Zombie Dust - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Wants: 4,271
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,306 | Hads: 8,580

Finally getting around to review this. I had ZD before it was ZD </superbeernerd>. Thanks to Darryl for bringing a bunch back from his band trip. Poured into my Hill farmstead tulip.

A- Beautiful golden orange color with light head that sticks to the sides of the glass and laces perfectly.

S - Pure fruit nose. Probably the best smelling beer I've ever smelled. TONS of fruit (mango, pineapple, and the like).

T - Taste is more of the same. Infinite mango and pineapple without being overly bitter. This is the beer to showcase exactly what Citra hops can do. Slight malt backbone to round out an insanely drinkable beer.

M - Perfect carbonation and slightly lingering bitterness that makes you want, nay, need to drink more.

O - This is probably the best beer I have ever had. It deserves this incredible ranking. If I were stuck on a desert Island and had one beer to drink forever, this would be it. Period. (922 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%

A: This pours a nice Golden orange body with a thick white head that slowly fades. The head never goes fully away and leaves a nice cloudiness.

S: The greatest smell in the whole world to me. The Citra hops just explode on the nose and I can't think of a better smelling hop than this. Just so amazing!

T: Again so much flavor with the nice fruity hop flavor that lingers for a while. There is for sure a great malt flavor too, that is sweet.

M: Very smooth, with an enjoyable crispness on the tip of the tongue and the back of the throat.

O: One of the best beers I have ever had in my life. There is nothing lacking in this beer and I'm just blown away at how the hops fit perfectly. (689 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

Finally got this in bottles after drinking at pub as Cenotaph then Zombie dust several times.

The aromatics on this beer are staggering. Simply nothing else like it. Every citrus fruit you can imagine and a bit of pineapple. Nice sticky lacing as well. Taste is phenomenal. Love this on tap, really pleased the bottle holds up just as well. (342 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I'm generally not a huge fan of hopped-up APAs, so I'm curious to see what this one is like. Poured into a tulip.

Pours a very clear, bright, apple-juice golden-orange. One finger of off-white head, good retention, awesome lacing. Definitely an inviting beer.

Smell is fruity and piney hops galore. Citrus, pine, sweetness, all wrapped up in a lovely package. Loads of grapefruit (but juicy, not acrid like the peel), pineapple, and some resiny stuff in the background. Malts? I can tell they're there, because the beer feels plenty full underneath those hops, but I can't tease anything out of them.

Now I see what all the fuss is about. It's warm, full, and flavorful, with plenty of hop presence but not much bitterness. Not many hop-forward beers can pull this off - feels like heavy dry-hopping with not too much in the boil. Yum. Starts out slightly grainy and grassy, then tongue-tickling spicy pine comes in. Feels like it evaporates off the tongue.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Light, crisp, and well-carbonated, with a divine dry finish that just leaves a little bitterness lingering on the corners of the tongue.

A very light, flavorful pale ale, but without the bitterness of most IPAs. This is a really interesting beer, planted firmly between typical IPAs and typical APAs. I like it. It does the same disappearing act that Gumballhead does, where the beer simply vanishes from my mouth, leaving little trace of its passing. (1,436 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +8.4%

12 oz. bottle from the brewery.

A medium pour raises a tall head that slowly settles into a dense round clump in the middle of a Boston Lager glass. Hazed golden beauty with apricot highlights.

Strong smell of juicy fruits. Grapefruit, pineapple and resinous citra hops. The signature 3 Floyds scent.

Taste is same as the nose. Sweet citrus fruits bursting with flavor. A balanced and not too bitter hop bomb of a pale ale.

Goes down easy like a pale ale should. Smooth, moderately carbonated and refreshing. Lives up to the hype. I am lucky to live 45 minutes from the brewery as this is difficult to find. $8.75 per sixer at the Brewpub and twice the price at local stores when you can find it. (700 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: Pours a translucent amber orange with a lasting lacing and slight head retention. carbonation bubbles up vigorously through the glass. A perfect hue.

