Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

(Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002)
pwoods

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

22oz. brown bottle poured into an imperial pint. Notes.

A: Pitch black, completely opaque. Huge dark tan head with good retention and nice lacing.

S: Lots of coffee and a bunch of roast for a porter. A bit of cola.

T/M: More of the roast in this porter. Coffee is big as well. More of the sweet cola. Bitterness is somewhat high but done pretty well. Body is above medium and carbonation is a bit high.

D: Drinkable but maybe a bit off style.

10-27-2009 01:54:35 | More by pwoods
PorterPirate

4.68/5  rDev +13%

Picked this mutha up at Le Cork in a 22 oz. bomber. Me Grandpap bought it for me when he was visiting.

A: Poured into a commemorative Nitty birthday mug. No real head to speak of, deep and black in my glass, obsidian tint. Hugs the mug slightly.

S: Deep, full malty nose to it. Slightly chocolate and floral scents waft out of the bottle.

T: Slightly sweet, also find hints of chocolate here. Malts are also very noticeable, as are the hops. A bit citrusy. Aftertaste is slightly bitter and sour but still quite enjoyable.

M: Not very heavy, a bit lighter than I was expecting. Slightly crisp, not much carbonation but more than many porters. Doesn't seem to stick around very long in my mouth.

D: Very high. I would definitely drink a bomber of this again, and it's medium abv (compared to what I usually drink) guarantees I won't be too buzzed to function. I feel like this was left over from last Christmas, so I will have to try the new batch this year and see how it compares.

All in all, quite pleased, as usual from Three Floyds.

10-20-2009 02:54:55 | More by PorterPirate
jsh420

4.43/5  rDev +7%

my last bottle from the 2008 batch

pours dark dark brown almost black with a 1+ finger tan head that coats the glass with lacing

smell is great - still leads with the big fruit hops and then the chocolate roasted malts

taste - hoppy porter anyone? look nowhere but here then - just like the nose this one lead with the friuty hops then follows with the chocolate and leaves you with a nice roasty malt aftertaste

mouthfeel was good i think the beer lost some zip being cellared for almost a year - still decent carbonation along side the medium body

drinkability is high - why wouldnt every porter want some nice fruity hops in it?

cant wait until the 09 batch hits the stores

10-12-2009 02:51:33 | More by jsh420
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a deep, dark, smooth clear black. Very nice looking. The head forms about 2cm, falls back a bit, but sticks around. It's tan, dense, and nice - leaving stick bits of lacing. A very beautiful beer. The smell is very nice, too. A bit of roasted barley, but backed up with a very nice caramelly sweetness. A bit of semisweet chocolate, and a whiff of some grain, maybe a hint of some alcohol, bourbon kind of, but I think it's just the dark grain husks. The taste is just like a great straightforward american porter. It doesn't come out with anything different than you expect, it's just very well executed. Very clean, filled with roasted barley and a very nice rich sweetness. It's still dry enough, a bit grainy, and toasty that it is well balanced. At the end there's like a dense, crusty bread with some chocolate sauce. This is just the definition of an American Porter. The bodyis about medium, with mild carbonation, a bit of a rush, no real sting. It's pretty good, probably a bit heavier because there's more grain in it. The beer is very enjoyable. If this wasn't so high in ABV, with this flavor, I could stick with this for a while, but I think this is still really great. I would recommend it if you can find it, and I'm not sure if the months that have passed have made it better, but I know that this is good now.

09-27-2009 18:42:32 | More by taylorhamrick
bulletrain76

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

22oz bottle shared by photomike. Black with a medium beige head. The aroma is just outstanding; a mix of potent tropical fruit hoppiness (mostly pineapple, with a good dose of ripe grapefruit) and subtle dark chocolate. If you close your eyes, you might almost think IPA, but the chocolate is also unmistakable. The flavor also has plenty of tropical fruit and dark chocolate, with a dry, earthy, almost smokey quality as well. The finish is dry and earthy with a medium bitterness that isn't nearly as intense as the hop aroma and flavor. Not nearly as thick thick or sweet as I had expected, and I really like that. This drinks much easier than you might think, in a sharp departure from a certain stout that FFF makes, with a medium body and moderate carbonation. This was an awesome and pretty unique beer. Reminded me of Stone 11th, but more toward the porter end of the continuum.

09-25-2009 00:33:01 | More by bulletrain76
mjl21

Acquired via trade...thanks Josh. 22 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. No abv or bottling info is given.

