Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Reviews: 719 | Hads: 2,019

2008 bottling consumed Dec 18, 2009

This is actually the first time I have had this beer, and it's from a bottle that has been in my cellar for a year.

Nice thick brown head atop a rich, dark beer. Aromas of chocolate, hops, roasted malt, toffee. A fabulous tasting brew, and easily one of the best porters I have had. This beer is really easy to drink, and I will definitely be picking up a few of these from FFF in a couple of days. (436 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Three Floyds always does a good job of taking a well-known style and tweaking it just enough that it is still within the boundaries of the style yet memorable because of its uniqueness. This is another example. The beer is a deep mahogany color with a thick tan head that lasts pretty much the entire glass. Nice lacing too. The aroma bursts with hops, coffee, alcohol and pine. Rich body with a very pleasant blend of flavors. Roasted nuts, coffee, malt and tons of piney hops never let up. The finish is roasty and bitter to the end. I thought the $9 price tag was a bit steep but this is a fine beer. (603 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

beautiful dark porter with a thick, tan head that stcks around well and leaves great lace. chocolate, toasty malt, piney hop and a touch of oak and maybe coffee in the nose. tastes of milk chocolate, then hops, with a mildly bitter dark chocolate and coffee finish. big body for a porter and very, very tasty. one of if not the best porter i've had to date. (357 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Absolutely incredible beer here. Second beer I've had from this brewery and I'm a believer!!

I enjoyed this beer on Christmas Eve while waiting on the kiddies to drift off....

Black as midnight with a caramel head this is impressive as hell. It just keeps climbing and climbing...

All dark chocolate and coffee here with just the slightest hint of piney hops in the background. This smells too good to drink. Amazing.

This tastes unbelievable. You know, there is a lot of hype surrounding the FFF stuff and I've always wondered if it was warranted. Let me tell you this... in my eyes, that's a big yes.

Smoky, chocolatey, hoppy, hints of coffee, vanilla... very good tasting beer. This beer is a dessert.

My wife actually kissed me after drinking this beer and asked me what it was. She said, "Damn, whatever you're drinking smells good enough to eat!"

My sentiments exactly.... Unmatched in the porter realm to this point. I do have an Olfabrikken waiting on me in the fridge so we'll see how they stack up against one another. (1,037 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

2007 Edition, decided to kick off the holiday week of beer with a FFF Alpha Klaus. I was a little worried that this one sat too long but once I popped the top and the aroma of coffee and chocolate filled the air. Poured black with a beast of a head that overflowed my Corsendonk snifter. Aromas are coffee, roasted malts, and an underlying sweetness. Flavor is bitter chocolate up front highly carbonated on the palate and believe it or not hops are still present. Finish is all roast and a slight burn from the alcohol but no real alcohol flavor. A top notch porter. FFF does it again. (586 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

a - poured a three-fingers thick tan head into a goblet, left thick coating on the sides of the glass and a nice sheet throughout. the body was a dark black color.
s - lots of coffee and chocolate aromas with a hint of breadiness and understated piney hops. very complex.
t - roasted coffee, chocolate with a sweet piney flavor.
m - very slick and coating but drinks clean.
d - terrific beer. (392 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

A : Pours a black with a nice two finger tan head. Decent lacing left on the glass

S : Toasted malts, dark chocolate, hints of vanilla and Christmas spices

T : Good strong roasted malt flavor at the beginning with dark chocolate flavors. A good hop bitterness comes on at the end that turns it to a bittersweet chocolate which works so well. It's got a nice complex flavor.

M : Smooth, velvety with good carbonation that just tingles on the tongue

D : An excellent beer that I plan on finding more of. It's an easy one to drink. (532 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.9%

Got this as my first bomber of Alpha Klaus ever and one that I've been waiting to finally drink. Want to thank my girlfriend for the opportunity of trying this one since it was a christmas gift from her.

