Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Added by zerk on 12-06-2002

Reviews: 749 | Ratings: 2,167
3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

My introduction to Three Floyds.
Pours black, small white head, nothing out of the ordinary for a porter so far..
Smells of coffee and... hops? Wait - isn't this a porter?
Initial taste is coffee, malt & hints of chocolate, quickly followed by hops hops hops. More like a black IPA than a porter.
Smooth in the mouth, but dries you out. The carbonation made it feel almost foamy.
Overall tasted great, and i would definitely have again, though it wasn't what i expected from a "christmas porter."

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Yet another selection from my Three Floyds monthly beer sampling: Alpha Klaus. And I must say, it’s been too long; if I’d had it my way, I’d have had this beer on the first of the month. Still, I’m lucky enough to be trying it, so I’m grateful. Here’s to the beginning of the holiday season!

A: A smooth, shining black body; looks dark yet lively, perfect for the weather. A testament to how foam should develop, the head on this boasts a hearty three-fingered brown cream on first pour. It condenses to a silky dark tan silk, with a trail of thick, textbook lacing in its wake. Retention is slight, but it’s the only thing keeping this one from a perfect look.

S: An odd array of aromas: in the beginning, for instance, I’m getting a big whiff of chocolate malts, coffee, and pumpkin pie spice, but not without a thick anise/medicinal scent. It reminds me a bit of Stone’s 15th Anniversary Black IPA, which had a stomach-churning nose I really didn’t like. In this case, though, it’s just a fleeting moment that’s overtaken by a rich aroma of dark chocolate and even more holiday spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, candied fruits, and other strange potpourri). Rounding it out is a very piney hop bitterness, which blends quite well with the semi-sweet chocolate. Quite a complex nose, but with a strong foundation of rich chocolate.

T: Not as strong as the nose let on, but with just as much chocolate: the palate warms up with a taste of gooey chocolate brownies and chocolate-covered almonds. It’s fudgy and delicious, but more on the bittersweet/pure cocoa side to pump up the hops as they climb toward the front. Believe me, though, these powerful pines need no help to be noticed, seeing as their tart presence instantly takes command; the chocolate, though, does seem to soothe the beast. Instead of overpowering blasts of style-busting pines, they move more into the realm of earthy cocoa powder. Bitter, though in a complex way. After, loveably fresh flowers provide a smooth leafy foundation for a few flavors of herbs and Christmas spice. Finish is dry and roasty – still pretty earthy.

M: Light and watery, like an English Porter, though not without its American prickliness. Not mouthcoating or anything else: overall, the feel is pretty much 50/50 of just those first two textures.

O: This is good beer, though not my favorite combination of flavors. It’s a big chocolate dream, powered by a bitter sting of pine-cone hops, which are two elements that are right up my alley. But, while these flavors have some great moments, I don’t think this beer will ever be one of my favorites. Pick one up, though; it’s pretty tasty!

First had: on tap at Miller's Pub, Chicago, IL

Poured a murky dark brown with a foamy tan head that retained well and left some sticky lace on the glass. Smooth toasty caramel malts in the aroma, complimented by big piney hops and a chocolatey essence. The taste followed the aroma, with lots of caramel, chocolate, pine, with notes of cinnamon and brown sugar. Smooth and satisfying, medium-almost-full-bodied, and pleasantly drinkable.

2011 Bottle

A: Dark brown color by pour and has a tan colored head that is pretty prominent. Carries a nice, thick lace during the drink.

S: Roasted malts and hoppy/bitter. Coffee maybe?

T: Malted porter nature but has a bitter flavor at the end. Has a piney quality that wasn't expected. No real aftertaste that holds. Kind of light.

M: Thicker feel during the drink. Sweet, hoppy.

Overall, I enjoyed this porter. Much hoppier than most that I have had recently, so it was a good change of pace. I will look forward to having again next year, but I won't go out of my way to get it.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

22oz bottle opened by someone generous at a recent tasting.

A: Pours a raisin brown with a finger of dark foam that faded into a thin collar of a head.
S: Sweet smelling with a bit of chocolate, coffee and dark fruits.
T: Dark fruits dominate. I get flavors of nuts, chocolate, cinnamon, and leather in the aftertaste with a bit of smoke as well.
M: Medium-thin body, low carbonation, creamy mouthfeel that goes down smooth. The alcohol is barely noticeable but not super distracting.
O: Solid porter for sure. Great sweetness and balance. I can’t wait to try this again.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Thanks to ybnorml for this one. I forgot I had it, sat around for about 7 months.

