Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Wants: 3,275
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros

XmnwildX12, Dec 13, 2013

beernads, Feb 08, 2013
4.04/5  rDev -12.6%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap (and nice art, for that matter) served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given its current ratings and the hype surrounding it. I believe this is my first purely Three Floyds review - though I did have the Boogoop collaboration. No visible bottled on date.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm slightly over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted pretzels.

Some foam ballooned out when I opened it, but there wasn't any upsurge of beer or anything. It might be a bit overcarbonated.

A: Pours a three finger luscious beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention. Body colour is a hazy copper-gold. Vibrant and appealing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Delightful floral hops and some lemon citrus twang. Grapefruit. Lemongrass, lemon zest. Hints of pine. Pale clean malts. A good balance of floral and citrus hop notes. I'm excited to try it, but the aroma itself isn't blowing me away. A moderate strength aroma, and a pleasant and fresh one.

T: Delightful floral hops throughout, but with an underlying soapy hint (maybe a bit too long spent in primary?). It's a minor issue, but it does distract. Some pleasant grapefruit and lemon citrus esters introduce themselves mid-second act and hang around through the climax. Pale malts provide the clean, unobtrusive foundation - letting the hops take the forefront but also giving a bit of sweetness to hide the hop bitterness. I actually get a bit of alcohol warmth in the stomach - shocking at its mere 6.40%, but I'd consider this a pleasant warming sensation in the winter. Hints of a candi sugar like sweetness beneath the surface. It's very nicely balanced and rather refreshing. Delightfully built. I'm not blown away by its complexity, but it's well put together and succeeds within the style. I get no yeasty notes. A bit too much buttery character on the finish.

Maybe I expect a hoppy character on par with a good IPA, but I have to remember it's a pale ale. It's a masterfully brewed one at that, but I do think there's room for more complexity within the style.

Mf: Chewy, smooth, soft, wet. Carbonation and thickness are ideal. Good presence on the palate. Has enough body to present its flavours. Refreshing. Slightly oily. Even a touch buttery - too much so on the finish.

Dr: Probably its best attribute is its high drinkability. I could down this one all night. Dangerously drinkable. It's a great pale ale - amongst the best I've had - but I have to admit I expected more given the hype. It's not a perfect beer as its current 100 rating might suggest. It doesn't hide its relatively modest ABV all that well, and it doesn't bring the complexity I think a perfect beer in this style would. I'm glad I got to try it and I'd definitely have it again - preferably fresh on draught. I want another already. Wow. I can't wait to try more beers from Three Floyds.

Constructively, I will say that its main flaw is that it uses a buttery quality to hide the hop bitterness on the finish. It works here, but lacks the seamless subtlety of more masterful brews. A great example of the style would integrate its hop bitterness as a positive characteristic. It's tough to do here because this is a pale ale with the hoppiness of an IPA but not enough of a malty backbone. I appreciate the experimentation within the style, but with some work this could be truly amazing.

B+

Best consumed sans food, or perchance with some unsalted pretzels or bread.

Serve cold.

A poor candidate for aging. Drink fresh.

----

Taking some more notes on this having received a bottle from the gracious Duff27 in a trade.

A: Pours a soft appealing frothy head of good cream. Body colour is a vibrant pale copper. Appearance is good for the style, but not special or unique.

Sm: Hoppy and bready, with hop character of juicy citrus, light grassy character, grapefruit, lemon zest, light pine, and heavy floral character. It's a bit murky yet still fresh; maybe it's a bit too grassy. Pleasant. I don't get any yeast or alcohol.

T/Mf: Juicy bursts of refreshing citrus hop notes and nectary character. Ideal crisp pale malt foundation. Smooth and wet. Very refreshing and pleasant to drink - a highlight of the beer. Delightfully well balanced and built, with impressive subtlety for the style. Not as grassy as the aroma. Clean. Good carbonation. It's not biting or sharp. Hop-forward without being too assertive or overbearing; they packed a lot of flavour in here.

