Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,477 | Ratings: 9,482
4.67/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A good friend gifted me a bottle of the dust. WOW.
So tasty. Wish I could drink this one straight out the tap.

The citrus and resin was super pleasing, and the finish was incredible.

4.68/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of those brews that I had been in search of for quite awhile and finally got to try it this weekend. It def lived up to the hype. So insanely tasty. Nice golden color but its the flavor that makes this a special brew. Just so nice, super smooth and drinkable. Excellent beer, probably the best Pale Ale I've ever had.

4.9/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Sierra Nevada IPA glass. Bottled on 2-22-16, reviewing on 2-29-16

Look: Bright orange appearance. Pours a good 1 1/2 finger head which leaves some lacing as it diminishes. Produces a mixture of fine and large bubbles with a ton streaming from the bottom. Looks amazing in the glass.

Smell: I can smell the hops from the pour without even putting my nose to the glass. Massive hop and citrus aroma on this beer. Smells almost like an IPA but without the sharp bitterness. More of a refined bitterness to the nose that blends well with a small amount of sweetness.

Taste: Taste is bright hops and citrus rind. Hops are unbelievably balanced with the malt sweetness. While the nose had me thinking it was going to be fairly bitter and IPA-esq, I was surprised to find this beer super hoppy without being bitter. An absolutely fantastic, refreshing tasting Pale Ale with everything you look for on the palate.

Overall: I love this beer. While I was expecting a lot due to the hype around this one I was surprised to still find myself extremely impressed. What really does it for me in this beer is the amount of hops present in the taste and aroma but, the lack of bitterness. It has an intense flavor but remains refreshing and clean. Definitely the best pale ale I've had and look forward to picking this up whenever I can.

4.38/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1-20-16

A - heavy pour into a snifter. Slightly hazy copper colored with creamy white 1 finger head. Nice lacing.

S - very citrus-y. Lots of butterscotch maltiness too. Lots of lemon and slightly grassy. Smells very, very sweet.

T - wow. Very good. Such a great meddling of highs and lows in this. I love how drinkable and not in your face it is. Not getting the sweetness that I expected from the nose, but it's in no way a hopped up bomb either. Just a nice drinking pale ale. Well done.

M - Dear God. Creamiest ipa/apa I've ever had. Almost perplexingly so. Is this nitro'd and I just don't know it?

O - very great. I hate to side with hype but this sucker probably deserves it.

Incredible!
I'm lucky I can get it whenever. It will always be in my fridge.
Taste is refreshing and tart, every time I put in down I pick it right back up to get that taste again!
Hard not to drink fast. Perfect color. Smell is wonderful,tons of citrus!

4.4/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - Hazy in appearance, golden in color
Smell - Lovely aroma of citrus, herbaceous notes, grapefruit, pine
Taste - Follows the nose. Huge herbaceous notes, grapefruit, pine, citrus, dank, pithy

Overall - Been waiting for this one for a while now. Its great but I've had better. And personally don't even think it's 3 Floyds best pale ale. I'd pick Space Station Middle Finger over this any day.

4.69/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 1/25/16 as fresh as it gets here in Delaware. Pine and malts in balance, wow it builds to a resinous finish and the wonderful aftertaste of rich pine.

4.84/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful golden hazy appearance with about 2 fingers of white head. Smells like apricots and hops. This beer is so smooth with a great fruity flavor and a slight bitterness at the end. It coats your mouth leaving you with a juicy hop feeling. At first I thought this beer is good but over-hyped, but once you take a few more drinks you really begin to appreciate this beer and the hype becomes real!

4.23/5  rDev -6.8%

L - Golden, hazy with a thinner than expected white head.

S - Amazingly delicious aroma. Citrus and....cotton candy. Very sweet and tropical.

T - Citrusy on the front end followed by a dry, bitter taste. The hops are the main reason for the bitterness but it felt a little over-carbed.

F - Speaking of, this beer is heavily carbed. Medium body with a lot of bubbles.

Overall - This was my first "hard to find" beer (at least in my mind). Given the hype I was disappointed. This is a very solid pale ale, with a fantastic aroma and good hop flavoring but when you're expecting a mind blowing beer...nope. Put this in a blind lineup with some other good, but not great pale ales/IPAs and I think this might blend in with the rest. Pseudo Sue is my measuring stick for top notch pale ales and this isn't in the same category. Again, a solid pale ale - but not worth the hype.

A-Golden yellow, almost glowing, white head that lingers perfectly
S-Typical west coast type aroma with a pine and Citrus punch and a subtle dankness
M-Carbonation is on the high end and helps to cleanse the palate. Mouthfeel is light to medium
T-Sweet upfront, with a clean bitterness that follows and remains for a little while. It seems like a wonderful coating of hop oils covers your mouth as you enjoy this beer.
O-This is one fantastic beer, it's not so much in the observable characteristics as the 'extras'...like I said it as if the beer coats your taste buds and just makes all your problems go away...for a while anyway

4.61/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Holy grapefruit batman! Heavy on my nose. Fruity taste with a dry finish but so easy to drink. Would love to taste this off of a tap. Great beer. First time.

