Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,228
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,449 | Reviews: 1,428
4.47/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to Tim from the beer club for bringing me a six pack today at work! Poured into my DFH pint glass. Beautiful hazy orange color with a nice head that give way to some decent lacing. I could smell it from across my desk when I poured it, the wonderful fruity notes from the citra hops! It reminds me a lot of the Laughing Dog citra hop ale they did for Capital Ale Houses 10th anniversary. "I wish it were winter, we could make it into ice blocks and skate on it! And then melt it in the spring time and drink it!" Yeah, wish I had more than a sixer.

4.35/5  rDev -5.6%

A - clear golden straw color with a solid finger of white head that retains only slightly and leaves minimal lacing

S - I'm getting some serious oniony/earthy and citrus hop notes from this bottle (previous bottle was more fruit/citrus)... Pretty strong so it overpowers any effect of malt... Nice clean aroma that gets you excited to drink

T - the hops are in your face... Earthy/oniony to start, with a little hint of some malty sweetness in between before the citrus hops finish it off... They obviously wanted the hops to be the primary target, so the malt character was left very basic and minimal

M - vibrant, not harsh... Almost perfect amount of carbonation for an ipa

O - one of my top 5 IPAs of all time... Definitely should grab this one if you can

4.77/5  rDev +3.5%

I was very excited to finally try this beer. It lives up to my expectations.

Appearance: A nice orange- light copper with a white one finger head and some good lacing.

Aroma: Very hoppy. Grapefruit, pine, pineapple, tangerine, mango, and a little floral.

Taste: Very similar to the aroma. Tropical fruits and pine. A little bit of caramel-toasty malt. The malt becomes a bit stronger as the beer warms, but the hops dominate heavily all throughout.

Mouthfeel: Median bodied and carbonation. The finish is a little dry and hops bitterness lingers shortly. Very easy to drink.

Overall: This is a great hoppy pale ale. It leans more of an IPA. Tons of flavors. I really enjoyed Zombie Dust and something I will happily have again.

4.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After I've enjoyed a total of 3 cases of this beer over the past year I think I'll finally rate it.

It has truly been a pleasure getting to try this beer, and I've been lucky enough to be able to travel to this brewery twice in the past few months.... I can't sing their praises enough.

A&S: beautiful opaque deep copper colored beer. Layers of foamy white lacing, head stays in a thin layer on the top. Powerful citrus (peeled orange) and floral (lemon grassy) scents. Sight tropical and grapefruittyness to it as as well.

T&M: Not super complex, but quite a knock out as far as a bold tasting brew. Taste is very similar to the smell only more citrus. The finish is splendidly bitterness, clean, and dry. Body is medium and carbonation is mild.

overall: Easily the best pale I've ever had, I couldn't think of a better beer to relax with on a late spring/early fall. All the extras with this beer are nice as well: great bottle design and name.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: Zombie Dust pours a hazy deep orange color and is topped with ¾” of off white colored head that tends to linger nicely. Belgian lacing lines the glass part of the way down the pint.
Smell: The blast of citrus and grassy notes hit the nostrils with force. I think this is going to be a very delicious version of an American Pale.
Taste: The taste isn’t as pronounced as the smell; it has a little more balance to it which is what an APA should be. Hops should be present but they should play nicely with the malt.
Mouthfeel: This is a medium bodied beer that is easy drinking and well balanced, very enjoyable APA. Great job Three Floyds.

4.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Hook up from Sir_Win in Indiana - thanks, man! Pours a hazy, copper, deep-amber color. Humongous off-white head starts boiling immediately, even with a delicate pour; lots of staying power and a ton of nice lacing.

The aroma of this beer, for lack of a better term, is fucking amazing. As soon as you open the bottle, a surge of fruit and hops jumps out at you. You dip your nose to the glass and it bum-rushes your nostrils like no other. JAM PACKED with all kinds of fruits; tangerines, oranges, grapefruits, papaya, pineapple. The description of the beer on the bottle is very accurate - this beer's aroma is GUSHING with citrus. It's incredible. The citrus is outlined with an incredible hop portrait; resinous, piney, oily, slightly floral and dank. Perfect aroma for a pale ale.