Pours a black color, nice carbonation, nice creamy tan head which lasts for quite awhile, very nice sticky lacing throughout the drink. The nose is of slight sweet malts, slight vanilla, and coffee/caramel. The taste follows the nose pretty much, their is a nice bitter finish. Medium body. Drinkable, a nice offering from 3Fs.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

A: solid black with hue of dark brown/mahogany, trace head evident. good lacing occurred.

S: coffee, roasted nuts, bitter chocolate, malt.

T: sweet chocolate and malt up front with hint of roasted nuts and bitter in the finish.

M: medium body, very smooth pour and drink. a little more carbonation than I like in my porters, but the flavors make up for it.

D: Quite good. Not my favorite porter, but a good one and nice offering by Three Floyds; give it a spin.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

I drank this from a 22 oz bottle into my rochefort chalice.

This beer pours black with about 2 fingers of medium tan head. The retention is really good as it takes about 5 minutes to go down completely. As it falls there a nice chunks and lots of soapy lacing that covers all sides of the glass.

The aroma is very very strong. It smells like smoke which is amazing to me, never smelled that in anything other than a rauch. There are also some notes of oak and coffee.

The taste is also wood/smoke that is quite intriguing. I would have thought this was a smoked porter. There are small hints of hops and coffee.

The beer is very heavy on the palate but limited in drinkability.

3.82/5  rDev -8%

Sampled on 12-5-09

Pours a very deep black, with just a hint of blood red at the bottom of the glass. Almost no head, just a cluster of tan colored bubbles.

Smell is all big malt, tons of complexity. Strong aromas of anise and smoke, maybe a little cinnamon and clove. The end is all chocolate, with a kind from the hops. Outstanding.

Taste has a "Christmas" edge that totally ruins things. A spice I can't quite place, maybe mint, dominates the flavor. The malt is fresh and tart, and the booze adds extra bite.

Mouthfeel is good, maybe a little too thin and a little too much carbonation.

Drinkability is not so hot, only because I'm not a fan of the flavor.

Overall, reminds me of an Anchor Christmas, which I don't like. Try it though, If your tastes are different.

3.82/5  rDev -8%

From a 22 oz. bomber, courtesy of an unknown Beachwood patron,

A: Pours a dark brown with a medium tan head, spotty lace.

S: Dark chocolate, Dutch cocoa, hint of coffee, charcoal, straight up porter nose.

T: Creamed coffee, dark chocolate with a nice roasted malt undecurrent. Well made, classic flavours.

M: Medium-bodied, drying finish, crisp carbonation.

O: A beer I had a long time ago, well before I was a BA, so it was cool to revisit it. I remember when this you to be in the old Top 100. I don't think it's that good, but it's very solid and a nice holiday treat.

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%

Served in a tulip.

APPEARANCE

The beer is very dark and it looks thick, much like a stout. The head was huge, light brown, and has tiny bubbles which makes it look like a big fluffy pillow. Lacing was pretty high, and this beer looks gorgeous!

SMELL

Tons of chocolate in this guy. It's a nice sweet and milky chocolate smell, and is followed by slight coffee smell. There is a nice citrus hop smell that's to be expected with a Three Floyds beer. Very nice roasted malt notes. It smells wonderful!

TASTE

Chocolate is the number one flavor in this beer. It starts off as a nice milky taste, then finishes as a bitter dark chocolate. There's some nice coffee notes as well as some lovely citrus hops. I don't taste any Mexican sugar, but I'm assuming that it fermented out. This is a really nice porter!

MOUTHFEEL

This beer is very drinkable. It starts off with a nice medium body, but finishes dry and bitter. It's not as thick as it looks, but the small bubbles make it slightly creamy.

OVERALL

Fantastic porter! It's. It's a nice balance between bitter and sweetness, and it would work well as an after dinner beer. The citrus hops are nice, and they don't overpower at all. Very nice "festive cousin" to Alpha King!

Cheers.

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%

Alpha Klaus pours brown, almost black with a huge, creamy tan head that faded quickly. The aroma was predominately coffee. The taste was also coffee with an alcohol taste as it warmed up. Carbonation is not all spent in the head, medium body. Drinkability is OK. Not bad for a porter, but Three Floyd's missed their usual mark of excellence.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured into a goblet, appeared as dark cola and had a scant tan head (I could have poured it with more vigor). Smelled spicy, with pine, coffee/espresso/roasted malts and a hint of toffee. The bittering hops were fairly prominent in the taste. Started sweet (not cloying) then some good piney hops which gave way to chocolate/coffee and a finishing bitter. Medium body, medium-low carbonation. Just a tad sticky on the palate. A really nice porter - certainly a good, warming brew to enjoy on a winter's day.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my glass.

