I <3 Deesko - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

I &lt;3 Deesko
No picture uploaded.

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Sean9689 on 06-22-2011

This is Gumballhead, without hops, and soured. This beer is offered with the following syrup options to add to the base beer: watermelon, peach, strawberry, lychee, chipotle pineapple.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

4.17/5  rDev +8%

On tap at Three Floyds last weekend. Served in a tulip.

Pours a hazy light orange color with a pretty good white head that sticks around for a bit before fading, which occurs pretty quickly, as this was thin like the head on soda. The nice brings some good acidity and a bit of wheat. Good balance between the two. Some light citrus and peach.

The flavor brings some nice fruit to the front atop a wheat base. Good acidity throughout. Really easy drinking and smooth. Good body with nice carbonation. Dry, acidic finish. All around, a really nice brew.

3.89/5  rDev +0.8%

Big thanks to Mike and Itza for volunteering to make the trek to Three Floyds. Served in a tulip while waiting to be seated. No syrup added.

A - A half-finger of white foam sizzles to nothingness by the time the bartender hands me my tulip. The body looks like Tang, as Mike astutely noted. Hazy orange-peach color.

S - Wheat, lactic acidity, some light sulfuric notes, grain, and yeast. The sulfuric note reminds me of the Bayerischer Bahnhof Brettanomyces Lambicus Berliner, but I have no idea if brett was (deliberately) added here.

T - Taste is quite pleasant - more citrus flavors accompany the lactic sourness, imparting notes of lemon and orange zest. Again, plenty of wheat and yeast character. Tangy!

M - Surprisingly hefty, although I should have been tipped off by the stylistically inappropriate alcohol content. Almost no carbonation, with only a little bit of tingle on the upper lip. Quite dry and tannic, which is appreciated. Causes mild stomach churning after a half-glass.

D - Is this barrel-aged? I don't get much oak/wine/etc. but there's a tannic quality that I guess could be from the wheat. I found this quite easy to drink, but it's not a very authentic Berliner. I prefer Midnight Sun Whatever, as the alcohol here is too high for session potential (along with the price).

3.49/5  rDev -9.6%

I had this on tap at the brewpub, $8.00 for a tulip. It's a pale light orange color, very hazy, with absolutely no foam. Tart aroma, just about right for the style (I think I expected hops or something, but FFF stayed true to the style). It tastes sour but not mind-blowingly sour, with a minerally aftertaste. Low carbonation, easy drinking. After finishing half the glass I went for the chipotle pineapple syrup, it added a LOT. This became a very sweet kool-ade like drink with a nice pepper bite, excellent! I highly recommend spending an extra dollar on a syrup.

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a murky golden. Starts off with asmall thick head then dissapates to nothing. Unattractiveafter that.

Smells tart, lemons.

Follows nose. Tart kick in the butt.

Well carbonated, medium feel.

Liked overall. Would be a great outdoor summer beer. Sell me a growler FFF!

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

3.54/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Small white head disappeared immediately like it was never there on the pour. Beer is an orangish color, really looks a lot like Tang, ho stick or bubbles on the sides.

S - A lot of lacto sourness with some citrus and funk. It smells pretty solid, sweet and tart.

T - A ton of lacto sourness in this one, sourheads would love it. You actually do get a little bit of the gumball head in there. This beer somehow reminds me of Tang, particularly in how it finishes and makes me think a little of oranges. There is a little bit of a sulphur hint in there, and the beer itself is pretty big and potent for a berliner.

M - Very dry, the massive tartness hides the fact there is very low carbonation. When I say very low I mean basically none. Feels a little lip-smacking jammy.

O - This beer is not bad, definitely above average, but not something I was happy to have made the drive down for. Kind of overpowering and hard to drink tons of, although others had an easier time. Also quite pricey. Glad I tried it, but didn't go for two.

4.14/5  rDev +7.3%

On-tap at BrewPub. Served in tulip.

My review is strictly the base beer.

A - Pours a very mirky yellow/orange color, small head that vanishes, no lace, cap, or retention.

S - Slight sour/tart, funk, orange citrus. Really smells like oranges and citrus peel. Very refreshing and a nice sour/tartness that's even a little powerful for a Berliner.