At this point, I'm just hoping that the smell doesn't get my hopes up so high only to be let down by the taste. It doesn't - this beer delivers, HARD. The hops are more up front in the taste than they were in the aroma, and it works perfectly. You're still getting the incredible citrus on the nose and the extra hops on the tongue - perfect harmony and synthesis of the senses. Bitter spikes and oily and resinous hops take over for a bit, mellowed out by the grapefruits, tangerines, pineapples, and mangoes in the background.

The hops round out a bit as the beer warms up, and the citrus flavors evolve even more. This beer is seriously insane, one of the best things I've ever tasted. Little malt and yeast on the very tail end. Not much, but really, when your hop profile is this amazing, it doesn't leave much of one to be desired. Just a phenomenal flavor and aroma profile that synthesize extraordinarily well. Medium body, medium-high carbonation, ever so slightly sticky.

Good lord. After I had a Pliny the Elder, I thought I'd never have another hop-forward beer better than it. I take that back. Pliny is damn good, but Zombie Dust is goddamn incredible. Literally, a PERFECT combo of bitter and sweet, hops and citrus, every sip blows my mind all over again. And that nose... my GOD that nose. Unbelievable. Whether you consider this a PA or an IPA doesn't matter - just know that it's an amazing beer. If I could get my hands on this easily, I would drink it all day, until the day I died. All hail the Citra hop, all hail motherfuckin' Zombie Dust.

EDIT: 4/3/2013

Finally received some more of this after putting it off for so long (thanks MCain04). I was afraid this time around that it wouldn't be as good. I was worried that maybe I had hyped it up to myself before and that I was overrating it big-time. I was scared that my palate had changed and Zombie Dust would no longer be the same sweet nectar I fell in love with the first time around. Luckily all of my worries were wiped away the second I cracked open the bottle, took a nice whiff and had another sip. This stuff is simply amazing. So perfectly balanced and so insanely drinkable. All things considered, this is still one of THE best beers out there, in my opinion.

4.32/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Pours a nice amber color with a finger head

S-The smell is out of control. All citrus and strong.

T -Lots of citrus here as well. I little bit of pine as well.

M - Very smooth.

O - This is a beer that I had been trying to get for sometime and finally accomplished it over the summer. It lived up to the hype. I wanted to savor these over a few night, but had 3 one night and 3 the next.

4.08/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Since there is so much fuss about this beer I decided to just rate it without bias. Three Floyds makes a damn good beer, but their cocky attitude at the brewpub multiple times left me boycotting for awhile. Alas, I gave in on a sixer the other day.

A- About 1 finger worth of head, and a moderate amount of lacing. A pale goldenrod color that is translucent.

S- Definitely smell sweet mango, with some subtle grapefruit and tangerines hints at the end. Also smell some light malt that really complements the mango.

T- First thing I taste is bitter pine, which leads to grapefruit to mango. It seems to go from bitter to sweet, and ends nicely with some light malty goodness.

M- High carbonation that stings the tongue, but not too overwhelming. Medium bodied.

O- A damn good beer. However, I believe it smelled better than it tasted. I feel like the pine overwhelmed the citrus flavors. But it is Three Floyds, they love their bitter hops. Lives up to the hype.

4.92/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle to the tulipsnifter...b/c that's how I seem to roll often.

A - pours a slightly hazy copper-amber with bubbles rising; quarter-inch head; lacing present and consistent

S - the smell on this is ridiculous; citrus; mango; kiwi; apricot; melon; delicious piney hops; caramel malts; sweet fruit

T - the tropical fruits come through with all of the aforementioned smells present in flavor-form; mango; grapefruit; pineapple; sweet pine deliciousness

M - this is pretty carbonated and dry; medium finish; smooth and buttery; hotdamn it's silky and amazing

O - stands up to its reputation; I've recently had Dreadknaught and Apocalypse Cow and while both of those have significantly more heat, Zombie Dust takes the cake with balance, flavor, and pale ale (IPA) perfection. One of the best beers I've ever had to date and being a hophead, something I can honestly session...if only I had cases of this!

