Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Reviews: 721 | Hads: 2,021
4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle. Christmas came a little early for my this weekend. Santa was very good to me indeed. Wrapped up inside this gift was a jet black body with a tight tan head. Notes of chocolate, dark sugars, roasted malts and winter spices. Smooth and creamy. I'm glad the holidays are right around the corner so I can pick up another one of these. (338 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -12.2%

Bomber poured into Duvel tulip.

AK pours the darkest brown color, if not all-out black. Generous amount of head is also present: 1.5 inches, dark cream colored. Nice aroma on this one: roasty malts dominate. Taste offers more of the roasty malts, with a bit of earthy hops on the back end. Mouthfeel is on the thin side of medium.

Glad that I tried it, but I will stick more to RIS offerings, especially for the price. (420 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Serving 22OZ Bomber bottle.

Appearance- Pours Black with a half finger tanish head. I see no light shining through at all even when held directly up to a dim light.

Smell- Hints of chocolate, sugar, hops and malt.

Taste- Alot like the nose, I get hints of chocolate, and sugar, hints of coffee as well. The Malt comes through nicely. Ever so slight hit of bitterness as the flavors subside. Bitterness is very mild to me, and I do not like bitter beers.

Mouthfeel- Wow, as this hits your mouth it feels fantastic. Slight carbonation, feels nice and creamy similar to a mocha.

Overall- I think this is a great beer. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it certainly made me wanting more. I will be picking more of this up to set back. (736 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -8.9%

Served in a tulip.

APPEARANCE

The beer is very dark and it looks thick, much like a stout. The head was huge, light brown, and has tiny bubbles which makes it look like a big fluffy pillow. Lacing was pretty high, and this beer looks gorgeous!

SMELL

Tons of chocolate in this guy. It's a nice sweet and milky chocolate smell, and is followed by slight coffee smell. There is a nice citrus hop smell that's to be expected with a Three Floyds beer. Very nice roasted malt notes. It smells wonderful!

TASTE

Chocolate is the number one flavor in this beer. It starts off as a nice milky taste, then finishes as a bitter dark chocolate. There's some nice coffee notes as well as some lovely citrus hops. I don't taste any Mexican sugar, but I'm assuming that it fermented out. This is a really nice porter!

MOUTHFEEL

This beer is very drinkable. It starts off with a nice medium body, but finishes dry and bitter. It's not as thick as it looks, but the small bubbles make it slightly creamy.

OVERALL

Fantastic porter! It's. It's a nice balance between bitter and sweetness, and it would work well as an after dinner beer. The citrus hops are nice, and they don't overpower at all. Very nice "festive cousin" to Alpha King!

Cheers. (1,238 characters)

Being a fan of Alpha King, I was looking forward to trying this beer. I poured this out of a bomber into a goblet glass and it was bitter dark brown with quite a head - two-and-half to three fingers worth, slowly gurgling down to a thin film on top.

The smell was roasty - definitely hoppy with some coffee and roasted flavors. The hops added a new dimension to this porter, but felt overpowering. I wonder if it needs mellowing out, or if it's meant to be had fresh. It's definitely sweet and bitter to dry. I'd drink it again, but during the season. It's a seasonal beer for sure, as it's name implies. (605 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Pertinent Preliminary Comments: Many thanks to Chazwicke for sending this along.

A hallowed brew that I’ve had once before. Three Floyds is one of those breweries that, somehow, someway, can’t manage to make a bad or even mediocre beer. Nothing like a Christmas porter at the end of April, but what the heck…

APPEARANCE: Jet-frickin’ black. If I squint, I can see ruby mahogany highlights when held to the light. Serious tan head, fantastic lacing.

AROMA: WHOA. Malt, coffee, chocolate, molasses, dark fruit, hops, this baby has it all.

FLAVOR: Wow… reading the tasting notes from the BJCP, I could almost copy it straight over. Hoppy, sure, but a good sweet-but-roasted black malt vibe. Good dry finish. Smooth all the same. Espresso and chocolate are strong here. Never knowingly had a beer that used Mexican sugar, but I think I can taste it as well in the complex sweetness. Maybe not. It’s a great blend either way. There’s still head at the bottom of the pint! Now THAT’S staying power.

MOUTHFEEL: Very smooth. Good proper weight; somewhat high carbonation.

