Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

(Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002)

Purchased from my local Shop Qwik, I've downed 6 or 7 of these already, I better write up a review on one of these before it's all gone.

Appearance - a vigorous pour gets a moderate head, mocha in color. Thick with good retention and lace. The beer is very dark and lets just a little light through its deep garnet body.

Aroma - strong and piny, mixed with a dark chocolate and roasted malts. A perfect aroma for the holidays.

Taste - everything seems to hit my palate at once. Malts, chocolate, coffee, and of course, a fabulous hop presence that is piny but not overly bitter. The hops stay the course while the other flavors subside. This beer I can best describe as my interpretation of liquid Christmas Tree, bringing joy to all who partake. From the first sniff to the final swallow, it is delicious. Regardless of how much I drink, the empty glass is still like December 26th, always a bit of a letdown but ever mindful that New Year's Eve is but a handful of days hence... :-)

Mouthfeel - the plentiful malts and generous hops give this a heavy, sturdy feel. The rich flavors are kept festive with some moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - are you kidding? I think I spent $100 on Alpha Klaus this year, it's dreadfully delicious. If my refund gets here in time, I may deplete Jungle Jim's of their remaining stock!

brewdlyhooked13, Feb 15, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Package: 22oz. crowned brown bottle. Typically ornate 3F label depicting a green elf-like creature maniacally dropping hops into a full pint of beer. Blurb describes beer as an American version of a London Ale made with English malts, Mexican sugar, and unique hops; and having chocolate and floral flavors and aromas. Additional Christmas-y pictures. No ABV or date information listed, but believed to be this year’s.

Cost: Acquired via trade

Presentation: I figured an Anglo-American ale needed an Imperial pint. ~50º

Appearance: Fairly typical for a porter. Not quite black, with a nice, medium-gauge, light-brown head at first. Unfortunately, the head didn’t last very long, resolving to a thin but intact ½" layer. Bubbles percolating through the beer seemed somewhat large.

Smell: Nice, but somewhat underwhelming. The piney hops were definitely there, along with some coffee notes; but little in the way of the thick maltiness I expect in a porter, much less one modeled on an English ale. Not much in the way of floral notes either. Primarily pellet hops and pine.

Taste: Hops make the first impression, with a sharp, citrus-pine tingle. The next impression is of a very nice bittersweet coffee flavor, which turns out to be the highlight on the palate. There were some faint cocoa notes, but they may have been part of the deep, multilayered coffee flavors. There was no hint of alcohol (too little, really) and not much follow through. The finish was fairly short and dry, leaving mostly a preponderance of hops and some of that delicious coffee.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thin and austere. The malts were underplayed, and the very low alcohol sensation robbed this of some of its impact. The flavors were all too fleeting in the mouth, with little finish. I also thought that this was a touch overcarbonated, more like an IPA in texture than a traditional porter.

Drinkability: While not unpleasant, nothing really stands out about this beer for me. Because I can think of several well-hopped and traditional porters I prefer, this ranks fairly low on the drinkability scale. Furthermore, the high cost and limited availability make searching this out a somewhat dubious proposition.

Backwash: To be fair, this was based on only two bottles from the same source, but I feel they were somewhat representative. I hope that the draught version is much better and I get to try it. Still, this is the first Three Floyds beer that I’ve found to be disappointing, especially after being so eager to try it. Aside from some nice coffee flavors, this wasn’t very flavorful in a multi-dimensional way and not much akin to any English ales or porters I can think of. Sure, the hops are there; but the malts were weak and the body and mouthfeel were thin. Especially after drinking some other porters recently, I found this a bit wanting. Not anything like a Fuller’s London Porter and a classy Imperial Stout. I’d take either of those (esp. the Fullers) over this in a heartbeat.

Dantes, Feb 14, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Deep and very dark brown, nearly black with slivers of glowing amber at the bottom. Finger high foam of light tan sits atop for a good stay. Lacing coats in a thin sheeting eventually breaking into webbings all around the glass top.

Mild chocolate and roasted sweet malt mix with a nice and clean floralesk piney hop start the nose off with a decorous medley. Other mentionables beyond the milk chocolate make for some charred brown sugar and a lovely bourbon laced molasses under current. Impressionable and close to cloning an Imperial stout-like nose. Sometimes wiffs were lighter then others; seemingly changing and without much stability but well worth it when the strength assumes control.

