Join our email list →

Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,531
3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

American Pale Ale (APA) | 6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,412 | Hads: 9,177

Its without a doubt one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure of drinking! I stop by the The Floyds Brewery every time I get a chance. If your lucky they might have some for sale. They limit how much you can buy so I'll usually get as much as they'll let me. Its great out of a bottle but its even better on tap.

on tap at the brewpub on more than one occasion.

this is why i started loving beer, rather than liking it. the first sip is just WOW! and you want more, FFF really hit a cult classic with this brew.

A: light is color with a white head.

S: HOPS, HOPS, HOPS, citrus, grapefruit, any fruit you can imagine into this beer is there.

T: HOPS, fruit, malts, and more HOPS.

M: fizzy but not like a $5 6-pack, like a very good pale ale.

O: would drink this again, and again, and again, and again, and again.. if you get the chance to order this on tap or if a friend offers you a 12oz bottle, don't turn it down!

cheers!

A- Really nice dark, orange. Poured with a thick off white head with really great retention. After sitting for a few minutes the head is holding strong. Very cloudy ale, but nothing floating around. Really, really nice looking.

S - Lots of hops. Very citrusy aroma. It smells so clean and fresh. Unbelievable.

T - HOLY SH%T! A pale ale that has no taste of a lager lingering around. I can imagine myself drinking nothing but this beer for the rest of my days and I'm really ok with that. Sadly this will be my last one, at least for now.

M - Tastes clean and crisp. Lots of carbonation, which I love in hoppy ales. Very smooth and doesn't leave too much hop oil on the palette.

O - Best pale ale of all time? Probably. Really glad my good friends hooked me up with this. One of the best beers I've had, and really glad it lived up to its reputation. I'm giving it a perfect review. If you don't like it, I hope a Zombie kills you.

Appearance - somewhat clouded peach-tinted golden color. Head is puffing up quickly to about a finger and a half. Holds some of the sediment from the bottom, like sprinkled cinnamon on a meringue. Steady action from below, keeping the head in good shape.

Aroma - piny and grapefruit combo, good resilience, mmm....

Taste - the citrus side of the hops hits immediately with the sturdy grain base, the balance is great right from the start. Moving to mid-palate, the grains subside and the hops go a little twangy, prickly on the tongue. Just about where they'd start to get a little medicinal, they begin to ease up instead. The finish stays mildly bitter but fills the mouth just the same. Grapefruit rind at the end.

Mouthfeel - quite smooth, very crisp, medium+ body.

Overall - excellent session pale. Thanks to my buddy Steve for picking up a few of these on his last trip to Munster. Enjoyed it during the WEBN 2013 fireworks, aptly zombie-themed this year. I really enjoyed this beer despite the hype. Too often, once I hear all the accolades, I find it hard to enjoy the beer afterwards - so much pressure! :-)

"But I can't pay attention 'cause I'm on that dust" - Prost!

I am coming back now to write a quick blurb on this beer. I have had it on tap at 3F's and it was amazing, but I hadnt had a chance to sit down at home, pour my own, and really think about it...

A great friend from IL just sent me a fresh 12 pack of these beauties and I sat down to properly enjoy one poured into my 3F's Teku. THIS BEER IS AMAZING! I thought maybe I had built it up in my head based on other reviews and the excitement I had to drink more, but that is NOT the case. This is the perfect beer. Litterally. If I could rated this at a 10 I would.

This beer is everything that I want from an IPA (I know, its an APA), you can sip it slowly, you can session it, you can live on it. I would drink this every day if it was possible. Seek out this beer and savor every sip.

12oz bottle that was bottled 12/23/15 poured into a tulip glass….

Look: Pours an amazing golden/orangish color. Nice head retention with plenty of lacing present.

Smell: Citrusy, hoppy, fruity, grapefruity.

Taste: Citra hops galore really hop up this pale ale. This thing is dank and awesome. Citrusy and fruity tasting. Super crisp.

Feel: Medium bodied. Crisp and soo refreshing!

Overall: This is hands down the best pale ale that I have ever tasted. Lives up to the hype in my opinion. Alpha King not far behind though. So far have had 4 different brews from these guys and all have been great. Seems like these guys can't miss.

Only had one bottle to try, great smell of hops and citrus, nice one finger head that lasted, taste like heaven in a bottle, Had a surly furious the other day, and this one ranks just as well. can't wait to get my hands on some more of this great tasting pale ale.

