Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

(Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

vanillacokaine

12-29-2012 06:53:32 | More by vanillacokaine
LilBeerDoctor

3.03/5  rDev -26.8%

Reviewed on 8/21/09. Bottle. Pours black with a thick light tan head. Aroma of sweet roasted malt, very sweet. Flavor of sweet malt, chocolate malt, some lactose notes. Pretty bland and boring really; I'm quite underwhelmed. Too sweet and not complex at all. Meh.

12-19-2009 01:18:56 | More by LilBeerDoctor
aggiearcher13

3.05/5  rDev -26.3%

A: Pours pretty dark, almost black, light brown head that hung around for a couple of minutes before leaving a little lacing on the glass.

S: A little bit of malt and carmelized sugar, but mostly just overpowering citrus... grapefruit for sure. Amarillo hops?

T: Dark malts and coffee but mostly citrus. Too much for me, I really don't care for it because it overpowers the subtlety of the malts.

M: I do like the mouthfeel, it's nice and creamy and some good carbonation.

D: Pretty low on the drinkability. I had most of the bomber but just couldn't finish it. It would be interesting to have this beer with a slightly more normal hop schedule to it.

Overall, it's a little disappointing for me, I always stop by the brewery on my way to Michigan and I've had just about everything they offer. This is the first by them I didn't really dig.

02-06-2009 03:45:56 | More by aggiearcher13
tayner

Arizona

3.08/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a 22 oz bottle

Poured a very dark brown, had minimal lacing and not alot of carbonation.

Smell was a very meaty, savory smell. Hard to explain but it was not at all sweet smelling.

Taste was more along the lines of a baltic porter. It had a savory meaty flavor, and almost a grape skin/grape koolaid flavor i tend to find in all baltic porters i try, and it is a flavor i cant seem to get past to say i like.

It was medium bodied and lacked adequate carbonation for me.

If you like baltic porters you will probably like this one, but i cannot drink them.

04-15-2008 17:28:24 | More by tayner
dancinwillie

Wisconsin

3.1/5  rDev -25.1%

Dark brown, almost black, creamy coffee-hued topper is gone within minutes.

Mainly chocolate. Light traces of caramel and coffee.

Sweet up front, and all the flavor that the aroma had promised me, are here. I like the strong hop flavor, and there's a little roasted bitterness here too. I'd like to know if there's any brown malt in here, just for the sake of knowing. Bit of a maple syrupy flavor as the beer warms up.

On the thin side body-wise. Medium carbonation. Smooth.

I like it. Pretty good beer, I would probably get a couple more, and cellar them, if I see them anywhere. I would drink one every now and again, but nothing too regular. Just to see how they cellar. Cheers!

04-20-2009 03:38:15 | More by dancinwillie
leftmindedrighty

3.1/5  rDev -25.1%

(From Notes)
22oz bomber, split among two people.

Smell, very sweet coffee, semi-tart smell also present.

Taste, this one has a very interesting flavor, even for 3F. That semi-tart flavor hits a big chord, followed by a very, very strong fruity flavor, I was puzzled deeply drinking this beer. The usual coffee and chocolate flavors that you would find in most examples of the style must have gotten lost on their way to the brew kettle.

Overall, a very interesting beer to say the least. If you gave this beer to someone without telling them what it was, its a 10-1 shot they would say its a porter. I dug this beer only for it being unique, I wouldn't buy it again anytime soon and could never finish a whole bomber on my own.

04-23-2007 14:36:38 | More by leftmindedrighty
Phatz

3.13/5  rDev -24.4%

This beer pours a dark red/Black; meaning it is opaque and looks black but does contain some red highlights. It has a nice 2-3 finger head and significant lacing.

Smell: From the moment I cracked open the bottle before I even got to start pouring it I got a FULL nose of a bold sweet, malty beer. Nice. After pouring it, I got subtle hints of hops and pine, chocolate and barely a bit of espresso hiding in the back of the aroma.

Taste: I lift the glass of this beautiful, nice smelling beer to my mouth for a sip and SMACK!!! ‘Holy green hoppy pine batman’, that was unexpected. ewe. Wow, what an intense overwhelming flavor of eating tree. I think there is some sweet caramel under there but I don't know if I can make it through the forest to find it on every sip; I just can’t get past the pine. If dragon breath was made of pine, the aftertaste would be a pine/fire breath across my tongue. If you like pine, go for it. This beer is for you. For me it is simply a flavor I don't care for. I was sitting beside my artificial Christmas tree and I thought it turned real and jumped into my glass. It was mostly the aftertaste that made me pucker so drastically.
I did pull out some Danish Havarti, cheese after a bit and things did begin to improve. As the beer reached room temperature and the bottle neared the end, I did find myself wincing less, and maybe even enjoying it. With a nibble of cheese after each sip, the aftertaste no longer bothered me so much. I thought about moving my rating up to 3.5 pushing 4; but that is the beer cheese combo not the beer alone. So I'll stand by my rating with the note that the cheese salvaged it and made it a good experience.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is initially light and thin; crisp and a bit bitey. A little swishing brought out the malty creamy feel, but I had to look for it.

Drinkability: This beer started off being even hard to stomach because of the extreme flavors. As my palate warmed up to it, the pine mellowed into a less extreme taste of coffee and became increasingly drinkable. The 'Loudness' of this beer makes it one to work on; not one that goes down very easily.

My review does seem to be a different experience than many other people had; but that is just my opinion.

---
I originally gave this beer a 2.5 for the taste. I am leaving my original review because it was my honest impression with that experience. This time round I found it to be a bit less cloying than I did last time so I increased the taste to a 3.0 rating for this experience. I stand by the opinion that if you like the pine flavor you’ll like this, if you don’t, beware.
---

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

12-14-2005 01:48:04 | More by Phatz
ZPB

3.13/5  rDev -24.4%

A shared bottle with father-in-law and brother-in-law, thanks George for finding this one!

