1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

(Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,605 | Reviews: 692 | Show All Ratings:
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

ahh...another brew from secret santa..what a great idea!
I am sampling at room temp in a snifter.
The beer pours a rich dark brown with a tan fluffy marshmallowy head foaming up easily to 3-4 cm.
The head slowly fades to a robust surface layer and by the end of the snifter is only an edge layer.
Aroma is some roasted malt and sweet chocolate, but dominated by piney and grassy hops. I find this typical of the 3F brews I have sampled.
First sip reveals an average body with fine tingly carbonation. Flavor is mild overall with some brown sugar and chocolate mixing for a nice sweet flavor rolling to a slight coffee bitterness. I need to restate, flavor is mild overall, but very tasty.
The body seems to finish a little lite, but I believe this is true to the porter style.
I get the piney hops flavor on the burps, was wondering where the hops from the nose went. Overall this is a mellow smooth easy drinking brew. DOnt let the nose fool you, not a hop monster for sure.
Very nice!

01-25-2005 03:55:26 | More by sulldaddy
MuddyFeet

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

There's a lot going on in this beer for a porter. It pours extremely dark, with a two-finger deep head on it. The head settled down and would create a nice steady lace throughout the glass. The aroma is a very mild spruce, with burnt malts in the background. The tongue comes across as a cornocopia of dark choocolate, Christmas tree, malts, sweet hops, and smokey goodness. The carbonation is perfect for a porter, enough to know it is there and bring out the flavors, but not too much so that it keeps the flavors from reaching the tongue with fizz. But good God, I think I actually found a Christmas/Holiday/Celebration beer I found myself wanting to drink.

01-24-2005 01:09:12 | More by MuddyFeet
longpondbeerman

Maine

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Managed to get a couple of bombers of the Alpha Klaus from my friends at Half Time Beverages, and I was not disappointed. This seasonal porter--they call it a chocolate porter--poured a deep ebony with just enough translucence to reveal the clear, blood red undertone. The head was tall (2 and 1/2 fingers) and toffee/chocolate brown. Not thick frothiness, but sticky. The aroma was a balance of roasted sweet malts and distinct piney hoppiness. This is a hard combination to keep under control, and I was nervous about the taste, but they managed to pull it off. The mouthfeel is medium-thin, and the roasted nuttiness was not cloying. In fact, the sweetness diminshes in the taste--a plus as far as I'm concerned because it enabled the hops to assert themselves appropriately. A slightly bitter finish and, to me, not much chocolate!

01-22-2005 22:24:46 | More by longpondbeerman
bigbubba

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Very dark with a thick tan head. The head shrinks down a bit but then sticks around for quite a while. The smell is good, with a mix of roasted malt and chocolate and flowery hops. The taste is very good but also unusual. There is a good balance between malt and hops. The hop flavor is more floral than bitter. The mouthfeel is good. I would prefer a little more body.

01-20-2005 00:14:56 | More by bigbubba
shippos

4.65/5  rDev +12%

courtesy of clvand0

poured witha tan fluffy head that faded to an average thickness and clumpy underneath an almost black body. fresh hoppy aroma with a bitter black malt character. moderately thick mouthfeel witha an excellent blend of toasted and chocolate malts. bit on the chewy side without becoming heavy but has some sugary notes. aroma is completely opposite of the taste. grassy and hoppy and finishes with a rich malt finish. very excellent.

01-17-2005 15:14:24 | More by shippos
faernt

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Chocolate Hops! Hops in coffee! I get the pineyness of Anchor's Our Christmas Ale but then it's a big porter blast. This is an unapologetically ambiguous beer.

It starts as an opaque pour wiht a fine-bubbled, smallish head. The aroma is hoppy so I expect hop. The taste is burnt' It's coffee but the hop seems to bring out sweet. It belches hop and tastes espresso.

Ambiguity in American culture is seldom pondered. This beer is doing a noteworthy nonverbal job. It doesn't speak but it demands I do. I will seek this out next Christmas. Onece again, Three Floyds makes it big with me. It's a pleasure dto live close by.

