2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,272 | Reviews: 1,050 | Show All Ratings:
kjoe19

3.98/5  rDev -13.9%

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the greatest person to trust the review of. Being new to the beer game I wouldn't fully trust myself either. But I finally had the opportunity to enjoy a bottle of Zombie Dust, which has gained a special mystique in Indiana.

The limited supply and availability make everyone crave this beer, however I agree with Bishop that it is semi-overrated. It is a delicious beer with a cool crisp drink, nice hazy color, and a terrific nose. However, my friend who hates IPA and Pale Ales enjoyed this beer more than myself.

It is delicious with a great taste, nose, and finish, but I would not rank it top 250 either.

04-22-2014 00:00:28 | More by kjoe19
yeahnatenelson

Imbibed at FFF Pub 12/19/2010.

Appearance -- Pours a bright amber hue with a finger of sudsy beige head. Exceptional lacing for an APA.

Smell -- Grapefruit pith, juicy citrus, ripe drupes, and caramel malt. The smell of Citra is unmistakable.

Taste -- Juicy tangerine, apricot, peach, and grapefruit pith stand at attention. A caramel malt backbone lets the citrusy bits sing.

Mouthfeel -- Medium body with milder carbonation. Very smooth, drinks easy.

Drinkability -- A damn tasty APA, though the single-hopping has made it a bit one-dimensional. It all depends on how much one likes Citra hops - great aromatics and fruity flavors, but is somewhat lacking in earthy bitterness to counterbalance the caramel malt sweetness that this varietal is always paired with to make those juicy citrus, apricot, and peach notes sing. All in all, absolutely worth a try.

12-19-2010 23:02:24 | More by yeahnatenelson
AgentZero

A - Light colored beer with a small white head that left some pretty fine lacing behind.

S - Citra hops, there really isn't a whole lot else to say other than that. Smells pretty good though.

T - This is a citra beer, it tastes like what I just learned is citra hops. I like it but it is pretty one dimensional. Zero malt presence.

M - Crisp, light, fairly dry, leaves the mouth a little bit wanting.

D - I found this not the easiest 6.2% to drink. It's pretty good, wouldn't mind it again.

12-31-2010 03:39:56 | More by AgentZero
bobhits

Kentucky

Deep orange color, mercy and dense looking. A one finger white fluffy head, based on the tap pour I think the growler is a touch flatter than the tap version. Very nice lacing is starting to form as well.

Just straight up citrus grape fruit from the second the growler is opened.

Sharp citrus opening, blast of grape fruit with perhaps a bit of lemon zest. The malt here adds weight at the start, but perhaps the least impact I’ve ever noticed. I just can’t describe any flavor from the malt, just the sugary weight of it. At the same time there is a decent amount of weight from the malt the finish is surprisingly watery. Warmer the watery flavor is less noticeable and the malt/hops just linger longer. Still no real complexity.

The mouth feel and the taste go hand in hand. A bit more weight than some of the cleaner IPAs out there, but a surprisingly void of flavor finish leaves me almost thinking I just finished a glass of water. The hops then come back to linger, but this is an odd mix. The carbonation is a touch low, but I think again this is an impact of the growler and not the beer itself.

This would make an amazing 6 pack style regular release IPA for three floyds. It isn’t over powering or overly intense, but it has that wonderful grape fruit kick. I’m torn on this one unlike any beer I’ve had in a while. The flavors are amazing, but they lack the intense notes I want. The finish doesn’t excite me and the carbonation doesn’t add anything helpful.

Since this is called a pale ale, I'm not sure what to say there. In many ways it is more pale ale than IPA but the hops are just so in your face....

05-07-2011 21:24:12 | More by bobhits
tmoneyba

Poured clear copper color with an average frothy white head that lasted with good lacing. Moderate to heavy citrus hop aroma. Moderate bitter flavor with a moderate to heavy bitter finish of medium duration. Medium body with a slick texture and soft carbonation. Very good brew.

07-11-2011 23:29:38 | More by tmoneyba
mentaltraveller

This is a very good beer. It pours nicely, a cloudy orange color with a very fluffy head. It smells floral and strong. This brew has an interesting taste. It is more like an IPA (those looking for a more mellow APA should stay away), but it is quite complex. The flavors accentuate flowers and grapefruit at first, and then finish with a strong IPA-like bitterness. It is a nice balance. The mouthfeel is also very unique. It is almost creamy, like warm milk with slight carbonation, and it somehow works pretty well. A nice job on this one.

10-15-2011 20:34:20 | More by mentaltraveller
ottovon

Arizona

shared by whiterascal.