Poured into three tall glasses with a tan head that lingered quite a while. A beautiful black opaque color.

Smells of roasty malty goodness. Not the typical scents of a porter - very little chocolate or coffee.

When the liquid hit my tongue I immediately knew why the smell was different. It tasted like a black ipa. The roasted malts were hidden behind the hops.

Dry finish like an ipa, not a porter.

I know why they call this a 'cousin' the ipa, because that's what it is. Good, not great. A Black IPA not a porter. I would not need to drink again.

01-26-2012 18:48:33 | More by ZPB
Franz4

3.13/5  rDev -24.4%

Friend brought back a growler, we broke this open 2 days later.

A- poured with a huge head that settled nicely with lots of lacing. Very dark, just a touch of translucence.

S- Very much a pine scent to it, a bit antiseptic. Nose really downgraded my hopes for this beer.

T- Tastes like a christmas tree, add in a touch of toasted brown sugar and some dark chocolate, but nothing really works it's way through the pine.

M- medium bodied with a hoppy pine aftertaste.

D- I was somewhat disappointed, this wasn't a bad beer, but it seemed to be a bit one-dimensional and the pine overpowered everything else.

Serving type: growler

12-08-2010 04:58:34 | More by Franz4
Tinfoilrcr

3.15/5  rDev -23.9%

Received as an extra from Hayesez - thanks. Poured from a bombed into a pint glass.

A- Dark blackish brown with hint of ruby on the outer edge of the brown/tan head. Head dissipates quickly leaving some nice lacing.

N- Chocolate and coffee, mixed with with bright bitterness along with citrus and floral hops.

T- Big coffee flavor up-front. Almost stout-esque. FInish of citrus and flavor hops. Some nice chocolate malt tones.

M- Heavy.

D- Could not drink very many of these, given its heaviness. Also seems a little flat. Could use some more carbonation to improve the drinkability.

03-14-2010 23:20:45 | More by Tinfoilrcr
Higravity

3.15/5  rDev -23.9%

I got this from Cretemixer and I read some reviews before I tried it. First let me say I like the idea of a hopped-up sweet porter but the hop combo in this beer is a turn-off. My nose knows and while it poured a great dark color and creamy tan head that had staying power and left lace, this beer smelled off. I am sure I have a good bottle everything was intake and it doesn't tasted oxidized. It reminds me of a fasting beer that has a lot of extra sugar to help tide the monks over. There are plenty of roasty flavor in there but they are beaten to death by the sugar. It is definately drinkable and a rare enjoyment that I thank my fellow BA for this. I could see having one of these in the yuldetide mood, but not anytime soon.

12-10-2004 22:26:37 | More by Higravity
Bung

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

22 oz. Nearly black pour, white head. Surprisingly piney aroma, some peat and roast malt. Flavor is also surprisingly crisp, very dry and hoppy. This over-rides the earthy malt, chocolate and coffee. Nearly creamy, but the bittyness hurts the mouthfeel a bit. Finishes with some linering coffee and hop bitterness. Really too much hops for the style. More alcohol warming as well than I would prefer, even though it is not that terribly high an abv. Drinkability is pretty meh. Unfortunately I had rather high expectations for this. Hopefully with some age this will mellow out a bit.

02-08-2009 05:41:43 | More by Bung
FtownThrowDown

3.2/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours a very dark brown in color. There was at least a two inch head sitting atop this beer. Smell is subdued hops and some chocolate malt. Taste is much more of the malt with a little bitterness as well. There is a grassy and pine flavor of course coming from the hops. Pretty decent medium full on the mouthfeel.

02-07-2008 23:58:20 | More by FtownThrowDown
Mudpuppet

3.2/5  rDev -22.7%

A- Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Pours a root beer color with no head.

S- Dark malts, coffee, chalk. Not overly strong.

T- Hops on the front receding to coffee, and dark chalky malt. You get a strong alpha hop profile throughout. Not quite as malty as I would expect.

M- A bit too carbonated. And a bit too thin for a porter.

D- Overall a well crafted beer but I have lost all the porter notes in this to an alpha taste that I cannot shake from my palate. I want more malt which isn't there. Better on the first few sips than the last of the beer.

03-02-2008 20:40:17 | More by Mudpuppet
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -22%

Bottle: Poured a black color porter with an above medium dark foamy head with good retention. Aroma of pine is really non-expected but enjoyable nonetheless when mix with roasted malt. I couldn’t really detect any chocolate or coffee, which I would have expected. Taste is dominated by the pines and IMHO doesn’t leave enough places for roasted malt and bitterness. I guess I’m kind of surprise this is rated so highly since it seems to be liking character and I must say that I’ve had much better beer from 3 Floyds.

06-16-2005 17:19:02 | More by Phyl21ca
getkrunkhoe

3.23/5  rDev -22%

consumed on 5-17-09 (from notes)

App-dark, opaque,no lace to thin lace head, disappears quickly.very inviting.

Ar-where do i begin? roast presence is there;but its not your typical roasty note, this is different.I get Horchata and maybe "mexican chocolate(?)". has a lot going on.

T- very similar to aroma,horchata (which is rice water with cinnamon and sugar), mexican hot chocolate comes to mind,coffee,finish has some bitterness/earthy note to it.

MF-carbonation isnt in your face,but it has some thickness to coat your mouth.

D-if you dont mind a complex beer with lots going on,then go ahead.not to easy of a drinker but it was great trying it.

as much as i wanted to "love" this beer I was a bit disappointed.smells better than the taste.

02-02-2010 20:32:55 | More by getkrunkhoe