Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,429
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,374 | Hads: 8,956

From the first time you smell the hops in the glass, you know this is a special beer. Yes there is an explosion of hops, although controlled, when you taste it, but the clean mouth feel leaves you wanting more. It is evident why all the reviews are what they are for Zombie Dust across the country at BA and other beer rating sites. This is an outstanding beer that you are bound to enjoy! As long as you like hops... If you don't the it is a wonder why you even drink beer.

Bottled 10/24/14 and enjoyed on 11/4/14. I get a lot of fresh, piney, tropical, citrus and floral notes on the aroma. Dank, fresh hops. Explosion of flavor in every sip to gulp. Beautiful lacing. Not too bitter at 60 IBUs.. juicy!

A: Hazy golden yellow. Not completely clear.

S: The best! Incredible citra hop smell. Can taste it when sniffed.

T: Superb. Punch in the face with hoppiness. Just incredible.

M: Thick on the tongue but not too much carbonation.

O: Nothing like it IPA. I love PTE but so different. Thank God I only live 27 minutes from Three Floyd's!!!

I can't even do the whole M-T-A-O rundown.

I will keep this simple: This is the best beer in America...of any style, period. I've had the Plinys, the RR sours (which are my favorite!), Heady Topper, Lawson's, Hill Farmstead, the rest of the FFF lineup...

Nothing comes close to Zombie Dust. Nothing. I lucked out and got a case last year as I was heading East, but this time I was stuck only having it on tap.

It's a nearly-flawless beer, and nothing comes close. 5/5, every single time.

My new favorite beer. This beer is everything that I could ask for in a brew. Definitely touches a number of different notes that really appeal to my taste buds.

A- incredible golden orange color with enough clarity to know they weren't being lax on the brew process. Head pours small bubbles, which sticks around for the entire time drinking it.

S- Aromatic hops running in the glass from start to finish while drinking it. Usually the aromatics stick around for a minute after the pour, but I found myself going back to the glass to smell it the entire time I was drinking this brew.

T- Amazing! So well balanced with the perfect amount of bittering and aromatic hops. Would say that this brew touches on IPA territory, but reels back in to Pale Ale land.
This has got to be one of the best balanced pale ales I have ever had, but it also pushes the limits of the style.

M- nice coating on the tongue and works its way around the mouth like a great beer should. Great carbonation and nothing too heavy throughout the tasting.

O- Gonna have to go back and re-rank those that I put close to this one. I am putting it up there as one of my favorites of all time. I could drink it all day, yet it has a powerful punch that lets me know I am drinking real beer.

Heaven in a bottle.... My absolute favorite. Lucky to live in a city where it's not impossible to find with a little digging and a connection or two. If you've never had the chance to enjoy Zombie, do what you've got to do to get your hands on some. You won't be disappointed.

Oh, I seriously love Zombie Dust. It became my new favorite addiction in the short window of time where I was able to enjoy it.

I had it on tap, cask and in the bottle.

I was able to do a side-by-side tap vs. cask comparison. Below are my findings of this highly scientific research:

Zombie dust on bottle

While I couldn’t get a growler of Zombie Dust to go I did score a sixer of this wonderful elixir.
It pours with a golden amber color and great foam. There’s a big bouquet on it of tropical fruit, pineapple and a lemony citrusy hop. The flavor is hoppy without being overpoweringly bitter with a crisp orange-lemony and pineapple floral notes coming across. Lightly bodied, this is all about the flavorful and aromatic hops. Loved it.

Zombie Dust on tap and in cask: a side-by-side comparison.

Tap: This has tight foam atop a clear golden tan color brew. The aroma is intensely hoppy and crisp with an amazing tropical citrusy hop aroma and a light note of toasted straw on the finish. There’s an upfront bitterness with some resin on it. Floral and citrusy with a hint of caramel sweetness and a dry finish.

Cask: It pours an amber-golden color with gloppy, sloppy bubbly foam. The aroma and flavor are both smooth, mellow, even. Warms well with citrusy notes prevalent with a great rounded smoothness. There’s an orange citrusy aroma, more mellow than tap but equally enjoyable. The flavor is likewise rounded and softened, with a smooth resiny/orange/orange peel and marmalade character to it.

Whether on tap or from the cask it is dangerously good and lives up to everything I’ve heard.

Served from a fresh bottle straight from the brewery.

A: The beer pours a hazed golden orange color with a huge off-white/khaki head and nice sticky lacing.

S: Great hop nose to this beer. Big pine and citrus peel. Tons of grapefruit with a little bit of bready malts and a hint of toast and caramel. Mildly grassy on the back end.

T: Mildly sweet malts of bread and toffee. Big citrus peel, pine, and grass hop flavor.

A moderate level of bitterness to it and a hint of fruitiness. Nice solid flavors to the beer.

