Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

2.5/5  rDev -39.3%

2.5/5  rDev -39.3%

2.6/5  rDev -36.9%

2.68/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured this beer form a 22 oz bomber. Poured black with a brownish head. Left a good collar throughout the glass. To me, this beer had hints of coffee and pine at the same time. The taste was not one of my favorites. I did not enjoy drinking this beer. I am big fan of some of their other beers, but I did not enjoy this beer.

2.7/5  rDev -34.5%

Thanks for this extra Chris.

I don't know how I feel about this Three Floyd's "guy" on my bottle...looks like a shady pot smokin' fella with poor design, but remember to never judge a beer by it's label?

A: Pours like a good dark-roasted coffee color with a nice cascading soapy head that can hold it's own for a bit. Lacing was agreeable, but not spectacular.

S: Chocolate malt, robust spice, and good amount of hops.

T: The hops are overbearing in this beer's taste, but didn't think they would be this unpleasant judging from the nose. I enjoyed the malt profile or what I could taste of it...sweet and chocolaty. The hop profile was not to my liking in this beer, pungently unpleasant and irritating to my buds for some reason. I certainly have enjoyed hopped up stouts before, but this wasn't registering well with me.

M: Where is the viscosity that I have come to expect from 3F? This beer has an average mouthfeel, tad thin 'n' slim.

D: Not a fan of this beer, perhaps my opinion would change with a more aged version of it as the hops exercise control over the beer.

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A: A dark brown ale, raises a small head with poor retention. Splotchy lacing.

S: roasty chocolate malts, mild hints of spices.

T: Starts with watery chocolate milk, developing nutmeg and cinnamon on the mid-palate. Initially finishes with an unpleasant rubbing alcohol aftertaste, but as the beer warms that off-flavor seems to subside.

M: Moderate-low carbonation. Finishes with dry, slightly astringent spices.

O: A fairly run-of-the-mill porter. I don't find the spices adding much, but at least they aren't overdone. I was rather worried about the initial off-flavors, but that seems to be remedied by letting the beer warm for 15 minutes.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.