I <3 Deesko - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

No picture uploaded.

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  5.90% ABV

This is Gumballhead, without hops, and soured. This beer is offered with the following syrup options to add to the base beer: watermelon, peach, strawberry, lychee, chipotle pineapple.

(Beer added by: Sean9689 on 06-22-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
cpz28

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

I don't <3 Deesko:

It's cool to see FFF visit seldom ventured territory by them, but this one left something to be desired.

No syrup

A- Cloudy deep golden color

S- Really not much coming off of it, some sweet malt

T- Sweet, slightly tart, thin, boring

M- lacks carbonation, slightly watery

O- Probably going to get the shit hyped out of it because "Floyds brewed a sour!". It's good to try, but I won't write home about it.

06-26-2011 19:54:42 | More by cpz28
GoldenVIKE

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Had on tap at the FFF Brew Pub. Tried the beer on its own, but most of this review is after adding the Chipotle Pineapple syrup. The syrup is extremely sweet and shouldn't be drank on its own. Would probably recommend not pouring the entire syrup into the beer unless you want the beer to be really sweet. I poured the whole thing in there not knowing.

A: Very hazy bright gold color, absolutely no head at all. Really, I wasn't watching the bartender pour the beer, and a minute later when I was looking at it there was absolutely ZERO head. You can't even swirl this around to get a hint of carbonation. This fact didn't change after adding the syrup. Very strange.

S: Very very sour and citrusy. Not much change after adding the syrup.

T: Extremely sour and sweet beer, almost like biting into a lime. Hard not to squench your face sour. After adding the syrup, this changed completely to almost taste like an orange, guava, and pineapple mimosa. You could also describe it as an orange/pineapple sweet tart. But what makes this beer special is the spicy chili kick that you get in the back of your mouth. Very entertaining!

M: A champagne sort of feel with a prickly, crisp carbonation. Sort of like a Belgian beer too. I was really surprised that a beer with ABSOLUTELY no head and ALMOST no hint of visual carbonation, actually had above-average carbonation.

O: This was one of the more interesting beers that I've ever drank, I have to say. If I didn't know it was beer, I wouldn't have thought it was beer. In that way, if you enjoy things likes New Glarus Wisconsin Red or Raspberry Tart, this is a similarly enjoyable super-sweet, fruity beer.

06-25-2011 23:53:44 | More by GoldenVIKE
Treebs

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

Had on tap at FFF. Poured into tulip.

A: Pours an opaque mix of yellows and orange. No head, just a slight film and ring that leaves before I can even finish smelling it. Obviously no lace on this guy.

S: Tart citrus fruits, some orange. Faint hint of vinegar.

T: Some tart fruits without being sour. Mellowed white wine vinegar with some citrus fruits, oranges mostly. Finishes a little more sour than the start.

M: Very crisp and clean. Medium bodied with a light carbonation.

O: This guy didn't do much for me. I didn't get enough in the flavor or the nose. Fell short of some other sours I've had, but then again I don't think I've developed the palate to enjoy sours to their fullest potential.

06-24-2011 23:17:09 | More by Treebs
TurdFurgison

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

I had this on tap at the brewpub, $8.00 for a tulip. It's a pale light orange color, very hazy, with absolutely no foam. Tart aroma, just about right for the style (I think I expected hops or something, but FFF stayed true to the style). It tastes sour but not mind-blowingly sour, with a minerally aftertaste. Low carbonation, easy drinking. After finishing half the glass I went for the chipotle pineapple syrup, it added a LOT. This became a very sweet kool-ade like drink with a nice pepper bite, excellent! I highly recommend spending an extra dollar on a syrup.

06-24-2011 17:36:48 | More by TurdFurgison
AgentZero

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Small white head disappeared immediately like it was never there on the pour. Beer is an orangish color, really looks a lot like Tang, ho stick or bubbles on the sides.

S - A lot of lacto sourness with some citrus and funk. It smells pretty solid, sweet and tart.

T - A ton of lacto sourness in this one, sourheads would love it. You actually do get a little bit of the gumball head in there. This beer somehow reminds me of Tang, particularly in how it finishes and makes me think a little of oranges. There is a little bit of a sulphur hint in there, and the beer itself is pretty big and potent for a berliner.

M - Very dry, the massive tartness hides the fact there is very low carbonation. When I say very low I mean basically none. Feels a little lip-smacking jammy.

O - This beer is not bad, definitely above average, but not something I was happy to have made the drive down for. Kind of overpowering and hard to drink tons of, although others had an easier time. Also quite pricey. Glad I tried it, but didn't go for two.

