2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Zombie DustZombie Dust

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

This intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be one's only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry. Art by Tim Seeley.

(Beer added by: hansgruber on 12-09-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zombie Dust Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,270 | Reviews: 1,050 | Show All Ratings:
Thingus

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

Live tasting 12 oz. bottle into Delirium tulip, bottle thanks to Peacehammer (see ya Thursday!)

Appearance; pours a lovely slightly hazy light orange/amber color with a finger of slightly bubbly pale straw colored head. Retention is good, and the head falls after a few minutes. Lacing is great with a ton of lace clinging in sheets to the sides of the glass.

Smell; holy grapefruit Batman!!! Zombie Dust features grapefruit by the ton, notes of pineapple and hints of resinous pine weave in and out.

Taste; wave upon wave of grapefruit upon grapefruit washes over my tongue. As with the smell, pineapple and resins are beautifully interwoven with the grapefruit. Slight notes of orange and lemon rinds also appear.

Mouthfeel; a medium bodied beer, with just enough carbonation to compliment the feel of the brew. Might be a tad on the lighter side for this style but I'm sure not gonna complain about that.

Overall; WOW. An outstanding pale (PALE?!?!) ale that I would definitely stack up against any standard IPA, and quite a few DIPA's. There really isn't anything pale about this brew. Bravo FFF, this beer is incredible, drinkable every day without getting boring, but awesome enough to be a special occasion brew. I will absolutely seek this beer out again, and highly recommend that you do as well.

03-05-2012 04:54:42 | More by Thingus
anteater

Oregon

4.7/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Clear golden, medium foamy head

S: Citrus hops, lots of lemon and orange. Not a huge punch in the face of hop aroma that you might be used to from other highly rated hoppy beers but very pleasant nonetheless.

T: Wow. The essence of citra hops displayed in near perfection. Incredibly well rounded, extremely mellow. Orange and lemon up front, clean bitterness to finish it off. Absolutely delicious.

M: This stuff goes down way to easy, it is light bodied with perfect carbonation. Unbelievable drinkability.

O: Certainly the best "pale ale" I've had if you believe that it actually is one.

05-11-2013 03:23:50 | More by anteater
beenitty

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

Got a few pints at Pony Bar NYC, thank god somehow they can get FFF kegs or else I this wouldnt be possible.

Only drawback 8oz pours at this bar, wrong glassware?

A- Pours hazy golden yellow with white fluffy head that just sits there and doesn't move. Awsome. Great retention and lacing that sticks to the glass. One of the few "5" appearances I've seen
especially for this style.

S- Smells like APA keeping IPA hostage. I can get the fruit notes, floral and piney hops a bit but its very muted. I can tell they'res something there but not overpowering, possibly result of glassware.

T- Damn. Poof. Pow. Insert adjective here. I wish every APA tasted like this. Citrus up front, with nice fruit notes pineapple, mango as well. Good balance. The unfiltered character comes through in the finish, hence the dust.

M - Slightly leans away from lighter body, which is good for me. Slight bitter finish that lingers just long enough to be appealing and leave you wanting more.

D - I downed 2X 8oz pours in about 10 minutes. Could probably down a growler with no issues here.

Definitely best APA I've ever had. Tie for best FFF brew with Arctic Panzer Wolf. If they had this as their flagship APA I think they'd be more famous than they already are, get yourself some bottles of this stuff.

07-09-2011 11:22:25 | More by beenitty
Casedogg43

Indiana

My Updated review gives Zombie Dust a 5.5.
It ain't going down in score I promise that! Cheers!

Can I give a10 out of 5 for the smell of Zombie Dust!
This I'd the most addictive smelling brew I've ever had the pleasure of drinking! ( over and over).

Color is just as it should be, nice head, smooth lines while drinking.

You can smell this beer from 5 feet away, and the smell is Citrus heaven.

Very flavorful, sharp grapefruit, oranges and hops. But not the smack down of sweetness you'd expect.
Finish is smooth as silk and begs you to buy some to take home!
Best overall tasting APA I've ever had!

Thank god for Indiana craft beers!!!

