Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Reviews: 722 | Hads: 2,023
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

First of '06. This looks great. Pours damn near black, with a hefty mocha head. Smells heavily of malts, hops, and maybe some spice or something. The flavor has a karate chop of roasted malts and a meaty portion of hops. As my palate adjusts the the intense taste, bittersweet chocolate and espresso come through. There is also that "something" that I can't put my finger on. It may be just a spicy hop. The mouthfeel is thick and foamy and slighly astringent. A strong sipper, in my opinion. A great way to start the year.

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Aged bomber from xmas of 2003. Most beers lost their hop and spice aromas after a year in the bottle. Happily that was not the case with the Alpha Klaus. Head was nice, thick and quite brown in color. Beer was dark brown to black. Mouthfeel was light but not detractingly so. Flavor was full of hop spiciness and something else I could not place my finger on. Chocolate and a slight coffee bitterness came through once the mouth adjusted to the hops. Luckily I have one more of there I can sit on and see how it fairs next year.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Bomber bought from the wine joint in Hamden. Enjoyed last evening as a NYE warmup during a viewing of "War of the Worlds"

Pitch black porter with a dark tan head. Nice retention and excellent lacing.

Hops? I could've sworn that this was a batch of kind bud swimming around with dark roasted malts.

Dark chocolate, coffee, and a bunch of spices that I couldn't figure out. That is, after your tongue is assaulted with Christmas tree sappy hops. Even with the big flavor, a bit lighter than a lot of porters out there. Though not traditional in any sense, very enjoyable and worth a few.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

22 Oz bottle Sampled through the efforts of SS 05 BIF and Meathookjones.

A jet-black porter through which light can pass through only a few millimeters on the extreme edges.

Smell is strong black coffee and a heavy dose of hops. Very deeply roasted Italian espresso to the nose with good smoky char aromas. Lots of citrus, mint, menthol and spruce and willow aromas.

Taste is creamy black coffee with quite a lot of hops in the initial sip. Nice balanced bitterness levels here but there is little chocolate, this is a coffee lover’s beer. I expected more from this one since I LOVE the Dreadnaught IPA they make but this is just a good porter taste wise.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side.

OK drinkability here but not great. An interesting beer to be sure but the Dreadnaught IPA rocked my senses; this one did not. This is a beer I will try again at another time. Maybe my mood was just not in harmony for this tonight; but I didn't like it as much as most do.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

22oz. bomber

Pours a jet black with a thick mocha head that maintains. Nice lacing on the glass.

Lots of hops in the aroma, smells like Cascade to me. The aroma of roasted grains and coffee mesh nicely with the hop aroma.

A nice citrusy hop flavor upfront followed by a nice flavor of raosted grains and coffee. This washes away with a nice bitterness with a lingering hop taste.

Even with the ample carbonation, this one feels a little on the thin side.

Nice and easy to drink. I have yet to try a 3F brew that I don't enjoy.

4.44/5  rDev +6.7%

All I have to say is that this better be one amazing brew, cause it cost me $8.19 for a 220z bomber about 2 miles down the road from the brewery.

This pours out to a dense very dark brown, forming a dark cocoa head with average retention and lacing. Carbonation is a little stronger than most 3F's (I find the mild carbonation of their brews appealing). Oh yum, the aroma is intense and wonderful...there is a ton of chocolate, toast, and deeply roasted grains, but it's wonderfully balanced by amazing resinous skunkweed hops. I'm thinking Chinook. The nose is awesome. The mouthfeel is slick, oily and mineral with a dense body, but has a touch too much carbonation for my preferences. Powdery and almost flittery. The taste makes me think Bear Republic Stout mixed 60:40 with Stone IPA...kinda like a tweaked Barney Flats. The huge amount of chocolate malt and black patent adds a sharp astringency to the finish. Bitterness is medium-strong and very woodsy. The aftertaste seems to linger forever with burnt grains, charcoal, and pine sap. The finish is very dry and as it warms, a touch of isopropyl alcohol enters the picture.

This isn't your Dad's porter, but it's quite the tasty little brew. It's hard to justify the price as other similarly stylized brews would go for $5.99/bomber or so. I found it more enjoyable after it warmed up and the carbonation mellowed. One of a kind, but I'd be hard pressed to buy it again considering the cost.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Much anticipated treat for Christmas day, courtesy of nisjer05.

Cool label, as the case with all Three Floyds beers!!!
Very dark brown color, almost black, but not quite. A decent one inch tan colored head that dissappated quickly. Not much lacing.

Great smell, a combination of coffee, chocolate, with piney floral accents.

Awesome taste, first it hits you with roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate. It ends with a perfect amount of piney hop bitterness. Very well balanced!!!

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and not too heavy.

