Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 3,976
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 8,001 | Reviews: 1,328
4.7/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color is a hazy, medium gold, and the head a off white creamy one finger high head. Sticks arround a little bit, and leaves good lacing.
The nose is a incredible arrangement of fruity hops. Citrus, lemon, pineapple,peach and orange.
The taste starts with the same flavors, just more intense. Than there are some malt flavors in the back, which somewhat check the hops. Some more dry hops finish the beer.
One of the best beers I have had. Great job! A must drink beer!

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Light orange color and clear with a moderate head formation

Big pungent aroma. For some reason I expected a different aroma based on my experience with Citra. It wasn’t quite as melony as I expected, more bright, acidic, and maybe even a bit dank. Really hard to put in words.

Love it from the first sip. Big hop flavor, and it’s just a different flavor than I’m accustomed to in APAs. The finish has this really awesome quality to it; it’s almost a tingly sensation with a lingering bite and flavor that is, again, just hard to describe or one that I’ve experienced before. Carbonation is good, if not on the high side for style. Malts play second fiddle, but they’re doing their part by keeping this strong hop somewhat grounded.

Overall it wasn't really what I expected, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. However, I really didn’t find it to be as full on hoppy as their Alpha King. I think I actually prefer it over Zombie Dust. Granted, I only had 6 oz of the “Dust” so I really need to enjoy a few more before awarding it the silver medal.

4.17/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottle on the RBSG 2012 bus. Clear orange with a sudsy white head. Piney aroma, grapefruit, pineapple and nectarine. Flavor tends a little more toward herbal with sap and resin, snappy citrus fruit framed by subtle malt. Crisp, flavorful, dry. Good stuff.

Fresh 12oz bottle of Zombie Dust poured into a brand new Three Floyds Teku glass.

A: Golden peach/amber, small head despite a fairly firm pour. Leaves behind lacing, and quickly dissipates to a light coating. Moderate to light carbonation.

S: The absolute best smelling beer out there. Very crisp. Intense citrus (lemon/grapefruit/orange rind), pine, grass, a somewhat tropical mixture of flavors.

T: A bit stronger (in a good way) than expected after the light, aromatic nose. POW! Citra, and loads of it. The amount that you'd expect in a DIPA, but with the lower ABV, this mixture is crisp and potent, without a strong alcohol taste. Malt balance is perfect, IMHO. After the full flavor subsides, a pine and citrus aftertaste is present in full force. Lasts quite a while. Perfect dry finish without overwhelming bitterness.

M: Carbonation is perfect, medium to light bodied, while still providing a very nice coating on the palate.

O: My favorite beer. FFF knocked it out of the park with this one. Every sip starts with a hoppy, tropical teaser, is followed by the ever-so-satisfying mouthfeel, and leaves behind a craving for another sip by taunting you with left-behind hops. Every time I go a without this for a little while, I forget just how off the charts it is. Thank God I'm close enough to the brewery to get this on a regular basis, cause finding bottles anywhere else is always a joke.

Review #1!

4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

My 100th review, and I planned it such that I had one of my favorite beers at the right time. On tap at the brewpub in Munster on 8/12/12, served in a nonic pint.

Pour: Mostly clear deep orange with two fingers fluffy white head. Head diminishes to a light coating. Leaves great lacing.

Smell: Wow - a burst of tangerine and grapefruit, followed by some pine and pineapple. A nice caramel maltiness rounds out the nose. Very inviting.

Taste: Even better than the nose... Grapefruit and tangerines provides a beautiful citrusy opening. Gives a nice pine and orange bitterness. Caramel maltiness provides a really exceptional balance.

Mouthfeel: Not too bitter. Goes down so easily, but leaves an awesome bitter citrus/pine taste the palate. I could drink this all day.

Overall: One of, if not my favorite beer. Always a joy to drink this.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
No born on date but picked up from the brewpub within the last 2 or so weeks.

A big thanks to Hopsmatt for sending this one over in a trade

A: Pours a golden amber with just under 2 fingers width of slightly off white colored head, which takes a good amount of time to dissipate down.  Leaves a fair amount of streaky lacing.

S: Citrusy hops, fairly big pineapple along with lemon.  It also has a big resinous character as well, with juniper notes.  Smells nice but not the citrus presence others have been harping on.

T: Fairly dull flavors initially.  I mostly just get lemon and pine on the backend.  Some resiny notes as well. Improves as it warms.  Pretty tasty, but simple and nothing special.

M/D:  Appropriate carbonation, medium bodied, slightly drying finish, drinkability is good, this could definitely be a session beer.

O: I dont get the hype here.  Its a decent beer, but I am by no means blown away.  I definitely thought Alpha King was better, and to me it remains the standard of the style.  This one was good, but nothing special.  Maybe shipping in the warm weather hurt this one (but I think that may be giving it the benefit of the doubt as I get the majority of my reviewed beers from shipped trades and usually dont notice ill effects).  A fine beer that I would purchase again if it were a local, but not something Id seek out or trade for again.  Glad I got to try it though.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.