02-07-2013 03:41:25 | More by Casedogg43
RoninTK3

New Hampshire

4.8/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Transparent gold with quite a bit of head that subsided and left some nice lacing.

S - Very fruity and very hoppy. Grapefruit and tangerine.

T - Awesome. Not as hoppy as it smells. Fruity hops with a strong tangerine flavor and hints of other citrus fruits. Hops and ABV are very well balanced with malts. This is a complex beer.

M - Smooth, medium body with quite a bit of carbonation. This is a very drinkable beer. Almost too drinkable.

This is one of the most balanced, complex pale ales I've ever had. The hop presence is certainly there, but it's well balanced with the citrus flavors and malt.

01-07-2013 02:04:11 | More by RoninTK3
sbxx

4.61/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Fresh bottles straight from the FFF brewpub.

Appearance - Pours a slightly hazy golden amber. First thing I thought of was the amber from Jurassic Park that trapped the mosquito with dinosaur DNA. 3 fingers of head vanish and leave some beautiful lacing. Very inviting.

Smell - Citrus hoppy goodness blasts your sinuses. Love this smell.

Taste - Grapefruit, pineapple, orange peel, slight bits of tangerine. Bready backbone. Bold, hoppy aftertaste. Best tasting beer burps ever.

Mouthfeel - Medium. Nice carbonation. Finishes clean and wet.

Overall - A great, flavorful beer that must be consumed in moderation. I wish I could call it a session beer but it simply isn't. 2-3 of them and I'm flying high... And my tolerance is NOT low! Just a phenomenal pale ale. I challenge anyone to find me a better one.

02-20-2013 11:27:19 | More by sbxx
Bowers-Brew

4.78/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Very nice warm body. Head doesn't stay around for long, but the bottle was served a little below optimum temp when poured.

S - Possibly the best smelling hoppy beer I've had. (Including Pliny and several other world class beers) Serious amounts of hop aroma, both citrus and pine. Nice malty finish. Sweet and super appealing to the nostrils.

T - Taste fell ever so slightly below smell, but still near perfect.

M - Again, a little less carbonation than I thought it should have, but could be my glass, pour, or temp effecting it.

O - So glad to have a beer this fantastic in the Midwest. Russian River may make the best IIPA, but this APA is a very serious competitor for greatness. I hope to have plenty of this beer on hand for the Zombie Apocalypse... Prost!

12-13-2013 23:35:17 | More by Bowers-Brew
JohnParadee

Delaware

4.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into chilled pint shaker glass. Orange amber color, but not as cloudy as I might have expected. Thin white head, which dissipated to thin collar and lots of tiny bubbles. Excellent sticky lacing throughout, all the way down. Beautiful nose of floral citrus and mango grapefruit. On the palate, the nose is replicated, but a dank piney hint emerges. Great malts, good balance. Big chewy mouthfeel. Nice long finish. Reminds me of cross b/t Sucks & Hopslam, which sounds like the definition of heaven to me.

02-09-2014 04:29:07 | More by JohnParadee
2beerdogs

3.1/5  rDev -32.9%

I have really enjoyed the Floyd's work before, but after trying ZD a few times I gotta say: I don't get the hype on this one.

The appearance is nice, amber meets straw in color.

The nose is pleasant enough, almost a lighter, yet similar, nose to Kern River Citra.

The taste is interesting, but not overwhelmingly appealing. The hops clean your tongue a little in the beginning, and it's okay in the middle, but this is where you start to get that hint of wood. Yes, wood. And it really comes through in the finish. To me, it's not a great addition to this beer. And it's not a piney or citrusy flavor. It's kinda generic---wood. I have it 3 times, albeit always from a bottle. Maybe on tap would be different.

I'm not writing ZD off. And I'm not hating on them. In fact, if offered I will try again. I'm not scared off of this one, just a little perplexed by the hype.

05-17-2012 22:03:06 | More by 2beerdogs
chuckd123

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev -4.1%

Never had on tap but have had many bottles of this, and it is a truly spectacular beer. Fantastic aroma and hop profile, I am in the minority but as a huge VT beer fan, this one is in a league with Heady, anything from HF and Lawson's. Appearance is as to be expected, an orange-y color, nice fluffy head and lacing that lasts and lasts. I could breathe this stuff in all night if it wasn't also so tasty -- a spectacular smell and taste, and worth trying if you can.

