Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 3,904
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros
4.67/5  rDev +1.3%

Fresh from Three Floyd's brewery.
Poured into tulip glass

Appearance: A murky dirty orange color that reminds me of apple juice in color. It produced a frothy good two fingers amount of head that settled quickly to a small ring around the edges of the glass. There is a high amount of lacing.

Smell: Well lets just say this is very aromatic because I smelled it before I even poured it and then when it got in the glass the aromas seemed to just billow from my glass. Grapefruit, orange, pineapple, lemon...a very citrusy smelling beer! Simply awesome! There is obvious hop presence in the form of pine and grass but I wouldn't call it resiney. It is more of a tropical fruit mixed with the hops. One of the best smelling beers ever.

Taste: Up first is some of the grapefruit and orange fruit taste at the front of the tongue. In the middle I am tasting some of the maltiness and sweetness like caramel and that leads directly to the hops at the tail end. A wonderful bitter but not too bitter aftertaste that stays around for quite a while. Exceptional!

Mouthfeel: This is such an easy drinking beer that I could easily drink this on a regular basis and never get tired of it. It has the perfect carbonation and it's not too thick or thin but just enough to perfectly coat my mouth with all it's glory and leave it's awesome bitter bite mixed with the tropical fruits.

Overall: Even though I only live about 30 minutes from Three Floyd's I for some reason did not make the trip out there to get me some of this sweet nectar until about 2 weeks ago. It is absolute perfection especially on a hot summer day. Oh who the hell am I kidding it's perfect any time!

4.23/5  rDev -8.2%

A-pale orange/with nice frothy white head.

S-musty citrus/grapefruit. Musty is not my favorite. Citra hops. very hoppy.

T-grapefruit/pineapple/mango. very nice biscuity backbone to this one. well balanced. More of an amarillo/cascade taste.

M-medium body with a full carbonation. very nice.

HEADY TOPPER IS BETTER!! Sorry.

4.7/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color is a hazy, medium gold, and the head a off white creamy one finger high head. Sticks arround a little bit, and leaves good lacing.
The nose is a incredible arrangement of fruity hops. Citrus, lemon, pineapple,peach and orange.
The taste starts with the same flavors, just more intense. Than there are some malt flavors in the back, which somewhat check the hops. Some more dry hops finish the beer.
One of the best beers I have had. Great job! A must drink beer!

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Light orange color and clear with a moderate head formation

Big pungent aroma. For some reason I expected a different aroma based on my experience with Citra. It wasn’t quite as melony as I expected, more bright, acidic, and maybe even a bit dank. Really hard to put in words.

Love it from the first sip. Big hop flavor, and it’s just a different flavor than I’m accustomed to in APAs. The finish has this really awesome quality to it; it’s almost a tingly sensation with a lingering bite and flavor that is, again, just hard to describe or one that I’ve experienced before. Carbonation is good, if not on the high side for style. Malts play second fiddle, but they’re doing their part by keeping this strong hop somewhat grounded.

Overall it wasn't really what I expected, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. However, I really didn’t find it to be as full on hoppy as their Alpha King. I think I actually prefer it over Zombie Dust. Granted, I only had 6 oz of the “Dust” so I really need to enjoy a few more before awarding it the silver medal.

4.17/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottle on the RBSG 2012 bus. Clear orange with a sudsy white head. Piney aroma, grapefruit, pineapple and nectarine. Flavor tends a little more toward herbal with sap and resin, snappy citrus fruit framed by subtle malt. Crisp, flavorful, dry. Good stuff.

Fresh 12oz bottle of Zombie Dust poured into a brand new Three Floyds Teku glass.

A: Golden peach/amber, small head despite a fairly firm pour. Leaves behind lacing, and quickly dissipates to a light coating. Moderate to light carbonation.

S: The absolute best smelling beer out there. Very crisp. Intense citrus (lemon/grapefruit/orange rind), pine, grass, a somewhat tropical mixture of flavors.

T: A bit stronger (in a good way) than expected after the light, aromatic nose. POW! Citra, and loads of it. The amount that you'd expect in a DIPA, but with the lower ABV, this mixture is crisp and potent, without a strong alcohol taste. Malt balance is perfect, IMHO. After the full flavor subsides, a pine and citrus aftertaste is present in full force. Lasts quite a while. Perfect dry finish without overwhelming bitterness.

M: Carbonation is perfect, medium to light bodied, while still providing a very nice coating on the palate.

O: My favorite beer. FFF knocked it out of the park with this one. Every sip starts with a hoppy, tropical teaser, is followed by the ever-so-satisfying mouthfeel, and leaves behind a craving for another sip by taunting you with left-behind hops. Every time I go a without this for a little while, I forget just how off the charts it is. Thank God I'm close enough to the brewery to get this on a regular basis, cause finding bottles anywhere else is always a joke.

Review #1!

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.