Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

(Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002)

hansenm72, Jul 24, 2014

Ondray, Mar 10, 2014

Kyrojack, Dec 26, 2013

vanillacokaine, Dec 29, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -26.8%

Reviewed on 8/21/09. Bottle. Pours black with a thick light tan head. Aroma of sweet roasted malt, very sweet. Flavor of sweet malt, chocolate malt, some lactose notes. Pretty bland and boring really; I'm quite underwhelmed. Too sweet and not complex at all. Meh.

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 19, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -26.3%

A: Pours pretty dark, almost black, light brown head that hung around for a couple of minutes before leaving a little lacing on the glass.

S: A little bit of malt and carmelized sugar, but mostly just overpowering citrus... grapefruit for sure. Amarillo hops?

T: Dark malts and coffee but mostly citrus. Too much for me, I really don't care for it because it overpowers the subtlety of the malts.

M: I do like the mouthfeel, it's nice and creamy and some good carbonation.

D: Pretty low on the drinkability. I had most of the bomber but just couldn't finish it. It would be interesting to have this beer with a slightly more normal hop schedule to it.

Overall, it's a little disappointing for me, I always stop by the brewery on my way to Michigan and I've had just about everything they offer. This is the first by them I didn't really dig.

aggiearcher13, Feb 06, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a 22 oz bottle

Poured a very dark brown, had minimal lacing and not alot of carbonation.

Smell was a very meaty, savory smell. Hard to explain but it was not at all sweet smelling.

Taste was more along the lines of a baltic porter. It had a savory meaty flavor, and almost a grape skin/grape koolaid flavor i tend to find in all baltic porters i try, and it is a flavor i cant seem to get past to say i like.

It was medium bodied and lacked adequate carbonation for me.

If you like baltic porters you will probably like this one, but i cannot drink them.

tayner, Apr 15, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -25.1%

Dark brown, almost black, creamy coffee-hued topper is gone within minutes.

Mainly chocolate. Light traces of caramel and coffee.

Sweet up front, and all the flavor that the aroma had promised me, are here. I like the strong hop flavor, and there's a little roasted bitterness here too. I'd like to know if there's any brown malt in here, just for the sake of knowing. Bit of a maple syrupy flavor as the beer warms up.

On the thin side body-wise. Medium carbonation. Smooth.

I like it. Pretty good beer, I would probably get a couple more, and cellar them, if I see them anywhere. I would drink one every now and again, but nothing too regular. Just to see how they cellar. Cheers!

dancinwillie, Apr 20, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -25.1%

(From Notes)
22oz bomber, split among two people.

Smell, very sweet coffee, semi-tart smell also present.

Taste, this one has a very interesting flavor, even for 3F. That semi-tart flavor hits a big chord, followed by a very, very strong fruity flavor, I was puzzled deeply drinking this beer. The usual coffee and chocolate flavors that you would find in most examples of the style must have gotten lost on their way to the brew kettle.

Overall, a very interesting beer to say the least. If you gave this beer to someone without telling them what it was, its a 10-1 shot they would say its a porter. I dug this beer only for it being unique, I wouldn't buy it again anytime soon and could never finish a whole bomber on my own.

leftmindedrighty, Apr 23, 2007
3.13/5  rDev -24.4%

This beer pours a dark red/Black; meaning it is opaque and looks black but does contain some red highlights. It has a nice 2-3 finger head and significant lacing.

Smell: From the moment I cracked open the bottle before I even got to start pouring it I got a FULL nose of a bold sweet, malty beer. Nice. After pouring it, I got subtle hints of hops and pine, chocolate and barely a bit of espresso hiding in the back of the aroma.

Taste: I lift the glass of this beautiful, nice smelling beer to my mouth for a sip and SMACK!!! ‘Holy green hoppy pine batman’, that was unexpected. ewe. Wow, what an intense overwhelming flavor of eating tree. I think there is some sweet caramel under there but I don't know if I can make it through the forest to find it on every sip; I just can’t get past the pine. If dragon breath was made of pine, the aftertaste would be a pine/fire breath across my tongue. If you like pine, go for it. This beer is for you. For me it is simply a flavor I don't care for. I was sitting beside my artificial Christmas tree and I thought it turned real and jumped into my glass. It was mostly the aftertaste that made me pucker so drastically.
I did pull out some Danish Havarti, cheese after a bit and things did begin to improve. As the beer reached room temperature and the bottle neared the end, I did find myself wincing less, and maybe even enjoying it. With a nibble of cheese after each sip, the aftertaste no longer bothered me so much. I thought about moving my rating up to 3.5 pushing 4; but that is the beer cheese combo not the beer alone. So I'll stand by my rating with the note that the cheese salvaged it and made it a good experience.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is initially light and thin; crisp and a bit bitey. A little swishing brought out the malty creamy feel, but I had to look for it.

Drinkability: This beer started off being even hard to stomach because of the extreme flavors. As my palate warmed up to it, the pine mellowed into a less extreme taste of coffee and became increasingly drinkable. The 'Loudness' of this beer makes it one to work on; not one that goes down very easily.

My review does seem to be a different experience than many other people had; but that is just my opinion.

---
I originally gave this beer a 2.5 for the taste. I am leaving my original review because it was my honest impression with that experience. This time round I found it to be a bit less cloying than I did last time so I increased the taste to a 3.0 rating for this experience. I stand by the opinion that if you like the pine flavor you’ll like this, if you don’t, beware.
---