Great drinkability, if I had more of this beer, I would have drank more. Not filling and very easy too drink. Overall a great brew from Three Floyds. I must find some more of this treat before the holiday season is over. A must try!!!

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

This beer is very dark brown with mahogany highlights and there was a bit of cascading from the pour. The light brown head showed good lacing and decent retention. Quite nice! There's some roasted character to the aroma, but pine and grapefruit from the hops covered most of this up. In fact, it smelled quite a lot like pine trees. The same happened in the flavour to a lesser extent, with malt becoming more evident as it warmed. Strong hop bitterness. There were hints of semi-sweet chocolate and coffee, along with herbal hops, throughout. The finish really lingered and had a lot of hop flavour and roasted bitterness. Medium bodied and quite dry, there was a bit of slickness and well-integrated carbonation. This is a big, hoppy interpretation of a porter and exactly what I expect from 3F. You can tell there's a solid porter malt base lurking underneath all the hops. Quite enjoyable. Thanks for the pick-up Viggo!

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

12/24/05- Purchased via mail order with Archer Liquors in Chicago, ILL.

Presentation- 2005 release. 22oz bottle with a crazy ass tattoed carnie looking thing dumping hops into a pint glass. Kinda a scary way to celebrate Christmas Eve. Poured into two wine goblets.

Appearance- Pretty damn black in color, off white, light brown sugar colored head of about 3/4 inches. Pretty nice lacing left along the inside of the glass.

Smell- Damn, they weren't lying about the hops. Smelled quite bitter with a nice bucketload of some spices...maybe cinnimon?

Taste- Lots, in fact maybe the most dark chocolate flavor I have had in a porter before. Tastes like some funky ass coffee as well. Not really Starbucks like, but maybe some Mexican or Turkish coffee. Has a nice bite to it. Has a nice sugary tang as well in the flavor. Spices come through in every sip. Hops takeover as the prominent taste though, which is odd for a porter, at least ones that I have tried.

Mouthfeel- Pretty well carbonated, in fact way too much IMO for a porter.

Drinkability- Nice change of pace beer. I wouldn't recommend it as a traditional porter, but if someone love hops and love porters, this would be a nice fix for them. Probably a once a year beer for me. Definitely not a session brew.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very dark in color-basically black though not quite thru and thru like some beers. Great tan head on top. Extremely hoppy and floral aroma. Very perfume like. It actually reminds me of Victory's Storm King which I have recently found to be very, very hoppy. Fantastic flavor-great blend of hops and roasted malt. Its balanced enough that the high hop levels meld into the roasted malts. Hops do tend to dominate overall. Nice mouthfeel-full bodied and not too dry or sweet in the finish. An extremely drinkable beer. I actually read a recent review in a newspaper column about Xmas beers and the writer stated he didnt remember 3 Floyds beers tasting this good when he lived right near the brewery. I sort of have to agree-in that it has taken them a few years to come around to my liking. For a while they were really nothing special but have really come into their own. Well done I say!!

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance- A great creamy brown head. Color was black all the way, no light could penetrate its dark soul.

Smell- Immeadiate hops mixed chocolate and coffee.

Taste- An excellent bitter cappuchino flavor. Starts with hops and ends with hops bitterness.

Mouthfeel- A chewy, creamy palate leaving your taste buds realing with hops and chocolate.

Drinkability- Not to overbearing if your having this AS desert. Definetly a meal in bottle.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

First this is a damn good beer. Pours a dark opaque black color with a faint creamy head. The aroma is to kill for. I've never smelled such fresh piney resins in a bottled beer. It's as if this beer were served on draft at the brewery. It clearly has benefited from late hop additions and dry hopping. Fresh, fresh , fresh. Somewhat of a subtle touch of sweet molasses aroma. Taste is of warming alcohol and an overwhelming yet delightful dry dark chocolate presence. Lots of bittering hops which linger as an aftertaste which is pleasant nevertheless. Well balanced despite being hop heavy. Chocolate malts back it up adequately. A wonderful seasonal beer. Oh I love this time of the year!!!

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

22 ounce bottle. Three Floyd's Alpha Klaus pours out a nearly, but not quite, black color with a creamy head. The aroma is very roasty, nutty, and hoppy. Incredibly, the hops go very well with the roastiness. The flavor is sweet at first with caramel and chocolate. Roasted flavors come in at the middle. The finish is bitter, with citrus hops. This beer is probably more hoppy than any porter I've had. Furthermore, the hop flavor melds with the roasty flavors to create a delicious whole. Mouthfeel is medium. A beer this tasty is almost drinkable by default. Great beer. I'm falling in love with this brewery, even as I despise it for the price of it's beer ($9 for this bomber).

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Appearance -- Pours a deep midnight black with a thick, creamy, two finger light-brown head. It looks pretty good. Can't wait to try it. Nice lacing.

