Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

A darker than cola brown with a head that doesn't die. It leaves some decent lacing as well.

Honestly this smells like a Snickers bar to me haha. I get chocolate, nuts, and caramel with some creamy roastiness. Also a hint of spicy hops.

It tastes really similar to the smell. A really great chocolate and roasty flavor with some nuttiness and a dry slightly hoppy finish.

Nice and creamy and smooth. Easy to down with not a hint of the 7.5% abv.

One of the best porters I've had to date. I've only had this one with some age on it but it is excellent.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Thanks bgramer for this large capped bottle, poured into a snifter.

It is quite dark, one shade below pitch black, with a minimal head that disappears in seconds.
Aroma is mostly coffee, with some roasted malts that are a bit understated, and citrusy hops. I also thought it is a bit thin on the palate, particularly considering the high ABV.
Taste is as expected, with less roasted malts than I like, and more hops than I expect for a porter.
Ok, but I was expecting more from Three Floyds. The hops do not really blend that well here.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a solid black with a creamy off white head that sticks around for a while before attaching itself to the sides of my glass. Aroma is chocolate, bitter roasted malts, throw in a slight alcohol aroma as well. Tastes of chocolates and coffees, reminds me more of a stout than a porter, but that line is so blurry these days. Smooth creamy mouthfeel with a hint of hops in the finish. Ample carbonation. Solid brew all around.

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

pours a murky black into a British pint. Enormous frothy head lasts and lasts, leaving a nice cap and thick, chunky lacing. Aroma is a beautiful bouquet of coffee, chocolate, caramel, and floral and piney hops. Chocolate and coffee on the tongue, with pine and earth from the hops, and some vanilla and roastyness. Bubbly carbonation takes away from the creamyness, but its still very drinkable for the ABV.

This was a wonderful surprise! A porter unlike any I've had so far. Chocolaty, yet hoppy; thick, but not syrupy. An overall fantastic brew. One that I'll be looking for again. Huge thanks to younger35 for the opportunity!

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a very dark brown (almost black) with a finger of creamy tan head. Retention is fantastic with a thin layer that just won't quit and leaves nice thick lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is Wow! Quite the robust aroma here with notes of chocolate, molasses, and coffee that are enveloped in a fresh smelling bouquet of floral hops and citrus.

That taste seems just a tad more subdued to me than the aroma is still wonderful. Chocolate, molasses, and caramel sweetness are well balanced out by roasted malts, zippy coffee notes, and some grassy feeling hops in the backend. The mouthfeel is mellow and creamy with an easygoing feel and a dry finish. I absolutely can not believe that this beer is almost 8%, it drinks that smoothly. Very nice!

Wow, this is definitley one of thee finest Porters I've had, American or not. I especially loved the use of the hops, which gave the aroma and taste a lively take on things that perfectly complimented some of the other tried and true flavors. Complex and hugely drinkable, this is definitely a winner in my book.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

A-Pours a deep rusty brown with a nice frothy tan head. Very nice lacing.

S-Smells of caramel and malt.

T-Tastes of coffee with a little bit of toffee and malt. A bit of hoppy bitterness in the finish.

M-Nice mouthfeel with medium carbonation and a little lingering bitterness.

D-Nicely drinkable and smooth. I will kindly have another please.

HV

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to dschuster03 for the trade.

Pours a very deep black with a decent off white head. Nose is quite robust with coffee and roasted malt. Roasted malt dominates here, but coffee makes a small appearance. A good bitterness on the finish. Would like to see that mellow a bit with age. alcohol is relatively well hidden. mouthfeel is good, could be just a bit more viscous. Drinkability is quite good, especially since this guy is a little bit amped up at 7.5% Overall a fantastic porter, one I will surely trade for again, and put a little age on to see what happens. Should be good. Is already quite spectacular fresh. Good beer.