A: a hazy, golden straw color, with a fluffy white head. you can see bubbles running up the glass.

S: i get straw, grass, pine, and citrus. hints of tangerine and mango. nice mix of malt and hop, but definitely leans towards the hop side.

T: just like the aroma. i get light toasted malt, grass, and then the hops kick in. a good piney, citrusy taste. starts out with just a touch of sweetness, and then it finishes dry and bitter.

M: medium-thin, with medium carb.

O: this is definitely a solid offering. would get this regularly if i could.

10-28-2011 05:25:33 | More by ottovon
cpetrone84

Pours a clear deep golden orange with a light tan head and some large bubbles sitting on top. The nose has a light grain profile, a touch of doughy malt, citric bite and notes of mango. The flavor follows the same path but a bit fruitier and more integrated. The grain and dough malt balance pretty nicely on the assertive fruity hop flavors of citrus and other tropical fruits. The bitterness is assertive but not overpowering on medium body with a clean semi dry finish. Another solid hoppy offering from FFF, if only they could get sugars eaten in their stouts.

11-16-2011 23:21:21 | More by cpetrone84
tsauce2

Indiana

P: 12 fl oz bottle in to a globe glass.

A: SRM is harvest yellow. Head is off white, 1/2 in with normal pour, dissipates to line the rim of the glass. Medium/heavy carbonation. Light lacing.

S: Hops come right off the top, emparting grapefruit/citrus notes.

T: Hops hit perimeter of pallet initially, but much more subdued than the smell suggests. Light malt notes are present on the middle of the palate and creates a balanced overall taste. Aftertaste is slightly bitter hops, but just in the back of the palate.

M: Hop/malt balance along with carbonation and medium/light body give a mf that is very easy and agreeable while still challenging the palate.

O: Very good beer. I did not think that 3F possessed the restraint to so delicately craft a beer like this. Truely an APA, but this is not suggested by the nose. Big hops, but when you drink this beer is balanced and mellow, yet still hoppy. Well done.

11-19-2011 05:22:11 | More by tsauce2
harrymel

Washington

Recent review: 17FEB12, 3/4.5/4/3.5/4 (4)
Okay, I'm gonna give this another fair and balanced review:
Bottled: recently I'm assured
Pours a golden ale with a finger of off white soapy foam that falls to a broken sheet of the same leaving some spotty lace. I am reserved about smelling....Alas, the smell I remember, lemony, citrusy zest and a hint of peach. So nice. Flavor follows suit with just a hint of alcoholic sharpness. Finish is sweet and juicy. Medium on thin with moderate carb and a watering finish. Much better this time around. Gotta say, this beer MUST BE FRESH, so far as I can tell.

Original Review: 11NOV11: 3/1.5/1/2/1 (1.3)
I’ve had this beer out of a growler, and it was one of the best APA’s I’d ever had. Too bad the transition here was flawed....heavily.
Bottled: unk
Pours a yellow straw with foam which falls rather quickly to a mirror of the same. Smells like: citra, grapefruit, citrus, more citrus?...NOT AT ALL!!! This smells like band aids and onions. Wow, god awful. Then the flavor is brutalized as well. Bitter, astringent, nasty. Body is fine beyond my clinching jaw. This beer is ruined for me. WTF happened to this bottle?!

02-18-2012 04:18:27 | More by harrymel
crossovert

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap.

It pours a clear golden with a foamy white head.

Smell is well-hopped with some tropical fruit and citrus and only a small backing of malt.

The flavor continues the citrus and tropical combo. There isn't a huge amount of bitterness as the malts accentuate the hops.

I had 2 to make sure it was up to the hype... it wasn't. The second glass definitely was tastier though for what it is worth.

A great beer, but voraciously overhyped.

03-12-2012 00:21:04 | More by crossovert
TenHornsProud

Colorado

Pours a clear dark orange with a big white, fluffy head that lingers and laces.

Smells of citra hops, some sweetness, maybe honey, and slight astringency.

Taste is citra and amarillo hops up front that goes into a lighter fruit note with just a hint of grapefruit and pine and ends on a bitter and slightly astringent finish. A hint of malt breadiness lingers.

Light to medium body with medium to high carbonation works well.

This is a good, citra forward APA/IPA. Not much else to say.

03-28-2012 23:24:51 | More by TenHornsProud
jaasen64

12oz bottle from 6-pack, poured into Jackie O's snifter. One of my favorite beer bottle labels.

No freshness date on the bottle that I noticed, but should be less then 2 weeks old.

