Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Ratings: 2,009 | Reviews: 729
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Been drinking the Alpha Klaus for several years now, but after quite some time on the site, I've finally started keeping some notes....so here goes.

Drank this one at Sonka Irish Pub, here in Terre Haute. Poured a deep dark brown into a standard pint glass. A two finger cream head sticks around for the majority of this session. On the lower end of the carbonation scale the Alpha Klaus left a thick, sticky, spider web lace along the top 2/3 of my pint. What a great looking beer!

This beer has changed over the years. The substantial piney hops have given way to a bit more citrus. As you know, Three Floyd's loves to pound the hops, and this beer is no exception. The pine is still there, don't get me wrong, but the prominent smell has moved toward the citrus. Getting your nose in there gets you that maltiness you'd expect from a porter, but you have to work at it. This is one of the things I love about Three Floyd's - they take a beer, hop the hell out of it, and pull it off time after time.

Still a fantastic tasting brew. This is one of those beers that really throws a curveball at you. If you were to base your taste "guess" solely on the appearance, you'd probably be way off. I've had dozens of these over the years and every time I have to do a double take after my first swig. Once you get past the hops, a malty sweetness turns to a slight coffee before making a clean and quick exit. This really is a crisp beer that punches you in the mouth before slipping out the back of the bar, leaving you to wonder what the hell just happened.

I could sit back and drink several of these fine beers. It is medium bodied and pours right down. I know a lot of people compare this to a heavier stout, but I actually lean in the other direction a bit. While the appearance and the middle taste might emulate a stout, the hoppiness, citrus smell/taste, and clean finish impersonate an IPA. All in all, this is one captivating brew.

I highly recommend giving this one a shot off the tap, if possible. I find it to be a lot more crisp and clean than the bottled version, although just as tasty.

Consumed - 12/12/09

3.11/5  rDev -24.5%

(From Notes)
22oz bomber, split among two people.

Smell, very sweet coffee, semi-tart smell also present.

Taste, this one has a very interesting flavor, even for 3F. That semi-tart flavor hits a big chord, followed by a very, very strong fruity flavor, I was puzzled deeply drinking this beer. The usual coffee and chocolate flavors that you would find in most examples of the style must have gotten lost on their way to the brew kettle.

Overall, a very interesting beer to say the least. If you gave this beer to someone without telling them what it was, its a 10-1 shot they would say its a porter. I dug this beer only for it being unique, I wouldn't buy it again anytime soon and could never finish a whole bomber on my own.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bomber into my New Belgium tulip

Pours a dark brown, almost black with almost an inch of tan foam. Leaves nice lacing on the glass

Smells of hops, moreso than I would expect based off the appearance

Taste is dominated by hops upfront but before you realize it transforms into mild coffee and chocolate, not overly sweet

I could drink this beer without much problem. I'm not always in the mood for that flavor profile but when I am it will be a nice option. I have another bottle chilling in the basement so we'll see what it's like in a bit.

Another solid offering from FFF

4.44/5  rDev +7.8%

3 Floyds Alpha Klaus was one of the few beers that really surprised me in 2011. I had it for the first time during our NYE celebration and split it amongst a few friends. I decided that with my last bomber I would be selfish and write up a proper review.

It's really a great looking Porter. Dark like a fine cup of Joe, Alpha Klaus is topped with a thick cappuccino-colored head. The head dies off eventually to just a skimming but spiderwebs fantastically.

With a bouquet filled with hops, 3 Floyds stays true to their uncompromising modi operandi. Roasted barley takes place center stage along with a nose full of piney/earthy, floral and juicily citric hops. I don't know how to say this without sounding weird, but this is a juicy smelling porter. Lots of great caramel and coffee notes come through as well and help make this solidly an "A" beer.

First thing to hit the palate are definitely the notes of roasted coffee. Mouthful after mouthful, roasted barley and chocolate malt are the key players well-rounded with earthy hops. Though there seems to be a lot of hop aroma in the nose, hops don't overwhelm the mouth. They don't underwhelm either. A little bit of citrus, a good amount of pine and just the right bittering.. I don't use the word 'awesome' to describe a beer too often but... Awesome.

