Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,426
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,373 | Hads: 8,954
4.58/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy orange with one to two finger fizzy white head. Strong hops aroma right out of the bottle. Packed with notes of citrus fruit, pine and floral undertones. Flavor is citrusy and slightly sweet balanced by bitter finish. Light to medium body with great carbonation. Absolutely my favorite IPA "Pale Ale." Combines all the best things about east and west coast IPA's.

4.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Golden yellow with a finger of head that sticks around.

S- Big citrus, lemon, orange peel.

T- Not as big as the smell but still pretty damn good. Bitterness up front, but not a smack in the face bitterness. Citrus, pineapple, oranges.

This is what I compare all ipa's too even though it is classified as a apa. Great beer, a must have for everyone.

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

What can I say that hasn't already been said about this beer? How did 3F fit something so amazing into a totally session able pale ale?

I first had this on cask at the brewery a few months ago. Was I blown away! The smell and thick frothy head were the first two things I noticed. Must be some Carafoam in there.

I could drink a 6 pack of these every night and die a happy man. Not to mention the price point. $35 a case or roughly $8.75 a sixer. I would gladly pay double that.

4.03/5  rDev -11.2%

Great beer. I drank it before I knew it was in the top 10 beer list on BA. That being said, I was a little surprised it was as high as it was. I actually would prefer a Sculpin over ZD. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't go out of my way to get more bottles of this beer. Hopefully I will run into it again sometime though.

4.62/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Fresh bottles straight from the FFF brewpub.

Appearance - Pours a slightly hazy golden amber. First thing I thought of was the amber from Jurassic Park that trapped the mosquito with dinosaur DNA. 3 fingers of head vanish and leave some beautiful lacing. Very inviting.

Smell - Citrus hoppy goodness blasts your sinuses. Love this smell.

Taste - Grapefruit, pineapple, orange peel, slight bits of tangerine. Bready backbone. Bold, hoppy aftertaste. Best tasting beer burps ever.

Mouthfeel - Medium. Nice carbonation. Finishes clean and wet.

Overall - A great, flavorful beer that must be consumed in moderation. I wish I could call it a session beer but it simply isn't. 2-3 of them and I'm flying high... And my tolerance is NOT low! Just a phenomenal pale ale. I challenge anyone to find me a better one.

4.64/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to smchenry77 for this one!

What can I say that hasn't been said already. Best Pale Ale out there. So juicy and citrusy. Good hop profile but zero hop lingering bitterness. Nice carbonation that gives it a crisp feeling. Such a clean finish.

I'll be trading for this again...fo sho!

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

Smell- maybe the best smelling beer I've ever had, definitely the best among pale ales. Smells very citrusy in the best way possible.

Taste- This is a pale ale, not an IPA, so don't expect a hop knockout. The hops hit you fast but fade off as the taste dissipates. I waited for the hop reinforcements like most other pale ales, but this one took the category seriously and didn't overdo it. I think that was the best thing about the beer. Definitely citrus tastes are more present than the hops. The carbonation was a little heavier, also just right.

Overall- my favorite pale ale I've had. It would be hard to beat.

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

Finally made a pilgrimage to Three Floyds brewpub, did not disappoint at all, especially with Zombie Dust on cask! Though I must say, it was served a little chillier than I expect my cask...

A- Hazy cloudy golden color with a tiny frothy head around the brim. I assume the haze is due to the cask conditioning because none of my bottles were quite as hazy

S- absolutely freaking amazing! cornucopia of wonderful citrus fruit, lots of mango, tangerine, slight grapefruit on the back end. everything you want and more

T- just more of the same, an explosion of bright citrus flavors. citra is the showcase here and I'm overbidding.

m- the cask makes this out to be like a mango creamsicle...heaven

D- Sorry Edward, this just squeaks by you

4.99/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Bright, orange yellow with moderate head, and some nice lacing. Served in a tulip glass.

S: Hops! Citrus, floral, herbal, and slight pine.