A- Pours a very translucent golden with about a quarter finger of white head. About average carbonation.

S- Hops, sugary malts, slight floral smell.

T- Hops, light berry taste, sugary malts, light sugary and a tiny bit tart berries aftertaste.

M- A little bit on the lighter side, average carbonation, smooth, easy to drink.

O- This was a good beer however I don't think it lives up to it's hype. It tasted good, I just thought it had a little bit too much of a sugary taste and not a ton of flavor for a highly ranked beer. It was very easy to drink and one of the better pale ales I've had, but I definitely wouldn't say it's one of the best beers I've had (one of my least favorites on the top 100 list). That being said I enjoy drinking it, as a beer in a 6-pack it's definitely worth it, but I don't think it is necessarily a must try although I recommend trying it if you get the chance.

05-02-2012 00:31:23 | More by jaasen64
zac16125

South Carolina

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
No born on date but picked up from the brewpub within the last 2 or so weeks.

A big thanks to Hopsmatt for sending this one over in a trade

A: Pours a golden amber with just under 2 fingers width of slightly off white colored head, which takes a good amount of time to dissipate down.  Leaves a fair amount of streaky lacing.

S: Citrusy hops, fairly big pineapple along with lemon.  It also has a big resinous character as well, with juniper notes.  Smells nice but not the citrus presence others have been harping on.

T: Fairly dull flavors initially.  I mostly just get lemon and pine on the backend.  Some resiny notes as well. Improves as it warms.  Pretty tasty, but simple and nothing special.

M/D:  Appropriate carbonation, medium bodied, slightly drying finish, drinkability is good, this could definitely be a session beer.

O: I dont get the hype here.  Its a decent beer, but I am by no means blown away.  I definitely thought Alpha King was better, and to me it remains the standard of the style.  This one was good, but nothing special.  Maybe shipping in the warm weather hurt this one (but I think that may be giving it the benefit of the doubt as I get the majority of my reviewed beers from shipped trades and usually dont notice ill effects).  A fine beer that I would purchase again if it were a local, but not something Id seek out or trade for again.  Glad I got to try it though.

08-13-2012 22:56:07 | More by zac16125
KYGunner

Kentucky

Zombie Dust starts it off right with a bright white fluffy head and a coppery/orange hue. There's an iridescent cloudiness that really impresses.

The most fragrant Pale Ale I've ever experienced, there is a fruity hoppiness but its far more complex than just that. There's citrus scents; orange, mango, tangerine, lemon and melon. There's also some unusual aromas like flowers or perfumes and a touch of pine. The scent is absolutely incredible!

Zombie Dust is very piney on the tongue, like an IPA. There's a hint of honey, which is nice, and onion, which is off-putting. There's an earthy tone, must be the hops, but very little fruit. I can appreciate this for the complex nature in taste but the tastes are not my favorite complexities.

The mouth is smooth and light but a bit metallic in the end.

I like this a lot but hoped the taste mimicked the smell and it never fulfilled that for me.

01-05-2013 22:05:39 | More by KYGunner
phiberoptik

4.03/5  rDev -12.8%

Thanks to deranma for bringing this one back from the brewery.

Pours a bright, clear copper with a nice foamy white head.

Smells of very floral and citrus hops with some wet grain in the middle with almost a skunky, burnt rubber aroma to it. Oddly pleasant from someone who loves a good burnout.

Canned pear, pineapple, floral and citrus notes, mild bitterness, and wet pale malts. The fruit notes come back in the finish.

Light to medium bodied with even carbonation.

I am looking forward to trying this on a different occasion with a clean palate. I would pick up Daisy Cutter before this if they were side by side but this is FFF, so its worth a grab as well.

10-12-2011 00:36:45 | More by phiberoptik
barleyPops

4.03/5  rDev -12.8%

12 oz. bottle from Woodchopper. pours a honey gold with a one finger head, fades to spotty lace. the nose on this one is off the charts, full of orange, mango and apricot. taste is sweet caramel malt with a nice balance of lingering yet mild bitterness. very nice and I’d love to sit down and have 2 or 3 of these, but if I had to choose between this and Alpha King, I’d go with with the King.

11-11-2011 15:04:32 | More by barleyPops
WesM63

12oz bottle poured into a Deschutes tulip

A: Pours a hazy golden amber color with a 1finger white head. Minimal retention and lacing.

S: Citrus! Maybe a hint of pine/resin and some spice, but mostly citrus.

