Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Reviews: 722 | Hads: 2,023
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

2007 Edition, decided to kick off the holiday week of beer with a FFF Alpha Klaus. I was a little worried that this one sat too long but once I popped the top and the aroma of coffee and chocolate filled the air. Poured black with a beast of a head that overflowed my Corsendonk snifter. Aromas are coffee, roasted malts, and an underlying sweetness. Flavor is bitter chocolate up front highly carbonated on the palate and believe it or not hops are still present. Finish is all roast and a slight burn from the alcohol but no real alcohol flavor. A top notch porter. FFF does it again.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Bomber I picked up last year...last one left.

A - On the pour this one easily hit a three finger head. After it settled down, I topped it off and really liked the light brown head. The carbonation is very fine - looks like latte foam on top of a beer that is dark as night. Not a lot of lacing.

S - I get some milk chocolate, ligher roast coffee, and dark fruits in the nose. There's a very mild floral hoppiness to it, but quite understated. The slighest hit of spice - cardamom, ginger, cinnamon. A hint of alcohol as well. The nose is nicely nuanced.

T - Yum. This is great. Faint chocolate and dark fruits to start, complemented by some lightly roasted malt notes. The spiciness come mid-palate, with sticky caramel and toffee. The finish transitions to slightly bitter, smokey, nutty, and warming with very subtle hints of alcohol.

M - Super smooth. Coats the entire palate and the moderate carbonation helps it flow right through from start to finish. Really nice mouthfeel for the style.

D - This was quite good - excellent actually. Among the best in a style that I really enjoy. Pretty easy drinking considering the ABV.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

And here we go, okay: Tastes are really neat smoked malt, light and dark chocolates, brown sugar -- dark/darker (than normal), astringent and grassy hops, light booze, hiding caramel, ginger, more hops, coffee malt, medium roast beans, rubber, cream and fudge.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

22 oz bottle. Perfect thick tan head atop a beautiful brown body. Nice even carbonation. Hoppy chocolate aroma. Those hops are fresh right now for sure. Flavor is rich with chocolate. Nice hop flavor with a light bitterness. Hop flavor and roasty maltiness lingers. Thick and chewy mouth feel. Extremely drinkable and satisfying. That thick head really has staying power, and forms a nice lacing on the glass. the balance in the flavors is perfect in this one. A must have while fresh.

This is Three Floyds winter offering for the holiday season. This beer pours with a dark almost opaque viscosity. Hints of chocolate and roasted flavors. A subtle hop flavor that fits to the porter style. Very drinkable beer for the winter season. I was also lucky enough to try this beer at the brewery

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

22oz bottle of 2005 and 2006
Pours a jet black and a very nice tan head that falls with nice lacing. Excellent looking porter.
The 2006 has a huge nose of Simcoe hops. The taste is initially the same as the smell....all hops. That quickly fads into a nice mild porter flavor. It is a little thinner that I had expected at 7.5% alcohol, but it is very well hidden. Ends with a nice bittering and is very nice. Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, but the drinkability is excellent.
The 2005 has lost almost all of its hop smell and smells like a traditional porter: dark roasted malts, chocolate, java. Taste follows the smell, almost no hops in the is all malt. The mouthfeel is on the thin side, but still nice. Drinkability is good, but I think I definitely prefer this one fresh. It is not bad with a year of age, but it kind of tastes average. The fresh beer is definitely better and very interesting. It is amazing the difference between the two after just a year.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

A darker than cola brown with a head that doesn't die. It leaves some decent lacing as well.

Honestly this smells like a Snickers bar to me haha. I get chocolate, nuts, and caramel with some creamy roastiness. Also a hint of spicy hops.

It tastes really similar to the smell. A really great chocolate and roasty flavor with some nuttiness and a dry slightly hoppy finish.

Nice and creamy and smooth. Easy to down with not a hint of the 7.5% abv.

One of the best porters I've had to date. I've only had this one with some age on it but it is excellent.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

A- Poured a dark body which appeared almost solid black, but when held up to light, allows the tiniest glimmer of light to shine through. The pour produced a thick, mocha colored two finger head.

S- Chocolate and roasted malts mostly dominate the aroma. Sweet caramel malts, and citrus and earthy hops poke through in the background. Smells very complex.

T- Wonderful. Dark chocolate, caramel, and roasted coffee malt flavors immediately strike the palate. The bitter sweetness of the malts is counter-balanced by a perfect amount of citrus hop flavors lingering in the backbone. The finish is bittersweet and slightly citusy.

M- Undoubtedly the best quality of this beer, absolutely perfect. Carbonation is spot on for the style. This beer is as creamy as I've ever tasted. Almost leaves a coating in your mouth after swallowing.

D-I'm more than likely going to grab another one before my local liquor store closes.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

First encounter was a bottle provided by Opski Rock...

A: This beer poured a deep brown with a nice brown/tan/ head.