Great flavors here, super fine balance between a sweet and soft chocolate cake backing that continues to lift itself through the softer yeilding piney hops that perk with a incredibly nice and easy bitterness. Very nice to behold. The chocolate borders a coffee roastyness while maintaining its full-on chocolate cake-like fluffyness and richness. The subtle but eager piney edged hops blend across and within the chocolate without much effort and fit together with a swimmingful smoothness. Great finisher too. Bits of anise and licorice spice pop to the surface blending with leftover roasted barley and oatmeal along with mirco bursts of heavy roasted coffee. Wow and yum!

Strikingly fine and smooth body, lightly creamy, lightly bittered with swell chocolate tones and piney hops; just past a medium fullness thats very well rounded and clean. Nothing harsh or out of place here. Finish is strikingly subtle, yet complexing with a delicate drying character and all that wonderful leftover stuff.

An excellent porter! A big chocolatey balancing act with hops and bittering bite that holds true, bold,smooth, and rich the hold ride through. This is a top notcher in my book! Goes down quickly without much labor and is just a f*ckin' great beer. Kudos 3F!

And an even bigger kudos to rhoadsrage for the chance to try this wonder!! Yummalishious!

tavernjef, Feb 11, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -1%

Pours dark almost black have to hold to the light to see thru it and notice its redish a nice tan head falls to a ring that leaves some sheet lace.
Aroma is basically chocolate covered pine cone, roasted malt some coffeee hints mixed with the nice chocolate aroma but dominated by pine nice and inviting.
Taste is roasted malt chocolate mixed with some light coffee flavors. The hops start fruity sweet teasing almost then move to bitter grapefruit rind mixed with those pine cones that leave a lingering pine finish on your tounge.
Mouthfeel is good a nice medium little light maybe but still very good.
Drinkability is good a nice porter that is heavily hopped as the name states. Want to think merlin48 for this fine brew.

mntlover, Feb 09, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

from the bottle. poured dark brown, wih granet edges, and a tan head. aroma pine, bitter sweet chocolate, honey, roasted malts, coffee, alcohol, floral. flavor, semisweet chocolate, malts, caramel, fruity, raisins. the hops were not as strong in the flavor as they were in the aroma. nice dry mouth feel

walleye, Feb 01, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +8%

Poured black with some reddish hints peeking through. Noticed this brew was not very thick and syrupy but a tad watery. Huge billowing white head that hung out for the duration of session. Bubbles were very small and made for an almost whip cream texture head.

The smell was piney and roasty. There were some hints of cinnamon and spice but mostly a sweet malty scent.

The taste was incredible. Very earthy and chocolaty with hints of hops and sweet sugars and lactose. Exactly what I'm looking for in a high caliber porter.

I was a bit let down when it came to the mouthfeel. Not a lot of body or complexity. Very watery and a little too oily. Despite this setback, this beer was a Huge Winner with me. Will pick up more next time I make a trip to the east coast.

cncbofh, Jan 25, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

ahh...another brew from secret santa..what a great idea!
I am sampling at room temp in a snifter.
The beer pours a rich dark brown with a tan fluffy marshmallowy head foaming up easily to 3-4 cm.
The head slowly fades to a robust surface layer and by the end of the snifter is only an edge layer.
Aroma is some roasted malt and sweet chocolate, but dominated by piney and grassy hops. I find this typical of the 3F brews I have sampled.
First sip reveals an average body with fine tingly carbonation. Flavor is mild overall with some brown sugar and chocolate mixing for a nice sweet flavor rolling to a slight coffee bitterness. I need to restate, flavor is mild overall, but very tasty.
The body seems to finish a little lite, but I believe this is true to the porter style.
I get the piney hops flavor on the burps, was wondering where the hops from the nose went. Overall this is a mellow smooth easy drinking brew. DOnt let the nose fool you, not a hop monster for sure.
Very nice!

sulldaddy, Jan 25, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

There's a lot going on in this beer for a porter. It pours extremely dark, with a two-finger deep head on it. The head settled down and would create a nice steady lace throughout the glass. The aroma is a very mild spruce, with burnt malts in the background. The tongue comes across as a cornocopia of dark choocolate, Christmas tree, malts, sweet hops, and smokey goodness. The carbonation is perfect for a porter, enough to know it is there and bring out the flavors, but not too much so that it keeps the flavors from reaching the tongue with fizz. But good God, I think I actually found a Christmas/Holiday/Celebration beer I found myself wanting to drink.

