Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,475 | Ratings: 9,480
4.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle from Dale. Why hunt whales, when they wash up on the beach from time to time. Wasn't expecting this gem to turn up at my house tonight, but most certainly am very appreciative. Smooth, delicious, subtle, outstanding, too many other superlatives to mention. Just damned good...

4.46/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Was able to make it out to brew pub to have this fresh. Definitely a great beer, but I can't say that it lives up to some of the other great beers like this - especially having to wait nearly 2 hours to get to have it. I think PtE has it beat in terms of balance and flavor profile. With that being said, Zombie Dust is still a contender. It's an easy drinker loaded with hops.

12oz bottle that was bottled 12/23/15 poured into a tulip glass….

Look: Pours an amazing golden/orangish color. Nice head retention with plenty of lacing present.

Smell: Citrusy, hoppy, fruity, grapefruity.

Taste: Citra hops galore really hop up this pale ale. This thing is dank and awesome. Citrusy and fruity tasting. Super crisp.

Feel: Medium bodied. Crisp and soo refreshing!

Overall: This is hands down the best pale ale that I have ever tasted. Lives up to the hype in my opinion. Alpha King not far behind though. So far have had 4 different brews from these guys and all have been great. Seems like these guys can't miss.

4.48/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A - nice golden color with a half inch head and a little lacing. S - citrusy and sweet, very nice nose. T - fantastic APA, nothing overpowers, and citra hop taste is followed by a nice, mild bitterness. M - very smooth

Love this brew, one of my favorites and one I will always pick up if available in my area.

4.19/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours golden orange with short lasting white head. Aroma of citrus and that tel-tale Citra fruitiness with malt and slight nutty bisquit thing going on. The flavors are the same with good balance and a touch of sweetness. The feel is on the higher end of light, with a slight creaminess on the finish. Carbonation is moderate. Overall a great beer, but honestly not living up to the hype for me. We have local APAs / IPAs (Richmond, VA) most of you have not heard of that crush this IMO. Great beer though, don't hesitate.

4.91/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pour is hazy gold in color with tints of orange

Smell is citrus and hops. Strong aromas for sure. Underneath maybe some herby earthy notes as well

Taste is full flavor hops and a plesent mixture of citrus fruit. I've never had a beer with this much hops and full body that was as smooth and easy drinking. This flavor profile is out of this world

Overall this beer lives up to its lofty reputation. I personally am very cautious about giving 5's in a review. If this beer doesn't get a few then no beer should.

4.83/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers thus far. Hard to find where I live, so when I can get it, I don't pass it up. The ever famous citra hop shines through. Notes of orange also come through. Got this one when it was bottled 12 days ago. Great beer!
Have since had ZD the same day it was bottled and would give that an even higher score. Top 3 beer!

3.61/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Got a bottle of this from a friend who trades all the time. Didn't see a date on the bottle but i think it was old because this beer was nothing special. I can probably name 5 beers in my area that are better (Fresh!).
Hopefully i will be able to try a fresh one some day... but until then this gets an average rating.

4.96/5  rDev +9.3%

Another of my favorite Citra hopped beers. Beautiful golden hue, with plenty of lacing sticking to the glass. Plenty of grapefruit, orange, and citrus coming off the pour. Juicy and smooth on the tongue without a lasting bitterness. I could drink this one all day.

4.95/5  rDev +9%

World class beer all the way. Hops are decimated there but not overpowering to the point of ruining it. Exceptional drink ability. The color of honey and smell of grapefruit...almost peach that comes out. The most difficult beer to find yet.

Appearance: Radiant Gold
Smell: Fruity
Taste: Strong grapefruit/citrus.
Feel: Drinks easy without being too light or heavy.
Over All: This has become my absolute favorite beer. Everything about it is heavenly.

4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Bright, orangy yellow. Thick, snow white head.

S: Citrus, roasted nuts, allspice and herbs.