A- looks like the typical porter with a dark, chocolate brown head that is completely opaque and is rather clear, not foggy. Actually has a bit of a sheen to it. A nice small head that stays throughout and floats barely on the top of the bottle; kinda like a bit of foam on the top of a coffee. The head is actually made up of a bunch of small bubbles that sit right on top. I really like the color of this one. Nice and thick head that poured in my friend's pint glass since we split the bomber. looks like thick cream sitting on top of dark coffee

S- wow well people did not lie when they said there is hops coming off of this one. Especially kind of intense hops for a porter where hops are usually not represented. There is also a bit of hints of spices and chocolate that comes up with the hops Also there is a smell of a drak chocolate.

T - the main taste of this one that first hits me is hops that just attack the tongue. This is the typical FFF citrus hops that seem to characterize their brew. Odd to see such a hop presence in a porter. Then after the hops fades away it fades away into your more typical porter aspects. There is a nice chocolate presence and actually a bit of a grainy sugar sweet presence that goes to offset the dark chocolate presence. After awhile the hops actually seem to come back to me as well and I think they may actually become a bit stronger and blend in with the chocolate aspect of the beer. There is also a nice milky aspect to the beer, makes it rather creamy and actually imparts that cream taste in the mouth. Afterwards there is a light hops presence that sticks around in the mouth.

MF - Rather creamy and smooth on the mouth without only a light amount of carbonation that seems to come in later. I love the milky aspect of the beer that goes with the taste of the beer alot. Afterwards, the light hops presence leaves a slight tingly feeling in the mouth and makes you wnat to have another drink.

D - overall a great porter from FFF and an interesting interpretation of the style that makes me want to keep having a sip after a sip to experience all of the interesting taste within this one. there are just so many different flavors in the porter that I keep wanting to discover. I love how this is like a mix of a hop bomb and a sweet porter too; gotta love the FFF boldness. Also, the creamy milky aspect makes it really easy to sip down and enjoy. I will pick this up every holiday season and enjoy it whenever it comes out. Also I have to say this is much better than the barrel aged Klaus since you can actually taste the hop profile that makes this such an interesting brew. (2,840 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.9%

a: pours a jet black color with about a inch and half worth of tan head that has decent retention time leaves an amazing amount of lace, in short what i look for in a good beer very very inviting
s: the roasted malts really come out in the aroma nice hop bitterness as well very nice
t: very very good, roasted malt flavor, hop presence very nice
m: full bodied beer very nice not overly carbonated

overall this beer is amazing one of the best ones ive had truly a great beer (482 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.9%

SCORE!!! I found this marked down to $5 (from $9) because it is now out of season. "Silly fools," I say. "This is one of my top 3 porters and it should still be good even this late in the year."

Pours almost black into a Duvel tulip with a one-finger brown head that eventually settles into a milky froth that coats the surface.

Inhaling deeply through the nose reveals a rich, sweet aroma of malty sativa buds, foreshadowing the hoppy goodness I am about to enjoy.

Starts out tasting like a thick IPA, then quickly morphs into a slightly sweet malt and finishes with a Sumatra coffee aftertaste that lingers on.

Mouthfeel is of moderate thickness with a touch of creamy froth.

This is a very drinkable porter, despite its 7.5% ABV content. They should really make this year-round. Instead, I will continue to enjoy it during my December rituals during the Sunday afternoon football game - and occasionally score the occasional discounted bottle in late spring. (966 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Received this one from BeerBeing in the Birthday BIF. Just in time for the chilly weather...

Served from a 22oz. bomber in a Duvel tulip at cellar temperature.

A - Pours a dark chocolate brown with mahogany highlights that can barely be seen through this beer's dense body. The head rises quickly -- cocoa brown and chunky -- immediately creeping up the sides of the glass. Lacing is spotty, but what this beer does have is some big legs. Nice.

S - Big notes of brown sugar and molasses that lounge atop a divan of cushiony and cold floral hops. Piney notes can also be found mingling with dark espresso tones and (cold) hot cocoa-mocha, like a General Foods International coffee.

T - Given the big presence of hops in the hose, the taste comes off as superbly balanced. Starting with molasses brown sugar cookies, the sweetness subsides as a dark baking chocolate bitterness steps in. Also noted are coffee, pralines, and figs. The alcohol is nicely concealed, although you know it's hiding there somewhere. The aftertaste is only moderately bitter, and the drying is just enough to keep you in suspense for the next sip.