T - Right from the start I taste a nice sour/tartness, oranges, citrus. Tastes like a light non-sugary orange juice with slight lacto. So refreshing. Slightly tart finish that has a touch of oak.

M - Light, refreshing, light tingly carbonation, dry finish.

O - Since I started coming to FFF almost 3 years ago, I always wondered when they would brew a sour beer and how it would turn out. Well, here it is and it's truly excellent. Their take on a berliner is truly wonderful and it's going to be hard not to throw back several once you've had the base beer and want to experiment with the different syrups. Just killer.

Edit: I guess this has previously been on-tap dating back to 2006, but this is the first time I've seen it since 2008 and it's now double the ABV so I'm thinking it's a different recipe.

4.48/5  rDev +16.1%

On tap at FFF.
served without any syrup.

A hazy orange body began with a 1.5 finger crown and 30 seconds later showed no signs of carbonation anywhere.
Smells very good. I loathed Hottenroth but found 1809 to be quite palatable-- this nose is better than both, by far. Lemony citrus leads the charge with lactic acid and a light Brett note.

The flavor follows the same design-- lemony citrus notes start off a slightly sweet malt and wheat base. Some other vague fruit notes come through with hints of apricots and pears, almost like a nice fruity gueuze in a way. The light sourness compliments the other flavors and tartness nicely. Very flavorful and enjoyable beer right here.
This is light and tart. Finishes with a very summery refreshing quality.
The body feels much more bubbly than it looks, and feels even and smoothly carbonated. The light bretty funk is a great touch that seems to balance out the flavor profile while providing a bit of depth from straight lactic fermentation.

This is an excellent foret into sours from my favorite brewery. I truly hope this is a sign of big things to come!*

*even if the beers are only made available on tap!

With about 1/3 left I added a little bit of peach syrup:
Wow. What a difference that makes. The beer is super sweet now, with a giant note of Gummy Peach Rings. The flavor finishes with that sweet fake peach fighting off a large portion of the sourness and tartness. It is still good, but to be honest, better before the peach was added.

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tried on tap at Floyds, 27 Jun 2011. Served in a tulip without syrup.

No head at all. Minimal carbonation. Cloudy dark gold in color. Aroma is tart but not bracing, some lemon. Initial taste is a bit more sour than the aroma indicates, but again not overpowering. Lemony sourness throughout. Easy to drink. Medium body, moderate ethanol. Finish is somewhat puckering.

Quite easy to drink.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

Had on tap at FFF. Poured into tulip.

A: Pours an opaque mix of yellows and orange. No head, just a slight film and ring that leaves before I can even finish smelling it. Obviously no lace on this guy.

S: Tart citrus fruits, some orange. Faint hint of vinegar.

T: Some tart fruits without being sour. Mellowed white wine vinegar with some citrus fruits, oranges mostly. Finishes a little more sour than the start.

M: Very crisp and clean. Medium bodied with a light carbonation.

O: This guy didn't do much for me. I didn't get enough in the flavor or the nose. Fell short of some other sours I've had, but then again I don't think I've developed the palate to enjoy sours to their fullest potential.

3.76/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Imbibed at the FFF Brewpub 06/23/2011. No suuurp.

Appearance -- Pours a hazy peachy gold with a slim frothy white head that disappears almost immediately: no lace, no wisps, gone. Definitely looks weird.

Smell -- A big rush of lemon, along with cracked wheat, granny smith apples, and wet hay. Incredibly acetic -- those critters must have been working overtime!

Taste -- Lots of fresh lemon, granny smiths, wet hay, dry grasses, and moderate malt sweetness. This is by a wide margin the tartest Berliner I've ever come across. Has more qualities in line with an unblended lambic than than of a Weise. Finish is cracked wheat, lemon, and wet hay.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body with mild prickly carbonation and bright acidity. Finishes slightly dry. Not really to style, but not offensive. More bubbles would've made a big difference.

Overall -- I reviewed this to style, and for a Berliner, this is very strange: odd mouthfeel, incredibly tart, not much of that wheat and wet grain flavor that typifies the Berliner Weise style. That said, it's tasty. Wasn't in love with the price, but if it were always available I'd drink it on a semi-regular basis.

If this beer were put in a bottle that said 'Veritas,' this would be an A+ American Wild Ale. Seriously.