T: Easy drinking. Balance between citrus fruits and hoppy resins and warm savory nuttiness, even a hint of warm milk.

M: Not too thick or thin. Small, tight bubbles.

O: Very enjoyable APA. Agree with other reviewers that it's high quality, but maybe a little over promised and under delivered.

4.37/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A great, green hop tasting pale ale by 3Floyds. A light butter scotch malt profile followed by big
Grassy hop flavors, bitterness doesn't lingering making it very drinkable, beautiful golden color and thick white head.

4.04/5  rDev -11%

Pours a golden orange color, honey-like. Smells very citrusy, a little grassy. Taste is smooth and less bitter than I expected. Very strong orange, grapefruit taste at first, with a little pine and some maltiness coming into focus after you swallow. The mouthfeel is actually much thicker than I expected as well. I felt pretty full after drinking 12 oz. Overall I think this is very good, one of the best APAs I've had, but I think some of the hype for this beer is over the top. Very good, but not a divine revelation.

4.37/5  rDev -3.7%

I had the opportunity to visit FFF over the holidays. I went in completely unassuming. I live out of state and haven't experienced any of their beer. I would consider myself having above average knowledge of the craft world, and I enjoy a variety of styles, but I'm a hop-head first and foremost. First thing I noticed was the sign on the brewpub door that said "No Zombie Dust." This was the carry-out section of the brewery. My party went inside to eat and we put a name in with the host. We were told 20-25 minutes. They didn't have anywhere we could have a beer while we waited (major bummer), so we went and looked at merch. Cool stuff, if you're in to the comic/metal scene. I could take it or leave it, but I can still appreciate the creativity behind it all. We were called to a table after 20 minutes and immediately ordered flights (Alpha King, Alpha Klaus, Gumballhead, and Robert the Bruce). We also ordered full pints of Zombie Dust. My initial thought was this would be an IPA. I didn't realize it was an APA until I read about it several sips into the glass. We knew immediately this was a special beer. The citra hops release a very pleasant, and strong aroma. A fresh citrus front end with a heavy-hop finish was all I remember of the first half of my glass, it went down that easy. Extremely drinkable is the best way to describe this. You would not peg this beer to be 6%+. The girls all agreed this was very good and we rarely connect on the same beer. I will agree that much of the allure comes from the scarcity of this label, but it's still world class. I put it on a similar level as Maine MO which I think is excellent, too. I give the edge to ZD on taste and also price.. Cases were $40, tax included, which I see is up from $35 from a few years ago. I was surprised it wasn't more expensive, quite frankly. MO was at Total Wine recently for $9.99 for a 16oz bottle. ZD breaks down to a $10 six pack which is a tremendous deal for what you're getting. Granted, this is brewery pricing, so I could be wrong.. My overall opinion is that it's a top tier beer and the desirability is a lot of fun when you have some and your friends don't.

4.83/5  rDev +6.4%

All around, Zombie Dust is an exceptional American Pale Ale, showcasing the best of the Citra Hop. While TG's Psuedosue is very similar and even has a little more complexity of taste than it (have done side-by-sides numerous times), Zombie Dust always takes the cake with its balance, approachability and citrusy goodness.

While it remains my favorite APA and even IPA (lines are blurred a bit with ZD), it needs to be enjoyed fresh as the smell/taste fades quickly and becomes almost a different beer after 4 weeks. This is my only knock on it. Usually not a problem at retail as these brews move quickly.

4.6/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12 oz to becker. Somewhat clear with an amber color and a powerful aroma. Pine hops and fruit. Excellent flavor of pine (obviously) and nuts and with a little bitter kick. Lots of flavor. Cream mouthfeel. Overall excellent.

3.53/5  rDev -22.2%

Enjoyed this from bottle and keg. Keg was better.

Slight aroma, nice color.
A very drinkable pale ale....clean and smooth.
Didnt linger on the palate as long as I would like.