M: Medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Really easy to drink and a great flavor and aroma.

Fresh bottle from a local liquor store (the brewpub was out for the day) poured on 10/9/13 into a pint glass.

A - Strong golden, copper hue with a bright, white foam. Very clear as well.

S - Fresh hoppy scent with hints of citrus and spice. Incredibly enticing.

T - Incredibly hoppy with that aforementioned citrus and spice taste. Leaves a mild, bitter aftertaste that keeps you reaching for your next sip.

M - Medium body with a creamy flow. Good carbonation. Pretty much as good as it gets.

O - Incredible beer.

My Updated review gives Zombie Dust a 5.5.
It ain't going down in score I promise that! Cheers!

Can I give a10 out of 5 for the smell of Zombie Dust!
This I'd the most addictive smelling brew I've ever had the pleasure of drinking! ( over and over).

Color is just as it should be, nice head, smooth lines while drinking.

You can smell this beer from 5 feet away, and the smell is Citrus heaven.

Very flavorful, sharp grapefruit, oranges and hops. But not the smack down of sweetness you'd expect.
Finish is smooth as silk and begs you to buy some to take home!
Best overall tasting APA I've ever had!

Thank god for Indiana craft beers!!!

Unbelievable! Drank the first time and second time in a year later and still excel! This is one of the best beer I have ever drank, period. I rarely rated 5 stars, but this one deserves it and won't disappoint you. Amazing to see the low IBU from Zombie Dust and still delivered executing. Would linger on your buds and palate that long. Impressed.

I was at the brewery on 10/3. Got a case that was brewed on 10/2. I have never had it that fresh. it was phenomenal. I had probably had 6 or 7 times prior, but this was by far the best I had

Obtained in a beer trade with a can date a week prior. Honestly, to say it is one of the finest pale ales in the country would be doing it a disservice. While being classified as a pale ale, I would think this is more of a super tasty IPA. You get lots of tropical fruit aromas from the Citra hops utilized in the brewing process. Taste is somewhat subtle but has an effective bite after your first sip. Overall, awesome beer and worth seeking out, cheers!

This shows me that the Alstrom Bros are not dialed in. A 90? C'mon man....this is arguably the greatest beer ever made. That is like saying the Godfather is just OK, or that the Brady Bunch Movie has more laughs than Caddyshack. They rated Smuttynose Finest Kind a 100 and this a 90. That is pure comedy! They think Dogfish 60 and Stone are better than this? OMG....absolute comedy. This is a great great beer. Trust me on this. I absolutely love this beer, and I am not alone because this is harder to come by than Pappy Van Winkle 20.

The beautiful pour, the heavenly aroma, and the explosion of flavor of the first sip. The hop profile is complex, deep and compelling. Pine & Citrus, with floral jungle flower undertones....rich color...great initial blast of resiny flavor with a beautiful finish. This is as close to heaven as a brew could get. Absolute perfection and I just wish everyone could try it.

Bottle given to me by backfat. Poured into my Unibroue Maudite Snifter.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, yellow-orange color. Fat inch of off-white foam that reluctantly recedes to a thin layer of teeny bubbles. Incredible lacing sticking to my glass, as if parts of this beer are too good to be consumed. Brilliant.

Smell: Citrus fruitiness wofting out of the bottle pre-pour, and just intensifies once it is in the glass. Inviting aromas of Grapefruit rind and Pineapple erupting from my snifter. Hint of malt hiding in there as well, but this beauty is leaning heavily towards the hoppy side.

Taste: Starts out like I'm chewing on a healthy chunk of fresh grapefruit. A quick flash of sweet maltiness dances across my tongue, and then my tasters are consumed by more resiny hops. The taste of citrus rinds has the final dance here, lingering on my tongue and the back of my mouth for a good long time.

Mouthfeel: Light and airy, with a velvetine smoothness that is breathtaking. Phenominal.

Overall: I must start by saying that I am not a big fan of the "HypeTrain." Time and time again, I am let down because I let Hype tell me that "x" beer will be insanely amazing. This beer lives up to the hype. Easily. I think Three Floyds raised the bar on this style for sure. Definitely gotta grab some of this if you are given the chance. This beer is absolutely fantastic.

A- Bright orange with slight haze. Decent lace with lots of head.

S- Citrus, pineapple and grapefruit rind. Slight mandarin orange.

T- The Citra hops here provide a clear citrusy grapefruit profile. Flavor is fantastic, and the hop bitterness is balanced perfectly to finish with the malt. Pineapple, orange rind and slight, slight pine.

M- Feels fairly dry, with a little carbonation keeping the beer bright. No residual bitterness or hop resin on aftertaste.

O- Best single-hop beer I've ever had. Just a fantastic, well-rounded beer from 3F.

