Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,276
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,311 | Hads: 8,590
4.78/5  rDev +5.3%

I like the rue has a orange color I like ,
Smell wonderfully that's why citra hops is hard to get ,
Taste citra , and all the notes in that hops hop ,
Mouth feel you will take it home ,,yes it stays with yea
Over all that's a tuff beer to beat ,,, (249 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Served in a shaker pint glass bottled.

A - Bronze amber slightly opaque with 2 finger khaki head with excellent head retention and good frothy lacing.

S - Grapefruit, pine, sweet floral hops, and caramel malt and cracker bready yeast.

T - follows the nose...into the pearly gates. Amazing hops tones, a great balance with the sweet caramel malt and just a touch of alcohol. Like drinking hops while sitting in the hanging gardens and smelling the sweetest of breezes.

M - medium body, moderate carbonation. Smooth as hell.

O - the best apa in the world. Check. (565 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a clear warm orange with fast rising bubbles and a decent head that sticks around for awhile. The lacing webs its way all around the glass.

Hints of mango, grass, and peaches. A slight toastyness coming from the malt selection

Absolutely amazing malt characteristic upfront followed by satisfying hop dryness at the finish. Very drinkable and leaves your mouth with a fresh aftertaste.

Amazing brew and I can't wait to get my hands on some more (454 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

Got a couple of these from my friend Rudi out in Michigan.

First one poured into a Weyerbacher tulip glass. A karate kick of tropical fruit right to the nose, amazing. Orange, pineapple, And mango. The taste brings the same.. orange peel, mango, pineapple. Some spice and a little bit of a malt back bone. Tangy, sweet, slightly bitter and delicious. Three Floyds always comes correct, handled the Citra hops just perfectly with this one. Thanks Rudi. (453 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Big thanks to Ryan for bringing some back for me. Served into a Allagash 40cl glass.

A- Pours a nice amber gold color with a foamy one finger head. Retention is good and lacing is sticky.

S- Hops , hops and more hops. Love the smell of Citra hops. Some sweet notes of malt but seems well balanced. One of the best smelling Pale ales just not very strong aroma.

T- Fresh hops with a little sweet malt backbone flavor. They really profile this hop and all it's charectoristics very well. A little heavy for a pale but I love that most!!

M- Perfect. Very drinkable with medium body and carbonation. I truly could find myself easily drinking a few or more before I became hopped out.

O- One of the best made with the best by one of the best. (745 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +0.7%

Aroma is quite citrusy, with a tropical component to it as well. Very hoppy for a pale ale, it really smells a lot like a citrusy IPA would. Clearly this one is going to be aggressive, not that I'd expect less from FFF.

Taste is immediately very juicy, with grapefruit and tropical notes just exploding from the Citra hops. There isn't much of a doubt where this pale ale's hop character lies. Besides this, there's a small spicy biscuit malt that struggles to poke through near the finish. Despite how flavorful the hops are however, the interesting thing is that it isn't really a very bitter one. This shows on the finish, which is dry but with very little astringency at all. Very clean, and leaves you wanting more without any grimacing. Good stuff.

I'm definitely impressed! One of the most flavorful pale ales you'll ever have, but done in a clean and easy to drink way. (879 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Got this in a trade from HopsMatt. Thanks!

The beer was a pale golden color. Big three finger and fluffy head and had an off-white color. The head lasted for days and left some decent sticky lacing along the glass. It deflated down in to some mounds of pillowy foam.

A nose full of citrus and tropical fruit. Orange peel, lemon grass, mango, pineapple. Some floral tones road underneath. Faint sweet malt backbone.

Tons of fruity and juicy hops, followed by some earthy and floral notes. There was a pretty consistant bitterness and a minor sweetness.

Very bubbly and medium-light bodied. Kind of oily with a mild acidity.

Another awesome beer by Three Floyds. I'll have to work out some more trades for this stuff. (720 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours an orange hue, just off from amber. Pillowy white, 2 finger head. Great lacing.

S - Grapefruit, orange peel, bitter hops... Just tons of citrus.

T - Pine, moving into a sweet citrus followed by a somewhat bitter, crisp finish.

M - On point! Has a dry finish that leaves you wanting more.