3.86/5  rDev 0%

served on-tap @ Three Floyds brewery into a tulip glass

Pours a cloudy school bus yellow with exactly no head. None. It didn’t even look carbonated. It looked thick in the glass, syrupy. I don’t know if this was just the bottom of the keg or what. It isn’t as if Three Floyds has a ton of experience making sour beer, so it could be an honest to goodness brewing flaw.

The smell of this beer alleviates any concerns I had from the appearance. That lactic bacteria tartness is here in abundance. Aromas of Muscat grape, lemon juice, and yuzu, in addition to some expected zippy wheat.

On the palate, the tartness is sharper here than in other
Berliner Weisse beers I’ve had. The tartness is nearly bracing; it’s on a wild ale/unblended lambic level. It’s tasty though. It tastes really really good; I can’t imagine many beers being more refreshing in the summertime. Fruity and tart and little else but that’s OK.

Given the appearance, it’s surprisingly not undercarbonated or syrupy. I mean, it could use some more carbonation, sure, but the body is light enough that the carbonation level feels pretty decent. Overall, this is a tasty beer, if not a truely authentic Berliner Weisse. It’s not perfect, but it is a good stab at the style by one of America’s best breweries.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

3.63/5  rDev -6%

I <3 Deesko

Served in a tulip at Three Floyds on June 23, 2011. My ratings are based on tasting the beer without any syrup.

A: Pours hazy pale gold with a head that disappears by the time I'm typing this description. Cannot determine effervescence. Poor appearance is understandable but unacceptable.

S: Lactic sourness and bilious acid. I'm inclined to say malty, but the sourness overpowers that inclination. A light wheat tang shows up, though. A low-grade funk seems to play at edge of smell.

T: Tongue follows nose pretty faithfully. I will add that sourness increases on tongue as I drink more of this beer. Bigger and badder than a typical Berliner Weiss.

M: Medium body with bright, prickly carbonation. This doesn't have the watery mouthfeel of a typical Berliner Weiss. Quite drying.

O: I'm not convinced I <3 Deesko qualifies as a Berliner Weiss. The more generic American Wild Ale sits better with me. Issues of style aside, I find I <3 Deesko to be an intermediate sour that is quite enjoyable and bodes well for the newly launched Three Floyds' sour program.

For the syrups, watermelon did not oversweeten the base beer by much and was surprisingly good; lychee added a strong note of perfume and sweetness that became overpowering toward the bottom of the tulip; chipotle pineapple was just as delicious as it sounds, but do not add too much syrup to the base beer.

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

On tap at the Three Floyds brewpub, served in a tulip.

A - Pours a hazy yellow/orange. White head that fades quickly.

S - Faint funk with some citrus orange, quite a faint smell, nothing too overpowering. Though the lightness is good for a summer day.

T - Quite tart. Citrus tart dominates, along with some funk from the yeast. Not as much backing as I had hoped, the wheat plays very minimal role. Would want that more in the forefront to keep this from just being a tart bomb. Adding syrups really helps this base beer, I found the chipotle pineapple to be my favorite.

M - Pretty light, tart feeling on the sides of the mouth, but easy drinking once the initial blast of tart fades.

O - Good first sour from 3 Floyds but nothing to overwhelming. Needs a little more flavor in the back, but the citrus flavors and tart were refreshing. Would be interesting to see what would happen if this were allowed to age a little bit.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is Gumballhead, without hops, and soured for 6 months.
The syrups come in about the size of a shot glass which you add in yourself.
Used my knife to mix it up lightly within the glass.

A - Pours a very mirky yellow/orange color, small head that vanishes pretty fast

S - Very soft smell that is hardly noticable. Citrusy smell of oranges.

T - Peach: Sourness up front with added flavor of peach. This was my second favorite out of the syrups to add in.
Strawberry: Very powerful strawberry flaovor. Adds too much sweetness and masks the sourness.
Chipotle Pineapple: Sourness up front with the pineapple flavor and then a spicy kick of an after taste. This was my favorite and the one I would recommend.

M - Light, refreshing, light tingly carbonation, dry finish.

O - Great base beer and also great with some of the syrups. Chipotle Pineapple is by far the best with peach coming in second.
It was great to try the base beer and then proceed with the syrups. Hopefully we will be seeing more sours from Floyds in the future as I beleive this was a huge success of a beer.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
I <3 Deesko from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.