M - As with most FFF products, the mouthfeel on this baby is superb. Enough carbonation to keep it tingly, but never rising above a fine froth in the mouth, leading to a creamy, chewy swallow that doesn't leave your belly feeling full of CO2.

D - This is an excellent staple for any fan of "colder weather beers" with some nice backbone. At 7.5%, it's also feasible to knock off a bomber on your own without getting whacked. An excellently hoppy take on a traditionally mildly hopped style. (1,631 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Picked this up at dark lord day way back in April. Can't believe it's taken me this long to finally crack one open... what was I waiting for? Maybe it was just the weather.

Appearance- typical near black color with just under a finger of head. Not much carbonation, but that's ok for the style. Consequently, not much lacing to speak ok.

Smell- Lots of roasted malts, but I'd say the overall theme is heath bars. Reminds me of ben and jerry's heath bar crunch ice cream (do they still make that?). Lots of coffee too.

Taste and Mouthfeel- upon the first sip of this brew it was evident that this was one of the best if not the best porter I've had. very, very tastey and sessionable even at 7.5%. A bit of roastiness and nuttiness, but not too much. Hops are subdued and malt is in the forefront, but the balance between roasted bitterness and hop bitterness is done extremely well. The mouthfeel is somewhat silky, and that combined with a heath bar-like taste again reminds me of Ben and Jerry's heath bar crunch.

Drinkability- Very much a sessionable beer if you're into porters. (1,086 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark, smooth full bodied pour with reddish purple tinges around the edges. A huge tan head comes in and holds until I'm done. Ridiculous amounts of sticky lacing. I love it! Smells like I walked into a coffee shop and then put a hop plant up my nose. It works well! Very nice mixture of the two along with some sweet chocolate on top. Taste has a concentrated espresso shot, not really roasted at all, but still intense. Dark, lucious chocolates dominate the malts. A little charcoal in there underneath. Full green hop plants come in the finish. There's a creaminess in there as well but I really get it at the end. This beer went down way, way too smooth. Too good. It's a shame we can't get it here in Michigan and the price also makes it a shame but its still worth it for a treat every once in awhile. (806 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

WOW. I certainly didn't expect this to have such a strong hops aroma, but it is from 3F's. Great roasted aroma really mixes well with th ehops. Long lasting, rocky head. I haven't had many porters, but this beer is outstanding. I have a couple more I thought I'd save till next Christmas, but I'll drink them soon so I can enjoy the hoppiness. (343 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber, purchased around March 14, so it's been on the shelves for a while, but it was in a dark area behind other bottles and it looks like it's been taken care of well.

Pours obsidian black and totally opaque with a monstrous tan head. The bubbles are the largest I've ever seen, and the lacing is awe-inspiring. The foam sprays up the side of my pint nearly to the rim, and holds on in persistent patches, Jackson Pollock-style.

I don't even give a shit what it tastes like anymore, just let me stare at it for a while.

Three Floyds has the coolest bottle art ever.

The nose is a seductive blend of citric hops, dark roasted malt, and coffee. This is one of the most unique and best-smelling beers I've encountered-- it's like Storm King, but with much more balance and complexity.

Opens with bitter, mouth-puckering hoppiness that hangs around until the finish. The malt backbone appears mid-palate, but fades away fast into a strong aftertaste of coffee. After a few sips, the hops hang around much longer, and I almost have to take a break from the beer for the coffee flavor to come back to the forefront. It's a hop-bomb porter, and it kicks ass-- balance, complexity, and unapologetic hopping in one sexy bottle.

The mouthfeel is chewy and fluffy at the same time, and creamy as hell at the back of the palate. Again, unusual, and impressive.

After about a quarter-pint, the warming effect of the alcohol becomes slightly noticeable, but I couldn't taste it in the beer if I tried-- it is"only" 7.50%ABV after all. Drinkability is out of control-- I could drink this beer non-stop until my liver resigns.