01-15-2005 21:36:44 | More by faernt
FormatKid

Tennessee

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

I picked this up while on the East Coast for the holidays. I've been looking forward to this one for quite a bit but I wanted to figure out a good pairing for it, which I think I did. This beer pours out a deep shade of brown, so dark in fact that it might as well be black to the naked eye. Comparison to light reveals those burgandy/brown highlights. Sticky cappacino foam head here that retains very nicely, leaving fat clumps of lace on the glass as I work my way down. The nose on this beer is robust and lovely, chocked full of chocolate, nice mild coffee tones as well. It doesn't step over into imperial stout territory by getting to charred or roasty. I'd call it down right perfect as far as the smell is concerned. Tastes like no other porter I've had, the front is chocolate covered strawberries and coffee beans, nice and chewy with malts through the middle where the "Alpha" part of the name becomes apparent. The chewy milk chocolate stays present the whole time while melding with piney and grapefruity hop flavors. Bitterness levels are middling, but the flavor of the hops really shines through while playing nice with the rich and layered flavors of the malts the whole time. Wow, grab this one if you have the chance. I know I'll be snagging it up whenever I see more of it. I paired this with New York Strip steak and frites and doused just about everything in shallot/butter/bleu cheese sauce, and it rocked my world.

01-15-2005 04:21:38 | More by FormatKid
PatandDavid

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Fellow BA Quarre gave us this about a year ago (!) and we are just digging into it now. Lucky for us, it has held up very well :-) Color is dark dark root beer, it had a head to match but it's gone now, just a ring in my glass. Aroma promises all sorts of things, including dark chocolate, make it 60%. Tastewise, one is rewarded with more chocolate notes in the taste, a wider range than found in the aroma. I found the malt to be very prominent, but then the hops hit. The finish is hoppy, but not over the top. I think that's due to the malt being just so present. Solid medium mouthfeel, small fine carbonation. Drinkability is high due to the ease of which this goes down. Bring on this beer!

01-13-2005 00:17:04 | More by PatandDavid
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Dark chestnut with rubiginous highlights beneath a large, sturdy cap of light brown foam that displays admirable persistence; the gently rounded surface looks to be at the same level that it was several minutes ago. Random streaks and swirls of chunky lace stick steadfastly to the glass.

The nose is of chocolate covered hop cones and pine boughs. This is about what I expected, but it's still a treat. The sharply citric evergreen aroma is amazingly powerful, yet doesn't quite smother the roasted maltiness that identifies this as a porter. Other than restrained bittersweet chocolate, no other non-hop aromas are evident. Three Floyds and their hop obsession... gotta love 'em.

The flavor, like the nose, wields a hop cudgel and isn't afraid to swing it with force. It tastes like the brewers threw a couple of Christmas trees into the vats and let them sit for a few months. These hops are much more piney than they are citrusy; I'd be curious to know which varieties were used. Although the first several mouthfuls were almost overwhelmingly evergreen-like, I'm now able to discern the malty goodness underneath.

The first half of each mouthful is wall-to-wall hops, while the second half allows cinnamon-dusted, ground coffee bean-flecked, chocolate liqueur to strut its stuff. The malt backbone is rock solid, as it has to be to stand up to the greatest humulus lupulus assault on a porter that I've ever experienced. The mouthfeel is firmly medium with a creaminess that one usually finds only on bigger beers. If your hop tolerance is high, then this beer is as dangerously drinkable as they come.

I had a good idea what Alpha Klaus had in store before I cracked the crown, but that hasn't kept me from being impressed as hell (drinking is believing). While hops are far and away my first love, I also appreciate massively malty beer. Nothing wrong with combining the two into a two-headed beast of epic proportions. Kudos to Three Floyds for sheer audaciousness, originality and further evidence of genius. 'Christmas in a glass', 'the best of both worlds'... whatever you call it, call it great beer.

01-11-2005 22:14:34 | More by BuckeyeNation
shapudding

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

No dating, but from the 2004 batch. Poured a deep, dark, rich, black brown. Deep khaki head that settled down as a thick and creamy head, but left only a dusting with islands drifting across, and a very thick ring of large bubbles. Scents of chocolate, coffee, and darknes. Smooth, luscious creaminess and decently carbinated. Great, dark maltiness and yummy hoppiness. Wonderfully drinkable!

