Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,477 | Ratings: 9,487
3.93/5  rDev -13.4%

L: Initially poured a clear amber, but became cloudy once everything settled. Good sized off-white head with good retention and a lot of lacing.

S: Vibrant, juicy, dominated by citrus, pineapple and mango. Slight muted (in a good way) by pine, malt and hops.

T: Initial gentle bitterness with hops and malt upfront. Finishes more with pine and hops with a long last bitterness. The citrus and mango pops in and out subtly throughout the whole experience.

F: Smooth, medium body that really helps the flavors develop and improving complexity. Carbonation is present, but not overpowering.

O: Very good, but there wasn't anything for me that made it jump out compared to its reputation. I prefer IPAs so that may explain my opinion. Regardless, this was a great and unexpected extra.

4.99/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a tulip glass.

Looks like a slightly hazy yellow pale ale with a decent head and nice lacing.

Smells like a citrus forward beer with hints of hops/pine.

Tastes amazing. Enough punch that you can't tell it's an APA, rivals great IPAs. Citrus forward piney pale, with enough malts to feel like you are drinking something bigger than it is. Incredibly balanced.

Feels like a crisp beer with a nice finish. You can taste the fruit and hops long after.

Overall this is still my favorite beer and I consider myself an IPA drinker. That's how great this beer is. I wish everyone could get this, or at least me, because the beer is amazing, the name is dope, and the artwork is sick. Love zombie dust.

4.58/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Three Floyds pint glass, from the bottle. Color is a light copper/orange, with great lacing throughout. Head was a thick inch of off-white that faded away after a few minutes time. Aroma of tropical fruits paired with citrusy hops. Taste is juicy, and pleasantly non-bitter until the very end. Solid beer, always a pleasure to have one.

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks Tony!

Served in : Tulip/chalice

Pours a beautiful mango-apricot glow, with just enough light penetrating the mostly opaque body to light up the sides in a glorious display. The head starts out thick and solid at 2 fingers, and recedes to about 1/2 finger (or a pinky) within a couple minutes' time. Lace is sparse, not as thick as I'd like APA's or IPA's to be, but still not a bad display.

Aromas of succulent fruits such grapefruit, mandarin orange, pineapple, mango, vinous grape, as well as white raisin and a touch of garlic. Minimal off notes in the nose.

Flavor is thick, juicy, robust, and the bitterness is kept in check and reserved for the very last taste at the back. Flavors include bread crust, white grapefruit, orange pith and juicy flesh, banana bread, and onion skin towards the finish.

Feel coats the palate but not too thickly. It stays for a small visit and then clears off the tongue to invite another sip or three. Carbonation is spot on, there's a nice creaminess to it.

Overall, this is indeed a world class Pale Ale. I highly recommend Zombie Dust if you are not too sensitive to bitter beers and especially if you are fond of pales.

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very floral in smell and taste. Smooth finish. 3/3/16 bottle date so it was super-fresh. Not quite the hop bomb I was expecting but I understand when so many people mention how easy to drink and smooth this brew is. It has virtually no aftertaste or bitterness. Highly recommend. Thanks to @Ercksne from Iowa for the awesome trade!

4.72/5  rDev +4%

L- Hazy amber color. Good lacing.

S- Sharp piny hoppy smell with a hint of lemon.

T- Delicious and refreshing. Well balanced. Slightly dank and piny with hints of citrus. A little bitterness and just enough malt for balance.

F- Light body, dry finish with lingering citrus.

O- One of my favorite beers. I wish I could find it more often.

4.02/5  rDev -11.5%

12oz bottle courtesy of the largesse of @Ri0. My first from 3F, and from the state of Indiana. My second Citra-hopped Midwest pale ale of the day.

This beer was a hazy, orangey amber color, with a big, off-white head that dropped after a few minutes, but left a whole lotta lace on the sides of a Boundary Bay pint glass.

Grapefruity hop nose to this, but not as “juicy” as the PseudoSue I had earlier.

Tasty, grapefruity hops lead the assault on the tastebuds. There’s a little more of a leafy, tea-like bitterness than PseudoSue, and it’s not quite as bright and mango-y, but still very tasty. The finish is a little softer, a little less dry.

Medium bodied, with a slightly creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation seems a tad bit lower than PseudoSue, and the mouthfeel is a little less resiny.

I didn’t plan it this way, but what I’ve wound up doing is a near side-by-side comparison of this beer and PseudoSue. Since there’s no freshness date, it’s possible this is a little older than it’s Iowan rival, but I feel like the latter was brighter, more fruity, and maybe a little more hoppy tasting. This is still a great beer, but based on my experience, I’d pick PseudoSue over this if confronted with the choice. Thanks, Ri0!

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

On tap at Hopleaf.

Clear copper with plenty of lacing throughout the glass. Dank and tropical nose. Medium bodied at best. Tropical citrus and dank weed on the palate. Grapefruit follows and low bitterness. Crisp and crushable. They should make a lot of it and expand distribution. Good stuff but not mind-blowing.

4.26/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this poured into a pint glass. Color was nice, lighter copperish- orange. Flavor was a little lighter than I expected, citrus hops with a short bitter malt aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel. Overall maybe a bit overrated.