The taste, look, feel and craftsmanship of this beer is of the charts. By far my favorite APA. The best and most sure fire way to acquire Zombie Dust is to watch the 3 Floyds websites "Beers To Go" page (http://www.3floyds.com/beers-to-go/) and making a trip to the brewery or by stalking your local liquor store (If you live the Chicago / Northwestern Indiana area), making friend s with it's employees, and learning what day and time the distributor makes his delivery. Some what pathetic behavior I know but what can I say....it's a damn good beer.

12 oz. bottle into a Three Floyds pint

A- Orange lemon in appearance. Slight haze. Head lasts a long time.

S - Citrus ... all grapefruit citrus with a little malt sweetness and cut grass .to the smell. Overall, it makes the mouth water and anticipate the beer to come.

T - Starts out malt sweet, but citrus and hops rush the taste buds. All I can say about this is mmmm.

M - Juicy mouthfeel, perfect carbonation.

O - An excellent beer and example of the APA style. Three Floyds has nailed it.

My perfect beer. First, 3 Floyds appearance and smell are consistently great. Zombie Dust takes the taste and mouthfeel beyond their other great beers. I love bitter beers with little sweetness. ZD has a consistent taste from start to finish. It is also one of the only beers that tastes the same whenever I have it.

Took forever to get my hands on 2 bottles and i live in same state and only hour away from brewery. Amazing beer worthe the hunt. Its smells fruity and taste like it but not to much just the right amout with a good hops backbone. Get this beer dont pass it up

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Grey Sail pint glass.

Appearance- Hazy copper/orange color. Light white head with moderate lacing.

Smell- Incredible. Sweet fruits, floral hops, and light earthy/herbaceous notes.

Taste- Supremely well balanced. The malt character plays with the hop bitterness perfectly. Grapefruit, orange rind flavors.

Mouthfeel- So smooth and not overly carbonated at all. Slightly resinous, but pretty light in body

Overall- I could drink this all day.

On tap at the Three Floyd's. Smell is strong and crisp. Glorious hops. This is one of my favorite beers. So glad I got to have it on cask. Everything is so strong and pronounced. I can't think of one thing I'd change about this beer. I wish FFF distributed to CT. This might be my favorite beer. No carb room temp... Hell yeah! Adds so much to this beer.

Reviewed this two years ago with a 4.75.
Last year with a 4.85.
This year a true 5.0.
Look and mouth feel are wonderful.
Smell and taste is....... Nectar of the gods.
Give it a taste after testing any other brew and
"welcome home" comes to mind.
It's very close to perfect.

did some cutting and pasting here from my tap review. have worked my way through a case and a half at this point which i purchased on release day. this did not disappoint. to my mind, many beers are much better ontap, and i was worried this would lose something in the bottle. it didn't. if given tap and a fresh bottle blind it'd be nigh impossible for me to tell the difference.

a: deep gold w/orange highlights with a thick, persistent white head and lush lacing coating the glass.
s: citra hop aromas explode out of the glass-a bigger nose than most DIPAs. lemons and tropical fruit come to mind. pale malts in the background. aroma is far better than i can do justice to. i could just smell this all day long.
t: superbly balanced between the light to medium doughy/honey-like malt sweetness and the big, smooth hop bitterness. the thing that stands out the most is how juicy and fruity the hops are mid-palate. more juicy hops even than broodoo, hopslam, etc. loving the citra. hops get a slight grassy/resiny aspect in the finish. finishes dryish and clean with lingering juicy hop flavors. the malt/hop balance in this is impeccable. each sips begs another.
m: medium-bodied and softly carbed.
o: this can satisfy as a warm weather 'having a few' beer, or as a sipper-the flavors are much bigger than the abv would suggest. this is the only beer (gumball is close) that i can just drink over and over and over and not tire of it...it's all i want to drink and i have been struggling to consume some of the other standbys in my beer fridge.

Finally getting around to review this. I had ZD before it was ZD </superbeernerd>. Thanks to Darryl for bringing a bunch back from his band trip. Poured into my Hill farmstead tulip.

A- Beautiful golden orange color with light head that sticks to the sides of the glass and laces perfectly.

S - Pure fruit nose. Probably the best smelling beer I've ever smelled. TONS of fruit (mango, pineapple, and the like).

T - Taste is more of the same. Infinite mango and pineapple without being overly bitter. This is the beer to showcase exactly what Citra hops can do. Slight malt backbone to round out an insanely drinkable beer.

