I <3 Deesko - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

No picture uploaded.

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  5.90% ABV

This is Gumballhead, without hops, and soured. This beer is offered with the following syrup options to add to the base beer: watermelon, peach, strawberry, lychee, chipotle pineapple.

(Beer added by: Sean9689 on 06-22-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

Hellvis, Jan 27, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

I don't <3 Deesko:

It's cool to see FFF visit seldom ventured territory by them, but this one left something to be desired.

No syrup

A- Cloudy deep golden color

S- Really not much coming off of it, some sweet malt

T- Sweet, slightly tart, thin, boring

M- lacks carbonation, slightly watery

O- Probably going to get the shit hyped out of it because "Floyds brewed a sour!". It's good to try, but I won't write home about it.

cpz28, Jun 26, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

Had on tap at FFF. Poured into tulip.

A: Pours an opaque mix of yellows and orange. No head, just a slight film and ring that leaves before I can even finish smelling it. Obviously no lace on this guy.

S: Tart citrus fruits, some orange. Faint hint of vinegar.

T: Some tart fruits without being sour. Mellowed white wine vinegar with some citrus fruits, oranges mostly. Finishes a little more sour than the start.

M: Very crisp and clean. Medium bodied with a light carbonation.

O: This guy didn't do much for me. I didn't get enough in the flavor or the nose. Fell short of some other sours I've had, but then again I don't think I've developed the palate to enjoy sours to their fullest potential.

Treebs, Jun 25, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

chgobear, Jul 06, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tried on tap at Floyds, 27 Jun 2011. Served in a tulip without syrup.

No head at all. Minimal carbonation. Cloudy dark gold in color. Aroma is tart but not bracing, some lemon. Initial taste is a bit more sour than the aroma indicates, but again not overpowering. Lemony sourness throughout. Easy to drink. Medium body, moderate ethanol. Finish is somewhat puckering.

Quite easy to drink.

htomsirveaux, Jun 28, 2011

rfraga77, Jan 15, 2012

spycow, Apr 26, 2013

jaa1984, Jan 10, 2012

jdhende, Jan 22, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

I had this on tap at the brewpub, $8.00 for a tulip. It's a pale light orange color, very hazy, with absolutely no foam. Tart aroma, just about right for the style (I think I expected hops or something, but FFF stayed true to the style). It tastes sour but not mind-blowingly sour, with a minerally aftertaste. Low carbonation, easy drinking. After finishing half the glass I went for the chipotle pineapple syrup, it added a LOT. This became a very sweet kool-ade like drink with a nice pepper bite, excellent! I highly recommend spending an extra dollar on a syrup.

TurdFurgison, Jun 24, 2011

jdcooper88, Jun 15, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Small white head disappeared immediately like it was never there on the pour. Beer is an orangish color, really looks a lot like Tang, ho stick or bubbles on the sides.

S - A lot of lacto sourness with some citrus and funk. It smells pretty solid, sweet and tart.

T - A ton of lacto sourness in this one, sourheads would love it. You actually do get a little bit of the gumball head in there. This beer somehow reminds me of Tang, particularly in how it finishes and makes me think a little of oranges. There is a little bit of a sulphur hint in there, and the beer itself is pretty big and potent for a berliner.

M - Very dry, the massive tartness hides the fact there is very low carbonation. When I say very low I mean basically none. Feels a little lip-smacking jammy.

O - This beer is not bad, definitely above average, but not something I was happy to have made the drive down for. Kind of overpowering and hard to drink tons of, although others had an easier time. Also quite pricey. Glad I tried it, but didn't go for two.

AgentZero, Jun 24, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

I <3 Deesko

Served in a tulip at Three Floyds on June 23, 2011. My ratings are based on tasting the beer without any syrup.

A: Pours hazy pale gold with a head that disappears by the time I'm typing this description. Cannot determine effervescence. Poor appearance is understandable but unacceptable.

S: Lactic sourness and bilious acid. I'm inclined to say malty, but the sourness overpowers that inclination. A light wheat tang shows up, though. A low-grade funk seems to play at edge of smell.

T: Tongue follows nose pretty faithfully. I will add that sourness increases on tongue as I drink more of this beer. Bigger and badder than a typical Berliner Weiss.

M: Medium body with bright, prickly carbonation. This doesn't have the watery mouthfeel of a typical Berliner Weiss. Quite drying.

O: I'm not convinced I <3 Deesko qualifies as a Berliner Weiss. The more generic American Wild Ale sits better with me. Issues of style aside, I find I <3 Deesko to be an intermediate sour that is quite enjoyable and bodes well for the newly launched Three Floyds' sour program.

For the syrups, watermelon did not oversweeten the base beer by much and was surprisingly good; lychee added a strong note of perfume and sweetness that became overpowering toward the bottom of the tulip; chipotle pineapple was just as delicious as it sounds, but do not add too much syrup to the base beer.

Wadsey, Jun 23, 2011

aasher, Jul 25, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Imbibed at the FFF Brewpub 06/23/2011. No suuurp.

Appearance -- Pours a hazy peachy gold with a slim frothy white head that disappears almost immediately: no lace, no wisps, gone. Definitely looks weird.

Smell -- A big rush of lemon, along with cracked wheat, granny smith apples, and wet hay. Incredibly acetic -- those critters must have been working overtime!