Dr: Extremely high. I could easily chug this. Very impressive. I could stick with this all night and never grow tired of it. Quite delightful. This was definitely more fresh than the first bottle I reviewed.

A-

kojevergas, Dec 03, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -8%

oriolesfan4, Nov 05, 2012

imperialking, Nov 17, 2011

InspectorBob, Sep 27, 2012

corby112, Dec 05, 2011
4.53/5  rDev -1.9%

My utmost thanks to my local trader, tone 77, for somehow scoring an ADDITIONAL bottle to pass on to me! My jaw hit the floor when I began going through his latest goodie bag and if he needs references, hopefully mine will suffice.

There was no gushing when I removed the cap, but there was a finger of thick, tawny head by the time that I finished with the pour. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was rich with citrus - grapefruit and orange in abundance. Mouthfeel was medium to full with a citrus intensity on the tongue that killed off all of the weak taste buds that got in its way. I felt like the fellow in the old Maxell tape commercial - blown back in my seat by the intensity of the experience. The finish was literally breathtaking - I really felt as though my breath had been taken away for a second or two after the swallow. The next thing to hit was the intensity of its dryness as I tried to catch my breath. The hops were toying with me to see if I measured up and I was doing my best to rise to the challenge. I suppose that my loss means that I will be transformed into a zombie at some point, but if a transformation must take place, better in my mind to be a zombie this way than a Cyberperson via a Minhas product.

woodychandler, Jun 23, 2012

weeare138, Dec 01, 2013
4.18/5  rDev -9.5%

12 oz bottle, bottled 1/29/12, thanks to hurfer for sending!

Pours a chilled golden orange with a slow stream of carbonation supporting an initially thick cream head. Fades to a thin layer with extensive sheets of lacing. Aroma is green, fresh and raw. Citrus rind, grapefruit pulp, mild pine, and light caramel malt. Not quite as aromatic as some of the HF APAs, but very well balanced and nuanced. Medium thick, chewy body with moderate carbonation and a slightly wet, thin finish. Strong biscuit malt and earthy body with resiny and pulpy citrus hops buttering the finish. An exceptional, citrusy APA, but a little too much alcohol presence for the style and not quite Hoppy Birthday or Edward. Regardless, I will seek this out every time it is released.

yourefragile, Feb 04, 2012
4.58/5  rDev -0.9%

Big thanks to Deuane for picking me up a growler of this one during his recent trip through the brewpub.

A - Pours slightly hazed golden orange with a nice one finger tall white head leaving

S - HUGE amounts of grapefruit throughout this one. Tons of oily citra hops dominate the nose with a bit of lightly toasted sweet caramel malt hiding in the shadows. The second we cracked this growler I could smell it from across the room.

T - Starts off with a huge, oily, citric hop bite quickly giving way to a mix of strong tropical fruits like grapefruits, pineapple, and oranges. Once the hop resins die down you get a bit of the chewy, lightly toasted, caramel malt but this one really is all about the hops. The alcohol is nearly undetectable, only coming through at the very end of each glass. The finish is a mix of citric hop oils and some light chewiness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium-Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Lots of hop oils and some light chewiness in the feel, lingering through the finish. Even with all these hops it remains quite light.

O - Well that growler disappeared pretty damn quick. I could drink this one all day, every day, it is that good. The citra hops are the perfect choice for this beer and this is easily one of the best hop-forward pale ales I have ever had.

orangesol, Aug 18, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Poured a nice golden orange color with a beautil off white cap leaving a lot of lacing and bubbles

S: Fresh. A bit of caramel, orange peel, grapefruit, light passion fruit

T: Orange peel, grapefruit, light pineapple, caramel. Has a very smooth taste which fades into a light dryness and hop bite

M: Nice smooth texture, loads of flavor. Light body and booze

O: Very tasty and extremely drinkable. Outstanding.

barleywinefiend, Oct 06, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

12 ounce bottle, from a freshie case purchased at the brewery about one week ago.

