Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,294
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros

sweatervest27, Nov 18, 2011

nanobrew, Nov 18, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -4.1%

Poure from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass. Beer was a hazy orange color, with a two-finger, white head. Slow carbonation and heavy lacing around the glass.

Aroma was hops, citrus and biscuit. Very nice.

Taste was bitter hops, biscuit, grain and grapefruit.

Dry finish. Really full and enjoyable beer. I could drink quite a few of these.

drumrboy22, Nov 18, 2011

CashMoneyVagrant, Nov 18, 2011

RTrain12, Nov 18, 2011

tmarq9, Nov 18, 2011

brianlindman, Nov 18, 2011

buffs9, Nov 18, 2011

imperialking, Nov 17, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

I first had this beer when it was called Cenotaph. I thought the beer was pretty good but when I had it again at the Three Floyds Anniversary Party I was pretty much blown away. Hands down the best American Pale ale I have ever had. You could say I was pretty bummed when I went to pick up my beers and this was sold out. Glad I got to try it on draft and hopefully will have some here in AZ soon.

Appearance: Served in my plastic cup this had a nice golden yellow color to it and a slight haze to it from what I could tell. Great color! Nice white capped head that stuck around right to the finish.

Smell: As soon as I took a whiff of this I was in heaven. Didn't expect to be treated with such a tremendous smell. All kinds of citrus going on. I detected mostly orange and mango followed by some pineapple and a little peach and grapefruit. Has a nice biscuit note on the end.

Taste: Aside from the wonderful smell the taste followed the nose completely. Lots of Citurs --mainly orange and mango. So easy to drink. Has a great cracker/biscuit quality on the after taste which I love in my IPA's and Pale Ales. Hardly any bitterness to this one at least compared a beer I drink regularly --Stone IPA. I think the recipe was definitely changed since Cenotaph because I do not recall loving this beer nearly as much. This beer brings it all-- smell and easy drinking, tastiness.

Mouthfeel: Has the perfect amount of carbonation. Had just the right amount of carbonation to deliver an awesome tasting experience. They nailed this one pretty much perfect.

Overall: I cannot say enough about what a great beer this is. I look forward to try it in the bottle. I can pretty confidently say that not only is this the best pale ale I have had but probably my new favorite beer in the ipa/pale ale category that Three Floyds produces. I used to think Daisy Cutter was the best pale ale out there but this one beats it and beats it solidly. It helps that my favorite hop being Citra is used in this one. I couldn't get enough of this beer when i was at the party and look forward to getting as much as people will trade me. If anyone reads this and wants to do a trade hit me up and I will definitely make it worth your while.

Rampage1, Nov 17, 2011

nathanjohnson, Nov 17, 2011

Lunch, Nov 17, 2011

Deeeeezzzzznuts, Nov 17, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Bright golden orange color. A bit on the unfiltered side. Large carbonation bubbles lead to a small, one finger, barely off white, cream colored head. Lace is kind of minimal right now and stays that way to the end.

Smell is fantastic! Huge citrus and pineapple smells. There is some pink grapefruit and tangerine. The hops really take a shotgun seat. Pine resin and leafy hop cones really make this a complete and wonderful nose.

Taste is similar to the nose but different. The really citrus flavors aren't at all as prominent and almost turn from a hop bitter to a malt bitter. There is a real earthy/grassy flavor that isn't detectable in the nose. I also get some malted sour apple candy taste.

Mouth is crisp and creamy. With a medium body and an average to long, wet finish.

Overall I really enjoyed this, but am over it. I have heard such great things about this APA, that maybe it coming from FFF I was expecting an IPA profile like Alpha King. Maybe I'm being way too hard on FFF, because I expected that. Rambling I may be, the point is. This is a fantastic beer. If you hold FFF to an ultra high standard, like I do, then you will be a bit disappointed. With this being said I am happy. Thanks to TIMMYJ21 for this extra.

azdback, Nov 17, 2011

Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle
Glassware: Globe glass
Purchased: Received in the US South LIF

Color is a hazy dark yellow/orange. The head is off-white and frothy, of maybe 2 fingers in height. Retention is good and lacing is very good.

Aromas are of hops, hops and more hops, featuring floral, grassy, citrus and tropical fruit characteristics.

Taste is crisp, clean and very bitter, with little malt presence. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky in the body and highly carbonated. Aftertastes are of hoppy, citrus bitterness.

As a vehicle for highlighting the Citra hop, this beer delivers well. Not a style I'm crazy about, but execution is excellent.

Thanks to Janderson91 for this one!

sommersb, Nov 17, 2011