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Sat down last night with a couple of friends and a 22 oz bomber of Alpha Klaus. Poured into a large Medieval Times glass which resembled something halfway between a weizen glass and a tulip. Worked well enough. Appearance was at first a deep, impenetrable brownish black with a dense tan head that subsided rather quickly. Smell largely consisted of a floral hop bouquet that instantly lets you know you're about to quaff a FFF brew...even so, I was expecting a bit more from the nose given the dark and intriguing appearance. Taste followed smell in the hops department, but also revealed a roasty malt and subtle dark chocolate character that gave way to some alcoholic presence. Mouthfeel was smooth and lightly creamy, with enough carbonation to make it lively. I didn't have any trouble finishing the entire bomber by myself, and I'm a pretty small guy, but I don't think I would drink this on a regular basis. I can see this being nice on a cold Christmas eve near the fireplace, but as far as regular consumption is concerned, I'll take a Sinebrychoff, please.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Alpha Klaus pours a deep, dark, blackly brown with rosey highlights, and a slim but creamy tan lid that slips quickly to leave some nice lacing.

Sniffs deliver bitter-sweet chocolatey, black coffee, roastedness twirling with citric and piney hops, and cinnamony spice.

And . . . The flavor matches it step for step. It's full, soft, creamy, and smooth. It's dry, bitter, and roastedness comes in perfect amounts, and lingers in the finish.

This is a dynamite chocolatey-roasted, hopped up, spiced up, porter. Sure do love this stuff.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received this brew from the ever generous TheodorHerzle some time ago. I've been sitting on this one for awhile and I'm excited to try it. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- Pours a dark brownish red that allows the faintest amount of light to seep through about a quarter inch around the glass. A fluffy one finger medium tan head that recedes fairly quickly leaving a lily pad cap and thick collar with some randomly sticky lacing.
Smell- You could smell the hops in this bad boy upon opening. Some fairly vibrant citrus notes are present along with some piney hoppy goodness. Plenty of chocolate and cocoa give it that familiar Porter nose. Mixed with the hops it reminds me of chocolate covered mints.
Taste- Definitely some solid Porter familiarity here with the ever present hoppiness that you'd expect from FFF. Rich and chocolaty, it's fairly roasted and gritty with a dark roasted coffee aspect that seems to hang around forever. The real star of this brew is definitely the hops though. Piney and slightly citrus they add a rock solid hop bite that when added to the roasted malt, makes this thing very tasty. A lemony bitterness lingers for what may be days along with a light roasted nuttiness.
Mouthfeel- Medium body with a nice gritty feel and aggressive carbonation.
Drinkability- A very nice unique spin on a Porter that really takes the whole hopped up Porter to the next level. Dangerously drinkable for 7.5% ABV I'm really enjoying this thing immensely, maybe to immensely. I couldn't be any more pleased that a couple more bombers are sitting at my local brew store waiting for my consumption (I traded for this when I stilled live din the North West). Big thanks to Matt for another great beer!

3.06/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a 22 oz bottle

Poured a very dark brown, had minimal lacing and not alot of carbonation.

Smell was a very meaty, savory smell. Hard to explain but it was not at all sweet smelling.

Taste was more along the lines of a baltic porter. It had a savory meaty flavor, and almost a grape skin/grape koolaid flavor i tend to find in all baltic porters i try, and it is a flavor i cant seem to get past to say i like.

It was medium bodied and lacked adequate carbonation for me.

If you like baltic porters you will probably like this one, but i cannot drink them.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

this is an amazing Porter! Its pours a nice dark brown/black. The smell is a coffee smell with a little oatmeal mixed in. The taste is pretty much the same. It leaves a nice taste on the back of my tongue. This is an excellent example of what a porter should be!

Overall, simply a wonderful porter!

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Really nice looking brew. Pours a dark cola brown/black with tinges of cherry red poking thru. A big fluffy 3 finger head builds before dying down to a collar that leaves behind lovely layered lacing, and an oily film.

S: Not as big on aroma as I would have liked, but what I smelled I did enjoy. Nice toasted malts coming at you in waves of dark chocolate with a bit of coffee. Just as you start to enjoy the malty goodness, the hops come cutting thru. The hops yield a nice citrus touch that has an almost floral/green characteristic to them.

T: Man I love 3 Floyds. This one has a wonderful taste from the start. They have built one solid porter here. Tons of burnt cocoa with touches of coffee and smoke. Sweet molasses and a touch of dark fruit make up the middle. Just as you think the flavor will fade into malty oblivion you are smacked across the face by the hops. Tons of floral bitter green c hops come at you in waves of sweet yet bitter citrus fruit. It is like no other porter I have had before. (Go figure coming from 3 Floyds)

M: Medium in body with a lively amount of carbonation. It really clings and allows you to enjoy how multi-dimensional this beer is.