DRINKABILITY: At 7.5% ABV, it’s not quite a session beer, but it’s not supposed to be. This is a Winter Warmer of a porter, and on a chilly night in Indiana, this gets my first choice.

OVERALL COMMENTS: This beer is stellar in every way – it’s got it all. Not a weak link anywhere to be had. Nothing like Three Floyds, man – even on a warm Sunday afternoon, this beer hits the spot. Now we just have to get them to distribute to Colorado. (1,536 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bottle of this when I was recently in Cleveland. More than excited to see it and try it.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours jet black with a small, but lasting off-white head. Other reviews really made it seem like there was tons of carbonation, but mine was a perfect amount. Maybe from the age.

Beautiful nose to it. Coffee, chocolate and a surprising amount of hops.

First taste surprised me, unlike most porters where it's all roast, this one was a solid hop bitterness. Taste like Northern Brewer. Excellent. Hops was of course followed by a wonderful chocolate and roasted malt flavors. Hops rule this one though. Probably the most noticeable hop presence I've had in a porter/stout.

Mouth feel was thick and enjoyable. Carbonation was perfect and really brought out the aroma.

Final verdict, a really good beer. Not like any porter I've had. Maybe not something I'd crave every day, but for the cold night I was drinking it on while homebrewing, this was perfect. I paid $9 for this bottle though which I think is entirely to much. I do dislike that about 3 Floyds. I can't blame them, with the demand they have it's more than understandable. Just hard to know I could have bought 2 Old Viscosity's for the price of this, which is a much better beer. (1,298 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Deep brown to black in color the beer poured a 1/2" brown head with small tight bubbles that left some nice lacing.

S- Sweet malt, piney hops, campfire smoke and chocolate ice cream that was all very balanced.

T&M- Medium body and light on its feet with very good concentration of flavor in the midpalate. The flavors from the nose continue along with some roasted expresso.

D- This is not a thick, heavy porter rather one of wonderful balance and lightness though full of flavor. This really is easy to drink and should hold well for years to come. (563 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

2010 Vintage 22oz bottle poured into a 12oz snifter.

A- Black with a mocha head that disappears, turn away for a second and it is gone. Ever so slight lacing of head.

S- Strong molasses with a slight hint of citrus hops. Hints of espresso also come through the longer it sits.

T- Warms me up on a snowy evening in February. Plenty of roasted malt at the front gives way to a pleasant citrus taste. Also a little bitter chocolate comes through.

M- little to no carbonation. A nice body that is pleasant on he tongue.

D- I look forward to next years release. It is a enjoyable porter with a nice hop. I gladly pick one up every time I see it on the shelf. (659 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

2007 Edition, decided to kick off the holiday week of beer with a FFF Alpha Klaus. I was a little worried that this one sat too long but once I popped the top and the aroma of coffee and chocolate filled the air. Poured black with a beast of a head that overflowed my Corsendonk snifter. Aromas are coffee, roasted malts, and an underlying sweetness. Flavor is bitter chocolate up front highly carbonated on the palate and believe it or not hops are still present. Finish is all roast and a slight burn from the alcohol but no real alcohol flavor. A top notch porter. FFF does it again. (586 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Bomber I picked up last year...last one left.

A - On the pour this one easily hit a three finger head. After it settled down, I topped it off and really liked the light brown head. The carbonation is very fine - looks like latte foam on top of a beer that is dark as night. Not a lot of lacing.

S - I get some milk chocolate, ligher roast coffee, and dark fruits in the nose. There's a very mild floral hoppiness to it, but quite understated. The slighest hit of spice - cardamom, ginger, cinnamon. A hint of alcohol as well. The nose is nicely nuanced.

T - Yum. This is great. Faint chocolate and dark fruits to start, complemented by some lightly roasted malt notes. The spiciness come mid-palate, with sticky caramel and toffee. The finish transitions to slightly bitter, smokey, nutty, and warming with very subtle hints of alcohol.

M - Super smooth. Coats the entire palate and the moderate carbonation helps it flow right through from start to finish. Really nice mouthfeel for the style.