Smell: sticky grapefruit and citrus up front, slight pine and lemon zest. a hint of mustiness that's not offensive. oranges on the back end.

Taste: grapefruit rind is dominant, lemon peel. extremely hoppy with little to no malt backbone which I expect in an APA. some may feel it's overhopped and this is definitely a strongly hopped APA. fruitiness lingers from start to finish

Mouthfeel: very dry in the end and nicely carbonated. the dryness lingers well after as well. This is superbly done. There is nothing heavy about this beer at all although the bitterness hangs on for dear life

Overall: There is nothing I don't love about this beer. Call me a fanboy. If put on a desert island this is my beer of choice. Not overly light as to feel like water but not so heavy as to feel weighed down. It's the perfect balance and could only dream of having this offered down the street on a regular basis. (1,067 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my brother-in-law in Chicago since we don't get it up in MI.

Appearance is a glorious white foamy head that lingers and lingers on top of a sunny orange body.

The aromas of grapefruit, orange, and resin are remarkable with the Citra hops. I love this smell - one of the reasons I love beer!

Taste is all bitterness and hops. There is very little malt to support the hops. Overpowering with bitterness. I was hoping for better balance given the incredibly high rating of this beer, but again the hops are too strong in a Three Floyds beer. Perhaps it simply too much for my tastebuds since my friend loved it. A hop bomb for sure!

Mouthfeel is very dry. The finish is bitter and dry.

Overall this one resembles Gumballhead - I did not have side-by-side, but on different days. The bitterness and the lacking malt to support it are what make these beers good to try, but not must haves to acquire again. (919 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

These guys have such great labels. Love this one. Thanks Yeahnatenelson!

Appearance. Pours gold-amber with a little haze and a half finger of almost white head.

Smell. Nite toasty light grains, some cedar, citrus rinds, and maybe a little peach.

Taste. Nice bitter citrus fruits and rinds, some toasty malts and a little bit piney. Very nice.

Mouthfeel. Just below a medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall. Very nice ipa. Wait, apa? Okay. Anyways, a very good beer. (477 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -13.7%

Thanks to rmalinowski4 for this one.

Pours a slightly hazy bright orange color with two fingers of off white head that recede to a nice tight white cap. As is expected tons of citra hops on the nose, really bright citrus fruits and just a touch of dankness. No real malt presence on the nose. The taste is more of the same, tons of hops all over the place with a bit of a spicy bitterness on the palate. The mouthfeel is very nice, could have easily downed a 6 pack if I had it. Overall this is a great beer but I would have liked just a touch more maltiness on the taste to balance out the hops, as it is it came off just a bit harsh. Definitely worth seeking out if you are a hop-head. (688 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from bottle to pint glass the beer arrives a pale orange color, mostly clear, with a nice 2 finger white head. Good retention and lacing throughout. The nose is an explosion of Citra hops in your face. Awesome. A large citrus and tropical fruit character with a hint of pine. Couldn't possibly be better. The flavor follows suit. Terrific. It's hard to think this isn't an IPA with the hop character. Again, the Citra hops explode on your palette. Medium bitter with a large tropical fruit, mango, grapefruit, pine tone. Again, I am not sure how this could improve. The light malt base provides enough sweetness to balance this out well. Finishes with a lingering citrus on the tongue. Medium bodied and well carbonated. Overall, this is a phenomenal beer. I wish I could have more and more and more. Highly recommended!! (828 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into a Belgian Tulip. First time having Zombie Dust.

A-Awesome orange glow. Solid white head that hold momentarily and then fades. Leaves a small white head above the body for much of the duration of drinking

S- A big old hop bomb. Tons of citrus and grapefruit coming off the nose. Even finishes a little piney. It is a fantastic smell. I wish my life smelled like this.

