Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,278
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,312 | Hads: 8,591
4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

Oh my gosh. One of the most flavorful beers with ease of drinking. This is one of the best beers I have ever had. But then everything I have had from Three Floyds has been awesome. Worth the hype. Beautiful color. Incredible smell, hops and malt and hops and malt. Just an incredible nose. It tastes like liquid gold and the gold coats your tongue with so many complex flavors. This is a top american beer. Three Floyds is incredible and Zombie Dust... fantatstic. (464 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -10.6%

No date on it that I can find. An extra from a trade, so no idea. Duvel Tulip.

A - A nicely carbonated beer. About two fingers of large bubble just off-white head that sticks around a while. Body is cloudy and a wonderful orange/wheat color. As the head falls, a strong beautiful lace remains. Stunning beer.

S - Citra hops. Sweet pine. Simple and delicious.

T - Again the citra comes through immediately. A little bitter. Strong pine and slight grapefruit rind. Some orange.

M - Great carbonation and strong body for an IPA. Good.

O - A great citra hops beer. Simple all over, but nicely made. I would like to do a tasting of all these top IPAs sometime to see how they stack up against each other. There are so many similarities, it is hard when they are not tasted together. (783 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks to wildcats10 for including this in a trade. Poured into a Crate and Barrel Snifter. The bottle date/numbers are smudged, so I cant tell how fresh this is.

A – Pours a hazy dark orange hue with a half finger, off-white head that dissipates very quickly as it settled to the edge of the glass and left no lacing.

S - I was expecting this to be an in-your face hop bomb and it was not that at all. They hype of this beer made me anticipate the strength of hop aromas I get from Abrasive, and Heady Topper, however this was way more muted. Comparing this to other Citra beers such as Citra from Kern, this too was a bit underwhelming. Very grassy, with slight hints of pine and not much else.

T – The taste, is thankfully much better than the aroma. A very well bended and smooth arrangement of hops and malts. I’m mostly picking up grapefruit and pine which leaves a nice citrus finish.

M - Medium body with lower than liked carbonation for the style. Dry. Worthy of a return from the dead.

O – This really is a nice beer, but perhaps it wasn’t as fresh as it could have been. I will seek this out again to make sure I give it a fair shot, but to me, Citra is a way better example of this hop. (1,215 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Appearance is a very hazy dark orangeish hue. Slight whiteish head that lingers only for a little bit. The color is darker in color than most IPA's, which I greatly appreciate since this beer seems to be a confused APA/IPA brew.

S- Wow. Just wow. Smell is very floral and citrusy and is just amazing. This smell is up there with PtE, if not better than PtE with all the beautiful hop aromas.

T- Taste is again staggeringly good for an APA. Very citrusy, floral, hoppy, but still has a reasonably present malt backbone to help it remain an APA. Very well rounded taste, as it is extremely hoppy, but still holds onto its roots.

M- Mouthfeel is perfect, very smooth and bitter, starts very full and potent and finishes with a drying effect that is amazing.

O- This beer is nearly perfection for the category, only reason I say nearly perfection is because I don't believe anything is perfect, but this is damn close. One of my top 5 beers of all time. (957 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

bottle into a tulip.

A- hazy orange, copper, 1 finger head good lacing and retention.

S- Sweet orange, pungent tropical fruits, alcohol as it warms.

T- clean bitterness, sharp tropical fruits, hint of musky sweetness, toast, alcohol as it warms.

M- Crisp, clean, drying

O- Awesome beer, I could drink these all day. It gets more harsh as it warms, I prefer it ice cold. (375 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +2.9%

Fresh from Three Floyd's brewery.
Poured into tulip glass

Appearance: A murky dirty orange color that reminds me of apple juice in color. It produced a frothy good two fingers amount of head that settled quickly to a small ring around the edges of the glass. There is a high amount of lacing.

Smell: Well lets just say this is very aromatic because I smelled it before I even poured it and then when it got in the glass the aromas seemed to just billow from my glass. Grapefruit, orange, pineapple, lemon...a very citrusy smelling beer! Simply awesome! There is obvious hop presence in the form of pine and grass but I wouldn't call it resiney. It is more of a tropical fruit mixed with the hops. One of the best smelling beers ever.

Taste: Up first is some of the grapefruit and orange fruit taste at the front of the tongue. In the middle I am tasting some of the maltiness and sweetness like caramel and that leads directly to the hops at the tail end. A wonderful bitter but not too bitter aftertaste that stays around for quite a while. Exceptional!

Mouthfeel: This is such an easy drinking beer that I could easily drink this on a regular basis and never get tired of it. It has the perfect carbonation and it's not too thick or thin but just enough to perfectly coat my mouth with all it's glory and leave it's awesome bitter bite mixed with the tropical fruits.