Pours a hazed, dull tone of medium amber. Staying khaki cap, frothy and on the looser side. Leaves low sheeting, blobs and strands of lace.

Yummy tropical fruit nose, with ripe melon and mango.

Fine quality and great testing brew from FFF. Tropical fruit notes continue all the way to the finish. Smooth and so flavorful. Hops hops and more hops but they are not overly bitter or resinous. Fruity and again tropical notes come to mind.

World class APA, glad to have been able to enjoy a few pints of this on tap at the brewery with dinner and then walk away with a case to bring home.

Billolick, Aug 14, 2013
4.43/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz bottle into a FFF pint. The brew pours a clear orange with slight off-white cap. Rising bubbles of carbonation maintain a thin layering atop. A swirl revives a half finger of almost tan coloration.

The smell is juicy with hops. Rindy with fruits and a floral component giving way to fresh herbs. It is tangy with a soft touch of alcohol across the nose. Overall a very fresh, enjoyable smelling brew.

The taste is juicy with hops. Floral, fruity and herbal with rindy and zesty bitterness leaning towards grassy but not quite. An accenting fruity alcohol touch and an undertone of toasty malt provides enough sweetness to really make the hops pop. There is no joke here, this brew is all about the hops. I love how flavorful this brew is without the bitterness getting overdone.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. It is crisp and very easy drinking. If made readily available to me, I would drink this regularly and in excessive quantities.

stakem, May 16, 2012
4.59/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Pours a hazy golden orange in color with light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some apricot + bright orange highlights. The beer has a two finger tall fluffy cloudy off-white head that reduces to a medium sized half finger tall dense foamy cap with a thin film covering the majority of the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of toasted and caramel malts underneath much more intense aromas of citrus/grapefruit/orange, tropical/mango, and pine hops.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted and caramel malts that impart a light to moderate amount of sweetness. The malt flavors are followed up by even more intense hop flavors than were present in the smell - there is a significant amount of citrus/grapefruit and citrus/orange followed by moderate amounts of tropical/mango and finally a light to moderate amount of pine. Moderate amounts of bitterness in the finish which lingers slightly.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp upfront and slightly dry in the finish.

O: This is an extremely enjoyable beer with wonderful flavors and aromas from the hops - I really enjoy the combination of the citrus and tropical hops with just a touch of pine. I found the beer to be quite easy to drink and extremely enjoyable. I would drink this beer all the time if only I had easy access to it.

dbrauneis, Jun 19, 2013
4.55/5  rDev -1.5%

My sister-in-law was nice enough to bring me a few of these (fresh) from Chicago. I've always been a fan of Three Floyds, and I was happy to finally try this- it did not disappoint. Beautiful beer, with a burnished gold color contrasted with a stark white head that leaves some decent lacing. Citrus and herbal aromas with a touch of grain. Clean and fresh smelling. The taste is where it's at. Clean citrus and a touch of clean sweet malt. Candied grapefruit peel followed by a long spicy hop finish. All very pleasant and quaffable. I'd drink this all the time if I had access to it.

Georgiabeer, Apr 16, 2014

drewone, May 14, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to Foofaa for this 12 oz bottle (and its 5 sisters). In a tumbler.

A: The pale ale is an amber color, plentiful with orange and brown hues defining it. Transparent with a slight haze. The head is white and luxurious, coating the sides of the glass with lace.

S: The aromas are juicy but restrained, never losing sight of the pale ale base. That base is caramel and lightly toasted biscuit. The hops though, hold their own and then some. The citra drips with citrus and orange zest, ample bitterness running on par with the malts. Excellent smells here.