T: Dancing on the tongue, vivid, sharp, bright citrus, and floral/herbal notes, with a great feel in the nose when exhaling...

M: smooth, clean, well carbonated.

O: not available in GA, glad I found a friend that allowed me to share this with them! One of the best beers I have had lately.

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first time trying this finally, got a few bottles in a trade. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a clear amber color with a half fingers worth of off-white head that sticks around for awhile.

S- Awesome smelling beer. Instant citrus and pine hop notes upon popping the cap.

T- Very hopped up for an APA. Pine notes carry over in the taste more so than the citrus to me.

M- Medium to high carbonation, bitter with a dry finish, refreshing and extremely drinkable.

Zombie Dust is a great beer, pushes the limit on an American Pale Ale.

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Shared recently at a local fest. Love the bottle label.

Poured a somewhat cloudy amber/orange color. Decent off-white head.

Orange is the first whiffs with more melon aromas coming through. Grapefruit also shines through.

After the citrus blast on the taste, light bread and a touch of caramel shine through. Decent bitter aftertaste.

Overall I liked this a lot for a Pale Ale. This is full flavored Pale which is tough to find. It is smooth and delivers a thirst-quenching taste. A great beer for the masses on the Eastern side of the US.

And thanks to the dude who shared this and the Hopslam that night. You know who you are.

4.71/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Party Source in Kentucky and poured into a snifter.

Orange-yellow in color with decent lacing and as I drank more lacing was evident.

Needless to say there was a ton of citrus and juicy-fruit in the nose.

Sharp. Huge hop presence but that's what this is all about. Beautiful malt character to accentuate the hops. This is bitter without scaring anyone away. Drinks a bit bigger than 6.4%.

Lingering resin and pine on the tongue. Finishes very dry.

Absolutely beautiful.

4.49/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a deep orange near ruby color. A decent finger width white head with decent lacing.
S: loads of citrus fruits and pine notes. A fantastic balance between floral fragrances and pineapple, sugar and lemon.
T: starts with a malty bang but is quickly subdued by the bittering hops and crisp citrus flavors. Both aspects are intense and complex but are in perfect symmetry. Impressed.
M: medium bodied with a similar carbonation level. Slightly creamy. Coats the tongue completely without battering it with hops. It's wonderfully smooth and finishes clean.
O: worth the wait, worth the price. For a guy who isn't enamored with overly hoppy pale ales, this was done extremely well. It is intricately balanced, complex and flavorful. If you get the chance, pick this up.

4.58/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

At long last! Finally, I've had the legendary Zombie Dust.

Appearance: Pours a typical APA color -- light orange. There's a slight haze, and a nice, creamy-like head on it. Lacing's patchy and not all that great, but it looks nice as a whole.

Smell: Think Hopslam. It smells a lot like that. Zombie Dust is tied with Hopslam as the best beer that I have ever smelled ... absolutely outstanding. A huge burst of guava/peach/citrus along with some sweet hoppiness. Glorious.

Taste/feel: Slightly letdown, though it's still an insanely tasty beer. The aroma is stronger than the taste, but that's not necessarily a terrible thing. Like many have said, this drinks more like an IPA than an APA... super tropical fruit flavors along with non-descript fruit and spice on this one. The aftertaste is slightly bitter, and the alcohol comes through a bit at times as well to dry the mouth, but me gusta. A proper amount of malt and spice on the finish to balance it all out pretty nicely. A great, GREAT beer, but a tinge overrated in my opinion, and I wouldn't consider this a very sessionable beer (besides the 6.40%) due to the dryness.

For the price, an unbelievable beer, and one of the best... $1.50 a bottle, fresh from the brewery? Doesn't get better than that. Overall though, just an extremely good beer. Best beer ever? No, but close to it. Honestly, I feel like this would score slightly lower on a blind taste test. I think a good reason this beer is so acclaimed is because of its label, and especially, its name... America's become obsessed with zombies the past few years.

4.59/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to Andrew for sending this one my way.