D: Rather drinkable. No hint of the ABV, just malty hoppy goodness in a bottle.

Overall: This is one of those love it or hate it brews. Some of the porter traditionalists will hate what 3 Floyd's has done to this porter. On the other hand I am one of those guys who love brewers who push the envelope. As we know 3 Floyd's never shies away from doing just that. This beer without the blast of hops would be good. I feel as though the added hops bring it to a different level though. That level will be loved by some and hated by others. I find myself in the former group rather than the latter.

I loved Stone 11 for the same reason I love this beer. You can't go wrong with a dark malty brew that has been nitro fueled by the addition of a ridiculous amount of hops for the style.

3 Floyd's keep doing what you do. I'm lovin' it!

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A pretty light-hearted pour into my favorite Ommegang chalice. Dark & ruby-hued, I've seen it before. The tan head barely makes its presence known, & there is no lace to speak of. A little more viscous then I would of thought, but it's only my eyes. They lie all the time.

First off, the chocolate is very obvious. More straight up sugar then caramel, with a pleasant flowery bitterness rounding the scent out. A little simple, honestly enticing. I couldn't sense any alcohol.

Unsweetened chocolate, with a heavy measure of refined sugar, & a little butter to give it that greasy feel, it's almost like drinking fresh coco if you couldn't differentiate much between hot & cold. :P The bitterness is more assertive then hot coco, but because grandma never really made it with enough sugar(preferring to just drop the block of chocolate into the pot & get back to her novelas), it is strikingly similar. Coffee & nutty notes are subtle, but add slight complexity. Childhood memories begin to saturate my brain, but the alcohol isn't far behind.

Carbonation is strong, with the feel being greasy, but the body is moderately light & very fluid.

Someone send me a growler of this stuff next season. Too easy. :)

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. 03/19/08.

Pours a dark brownish black, with almost two fingers of light tan head. Aroma is quite hoppy for what I expect from a porter, with some chocolate, and a little spice.

Taste is interesting. When I first started drinking this, I thought the hops were overpowering. As I got toward the end, and as it warmed, the hops seemed to fade a some, but still a bit on the hoppy side. Didn't get much malty flavor in this. Not very balanced. Some slight roasted chocolate tastes as well, and some spices.

It's full bodied, low carbonation. Sticky mouthfeel afterward. Drinkability is alright, considering the heaviness.

The hoppiness turned me off a bit, and there isn't much spiciness for something that is labeled a winter beer.

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours black with a hint of ruby edges. Big lasting tan head. Smell is damn near perfect, and unmatched by pretty much any porter I've had. Very big roasty malt, slight coffee, some mild sweetness and mild noticeable hops in there as well. Very aromatic and fantastic nose. Nice roasty character. balanced mild sweetness and slightly drying and bittering hops. The hops are just bordering on too much for a porter, but never really get there. Moderate to mildly rich mouthfeel. Hoppy for the style but it works. Soft carbonation and a nice overall uniqueness makes this a must try.

Being a fan of Alpha King, I was looking forward to trying this beer. I poured this out of a bomber into a goblet glass and it was bitter dark brown with quite a head - two-and-half to three fingers worth, slowly gurgling down to a thin film on top.

The smell was roasty - definitely hoppy with some coffee and roasted flavors. The hops added a new dimension to this porter, but felt overpowering. I wonder if it needs mellowing out, or if it's meant to be had fresh. It's definitely sweet and bitter to dry. I'd drink it again, but during the season. It's a seasonal beer for sure, as it's name implies.

A - 1/2" beige head, excellent retention. Sheet of lace. Dark brown close to opaque.

S - Tangy citrus hop. Chocolate and sweet molasses. Cream.

T - Bitter grapefruit mingles with bitter roasted malt. Coffee. Nutty. Orange peel. Seems to have more hops than some IPA's.

M - Full-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel. Long, bitter,tangy finish.

D - Very good drinkability. Unique with athe hopload of an IPA and the roasty porter character.

A- Pours a little dark for a porter, pretty black, a small coffee colored head.

S- Smells way hopped up, like an ipa only with notes of roasted malt.

T- Three floyds definitely has a distinct taste in the hops. Fairly smooth, chocolatey, roasted malt, mint aftertaste. I could definitely see this one being a winner around xmas time.

M- Creamy, tad light on the head.