01-02-2005 00:12:37 | More by shapudding
clvand0

Kentucky

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Had this on tap at Rich O's Public House. Pours a very dark color with a small head that doesn't stick around too long and leaves great lacing on the sides. The aroma is very hoppy for a porter, but very nice. The flavor was much less hoppy from the aroma - very well balanced hops here. Big maltiness and creamy chocolate goodness. Wonderful body and exceptionally easy to drink. Loved this one on tap.

12-29-2004 18:40:56 | More by clvand0
sideshowrob

Maryland

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Served straight up in a standard pint glass. Poured a lovely velvety black with very little head. Smell was excellent, strong note of pine and sweet malts. Taste was superb. The exuberence of hops produced a strong spruce/pine note that made one reminice of christmas. The hop character was well balanced by the malty porter back note. A great beer. Superb mouthfeel and rather easy to dring. It's just a shame this is a seasonal, and in very limited release here in the mid-atlantic.

12-29-2004 01:34:59 | More by sideshowrob
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

An excellently hoppy porter. Spruce pine aroma. Black. A fullmouth treat of quality chocolate on the sweeter side, and hoppiness. Some roast, something dairy, ginger, cardammon, anise, cinammon, grapefruit and other citrus Thanks Wohlfs for bringing in.

12-26-2004 03:01:31 | More by Sammy
Redrover

4.15/5  rDev 0%

The beer pours jet black with a dense tan head.

Great aroma of roasted malts, some chocolate and a surprising amount of hop aroma.

Very interesting taste. My first impressions are smokey malts, but then I get some bite from the hops. Lots of roasted sweetness, but again, the hops stick their nose in to add a nice twist. Enjoy this beer at cellar temps as if it is served to cold, some of the subtleties are lost. Beer remains rock solid as you work your way through it.

The mouthfeel is oily & slick, the taste just coats your mouth. Drinkability is very good. What a great beer to have by the fire! Another winner from my favorite Hooiser brewers!

12-24-2004 02:58:26 | More by Redrover
oracle

Indiana

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

After hearing months of talk, all anxiously awaiting this particular brew, I waited breathlessly for Roger to bring me my 20 oz imperial pint (serverd in a traditional english pint glass). Maybe I need to drink more porters to compare, because this was just not quite as good as I was led to believe it was, although it is quite good. It's just not one of the all time greats.

This was a deep dark black hole of a beer, from which no light could escape. It had a 1/2 inch head of dense creamy tan foam that left slightly less lacing than I expected it to, based on the way it looked.

Smell was pleasant. Lots of sweet malt, with mild toffee and carmel notes.

Tasting this beer was a very very slight let down. I guess that based on all the comments I had been hearing, in my mind I had built this up to be the be-all and end-all of all porters. Now don't get me wrong. This is one darn fine porter. I'm just not sure it's worth getting as worked up over as some people I have seen do.

It's rich, smooth and delicious. Lots of mild sweet malt, small coffee flavor in the finish.

Overall, it's a very good beer.

12-21-2004 17:34:18 | More by oracle
Ahhdball

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Served from a 22oz bomber at close to 45 degrees in a brandy snifter. Black oily pour accompanied by a nice 2 finger beige effervescent crown. As with most of the 3 Floyds I've tried the hops came on strong in the scent of this deep brown to black selection. Pine needles, and roasted chestnuts followed subtley. Strong bittery hops grabbed the senses and clung tightly through the entire drink, never leaving the mouth but balanced throughout with a mild dose of chocolate and the aforementioned pine. After both glasses I was ready for bed. Although 7.5 abv it feels a lot heavier but not as thick or hefty as an Imperial Stout. Good for a porter but a tad too heavy on the hops to increase the numbers on the style.

12-21-2004 04:25:39 | More by Ahhdball
cerevisiaephilus

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Nice looking beer. Can just barely see through the deep garnet at the bottom of the glass when held directly up to a light. Nice beige/tan head that just covers the top of the beer. Really appropriate for a porter I think.