Smell -- Initial smell is light hops followed by chocolate. The chocolate scent is more pronounced as the porter warms. The hops are distinct but I am not good with identifying all hop varieties. Reminds me in a way of how Alpha King smells, but not as strong.

Taste -- Burnt chocolate, coffee, and some bitterness. Reminds me of excellent porters like GL's Edmund Fitzgerald. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel -- A little more on the heavier side. Slightly chewy and creamy.

Drinkability -- This one is very quaffable. If it didn't cost $8 for a bomber I'd probably purchase more. I've got one more bottle I'll save for closer to Christmas. In many ways it reminds me of Edmund Fitzgerald. A nice offering from Three Floyds but due to the cost and similarity to Edmund Fitzgerald, I won’t be purchasing it again anytime soon.

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours out a rich cola-brown with a finger and a half of dense tan foam that fades slowly and leaves a decent amount of lace.

Smell is rather intense, and it's hard to unpack at first. The initial wave in your nose is pure West Coast hoppiness, almost like you're sniffing a pale ale. A seriously bitter pine/spruce hop nose kicks in, but underneath there's a solid roasted maltiness with some coffee and chocolate.

Flavor is more of the unusual same: a big, IPA-ish wave of evergreen hop flavors that then mellows out into a slightly bitter, balanced chocolate and coffee flavor. The lingering aftertaste is an interesting blend of bitterness, both from the coffee and hop flavors and sweet chocolate/roasty tastes. Quite unique. Some little spices slip in as well, notably cinnamon, but I also get a little tiny licorice flavor. Mouthfeel is creamy and pleasant.

Overall: I didn't buy this one last year because I thought it was too much for a single bottle. Wow. I was wrong. A completely unique porter that really uses aggressive hopping without being over-the-top and losing all of its porter characteristics. Outstanding.

3.26/5  rDev -21.6%

The beer is black with a thick tan head. The head dies down to a bubbly layer of film. There is quite a bit of lacing on the glass.

The beer smells strongly of pine. Not really expected with a porter, but this is a Three Floyds beer and mega-hopped beers are their thing.

There is a lot of pine in the taste as well. Somewhere in there meek hints of dark chocolate and coffee attempt to make themselves known, but are crushed behind a wall of pine. This would be great if Three Floyds called this a black IPA, but they don't, they call it a porter, and I'm having trouble figuring out what is supposed to make this beer very porter-like.

Mouthfeel is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

The drinkability of this beer is pretty good, goes down easy.

Overall this is a pretty good beer, but it is certainly not worth $8.99 for a 22 oz bottle.

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

This beer pours a dark red/Black; meaning it is opaque and looks black but does contain some red highlights. It has a nice 2-3 finger head and significant lacing.

Smell: From the moment I cracked open the bottle before I even got to start pouring it I got a FULL nose of a bold sweet, malty beer. Nice. After pouring it, I got subtle hints of hops and pine, chocolate and barely a bit of espresso hiding in the back of the aroma.

Taste: I lift the glass of this beautiful, nice smelling beer to my mouth for a sip and SMACK!!! ‘Holy green hoppy pine batman’, that was unexpected. ewe. Wow, what an intense overwhelming flavor of eating tree. I think there is some sweet caramel under there but I don't know if I can make it through the forest to find it on every sip; I just can’t get past the pine. If dragon breath was made of pine, the aftertaste would be a pine/fire breath across my tongue. If you like pine, go for it. This beer is for you. For me it is simply a flavor I don't care for. I was sitting beside my artificial Christmas tree and I thought it turned real and jumped into my glass. It was mostly the aftertaste that made me pucker so drastically.
I did pull out some Danish Havarti, cheese after a bit and things did begin to improve. As the beer reached room temperature and the bottle neared the end, I did find myself wincing less, and maybe even enjoying it. With a nibble of cheese after each sip, the aftertaste no longer bothered me so much. I thought about moving my rating up to 3.5 pushing 4; but that is the beer cheese combo not the beer alone. So I'll stand by my rating with the note that the cheese salvaged it and made it a good experience.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is initially light and thin; crisp and a bit bitey. A little swishing brought out the malty creamy feel, but I had to look for it.

Drinkability: This beer started off being even hard to stomach because of the extreme flavors. As my palate warmed up to it, the pine mellowed into a less extreme taste of coffee and became increasingly drinkable. The 'Loudness' of this beer makes it one to work on; not one that goes down very easily.

My review does seem to be a different experience than many other people had; but that is just my opinion.

I originally gave this beer a 2.5 for the taste. I am leaving my original review because it was my honest impression with that experience. This time round I found it to be a bit less cloying than I did last time so I increased the taste to a 3.0 rating for this experience. I stand by the opinion that if you like the pine flavor you’ll like this, if you don’t, beware.

Hope this is helpful.