MuddyFeet, Jan 24, 2005
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Managed to get a couple of bombers of the Alpha Klaus from my friends at Half Time Beverages, and I was not disappointed. This seasonal porter--they call it a chocolate porter--poured a deep ebony with just enough translucence to reveal the clear, blood red undertone. The head was tall (2 and 1/2 fingers) and toffee/chocolate brown. Not thick frothiness, but sticky. The aroma was a balance of roasted sweet malts and distinct piney hoppiness. This is a hard combination to keep under control, and I was nervous about the taste, but they managed to pull it off. The mouthfeel is medium-thin, and the roasted nuttiness was not cloying. In fact, the sweetness diminshes in the taste--a plus as far as I'm concerned because it enabled the hops to assert themselves appropriately. A slightly bitter finish and, to me, not much chocolate!

longpondbeerman, Jan 22, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Very dark with a thick tan head. The head shrinks down a bit but then sticks around for quite a while. The smell is good, with a mix of roasted malt and chocolate and flowery hops. The taste is very good but also unusual. There is a good balance between malt and hops. The hop flavor is more floral than bitter. The mouthfeel is good. I would prefer a little more body.

bigbubba, Jan 20, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

courtesy of clvand0

poured witha tan fluffy head that faded to an average thickness and clumpy underneath an almost black body. fresh hoppy aroma with a bitter black malt character. moderately thick mouthfeel witha an excellent blend of toasted and chocolate malts. bit on the chewy side without becoming heavy but has some sugary notes. aroma is completely opposite of the taste. grassy and hoppy and finishes with a rich malt finish. very excellent.

shippos, Jan 17, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Chocolate Hops! Hops in coffee! I get the pineyness of Anchor's Our Christmas Ale but then it's a big porter blast. This is an unapologetically ambiguous beer.

It starts as an opaque pour wiht a fine-bubbled, smallish head. The aroma is hoppy so I expect hop. The taste is burnt' It's coffee but the hop seems to bring out sweet. It belches hop and tastes espresso.

Ambiguity in American culture is seldom pondered. This beer is doing a noteworthy nonverbal job. It doesn't speak but it demands I do. I will seek this out next Christmas. Onece again, Three Floyds makes it big with me. It's a pleasure dto live close by.

faernt, Jan 15, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

I picked this up while on the East Coast for the holidays. I've been looking forward to this one for quite a bit but I wanted to figure out a good pairing for it, which I think I did. This beer pours out a deep shade of brown, so dark in fact that it might as well be black to the naked eye. Comparison to light reveals those burgandy/brown highlights. Sticky cappacino foam head here that retains very nicely, leaving fat clumps of lace on the glass as I work my way down. The nose on this beer is robust and lovely, chocked full of chocolate, nice mild coffee tones as well. It doesn't step over into imperial stout territory by getting to charred or roasty. I'd call it down right perfect as far as the smell is concerned. Tastes like no other porter I've had, the front is chocolate covered strawberries and coffee beans, nice and chewy with malts through the middle where the "Alpha" part of the name becomes apparent. The chewy milk chocolate stays present the whole time while melding with piney and grapefruity hop flavors. Bitterness levels are middling, but the flavor of the hops really shines through while playing nice with the rich and layered flavors of the malts the whole time. Wow, grab this one if you have the chance. I know I'll be snagging it up whenever I see more of it. I paired this with New York Strip steak and frites and doused just about everything in shallot/butter/bleu cheese sauce, and it rocked my world.

FormatKid, Jan 15, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Fellow BA Quarre gave us this about a year ago (!) and we are just digging into it now. Lucky for us, it has held up very well :-) Color is dark dark root beer, it had a head to match but it's gone now, just a ring in my glass. Aroma promises all sorts of things, including dark chocolate, make it 60%. Tastewise, one is rewarded with more chocolate notes in the taste, a wider range than found in the aroma. I found the malt to be very prominent, but then the hops hit. The finish is hoppy, but not over the top. I think that's due to the malt being just so present. Solid medium mouthfeel, small fine carbonation. Drinkability is high due to the ease of which this goes down. Bring on this beer!

PatandDavid, Jan 13, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Dark chestnut with rubiginous highlights beneath a large, sturdy cap of light brown foam that displays admirable persistence; the gently rounded surface looks to be at the same level that it was several minutes ago. Random streaks and swirls of chunky lace stick steadfastly to the glass.