06-24-2011 01:53:07 | More by AgentZero
Wadsey

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

I <3 Deesko

Served in a tulip at Three Floyds on June 23, 2011. My ratings are based on tasting the beer without any syrup.

A: Pours hazy pale gold with a head that disappears by the time I'm typing this description. Cannot determine effervescence. Poor appearance is understandable but unacceptable.

S: Lactic sourness and bilious acid. I'm inclined to say malty, but the sourness overpowers that inclination. A light wheat tang shows up, though. A low-grade funk seems to play at edge of smell.

T: Tongue follows nose pretty faithfully. I will add that sourness increases on tongue as I drink more of this beer. Bigger and badder than a typical Berliner Weiss.

M: Medium body with bright, prickly carbonation. This doesn't have the watery mouthfeel of a typical Berliner Weiss. Quite drying.

O: I'm not convinced I <3 Deesko qualifies as a Berliner Weiss. The more generic American Wild Ale sits better with me. Issues of style aside, I find I <3 Deesko to be an intermediate sour that is quite enjoyable and bodes well for the newly launched Three Floyds' sour program.

For the syrups, watermelon did not oversweeten the base beer by much and was surprisingly good; lychee added a strong note of perfume and sweetness that became overpowering toward the bottom of the tulip; chipotle pineapple was just as delicious as it sounds, but do not add too much syrup to the base beer.

06-23-2011 20:30:38 | More by Wadsey
Skull40

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this at the brewpub without any of the syrups.

A - Somewhat thick with a brief head

S - Mild citrus

T - Sour fruits. I taste some oranges and grapefruit. Maybe a little lemon. No bitterness. Sour/tart finish.

M - Medium/light.

O - This is a very pleasing summer beer. The lively taste and relatively low abv pair well with a session at the brewpub.

06-23-2011 18:48:08 | More by Skull40
EseLocoSS

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is Gumballhead, without hops, and soured for 6 months.
The syrups come in about the size of a shot glass which you add in yourself.
Used my knife to mix it up lightly within the glass.

A - Pours a very mirky yellow/orange color, small head that vanishes pretty fast

S - Very soft smell that is hardly noticable. Citrusy smell of oranges.

T - Peach: Sourness up front with added flavor of peach. This was my second favorite out of the syrups to add in.
Strawberry: Very powerful strawberry flaovor. Adds too much sweetness and masks the sourness.
Chipotle Pineapple: Sourness up front with the pineapple flavor and then a spicy kick of an after taste. This was my favorite and the one I would recommend.

M - Light, refreshing, light tingly carbonation, dry finish.

O - Great base beer and also great with some of the syrups. Chipotle Pineapple is by far the best with peach coming in second.
It was great to try the base beer and then proceed with the syrups. Hopefully we will be seeing more sours from Floyds in the future as I beleive this was a huge success of a beer.

06-23-2011 17:59:32 | More by EseLocoSS
phishisphunk

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Served on tap at the brew pub into a tulip. Straight, no syrup.

Presents with a lively 1.5 inch fluffy white head. Beautiful bright yellow, opaque, no clarity. The head disappeared as quickly as my server. Zero lacing as expected. Presents more orange with less light. Looks still.

Aroma is tart, with cracked wheat and hints of citrus zest.

Taste is pleasantly sour. More sour than expected. tartness lingers long after he finish. Drys the mouth. Zero hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium with prickly carbonation. A tad bit heavy for the style, but overall very lIvely.

At 5% a bit high for the style but remains incredibly drinkable. Easily crushable. Recommended!

06-22-2011 23:08:26 | More by phishisphunk
Sean9689

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

On-tap at BrewPub. Served in tulip.

My review is strictly the base beer.

A - Pours a very mirky yellow/orange color, small head that vanishes, no lace, cap, or retention.

S - Slight sour/tart, funk, orange citrus. Really smells like oranges and citrus peel. Very refreshing and a nice sour/tartness that's even a little powerful for a Berliner.

T - Right from the start I taste a nice sour/tartness, oranges, citrus. Tastes like a light non-sugary orange juice with slight lacto. So refreshing. Slightly tart finish that has a touch of oak.

M - Light, refreshing, light tingly carbonation, dry finish.

O - Since I started coming to FFF almost 3 years ago, I always wondered when they would brew a sour beer and how it would turn out. Well, here it is and it's truly excellent. Their take on a berliner is truly wonderful and it's going to be hard not to throw back several once you've had the base beer and want to experiment with the different syrups. Just killer.

Edit: I guess this has previously been on-tap dating back to 2006, but this is the first time I've seen it since 2008 and it's now double the ABV so I'm thinking it's a different recipe.

06-22-2011 18:01:37 | More by Sean9689