T- Holy hop hell. I know this is an APA but it has the hop presence of a full blown IPA. The bitterness is near perfect for the body. It is so grapefruity and citrusy it's ridiculous. Th taste hold

M-Perfect body for the style. It's not to thin, but not to heavy. The carbonation lingers in the mouth and can be felt long after the beer is gone

O-This is my first solo FFF offering besides a few of their collaborations. I am happy to have tried it I want this beer all the time and am jealous of everyone that can. I will trade for this whenever possible, or I could just move there. Awesome beer. (983 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Duvel tulip. Drank and reviewed 2/17.

A: Murky light orange with a small white head that dissipates quickly, leaving nice lacing.

S: One of the best smells ever. Dank hops and citrus rind. No malt. Yum.

T: Citrus, grapefruit, a little pine. Again, no malt. Unbelievable. Some sweetness at end.

M: Crisp carbonation, very drinkable. Could have this all day as long as I had some water too.

O: Probably a new favorite pale. I even love the taste of my beer burps. Met my high expectations. (504 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

I originally reviewed this back on 03-31-2012 and gave it a 3.55. I believe the bottle was old as I got some oddly savory (pizza goldfish) flavors and aromas. Take two on a fresher bottle!

12 oz bottle into a 3F pint glass. This was picked up in early July. Reviewing on 7/16/2012.

A - Golden clear amber body. Splotchy one finger off-white head. Really small and tight bubbles. Great lacing and retention.

S - Very grapefruit and mango heavy with some caramel malts. There is also a savory and danky spice to the aroma. A bit of grass and earthiness in the finish.

T - More of the grapefruit and mango hops with that dankiness. Some caramel malts and a bitter finish, although the bitterness quickly washes away. Really awesome blend of citrus and tropical flavors with a pleasant spicy earthiness. Mouth feel is medium to light with nice carbonation.

O - Probably the best pale ale I've had, although I feel like 3F is stretching the category a bit as its pretty much an IPA. Having a fresh bottle certainly renewed my faith in the citra hop. (1,050 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +4.4%

Huge thanks to jhighlandbrewing...

A: Pours a wonderful light honey color (slight reds, big oranges and yellows) with about one full ginger of pure white head. There is a good amount of lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is sweet malt and big citrus (grapefruit, orange peel, lemon zest). There is also a nice herbal yeasty undertone as well.

T: The taste follows the nose. It has a sweet start that transitions into bitter citrus hops. There is huge grapefruit, lemon zest, and orange peel. It's fantastic. There is a nice crispness to this beer as well. Fantastic.

M: Medium bodied beer. This brew has a bit of heft, but it's so damn refreshing that you forget how heavy it might be. The flavors engulf the palate but they don't linger too long.

O: This is a stellar beer. I loved it the first time I tried it, and I still love it today. I think it actually gets way better as it warms. A great APA all the way around. Cheers to FFF. (938 characters)

I was given a case of this beer last year and have to say I was blown away. The appearance is spot on, the smell is so mango, fruity, sweet and hoppy that I couldnt resist about six of them in a sitting.

This is a beer that I would hang my hat on as being spot on perfect all around. I know people have their favorites but I have tried just about EVERY beer in this catagory and cant find one better. IF you have scored this beer high but couldnt go to 5 all across, what was stopping you? Are you waiting to find that one in the future? I think after trying and reviewing about 2000 beers from all over the globe (not on here of course) I have finally found that ONE.

This is what a pale ale in America should be. If not for the 4 million calories and a feeling that I need to hit the gym more regularly, I would have two of these every day.

Lacing is great, smell is great, taste is AWESOME and overall it all mixes together to be 3 Floyds best beer IMO.

If you have a favorite IPA or a favorite PA, you HAVE to give this a shot, and by the way, its ok to give it 5's across the board...i think this SHOULD be the benchmark. (1,130 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks a lot Adamb!

A: Alive and glowing. Orange body, white head, not shocktop.

S: Citra.

Then some hop dry must/funk akin to simcoe (I know). Definitely at the Zenith of aroma for a pale ale. Wonderful smell, hoppier than the majority of IPAs.