A-Pours black. A gentle pour reults in a huge 3 finger dark sand head. The head has great retention and ends up resting at a one finger layer. No lace is left.

S-It has a nice porter nose. There is lots of chocolate and roasty aroma. There are citrus hops that are evident throughout and get stronger as it warms. I would love to smell this fresh.

T-Lots of chocolate throughout. It is sweet, but not cloying. The citrus hops are noticeable, but the roasted taste and dark chocolate remain as the dominant tastes. There is a noticeable hop bitterness.

M-Overly carbonated. As noted from the appearance, there is a lot of carb in this one and it really hurts the mouthfeel. The carb makes it very sharp. The body is on the upper end of the medium spectrum. The carb is a tad bit better on the second pour, but it never achieves a nice smooth mouthfeel.

D-It tastes good, but the massive carbonation limits this one.

Overall I think this is a good beer. I think my bottle just bad more gas in it. I would love to try the next version to see what the hops are like when fresh.

08-22-2009 15:59:33 | More by mjl21
kegger22

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

Alpha Klaus pours brown, almost black with a huge, creamy tan head that faded quickly. The aroma was predominately coffee. The taste was also coffee with an alcohol taste as it warmed up. Carbonation is not all spent in the head, medium body. Drinkability is OK. Not bad for a porter, but Three Floyd's missed their usual mark of excellence.

08-09-2009 00:49:53 | More by kegger22
Strix

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours near black with a brown head and decent lacing

Smells roasty, yet piney hops are quite evident

I get roasted malts, a bit of dark chocolate, and coffee in the taste. Floral/earthy/piney hops kick in to lead to a slightly bitter finish. Very flavorful.

Mouthfeel quite smooth.

This was a big and interesting beer. Hop kick hampered drinkability for me towards the end of the bottle, but this was enjoyable.

08-01-2009 19:36:23 | More by Strix
BrewIndy

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured with a small amount of head. Dark black coloring.

Smells of chocolate and a bit of a nutty flavor. Almond perhaps.

Great chocolate flavor. Lovely porter taste. So good I forgot to finish this review ;)

D: I wish this was a bit more affordable because I'd buy a bunch. Great drinkability!

07-19-2009 02:11:59 | More by BrewIndy
nrbw23

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

A- Pours a black color with a nice tan colored head. Head has good retention and leaves quite a bit of lacing.

S- Smells of roasted malts, chocolate, caramel, faint woodiness, earthy hops, and some dark fruit.

T- Quite a bit going on here in this one. Tastes of coffee, roasted malts, chocolate and earthy hops.

M- Medium in body and fairly low carbonation.

D- Very easy to drink and highly recommended.

07-10-2009 10:32:21 | More by nrbw23
bgreg3

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev +1%

Christmas in July, O boy!

Bomber baby

This pours an incredibly dark color, it is oil black with a brown cream foam head looks amazing to me. I smell malts and hops in a balanced fashion , more malt though and they're roasted with a semi chocolate smell!

I've never had a porter before, but if this is a prototype or anything like the others this will be the beer for me. It's delicious. The taste of sweet malt rushes to the toungue followed by a rich chocolate taste that ends with a semi hoppy finish, floral hops? just like alpha king.
This sticks around in your mouth for a little bit and gets sticky fast ;heavy body. Tastes like it would go great with food , probaly ice cream too haha. I suggest eating or drinking water with this.

Drinks very well and smoothly for a little above average abv. . I'll be getting alot of these from the pub in december with some pizza.

Yet another bold and balanced one from my friends down the street.

07-05-2009 23:59:21 | More by bgreg3
photomike

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours close to black with a tan head. Somewhat fast dissipation and impressive wet lacing.

The aroma is surprisingly hoppy with roasty chocolate and some earthiness that I didn't expect. Interesting, for sure. Not as malty as I would have guessed from a porter.

Taste is hoppy with a huge oaky/woody earthiness. Reminiscent of wet leaves, there are also hints of chocolate and carmelly malt.

Mouthfeel is very creamy and full with an oily finish.

Drinkability is moderately high. Dry enough that sweetness doesn't become a factor, and with enough complexity to keep you interested for the whole bomber.

A nice, interesting take on a porter.