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Darkest cherry with a short, ashen brown collar.
Fragrant of burnt coffee, burnt spruce, burnt pine, burnt grapefruit, and vanilla bean (unburnt). There is also a mellow, almost illusory cognac impression deep down in.
Begins with a thickened molasses and chicory maltiness that grows to encompass prune and black raisins and bakers chocolate. It ventures even farther, as rasping cigar smoke and oily espresso shatter forth, then subside to a caramel glaze and oaky vanilla (a la bourbon) sweetness. The next shattering moment is delivered by the hops. All wintergreen menthol, spruce tips, grapefruit rinds, and pine rosin. It's oily, and it is forceful, and it is bitter as hell, but equal on the hop associated flavors. At the close there are lingering burning leaves, a dusting of coffee grounds, a tweak of sugary, red grape vinousness, and more sugared evergreen branches.
Generally medium bodied, teetering possibly thinner, but well situated within the porter domain, with its steady sense of diffuse fleece.
Price not withstanding, this is endlessly gulpable. A fattened hophead porter. If I could get this in sixpacks for the price of the bomber, I'd drink it all season....but that seems to be the case with all of FFF's specialties.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

Picked up a bomber at Riley's here in Madison. At 8.99 a bottle, my biggest beer splurge to date.

Pours crude oil black with a couple fingers of capuccino froth. Nose is vibrant and clean, with notes of menthol/piney hops, tabacco, espresso beans and dark chocolate cocoa. Taste is a tale of two beers, reminded me a lot of Founders Black Rye, with the juxtaposition of big floral hoppiness and chocolately roasted malts. Mouthfeel was rich and creamy. This is an impressive American porter, I don't know if I can put it above the Edmund Fitzgerald though, certainly not on value. At half the price it's a steal, at $9/bottle it's a one time indulgence.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

It poured form the bottle a dark brown to black with some ruby highlights, and a dense, tan head that stuck around for ages, and left a clumpy lace on the side of the glass. The nose is an explosion of grapefruit hop along with espresso and chocolate, just a hint of toffee on the finish. The taste? WOW. This is a porter. More grapefruit and orange right up front. The espresso and chocolate are a bit muted in the flavor. There is a touch of dark roasted malt on the finish. Man is this beer a hop bomb. Thick, wonderfully rich mouth feel. Great drinkability, no real heat from the alcohol. Merry Christmas 3 Floyds!

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

22oz bottle aged a year
Right when I opened this I could smell the hops!
Pours a very dark reddish brown with a foamy thick tan head. Lingering head.
Smells of strong high octane hops and an underlying malt presence. Everything is maksed by the hops though.
The first thing that comes to mind for taste is the body. Very smooth and rich. Hoppy and delicious. Malts hit the palate more towards the end of the hop bite. Dark tasty malts in the aftertaste that stay with you. There is a spice to this beer but mainly I taste hops and roasted malts. Complex beer and it is a great one. Merry Christmas Alpha Klaus!

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

22 oz bomber, no date, but I know it's 2005. Poured into an imperial pint, dark opaque black with a slight reddish hue, 3 fingers of light brown head, good retention, nice lacing. Smell is very very hoppy for a porter, somewhat piney, some nice dark chocolate and roasted coffee lingering. Taste is more of the same, a wonderful rich chocolate, roasted malt, espresso, all overlaid with a strong hop taste. Mouthfeel is full and rich and creamy. Very very nice porter, I love the hops, great seasonal.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

22oz bomber, Sams-suburban chicago, a whopping $8.99 bomber

popped to celebrate bears and giants W's

appearance: wicked awesome bottle, as usual from FFF. Pours a silky dark, almost black, color. creamy chocolate brown head forms with nice lacing...some ruby highlighting

smell: dark and robust chocolate, characteristic of fresh hopppiness always found in 3F brews. roasty and creamy, some light toffee, coffee bean, cocoa poweder

taste: silky smooth and delicious, fresh and clean hoppiness, milk chocolatey. full flavored, some dark fruitage, raisin, toffee. Quite hoppy for a porter, very enjoyable

mouthfeel: silky smooth, quite nice

drinkability: very very drinkable

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Enjoyed this gem with dessert on Thanksgiving. The beer poured a dark brown with hints of red. The head was tan and well-represented, leaving a nice head on the glass. The smell was full of chocolate and Pacific Northwest Hops. Taste was reminiscent of many good porters I have sampled in the past. The alcohol was high but very unnoticeable. I could have drank more of this beer. Find a bomber and enjoy!

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Had this from a 3 Floyds bomber. Looked dark and thick, had the trademark 3 Floyds smell (maybe they use the same hops in many of their beers?). Really good taste too.

I don't try too many porters, I guess I never got into them all that much. But this one was good. I'll have it again in the future, especially if I can find it in smaller bottles.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.