S: Dark chocolate and, toasty malt, english toffee and coffee.

T: Nice hoppy porter, as expected judging by the name, not overpowering the malt. Very well balanced.

M: Let this one sit on the tounge, enjoyable.

D: Sipping on this one slowly, you can drink a few in a session. Very, very good porter.

I will hopefully be able to land a case of the 2006 variety....

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%

SCORE!!! I found this marked down to $5 (from $9) because it is now out of season. "Silly fools," I say. "This is one of my top 3 porters and it should still be good even this late in the year."

Pours almost black into a Duvel tulip with a one-finger brown head that eventually settles into a milky froth that coats the surface.

Inhaling deeply through the nose reveals a rich, sweet aroma of malty sativa buds, foreshadowing the hoppy goodness I am about to enjoy.

Starts out tasting like a thick IPA, then quickly morphs into a slightly sweet malt and finishes with a Sumatra coffee aftertaste that lingers on.

Mouthfeel is of moderate thickness with a touch of creamy froth.

This is a very drinkable porter, despite its 7.5% ABV content. They should really make this year-round. Instead, I will continue to enjoy it during my December rituals during the Sunday afternoon football game - and occasionally score the occasional discounted bottle in late spring.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

This was my first Three Floyds purchase. Naturally, I had heard a lot of the brewery, so when I came across a case of this at the Beer Yard, I couldn't pass it up. At any rate...pours a beautiful dark opaque brown with rusty highlights around the edges. Super soft, light brown head that has a wonderful thickness to it. Looks like something I'd want to put on top of some chocolate cake. Smells immediately like I'm in a backwoods hop patch. And, unfortunately, I hate to be cliche, but it does smell like Christmas. Super, smooth creamy mouthfeel transports a huge delivery of roasty, chocolatey, caramel malt into the palate. Not too far behind is the surprising hop presence. Very hoppy for a porter. I even has a bit of that stringent porter character, which I'm not always a fan of, but its pulled off with perfection here. I'm assuming its the other flavors that balancecd it. The beer finishes with a nice dry touch and a lingering aftertaste of dry, dark cocoa powder. Man, this stuff is just amazing, its unlike any other porter I've had.

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured at celler temp into 2 snifters.

Dark black with an off-white head which turns quickly into a thin layer.

Coffee is the dominant aroma, with other warm roasted malts, a floral hop note, and a slight sourness.

This turns out to be a somewhat classic, light-bodied, coffee, smokey porter. Not quite as special as I was hoping, but still good. My wife, who knew what was coming next, immediately set it down figuring it wasn't worth the calories. My reaction wasn't nearly that strongly negative - but I like a porter.

Light, with high carbonation. A little mouth-coating, but minor.

Easy drinking, though not terribly interesting.

There are several other porters I'd much rather drink. Somewhat of a letdown.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Included and recommended by Gratefulbeerhead.... Thanks Eric! I really enjoyed this one. Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Black appearance with dark tan head. Pours to 1/2 inch of head with good retention. The aroma is dominated by coffee and chocolate, and the taste is very similar, dominated by coffee and chocolate as well. Very good porter, sweet with a domination of malt on the tongue. Mouthfeel is perfect for a porter and the drinkability is exceptional for a porter.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Appearance -- Pours a deep midnight black with a thick, creamy, two finger light-brown head. It looks pretty good. Can't wait to try it. Nice lacing.

Smell -- Initial smell is light hops followed by chocolate. The chocolate scent is more pronounced as the porter warms. The hops are distinct but I am not good with identifying all hop varieties. Reminds me in a way of how Alpha King smells, but not as strong.

Taste -- Burnt chocolate, coffee, and some bitterness. Reminds me of excellent porters like GL's Edmund Fitzgerald. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel -- A little more on the heavier side. Slightly chewy and creamy.

Drinkability -- This one is very quaffable. If it didn't cost $8 for a bomber I'd probably purchase more. I've got one more bottle I'll save for closer to Christmas. In many ways it reminds me of Edmund Fitzgerald. A nice offering from Three Floyds but due to the cost and similarity to Edmund Fitzgerald, I won’t be purchasing it again anytime soon.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured- a dark black with a thick tan head. good amount of lace
smell- aroma includes coffee, chocolate, roasted malts and hops
taste- . very interesting for a porter chocolate, coffee,roasted malts some toffee and big hop flavors also
mouthfeel- good body and carbonation.
drinkability- another great beer by fff's. goes down way to easy for a 7.5%.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Vintage: 2010

Serving Type: 22oz Bomber poured into a Tulip glass.

A: A very rich, dark brown with about 2 inches of light, sandy-color head. Lacing is ample.

S: The aroma of hops is present, but is quickly overpowered by coffee and roasted chocolate.

T: Hit with a tiny, bitter hop taste as it hits my tongue. A sweet, fruity roasted malt dominates.