12oz bottle.

A - Pours a hazy golden orange with a one finger fluffy off white head. There is a good amount of head retention, but lacing is minimal...

S - Lots of citrus fruits come through. Grapefruit, mango, orange, and a hint of pine. Scent is very inviting...

T - All the same culprits that came through on the nose. Mango, grapefruit, and orange. While the citrus hid the malt on the nose, it is evident here. Just enough to keep this from being a hop bomb. Finishes extremely smooth with light hop bitterenss. Again, the malt keeps the finish from being overly bitter. This one is delicious with a ton of citrusy hops and just enough malt to keep this balanced. Fantastic...

M - Very smooth. Medium body feel with a good amount of carbonation for the style...

O - Been wanting to try this one for a while, and glad I finally I got a chance. Definitely lived up to the hype for me. Would drink this all the time if this was available in my location. FFF knocked one out of the park here...

4.49/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer plenty of times..and there are more than enough reviews here to solidify how good it is, but have one last bottle here..and seeing Mr. Barnaby Struve at Haymarket brewery today prompted me to review this one proper.
Pours a nice dark hazy straw/golden tone. Beautiful head and lacing.
Aroma is a beautiful mix of Citra..and all things Citra. Grapefruit, lemon, caramel, bread, touch of white grape.
Flavor is also really well balanced. Grapefruit, white grape, caramel orange, lemon, honey, intermingle with a nice biscuit background for balance.
Too many reviews here for me to elaborate on this brew too long, but overall.. beautifully constructed and now a new stalwart for me.

1.82/5  rDev -59.9%

Appearance was fine. Nothing to write home about; no complaints.

The major problem was the nose. I've had this beer on draft form two different bars in Chicago and both times I could not finish even one pint. This beer has an overwhelmingly body-odor-like aroma. The smell was dense and lingering. All I could think about were the summers I've spent in crowded eastern european subways.

Generally I love FFF, but I will definitely not be drinking ZD again anytime soon.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

Now this is crazy... this is crazy! It's like that one chick in college who was easy to pull; she was pretty, she was freaky, but goddamn was she crazy! I mean, enigmatic and unpredictable. Like, she might poke a hole in the jimmy hat "crazy!"

Sippin' on this, Raul like it, but he doesn't know what to think! Smooth, sexy, sleek, devilishly tasteful...but at the same time, hog shit wild!

Raul like it, but he scared!

Yeah buddy!

My Updated review gives Zombie Dust a 5.5.
It ain't going down in score I promise that! Cheers!

Can I give a10 out of 5 for the smell of Zombie Dust!
This I'd the most addictive smelling brew I've ever had the pleasure of drinking! ( over and over).

Color is just as it should be, nice head, smooth lines while drinking.

You can smell this beer from 5 feet away, and the smell is Citrus heaven.

Very flavorful, sharp grapefruit, oranges and hops. But not the smack down of sweetness you'd expect.
Finish is smooth as silk and begs you to buy some to take home!
Best overall tasting APA I've ever had!

Thank god for Indiana craft beers!!!

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

12oz bottle, had back-to-back with Alpha King for my comparison purposes.
The ale pours copper-amber with a thin, frothy off-white head, decent retention & excellent lacing, nice clarity. Aromas are a fruity, tropical nose with mango, pineapple, grapefruit, biscuity malt. Tastes are pineapple, mango, semi-pungent grapefruit rind, mild pine, biscuity malt, a touch of caramel, juicy, coats the palate, semi-dry fairly astringent on the finish. Pine-resiny, medium mouth-feel, nice juiciness. Overall, this is a superb American Pale Ale, but in my books Alpha King wins, but just by a little bit. I like the bready malt with more caramel. This seems to showcase the Citra hop more, while having a little less of a malt presence.

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a clear light straw gold. Just a bit of foam and some sticky lacing.
Very sweet smell. Lots of fruity sweet hops, sugar, mild pine and cotton candy.