O - The best pale ale I've ever had. It's hard not hard to brew a pale ale, but they're made a truly great pale ale. (418 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Three Floyds imperial pint glass

Pours a darker golden color with orange hues with a two finger bright white head, great retention and abundant lacing as the head recedes. Extremely fragant with the smell of citrus rind, freshly cut grass, and orange blossoms on the nose. Opens with pleasant citrus, tangy to slighly bitter, a very light touch of sweet malt, and finishes dry, crisp and clean with citrus rind and a touch of pine and the perfect amount of bitterness. An very refreshing APA, which shows a surprising amount of complexity for a brew that uses only Citra hops. (612 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured into a snifter on the 4th of July. Thanks for bringing this back from Munster, Cliff!

A: Clear orange/amber with an off-white half finger head that crawls from the crypt. Lacing to die for.

S: Hop central! Grassy, piney, grapefruit, hints of citrus. The horde is quickly approaching.

T: Very smooth blend of hops and malts. Grapefruit, pine. Tangy, citrus finish. The dead are scratching on my door, moaning for a taste.

M: Medium with creamy, frothy carbonation. Dry. Worthy of a return from the dead.

O: Ready for the apocalypse. Best pale ale I've had. Truly worth all the hype. Excuse me, I have to pop a few walkers in the cranium now. (652 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -3.7%

On-tap at Hopleaf.

A: Nice golden orange, thick off-white head.

S: Huge tangerine, sweet orange, peel, cake.

T: Orange, pine, bitter grass, sweet dough, lemon. Green in the finish, but juicy.

M: Crisp carbonation, medium-bodied.

O: Definitely one of the best pale ales I've had, and much better than Alpha King. (316 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to my good friend Mike for sharing this with me.

This is golden color with a hint of redness to it. Pours in the glass and gives a nice 1 inch head supported by countless streams of bubbles rising to the top. Smells of citrus plenty of grapefuit and oranges. Tastes the same. Ah- finally a pale ale without a strong aftertaste-amazing! It feels right in my mouth and it should always be there!

Overall I enjoyed this beer very much and will have it again if given the opportunity to do so. (498 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint. I've had this before, but only a small serving at a festival.

This beer pours out a hazy orange color with a decent head. The aroma is absolutely fantastic. This is one hoppy beer for sure, it's almost like sticking your nose right in a bag of hop pellets. Tropical fruits and citrus are the stars of the show. The taste is also absolutely fantastic, it's seriously a hop assault of the first order. The relatively low ABV keeps the malt profile to the absolute minimum (there's just a bit of pale, slightly biscuity malts if you can cut through the hops), letting the brilliant Citra hops shine through. Orange and grapefruit come out big on the flavor, leaving the tropical aspects to more of a backing flavor. Either way, it's fantastic. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and leaves the kind of dryness that's really quite similar to biting into a hop pellet, just on a much smaller scale. There's that much hops in here, guys. The drinkability is outstanding. Overall, this is the king of pale ales/IPAs for the hophead. Superb in every way. (1,092 characters)

Sampled on tap at the brewery.

A - Golden and clear with a big white head. Great lacing.

S - A huge, huge aroma of grapefruit, orange, mango and pineapple.

T - Pure hop flavor with all of the aspects above. The bitterness is moderate and the malt is sufficient but well overshadowed.

M - Creamy and silky with a low to moderate carbonation.

O - This is a flawless beer. Absolutely fantastic. (396 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks for this one ChicacoJohn! Zombie Dust is one of those beers. I've heard so much about it, all positive. It will be very hard to live up to my expectations. Here goes.

12oz bottle (no dates) into a tulip. Pours a glowing orange w/ a thick fluffy white head, good retention, nice lacing. Delicate wisps of sediment suspended in the brew, moderate carb. A beautiful beer.

Aroma is tons of grapefruit and pine. A clean punch of tropical goodness. Basically smells like a really good IPA. One word: Citra.

Taste is pale dry biscuity malt, a good neutral canvas to showcase the delicious Citra hops. Just a touch of bubblegum. Somehow some of the expected IBU bitterness has been stripped away (I've since learned that the beer is only dry-hopped, which probably explains this), but I'm still tempted to classify this as an American IPA.

Mouthfeel is about what you'd expect. Medium body, clean, crisp. Finishes dry. Refreshing and super drinkable.

