Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,438
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,375 | Hads: 8,970
4.89/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint. I've had this before, but only a small serving at a festival.

This beer pours out a hazy orange color with a decent head. The aroma is absolutely fantastic. This is one hoppy beer for sure, it's almost like sticking your nose right in a bag of hop pellets. Tropical fruits and citrus are the stars of the show. The taste is also absolutely fantastic, it's seriously a hop assault of the first order. The relatively low ABV keeps the malt profile to the absolute minimum (there's just a bit of pale, slightly biscuity malts if you can cut through the hops), letting the brilliant Citra hops shine through. Orange and grapefruit come out big on the flavor, leaving the tropical aspects to more of a backing flavor. Either way, it's fantastic. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and leaves the kind of dryness that's really quite similar to biting into a hop pellet, just on a much smaller scale. There's that much hops in here, guys. The drinkability is outstanding. Overall, this is the king of pale ales/IPAs for the hophead. Superb in every way.

Sampled on tap at the brewery.

A - Golden and clear with a big white head. Great lacing.

S - A huge, huge aroma of grapefruit, orange, mango and pineapple.

T - Pure hop flavor with all of the aspects above. The bitterness is moderate and the malt is sufficient but well overshadowed.

M - Creamy and silky with a low to moderate carbonation.

O - This is a flawless beer. Absolutely fantastic.

4.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks for this one ChicacoJohn! Zombie Dust is one of those beers. I've heard so much about it, all positive. It will be very hard to live up to my expectations. Here goes.

12oz bottle (no dates) into a tulip. Pours a glowing orange w/ a thick fluffy white head, good retention, nice lacing. Delicate wisps of sediment suspended in the brew, moderate carb. A beautiful beer.

Aroma is tons of grapefruit and pine. A clean punch of tropical goodness. Basically smells like a really good IPA. One word: Citra.

Taste is pale dry biscuity malt, a good neutral canvas to showcase the delicious Citra hops. Just a touch of bubblegum. Somehow some of the expected IBU bitterness has been stripped away (I've since learned that the beer is only dry-hopped, which probably explains this), but I'm still tempted to classify this as an American IPA.

Mouthfeel is about what you'd expect. Medium body, clean, crisp. Finishes dry. Refreshing and super drinkable.

Overall, yes this is very good. Didn't quite live up to what I was expecting, probably because people talked it up soooo much. Similar to many American IPAs I've had. Beyond that, not quite sure it's worth all the fuss it has received. It's delicious, but there's nothing especially unique or different here.

4.15/5  rDev -8.6%

A friend of mine picked up a case of this at the brewery and he was kind enough to give me a 6 pack. I knew that this was highly praised by many, so I was excited to try it. All Three Floyd's bottles usually have some cool artwork, but the Zombie Dust bottles are one of my favorite.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - It looks awesome right off the bat when you pour it. Tan / golden brown with a nice 2 finger head

S - Right away the citrus / piney hops hit you hard. It's a nice, wet, hoppy smell.

T - The taste didn't blow me away, but it was very good. Very nice citrus and pine hop flavors and surprisingly easy to drink.

M - The mouth feel was average. It was a little thin for my liking, but the carbonation was just right.

O - Overall, if you have a chance to pick this up, definitely give it a try. Most people absolutely love it. But personally, I think there are better IPA's on the shelf that you don't have to hunt down to find.

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this right from the tap as it was popped open and let's just say I can see why it gooes so quickly

Appearance:a dark amber honey color, lactated tight white cloud colored head that leaves immedietly

Smell: like a orange grove with a light breeze

Taste: definelty my favorite part, it has great grapefruit with orange peels and little lemon zest

Mouthfeel: wow it is like I am drinking olive oil and water, but in a good way, having this great drink coating my mouth it is like the taste doesn't want to leave and I am ok with that

Overall: I see the hype and glad that a pub across the street from me has this on tap I seriously love this beer I really reminds me of pliny the elder with all the hop oil and bitterness denfintly a must have so much I think I will have a 3rd just cause

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to Shrode21 for the trade on this one.

A vigorous pour into my stemmed Allagash glass revealed a lovely orange colored beer with a huge bubbly head that lingered for a long time. The head left great lacing as it receded. The aroma is nice and lively with hops up front in the nose (perhaps I smell Chinook and Cascade?) The taste is extremely delightful and filled with citrus, bitterness, and a clean malt sweetness that underlies all the hop awesomeness. The initial flavor is of a nice hop citrus flavor that quickly gets shoved to the side by malty sweetness, and then the bitterness takes over and it finishes smooth and tasty. The taste evolves constantly in the mouth and is a very refreshing beer.