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was my first beer from 3 Floyds and I was quite impressed. Fantastic pale ale, great blend of hops and malts made this incredible easy to drink. This and Lizard King are my top pale ales for sure.

4.6/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: clear yellow, irregular bubbles hang on surface
S: lush hops, also has a bubblegum aspect after eating a burger and fries
T: piney, resinous hops

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Finally got to try a beer I have wanted for a long time.

Def not disappointed.

Look- crystal clear with small white head. Great lacing on the glass
Smell- this is a pale ale, so I did not expect IPA aroma, but it was damn close. Perfect for style.
Taste- Smooth all around. Great lingering citrus taste. Very sessionable beer.
Feel- Creamy mouthfeel. Really goes down nice and easy.
Overall- Usually not a a big Pale Ale guy, but this one is really exceptional. Could pound 5-6 of these consecutively very easily. Worth the hype

4.71/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains a very nice blend of floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with a nice burst of grassy hops bitterness that is quickly followed by sweet flavors of caramel and citrus. The malt character is a bit on the thin side for the style but it works quite well in this beer and provides an excellent balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is quite clean.

O: Very tasty, goes down extremely easily, not too filling, decent kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent beer to drink for a long time.

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Light haze level on a amber tinged golden body, nice super thick and fluffy head. Aroma is honeydew melon, light grapefruit, some notes of piney resin. Nice bitter bite up front, followed by silky smoothness and a crisp finish with some lingering bitterness. A delightful (I)PA!

4.84/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

If there is a better pale ale, I haven't found it. Fresh zombie dust is the best pale ale I have ever had. closer to an IPA but so ligh that I consider it a session beer.

4.86/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Light orange, yellow color, great clarity. Full 2/5" head, amazing given the amount of citrus hop oils that are evident, this is a lot of citra going on. Amarillo too?

Just the right amount of minor pineapple like flavors and sweetness. Super hoppy and dry and light pale malts. Its a real soft beer without hefty bitterness but tons of hop flavor. Elite 1st tier world class pale ale right here.

4.83/5  rDev +6.4%

This might be the best beer I've ever had. Nice golden brown color, citrus and hoppy aroma. But the taste is incredible. I'd almost describe this beer as "juicy." The more you sip it, the better it tastes and just keeps you come back for more.

4.99/5  rDev +9.9%

As much as I wanted to be skeptical, this beer definitely lives up to the hype. Sometimes I wish people would just get all into a different beer so this would be easier to find. Like countless other reviews have said, this beer is hoppy but also super drinkable. The thing that sets this apart for me is the aftertaste, you get a really good initial flavor followed by the Three Floyds kind of earthy/resin aftertaste. Can't wait to go visit the brewery. One of the best out there. People in the Milwaukee area: I heard sour beers are cool, buy those and leave this on the shelf for me. Thanks in advance.

Took forever to get my hands on 2 bottles and i live in same state and only hour away from brewery. Amazing beer worthe the hunt. Its smells fruity and taste like it but not to much just the right amout with a good hops backbone. Get this beer dont pass it up

Reviewed this two years ago with a 4.75.
Last year with a 4.85.
This year a true 5.0.
Look and mouth feel are wonderful.
Smell and taste is....... Nectar of the gods.
Give it a taste after testing any other brew and
"welcome home" comes to mind.
It's very close to perfect.

3.82/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A:Gold in color, hazy
Clean white foam tight bubbles with peaks when touched.
S: Rich citrus and orange/tangerine flavors slightly floral
T: Very hop forward but allows you to really taste the grain in the brew. Malty yum with amazing cirtrus hops with a decent bitterness.
M: Solid silky feeling, lingering bitterness
O: Beer was enjoyed in a Pint glass, and I must say it didn’t stick around long enough to get warm. Great mouth feel silky deliciousness that I don’t often find in a pale ale often.

4.48/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Golden to copper color medium head

Big nose of orange and mango, sweet fruit

This has really big juicy flavors again leaning to the sweet tropical side.

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have had this a few times and I am finally writing an official review from notes.

L- light golden, bronze.
S- Huge aromas of orange, grapefruit and tangerine.
T- Sweet orange and grapefruit citrus followed by bitterness on a light biscuity malt base, this is one of the best beer to showcase Citra I have ever had (on par with Pseudo Sue)
F- Juicy yet crisp at the same time. Not much residual sweetness left, yet the beer itself taste semi-sweet and juicy. So I guess starts sweet and ends semi-dry (my favorite)
O- This thing is a true gem fresh and the best on tap. This beer has taught me something I hadn't experienced called "anti-hype" it's when a beer that is hard to get gets pooped on by locals because it has hype. To me that is almost worse than hype. I have had people tell me all these other beers are "better" but objectively speaking this beer is one of the best APA's I have ever had and comes close to the best hoppy beer I have had period(.) Very good and worth the high ratings IMO.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.