The nose is of chocolate covered hop cones and pine boughs. This is about what I expected, but it's still a treat. The sharply citric evergreen aroma is amazingly powerful, yet doesn't quite smother the roasted maltiness that identifies this as a porter. Other than restrained bittersweet chocolate, no other non-hop aromas are evident. Three Floyds and their hop obsession... gotta love 'em.

The flavor, like the nose, wields a hop cudgel and isn't afraid to swing it with force. It tastes like the brewers threw a couple of Christmas trees into the vats and let them sit for a few months. These hops are much more piney than they are citrusy; I'd be curious to know which varieties were used. Although the first several mouthfuls were almost overwhelmingly evergreen-like, I'm now able to discern the malty goodness underneath.

The first half of each mouthful is wall-to-wall hops, while the second half allows cinnamon-dusted, ground coffee bean-flecked, chocolate liqueur to strut its stuff. The malt backbone is rock solid, as it has to be to stand up to the greatest humulus lupulus assault on a porter that I've ever experienced. The mouthfeel is firmly medium with a creaminess that one usually finds only on bigger beers. If your hop tolerance is high, then this beer is as dangerously drinkable as they come.

I had a good idea what Alpha Klaus had in store before I cracked the crown, but that hasn't kept me from being impressed as hell (drinking is believing). While hops are far and away my first love, I also appreciate massively malty beer. Nothing wrong with combining the two into a two-headed beast of epic proportions. Kudos to Three Floyds for sheer audaciousness, originality and further evidence of genius. 'Christmas in a glass', 'the best of both worlds'... whatever you call it, call it great beer.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 11, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

No dating, but from the 2004 batch. Poured a deep, dark, rich, black brown. Deep khaki head that settled down as a thick and creamy head, but left only a dusting with islands drifting across, and a very thick ring of large bubbles. Scents of chocolate, coffee, and darknes. Smooth, luscious creaminess and decently carbinated. Great, dark maltiness and yummy hoppiness. Wonderfully drinkable!

shapudding, Jan 02, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Had this on tap at Rich O's Public House. Pours a very dark color with a small head that doesn't stick around too long and leaves great lacing on the sides. The aroma is very hoppy for a porter, but very nice. The flavor was much less hoppy from the aroma - very well balanced hops here. Big maltiness and creamy chocolate goodness. Wonderful body and exceptionally easy to drink. Loved this one on tap.

clvand0, Dec 29, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Served straight up in a standard pint glass. Poured a lovely velvety black with very little head. Smell was excellent, strong note of pine and sweet malts. Taste was superb. The exuberence of hops produced a strong spruce/pine note that made one reminice of christmas. The hop character was well balanced by the malty porter back note. A great beer. Superb mouthfeel and rather easy to dring. It's just a shame this is a seasonal, and in very limited release here in the mid-atlantic.

sideshowrob, Dec 29, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

An excellently hoppy porter. Spruce pine aroma. Black. A fullmouth treat of quality chocolate on the sweeter side, and hoppiness. Some roast, something dairy, ginger, cardammon, anise, cinammon, grapefruit and other citrus Thanks Wohlfs for bringing in.

Sammy, Dec 26, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

The beer pours jet black with a dense tan head.

Great aroma of roasted malts, some chocolate and a surprising amount of hop aroma.

Very interesting taste. My first impressions are smokey malts, but then I get some bite from the hops. Lots of roasted sweetness, but again, the hops stick their nose in to add a nice twist. Enjoy this beer at cellar temps as if it is served to cold, some of the subtleties are lost. Beer remains rock solid as you work your way through it.

The mouthfeel is oily & slick, the taste just coats your mouth. Drinkability is very good. What a great beer to have by the fire! Another winner from my favorite Hooiser brewers!

Redrover, Dec 24, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

After hearing months of talk, all anxiously awaiting this particular brew, I waited breathlessly for Roger to bring me my 20 oz imperial pint (serverd in a traditional english pint glass). Maybe I need to drink more porters to compare, because this was just not quite as good as I was led to believe it was, although it is quite good. It's just not one of the all time greats.

This was a deep dark black hole of a beer, from which no light could escape. It had a 1/2 inch head of dense creamy tan foam that left slightly less lacing than I expected it to, based on the way it looked.

Smell was pleasant. Lots of sweet malt, with mild toffee and carmel notes.