03-06-2013 00:55:06 | More by chuckd123
robboyd

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

It's hard to say anything bad about this beer. I think it's world class in almost every way. When I think about a beer I could drink everyday, this is it. It pours a golden, near orange color with delicate carbonation bubbles and a sufficient head. The aroma is intoxicating, due to grapefruit and other citrus notes rather than alcohol.

The taste has just the right amount of everything. It's hoppy enough to let you know care went into the hop profile yet sweet and slightly earthy at the same time. The citrus from the nose doesn't betray the palate. I wouldn't call it rich but rather drinkable. I could certainly make a six pack enjoyably last through a full sunday of football. I haven't had many APAs and maybe this is setting the bar high but the balance is exactly what I wish I found in more IPAs.

10-13-2011 01:53:02 | More by robboyd
Trifecta1

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

What can I say that hasn't already been said? FFF has worked some magic into this one. Had both on-tap, fresh at the Brewpub, on-tap in cold fall air-chilled kegs during Dark Lord Day, and ~50 bottles. Same story from all of them.
Appearance is a light bronze/honey color with plenty of carbonation and a creamy-looking head. The smell is of grapefruits and oranges, and the infamous Citra hop, the only hop this brew is made with, refreshing. Taste follows the nose. Absolutely refreshing, clean, crisp, citrus fruit taste, with more pineapple, orange, and an alcohol sweetness coming into play as it warms. Clean, smooth, almost milky mouthfeel, plenty of carbonation keeps it light and highly drinkable. The hype is real on this, and in my opinion, it truly is the best APA on the market. Just swung by the brewery again to pick up another case of 24. Too good to pass up.

10-23-2012 01:02:19 | More by Trifecta1
OTB

Recieved in a trade with Chicago John, thanks buddy for the ample stash of ZD. After reading so much love for ZD I am stoked to finally sit down and sip a few. Poured into a tulip. Maybe the best looking brew I have seen, sunset orange with super thick sticky two finger bright white head that clings to the glass leaving beautiful lacing. The nose, maybe as good or better than Kerns Citra, I can just happily sit here and smell this for hours, tropically dense from the Citra, amazing. The flavor profile is citrusy, sweet, balanced, and a tad bitter from the 60 IBU, perfect.The mouth is crisp, clean, and medium weighted, perfect for this holiday weekend at the shore. If there is perfection then ZD is it, the best APA I have ever had. Sadly not available on the west coast, happily sitting with two six packs to enjoy over the next couple weeks. Bravo 3 Floyds, the hype is more than justified.

05-27-2012 23:15:52 | More by OTB
Roose13

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Thank you, myersk27!

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: A very golden, clear color. The head is a light tan, which pours thick and lessens to a lingering half-inch.

S: As I was pouring it the smell hit me in the face. Lemon grass, citrus, and some tropical fruit notes including some definite pineapple.

T: Lemon, grapefruit, pineapple. Pretty bitter, which forces me to sip it. Prefer it that way because I want to savor it.

M: Light, mildly carbonated.

Overall: This was well worth the hype. Had a friend ship me two bottles and he advised I drink them quick. The citrus hops are awesome and this beer really makes me wish I could just go to Indiana and taste it off tap.

11-21-2012 01:02:07 | More by Roose13
Qbdoo

4.98/5  rDev +7.8%

The taste, smell and appearance of this beer is just astounding. The bright, somewhat burnt orange look, the explosive citrus aroma, and the taste that combines the same citrus quality with the perfect malt undertone - just amazing. And so drinkable. I don't get a hold of this often, so I sometimes find myself almost disbelieving my memory of it. But I got a sixer the other night, poured myself one, took a sip, and thought: yep, just as good as you remembered. Then my wife took a sip. "That's amazing," she said. She took another: "That's the best beer in the world!" In my limited experience, I think she's right.