Definately get some hops in the nose. Big brash hops. No locos here. Also get some of the chocolate notes I think, or roasted or black patent or whatever.

Wow. That's a bitter porter. Really nice though. Its really almost an Impy stout really. Reminds me of some of the smaller impy stouts. Maybe not as agressive on the roasted notes, this still has them. Big hops bitterness and a refreshing hop flavor. Really enjoyable. But leaves a bit to be desired in the finish. Just a little rough. Might be the hop bitterness that's rough in the finish.

Mouthfeel is quite good. Little too carbonated for my tastes though. Little too prickly for all those hops. I could have the CO2 toned down just a hint.

Pretty drinkable. Definately tasty and not big enough to prevent me from having a couple bombers...but I'd definately be feeling good after more than 2 or so.

12-18-2004 01:05:13 | More by cerevisiaephilus
GCBrewingCo

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

The beer poured black with a ruby highlight and a frothy, tall, large and in charge head that lasted to coat the glass, lace it, and then laugh at it for even trying to attempt to mess with the head formation.

The aroma was hoppy, and the beer was definitely dry hopped. The grassy hop aroma was resinous and powerful. Behind the hop resins was a nice complement of coffee and chocolate that rounded out the aroma.

The flavor was nicely accomplished with a delicate balance of chocolate and bittering. The bittering was not overpowering in the flavor like the aroma might have you to believe. The hops were present and slightly grassy and worked well in balance with the chocolate and slight caramel flavors.

The finish was just dry with a lasting slight chocolate and caramel impression that dried out in the very end to chocolate and bittering. The body was medium full and well done.

22 ounce bottle. A beer with a great nose and a very well achieved balance of flavors. The alcohol never makes an appearance at the party and the drinkability due to the balance was very high.

12-15-2004 22:58:56 | More by GCBrewingCo
merlin48

Kentucky

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

What a winter treat this one is. 22 oz bomber pours a deep dark brown body that is opaque until held to the light, illuminating a ruby tinted clarity. Healthy tan head has garnet fringes and rises a few centimeters, falling into a steady cap with immense patch lacing.
Aroma is hops. Pine, spruce, and grass are obvious, and there are dark roasted malts in the background. Quite interesting to pick up such profound hop aromas from such a dark ale.
The moutfeel is exceptional. I rate a 5 for mouthfeel only when I find myself swirling a sip around in my mouth for several seconds, out of pure enjoyment, pleasure, and wonderment. This has such a mouthfeel. Medium to full bodied, with ample carbonation which bounces the hop bite off the roasted maltiness. Yummy!
Taste is more hops than roasted malt, but both are here in excellent proportion. Pine and grassy hops, with a hint of tangerine, atop a smooth chocolate malt backbone. Roasted coffee bitterness balances, but is mild in taste. Toasty barley malt flavors are constantly peaking through, but the hops really run the show here. This is really a treat to sip and savor.
Unique, fascinating, and exceptional. The best winter seasonal I've ever sampled, and I'm really fond of Mad Elf and Cold Mountain. Judicious use of hops here transforms a very good winter porter into an excellent winter seasonal. Three Floyds has really raised the bar with this superior brew. A big thank you to orbitalr0x is in order.

12-15-2004 03:41:16 | More by merlin48
mattcrill

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

A finely crafted beer with a HUGE identity problem.

Appearance: very stout-like. Very dark and black with a rocky tan head.

Smell: Pine and grapefruit. WTF??? It states on the bottle that this is an American version of a classic London ale. It also states that it has a huge chocolate taste. Well, it certainly doesn't have a huge chocolate smell. This hop profile is pretty amped up. I had to do a double take to make sure I had the right beer. Looks like a stout, smells like an IPA, and says it's a porter. What gives here?

Taste: Pine, citrus, and grapefruit dominate. I get a smattering of some baker's chocolate and a little sweetness but this is all hop driven. The chocolate does come out more as it warms but seriously folks...I've never had a porter taste like this. I had to mark it down points. Not b/c it tasted bad but just b/c it doesn't match the style at ALL.

Mouthfeel: medium-bodied and creamy. Very big and full from all the hops and malts.

