Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

(Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002)
3.13/5  rDev -24.4%

This beer pours a dark red/Black; meaning it is opaque and looks black but does contain some red highlights. It has a nice 2-3 finger head and significant lacing.

Smell: From the moment I cracked open the bottle before I even got to start pouring it I got a FULL nose of a bold sweet, malty beer. Nice. After pouring it, I got subtle hints of hops and pine, chocolate and barely a bit of espresso hiding in the back of the aroma.

Taste: I lift the glass of this beautiful, nice smelling beer to my mouth for a sip and SMACK!!! ‘Holy green hoppy pine batman’, that was unexpected. ewe. Wow, what an intense overwhelming flavor of eating tree. I think there is some sweet caramel under there but I don't know if I can make it through the forest to find it on every sip; I just can’t get past the pine. If dragon breath was made of pine, the aftertaste would be a pine/fire breath across my tongue. If you like pine, go for it. This beer is for you. For me it is simply a flavor I don't care for. I was sitting beside my artificial Christmas tree and I thought it turned real and jumped into my glass. It was mostly the aftertaste that made me pucker so drastically.
I did pull out some Danish Havarti, cheese after a bit and things did begin to improve. As the beer reached room temperature and the bottle neared the end, I did find myself wincing less, and maybe even enjoying it. With a nibble of cheese after each sip, the aftertaste no longer bothered me so much. I thought about moving my rating up to 3.5 pushing 4; but that is the beer cheese combo not the beer alone. So I'll stand by my rating with the note that the cheese salvaged it and made it a good experience.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is initially light and thin; crisp and a bit bitey. A little swishing brought out the malty creamy feel, but I had to look for it.

Drinkability: This beer started off being even hard to stomach because of the extreme flavors. As my palate warmed up to it, the pine mellowed into a less extreme taste of coffee and became increasingly drinkable. The 'Loudness' of this beer makes it one to work on; not one that goes down very easily.

My review does seem to be a different experience than many other people had; but that is just my opinion.

---
I originally gave this beer a 2.5 for the taste. I am leaving my original review because it was my honest impression with that experience. This time round I found it to be a bit less cloying than I did last time so I increased the taste to a 3.0 rating for this experience. I stand by the opinion that if you like the pine flavor you’ll like this, if you don’t, beware.
---

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Dec 14, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Darkest cherry with a short, ashen brown collar.
Fragrant of burnt coffee, burnt spruce, burnt pine, burnt grapefruit, and vanilla bean (unburnt). There is also a mellow, almost illusory cognac impression deep down in.
Begins with a thickened molasses and chicory maltiness that grows to encompass prune and black raisins and bakers chocolate. It ventures even farther, as rasping cigar smoke and oily espresso shatter forth, then subside to a caramel glaze and oaky vanilla (a la bourbon) sweetness. The next shattering moment is delivered by the hops. All wintergreen menthol, spruce tips, grapefruit rinds, and pine rosin. It's oily, and it is forceful, and it is bitter as hell, but equal on the hop associated flavors. At the close there are lingering burning leaves, a dusting of coffee grounds, a tweak of sugary, red grape vinousness, and more sugared evergreen branches.
Generally medium bodied, teetering possibly thinner, but well situated within the porter domain, with its steady sense of diffuse fleece.
Price not withstanding, this is endlessly gulpable. A fattened hophead porter. If I could get this in sixpacks for the price of the bomber, I'd drink it all season....but that seems to be the case with all of FFF's specialties.

cokes, Dec 12, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Picked up a bomber at Riley's here in Madison. At 8.99 a bottle, my biggest beer splurge to date.

Pours crude oil black with a couple fingers of capuccino froth. Nose is vibrant and clean, with notes of menthol/piney hops, tabacco, espresso beans and dark chocolate cocoa. Taste is a tale of two beers, reminded me a lot of Founders Black Rye, with the juxtaposition of big floral hoppiness and chocolately roasted malts. Mouthfeel was rich and creamy. This is an impressive American porter, I don't know if I can put it above the Edmund Fitzgerald though, certainly not on value. At half the price it's a steal, at $9/bottle it's a one time indulgence.