09-01-2013 16:00:00 | More by Qbdoo
fvernon

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Served on tap into a pint glass.

A: a slightly cloudy golden brown (think golden teddy grahams) with a thick - and I mean THICK - creamy white head, about 1/2 an inch thick, and it is staying. the head's not going anywhere. even more, it looks slightly bulbous as if there is yeast still eating away... needless to say, it is both amusing and slightly unsettling.

S: clean hops of a candied grapefruit variety, a mixture of sweet and bitter.

T: delicious. this is delicious. the hops are front and center, similar to the smell - candied grapefruit fading into a taste I can't quite place... it is something from my childhood, maybe a flavor in fruitloops? the taste is very clean with a slightly mellow edge, i could down quite a few of these.

M: only a bit residual, this beer has a clean but not exactly crisp quality to it that lets me feel as if i am simultaneously drinking a strong APA and working through a slight malt body.

Overall I am in love - this may be a new go-to on hot days, and certainly is a step above Alpha King. blasphemous? go try it out. i can't wait for the bottles to appear!

09-13-2011 02:22:22 | More by fvernon
WolfsbaneBloom

4.78/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Pours a semi-hazy glowing golden orange with three fingers of rocky cream colored foam.

Smell: Big juicy tropical fruit comes wafting out of the bottle. A pungent medley of pineapple, guava, mango, tangerine, and orange marmalade. There's also a touch of honey, a hint of peppery spice, some light floral notes and faint strawberry. I could smell this perfectly fine standing a good two feet from the glass. Easily one of the top 3 best smelling beers I've ever had.

Taste: Pulpy grapefruit, tangerine, sticky pine sap, and raw honey with a lightly toasted, nutty finish. Incredibly smooth with a nice hop bite.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied and well carbonated with a slick mouthfeel from the abundant hop oils. Crisp and tingly on the tongue with a semi-dry finish.

Overall, its easy to see why this wicked pale ale is always in such high demand. Currently at #7 in Beeradvocate's Top 250 Beers, this is truly a marvel. A big, bold, flavorful pale ale gushing with pungent fruity hops. It manages to be complex yet extremely smooth and well-balanced. There's really nothing I would change about this beer. It may technically be labeled an American pale ale, but for me it is the quintessential IPA. It also has one of the best names and label art of any craft beer out there. A beauty to behold.

01-10-2013 00:45:34 | More by WolfsbaneBloom
hopoilcrazy

Tennessee

4.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've had Zombie Dust many times, but never reviewed because it doesn't need any more praise, but....

A - Awesome hazy orangish gold. Awesome puffy light head that stays around and punches lacing into the pint glass.

S - Lemon pith, orange juice, citrus everywhere. Very light malty toast notes

T - Not very balanced, but awesome nonetheless! It definitely showcases the Citra hops well. Barely toasted bread, orange pith, pomelo, aspirin big time, almost a sort of implied saltiness.

M - Nice and light. Perfect timing that I got this at the start of summer in TN

I love this beer so much that even though I can tell the certain batch I am drinking now is not the freshest, it still does the trick!

05-16-2013 06:11:22 | More by hopoilcrazy
ktblue22

Vermont

4.8/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow, this beer definitely lives up to its hype!!

Thank you Omensetter for the quick sending, as well as the freshness promised!!

Appearance - an almost aggressively robust 2 inch head on the pour! Straw in color with a slight haze.

Smell - A lot going on in the nose - I'm getting tropical fruit and almost a peanuty-ness? Very interesting

Taste - doesn't disappoint...the nuttyness comes through again although its framed with clear and crisp citrus

Mouthfeel - really well balanced, well carbonated and goes down real well

Overalll- really really impressed with this beer. Wish I could drink it all the time!!

05-19-2013 07:18:12 | More by ktblue22
jbwimer

4.41/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The last of a sixer from Cfan67, bottled 12 days ago. Cue tears.

A- Aggressive pour into at tulip glass resulted in a thick, ivory head with pretty good retention. Lacing on the glass as it dies. Wonderful golden orange color.