A - Pours out black with a tan creamy head. Head retention is minimal as it quickly faded to a tan ring of foam. Little to no lacing.

S - Sweet roasted caramel malts, dark chocolate, dark fruits and some slight earthy hops.

T - Coffee and roasted malts are dominant. Dark chocolate becomes more apparent as it warms, with some earthy hops for a little bitterness. Sweet but not to sweet.

M - Medium bodied moderate carbonation. Slightly bitter and dry on the finish.

D - Good beer here, just didnt wow me. Im guessing may be better fresh, but still a pleasure to try and to drink. Not hot and boozy an easy drinker.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Big thanks to Bluejacket74 for hooking this up- it's like Christmas in July!!!

A- Poured from the bottle with a dark tan head, which slowly receded to reveal some nice lacing over-top a completely opaque dark brown body. No visible carbonation.

S- Smells of roasted and stewed malts, some faint metallics, some piney hop aroma, and impressions of dark chocolate. Quite complex in the nose.

T- More roasted malts hit the palate than stewed malts. Midway you get some moderate high-alpha piney hops along with impressions of dark chocolate. The hop bitterness surges a bit in the finish, and lingers piney on the tongue. A little more one-dimensional on the palate than I had hoped (perhaps because this is an older bottle), but still quite enjoyable.

M- Medium body with a little bit of texture, presumably from unattenuated sugar. Moderately soft carbonation. Slight astringency. Appropriate for the style.

D- Perhaps the one-dimensionality comes from age on this bottle... just a little too simple and a little too skewed to the bitter side than I would have liked. Despite the average drinkability, I would still seek this out again.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

The Klaus poured a deep mahogany color that when held up to the light looked a deep cherry red. Head was thick and airy which slowly reduced in size. The aroma is an insane amount of hops that seem to be primarily cascade but I could be wrong. Really pine-like and reminding me of spruce and Christmas trees. There’s an underlying aroma of roasted malt and hints of cocoa or chocolate. This is definitely not normal. Think a cascade chocolate malt. Body is creamy and smooth. Flavor is most original in my opinion. Almost indesrcribable. Hops are really in the flavor and it’s taking me some time to get a grip on this brew. There’s a good amount of chocolate malt here giving some cocoa flavors along with the piney citrus hop flavors that are trying to blend. I’m not sure whether they really do though. Has some uncomfortable bitterness in the finish. By the way, the alcohol is invisible but slowly kicking in. Overall a very unique seasonal. One I enjoyed, yet one that puzzled me to no end.

P: 22 fl oz bottle in to a globe glass

A: SRM is dark brown. Opaque. Head is light tan, 1 in, dissipates to line the top of the beer. Medium/light carbonation. Light lacing.

S: True to form, very hop forward. Light notes of light roasted malt.

T: Hops come off on initial palate, then a traditional porter flavor hits. Aftertaste is just a touch bitter and dry. Alcohol is slightly noticable.

M: Medium/heavy body. Carbonation gives additional body. Hops and malt stimulate the palate and aftertaste serves as a counterpoint of mouthfeel as compared to the initial mf.

O: A solid porter at its base, but hop infused as all things 3F are. No complaints, but not "wowed" by this beer. Would mosdef drink this again.

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%

The way a porter should look. It's as black as night. The head is relatively thick with lots of different sizes of bubbles. The head is a toasty looking brown and it's got good retention.

I'm not sure what the make of the smell. It's not that it's bad, just strange. There is a slight roasty malt scent, as well as a hint of chocolate, but there's something else there. It's sort of a pine tree scent, but not like an IPA. It smells festive, but I'm not sold that the smell works.

Taste is pleasant, with mild chocolate nibs, roasted malty flavors, and piney hop flavors.

Deeply complex with sweetness early on. The sweetness gives way to bitter and slightly acidic. There never is any kind of creaminess that I was hoping for. Medium bodied, a bit more alcohol would be great.

This beer was all over the place. Some things were good about it, and other things merely average. All in all, I rate it head and shoulders above average, but not quite good.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

I don’t quite grasp the hype surrounding this beer. It’s quite good but I don’t see why it’s worth paying so much for it when equally or better brews like the Fitz, Tommy, and Great Dane’s Cascade or Black Earth are available for half the price.