Smooth, a bit creamy and highly drinkable makes 3 Floyds Alpha Klaus Christmas Porter a clear winner in my humble opinion. Though I'm always willing to share, I was glad to have this bomber all for myself.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

During the holiday season I enjoyed this both on-tap and from a bottle (I really got behind at transferring my notes to the site). This review is based on a 22 oz. bottle. The familiar "Alpha King" exchanges his crown for a Santa hat on another of Three Floyd's great looking labels. Pours a dark, dark brown with a thick frothy tan/off-white head. Hoppy floral aroma and citrus scents make themselves known right away--a bit reminiscent of Dreadnaught in smell. Tastes very nicely of chocolatey roasted malt with a great hop finish. This is a smooth, highly drinkable, and very enjoyable beer. Overall this was definitely one of my favorites of the Christmas season and I am definitely looking forward to having it again next year.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle Pours a clear dark brown with a fizzy light brown head. Head is pretty diminishing with good lacing. Has a great malty aroma of good chocolate. Has a little grain too and just enough hops to keep in blended very nicely. Has a thin texture and a mediun body. A decent amount of carbination. Has good flavors. Definately not a beer that would make you afraid of the dark. Has a nice light bitter finish. This is very good, well done 3F’s.

3.52/5  rDev -14.6%

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

Poured an extremely dark, non-translucent brown that created a large tannish mocha colored head. The dense consistent foam left a respectable, even head that stuck with the beer. The immediate aromas of robust floral hops are very welcoming followed with hints of caramel, roast and chocolate. The overwhelming onset of hops is great. Generally I find porters to have a less potent hop note that is drowned out by the darker smells. The taste mirrors the smell with immediate hops trailed by the coffee tastes. The mouthfeel is great with slight bitterness, slight maltiness and a tingling sensation. The taste fleets leaving a chocolate mint end. A cool beer with very differing yet complimentary elements.

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours deep dark brown, almost black, with a off-white head that holds a decent cap throughout the glass. Aroma is a great mix of big hops and big roast malt character. Flavor is very much the same, with the hops coming up front, followed closely by a big roast malt flavor, with lots of coffee like notes. Body is medium.

4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Had a nice dark brown almost the color of black coffee, a nice mocha colored head that had a slight head on a light pour with some lacing.

S - The smell of this beer is very malty with notes of dark chocolate and coffee are the most prevalent, a Pine like smell brought out the Christmas in this Porter. Hops were also big as is the case with most 3 Floyd's beers.

T - Hops, Pine, and follows the nose it is slightly tangy maybe a grapefruit type of hops. Thoroughly enjoyed this bomber. a

M - A full bodied feel with a pleasant cream taste and good carbonation.

O - I really liked this Porter, not the typical one of its class but a good production none the less.

3.89/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours very dark but not quite opaque, with a thin head that falls rather quickly. Aroma is of chocolate, some malt, and fruity cherry. Flavor starts with a chocolatey roast character, as it warms more complexity starts to show, with a touch of cinnamon and some oily hoppy notes.

Overall, certainly a nice and respectable porter, but not something I would really go out of my way for. I've found other FFF beers more enjoyable.

4.08/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours with a black body, mocha colored head. Great looking porter body that is dense and without any red. Lacing is fantastic on the glass.

S: Roasty, smoke and some milk notes. Very subtle nose that is not overly aromatic.

T/M: Wow, this has a great roasted coffee flavor right up front. Semi-drying flavors on the palate. Also get some good smoke flavors. The roasted flavors do overpower a lot of the other flavors, but I still get some milk/lactic flavors in this one. Great smooth body with some bitter notes and a nice finish.

D: Very drinkable beer that really was nice to sit down to. Easy to kill the bomber yourself and the flavor is very robust.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured thick and creamy into the glass with a nice thick head. It smelled divine as it poured into the glass with the aromas of roasted grains, chococlate and coffee. Rich coffee and chocolate flavours to start, but a wave of hop bitterness slowly took over. It finishes slightly dry and bitter which lingers in the mouth for a while. Very well balanced. Highly drinkable.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Served straight up in a standard pint glass. Poured a lovely velvety black with very little head. Smell was excellent, strong note of pine and sweet malts. Taste was superb. The exuberence of hops produced a strong spruce/pine note that made one reminice of christmas. The hop character was well balanced by the malty porter back note. A great beer. Superb mouthfeel and rather easy to dring. It's just a shame this is a seasonal, and in very limited release here in the mid-atlantic.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Much anticipated treat for Christmas day, courtesy of nisjer05.

Cool label, as the case with all Three Floyds beers!!!
Very dark brown color, almost black, but not quite. A decent one inch tan colored head that dissappated quickly. Not much lacing.

Great smell, a combination of coffee, chocolate, with piney floral accents.

Awesome taste, first it hits you with roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate. It ends with a perfect amount of piney hop bitterness. Very well balanced!!!

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and not too heavy.

Great drinkability, if I had more of this beer, I would have drank more. Not filling and very easy too drink. Overall a great brew from Three Floyds. I must find some more of this treat before the holiday season is over. A must try!!!