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a small snifter. No bottle dating. Orange marmalade in color with a slight haze. White head, moderate retention. Oily clear lacing. Clearly loaded with hops. Aroma dominated by apricot hoppy goodness with a touch of malt sweetness hiding behind it. Taste obviously has a nice biting bitterness to it, the hops are citrussy and once again, apricot stands out with some grapefruit. Exceptionally easy to drink and very tasty.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Copper/Orange with two fingers of white head. Light, spotty lacing.

S: Pine, citrus and tropical fruit.

T: Citrus. Lots of grapefruit, some mango and pine. Bitter hops with very little maltiness.

M: Medium body and carbonation with dry finish.

O: One of the best pale ales around. ...Though it should really be classified as an IPA.

on tap at the brewpub on more than one occasion.

this is why i started loving beer, rather than liking it. the first sip is just WOW! and you want more, FFF really hit a cult classic with this brew.

A: light is color with a white head.

S: HOPS, HOPS, HOPS, citrus, grapefruit, any fruit you can imagine into this beer is there.

T: HOPS, fruit, malts, and more HOPS.

M: fizzy but not like a $5 6-pack, like a very good pale ale.

O: would drink this again, and again, and again, and again, and again.. if you get the chance to order this on tap or if a friend offers you a 12oz bottle, don't turn it down!

cheers!

4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

I ordered an an Arctic Panzer Wolf before I realized what I was missing. Panzer Wolf is very good, but too hot. Zombie Dust is exactly what I wanted. The panzer wolf is left panting in the dust.

A- great lacing, decent color. Clear. Not remarkable, but nice.
S- Subtle, but great nose. Accurately reflects its flavor. Pine and citrus.
T- Wow. Great beer. Head slap, but I want more. Impressive.
M- not too dry or bitter. Touches all my taste buds.

Deserve a world-class rating. I can't believe I lasted this long without this beer.

4.45/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

HUGE thanks to my buddy Doug for hooking me up with a few of these to finally get to try. Poured into a Weyerbacher tulip glass...

A - Poured a slightly hazy, apricot color that had some nice gold hues when held to the light. An off-white, 2 finger head formed and retained nicely. Some nice lacing was left along the glass

S - Really bright, fruity aromas right from the start. Big notes of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, honeydew mellon, and lots of lemon/citrus notes. Sweet biscuit and caramel malts provide a background for these sweet fruit aromas. There's a bit of pine on the backend of the nose too.

T - Tropical fruits all over the place! Fresh, bright flavors of mango, grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine and lemon right up front. A bready, caramel, biscuit malt stands up nicely with the fruit notes of the flavor profile. Some resin and some slight bitter pine is present as well adding nicely to the flavors here.

M - Medium bodied beer that at times is slightly on the lighter side. Slightly dry finish to this one. Medium level of carbonation.

O - Really stellar sessionable pale ale. The flavors are what I want in a hop forward beer all the time. Glad I got to try this one. Hope to get some more sometime soon!

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

A - A clearish coppery orange honey color, poured into my FFF Teku glass. 1.5 finger white head that dissipates rather quick.

S - CITRUS! lol The nose on this beast is perfect, probably my favorite. Grapefruit and orange peel come through the most for me. Fruit seems to be on the tropical side. Amazing nose!

T - The front end is intense with a citrusy hop filled burst that finishes clean and smooth. Taste, that lives up to the smell.

M - Light-Medium bodied with a bite of carbonation. Very drinkable but too many will wreck your pallet.

FFF is a great brewery and ZD is an amazing beer. I have yet to have this on tap but will continue to look. Highly recommended brew that lives up to the hype.

4.77/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from 12 oz Bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a clear orangish gold with about an inch off white head; very appetizing.

S - slight citrus, grapefruit, hops, but not bitter.

T - Upon fist sip, I get hops as expected with an undead pale ale but right after; grapefruit and a sweet fruitiness followed by a strong flavor of Citra hops. dry finish. Really reminds me of a dryer version of Gumballhead.

M - just what you'd want, it goes down smooth. Not really good at describing mouthfeel.

O - This is my favorite pale ale.Probably the BEST pale ale far as taste and balance goes. I love the citrus that offsets the dryness. Its not overly bitter that its smacks you, or ruins your taste-buds for the night. It's a really balanced and really refreshing pale ale. Glad I'm so close to the brewery so I can get this stuff whenever available. if you have the oppertunity dont hesitate.