Pours a bronzed cocoa with moderately lasting sticky white-brown head.

Smells of citrus hops and cocoa, dark roasted malts and grape fruit. Also bits of anise.

Tastes cakey but also of iced down chocolate milk. A bit thinner than I would like, fluffier too. I want cream and am only getting iced milk. Sweet front, dry finish.

Very drinkable.

I’ll pick of a bottle of this and try it again soon. Maybe their was something wrong with the keg I had or my taste buds that night but like I said, I don’t get the hype.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

Sat down last night with a couple of friends and a 22 oz bomber of Alpha Klaus. Poured into a large Medieval Times glass which resembled something halfway between a weizen glass and a tulip. Worked well enough. Appearance was at first a deep, impenetrable brownish black with a dense tan head that subsided rather quickly. Smell largely consisted of a floral hop bouquet that instantly lets you know you're about to quaff a FFF brew...even so, I was expecting a bit more from the nose given the dark and intriguing appearance. Taste followed smell in the hops department, but also revealed a roasty malt and subtle dark chocolate character that gave way to some alcoholic presence. Mouthfeel was smooth and lightly creamy, with enough carbonation to make it lively. I didn't have any trouble finishing the entire bomber by myself, and I'm a pretty small guy, but I don't think I would drink this on a regular basis. I can see this being nice on a cold Christmas eve near the fireplace, but as far as regular consumption is concerned, I'll take a Sinebrychoff, please.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes taken 1/14/14.

I got a finger of light brown foam on top of a deep brown, nearly black body. The head had ok retention and light lacing.

Initial sniff reveals chocolate and hops. This was hoppier than expected. I got grapefruit and tropical fruit as I was attempting to discern the hop aromas.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours with a above average thickness and dark brown color. The head is a creamy rich texture and a medium brown color. Heavy lacing left behind at each level. Below average active carbonation in glass while drinking.

Smell: The english malt stands out accompanied by a bittersweet medium bodied chocolate aroma. Plenty of roasted, burnt coffee malt presence that mixes well with a heavily spiced aroma. True to FFF beer, there is a substantial hop backbone driving itself through and making this a truly unique brew.

Taste: The spices and hops in this brew jump out right away. Dry, the front is so dry and bitter. Heavy dark chocolate and coffee accents just punish the palate. The back end of this brew lightens up a little bit to the feeling of a more traditional porter but the spice tones continue to ring through.

Mouthfeel: Heavy huge bitter front which transitions nicely toward the back end with resonating spiced tones throughout.

Overall: A really unique brew from FFF. Have to look forward to them putting their own twist on traditional beer styles. I enjoyed this one but wouldn't go out of my way for it again.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Black with a frothy almond. Scent of dark chocolate, roasted malts, dank hops and coffee beans. Taste of roasted malts, coffee beans, dank hops, chocolate and dry dark fruit. A little harsh until it warms up a few degrees.

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%

I bought this bottle at Lone Hill Liquors in Glendora, CA.
I was excited for this since Stan pulled it out of his personal stash from the back. Came with a $13.99 price tag.
Looked about like every other porter in the world, dark brown, almost black with a big tan head that stayed for a while.
Smell was good, lots of roasted malts and hops
Taste was good but way less than what I expected
Mouthfeel was preety good. Full but smooth and slick
Drinkablity was good. It's a good beer but nothing spectacular.
It's tough to live up to the 3F name and this is the only beer from Munster that has not really thrilled me. I love 3F's use of hops, but it seems a little excessive in the Porter.
Can't wait to try again the Dark Lord, Dreadnaught, Gumballhead, Behomthe Blonde, Robert the Bruce and Alpha King though. I have been fortunate enough to try many of the hard to find (in the West) beers from 3F, and I want more

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber poured into a snifter. No bottled on date listed.

A- Pours black with a small amount of tan head. Has a thin feel/ look to it.

S- Smells of chocolate and lots of roasty malts. Almost an aroma of chili peppers in there as well.

T- Starts off slightly bitter with some citrus hop characters. The roasted malts then come through, along with an overall sweetness coupled in with some chocolate flavors.

M- Thin to medium bodied, nicely carbonated, bitter yet roasty. An easy drinker. Has an almost spiciness in the back end of the mouth feel.

A nice offering from FFF. This is not a beer I would buy again as porters don't come high on my list but I don't regret buying it.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.