Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 3,790
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -8%

4.45/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks for this one ChicacoJohn! Zombie Dust is one of those beers. I've heard so much about it, all positive. It will be very hard to live up to my expectations. Here goes.

12oz bottle (no dates) into a tulip. Pours a glowing orange w/ a thick fluffy white head, good retention, nice lacing. Delicate wisps of sediment suspended in the brew, moderate carb. A beautiful beer.

Aroma is tons of grapefruit and pine. A clean punch of tropical goodness. Basically smells like a really good IPA. One word: Citra.

Taste is pale dry biscuity malt, a good neutral canvas to showcase the delicious Citra hops. Just a touch of bubblegum. Somehow some of the expected IBU bitterness has been stripped away (I've since learned that the beer is only dry-hopped, which probably explains this), but I'm still tempted to classify this as an American IPA.

Mouthfeel is about what you'd expect. Medium body, clean, crisp. Finishes dry. Refreshing and super drinkable.

Overall, yes this is very good. Didn't quite live up to what I was expecting, probably because people talked it up soooo much. Similar to many American IPAs I've had. Beyond that, not quite sure it's worth all the fuss it has received. It's delicious, but there's nothing especially unique or different here.

4.15/5  rDev -10.2%

A friend of mine picked up a case of this at the brewery and he was kind enough to give me a 6 pack. I knew that this was highly praised by many, so I was excited to try it. All Three Floyd's bottles usually have some cool artwork, but the Zombie Dust bottles are one of my favorite.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - It looks awesome right off the bat when you pour it. Tan / golden brown with a nice 2 finger head

S - Right away the citrus / piney hops hit you hard. It's a nice, wet, hoppy smell.

T - The taste didn't blow me away, but it was very good. Very nice citrus and pine hop flavors and surprisingly easy to drink.

M - The mouth feel was average. It was a little thin for my liking, but the carbonation was just right.

O - Overall, if you have a chance to pick this up, definitely give it a try. Most people absolutely love it. But personally, I think there are better IPA's on the shelf that you don't have to hunt down to find.

4.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Had this right from the tap as it was popped open and let's just say I can see why it gooes so quickly

Appearance:a dark amber honey color, lactated tight white cloud colored head that leaves immedietly

Smell: like a orange grove with a light breeze

Taste: definelty my favorite part, it has great grapefruit with orange peels and little lemon zest

Mouthfeel: wow it is like I am drinking olive oil and water, but in a good way, having this great drink coating my mouth it is like the taste doesn't want to leave and I am ok with that

Overall: I see the hype and glad that a pub across the street from me has this on tap I seriously love this beer I really reminds me of pliny the elder with all the hop oil and bitterness denfintly a must have so much I think I will have a 3rd just cause

4.85/5  rDev +5%

Thanks to Shrode21 for the trade on this one.

A vigorous pour into my stemmed Allagash glass revealed a lovely orange colored beer with a huge bubbly head that lingered for a long time. The head left great lacing as it receded. The aroma is nice and lively with hops up front in the nose (perhaps I smell Chinook and Cascade?) The taste is extremely delightful and filled with citrus, bitterness, and a clean malt sweetness that underlies all the hop awesomeness. The initial flavor is of a nice hop citrus flavor that quickly gets shoved to the side by malty sweetness, and then the bitterness takes over and it finishes smooth and tasty. The taste evolves constantly in the mouth and is a very refreshing beer.

This is an excellent Pale Ale. I have had many IPA's that are not as hoppy as this Pale Ale, but this beer is extremely well balanced. The flavors are spot on and this is probably the best APA I have ever had. Thanks again to Shrode21 for the trade, this stuff rocks. Now, can I copy this with my homebrewing skills?

4.35/5  rDev -5.8%

Zombie Dust. Three Floyds pale ale with 100% Citra hops. 6.2% ABV.

Clear, amber/apricot/peach coloration. Generous heap of ample snowy white froth atop. with loads of lace-leaving. Looks great.