4.45/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy caramel-amber in color, with a rich and foamy head of thick, extravagant lacing.

Nose is tropical fruit hops, simultaneously sweet and tangy. Marvelous!

Taste is lovely citrus-tangy and hoppy, with a firm and heavy malt foundation. Still, the taste is predominantly hops, and this premium pale ale is absolutely a winner in my book. I'd repeatedly purchase if I could find this anywhere!

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

poured into a pint glass.

i heard all the hype around this beer and it made me drive to the brewpub and try it.

I was very happy with this brew.

Pours a hazy golden color with 1 finger head on it

taste like fresh citris and notes of pine and greapdruit .

medium body - drinks great on a hot day

it finishes with a strong dry hop

All in all this is my favorite beer to drink anytime, doesnt amtter if you sittin in tha garage with a few friends, or at the pub on a cold winter day.

4.05/5  rDev -12.1%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap (and nice art, for that matter) served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given its current ratings and the hype surrounding it. I believe this is my first purely Three Floyds review - though I did have the Boogoop collaboration. No visible bottled on date.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm slightly over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted pretzels.

Some foam ballooned out when I opened it, but there wasn't any upsurge of beer or anything. It might be a bit overcarbonated.

A: Pours a three finger luscious beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention. Body colour is a hazy copper-gold. Vibrant and appealing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Delightful floral hops and some lemon citrus twang. Grapefruit. Lemongrass, lemon zest. Hints of pine. Pale clean malts. A good balance of floral and citrus hop notes. I'm excited to try it, but the aroma itself isn't blowing me away. A moderate strength aroma, and a pleasant and fresh one.

T: Delightful floral hops throughout, but with an underlying soapy hint (maybe a bit too long spent in primary?). It's a minor issue, but it does distract. Some pleasant grapefruit and lemon citrus esters introduce themselves mid-second act and hang around through the climax. Pale malts provide the clean, unobtrusive foundation - letting the hops take the forefront but also giving a bit of sweetness to hide the hop bitterness. I actually get a bit of alcohol warmth in the stomach - shocking at its mere 6.40%, but I'd consider this a pleasant warming sensation in the winter. Hints of a candi sugar like sweetness beneath the surface. It's very nicely balanced and rather refreshing. Delightfully built. I'm not blown away by its complexity, but it's well put together and succeeds within the style. I get no yeasty notes. A bit too much buttery character on the finish.

Maybe I expect a hoppy character on par with a good IPA, but I have to remember it's a pale ale. It's a masterfully brewed one at that, but I do think there's room for more complexity within the style.

Mf: Chewy, smooth, soft, wet. Carbonation and thickness are ideal. Good presence on the palate. Has enough body to present its flavours. Refreshing. Slightly oily. Even a touch buttery - too much so on the finish.

Dr: Probably its best attribute is its high drinkability. I could down this one all night. Dangerously drinkable. It's a great pale ale - amongst the best I've had - but I have to admit I expected more given the hype. It's not a perfect beer as its current 100 rating might suggest. It doesn't hide its relatively modest ABV all that well, and it doesn't bring the complexity I think a perfect beer in this style would. I'm glad I got to try it and I'd definitely have it again - preferably fresh on draught. I want another already. Wow. I can't wait to try more beers from Three Floyds.

Constructively, I will say that its main flaw is that it uses a buttery quality to hide the hop bitterness on the finish. It works here, but lacks the seamless subtlety of more masterful brews. A great example of the style would integrate its hop bitterness as a positive characteristic. It's tough to do here because this is a pale ale with the hoppiness of an IPA but not enough of a malty backbone. I appreciate the experimentation within the style, but with some work this could be truly amazing.

B+

Best consumed sans food, or perchance with some unsalted pretzels or bread.

Serve cold.

A poor candidate for aging. Drink fresh.

----

Taking some more notes on this having received a bottle from the gracious Duff27 in a trade.

A: Pours a soft appealing frothy head of good cream. Body colour is a vibrant pale copper. Appearance is good for the style, but not special or unique.