T: Lots of citrus initially but further down the glass I get more lighter than water dryness from the hop profile--->M: I feel like I'm drinking air. However the lighter body and lower alcohol vs. a standard DIPA bill (which is the level the hops are playing, and dominating, on) makes this beer thee definition of drinkable. Carbonation spot on, residual negligible.

O: It's hard to look at you and say "You aren't perfect". I'm not entirely sure this is what an American Pale Ale is supposed to taste like either though (777 characters)

Pours a clear dark orange with a big white, fluffy head that lingers and laces.

Smells of citra hops, some sweetness, maybe honey, and slight astringency.

Taste is citra and amarillo hops up front that goes into a lighter fruit note with just a hint of grapefruit and pine and ends on a bitter and slightly astringent finish. A hint of malt breadiness lingers.

Light to medium body with medium to high carbonation works well.

This is a good, citra forward APA/IPA. Not much else to say. (492 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I think the first thing that needs to be said about this beer, is the amazing label, a trademark of Three Floyds, but this one might be my favorite. The beer pours a great hazy honey color, hints of oranges, yellows and gold when held to the light. A nice finger and a half of soapy white head sits atop the beer that has mild retention but leaves really nice sticky webbed and spotted lacing. The nose is incredible, a big blast of citrus, heavy on grapefruit and sweeter tangerines or lemons. Some tropical notes come forward as well, mangos or pineapples that add additional sweetness but also some tartness. There is also a nice grassy, dank floral element from the hops that transitions nicely into the malt notes, that while faint, still come forward with some nice light breadiness. The flavors are great, big citrus elements, some flavors that, like Gumballhead, reminds me of cat pee, but in a oddly good way, with some nice sappy and sticky pine flavors. The breadiness is also apparent, which is a bit stronger than the nose leads on and finishes with a very dry, bitter and tart apple-y flavor that is oh so nice. The body is great, super full for a pale ale, but not overbearing in any way, extremely palatable.

Verdict: Massive triumph from Three Floyds. I don’t think there is a better pale ale in the world, it has all of the flavors and aromas of a strong double IPA while having almost none of the bitterness or alcohol and remains exceptionally drinkable. This is one to stock up on whenever it gets released, which is not often enough. (1,558 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Pours a fairly clear golden-orange color with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lace.

S - Aroma is full of citrus hops with lots of grapefruit, orange peel, and some tropical fruits. There is also some sweet caramel malt and a bit of biscuit.

T - Starts off with some grapefruit and orange peel hops with some bitterness and some sweet caramel malts in the background. Through the middle some pineapple and mango comes through with some more bitterness and some biscuit malt. The finish is a mix of citrus hops, bit of pine hops resin, good bitterness, and a bit of sweet malt.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a dry and bitter finish.

D - Very drinkable. Really great hop profile for an APA. The citrus flavors are nice and strong throughout and have some good complexity. (865 characters)

4.54/5  rDev 0%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. No bottle date, which is the greatest shame that Three Floyds bears. Thanks to kif for sending a couple of these! My wife loves this stuff just as much as I do.

Appearance - Hazy golden body with a small white head. Retention isn't so great, but the lacing is sticky.

Smell - Citrus hops, whoa. Pineapple and floral hops round it out, but it's a citrus fest. Behind it are some grainy malts, but nothing resembling sweetness. Awesome.

Taste - Orange and grapefruit. Grainy malts in the middle, but again no sweetness. Touch of bitterness, but it's very low. Really delicious.

Mouthfeel - This is my only criticism. It's not bitter enough. I know it's not an IPA, but it's so hoppy that I want some of it to translate into bitterness. Totally light and drinkable. I need more.

Overall - Delicious. It's an IPA, really. Who are we kidding? It would be one of the best IPAs, too. The best pale ale by far (sorry, Peeper!). (964 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like it's 1999! (review #).

6.2% and 50IBU? Most brewers would call this an IPA, and I'll review it as such. It's a great IPA.