Golden2wenty1, Dec 11, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

It poured form the bottle a dark brown to black with some ruby highlights, and a dense, tan head that stuck around for ages, and left a clumpy lace on the side of the glass. The nose is an explosion of grapefruit hop along with espresso and chocolate, just a hint of toffee on the finish. The taste? WOW. This is a porter. More grapefruit and orange right up front. The espresso and chocolate are a bit muted in the flavor. There is a touch of dark roasted malt on the finish. Man is this beer a hop bomb. Thick, wonderfully rich mouth feel. Great drinkability, no real heat from the alcohol. Merry Christmas 3 Floyds!

carln26, Dec 11, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

22oz bottle aged a year
Right when I opened this I could smell the hops!
Pours a very dark reddish brown with a foamy thick tan head. Lingering head.
Smells of strong high octane hops and an underlying malt presence. Everything is maksed by the hops though.
The first thing that comes to mind for taste is the body. Very smooth and rich. Hoppy and delicious. Malts hit the palate more towards the end of the hop bite. Dark tasty malts in the aftertaste that stay with you. There is a spice to this beer but mainly I taste hops and roasted malts. Complex beer and it is a great one. Merry Christmas Alpha Klaus!

stewart124, Dec 10, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

22 oz bomber, no date, but I know it's 2005. Poured into an imperial pint, dark opaque black with a slight reddish hue, 3 fingers of light brown head, good retention, nice lacing. Smell is very very hoppy for a porter, somewhat piney, some nice dark chocolate and roasted coffee lingering. Taste is more of the same, a wonderful rich chocolate, roasted malt, espresso, all overlaid with a strong hop taste. Mouthfeel is full and rich and creamy. Very very nice porter, I love the hops, great seasonal.

cubedbee, Dec 10, 2005

22oz bomber, Sams-suburban chicago, a whopping $8.99 bomber

popped to celebrate bears and giants W's

appearance: wicked awesome bottle, as usual from FFF. Pours a silky dark, almost black, color. creamy chocolate brown head forms with nice lacing...some ruby highlighting

smell: dark and robust chocolate, characteristic of fresh hopppiness always found in 3F brews. roasty and creamy, some light toffee, coffee bean, cocoa poweder

taste: silky smooth and delicious, fresh and clean hoppiness, milk chocolatey. full flavored, some dark fruitage, raisin, toffee. Quite hoppy for a porter, very enjoyable

mouthfeel: silky smooth, quite nice

drinkability: very very drinkable

dirtylou, Dec 04, 2005
4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Enjoyed this gem with dessert on Thanksgiving. The beer poured a dark brown with hints of red. The head was tan and well-represented, leaving a nice head on the glass. The smell was full of chocolate and Pacific Northwest Hops. Taste was reminiscent of many good porters I have sampled in the past. The alcohol was high but very unnoticeable. I could have drank more of this beer. Find a bomber and enjoy!

Maestro, Dec 04, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Had this from a 3 Floyds bomber. Looked dark and thick, had the trademark 3 Floyds smell (maybe they use the same hops in many of their beers?). Really good taste too.

I don't try too many porters, I guess I never got into them all that much. But this one was good. I'll have it again in the future, especially if I can find it in smaller bottles.

TurdFurgison, Dec 04, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Served in an imperial pint glass at the brew pub. Very dark with slight ruby tinge around the edges and a tight tan head that sits on top leaving good lace down the glass. The aroma gives you a ton of pine with hints of cocoa and chocolate and dark roasted malt. The pine hops lead initially but the dark malts take over with the malty sweetness and taste of molasses coming from the mexican sugar. The beer finishes somewhat dry with hops again bringing up the rear. Another great beer for the holidays from 3F's

jlh8643, Dec 03, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours an opaque dark brown, red visible on the sides, big tan head forms, nice sticky lace. Smell is coffee/chocolate, roast, then big pine and grapefruit hope blasts. Taste is chocolate, coffee and caramel, with a super resinous piney finish. Mouthfeel is medium to full with low carbonation. True 3F interpretation, my only complaint is that by the end of the glass the hops have killed taste buds enough to weaken the roasty flavour, but other than that spectacular.