M: Creamy with tiny bubbles introduce themselves to my tongue. A heavey, medium body Porter that finishes a little dry.

D: Very drinkable! Looking forward to Christmas 2011!! Kidding...let's enjoy some sunshine in 2011 first! A great way to start the weekend.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

First this is a damn good beer. Pours a dark opaque black color with a faint creamy head. The aroma is to kill for. I've never smelled such fresh piney resins in a bottled beer. It's as if this beer were served on draft at the brewery. It clearly has benefited from late hop additions and dry hopping. Fresh, fresh , fresh. Somewhat of a subtle touch of sweet molasses aroma. Taste is of warming alcohol and an overwhelming yet delightful dry dark chocolate presence. Lots of bittering hops which linger as an aftertaste which is pleasant nevertheless. Well balanced despite being hop heavy. Chocolate malts back it up adequately. A wonderful seasonal beer. Oh I love this time of the year!!!

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured into a goblet, appeared as dark cola and had a scant tan head (I could have poured it with more vigor). Smelled spicy, with pine, coffee/espresso/roasted malts and a hint of toffee. The bittering hops were fairly prominent in the taste. Started sweet (not cloying) then some good piney hops which gave way to chocolate/coffee and a finishing bitter. Medium body, medium-low carbonation. Just a tad sticky on the palate. A really nice porter - certainly a good, warming brew to enjoy on a winter's day.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

One of the greatest winter warmers in the market! A robust porter with a festive flavor. It is a malty beer with a west coast hop slam. A beautiful bitter dark chocolate mixed in with dark roasted coffee. A little hint of spices.

3.26/5  rDev -21.6%

The beer is black with a thick tan head. The head dies down to a bubbly layer of film. There is quite a bit of lacing on the glass.

The beer smells strongly of pine. Not really expected with a porter, but this is a Three Floyds beer and mega-hopped beers are their thing.

There is a lot of pine in the taste as well. Somewhere in there meek hints of dark chocolate and coffee attempt to make themselves known, but are crushed behind a wall of pine. This would be great if Three Floyds called this a black IPA, but they don't, they call it a porter, and I'm having trouble figuring out what is supposed to make this beer very porter-like.

Mouthfeel is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

The drinkability of this beer is pretty good, goes down easy.

Overall this is a pretty good beer, but it is certainly not worth $8.99 for a 22 oz bottle.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Date Drunk: 12/5/2010

22oz into pint glass

A: Dark brown color with some red floating around. The head stays on this on.
S: Smell of heavy hops is clear with some roasted malt and molasses.
T: A smokey, almost burnt flavor is initially felt. The aftertaste of smoke and dark chocolate is very enjoyable.
M: Very smooth with all of these different flavors in the beer.
O: A very enjoyable beer, but in order for me to purchase again, I would need a more complex hop flavor upfront. The hop smell made me think there would be a strong presence of hops, but I was wrong.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured with a small amount of head. Dark black coloring.

Smells of chocolate and a bit of a nutty flavor. Almond perhaps.

Great chocolate flavor. Lovely porter taste. So good I forgot to finish this review ;)

D: I wish this was a bit more affordable because I'd buy a bunch. Great drinkability!

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoyed this brew. Heavy look, but not quite as heavy a taste (of course that depends on your definition of heavy), but extremely tasty and smooth. Very good holiday porter. Looks as smooth as it tastes. Unfortunately, with a bit of a cold, I cannot give any good smell descriptions as I basically have none. But I truly enjoyed this beer.

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours very dark but very thin for a porter. Smells almost of pine needles; maybe it's the whole "christmas" thing that has me thinking of pine needles.

I think there is a lot of unfounded hype around this one. It's good but like most FFF I've had, price per beer is just way too high for what you're getting. One 22oz vs a six-pack of Bell's Porter and I'll take the Bell's hands down.

Pretty drinkable although the 7.5% seems a bit low; this one really hit me.

Good to try, wouldn't be a regular beer I would seek out.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle to a nonic. Just purchased the last 2 at Kimbark Liquors in Hyde Park.

A: Very dark. I got very little, if any, light coming through. Had a large, substantial, and fluffy brownish head. Almost caramel-colored. It looks beautiful.

S: Roasted malts. dark chocolate. plus those iconic FFF hops. Hop aroma is distinctly reminiscent of alpha king. overall impression of the smell is piney plus roasted coffee with a chocolate tinge that just screams Christmas time to me. A porter underneath alpha king, perfect for winter.

T: Subtle coffee and dark chocolate notes. Prominent but not overbearing hops (a citrus mix that turns into pine for me). The aroma is better balanced, but I still enjoy the taste a lot.

M: Mouth feel is lighter than you would expect from looking at it. Makes it more drinkable, though I wouldn't mind this being a sipper.

D: Much more drinkable than I expected. Goes down almost too easily. The hops keep it refreshing.

Currently one of my favorite beers (I had a couple last year too). Try it with your christmas ham.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.