Overall, yes this is very good. Didn't quite live up to what I was expecting, probably because people talked it up soooo much. Similar to many American IPAs I've had. Beyond that, not quite sure it's worth all the fuss it has received. It's delicious, but there's nothing especially unique or different here. (1,264 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -8.6%

A friend of mine picked up a case of this at the brewery and he was kind enough to give me a 6 pack. I knew that this was highly praised by many, so I was excited to try it. All Three Floyd's bottles usually have some cool artwork, but the Zombie Dust bottles are one of my favorite.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - It looks awesome right off the bat when you pour it. Tan / golden brown with a nice 2 finger head

S - Right away the citrus / piney hops hit you hard. It's a nice, wet, hoppy smell.

T - The taste didn't blow me away, but it was very good. Very nice citrus and pine hop flavors and surprisingly easy to drink.

M - The mouth feel was average. It was a little thin for my liking, but the carbonation was just right.

O - Overall, if you have a chance to pick this up, definitely give it a try. Most people absolutely love it. But personally, I think there are better IPA's on the shelf that you don't have to hunt down to find. (963 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this right from the tap as it was popped open and let's just say I can see why it gooes so quickly

Appearance:a dark amber honey color, lactated tight white cloud colored head that leaves immedietly

Smell: like a orange grove with a light breeze

Taste: definelty my favorite part, it has great grapefruit with orange peels and little lemon zest

Mouthfeel: wow it is like I am drinking olive oil and water, but in a good way, having this great drink coating my mouth it is like the taste doesn't want to leave and I am ok with that

Overall: I see the hype and glad that a pub across the street from me has this on tap I seriously love this beer I really reminds me of pliny the elder with all the hop oil and bitterness denfintly a must have so much I think I will have a 3rd just cause (794 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to Shrode21 for the trade on this one.

A vigorous pour into my stemmed Allagash glass revealed a lovely orange colored beer with a huge bubbly head that lingered for a long time. The head left great lacing as it receded. The aroma is nice and lively with hops up front in the nose (perhaps I smell Chinook and Cascade?) The taste is extremely delightful and filled with citrus, bitterness, and a clean malt sweetness that underlies all the hop awesomeness. The initial flavor is of a nice hop citrus flavor that quickly gets shoved to the side by malty sweetness, and then the bitterness takes over and it finishes smooth and tasty. The taste evolves constantly in the mouth and is a very refreshing beer.

This is an excellent Pale Ale. I have had many IPA's that are not as hoppy as this Pale Ale, but this beer is extremely well balanced. The flavors are spot on and this is probably the best APA I have ever had. Thanks again to Shrode21 for the trade, this stuff rocks. Now, can I copy this with my homebrewing skills? (1,031 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%

Zombie Dust. Three Floyds pale ale with 100% Citra hops. 6.2% ABV.

Clear, amber/apricot/peach coloration. Generous heap of ample snowy white froth atop. with loads of lace-leaving. Looks great.

Aromatics: Big fresh and floral hoppitude, overflowing citrus notes. Some lemon, some lime, a hint of pineapple, a gesture towards mango. Loud, lively, and lovable.

Taste: boom, there it is, bouncing on the palate, swimming in the mouth, a flood of hoppy goodness. Medium malty mouthfeel, nothing too heavy, nothing too hard, just a ton of easy-drinking-ness. A flood of fruit hits the sense with each new sip, a blast of citrus greets the tongue and hits the roof, and slides down the throat. Very refreshing, and super-extra-consumable.

But is this the best thing ever brewed in the history of mankind? Don't think so. Come on, it's a pale ale. Get over it. (857 characters)

4.54/5  rDev 0%

Had this on-tap on 2012-06-19 in Warsaw, IN at The Downtown beer bar. Also had this on-cask on 2013-04-07 at the brew pub in Munster, IN (it was equally good, if not a little better on-cask)

A - Fairly clear, golden-orange with a 2-finger white head into a nonic glass, which fades pretty quickly and leaves mild lacing.

S - Big amounts of mango and papaya, some pineapple and orange flesh, pine, hop bud oils. More aroma than when I last had it in the bottle.