This is an awesome, awesome beer. This beer could convert anyone to a hophead, but the beautiful thing is that it doesn't have to-- the malt backbone is more than strong enough to withstand a year of cellaring (I think.) (1,863 characters)

22 oz bomber/ 3 Floyds Imperial Pint glass

Dark chocolate color with ruby highlights. Huge rocky head falls slowly to a foamy cap.

Smells like a cirus bowl. Lemon, orange and grapefruit hops are fresh as can be with some floral and corriander. Chocolate malt and sugar cookie. Some slight espresso roast.

Taste starts with bold citrus hops much like the nose. Hops fade into a great roast with sweet chocolate and slight coffee and a roasty toasty malt finish but the hops hold their own and blend nicely.

Mouthfeel is moderate to full. Slightly chewy. Medium carbonation.

This is better than I remember from last year and I loved it. 3 Floyds has some kind of secret weapon that utilizes hops to perfection. (713 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Following its emancipation from a 22oz bomber, this porter sits heavy in my snifter and kicks up a frothy light brown head. Opaque onyx is the color, ambrosial is the aroma. A thick roasted chocolately coffee smell coexists simultaneously with citrous and piney hops. An interesting combination that is not used enough, in my opinion. Alcohol is present in the nose as well. Flavor begins with large malts and roasted grain. Bitter chocolate blends with coffee in a big dark way, reminiscent of a stout. A crescendo of hops begins in the middle, beginning subtly and finishing the flavor with bitter, drying citrous. Roasted grain continues in the finish, but is dominated by an onslaught of prickly hops. Mouthfeel is thick (for the style) and very full, with some hop bite and medium-low carbonation. An intense, complex, enjoyable and very drinkable porter. Why do Three Floyds kick so much ass? I don't know, but I'll stay satisfied as long as I'm supplied with these unique and well-hopped takes on familiar styles. (1,020 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- poured 22oz into tulip. Pours extremely dark brown, pretty much black. Has a health two finger (at least) tan head that laces as you drink.
S- smokey, milky chocolate, cinnamon, piney, crisp hops
T/M- follows the nose. Plenty of milky chocolate, some cinnamon, maybe some nutmeg, piney hops, perfectly smokey.
O- very unique brew. this beer drinks very easily, the hops leave your tongue bitter but the porter coats it at the same time, very interesting, very good. I prefer a happier beer, and this is a nice change from the over-spiced Christmas dark ales that tend to be the standard. This is a great holiday beer, it's just done the FFF way, lots of delicious hops! (673 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Poured the last third of a bottle into a wine globe. It formed a half finger tan head. The head faded fairly quickly to a thin trace with a little bit of lacing. Color is similar to a strong dark roast coffee.

S - The smell is this beer's forte. Great citrus hop and sweet malt nose with notes of vanilla and anise. Outstanding.

T - Roasty malts up front with hints of coffee and brown sugar with a very nice piney hop finish. Slightly smokey malt is there in the finish as well. It has great balance. The smell had me anticipating a sweet beer but the sweetness level is just right.

M - Very smooth with medium-heavy body and medium carbonation. Alcohol warmth is slight in the finish.

D - Very nice beer. I wasn't expecting a porter with this much hops but it was very tasty. It kind of blurs the lines between porter and black IPA. It's quite drinkable. A whole bomber in one sitting would be no trouble. (915 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%

On tap at the FFF Brewpub in November 2009.

Pours a very, very dark brown with a moderately-brown head. Hops are at the forefront of this one, with a bit of dark chocolate, coffee, and roast coming through in the background. The taste is quite similar, with an amazing amount of piney hops coming through alongside a little bit of citrus. Chocolate and coffee also make an appearance. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and well-carbonated. Overall, a little intense and heavy for extended drinking, but definitely an absolutely delicious beer. (541 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle undated, presumably 2004 vintage Pours syrupy black with virtually zero head retention. Nose is super pine cone hops overpowering virtually all other aromas. Really, this one smells like nothing less than a freshly squeezed Xmas tree. And to my senses that’s a good thing. The body has a nice heavy gravity to it, sliding down the throat langorously like carbonated molasses... only a slight exagerration, but the enthusiasm brought about by this beer encouraging a bit of truth stretching. The hops aren’t nearly as dominant on the tongue as the aroma, but still marginalize the other tastes. The actual taste of the hops used is quite excellent, however. A fine, if nearly exquisite, example of what I look for in a Christmas ale. High marks all around (763 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours deep dark brown, not much of a head, and a lot of bubbles from the carbonation visible.