T: The balance is the great thing about this ale, neither hops nor malts get the upper hand. The malts are light - bready with caramel richness. The hops - and there is where I want to spend time, are delicious. The orange and citrus flavors are strong, intense even within the balanced confines of the ale. When cold, the malts are bigger. Only when the ale warms do the hops shine through - wait for that part of the ale. A top notch pale ale.

M: Clean and hoppy, with an emphasis on the hoppiness. Orange zest and bold citrus standing out against the surprising malt side. I'm afraid that I'll finish off this six pack one one fell swoop.

akorsak, May 20, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -6.3%

(Served in a stemmed pint glass)

A- This beer pours a hazy golden yellow body with a thick creamy beige head that last for a good bit. There is a gentle carbonation of big bubbles gliding to the surface.

S- The full green hops have aromas of white grape juice and cat pee with a fruity pine finish.

T- The smooth full hop flavor changes as the beer opens up. It starts with tropical fruit flavors and blends into white grape juice and pine with a mellow pungent flavor at the finish and just a touch of bitterness that lingers after each sip.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with no alcohol heat noticed.

O- This is a full flavored hop monster with a soft bitterness but even for this big beer it is very sessionable. The depth and character of the hops really work together wonderfully.

rhoadsrage, Jun 14, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -4.8%

Received from adamdd. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No date on the bottle that I could notice, but sure tasted fresh.

Golden yellow/orange color and pours with a little amount of head.

Smells of hops with some citrus. Taste was delicious, but really...nice and clean, not overly hoppy or bitter which I though was great. Beer was well balanced.

Overall looking forward to tracking down more of this beer.

duceswild, May 05, 2012
4.15/5  rDev -10.2%

Some things arrive in the darnest of places. In truth, I already knew that there were a few bottles of Zombie Dust at the apartment I was staying at in São Paulo, so I wasn't too shocked. A big thanks to Sergio (srbcurti) for sharing one of the bottles. On to the beer:

Brilliant orange color that lights up the room, topped by small puff of head. The nose is a beauty, no question. Bitter grapefruit starts off the show, then generous doses of mango and tangerine arrive with a thin coat of sugar coating.

Zombie Dust is like running water through hops. It's quite bitter for an APA. White grapefruit starts it off. Bitter citrus, pineapple, and a dose of resin compliment the profile. The bitterness does tail off some, while makes it slighty more "juicy". It's medium bodied, with avery pleasant "bubbly" sensation, NOT like a champagne however, a different type.

An intense hop experience. It is good, but not great as expectations led me to believe. I like my pale ales just a little more balanced than this. But it sure was fun to try!

DoubleJ, Mar 02, 2012
4.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Huge thanks to Chris for this one.

Pours a finger of white head with decent retention leaving a bit of lace. Color is a slightly hazed golden orange.

Aroma: Fresh, dank, and fruity. Floral with grapefruit and pineapple flavors. Some other citrus flavors mix in there.

Taste: Very fruity and very hoppy. Floral and piney. Grapefruit, pineapple, and lemon citrus. No malts show.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but clean. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends a little sticky and hop resiny.

Overall, this was a great APA. Very drinkble and very fresh. I opened this up and knew I would enjoy it. This stuff is legit. Get some of this now.

mothman, Oct 06, 2011

ejimhof, Nov 02, 2012
4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

BARFLYB, Mar 24, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours slightly hazy golden orange color with a nice 2 finger off white head with nice retention that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Some decent lacing on the glass. Aromas of huge mango, pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, light pine, floral, herbal spiciness, and apricot. Fantastic aromas here as expected from one of my favorite hops. Taste of big pine, pineapple, mango, tangerine, grapefruit, and herbal spiciness. Nice amount of spicy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, pine, herbal, and tropical fruit for a bit. Great malt balance makes this extremely drinkable. Medium carbonation and body; with a nice slightly creamy and very smooth mouthfeel. No alcohol noticed at all in the taste or finish. Overall this is an mind blowing pale ale. Tons of great hop flavor and balance. You would think this was an IPA.

superspak, Mar 14, 2012