D - This was quite good - excellent actually. Among the best in a style that I really enjoy. Pretty easy drinking considering the ABV. (1,135 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

And here we go, okay: Tastes are really neat smoked malt, light and dark chocolates, brown sugar -- dark/darker (than normal), astringent and grassy hops, light booze, hiding caramel, ginger, more hops, coffee malt, medium roast beans, rubber, cream and fudge. (260 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

22 oz bottle. Perfect thick tan head atop a beautiful brown body. Nice even carbonation. Hoppy chocolate aroma. Those hops are fresh right now for sure. Flavor is rich with chocolate. Nice hop flavor with a light bitterness. Hop flavor and roasty maltiness lingers. Thick and chewy mouth feel. Extremely drinkable and satisfying. That thick head really has staying power, and forms a nice lacing on the glass. the balance in the flavors is perfect in this one. A must have while fresh. (485 characters)

This is Three Floyds winter offering for the holiday season. This beer pours with a dark almost opaque viscosity. Hints of chocolate and roasted flavors. A subtle hop flavor that fits to the porter style. Very drinkable beer for the winter season. I was also lucky enough to try this beer at the brewery (303 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

22oz bottle of 2005 and 2006
Pours a jet black and a very nice tan head that falls with nice lacing. Excellent looking porter.
The 2006 has a huge nose of Simcoe hops. The taste is initially the same as the smell....all hops. That quickly fads into a nice mild porter flavor. It is a little thinner that I had expected at 7.5% alcohol, but it is very well hidden. Ends with a nice bittering and is very nice. Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, but the drinkability is excellent.
The 2005 has lost almost all of its hop smell and smells like a traditional porter: dark roasted malts, chocolate, java. Taste follows the smell, almost no hops in the profile....it is all malt. The mouthfeel is on the thin side, but still nice. Drinkability is good, but I think I definitely prefer this one fresh. It is not bad with a year of age, but it kind of tastes average. The fresh beer is definitely better and very interesting. It is amazing the difference between the two after just a year. (989 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

A darker than cola brown with a head that doesn't die. It leaves some decent lacing as well.

Honestly this smells like a Snickers bar to me haha. I get chocolate, nuts, and caramel with some creamy roastiness. Also a hint of spicy hops.

It tastes really similar to the smell. A really great chocolate and roasty flavor with some nuttiness and a dry slightly hoppy finish.

Nice and creamy and smooth. Easy to down with not a hint of the 7.5% abv.

One of the best porters I've had to date. I've only had this one with some age on it but it is excellent. (556 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Poured a dark body which appeared almost solid black, but when held up to light, allows the tiniest glimmer of light to shine through. The pour produced a thick, mocha colored two finger head.

S- Chocolate and roasted malts mostly dominate the aroma. Sweet caramel malts, and citrus and earthy hops poke through in the background. Smells very complex.

T- Wonderful. Dark chocolate, caramel, and roasted coffee malt flavors immediately strike the palate. The bitter sweetness of the malts is counter-balanced by a perfect amount of citrus hop flavors lingering in the backbone. The finish is bittersweet and slightly citusy.

M- Undoubtedly the best quality of this beer, absolutely perfect. Carbonation is spot on for the style. This beer is as creamy as I've ever tasted. Almost leaves a coating in your mouth after swallowing.

D-I'm more than likely going to grab another one before my local liquor store closes. (921 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

First encounter was a bottle provided by Opski Rock...

A: This beer poured a deep brown with a nice brown/tan/ head.

S: Dark chocolate and, toasty malt, english toffee and coffee.

T: Nice hoppy porter, as expected judging by the name, not overpowering the malt. Very well balanced.

M: Let this one sit on the tounge, enjoyable.

D: Sipping on this one slowly, you can drink a few in a session. Very, very good porter.

I will hopefully be able to land a case of the 2006 variety.... (499 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +7.9%

SCORE!!! I found this marked down to $5 (from $9) because it is now out of season. "Silly fools," I say. "This is one of my top 3 porters and it should still be good even this late in the year."

Pours almost black into a Duvel tulip with a one-finger brown head that eventually settles into a milky froth that coats the surface.

Inhaling deeply through the nose reveals a rich, sweet aroma of malty sativa buds, foreshadowing the hoppy goodness I am about to enjoy.

Starts out tasting like a thick IPA, then quickly morphs into a slightly sweet malt and finishes with a Sumatra coffee aftertaste that lingers on.

Mouthfeel is of moderate thickness with a touch of creamy froth.