T: Piney/resiny hops up front maybe some sweet caramel malts in the middle with a light citrus finish.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: Not a bad APA. This beer smells great but the taste doesn't line up. I prefer the readily available Alpha King to this. For a Citra bomb, there are better options. Many thanks to Rochefort10nh for the trade.

06-02-2012 19:36:36 | More by WesM63
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev -12.8%

HUGE thanks to Momar42 for the bottle! Unfortunately, it's 6 months old, but beggars can't be choosers...

12 oz bottle poured into a beer mug.

A: Pours an intensely cloudy orange-copper color. The head is a one finger white color with some fantastic retention - it's been about a minute and the head is still there

S: There's no doubt this zombie is but a shadow of its former self, though it has held up well enough to be pretty good. This has a lot of papaya, mango, and honeydew melon, along with a piny brightness. I also detect a very subtle sweetness to it.

T: Extremely good for a six month old pale ale. Most of the bitterness is midpalate; the opening flavors are melony and sweet, while the finish is wonderfully neutral and bready. Nonetheless, this offers a decent melange of tropical fruits. If only it were fresh *sigh*...

M: This feels a LOT lighter than it looks, and goes down with amazing ease. Carbonation is perfect for what this beer is, perhaps a hair too light. The finish is surprisingly wet, likely due to the (un)dead hops.

O: I really like it - but it pains me to review it in this state, given the circumstances. On the plus side, I could really see this being one of my favorite beers EVER fresh, so needless to say, I'll be on the hunt for fresh bottles of this!

11-12-2012 20:50:47 | More by ThisWangsChung
oddb0d

4.03/5  rDev -12.8%

Great beer. I drank it before I knew it was in the top 10 beer list on BA. That being said, I was a little surprised it was as high as it was. I actually would prefer a Sculpin over ZD. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't go out of my way to get more bottles of this beer. Hopefully I will run into it again sometime though.

02-23-2013 00:54:30 | More by oddb0d
Mybeercanbeatupyourbeer

4.03/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

I've had many FFF beers. This beer is very very good. I give it a low over all only because it's very very strong. I'm not big into DIPAs or IPA's in general. If IPA's had a throne, .. this beer would sit on it. but again, it's not for the faint of heart.

01-02-2014 08:31:40 | More by Mybeercanbeatupyourbeer
Jay_Ulreich

4.03/5  rDev -12.8%

Ahhh, Zombie Dust. Reminds me of what Alpha King used to be like before (IMO) they changed it. This is a really great beer, but it still makes me scratch my head how it gets a 100, and is so high up on the top 250.
A-Looks just like any other pale ale, but its got this cloudy haze I enjoy, and the head is super fluffy like it came out the tap.
S- Straight pineapple peach graprfruit yumminess. Havent smelled a beer that smelled this good since Victory Hop Ranch(HR was better IMO) Definition of hop bomb.
T-Wow, this is tasty. Its got flavor enough to make me think its a DIPA, which it definitely isnt. Big pine and citrus flavor. Maybe a lil peach or mango, Its bitter, but I wish it was just a tad more. Very sweet. Zero malt flavor, but then again, Im pretty sure thats the idea.
M-The only place where Id say its lacking. Its appearance and explosion of flavor leave just a bit heavier mouthfeel to be expected.
Overall, its a solid offering, but just like every other 3F beer, it costs too much and is over hyped. Reminds me of Two Hearted, and thats at least 3 bucks cheaper and has more ABV.
Cheers!

03-15-2014 00:59:07 | More by Jay_Ulreich
kojevergas

4.04/5  rDev -12.6%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap (and nice art, for that matter) served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given its current ratings and the hype surrounding it. I believe this is my first purely Three Floyds review - though I did have the Boogoop collaboration. No visible bottled on date.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm slightly over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted pretzels.

Some foam ballooned out when I opened it, but there wasn't any upsurge of beer or anything. It might be a bit overcarbonated.

A: Pours a three finger luscious beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention. Body colour is a hazy copper-gold. Vibrant and appealing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Delightful floral hops and some lemon citrus twang. Grapefruit. Lemongrass, lemon zest. Hints of pine. Pale clean malts. A good balance of floral and citrus hop notes. I'm excited to try it, but the aroma itself isn't blowing me away. A moderate strength aroma, and a pleasant and fresh one.