06-18-2009 02:06:10 | More by photomike
gory4d

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours deep, dark brown into an imperial pint glass; there's a tan, two-finger head that dissipates soon but leaves lacing down the glass. The smell is sweet coffee, malt, toffee, some savory and dried fruit notes. The flavor is more of the same, with a finish that a touch salty, with a lingering bitter finish. It's mildly carbonated, very rich. Easy going down. whether you sip or gulp. Up there with the best of the style. Too bad it's not year-round, and too bad I have to get a friend to ship it to NYC.

06-13-2009 23:34:24 | More by gory4d
SykDoc

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a very dark brown that is essentially black and opaque when held to the light. A 1 inch mocha colored head forms and reduces to a full coverage lacing.

The aroma is good but unusual for a porter. It is primarily piney hops. Some coffee and caramel halts are hidden in there.

The taste includes an up front malty sweetness followed by a fairly heavy dose of citrussy hops followed by a coffee bitterness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied. The carbonation is good for the flavor. A nice dryness lingers with the bitter finish. It is overall crisp initially, followed by a smooth middle and a fairly clean and salivation inducing finish.

Overall, this is a very drinkable beer. If I were to review it based on being a porter, it is a bit heavy on the hops and weak on the malt. However, it is very good and definitely worth trying and should I be able to get it again, I will. I will admit, I must have noted the hops more than many based on other reviews but again, still a very good beer.

06-13-2009 03:07:35 | More by SykDoc
thequeen711

Deep chocolate pour, slight head diminishes quickly. Nose of chocolate and roasted coffee. Deep rich mouthfeel, Taste of that chocolate and roasted coffee. Easily enjoyable as well as easily drinkable, this brew I can recommend to everyone, introduce the world to the Three Floyds Brewery!

06-06-2009 23:52:55 | More by thequeen711
Casey10

Maine

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Aquired as a "extra" from trade with heliosphann this is a really good beer and while I am not much of a porter fan this one closely resembles a stout which I do like.

A - Very dark beer with a 1 finger tan head.

S - Burnt coffee and chocolate

T - Definately dark chocolate and coffee tart as well.

M - Again coffee tart mouth "stings" a bit before drinking

D - As I stated not a big fan of Ports but this one is good it definately borders a stout in taste although a bit thinner than a true stout.

06-06-2009 00:58:57 | More by Casey10
madtowndmb1

4.43/5  rDev +7%

Got to have some of this last night and I was pleased! It poured a pitch black with a nice tan head. Smelled of chocolate, a malty sweetness, and a hint of chocolate. The taste was very similar but the hops were very present in the taste where they didn't show there head at all in the nose. A very nice porter and thin enough to drink during the summer without weighing you down! Well done FFF

05-29-2009 14:16:05 | More by madtowndmb1
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to psprings for the bottle.

Black body, off-white had with good retention. Sweet nutty chocolate on the nose. Brown sugar, molasses, and chocolate with a nice, bitter, balancing hop finish. The body is medium full and very smooth. Heck of a porter. It really put me in the Christmas mood (I reviewed this last fall) and it did it without any baking spices and that makes me happy. There were some residual sweetness issues, but still it was damn good.

05-27-2009 15:51:19 | More by BradLikesBrew
mdwalsh

Iowa

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

A: Black as Black can be. Head is tannish, less than one finger and goes away pretty quick

S: Very little malt/roast smell. very very citrusy hoppy. Maybe a little sweet

T: Very hoppy, but after a bit the grain comes through. Slightly warm on the way down. A light hoppy burp comes back after a little bit of drinking.

M: Thinning, but pleasing. Ok porter for a hot day, but not for a cold one.

D: I don't think I'd get this one again.

05-20-2009 19:28:07 | More by mdwalsh
PrinceDarren

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

SCORE!!! I found this marked down to $5 (from $9) because it is now out of season. "Silly fools," I say. "This is one of my top 3 porters and it should still be good even this late in the year."

Pours almost black into a Duvel tulip with a one-finger brown head that eventually settles into a milky froth that coats the surface.

Inhaling deeply through the nose reveals a rich, sweet aroma of malty sativa buds, foreshadowing the hoppy goodness I am about to enjoy.

Starts out tasting like a thick IPA, then quickly morphs into a slightly sweet malt and finishes with a Sumatra coffee aftertaste that lingers on.

Mouthfeel is of moderate thickness with a touch of creamy froth.

This is a very drinkable porter, despite its 7.5% ABV content. They should really make this year-round. Instead, I will continue to enjoy it during my December rituals during the Sunday afternoon football game - and occasionally score the occasional discounted bottle in late spring.