T - Mango, papaya and orange flesh. Nice amount of pine then some orange zest bitterness. The sweetness of the malt really compliments the fruit flavors and briefly gives a creamsicle impression. Finishes dry and nicely bitter but with a clinging tropical and citrus residue.

M - Creamy with medium body and carbonation. It's thicker than I expected, which seems to compliment the idea of biting into fresh fruit. Somewhat oily but not prickly. There's certainly enough carbnoation to scrub the tongue; leaving you ready for the next taste.

O - Just a fabulous APA although truth-be-told, it is more IPA than APA. Great, great stuff. Unfortunately for me, when I went to order my second pint with dinner, the waiter told me I'd my first glass killed their keg. A well; at least I got to taste it fresh on-tap less than 2-hours from the brewery. (1,312 characters)

4.54/5  rDev 0%

My utmost thanks to my local trader, tone 77, for somehow scoring an ADDITIONAL bottle to pass on to me! My jaw hit the floor when I began going through his latest goodie bag and if he needs references, hopefully mine will suffice.

There was no gushing when I removed the cap, but there was a finger of thick, tawny head by the time that I finished with the pour. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was rich with citrus - grapefruit and orange in abundance. Mouthfeel was medium to full with a citrus intensity on the tongue that killed off all of the weak taste buds that got in its way. I felt like the fellow in the old Maxell tape commercial - blown back in my seat by the intensity of the experience. The finish was literally breathtaking - I really felt as though my breath had been taken away for a second or two after the swallow. The next thing to hit was the intensity of its dryness as I tried to catch my breath. The hops were toying with me to see if I measured up and I was doing my best to rise to the challenge. I suppose that my loss means that I will be transformed into a zombie at some point, but if a transformation must take place, better in my mind to be a zombie this way than a Cyberperson via a Minhas product. (1,256 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

I have been saving myself to write my first review until I tried this beer. It has taken 5 years, but I finally have gotten my hands on this marvelous brew.

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber color, not quite the right color for a pale ale, so this is my only knock on this beer. A one finger head dissipates as you drink it, but it leaves a little tracing on the glass

S: Grapefruit, hops, spice, and floral. Beautiful combination of beta acid hops stand out. As it warms, a slight sweetness takes over.

T: Juicy, the label had it right! There is a beautiful balance of malt and hops, slight herb, citrus, a bit of bread/yeast comes through as well. Slight bitterness as it finishes, but not a palate wrecker. Very crisp and refreshing.

M: Mild carbonation, coats your mouth, but doesn't linger like more hoppy beers.

O: This is my favorite new brew. I had read great things about this beer for 5 years, and have been waiting patiently to get my hands on it. Anytime anyone wants to trade this beer to me, I will not turn it down. What a great combination of hops and grain! I continue to be amazed as I drink this beer. (1,169 characters)

4.48/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Quite simply, this is a great beer. This beer is right at the top of my favorite beers.

The smell is awesome. Every time I anticipate having one of these, I drool thinking of the great smell that comes out of the bottle.

This beer has a great taste. I could drink this all day long.

Also, it has an incredibly cool bottle cap :)!

I love this stuff. If I lived in the area, would be spending a lot of time at FFF! (416 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle to dimple mug:

Pours a nice, clear pear gold with a swelling finger of dense-ish white head. Consistent, slow beading and average lacing.

The nose is truly divine... lush tropical fruits, mango, pineapple, heavy sweet syrup, nectarine, all sorts of citrus, bits of dank herb. Massive smelling beer.

The taste hosts a whole slew of similar notes, but not quite the same density that is achieved in the aroma. Certainly a whollop of citric hops. Tasty stuff.

The feel is a tad thin. Still immensely drinkable, especially given the insane level of hop dosage.

Great beer that I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to try. (657 characters)

4.49/5  rDev -1.1%

An extra from Capt Cleveland. Thanks!!

Golden-red-amber body. Very little head.

Super sharp green hop aroma. Citrus tropical heaven in my nose.

Flavor is perfectly tart, sharp, citrus on a minimal foundation of neutral-sweet malt. Pliny-like? Yes sir, but in a Pale Ale!

Mouthfeel is crisp, slick, stripping.

Insane drinkability. Everything you love about your favorite DIPAs, but at 6.4% What a great idea! (412 characters)

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.