Drinkability: Pretty decent but can't see making a session out of this b/c of all the hops...never thought I would write that about a porter!!

This is truly a good beer and probably deserves to be aged. But it's not a porter. If you blindfolded me and made me sip it, at the very least I would say a hopped up pale ale if not an IPA. It's not a porter. But a very interesting beer....

12-14-2004 20:48:10 | More by mattcrill
vladtheimpaler

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

22 oz bottle. Perfect thick tan head atop a beautiful brown body. Nice even carbonation. Hoppy chocolate aroma. Those hops are fresh right now for sure. Flavor is rich with chocolate. Nice hop flavor with a light bitterness. Hop flavor and roasty maltiness lingers. Thick and chewy mouth feel. Extremely drinkable and satisfying. That thick head really has staying power, and forms a nice lacing on the glass. the balance in the flavors is perfect in this one. A must have while fresh.

12-11-2004 23:00:11 | More by vladtheimpaler
Higravity

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

I got this from Cretemixer and I read some reviews before I tried it. First let me say I like the idea of a hopped-up sweet porter but the hop combo in this beer is a turn-off. My nose knows and while it poured a great dark color and creamy tan head that had staying power and left lace, this beer smelled off. I am sure I have a good bottle everything was intake and it doesn't tasted oxidized. It reminds me of a fasting beer that has a lot of extra sugar to help tide the monks over. There are plenty of roasty flavor in there but they are beaten to death by the sugar. It is definately drinkable and a rare enjoyment that I thank my fellow BA for this. I could see having one of these in the yuldetide mood, but not anytime soon.

12-10-2004 22:26:37 | More by Higravity
Bierguy5

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

22 oz. bomber. Pours a deep brown with ruby highlights at the bottom of the glass. Huge creamy tan head. Pretty good head retention, and a nice amount of lace on the sides of the glass. Smell has a whiff of chocolate, followed by an onslought of piney hops. Big hop aroma. Dry chocolate beginning, with hints of roasty malt, followed by piney and citrusy hops. Kind of like a porter with a Christmas tree in it. Medium body, moderate carbonation. Very raw and unbalanced. The hops seem to be over the top, and take away somewhat from the malt character. Not very sessionable. However, having said that, if there is any time of the year for beers to be over the top, Christmas is the time. I think that is why this works. Festive beer, certainly worth a try.

12-10-2004 03:38:54 | More by Bierguy5
HappyHourHero

Indiana

4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

Giant, dense, light chestnut colored head holds like a champ, eventually leaving a sheet of lace. Roasted malt, coffee, maybe some marshmallow in the aroma and a smell I couldn't quite place at first, but I think it's hops, kind of piney, very interesting. A pretty dry beer. Bitter chocolate and roasted malt flavor, some black licorice, some mild sweetness, and those hops all bounce back and forth melding towards the end. Body is moderate, thick for a porter. Looks great, smells great, tastes great ... this beer delivers. Very interesing mix of hops and dark malts. I had no idea what I was getting into and I'm just psyched. Gonna have to stock up.

12-10-2004 03:26:45 | More by HappyHourHero
meathookjones

This was from a 22oz bottle. After finally seeing this in a store in the area I decided to pick up a few. This pours out with a pitch-black body with a tall tan head that slowly rising from the bubbles beneath the surface. The head is still a good size even after I drank the whole glass and all the while putting huge clumps of frothy foam around the glass. This is just perfect to look at it really gets the mouth watering. Aroma is a malty mix of chocolate and caramel with strong roasted coffee presence. Wow the hops are just as strong here with notes of earthy and floral hops coming through all that malt. This is quite a bit to take in and I wasn’t sure what to make of it at first but it is amazing. The taste is an amazing blend of fresh hops and chocolate malt with both coming on strong. It took me a while to really take this all in but damn this is good. The hops cut though the strong malt to make themselves known and add a wonderful contrast. Flavor ends on a lingering earthy bitter note. Mouthfeel is about full and quite coating that makes the taste stick with you. This is something I could drink all day, huge malts, huge hops and it blends together wonderfully. Simple amazing.

12-08-2004 21:43:14 | More by meathookjones