M - Perfect carbonation and slightly lingering bitterness that makes you want, nay, need to drink more.

O - This is probably the best beer I have ever had. It deserves this incredible ranking. If I were stuck on a desert Island and had one beer to drink forever, this would be it. Period.

This is my first post here. I have gone from enthusiast to full out addict to craft beers, especially ipas. Zombie dust is by far my favorite. I've had the opportunity to have this on two occasions and it is incredible. Citrus taste well into the beer and is just overall smooth. Exactly what you expect with the hype.

12 Oz bottle poured into my 3F pint glass

Bought a case of these guys at the brewpub while on a road trip for 35$ without having ever had one, best investment I have ever made. That's 8.75$ a sixer!

A- Pours pale orange/golden and is slightly hazy only if you twirl the bottle mid pour. The head is rather large and sticks around all the way. It is a slightly off white color and is made of a really dense foam. Good lacing down the glass.

S- This Brew absolutely wreaks, in the best possible way. Super hoppy. The hop character is surprisingly complex for a single hop beer. A lot of pine up front followed up by gobs of citrus flavors; pineapple, mango, apricots and oranges. A touch of light malt and grain. Very sugary sweet as well, reminds me of fruit loops or captain crunch.

T- Taste is slightly bitter up front is super hoppy. The hop flavors are very citrus forward. A lot of pineapple, mango and orange. A slight bit of pine and lemon zest is also detectable. The malts really take a back seat to the hop ridiculousness but compliment the hops quite well. The malts are very sugary, a touch of breadiness and caramel but these malts really remind me of sugary cereal for some reason and it works really well here.

M- Moderate IPA level bitterness. The beer is well carbonated and rather light. Super drinkable and the taste keeps you coming back, hard to drink only one. A dry hoppy aftertaste that leaves me wanting more.

O- I find it hard to believe anything is perfect but I simply cant bring myself to give this beer anything less then a perfect score. This is my first perfect 5 rating after almost 200 reviews and I don't see myself giving another, at least for a long time. Everything about this beer is incredible, the price, the taste, the feel, the label art, the availability... well not for most of us but at least its guaranteed fresh. For a hop forward pale ale, this beer may just be perfect.

A: Pours a nice golden yellow with a two finger head that fills the
glass. Lacing hangs around for the duration of drinking and coats the sides.
S: Piney resin, grapefruit and other fruits.
T: Can you get a better blended beer? Pine, grapefruit, citrus that blends deliciously with the malts
M: Nice carbonation that goes down smooth. Feels like a perfect beer.
O: I could drink this beer all day, every day. Deliciously well rounded and a pleasure to drink. It is worth all the hype and more.

They suck getting this out to us...but it is top shelf .... But there are a ton of great beers ... Sorry 3 Floyds, but unless you start taking care of your fans...I'm out

Served in a bottle and poured into a tulip glass
Finger thick head that stayed with decent carbonation
Grapefruit citrus aroma, very pleasing to smell
Crisp citrus piny hops, with a smooth drinkable bitter taste
Great lacing, from a Midwestern IPAD, Zombie dust is at the top of the heap

This beer is an amazing contribution to the craft of brewing. A perfect balance of citrus and malt. This is a beer that spoils you, and is tricky to find.

No other APA like it out there . Ordered on draft at Sonka's pub in Terre Haute, IN. I heard from a few different sources though, that this beer has been completely sold out in TH and the brewery ran out of ZB ingredients for the year. I guess I'll have to wait til next year :( FFF does it again with a top quality beer. Cheers!

From a trade. 12 oz bottles bottled 12 days ago. Poured into snifter.

Look: Nice amber color with a good white head.

Smell: Luscious pine and citrus with floral notes. Hints of pineapple on the back end. slight malty notes.

Taste: Piney, slight to moderate maltyness and well balanced

Feel: Butter smooth, touch of body, clean finish

Overall: I really like this pale ale. In my top 2. 1 being Trillum. Was lucky to get this one so fresh. If you get a chance defiantly try it. The fresher the better.

Sampled on tap at the brewery.

A - Golden and clear with a big white head. Great lacing.

S - A huge, huge aroma of grapefruit, orange, mango and pineapple.

T - Pure hop flavor with all of the aspects above. The bitterness is moderate and the malt is sufficient but well overshadowed.

M - Creamy and silky with a low to moderate carbonation.

O - This is a flawless beer. Absolutely fantastic.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.