I liked this beer, but to me, didn't live up to the hype.

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark golden orange color with tangerine edges and a two finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a thick, lasting ring. Excellent retention, taking a while to settle and coating the glass with large streaks of soapy lacing.

Dank floral hop aroma with earthy resins and freh cut grass countered by sweet citrus/tropical fruit and a pale malt backbone. Grassy pine and dank buds along with grapefruit, pineapple and blood orange zest. Really nice sweeter counterbalance to the bitter earthiness. Pale malts evident without hindering the hop character with notes of biscuit and grainy cracker. Smells pretty good.

Medium body but on the full side for a pale ale. Blast of dry, earthy bitterness up front that lingers over the sweeter hop notes and pale malt backbone into a crisp, dry finish. Grassy pine, spruce tip and dank, sticky resins followed by a nice tropical/citrus fruit presence. Some tart ruby red grapefruit, pineapple and zesty orange peel. Pale malt with subtle caramel sweetness, toffee, light toast, biscuit and grainy graham cracker. Malts are stronger than expected but don't interfere with the excellent hop flavors. Instead, they provide great balance and contribute to the drinkability of this crushable beer. The bitterness is just so dank and flavorful without being too strong or overpowering. Another very nice beer from Three Floyds.

4.64/5  rDev +2.2%

I have heard a lot of buzz about this one and had the fortune of trying it a few months ago. It is extreme citrus, which I like. The hops are definitely there but there isn't a bite. The smell and the feel are absolutely the star.

4.16/5  rDev -8.4%

OK, overrated IMO. I prefer the profile and body of Alpha King to this. This is more light bodied and dry-hoped than that beer. Fantastic, no doubt, just not the best FFF offering.

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Full disclosure: I'm not sure I can give any pale ale straight 5.0's....it's just a pale ale after all, right? Well, this beer puts that instinct to the test!.

The star is definitely the nose. It's one of those beers that after popping the top you go around to any adult in sight screaming "Oh my gosh, you have to smell this." A lovely citrus bouquet. This is without a doubt the most fragrant pale ale I have ever had. Great carbonation and mouthfeel. This would absolutely be my go-to beer if it came in 12-packs here in Alaska (will NEVER happen, but a man can dream).

4.08/5  rDev -10.1%

Good beer. Too much hype. Was expecting world changing instead just really good pale ale.

I'd take any of the trilliums pales over this, and a slew of ipas.

4.3/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pale orange color with a thumb sized cream colored head.

Nose is lots of hop aromas citrus and tropical fruits with good doses of pine thrown in for good measure. Defiantly a 3 Floyds nose on this one. Malt is muted by hops but does offer some sweetness to the nose.

Taste is fairly bitter hops right away citrus with lingering pine bitterness. The fruity notes in the nose seem to be overrun or non existent in the flavor. There is a burst of carbonation at first sip that tends to lay the pine resin on your tongue. The malt also comes out in the finish along with lingering pine and dryness. A solid Pale Ale no doubt but maybe little over hyped for me, as i was expecting nirvana.

Mouthfeel is light with a burst of carbonation to lay down all the alpha acids.

Overall a fairly solid Pale Ale that could pass for an IPA. But for those who haven't had it don't worry too much about it is not the Holy Grail by any means. That being said TY Tara for bringing me a 12 pack back with you from your visit with the family.

4.64/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber poured into a tulip. Light orange to honey under a slight tan foam that settles after a few moments to a thin layer of bubbles. The head clings to the glass in a thick band that leaves a globby lace. The nose is deeply citric with pine resin on the background with an underlying sweetness that suggests brown sugar. Juicy citric hops upfront with a touch of malt sweetness that turns bitter turning to dry. Perfect carbonation with a dry mouth and a light, pleasant lingering hop fueled bitterness. Overall I can see why this one gets such high marks, this is a great beer! Big thanks to Abu for the bottle!

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.