Aromatics: Big fresh and floral hoppitude, overflowing citrus notes. Some lemon, some lime, a hint of pineapple, a gesture towards mango. Loud, lively, and lovable.

Taste: boom, there it is, bouncing on the palate, swimming in the mouth, a flood of hoppy goodness. Medium malty mouthfeel, nothing too heavy, nothing too hard, just a ton of easy-drinking-ness. A flood of fruit hits the sense with each new sip, a blast of citrus greets the tongue and hits the roof, and slides down the throat. Very refreshing, and super-extra-consumable.

But is this the best thing ever brewed in the history of mankind? Don't think so. Come on, it's a pale ale. Get over it.

4.54/5  rDev -1.7%

Had this on-tap on 2012-06-19 in Warsaw, IN at The Downtown beer bar. Also had this on-cask on 2013-04-07 at the brew pub in Munster, IN (it was equally good, if not a little better on-cask)

A - Fairly clear, golden-orange with a 2-finger white head into a nonic glass, which fades pretty quickly and leaves mild lacing.

S - Big amounts of mango and papaya, some pineapple and orange flesh, pine, hop bud oils. More aroma than when I last had it in the bottle.

T - Mango, papaya and orange flesh. Nice amount of pine then some orange zest bitterness. The sweetness of the malt really compliments the fruit flavors and briefly gives a creamsicle impression. Finishes dry and nicely bitter but with a clinging tropical and citrus residue.

M - Creamy with medium body and carbonation. It's thicker than I expected, which seems to compliment the idea of biting into fresh fruit. Somewhat oily but not prickly. There's certainly enough carbnoation to scrub the tongue; leaving you ready for the next taste.

O - Just a fabulous APA although truth-be-told, it is more IPA than APA. Great, great stuff. Unfortunately for me, when I went to order my second pint with dinner, the waiter told me I'd my first glass killed their keg. A well; at least I got to taste it fresh on-tap less than 2-hours from the brewery.

4.25/5  rDev -8%

4.54/5  rDev -1.7%

My utmost thanks to my local trader, tone 77, for somehow scoring an ADDITIONAL bottle to pass on to me! My jaw hit the floor when I began going through his latest goodie bag and if he needs references, hopefully mine will suffice.

There was no gushing when I removed the cap, but there was a finger of thick, tawny head by the time that I finished with the pour. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was rich with citrus - grapefruit and orange in abundance. Mouthfeel was medium to full with a citrus intensity on the tongue that killed off all of the weak taste buds that got in its way. I felt like the fellow in the old Maxell tape commercial - blown back in my seat by the intensity of the experience. The finish was literally breathtaking - I really felt as though my breath had been taken away for a second or two after the swallow. The next thing to hit was the intensity of its dryness as I tried to catch my breath. The hops were toying with me to see if I measured up and I was doing my best to rise to the challenge. I suppose that my loss means that I will be transformed into a zombie at some point, but if a transformation must take place, better in my mind to be a zombie this way than a Cyberperson via a Minhas product.

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

I have been saving myself to write my first review until I tried this beer. It has taken 5 years, but I finally have gotten my hands on this marvelous brew.

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber color, not quite the right color for a pale ale, so this is my only knock on this beer. A one finger head dissipates as you drink it, but it leaves a little tracing on the glass

S: Grapefruit, hops, spice, and floral. Beautiful combination of beta acid hops stand out. As it warms, a slight sweetness takes over.

T: Juicy, the label had it right! There is a beautiful balance of malt and hops, slight herb, citrus, a bit of bread/yeast comes through as well. Slight bitterness as it finishes, but not a palate wrecker. Very crisp and refreshing.

M: Mild carbonation, coats your mouth, but doesn't linger like more hoppy beers.

O: This is my favorite new brew. I had read great things about this beer for 5 years, and have been waiting patiently to get my hands on it. Anytime anyone wants to trade this beer to me, I will not turn it down. What a great combination of hops and grain! I continue to be amazed as I drink this beer.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.