Sm: Hoppy and bready, with hop character of juicy citrus, light grassy character, grapefruit, lemon zest, light pine, and heavy floral character. It's a bit murky yet still fresh; maybe it's a bit too grassy. Pleasant. I don't get any yeast or alcohol.

T/Mf: Juicy bursts of refreshing citrus hop notes and nectary character. Ideal crisp pale malt foundation. Smooth and wet. Very refreshing and pleasant to drink - a highlight of the beer. Delightfully well balanced and built, with impressive subtlety for the style. Not as grassy as the aroma. Clean. Good carbonation. It's not biting or sharp. Hop-forward without being too assertive or overbearing; they packed a lot of flavour in here.

Dr: Extremely high. I could easily chug this. Very impressive. I could stick with this all night and never grow tired of it. Quite delightful. This was definitely more fresh than the first bottle I reviewed.

A-

4.42/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: Golden/amber in color with a nice 1 finger head that dissipates a bit in a few minutes.

Smell: Intense, multi-layered hop bouquet that punches you in the face. The smell is almost sour, if you will, from the intense concentration of hops. This is just a pale ale eh? Phhh.

Taste: Definitely matches the nose. Upfront you're hit with grapefruit and citrus. The end cuts out nicely. A dry, bready finish gives way to a bit of lingering bitterness that just agrees with the tongue and proceeds to smoothly be unnoticeable. The unique, initial hopsmack you get in the beginning is pretty cool compared to the dry, restrained finish.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, the hops attack your tongue and can't be forgotten, moreso than most mere pale ales.

Overall: A good beer that in my opinion tastes very similar to Pliny The Elder. Sessionable as hell, and tasty to boot. Would drink again.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

This is my new favorite beer. My favorite bartender here in Fort Wayne, IN suggested it to me and boy was he right! This is a new level for IPAs and honestly the new standard. I've been drinking beer for awhile now and honestly this is the best IPA I've had yet. If you ever get a chance to taste this direct from the tap I highly suggest it!

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

My favorite Three Floyds beer to date and one deserving of its high rating and lavish praise. Pours deep gold with good clarity and a small, cream colored head that settles fairly quickly. Clingy patches of lace stick to the sides of the glass.

Huge, hoppy citra aroma and flavor; very little sweetness; dry finish; lots of lingering bitterness. Fresh pine, citrus, pineapple, mild oniony, catty note beneath, super juicy. Minimal malt presence, just the slightest dry, bready backbone.

Medium body, medium, somewhat lively carbonation but retains a level of creamy smoothness as well. Terrific mouthfeel and simply terrific overall; does a lovely job of balancing intricate hoppy flavor with just the right amount of bitterness; the latter never overwhelms the tastiest aspects of the beer. Thanks to Mjmoser for a handful of ridiculously fresh bottles!

4.17/5  rDev -9.5%

Thanks to Savearth for throwing a few bottles this in as extras in our IP trade. I have been interested in this one for a while, only to have it elude me. The hopophobe wife passed on beer last night, meaning it is Zombie Dust time. Fittingly,also Walking Dead time.

The pour gives a lot of head and a cloudy, burnt orange pour. The smell is fruit forward. Juicy fruit gum comes to mind with a wallop of hops thrown in. Taste is similar, but comes with a chaser that I associate with Libby's Fruit Cocktail. medium in body and carbonation, easy drinker.

Really good stuff. Not the life event I was hoping for, but I enjoyed this beer.

4.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a beautiful orange hazy amber stone with sticky white head.

Smell is floral tropical fruits of papaya, guava, mango and grapefruit. Lingering pine and a sweet maltiness.

Tastes is very tropical with the malt balancing this act. A taste like no other that really transcends all others.

Mouthfeel is creamy and quenching. Tropical fruits linger.

Masterfully crafted by one of the best. Really stands alone in quality. A tremendously tremendous craft!

4.27/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours golden orange with a nice white head. Aroma of sweet tropical and citrus fruits with bit of a sweet bready malt underbelly. A very nice sweet and juicy flavor of some tropical and citric fruits, less malt presence in the flavor than was in the aroma. A nice, medium, active body. Overall, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome beer. Tops the list of APA's for me, wish I had consistent access to this.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.