This is an excellent Pale Ale. I have had many IPA's that are not as hoppy as this Pale Ale, but this beer is extremely well balanced. The flavors are spot on and this is probably the best APA I have ever had. Thanks again to Shrode21 for the trade, this stuff rocks. Now, can I copy this with my homebrewing skills?

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%

Zombie Dust. Three Floyds pale ale with 100% Citra hops. 6.2% ABV.

Clear, amber/apricot/peach coloration. Generous heap of ample snowy white froth atop. with loads of lace-leaving. Looks great.

Aromatics: Big fresh and floral hoppitude, overflowing citrus notes. Some lemon, some lime, a hint of pineapple, a gesture towards mango. Loud, lively, and lovable.

Taste: boom, there it is, bouncing on the palate, swimming in the mouth, a flood of hoppy goodness. Medium malty mouthfeel, nothing too heavy, nothing too hard, just a ton of easy-drinking-ness. A flood of fruit hits the sense with each new sip, a blast of citrus greets the tongue and hits the roof, and slides down the throat. Very refreshing, and super-extra-consumable.

But is this the best thing ever brewed in the history of mankind? Don't think so. Come on, it's a pale ale. Get over it.

4.54/5  rDev 0%

Had this on-tap on 2012-06-19 in Warsaw, IN at The Downtown beer bar. Also had this on-cask on 2013-04-07 at the brew pub in Munster, IN (it was equally good, if not a little better on-cask)

A - Fairly clear, golden-orange with a 2-finger white head into a nonic glass, which fades pretty quickly and leaves mild lacing.

S - Big amounts of mango and papaya, some pineapple and orange flesh, pine, hop bud oils. More aroma than when I last had it in the bottle.

T - Mango, papaya and orange flesh. Nice amount of pine then some orange zest bitterness. The sweetness of the malt really compliments the fruit flavors and briefly gives a creamsicle impression. Finishes dry and nicely bitter but with a clinging tropical and citrus residue.

M - Creamy with medium body and carbonation. It's thicker than I expected, which seems to compliment the idea of biting into fresh fruit. Somewhat oily but not prickly. There's certainly enough carbnoation to scrub the tongue; leaving you ready for the next taste.

O - Just a fabulous APA although truth-be-told, it is more IPA than APA. Great, great stuff. Unfortunately for me, when I went to order my second pint with dinner, the waiter told me I'd my first glass killed their keg. A well; at least I got to taste it fresh on-tap less than 2-hours from the brewery.

4.54/5  rDev 0%

My utmost thanks to my local trader, tone 77, for somehow scoring an ADDITIONAL bottle to pass on to me! My jaw hit the floor when I began going through his latest goodie bag and if he needs references, hopefully mine will suffice.

There was no gushing when I removed the cap, but there was a finger of thick, tawny head by the time that I finished with the pour. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was rich with citrus - grapefruit and orange in abundance. Mouthfeel was medium to full with a citrus intensity on the tongue that killed off all of the weak taste buds that got in its way. I felt like the fellow in the old Maxell tape commercial - blown back in my seat by the intensity of the experience. The finish was literally breathtaking - I really felt as though my breath had been taken away for a second or two after the swallow. The next thing to hit was the intensity of its dryness as I tried to catch my breath. The hops were toying with me to see if I measured up and I was doing my best to rise to the challenge. I suppose that my loss means that I will be transformed into a zombie at some point, but if a transformation must take place, better in my mind to be a zombie this way than a Cyberperson via a Minhas product.

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

I have been saving myself to write my first review until I tried this beer. It has taken 5 years, but I finally have gotten my hands on this marvelous brew.

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber color, not quite the right color for a pale ale, so this is my only knock on this beer. A one finger head dissipates as you drink it, but it leaves a little tracing on the glass

S: Grapefruit, hops, spice, and floral. Beautiful combination of beta acid hops stand out. As it warms, a slight sweetness takes over.

T: Juicy, the label had it right! There is a beautiful balance of malt and hops, slight herb, citrus, a bit of bread/yeast comes through as well. Slight bitterness as it finishes, but not a palate wrecker. Very crisp and refreshing.

M: Mild carbonation, coats your mouth, but doesn't linger like more hoppy beers.

O: This is my favorite new brew. I had read great things about this beer for 5 years, and have been waiting patiently to get my hands on it. Anytime anyone wants to trade this beer to me, I will not turn it down. What a great combination of hops and grain! I continue to be amazed as I drink this beer.

4.48/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Quite simply, this is a great beer. This beer is right at the top of my favorite beers.

The smell is awesome. Every time I anticipate having one of these, I drool thinking of the great smell that comes out of the bottle.

This beer has a great taste. I could drink this all day long.

Also, it has an incredibly cool bottle cap :)!

I love this stuff. If I lived in the area, would be spending a lot of time at FFF!