Viggo, Dec 01, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +7%

Serving temp: 45F Serving Glass: Mug

Aroma: Piney, earthy smell is pretty assertive at first, with bits of subdued toasty malts & sweetness coming through near the end. The pine smell is obviously the dominant aroma in this one, but not overdone, and more reminiscent of a fresh cut tree in your house rather than fresh growth right in your face.

Appearance: Deep, deep opaque brown. Almost black. An aggressive pour results in an average sized head that hangs on to a thin film after a few minutes, dark tan in color. Great lacing.

Taste: The hops are still very present in the taste, contributing that same earthy pine smell, but is more balanced here than in the aroma. A good amount of sweetness makes itself known almost immediately, and finishes out with a bitterness that fades ti the original pine. Very cool.

Mouthfeel: Modest carbonation & full body make this a very creamy smooth beer. Finish is rather dry and begs you to take another sip.

Drinkability: This would be a great porter for any occasion, but it is especially well suited for the Christmas season with it's unique piney characteristic. I was expecting something a little more adventuresome form FFFs, but this still doesn't dissapoint. I'll be curious to see how a few hold up over the next couple holiday seasons.

SurgeonGeneral, Nov 28, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I got this bomber at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a goblet.

Pours an almost opaque ruby/garnet with brown tints and a two finger head of tan foam. Head eventually falls to islands and a ring, with fantastic lacing throughout the drink.

Aroma is a very complex combination of cocoa, coffee, vanilla, really spicy pine sap, dark fruits like prunes or dates, and big dark bread notes.

Flavor is this huge chocolatey pine needles, on the sweet side, with a fairly big hop bitterness to back it up. Fruits like gin soaked raisins and dates come through. Aftertaste is sweet chocolate, pine sap, and a slightly drying roastiness. Delicious beer!

Mouthfeel is really smooth and creamy, with soft carbonation.There is a nice bite on the tongue from bitterness, and the lips stick together from lingering sweetness. Finish is sweet, very slightly astringent from roasted malts, and slightly warm from alcohol.

This is an absolutely delicious beer, and as a holiday beer, it's perfect. Deep dark chocolate, spicy pine hops, luxurious mouthfeel, and a nice alcohol kick to boot. I need more!

jakester, Nov 24, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

2005 Klaus big bottle served in a large crystal snifter.

Nice color. Quite dark with ruby-red undertones. Little to no head achieved on the pour, however this beer exhibits a nice sticky, chunky lacing when swirled.

Chocolate and enticing malt aromas drift up from the glass. Other olfactory components include spicy hops, mild molasses and a hint of alcohol.

This beer measures up to it's malty aromatics with a good solid mouthfeel. It is full without being thick. The taste is enjoyable. A nice and smooth maltiness at the front with plenty of hop character to balance it out. This beer is super smooth while showcasing moderate flavors throughout before reaching a dry finish.

Chocolate, molasses, spicy hops like a mixture of sage and ground thyme and a smokiness fill out the taste.

This beer is incredibly drinkable for the style. It has lots of flavor without being overwhelming and it doesn't sit too heavily on the stomach. While its price-point and ABV deny it session beer status, it certainly drinks like one.

froggyfrog, Nov 23, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

I don’t quite grasp the hype surrounding this beer. It’s quite good but I don’t see why it’s worth paying so much for it when equally or better brews like the Fitz, Tommy, and Great Dane’s Cascade or Black Earth are available for half the price.

Pours a bronzed cocoa with moderately lasting sticky white-brown head.

Smells of citrus hops and cocoa, dark roasted malts and grape fruit. Also bits of anise.