T: Delightful floral hops throughout, but with an underlying soapy hint (maybe a bit too long spent in primary?). It's a minor issue, but it does distract. Some pleasant grapefruit and lemon citrus esters introduce themselves mid-second act and hang around through the climax. Pale malts provide the clean, unobtrusive foundation - letting the hops take the forefront but also giving a bit of sweetness to hide the hop bitterness. I actually get a bit of alcohol warmth in the stomach - shocking at its mere 6.40%, but I'd consider this a pleasant warming sensation in the winter. Hints of a candi sugar like sweetness beneath the surface. It's very nicely balanced and rather refreshing. Delightfully built. I'm not blown away by its complexity, but it's well put together and succeeds within the style. I get no yeasty notes. A bit too much buttery character on the finish.

Maybe I expect a hoppy character on par with a good IPA, but I have to remember it's a pale ale. It's a masterfully brewed one at that, but I do think there's room for more complexity within the style.

Mf: Chewy, smooth, soft, wet. Carbonation and thickness are ideal. Good presence on the palate. Has enough body to present its flavours. Refreshing. Slightly oily. Even a touch buttery - too much so on the finish.

Dr: Probably its best attribute is its high drinkability. I could down this one all night. Dangerously drinkable. It's a great pale ale - amongst the best I've had - but I have to admit I expected more given the hype. It's not a perfect beer as its current 100 rating might suggest. It doesn't hide its relatively modest ABV all that well, and it doesn't bring the complexity I think a perfect beer in this style would. I'm glad I got to try it and I'd definitely have it again - preferably fresh on draught. I want another already. Wow. I can't wait to try more beers from Three Floyds.

Constructively, I will say that its main flaw is that it uses a buttery quality to hide the hop bitterness on the finish. It works here, but lacks the seamless subtlety of more masterful brews. A great example of the style would integrate its hop bitterness as a positive characteristic. It's tough to do here because this is a pale ale with the hoppiness of an IPA but not enough of a malty backbone. I appreciate the experimentation within the style, but with some work this could be truly amazing.

B+

Best consumed sans food, or perchance with some unsalted pretzels or bread.

Serve cold.

A poor candidate for aging. Drink fresh.

----

Taking some more notes on this having received a bottle from the gracious Duff27 in a trade.

A: Pours a soft appealing frothy head of good cream. Body colour is a vibrant pale copper. Appearance is good for the style, but not special or unique.

Sm: Hoppy and bready, with hop character of juicy citrus, light grassy character, grapefruit, lemon zest, light pine, and heavy floral character. It's a bit murky yet still fresh; maybe it's a bit too grassy. Pleasant. I don't get any yeast or alcohol.

T/Mf: Juicy bursts of refreshing citrus hop notes and nectary character. Ideal crisp pale malt foundation. Smooth and wet. Very refreshing and pleasant to drink - a highlight of the beer. Delightfully well balanced and built, with impressive subtlety for the style. Not as grassy as the aroma. Clean. Good carbonation. It's not biting or sharp. Hop-forward without being too assertive or overbearing; they packed a lot of flavour in here.

Dr: Extremely high. I could easily chug this. Very impressive. I could stick with this all night and never grow tired of it. Quite delightful. This was definitely more fresh than the first bottle I reviewed.

A-

12-03-2012 02:26:38 | More by kojevergas
lochef81

4.04/5  rDev -12.6%

I was so excited when my beer guy produced an under the counter bottle of this highly rated apa. Pours a cloudy orange tan with a slight head that quickly turns to a thick off white lacing that lasts throughout the ale. The nose is deep and malty. Sweet but not bitter with the hoppiness normally found in a pale ale. There is pine and grass notes but not much citrus on the nose. It Sips clean with a pleasant mouth coating effect. Not bitter but not sweet either. Rather balanced and very pleasant. The tongue is malty and rich with a tangy bitterness on the start and an unexpected sweetness on the finish. The balanced flavor lasts long after the ale is gone. The flavors of this ale are astoundingly balanced, almost too much so. It is an incredibly well crafted ale but lacks any notes that make it stand out from the rest. It is a delicious ale that is incredibly satisfying but, even with all the hype, not one that I would go out of my way for again.

01-17-2014 04:56:01 | More by lochef81
cadaugherty

4.05/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a super fresh growler into a pint glass-

Appearance- Rich gold color with a nice 2 finger head. Decent lacing.

Aroma- Pure Citra hops goodness. Loads of citrus jumping out of the glass.

Taste- Fresh hop taste. Not much malt balance here but for me that is okay when the beer is fresh. Honestly reminds me a bit of Surly Wet in this regard.

Mouthfeel- A little thin, but overall pretty avg for a APA.

Drink- I plan on finishing this growler watching the Eagles v Giants game today.

12-19-2010 18:11:41 | More by cadaugherty