Overall: Even though I only live about 30 minutes from Three Floyd's I for some reason did not make the trip out there to get me some of this sweet nectar until about 2 weeks ago. It is absolute perfection especially on a hot summer day. Oh who the hell am I kidding it's perfect any time! (1,668 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -6.8%

A-pale orange/with nice frothy white head.

S-musty citrus/grapefruit. Musty is not my favorite. Citra hops. very hoppy.

T-grapefruit/pineapple/mango. very nice biscuity backbone to this one. well balanced. More of an amarillo/cascade taste.

M-medium body with a full carbonation. very nice.

HEADY TOPPER IS BETTER!! Sorry. (328 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color is a hazy, medium gold, and the head a off white creamy one finger high head. Sticks arround a little bit, and leaves good lacing.
The nose is a incredible arrangement of fruity hops. Citrus, lemon, pineapple,peach and orange.
The taste starts with the same flavors, just more intense. Than there are some malt flavors in the back, which somewhat check the hops. Some more dry hops finish the beer.
One of the best beers I have had. Great job! A must drink beer! (473 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

Light orange color and clear with a moderate head formation

Big pungent aroma. For some reason I expected a different aroma based on my experience with Citra. It wasn’t quite as melony as I expected, more bright, acidic, and maybe even a bit dank. Really hard to put in words.

Love it from the first sip. Big hop flavor, and it’s just a different flavor than I’m accustomed to in APAs. The finish has this really awesome quality to it; it’s almost a tingly sensation with a lingering bite and flavor that is, again, just hard to describe or one that I’ve experienced before. Carbonation is good, if not on the high side for style. Malts play second fiddle, but they’re doing their part by keeping this strong hop somewhat grounded.

Overall it wasn't really what I expected, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. However, I really didn’t find it to be as full on hoppy as their Alpha King. I think I actually prefer it over Zombie Dust. Granted, I only had 6 oz of the “Dust” so I really need to enjoy a few more before awarding it the silver medal. (1,061 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -8.1%

Bottle on the RBSG 2012 bus. Clear orange with a sudsy white head. Piney aroma, grapefruit, pineapple and nectarine. Flavor tends a little more toward herbal with sap and resin, snappy citrus fruit framed by subtle malt. Crisp, flavorful, dry. Good stuff. (255 characters)

Fresh 12oz bottle of Zombie Dust poured into a brand new Three Floyds Teku glass.

A: Golden peach/amber, small head despite a fairly firm pour. Leaves behind lacing, and quickly dissipates to a light coating. Moderate to light carbonation.

S: The absolute best smelling beer out there. Very crisp. Intense citrus (lemon/grapefruit/orange rind), pine, grass, a somewhat tropical mixture of flavors.

T: A bit stronger (in a good way) than expected after the light, aromatic nose. POW! Citra, and loads of it. The amount that you'd expect in a DIPA, but with the lower ABV, this mixture is crisp and potent, without a strong alcohol taste. Malt balance is perfect, IMHO. After the full flavor subsides, a pine and citrus aftertaste is present in full force. Lasts quite a while. Perfect dry finish without overwhelming bitterness.

M: Carbonation is perfect, medium to light bodied, while still providing a very nice coating on the palate.

O: My favorite beer. FFF knocked it out of the park with this one. Every sip starts with a hoppy, tropical teaser, is followed by the ever-so-satisfying mouthfeel, and leaves behind a craving for another sip by taunting you with left-behind hops. Every time I go a without this for a little while, I forget just how off the charts it is. Thank God I'm close enough to the brewery to get this on a regular basis, cause finding bottles anywhere else is always a joke.

Review #1! (1,421 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

My 100th review, and I planned it such that I had one of my favorite beers at the right time. On tap at the brewpub in Munster on 8/12/12, served in a nonic pint.

Pour: Mostly clear deep orange with two fingers fluffy white head. Head diminishes to a light coating. Leaves great lacing.

Smell: Wow - a burst of tangerine and grapefruit, followed by some pine and pineapple. A nice caramel maltiness rounds out the nose. Very inviting.

Taste: Even better than the nose... Grapefruit and tangerines provides a beautiful citrusy opening. Gives a nice pine and orange bitterness. Caramel maltiness provides a really exceptional balance.

Mouthfeel: Not too bitter. Goes down so easily, but leaves an awesome bitter citrus/pine taste the palate. I could drink this all day.

Overall: One of, if not my favorite beer. Always a joy to drink this. (842 characters)

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
No born on date but picked up from the brewpub within the last 2 or so weeks.

A big thanks to Hopsmatt for sending this one over in a trade

A: Pours a golden amber with just under 2 fingers width of slightly off white colored head, which takes a good amount of time to dissipate down.  Leaves a fair amount of streaky lacing.