Taste is very much like the smell. Very sweet and fruity with hints of hay, pine and citrus. Balanced well toward sweet malts and hops, this one goes well with cheddar cheese. Feels light yet dense, nicely carbonated.

Wish I had better access to this brew.

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

the appearance is a glowing yellow. it smells very hoppy. a smell that you will come back for. the taste is a strong hoppy flavor. its just strong enough. its followed by a kind of sweet settling on the tongue. this is the best beer. you just have to try it

4.84/5  rDev +6.6%

Mmmmm...Zombie Dust, one of the legendary American Pale Ales, is miraculously served on tap quite regularly here at the University of Chicago's on campus bar, The Pub. I enjoyed a couple pints of this impossibly juicy hop nectar last Wednesday. Review is from notes. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance (4/5): Minimal, 1/4 inch head due to a poor pour by a fairly incompetent bartender...but I digress. I'm sure the head would be luxuriant, bubbly, and white if there was one. Zombie Dust is copper-hued/light orange, clear, and visibly effervescent. Looks like just another pale ale. Nothing incredible about the appearance, but this isn't exactly a huge problem.

Smell (4.75/5): The nose is enough to make any hop head cry tears of joy. It is extraordinarily fruity, juicy, and demonstrates all those grapefruit, passion fruit, and mango notes that distinguish intensely hopped ales. In the mix are your standard piney, resiny aromas, but the fruit notes steal the spotlight. Deep, dank, bold, pungent. Simply excellent.

Taste (5/5): Super fruity, highly citrusy–grapefruit flavors tower above any other tasting notes. Zombie Dust=ruby red grapefruit delivery system. Zombie Dust is also quite dank. I must remark, the malt nicely compliments the hops and lends the beer good body. Additionally, I enjoy how the beer isn't intensely bitter; rather it is intensely (and enjoyably) fruity. This is a well-constructed APA that isn't totally out of balance. Probably the best tasting Pale Ale NOT named Hill Farmstead Edward I've drank.

Mouthfeel (4.5/5): Nice tongue coating citric aftertaste and a long juicy grapefruit finish. Medium carbonation, medium body. Considerably more body and hoppiness than your average pale ale.

Overall (4.75/5): Zombie Dust is one of those highly-hoppy American Pale Ales that's almost an IPA. Some people might get caught up in stylistic hair-splitting...that's not for me. This is a phenomenal tasting ale that beautifully showcases the power of Citra hops. It's juicy, dank, fruity, mildly bitter, and will flood your mouth with wave after wave of hop flavor. There's a reason why this a legendary ale. Reputation earned and confirmed. Boom.

4.81/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to my mother in law for scoring this for me! First time I've had ZD at home.

Poured 12oz bottle into tulip glass with a 2in white head that settled fairly quickly and left some decent lacing on the glass. Color is a beautiful golden orange, slightly opaque.

Aroma is super dank --resinous pine dominates with some citrus undertones

Taste - huge grapefruit up front, some orange and lemon, a bit of malty sweetness, then comes a hoppy bitter (enjoyable) finish.

Mouthfeel - medium carb and body, slightly sticky but remains crisp and refreshing

Overall - Has to be the best APA out there, but I feel like I enjoyed it more on tap. I can only assume this is fresh because there is no bottling date.

4.55/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Awesome extra from a trade with user takach79. Thanks! Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

Zombie dust pours a orange gold, fairly hazy, with a decent sized head that persists and laces. The aroma is delicious citrus hops, lemony, grassy. Not much on the malt side. Extremely complex given it's a single hop ale.

The taste follows the nose. Big citrus and grassy. Slightly sweet with a nice bitterness. A little bit of a sweet pale malt presence. The mouthfeel is medium, carbonation's on the low side. Really easy drinking. I'd consider this a true APA, as opposed to the disguised IPA that seems more common with the style these days.

I'm having trouble describing this beer, since it's so clean, simple and wonderful. More than the sum of its parts. You midwesterners who can get this regularly are very lucky indeed.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.