05-08-2009 03:32:47 | More by PrinceDarren
charlesw

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Why xmas porter? Why? What does it have to do with xmas other than a release date and the evil elf on the bottle??? Just curious!

It's beer. It's dark beer. I has a dark head. Maybe a finger of head when I'm really trying. Not the tight little bubbles... Maybe medium ones. Gone pretty quickly. Seems like a porter.

Smells EXACTLY like a porter. Whoa. So, yeah. What does a porter smell like? Well, man, today I must just be at a loss for words 'cause all I can say is that it's this beer.

Tastes better than, oh, uh, nevermind. Not going to mention competing beers. Lots of dark stuff going on in the mouth. Dark malts. Coffee, smoke, chocolate. Going for lower sweetness and lower body but full flavor. Nice. Interesting.

I'd like it to be a touch thicker in the mouth. Please!

04-28-2009 00:34:07 | More by charlesw
Buebie

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks goes to buckeyesox for hooking me up with this.

Poured from a brown bomber into a pub glass. 2 inches of brown foamy head receeds to a thin cap of retention and no lace.
Black in color, no light penetration.

Aroma on this is delicious! Big malted milk ball smell, with plenty of chocolate, molasses, and just a nip of grassy hops. (yes, I said nip)

Thin mouthfeel with just a touch of carbonation.
A good amount of sweet malty chocolate upfront, mixed with carbonation. Switching to a very thick blasting of semi-bitter ceral grain, not husky or negative at all, but fresh tasting.
There is a minor minerally mtallic aftertaste well after the swallow. I dont know if its the water or a bi product of maybe some liquid chocolate extract grain alcahol ingredient.

Drinkability is high, as there is no boozyness on this, its very tasty and finishes clean without a heavy creamyness that can normally weigh me down to the point that I feel like there is a brick in my stomach.

04-25-2009 01:46:20 | More by Buebie
dancinwillie

3.1/5  rDev -25.1%

Dark brown, almost black, creamy coffee-hued topper is gone within minutes.

Mainly chocolate. Light traces of caramel and coffee.

Sweet up front, and all the flavor that the aroma had promised me, are here. I like the strong hop flavor, and there's a little roasted bitterness here too. I'd like to know if there's any brown malt in here, just for the sake of knowing. Bit of a maple syrupy flavor as the beer warms up.

On the thin side body-wise. Medium carbonation. Smooth.

I like it. Pretty good beer, I would probably get a couple more, and cellar them, if I see them anywhere. I would drink one every now and again, but nothing too regular. Just to see how they cellar. Cheers!

04-20-2009 03:38:15 | More by dancinwillie
sonicdescent

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to BrewCzar for this one!

Pour starts off a bit weak, the liquid is dark with some red highlights, the head is disappointing. A crown forms with some good lacing which saves this from average territory.

Smell is good and robust, I can smell it with the glass a few feet away. Chocolate, Molasses, a bit of a hop background. Milk, cream, a light roasted scent are also present.

Tastes fairly different than most porters I have had, because there is a hop presence, but unlike gonzo porter which I felt was more a dark IPA than a hoppy porter, they intermingle rather well with the chocolate and creamy tastes, neither really overpowering, but working in a balanced fashion. Interesting and good.

Mouth is medium in body and carbonation. No complaints here. I realize it isn't a stout, but I think this would be interesting in a thicker fashion.

Another winner from Three Floyds.

04-19-2009 04:29:20 | More by sonicdescent
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Another Yummy brew from Three Floyds. Gumballhead and Dreadnaught are among my fav's. Too bad I only have one bottle of this seasonal brew, but Christmas is only eight months away, so I will definitely be asking Santa for more. So onto the review... poured into a pint glass, leaving a good portion still in the bottle. Appearance is pitch black with a one inch frothy head. It smells wonderful, like a Christmas porter should smell with chocolate being the dominant feature. Taste, well, is good, but I'm gonna let it warm up a bit before really diving in. The taste develops as it warms; I don't think this beer is meant to be consumed refrigerator cold, in the same way Three Floyds' Moloko Plus improved as it warmed and the carbonation of that brew became more tolerable. As this Three Floyds brew warms up, the frothy head disappears, leaving only lacing on the Samuel Smith pint glass. Three Floyds does a very nice job of blending in the hops, as the hops do add a very nice kick to this Christmas Porter. A very enjoyable brew. Thanks Three Floyds.

04-17-2009 06:39:07 | More by cadizkyguy