4.49/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden, with some cloudiness, and a nice head. The smell is hops. The taste is a very nice, hoppy, malty blend that is pleasant and satisfying. The aftertaste is very pleasant. Overall, one of a handful of great APA's (PseudoSue, Todd The Axeman, Abrasive, Pompeii, Lightspeed)

4.83/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Zombie Dust is the beer to have in the Chicago area. Binny's the largest liquor store hear gets it on a certain day and it is gone within a few hours People wait in line ten fold for it the day it comes in. Some of the Binny's locations only allow you to get one beer, but most let you get only a six pack.

The lacing is rather nice. Smells of citrus hops, lemon, lime, orange. Not bitter for a IPA and well balanced. Pours a orange and smells of and tastes of citrus. I am not IPA fan but I find myself always wanting to have this beer on hand despite it being hard to get. Now have over a case as we went to the brewery yesterday and they were selling it like hotcakes out the door and gone in 1 day. Despite not loving IPA I think that this beer is one of the best beers I have ever had.

On tap at the brewpub. An incredible beer! A very complex flavor, nice color, and very nice aroma. This is my favorite beer from 3 Floyds. Highly recommended!

4.21/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

Very nice hazy orangish color with a thin head atop. Lots of citrusy aromas and light on the hoppiness. Such a great beer to drink during warm occasions! Probably the most refreshing beer I've tried.

4.27/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a hazy yellow orange color with good clarity and vision of tiny bubbles coming up through the glass. Frothy lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Lemony, citrus, herbal, pale, toasted, and biscuity malts.

Taste: Would have liked more hop flavor, but content with the way it tastes. Light bitterness and chewy notes in the rear too.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light bodied, crisp, refreshing, medium carbonation, light light bitterness, and a little chewy.

Overall: Pretty nice APA. Good enough to grab another bottle out of the fridge.

4.89/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a golden amber with streams of bubble ribbons rising to a thick lingering white foam. Cloud-like nebulas float around. It smells of tropical fruit: pineapples and oranges. There's also a fresh-cut grass smell that reminds me of spring, a bit flowery. The taste is refreshing, bursts of juicy citrus along with a creamy sensation reminiscent of piña colada with a piney aftertaste. I try to always have a 6 pack in my Chicago fridge.

4.65/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Sunset color but super cloudy. Lots of sediments and as much activity as I've seen in a brew. Fluffy white head that stays for the ride, especially as this beer is tough to put down.

Some citrus and pine, but not a whole lot in the nose. But the taste - lemons, breadiness, bananas, creaminess. Flavors hits in waves and lingers. Crisp bitter finish, with some noticeable alcohol.

Very solid. Lives up to hype. Easily best Pale ale I've had. Which it were more readily available where I am as I would be a frequent purchaser.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

A little more hype than delicious for me. This beer was very good but not one that I would chase down. More malty than hoppy when I had it and it was less than two weeks old.

4.37/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle.

A: Very hoppy; citrusy, slightly tropical fruit-like hops with light malt sweetness on the finish.

A: Light orange/yellow color, totally clear, with a frothy white head that slowly recedes to a film. Lots of lacing in the glass is evident.

T: Clean, bright citrusy hops with a touch of malt sweetness (less sweet than the nose). While hoppy this beer isn’t particularly bitter.

M: Medium-light body with moderate carbonation

O: Looks smells and tastes like an IPA - very hoppy indeed, but without the bitterness. Clean and easy to drink!

3.97/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I am a huge fan of APA and IPA, usually Citra Hops. I have to say that I do not know what all the fuss is about with Zombie Dust. It's really good, but NOT worth fighting over to get it since it's made in limited supply. A better APA and IPA is Deschutes Fresh Squeezed and my all time fave, Brickstone Hop Skip and I'm Drunk IPA. Much more Citra flavor and aroma.

4.59/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bring-on the zombie apocalypse. This one definitly lived up to the hype for me. May be best Pale Ale I've had? Bottled 2/10, providing a beautiful pour into a snifter. Nose is not as pronounced as others but taste is fantastic. This Citra hopped gem is hitting my c-spot. Straight to the dome with my first ever. Too bad this stuff is so hard to come by.

4.17/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I think the hype really got to me on this one. After having a bunch of really delicious citra beers over the last year or so, this one didn't hit the mark for me as much as I expected.

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a full month after bottling.

Darker color than I was expecting but that is probably due to the age. The smell was like any other good pale ale. Taste was on point and the feel was a little watery tbh.

Would love to try this fresh but even after a month it was very good. I can see why this beer is sought after but to this extent is a little insane.

Good beer though!

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

-Glowing tangerine color, nice bright white head
-Ripe tropical fruits, slight piney aroma, resin
-Citrus and papaya upfront with an underlying sweetness followed by a citrus fruit rind bitterness. Yum
-Medium mouthfeel that coats the tongue momentarily and finishes dry
-This is my first 3 floyds hoppy brew and I have to say I'm impressed. Now time to have a pseudosue

4.43/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours an opaque orange with a white head, with a good deal of lacing left behind. Tropical, citrus, peach, and apricot form a sweet, but well balanced aroma. Sweet tropical citrus opens up with peach and apricot notes falling in behind. Well balanced, with a little bit of a bitter, piney hop bite at the end. Mouth feel is smooth and mouth coating. Overall, a fantastic pale ale. Very well balanced, with good fruit aromas and flavors.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer has you wanting more and more. Have been drinking this for a couple years now and is always found in my fridge. The ultimate go-to pale ale. Superb!!

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.