Tastes cakey but also of iced down chocolate milk. A bit thinner than I would like, fluffier too. I want cream and am only getting iced milk. Sweet front, dry finish.

Very drinkable.

I’ll pick of a bottle of this and try it again soon. Maybe their was something wrong with the keg I had or my taste buds that night but like I said, I don’t get the hype.

DaPeculierDane, Nov 22, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +7%

presentation: 22oz. bomber with a huge oval in the center of the label. red oval with green text says three floyds alpha klaus xmas ale. within the center of the oval is the alpha king with a santa hat. three floyds logo at the bottom of the oval. winter/christmas graphics in the corners of the label. their description of their xmas porter is on the right of the label above a map to the brewery. no abv or freshness date displayed.

appearance: nice dark brown, almost black, with dark brown highlights along the edges in a snifter glass. pours a nice one inch light tan head that has good retention and laces well.

smell: floral and lightly grassy hop aromas and lightly chocolatey. sweet bread and estery. nice balance in aromas from hops to malts.

taste: chocolatey with some coffee flavors. mostly malty, but a balancing hop bitterness underlies and lasts through the finish. molasses and a little tannic. finishes bitter-sweet. very nice sweet chocolate as the brew warms.

mouthfeel: very smooth light-medium body. good carbonation and rolls around smoothly. good for the style, but i wish it were a little thicker. a tad resinous. smooths out even more as the beer warms.

drinkability: this is a nice sipper. goes down super easy, but you don't want to drink this fast. alcohol is there, but not overwhelming. very tasty and super smooth.

overall: this is just an excellent porter. i recommend drinkin' this just a tad below room temperature as this made all the difference in the world. very tasty and excellent mouthfeel.

Px2GrafX, Oct 11, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

After being poured into a tulip, a slight tan head sits atop an extremely brown body. The nose is way tamed from Xmas time. Dark chocolate and coffee are the dominant smells. The piney hops are there, but they are slight.

The taste is much improved from when this was fresh. The piney citrusy hops have left the stage, but not the building. Bitter, burnt, coffee flavors come first followed by chocolate. The hops show themselves at the end of the taste experience. Citrus and pine flavors, followed by a ripe fruitiness that I expect will show itself more with age.

The mouthfeel is thick, which is something that far too many Porters are missing, IMO. Drinkability is good, but 1 bomber is enough. I do prefer this fresh, but less than a year of age has done wonders for this one.

Sephiroth, Aug 31, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Following its emancipation from a 22oz bomber, this porter sits heavy in my snifter and kicks up a frothy light brown head. Opaque onyx is the color, ambrosial is the aroma. A thick roasted chocolately coffee smell coexists simultaneously with citrous and piney hops. An interesting combination that is not used enough, in my opinion. Alcohol is present in the nose as well. Flavor begins with large malts and roasted grain. Bitter chocolate blends with coffee in a big dark way, reminiscent of a stout. A crescendo of hops begins in the middle, beginning subtly and finishing the flavor with bitter, drying citrous. Roasted grain continues in the finish, but is dominated by an onslaught of prickly hops. Mouthfeel is thick (for the style) and very full, with some hop bite and medium-low carbonation. An intense, complex, enjoyable and very drinkable porter. Why do Three Floyds kick so much ass? I don't know, but I'll stay satisfied as long as I'm supplied with these unique and well-hopped takes on familiar styles.

BeerFink, Aug 31, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

This beer was poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: Dark coffee coloration with a very nice toffee colored head.

Smell: Very floral smelling nice combination of coffee, chocolate and malty smokyness.

Taste: Very clean and tasty malty-coffee spicy flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very clean with no after taste.