3.77/5  rDev -8.5%

I bought this bottle at Lone Hill Liquors in Glendora, CA.
I was excited for this since Stan pulled it out of his personal stash from the back. Came with a $13.99 price tag.
Looked about like every other porter in the world, dark brown, almost black with a big tan head that stayed for a while.
Smell was good, lots of roasted malts and hops
Taste was good but way less than what I expected
Mouthfeel was preety good. Full but smooth and slick
Drinkablity was good. It's a good beer but nothing spectacular.
It's tough to live up to the 3F name and this is the only beer from Munster that has not really thrilled me. I love 3F's use of hops, but it seems a little excessive in the Porter.
Can't wait to try again the Dark Lord, Dreadnaught, Gumballhead, Behomthe Blonde, Robert the Bruce and Alpha King though. I have been fortunate enough to try many of the hard to find (in the West) beers from 3F, and I want more

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Executive Summary: A finely crafted holiday porter. Makes you wish Christmas was year-round.

Appearance: Poured an aggressively frothy deep, opaqueish brown with amber/ruby highlights around the edge. Tan head is ample and resembles, at times, that of a soda poured atop ice cream.

Smell: Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and a bit of hoppiness, which is a bit unique among porters. Should be interesting.

Taste: First thing from the initial sip that stands out is the bitterness of the hops. This is not your normal porter! Not so bitter as to detract from the rest of the proceedings, but enough to make it unique and memorable. Nice job there. So the whole sip goes like this: some initial sweetness that carries with it some serious chocolate is eventually replaced by some true hop flavor. Coffee seems to develop next and bridge you to the bitterness provided by the hops. This is a pretty sweet ride.

Mouthfeel: A little heavy on the carbonation for my tastes, but not bad. Light overall body, which is what I look for in a good porter (otherwise I'd be hitting the stouts).

Drinkability: Once you can get past the monumental head, it's a very drinkable porter indeed. Great flavor combinations and a few differentiating characteristics make this one that holds your interest.

4.54/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Poured the last third of a bottle into a wine globe. It formed a half finger tan head. The head faded fairly quickly to a thin trace with a little bit of lacing. Color is similar to a strong dark roast coffee.

S - The smell is this beer's forte. Great citrus hop and sweet malt nose with notes of vanilla and anise. Outstanding.

T - Roasty malts up front with hints of coffee and brown sugar with a very nice piney hop finish. Slightly smokey malt is there in the finish as well. It has great balance. The smell had me anticipating a sweet beer but the sweetness level is just right.

M - Very smooth with medium-heavy body and medium carbonation. Alcohol warmth is slight in the finish.

D - Very nice beer. I wasn't expecting a porter with this much hops but it was very tasty. It kind of blurs the lines between porter and black IPA. It's quite drinkable. A whole bomber in one sitting would be no trouble.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Bought this beauty of a bottle from Lone Hill Liquor, which I've been meaning to visit again. Bottle shows a hobgoblin type creature like the one that threatened Shatner in that Twilight Zone episode.

Pours a beautiful black with a tan head. Very little lacing, but viscous texture to the beer.

Smells of roasted chestnuts, chocolate, molasses, and coffee beans.

Here's where it gets good: chocolate, nuts, espresso, and that great taste of figs or other ripe fruit. A great porter, all in all.

Mouthfeel is lighter than other porters I've had, with a great little tingle of carbonation near the end.

If I didn't have to drive to Glendora for these, I'd drink them all the time.

2.47/5  rDev -40%

The stuff tasted like it had something off in it. My buddy said it tasted like it had weed in the batch.

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

Had this on-tap. Dark, dark black color with hints of brown and orange. No head, but a little bit of thin froth floating around on top. Smell was intriguing. I was not expecting this strong of a hop presence in a porter. Chocolate, toffee, caramel, and coffee all made their expected appearances, but the hops caught me off guard. They were fresh and piny. Interesting. After tasting it, I was more than grateful for the strong hop presence. Added a very nice balance to the strong malt backbone. After the first sip, I could not help but immediately look at the drink in admiration. Medium bodied and extremely drinkable. I think I may have found a holiday tradition. A porter for hopheads.

4.26/5  rDev +3.4%

My brother brought this from chicago when he came home for the holidays. my first FFF beer.

A: Surpringly black, almost no ruby hues in this beer. Very nice inch of creamy brown head. The head on this beer sticks around longer, and leaves more consistent lace behind than almost anything else. superb.

S: maple, coffee, light grains. sweet sugars.

T: I feel like most porters out there dont know what they are: are they a light stout? are they supposed to be sweet? dry? this one knows whats going on. its dark and roasty but dry and lighter than its sweeter cousin. its got more hop bitterness than its close relative, dry stouts. It finishes dry and roasty but with sweet notes dance, exceptional balance.