S: Citrusy hops, fairly big pineapple along with lemon.  It also has a big resinous character as well, with juniper notes.  Smells nice but not the citrus presence others have been harping on.

T: Fairly dull flavors initially.  I mostly just get lemon and pine on the backend.  Some resiny notes as well. Improves as it warms.  Pretty tasty, but simple and nothing special.

M/D:  Appropriate carbonation, medium bodied, slightly drying finish, drinkability is good, this could definitely be a session beer.

O: I dont get the hype here.  Its a decent beer, but I am by no means blown away.  I definitely thought Alpha King was better, and to me it remains the standard of the style.  This one was good, but nothing special.  Maybe shipping in the warm weather hurt this one (but I think that may be giving it the benefit of the doubt as I get the majority of my reviewed beers from shipped trades and usually dont notice ill effects).  A fine beer that I would purchase again if it were a local, but not something Id seek out or trade for again.  Glad I got to try it though.   (1,467 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

I long for an IPA heavy on the citrus notes without being too powerful on the pine bitterness. Three Floyds delivers pretty well with this brew.

A: Pours a cloudy, light golden yellow with minimal (1/4) head. Light carbonation nucleation with medium lacing.

S: Light with Predominant grapefruit notes with linger pine resin in the background

T: Light bitterness with citrus, grapefruit, and limonene. A hint of pineapple. Bitterness lingers through the back of the pallet but the front of the pallet finished smooth.

M: Light bubbles on the tongue. Moderately thick. Slightly syrupy. Not oily

O: A number of damn fine Pale Ales out there. This one may be a bit past its prime given its age of three months (fresh from the brewery the day of bottling), but I am not sure this lives up to the hype. Fantastic presentation of the Citra hops but a beer like this could use a tad more head and carbonation in my option, but we all like something different. Take away some of the pine resin on the back end and this one would hit my personal sweet spot dead on! Overall, an excellent brew… one of my 20 IPAs for sure! (1,120 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +5.5%

A: It has a nice soft golden color and doesn't poor with much head.

S: Has a great aroma and body to it. A nice blend hops and a fruit/citrus scent that smells like orange peel. You can definitely breath in the taste, great smell!

T: In my opinion, this has a unique twist on it not like many APAs I've had before. There is so much flavor in ever sip that combines hops with a subtle hint of pine and those citrus notes. Your first taste will want to quickly be followed by the next.

M: Not too bitter and doesn't leave your mouth dry. Does leave a nice lingering taste of hops though which is something I enjoy.

O: Probably one of my top 5 favorite beers. It just such a nice taste and body and finishes so smooth. A great beer to sit back with and enjoy on any occasion. (777 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +2.2%

A: pour is slightly golden/peach color, almost no head formation, no lacing and mild carbonation. Give it a few swirls and a very thin white foamy head forms.

S: huge smell of tropical fruits such as pineapple, grapefruit, enormous orange peel, huge piney hops. This is one hell of an aroma, absolutely amazing… usually don’t give into hype all that much, but this one is simply awesome.

T: more of the same tropical fruits as in the nose (orange, grapefruit and subtle pineapple). Awesome bitter piney hops balance this one out. Not very complex, but this one is extremely well balanced and has a very high drinkability

M: light-medium bodied, nice crisp finish, leaves a nice hoppy aftertaste that is mild enough to want me to take another sip. Extremely enjoyable and very high drinkability

O: this one lives up to the hype…plain and simple. Excellent smell, extremely tasty, high drinkability. Love the tropical notes to this one. Definitely one of the best, if not the best of this style. (1,004 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -5.9%

12 oz bottle courtesy of grachdar. Thanks!

A: Yellowish orange. A pretty decent pour only yields a slight amount of head.

N: Pretty glorious. Lots of hops. Pineapple, grapefruit, some caramel and toffee, a little bit of pine. There's a really nice balance of sweetness and tropical fruit here, so this one's going to be right up my alley.

T: The taste lets me down after the promise of the nose. Very dry and earthy, with plenty of pine forest floor. Certainly nothing to complain about, but the dry hopping on the nose really makes my mouth water, and what I get is pretty dry and scraping without the abundance of the fruit.

M: Spot on for the style. There's enough palate coating, but the beer itself remains fairly light.