4.34/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle to dimple mug:

Pours a nice, clear pear gold with a swelling finger of dense-ish white head. Consistent, slow beading and average lacing.

The nose is truly divine... lush tropical fruits, mango, pineapple, heavy sweet syrup, nectarine, all sorts of citrus, bits of dank herb. Massive smelling beer.

The taste hosts a whole slew of similar notes, but not quite the same density that is achieved in the aroma. Certainly a whollop of citric hops. Tasty stuff.

The feel is a tad thin. Still immensely drinkable, especially given the insane level of hop dosage.

Great beer that I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to try.

4.49/5  rDev -1.1%

An extra from Capt Cleveland. Thanks!!

Golden-red-amber body. Very little head.

Super sharp green hop aroma. Citrus tropical heaven in my nose.

Flavor is perfectly tart, sharp, citrus on a minimal foundation of neutral-sweet malt. Pliny-like? Yes sir, but in a Pale Ale!

Mouthfeel is crisp, slick, stripping.

Insane drinkability. Everything you love about your favorite DIPAs, but at 6.4% What a great idea!

4.94/5  rDev +8.8%

First beer I bothered to post a review of. That is because this is the single best beer of the APA/IPA style I have ever had. Living in San Diego, I have access to a lot of that style but nothing we have comes close to this. I recently traded for a case courtesy of kawilliams81 after previously having a few 6 packs from trades.

A: It is seriously a "5" beer. I gave appearance a 4 as it is a cloudy, golden colored beer. I don't care about appearance at all but I think they look the nicest when totally clear.

S: The nose of this beer is incredible. Huge Citra blast that you'd expect from a a HUGE IPA, all in a "little" 6ish % ABV beer. Very fruity, smells absolutely delicious.

T: Incredible. No - it's not a giant "Triple" IPA hop/malt bomb - instead it's a perfectly juicy, easy drinking, flawlessly balanced treat. I really can't explain it, just try it.

M: Light, refreshing, drinkable. Finish is gone soon after swallow, nothing lingers.

Overall: Again, get some of this fresh if you can. Nothing like it. My favorites of this style in San Diego are Hoppy Birthday and New Millenium from Alpine Beer Company, but they have nothing on ZD. If this was on the shelf here along with Pliny, Sculpin - ANY of our stuff, I'd pull the ZD every time.

4.73/5  rDev +4.2%

Serving Type: Poured from 12oz bottle into Lagunitas mason jar. Bottling date unknown.

Appearance (5.0) - Voluminous chalk-white head with a cappuccino-foam consistency, 2 1/2 fingers. Tenacious but sparse lacing as the head recedes. Even after several minutes the surface is still glazed with thin but complete layer of fine white foam. Beautiful, clear orange body with visible effervescence. Pretty ideal. Looks just a like a hop-dominant pale ale should.

Smell (4.5) - Smells like a farmer's market would if you live near the equator. Lush tropical fruit; papaya, banana, tangerine, ruby grapefruit, even a hint of strawberry-kiwi. Traces of a delicate floral aroma are apparent momentarily after the initial fruit kick fades. Wonderful. Pine and spice not in evidence. If pressed I'd say the only thing to improve upon would be enhancing the strength of the aroma just a little bit.

Taste (5.0) - Follows the smell; sweet tropical fruit. It's like a papaya/citrus/pineapple smoothy in beer form. A nutritionist would count a 12oz bottle as at least two full servings of fruit. Really wonderful and balanced, with the malt taking an obvious backseat in order showcase the delicate and ripe blend of warm, floral flavors from the hops. A gentle bitterness chases the fruit out of the mouth. Very faint hint of herbal undertones after the swallow, like a touch of green bell pepper. Damned delicious.

Mouthfeel (4.5) - Round, creamy, light. Carbonation is medium-high, but bubbles are minute and silky, and so the overall feel is that of a slightly less carbonated beer with a velvety buoyancy. Very enjoyable. Only thing to improve upon would be perhaps toning down the acidity a notch or two, as it claws at the cheeks a bit in its current form.

Overall (4.5+) - I considered giving this a (5.0) overall, but I can't quite say that there literally isn't any room for improvement, so it gets a (4.5+). Like I mentioned above, toning down the acidity and beefing up the aroma a small bit would be two good strategies to take this beer to the next level. That said, this is without a doubt the best pale ale I've had to date. It's really fantastic and if you haven't had one I think you definitely should!

Thanks very much to BA apocalypsezombie for beering me this gem!

4.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Bought from Binny's where they were limiting to a single 6-pack per person.

Poured bottle into a pint glass.

Golden color with a small amount of white foam.

Very hoppy taste with some grapefruit flavor.

Surprised it's marketed as an American Pale Ale and not an IPA or even a Double.

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

12oz bottle into a Bruery Tulip. No bottle date, but I believe it is from early May.