M: Lighter than you might think, maybe because theres more carbonation than dark stouts of this color.

D: Very drinkable for 7.5%. ALthough, after half of the bottle I begin to notice lingering sweet notes dont dry off the palate like they did earlier. Doesnt take away from the tastes but it does from the drinkability.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer as when I opened it I didnt think I had an A beer in my hand.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to krisandajt for this bottle in an in-person trade!

A: Poured pitch black with a mocha colored, frothy head that clung to the walls of the glass.

S: Before I poured this beer I took a quick wiff from the bottle and quickly said, "Oh wow! Hops!". After the initial blast of hops, the dark chocolate malts come through. The malty aroma is one that is very sweet, I'm not picking up much roast, if any at all.

T: Wow, my initial shock of the taste is also how I feel when it comes to my first sip. There is an insane amount of flavoring hops. The hop character consists of grapefruit and grassy flavors. Backing up the big hops is a pleasant, dark chocolate malt presence. Here's the kicker, and why there are dark chocolate malts instead of regular or milk chocolate malts; there is very minimal hop bitterness, just hop flavor and aroma. The bitterness in this beer, IMO, is from the bitter dark chocolate flavoring. There is also a hint of vanilla in there as well. The flavor of this beer is definitely unique, for better or for worse.

M: The mouthfeel is smooth, medium-bodied, and leaves hop resin in the mouth afterwards. I am not used to this amount of hop oiliness in this style of beer.

D: This beer is most definitely a style bender with the massive amount of hops involved. Once I finished the first first half of the bomber, I promptly reached for the rest and made a pour. While this isn't a typical Porter, it is one that I did enjoy, being the hop head that I am.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

2008 Alpha Klaus aged a little over a year (about 3 months in my beer fridge, can't speak for the other 12 months prior to the bottle coming into my possession). 22oz. bottle poured into a New Holland High Gravity Series glass (sort of a hybrid between a flute and a tulip, not exactly sure what type of glass it is)

A: deep, dark brown, practically black. Thick yet airy caramel foam builds quickly and lasts through a warm-up period and the first couple of sips. Lacing is spotty at best.

S: balanced aromas of milk chocolate and lightly roasted coffee, with some subtle hints of herbal hops and even a bit of vanilla. As I agitate the glass to pull out more aromas, I get an unpleasant scent of cabbage- though only during the agitation and it fades quickly so I'm not going to dock any point for this.

T: like chocolate covered coffee beans, that's about as best as I can put it. As with the aromas, Alpha Klaus exhibits a nice balance of sweet and roasted malts. As it warms, the roasted malts take over and a pleasant dark coffee bitterness comes through.

M: smooth and creamy with a pleasant hop oil slickness. Carbonation is mild though actually increases a bit at it warms. Body is definitely in the medium range, not too thick but hefty enough for a cold Chicago night.

D: I love a good porter and I love most of what Three Floyd's does so there's no doubt I expect to enjoy this one every year. It's been some time since I've had a fresh one and my next order of business will be to locate a bottle of the 2009. This bottle of Alpha Klaus has held up well to a year on the shelf, but I know I've had better. Smooth, creamy and flavorful without any one aspect taking too much control, Alpha Klaus is well balanced and highly enjoyable.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Christmas in July, O boy!

Bomber baby

This pours an incredibly dark color, it is oil black with a brown cream foam head looks amazing to me. I smell malts and hops in a balanced fashion , more malt though and they're roasted with a semi chocolate smell!

I've never had a porter before, but if this is a prototype or anything like the others this will be the beer for me. It's delicious. The taste of sweet malt rushes to the toungue followed by a rich chocolate taste that ends with a semi hoppy finish, floral hops? just like alpha king.
This sticks around in your mouth for a little bit and gets sticky fast ;heavy body. Tastes like it would go great with food , probaly ice cream too haha. I suggest eating or drinking water with this.

Drinks very well and smoothly for a little above average abv. . I'll be getting alot of these from the pub in december with some pizza.

Yet another bold and balanced one from my friends down the street.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at 3Floyds last night. Had about a 1/2" light tan head, very tight carbonation. Left a good amount lacing. Smells like fruit, spices. Tastes somewhat sweet, roasty, chocolaty and malty. After spending a half hour riding to the bar in 35 degree weather on my motorcycle, this was very warming! After the first sip, you feel much better. The mouthfeel lost a little in my opinion, there was less carbonation than I expected and it felt a little slick going down. Almost oily. I got used to it though, honestly I wouldn't change a thing about this beer. I could easily spend a snowy afternoon drinking these over at 3F!

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.