Tasting this beer was a very very slight let down. I guess that based on all the comments I had been hearing, in my mind I had built this up to be the be-all and end-all of all porters. Now don't get me wrong. This is one darn fine porter. I'm just not sure it's worth getting as worked up over as some people I have seen do.

It's rich, smooth and delicious. Lots of mild sweet malt, small coffee flavor in the finish.

Overall, it's a very good beer.

oracle, Dec 21, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -1%

Served from a 22oz bomber at close to 45 degrees in a brandy snifter. Black oily pour accompanied by a nice 2 finger beige effervescent crown. As with most of the 3 Floyds I've tried the hops came on strong in the scent of this deep brown to black selection. Pine needles, and roasted chestnuts followed subtley. Strong bittery hops grabbed the senses and clung tightly through the entire drink, never leaving the mouth but balanced throughout with a mild dose of chocolate and the aforementioned pine. After both glasses I was ready for bed. Although 7.5 abv it feels a lot heavier but not as thick or hefty as an Imperial Stout. Good for a porter but a tad too heavy on the hops to increase the numbers on the style.

Ahhdball, Dec 21, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Nice looking beer. Can just barely see through the deep garnet at the bottom of the glass when held directly up to a light. Nice beige/tan head that just covers the top of the beer. Really appropriate for a porter I think.

Definately get some hops in the nose. Big brash hops. No locos here. Also get some of the chocolate notes I think, or roasted or black patent or whatever.

Wow. That's a bitter porter. Really nice though. Its really almost an Impy stout really. Reminds me of some of the smaller impy stouts. Maybe not as agressive on the roasted notes, this still has them. Big hops bitterness and a refreshing hop flavor. Really enjoyable. But leaves a bit to be desired in the finish. Just a little rough. Might be the hop bitterness that's rough in the finish.

Mouthfeel is quite good. Little too carbonated for my tastes though. Little too prickly for all those hops. I could have the CO2 toned down just a hint.

Pretty drinkable. Definately tasty and not big enough to prevent me from having a couple bombers...but I'd definately be feeling good after more than 2 or so.

cerevisiaephilus, Dec 18, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

The beer poured black with a ruby highlight and a frothy, tall, large and in charge head that lasted to coat the glass, lace it, and then laugh at it for even trying to attempt to mess with the head formation.

The aroma was hoppy, and the beer was definitely dry hopped. The grassy hop aroma was resinous and powerful. Behind the hop resins was a nice complement of coffee and chocolate that rounded out the aroma.

The flavor was nicely accomplished with a delicate balance of chocolate and bittering. The bittering was not overpowering in the flavor like the aroma might have you to believe. The hops were present and slightly grassy and worked well in balance with the chocolate and slight caramel flavors.

The finish was just dry with a lasting slight chocolate and caramel impression that dried out in the very end to chocolate and bittering. The body was medium full and well done.

22 ounce bottle. A beer with a great nose and a very well achieved balance of flavors. The alcohol never makes an appearance at the party and the drinkability due to the balance was very high.

GCBrewingCo, Dec 15, 2004
4.68/5  rDev +13%

What a winter treat this one is. 22 oz bomber pours a deep dark brown body that is opaque until held to the light, illuminating a ruby tinted clarity. Healthy tan head has garnet fringes and rises a few centimeters, falling into a steady cap with immense patch lacing.
Aroma is hops. Pine, spruce, and grass are obvious, and there are dark roasted malts in the background. Quite interesting to pick up such profound hop aromas from such a dark ale.
The moutfeel is exceptional. I rate a 5 for mouthfeel only when I find myself swirling a sip around in my mouth for several seconds, out of pure enjoyment, pleasure, and wonderment. This has such a mouthfeel. Medium to full bodied, with ample carbonation which bounces the hop bite off the roasted maltiness. Yummy!
Taste is more hops than roasted malt, but both are here in excellent proportion. Pine and grassy hops, with a hint of tangerine, atop a smooth chocolate malt backbone. Roasted coffee bitterness balances, but is mild in taste. Toasty barley malt flavors are constantly peaking through, but the hops really run the show here. This is really a treat to sip and savor.
Unique, fascinating, and exceptional. The best winter seasonal I've ever sampled, and I'm really fond of Mad Elf and Cold Mountain. Judicious use of hops here transforms a very good winter porter into an excellent winter seasonal. Three Floyds has really raised the bar with this superior brew. A big thank you to orbitalr0x is in order.

merlin48, Dec 15, 2004