When I poured the second half of the bottle, it looked much nicer... bigger head, and less bubbles.

Aromas are excellent. Hoppy pine and sweet chocolate noted on the nose. Very nice.

Flavors are quite nice. Tastes of chocolate on the front, a touch of mocha hoppy bitterness, and then a nice creamy yet crisp finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit light on the front, but makes up for it with the nice finish.

What a well done porter. My favorite offering so far from Three Floyds. This is a very tasty and drinkable brew.

Thanks a lot sman262 for sending this my way. (670 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

I used to think I generally preferred stouts to porters (not that one need choose)... but lately, I'm finding some of my favorite dark beers are porters. This joins that group.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised when leaning in for a whiff of this luxuriously thick, deep black brew I found it to be wafting up noticeable aromas of citrus and pine hops. I was, but I shouldn't have been.

And I guess I shouldn't have been any more surprised when I found a velvety, roasty but not burnt roasted brew, full of coffee flavors to meld generously into an oily hoppy delight. I was... but I shouldn't have been. Not quite an IDA... this definitely put the porter characteristics first, but it seemed bright despite its rich darkness.

Despite a silky texture, it did feel a little light on the palate, and neither quite rich/creamy enough or spritely enough to satisfy either direction. That's nitpicking, it still was great in the mouth.

I could drink this all winter, and it seems particularly well suited for the pseudo-colder winter months of SoCal... may I find this in my stocking every year! (1,093 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

When my local liquor store scaled this down in price from $9 to $5 I had to snap on it. No expiry date but with the nature of FFF who cares. Interesting X-mas themed take on the FFF Hop King.

Bottle mentions English malts, Mexican sugars, and American hops.

A head that mysteriously transforms from white to dirty brown during the pour remains a nice almost 3/4" crown on the beautifully chocolate non-opaque ruby body.

A deep roasted chocolate nose presents itself when the beer is cold but as the beer warms its all biscuit-surrounded herbal hops. A few light whiffs of alcohol and caramel poke through as well.

As with many FFF beers, the lace is mighty impressive. The dense body of the beer is evident even as you pour it, as it seems to coat the glass with unusual unlightness of being. Its viscosity is akin to hot fudge!

In what is seeming to be a impressive trait in this beer, the taste is so complex on your palate it hits in waves. At first you notice the major roastiness of the beer and the sweet chocolate espresso notes. As the palate is warmed by alcohol it is easily set down in between the hoppy land of the Dreadnaught and the Alpha King. Really damned good.

The mouthfeel is perfect too: not overly sweet in nature, not syrupy, but thick and chewy. I'm only half way through and i'm craving another.

Yet another damned fine beer from Nick Floyd and Co! (1,395 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Incredibly dark brown… I would almost say black except for a barely perceptible ring of mahogany when held to the light. A huge 2.5-3” head… big and puffy. The head gradually resides to an inch of khaki beauty.

Large toffee tones start this one out… strong vinous berries and dark, wine soaked fruit… earthy depth and bitter chocolate. The most complex porter I have ever inhaled…. A masterpiece in the nose.

Toffee, cream, and bitter chocolate…. Wow…. Fantastic. You can feel the hops get up in your sinuses, but otherwise they aren’t easy to notice because of the huge maltiness. As the beer warms, however, the hop profile shows itself. Glorious.

Perfectly thick, but a bit too much carbonation… a very minor complaint.

While an amazing tasting beer, it is too big for me to want to drink more than one bomber in a sitting. Additionally, the strength of the brew pretty much ensures I couldn’t have more than one…. Still… absolutely incredible…another winner from 3 Floyds. (1,002 characters)

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.