A: Golden-bronze with a white head, some retention, great lace.

S: A great 'new-school' hop aroma, tangerine, lemon zest, chardonnay-like gooseberry aroma with a hint of cattyness.

T: This is mainly about the hops: Tangerine; lemon rind; piny resin; goosebeery, but there's some underlying quality malt that leaves hints of sponge toffee and biscuit. Solid bitterness, but not harsh. Alcohol sneaks up on you.

M: Well-attenuated, moderate body is fairly smooth with a pleasant hop acidity.

D/O: Like hops?

Big thanks to Rutager! (662 characters)

4.46/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a 3Floyds nonic. Thanks, Tom, for including this as an extra. I have had this a few times, both on draft and bottled. This finally gives me a chance to sit down and review it. No bottling info.

A - Pours an attractive golden amber color with about a finger of marshmallow colored head. Some cloudiness to the body. Great lacing.

S - Fresh dank citrus is the prominent aroma in this beer. Some sweet caramel and buttered biscuit malts linger in the background. Tropical mango and papaya, along with white grapefruit, tangerine, and blood orange all contribute to the excellent odor. It smells alot like Heady Topper and that is an excellent quality.

T - No surprises here as the grapefruit dominates from the start, displaying both tart and bitter characteristics. Sweet malts hit briefly midpalate, but they are soon washed away by a nice bitter pine and spicy citrus bite. There is some balancing bready malt in there somewhere. Phenomenal citrus linger literally leaves my mouth watering for the next sip.

M - Tingly carbonation with a pretty light body. Crisp finish and impressive drinkability.

O - It goes without saying that this is one of the finest APA (or IPA, if you want to make that argument) in all the land. Powerful citrus aromas and a great grapefruit flavor, undoubtedly from all of those citrus hops. If this were available in my area, it would unquestionably be my go-to hop-fix mid-ABV beer (a place currently reserved for Perpetual IPA and Evo Lot No.3 IPA). You don't need me to recommend it to know you shoudl drink this if you can get it. (1,594 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

All I can say is WOW! OK, I guess I can say a bit more. I am wondering how this can be considered a Pale Ale. This is a very hoppy beer for a Pale, which is SPECTACULAR for me. Very citrusy and the carbonation is high which I also like.
The look is very typical for a Pale, which you can't knock it for because a Pale looks like a Pale.
The smell hits the nose BEAUTIFULLY! Loads of citrus.
Wonderful beer, even though I'm not typically a Pale Ale person, this beer satisfies the Hop Head in me!
Love it! (504 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, deep golden-hued body with a full-sized, foamy, near white head.

Smell: A big burst of raw citrus peelings, resins, and snappy floral hop notes atop a modest layering of unsalted crackers and untoasted bread.

Taste: Crackery, bready malt base lightly brushed with a thin coating of sweet simple syrup. Fresh-cut lemon peel, resinous resins, and fresh, inviting floral hop tastes. Plenty bitter, though not heinously bitterness. Drying at the close with some lingering resinous traces.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: A winsome hop character for a very nice APA. (619 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a great, slightly hazy reddish gold, with a smallish head. that reduces nicely, but doesn't dissipate. Some visible carbonation.

Wow. This beer really smell fantastic. Peach and mango are the strongest smells, but there's some pineapple and orange as well. This smells like perfect fruit juice. Sweet, but not unpleasantly so. It's Very pungent, and the smell just comes out in waves.

Taste is great, but doesn't quite live up to the nose for me. It's all the same flavors, but feels as though it's been watered down slightly. There's a nice grainy malt presence as well. Mild bitterness that makes you want to keep drinking. It's hugely drinkable and very tasty, but I wish it was just a bit bigger. This is pretty nitpicky though, as it's still delicious.

Mouth is exactly what I want. not too thick, with a really nice carbonation, it tickles the tongue on the way down.

This is easily my new favorite APA. The nose is definitely the high point for me, but it's really just all around great. Highly recommended. (1,024 characters)

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.