Taste -- Lots of fresh lemon, granny smiths, wet hay, dry grasses, and moderate malt sweetness. This is by a wide margin the tartest Berliner I've ever come across. Has more qualities in line with an unblended lambic than than of a Weise. Finish is cracked wheat, lemon, and wet hay.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body with mild prickly carbonation and bright acidity. Finishes slightly dry. Not really to style, but not offensive. More bubbles would've made a big difference.

Overall -- I reviewed this to style, and for a Berliner, this is very strange: odd mouthfeel, incredibly tart, not much of that wheat and wet grain flavor that typifies the Berliner Weise style. That said, it's tasty. Wasn't in love with the price, but if it were always available I'd drink it on a semi-regular basis.

If this beer were put in a bottle that said 'Veritas,' this would be an A+ American Wild Ale. Seriously.

yeahnatenelson, Jul 06, 2011

MordorMongo, Jan 13, 2013
3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

On tap at the Three Floyds brewpub, served in a tulip.

A - Pours a hazy yellow/orange. White head that fades quickly.

S - Faint funk with some citrus orange, quite a faint smell, nothing too overpowering. Though the lightness is good for a summer day.

T - Quite tart. Citrus tart dominates, along with some funk from the yeast. Not as much backing as I had hoped, the wheat plays very minimal role. Would want that more in the forefront to keep this from just being a tart bomb. Adding syrups really helps this base beer, I found the chipotle pineapple to be my favorite.

M - Pretty light, tart feeling on the sides of the mouth, but easy drinking once the initial blast of tart fades.

O - Good first sour from 3 Floyds but nothing to overwhelming. Needs a little more flavor in the back, but the citrus flavors and tart were refreshing. Would be interesting to see what would happen if this were allowed to age a little bit.

Scrumtralecent, Jun 29, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

served on-tap @ Three Floyds brewery into a tulip glass

Pours a cloudy school bus yellow with exactly no head. None. It didn’t even look carbonated. It looked thick in the glass, syrupy. I don’t know if this was just the bottom of the keg or what. It isn’t as if Three Floyds has a ton of experience making sour beer, so it could be an honest to goodness brewing flaw.

The smell of this beer alleviates any concerns I had from the appearance. That lactic bacteria tartness is here in abundance. Aromas of Muscat grape, lemon juice, and yuzu, in addition to some expected zippy wheat.

On the palate, the tartness is sharper here than in other
Berliner Weisse beers I’ve had. The tartness is nearly bracing; it’s on a wild ale/unblended lambic level. It’s tasty though. It tastes really really good; I can’t imagine many beers being more refreshing in the summertime. Fruity and tart and little else but that’s OK.

Given the appearance, it’s surprisingly not undercarbonated or syrupy. I mean, it could use some more carbonation, sure, but the body is light enough that the carbonation level feels pretty decent. Overall, this is a tasty beer, if not a truely authentic Berliner Weisse. It’s not perfect, but it is a good stab at the style by one of America’s best breweries.

Reaper16, Jun 30, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Big thanks to Mike and Itza for volunteering to make the trek to Three Floyds. Served in a tulip while waiting to be seated. No syrup added.

A - A half-finger of white foam sizzles to nothingness by the time the bartender hands me my tulip. The body looks like Tang, as Mike astutely noted. Hazy orange-peach color.

S - Wheat, lactic acidity, some light sulfuric notes, grain, and yeast. The sulfuric note reminds me of the Bayerischer Bahnhof Brettanomyces Lambicus Berliner, but I have no idea if brett was (deliberately) added here.

T - Taste is quite pleasant - more citrus flavors accompany the lactic sourness, imparting notes of lemon and orange zest. Again, plenty of wheat and yeast character. Tangy!

M - Surprisingly hefty, although I should have been tipped off by the stylistically inappropriate alcohol content. Almost no carbonation, with only a little bit of tingle on the upper lip. Quite dry and tannic, which is appreciated. Causes mild stomach churning after a half-glass.

D - Is this barrel-aged? I don't get much oak/wine/etc. but there's a tannic quality that I guess could be from the wheat. I found this quite easy to drink, but it's not a very authentic Berliner. I prefer Midnight Sun Whatever, as the alcohol here is too high for session potential (along with the price).

MasterSki, Jun 28, 2011

bstyle, Jan 27, 2012

cadaugherty, May 14, 2013

Pours a murky golden. Starts off with asmall thick head then dissapates to nothing. Unattractiveafter that.

Smells tart, lemons.

Follows nose. Tart kick in the butt.

Well carbonated, medium feel.

Liked overall. Would be a great outdoor summer beer. Sell me a growler FFF!

Duff27, Jun 26, 2011

mmmhopslam, Dec 25, 2011

imperialking, Dec 07, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

On tap at Three Floyds last weekend. Served in a tulip.

Pours a hazy light orange color with a pretty good white head that sticks around for a bit before fading, which occurs pretty quickly, as this was thin like the head on soda. The nice brings some good acidity and a bit of wheat. Good balance between the two. Some light citrus and peach.

The flavor brings some nice fruit to the front atop a wheat base. Good acidity throughout. Really easy drinking and smooth. Good body with nice carbonation. Dry, acidic finish. All around, a really nice brew.

Thorpe429, Jul 03, 2011