3floyds was so packed at GABF 2015. The line was 20+ deep to get this beer but I waited anyway and OMG worth every minute.

A: has a beautiful golden color with a full foamy head that disapates with time.

S: When i smelled my sample i was hit with a fragrane of citris. Pine needles and orange peels.

T: This beer is made with a single hop (citra hop). When it hits the lips so good.

M: Very fresh and light.

D: Refreshing pale ale could drink for hours on end. Light and smooth.

This beer will change your life, a perfect example of the eccentric awesomeness of 3F brewery. An APA for the IPA lover.

Pours a hazy burnt orange with a two finger creamy white head

Smells of grapefruit and tangerines

Though not overly carbonated it is very effervescent as it spreads it hoppy joy across the pallet.

It almost hints at it being a dry hopped wheat ale but lacking that bready aftertaste, finishes clean but the hops hang on to your tongue for dear life.

Lacing is great as you can recall each sip by its mark on the glass.

A very creamy yet light mouthfeel.

I know this beer is hard to find outside of NW Indiana but if there were any reason to cross state lines for a beer this is it.

Tried this for the first time at Craft Beer Fest in Bloomington, IN last weekend. Got the last serving they had. Was a wonderful beer. The color and aroma drew me to this beer. Am now a fan of 3 Floyd's Brewery. Heard this is a hard beer to find and have found that to be very true.

Found it on-tap a few times around Chicago.

A: Looks like the way the perfect hoppy ale should. Orange with a finger of foam.

S: Fresh with beautiful aroma of citrus and floral hops.

T: It's taste like the worlds greatest IPA, the low alch makes it pale ale, but the theres is defiantly an IPA vibe here. beautiful balance, honestly perfect.

O: The hype is right on. Its unbelievable beer that should be obtained at any chance you have. Honestly the perfect Pale Ale.

Some beers deserve the reputation they get. This is one of them. I was lucky to get a fresh bottle and it did not disappoint.

Appearance- Perfect golden/amber color. Slight head, nice lacing. And I have to add the label is pretty cool.

Smell- Amazing. The small was outstanding. Citrus on a canvas of floral hops.

Taste- Crisp citrus start, well balanced with intense hop, and a nice finish that doesn't leave a bitter after taste. The closest think I can compare it to in my area is GL Chillwave, which is a double IPA, but has the citrus punch (I find chillwave to have maybe a bit to much lemon/lime flavor).

Mouthfeel- medium to light body.

Tried not to be biased in my review, but this beer is just that damn good. It fulfilled my expectations and then some. Here goes:

A: As I've said in other review, FFF has got the appearances of its beers down to a T. Beautiful, clear orange with a ton of carbonation bursting forth from the bottom of the glass. This beer also has a massive, three-fingered head that leaves a ton of lacing.

S: Beautiful - but not overbearing - collection of tropical fruit owing to the citra hops. Mango, pineapple, grass, lemon and grapefruit - they're all here. Also lots of caramel malt.

T: To die for. Caramel malt gives way to the hops - perfectly balanced, like an APA should be. Hop tastes follow the nose - just splendid.

M: Plenty of carbonation, medium-bodied as well. Outstanding.

O: Deserves its place at the top of the APA list.

Pours a clear copper with a quickly dissipating white foam head.

Smells like tangerines, oranges, grapefruits, apricots, medium astringency. No alcohol detectable.

Tastes like it smells, juicy, citrusy, floral notes, clean finish. Medium bitterness, almost an IPA.

Overall this is the finest APA on the planet. No gripes here.

I have heard a ton of hype for this one, but is it justified?

Pours out a beautiful golden orange with a 2 finger, white head.

The aroma is intense! There is a ton of an orange, orange peel type of note right away followed by grapefruit, some pine and sweeter tropical fruits.

The taste is exactly like the aroma. There is a huge amount of sweeter orange, a decent amount of grapefruit, sweeter tropical fruits like mango and apricot, some pine and just a hint of some bready malt at the end.

The body is medium and the mouthfeel is crisp. It's a very easy drinking beer with a decent amount of bitterness for an APA. This drinks more like an IPA than a Pale Ale!

I can actually see what all the hype is about and I'm glad I got to try it. No, it's not a perfect beer, but it's the best Pale Ale I have ever tried! Believe the hype. Another winner from Three Floyds.

The more I drink this, the more I love it.
Looks beautiful in the glass, light amber, tangerine almost. great head.
The smell is the first thing that makes me smile with this beer. When fresh, the citra hits you in the nose like a stink bomb filled with citra hops
The taste is parallel to the smell.
Mouth feel isn't quite refreshing, but a little tingly, and the hops remain for a while.
Overall. Fantastic. A top 5 beer for me. With a lower ABV than some of my favorite DIPAs with the same hop presence, this gets me smiling.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.