This is a very drinkable porter, despite its 7.5% ABV content. They should really make this year-round. Instead, I will continue to enjoy it during my December rituals during the Sunday afternoon football game - and occasionally score the occasional discounted bottle in late spring. (966 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

This was my first Three Floyds purchase. Naturally, I had heard a lot of the brewery, so when I came across a case of this at the Beer Yard, I couldn't pass it up. At any rate...pours a beautiful dark opaque brown with rusty highlights around the edges. Super soft, light brown head that has a wonderful thickness to it. Looks like something I'd want to put on top of some chocolate cake. Smells immediately like I'm in a backwoods hop patch. And, unfortunately, I hate to be cliche, but it does smell like Christmas. Super, smooth creamy mouthfeel transports a huge delivery of roasty, chocolatey, caramel malt into the palate. Not too far behind is the surprising hop presence. Very hoppy for a porter. I even has a bit of that stringent porter character, which I'm not always a fan of, but its pulled off with perfection here. I'm assuming its the other flavors that balancecd it. The beer finishes with a nice dry touch and a lingering aftertaste of dry, dark cocoa powder. Man, this stuff is just amazing, its unlike any other porter I've had. (1,048 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured at celler temp into 2 snifters.

Dark black with an off-white head which turns quickly into a thin layer.

Coffee is the dominant aroma, with other warm roasted malts, a floral hop note, and a slight sourness.

This turns out to be a somewhat classic, light-bodied, coffee, smokey porter. Not quite as special as I was hoping, but still good. My wife, who knew what was coming next, immediately set it down figuring it wasn't worth the calories. My reaction wasn't nearly that strongly negative - but I like a porter.

Light, with high carbonation. A little mouth-coating, but minor.

Easy drinking, though not terribly interesting.

There are several other porters I'd much rather drink. Somewhat of a letdown.

http://foodbeertravel.wordpress.com/2009/01/10/alpha-klaus/ (779 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Included and recommended by Gratefulbeerhead.... Thanks Eric! I really enjoyed this one. Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Black appearance with dark tan head. Pours to 1/2 inch of head with good retention. The aroma is dominated by coffee and chocolate, and the taste is very similar, dominated by coffee and chocolate as well. Very good porter, sweet with a domination of malt on the tongue. Mouthfeel is perfect for a porter and the drinkability is exceptional for a porter. (488 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance -- Pours a deep midnight black with a thick, creamy, two finger light-brown head. It looks pretty good. Can't wait to try it. Nice lacing.

Smell -- Initial smell is light hops followed by chocolate. The chocolate scent is more pronounced as the porter warms. The hops are distinct but I am not good with identifying all hop varieties. Reminds me in a way of how Alpha King smells, but not as strong.

Taste -- Burnt chocolate, coffee, and some bitterness. Reminds me of excellent porters like GL's Edmund Fitzgerald. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel -- A little more on the heavier side. Slightly chewy and creamy.

Drinkability -- This one is very quaffable. If it didn't cost $8 for a bomber I'd probably purchase more. I've got one more bottle I'll save for closer to Christmas. In many ways it reminds me of Edmund Fitzgerald. A nice offering from Three Floyds but due to the cost and similarity to Edmund Fitzgerald, I won’t be purchasing it again anytime soon. (982 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured- a dark black with a thick tan head. good amount of lace
smell- aroma includes coffee, chocolate, roasted malts and hops
taste- . very interesting for a porter chocolate, coffee,roasted malts some toffee and big hop flavors also
mouthfeel- good body and carbonation.
drinkability- another great beer by fff's. goes down way to easy for a 7.5%. (350 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Vintage: 2010

Serving Type: 22oz Bomber poured into a Tulip glass.

A: A very rich, dark brown with about 2 inches of light, sandy-color head. Lacing is ample.

S: The aroma of hops is present, but is quickly overpowered by coffee and roasted chocolate.

T: Hit with a tiny, bitter hop taste as it hits my tongue. A sweet, fruity roasted malt dominates.

M: Creamy with tiny bubbles introduce themselves to my tongue. A heavey, medium body Porter that finishes a little dry.

D: Very drinkable! Looking forward to Christmas 2011!! Kidding...let's enjoy some sunshine in 2011 first! A great way to start the weekend. (616 characters)

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.