S- Sweet, juicy fruits. Floral notes. Ctirus fruits. Very, very faint pine. Lovely bouqet on this beer. Excellent balance and very smooth

T- Follows the nose quite well, though not as good. Still, thoroughly enjoyable. Same juicy fruits. Dry on the finish. Hop bitterness is the caboose to the juicy citrus flavors. Best pale ale I've tasted to date.

M- Light mouthfeel with a pretty good amount of carbonation. As mentioned above, very dry on the finish. Hop oils linger after quaffing.

I enjoyed getting dusted. Gonna have to trade for some more soon. A phenomenal representation of the style. CONSUME FRESH.

12-22-2013 20:30:37 | More by jbwimer
phisigben

Kentucky

4.72/5  rDev +2.2%

It looks good with a nice light orange color it also has a finger width of head that clings to the sides of the glass. The smell is fantastic huge piney notes with citrus. The taste is fantastic it has great bitterness for the style more than I expected. The pine and citrus carries right through the nose to the taste. The mouthfeel is amazeing if I didn't know what I ordered I would have thought this was an ipa not a apa. Compared to other apa's this blows all others out of the water. I hope they put this in six packs the drinkability is crazy good.

01-19-2011 22:53:28 | More by phisigben
StoutItOutLoud

4.31/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12-oz bottle to tulip. This is the third bottle consumed in my life. "Had" rating of 4.25 earlier. This particular bottle was purchased on 8/23/2013, consumed 9/17/2013.

A: orange body. the off white head's huge w/ large, soapy bubbles. the head takes a long time to settle down, leaving spiderweb lacing.

S: orange, tangerine, allium, berry.

T: orange pith, peach, w/ a kiss of berry sweetness before the grassy bitterness of the hops comes to play hardball. the hops are countered by a tangible malt sweetness at the back end though.

M: dry finish, but creamy. well-carbonated.

more impressed by this bottle than in the past.

09-19-2013 16:03:24 | More by StoutItOutLoud
MeowTom

Washington

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

A- Pours a hazy amber color with a nice head that goes down to lacy coating over the top of the beer.

S- Wonderful complex hop smell that just fills your nose. Slight...slight maltiness is present which is a wonderful thing to have in APA.

T- Out of this world taste of hops and malt. This is how APA should taste or strive for.

M- Medium body with a very carbonated tickle to it. I love how this beer has everything complimenting another part of it.

O- I give it a 5 over all because even if I have 4.5s in the judging scaled this beer works so well as a whole that it deserves a 5. FFF has really nailed the APA and I would consider this to be probably the best APA--IPA--Whatever hoppy beer out there. Pliny the Elder fans if you haven't tried this get ready for a contender.

09-15-2012 21:50:01 | More by MeowTom
Efay

4.06/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Since there is so much fuss about this beer I decided to just rate it without bias. Three Floyds makes a damn good beer, but their cocky attitude at the brewpub multiple times left me boycotting for awhile. Alas, I gave in on a sixer the other day.

A- About 1 finger worth of head, and a moderate amount of lacing. A pale goldenrod color that is translucent.

S- Definitely smell sweet mango, with some subtle grapefruit and tangerines hints at the end. Also smell some light malt that really complements the mango.

T- First thing I taste is bitter pine, which leads to grapefruit to mango. It seems to go from bitter to sweet, and ends nicely with some light malty goodness.

M- High carbonation that stings the tongue, but not too overwhelming. Medium bodied.

O- A damn good beer. However, I believe it smelled better than it tasted. I feel like the pine overwhelmed the citrus flavors. But it is Three Floyds, they love their bitter hops. Lives up to the hype.

12-13-2012 23:48:04 | More by Efay
N_Schleret

4.36/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a very crisp looking golden/amber color with a one finger white head that dissipates to a sudsy top with sudsy lasting.
S: Very citrusy, orange, mango pineapple, with a slight floral finish.
T: Citrus. Grapefruit, and orange. Pretty much the same as the smell just a little more mellow.
M: Medium light on the palate, with a dry puckering finish.
O: Glad I was able to finally try some fresh. Would be perfect on a warm summer day.

03-26-2014 23:56:31 | More by N_Schleret