Pours a hazy orange. About like marmalade. Gives a generous fluffy white head that falls to a film.

Nose is all about the hops. Bright citrus aromas. A single hop showcase, for sure.

Moderately bitter and fairly dry, this is my kind of Pale Ale. So many beers in this range come across as muddled or dull. Zombie Dust is big, bright, and full of character.

Medium bodied with a dry finish. This is just how an American Pale Ale should be.

Overall, a wonderful showcase of the Citra hop. It's easy to see why Three Floyd's has struck a chord with this beer.

4.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

a- pours a deep, cloudy orange with a nice one inch head that sticks to the side of the glass.

s- fresh lemon and orange zest, mango, pineapple, sweet caramel, and some bready after notes. this beer has great balance. cant wait to taste it.

t- grapefruit, lemon, mango up front... some malty bitterness in the finish. it makes me think of one of those "kings hawaiian rolls". this is one hell of a pale ale! nicely balanced, and very drinkable.

m- goes in and just coats your whole mouth. i didnt think this beer was going to be this viscous, but at the same time has some very nice carbonation. this beer is a straight up bomb!

o- overall, i am looking forward to drinking another one of these. this is my first FFF beer and i am very pleased!

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance - Very Hazy/Unfiltered orange color with some decent lacing.

Smell - Rich Citrus Hops, Grapefruit, Yeasts and Malts.

Taste - Rich Citrus Hops, Grapefruit, Yeasts and malty flavors. Very impressed by the richness of the flavors despite it not being as complex as other ales.

Mouthfeel - Heavier Bodied with slight carbonation. Feels rather crisp and easy to drink.

Overall - This is my first beer from Three Floyds and I took it upon myself to try it out since it wasn't available in Minnesota. I have to I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I look forward to trying more offerings from 3 Floyds

4.49/5  rDev -1.1%

Review from notes on 10/23/11. Bought a case at the brewery, split three ways.

A: Pale cloudy light orange. Smaller white head. Decent spotty lacing.

S: Sweet tropical fruits with some nice carmel notes. Huge nose on this, seems like it should be a double IPA from the smell alone.

T: So much flavor, lots of juicy sweet hops, but not overly bitter at all. Amazing balance of malt and hops. Mainly tropical hops, with a bit of pine and citrus. Fairly crisp finish.

M: Medium to lighter body. Average carbonation. Really refreshing.

O: Amazing drinkability. Best pale ale I've had if you want to call it that, though it is borderline IPA to me.

I have to give this beer 5's all the way across. There is nothing that compares to this beer in the APA style. The Smell is unbelievable.. with grapefruit, mango, and other tropical fruits. Following the nose, the taste is pretty much on point. Excellent citrus flavors with a nice crisp citra hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is slick and creamy with medium carbonation.

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: It has a nice golden/orange color to it. It has a nice white head that dies down moderately and leaves very nice lacing.

Smell: WOW! The aromas give out hints of citrus, mango, pineapple, grapefruit and more! It's a tropical hop explosion!

Taste: Like the aromas, it's all hops. Mango, pineapple, citrus, grapefruit all blend together with some light caramel on the back. Amazing!

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a great overall balance and feel. Nice bitterness for an APA.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavors and aromas. Best APA i've ever had and best beer!

4.57/5  rDev +0.7%

I had this on tap at Three Floyds. It is a golden color with a strong floral and citrus aroma. Taste is loaded with floral and citrus hops with a nice orange flavor and without a strong alcohol presence. This is an extremely drinkable and delicious beer.

4.24/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a clear, deep golden color with no head. Head never developed as a consequence of the care taken in the pour by the attendant. Incidentally, it was nice to see that the 3 Floyds staff were just as cheerful as ever *sarcasm*. Even as guests of Firestone-Walker after having been invited to their beer festival, the 3 Floyds staff were lifeless, provided no information about their beers, and couldn't even muster a smile or spare a "you're welcome." Anyway, back to Zombie Dust. The beer has a glorious floral bouquet with just a hint of peat. The mouthfeel, which enjoys a decent balance of carbonation, is good for the style. The flavor is grapefruit forward with notes of peat. A good effort.

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%

Good looking beer, plenty of big white head ad good lacing tops a somewhat hazy, light brown beer.

Smell and taste are intense, and amazing! This is perhaps the best pale ale I've had. Intense grapefruit and earthy pine on the smell. Taste is a bold, crisp, deliciously piney and citrus hopped blast of flavor, with fruity notes. The malts offer body but mostly I'm tasting hops.

Given that this is a citra showcase beer, it makes me want to brew an all citra pale ale soon!

The body is light yet almost tingly with hops and fruity aftertastes.

Overall this beer rocks and I'm leaving it on my wants list!

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.