D- This one is a bit heavy for a porter but still highly drinkable. In my opinion three floyds often doesn't live up to the hype but I have to admit this one was excellent.

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

Poured a very deep black with some dark brown highlights and a very thin head that stayed around to the edges. Nose is hops with a little bit of coffee. Taste is roasted malts with a heavy hand of hops, some coffee. Mouthfeel is the highlight for me on this one--viscous with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Wasn't really a huge fan of this one...too much hop for me sullying up the big maltiness. There's a fine line between balanced and lopsided and I think this one leans too much on the hops.

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

A- Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Pours a root beer color with no head.

S- Dark malts, coffee, chalk. Not overly strong.

T- Hops on the front receding to coffee, and dark chalky malt. You get a strong alpha hop profile throughout. Not quite as malty as I would expect.

M- A bit too carbonated. And a bit too thin for a porter.

D- Overall a well crafted beer but I have lost all the porter notes in this to an alpha taste that I cannot shake from my palate. I want more malt which isn't there. Better on the first few sips than the last of the beer.

4.19/5  rDev +1.5%

Celebrating my one year BA anniversary.

A_Pours a very deep dark brown and gushes up the sides of my mug. Half dark brown liquid half egg cream like foam. Staying power is somewhat exceptional. A domelike appendage sticks out from the rim of the glass, almost a half an inch.

S_Mocha rich chocoale, bitter pine hops, not that strong.

T_Bitter up front and in the behind with a nice sweet chocolate middle. The start is pure roasted malts, the end bitter piney hops. Very well balanced with a good hop character.

M_Rich and creamy, a bit heavier than a normal porter. It does have a creminess that is almost like a nitro-can or tap.

D_Outstanding, as usual from Three Floyds. I could drink a few of these on a cold blustery night.

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

I have the pleasure to taste this beer thanks to a trade with GrizzlyAdams (and Gcurlow for sending me a bottle that I used to tweak this review). Thanks!

Alpha Klaus is a dark brown with ruby highlights and two fingers of light brown head that is both fluffy and sticky.

Alpha Klaus has an aroma that is packed with juicy, bitter, hops. Behind the hops there is a bit of toffee and roasted flavors, but the hops are the star here.

The flavor leans heavily on hops once again, but the malt is a little bit stronger than in the aroma. The grapfruit from the hops mixes with a toffee flavor from the malt. The middle has a pine-resin hop presence that pairs up with a roasted flavor. Some chocolate floats around in there, along with a ton of bitter, citric hops. As the beer warms a coffee flavor developes in the background. The hops definitely dominate here, which is no surprise from Three Floyds.

The mouthfeel is good and creamy with a moderate amount of carbonation. The finish is a little bit oily from the hops. I definitely dig the feel.

Alpha Klaus Xmas porter is a good one. Sometimes I don't like porters that are over-hopped, but this one suits me just fine.

4.36/5  rDev +5.6%

22 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with sman262, thanks for giving me the opportunity to finally try this brew, poured into my Russian River pint glass tonight after a rough day

A-Dark black color with no light shining through, small 1/4 inch tan head that was very creamy, some retention, very impressive lacing

S-Floral hops, hints of oak, some different fruits, mostly roasted malt and a variety of nuttiness, faint coffee, lots of dark chocolate

T-Dry at first with some floral hoppiness, then a little sweet in the middle with hints of cream and coffee, as well as dark chocolate, finishes with a bitterness that I cannot really put my finger on, hint of raisins as it warmed, chocolate really came out then, tasted a lot like its aroma, went down easily

M-Sweet and bitter mouthfeel, small amount of carbonation, thick bodied for a porter, taste lingered nicely, dry on the back of the tongue

D-Could have drank a bomber and then some of this, took a while to drink but very smooth, ABV is not too high, alcohol is hidden, easy to drink

Have been wanting to try this since I initially got into craft beer, did not disappoint and was even better than I thought it would be, one of the better porters I have ever had, wish this was a year round release and available in my area but neither of those is a possibility, I would love to drink this again some time, highly recommended

3.21/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a very dark brown in color. There was at least a two inch head sitting atop this beer. Smell is subdued hops and some chocolate malt. Taste is much more of the malt with a little bitterness as well. There is a grassy and pine flavor of course coming from the hops. Pretty decent medium full on the mouthfeel.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.