O: A pretty brilliant success, and a truly good APA. I received a 6 pack, and I'll be happy to share it with multiple friends. There's some excellent hop characteristics throughout on this, but my oh my, if only the taste was as good as the nose. (980 characters)

I had a bottle of this sent down from up north:
Pours beautiful golden with thick one finger head into pint glass, steady stream of bubbles head to the top.
Best aroma ever from a glass here with superb hop bouquet of perfection: aromatic nirvana for me. Sweet grapefruit and pine as well in there, and if somehow in a tropical way the taste follows suit. Nice, nice drinkability, finishes crisp and bitter with a very appealing lingering hop flavor. I guess I really favor citra hops!! I'm trying to pinpoint any slight shortcoming here but I'm already at the last sip and haven't come up with anything. Even though the malt backbone was nice it was backstage of the hop florality (new word) and I like it that way. I'm biased toward anything IPA/ DIPA, and AIPA is the least visited of the style for me. But of the ones I've tried, this does it. Superb. Easily in my Top 3 ever. I'm only sorry I can't purchase it in my state.  (936 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got this Hundo at the Three Floyd's brewpub.
Imperial Pint for a five spot.

Pours light clear copper orange with a massive 3 finger head. Legend

By far the best smelling IPA out there. It's spicy, citrusy, piney, with notes of lemon and grapefruit. It's off the fucking hook for an IPA.

The taste is very reminiscent of the smell. Bitter and bitter with a nice finish. Great citrusy flavor with a spicy kick One of the best iPa's out there.

Mouthfeel is nice. Could be a plate wrecker after a few though.

Review #100!! (528 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +7.7%

A- the color is deceivingly light for the array of flavors - lighter than straw. Looks like a wheat beer with a creamy head, slightly cloudy

S- This beer has a slightly sweet malty smell with a hint of citrus hops

T- Beautifully dry and crisp

M- Astringent

O- Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, this beer is from the upper crust (329 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

Had it on tap at the Brew pub in Munster. Pours a nice amber color with a two finger head. Nice lacing that seems to linger. Smells like a hop lovers dream. Taste is a fantastic hoppy flavor that finishes like no other. Mouthfeel is a medium balance of thickness. My first thought was wow, now I get it. A world class beer for a reason. Seek it out my beer loving friends. (372 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -15%

Appearance: A small head that deteriorates slowly, with a bit of lacing. Pale amber, with reasonable carbonation.

Smell: Strong hop aroma right out of the bottle. Very florid, almost too much so. Fades into a slightly tropical smell.

Taste: Smooth when it hits your tongue, but ends with a powerful hoppy back finish. A reasonable balance of malts.

Mouthfeel: Significant carbonation.

Drinkability: Limited. These are hop bombs--more than one or two and your taste buds will be dulled. (491 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Hazy golden/peach color with a generous fluffy white head. Lots of noticeable carbonation. Lacing is sticky and thick.

S: Wow. My nose is being assaulted by lemons and grapefruits. Smells like a tropical fruit IPA fan's heaven. Probably one of the best smelling beers I've come across.

T: Follows the nose with heaping amounts of lemons and other citrus fruits. VERY tropical citrus flavors with a slight malty sweetness to balance it out. The malt is barely noticeable, which I prefer when it comes to pale ales. This is a HUGE lemon bomb, which is very much a good thing.

M: Slightly bitter with a little bit above medium carbonation and a long lemony finish.

O: Being from NY, I was happy to run into a guy at my local beer stop that was looking to trade these. Definitely lives up to the hype and is worth trading for if you can get your hands on it. I just wish FFF extended their distribution to the east coast instead of planning their new brewery in Europe. (1,011 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +7.7%

Big thanks go out to brystmar for "extra-ing" me one of these! 12oz bottle, no date, poured into a Surly pint glass.

Pours a dark honey-gold, with a frothy white head on top. Great sticky lace holds on for dear life. "The nose, the nose, my kingdom for the nose." All things holy, this is an amazing aroma. Fresh hops, pine needles, citrus zest, and a dry hay-like aroma. Other beers have bits and pieces of this aroma, but this is so potent and so fresh. Frick. I want to "cologne-up" with this stuff.

The body is well-balanced and carbed up well. Crisp and clean, not too heavy. Holds its own with the ABV. Hops, hops, hops. Yes, please. Fresh green hops, grapefruit, melon, orange slices, honey - all melded perfectly to make this splendid beer. This beer is bitter, no doubt, but I love that it doesn't linger in any harsh manner. The finish is short, which I like and don't like at the same time. I like that it keeps me sipping (or gulping) more and more, but I don't like that my glass is soon empty, unable to be filled with this blessed brew again. More ZD, please!!! (1,079 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

There is something about this beer that separates it from all the other excellent APAs and DIPAs I've ever had...
The beer pours a light rusty orange with an off-white head. The beer's nose is incredibly dank and defines a crisp citra hoppiness. However, there is plenty of malt sweetness, which makes a huge impression on the beer's taste and mouthfeel. Thankfully the abrasively bitter hops didn't melt off my eyebrows and taste buds because the mouth watering, bitter-dry finish makes this beer something special. I would easily drink this beer all day and actually have trouble not finishing it within 5 minutes after opening. Get your hands on some and thanks Pellinore1 for the hook-up. (692 characters)

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.