Drinkability: I could drink this one all day. As previously stated it has a very clean taste and a great smell to it. I wish I had brought more home with me.

nlmartin, Aug 26, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to IrishMike for this one....Xmas in August it is.
Pours an extremely dark black w/ a full finger of light brown head w/ a gentle pour....decent amount of lacing.
Smells real good...amaretto, some espresso and a hefty dose of dark chocolate.
Taste is more of the same and then add in a decent amount of bitter hops...will have to find this one fresh to compare. No alcohol detected until the very last few sips.
Mouthfeel is quite thick, but not cloying...carbonation is nice and the finish is very clean.
Another great offering from 3F...could enjoy this one all evening if only I had more.

warriorsoul, Aug 19, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

22oz bomber courtesy of footbalm.
Pours a deep brown, almost black, with ruby hues. Head is small, tan and doesn't stick around for long. Lacing, however, is quite nice as is the collar.
Smell is warm spiciness (cinnamon), roasted malt, chocolate and just a hint of coffee. Some hops noticable in aroma, not much alcohol (not any actually)
Taste is rich, toasty and full of roasted malt goodness. Cinnamon is present as well, but just a hint. Hops come on in full force, but are not out of balance with the rest of the malty natured brew. Chocolate and a bit of coffee round this one out. Slight warming as this goes down.
Mouthfeel is full and very very good. Smooth while not being cloying and just enough balance to make it very very drinkable.
Overall, a great beer. I've yet to disappointed with anything I've tryed from 3F, and I didn't have any doub that this one would continue the trend. Of course, it does.

LuckySevens82, Jul 29, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

This reminds me of Perkuno's Hammer, because it's a big porter and it kicks ass. My apologies to whomever sent me this treasure...it was late last year and I've since forgotten (remind me please! so I can thank you). I forgot about it for about 6 months, and it still has a nice hop bite to it. 22 oz. bomber pours into my imperial pint as nearly black, with the faintest crimson highlight; nice thick tan head that retains well.

It's Christmas in July. The aroma of this beauty sends me back to sipping Bailey's in December around the tree with my parents; that is to say, quite piney... with notes of dark chocolate, black licorice, and a crisp pungent hop nose. Chocolate flavor and rich dark malts initiate the palate, leading to a slightly resinous herbal hop finish, which is not nearly as bitter as the aroma might suggest. Quite balanced. Mild alcohol warmth. Mouthfeel is velvety and near perfect, with just a tingle of dry carbonation in the finish. I'd love a fresh sample this holiday season, as this is a real treat. Maybe 3F will start to send this to PA? Please?

IrishRedRock, Jul 27, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

Eggplant black with a thick, tightly bubbled head that rises barely over the top of the liquid, and leaves a thin cap atop, with foamy legs rising up the sides.

Interesting aroma, intially hoppy and then roasty malt. A unique combination, but it works. Flavor is hops upfront, a mixture of citrus and pine, followed by strong clove and chewy spruce tips, with some raisin and cherry. The typical roasted malt porter flavor is subdued, and the ABV is well-hidden. Tangy finish with a cocoa linger.

Great example of what I consider to be perfect mouthfeel - smooth and even, a little creamy. Slight carbonation tingle, but it doesn't mask any flavors. Pretty drinkable, but I may not be able to get through more than 5 or 6 bombers in a sitting due to the rich flavor and ABV.

Another top beer from a top BA - BuckeyeNation has hooked me up again. Thanks.

far333, Jul 08, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Served in the 22 oz. bomber into a dimple pint. The color is virtually black (I even used my cell phone to check ;) ) with a very good bubbly beige head. The beer smells like actual hop pellets which on another sniff has a strong porterish roastiness to it and just a touch of sweetness. The taste is about as hoppy as I'd expect from 3F, with a very strong high-alpha, citrusy hopping, and then once the initial hop wears off the actual porter flavor comes through, with a nice roastiness in the beer and a chocolate sweetness; the flavors meld together very well in some odd way. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy and chewy. As for drinkability, this would be one I'd love to have tons of come next winter!!

It's sure not normal...but it IS indeed tasty!! This has definitely catapulted up to amongst my favorite Christmas beers, and while it was slightly more hoppy when we had it in January, now it's mellowed out to a nice balance. As nice and piney a beer as I've had and one I will look for this holiday season.

beergeek279, Jul 04, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

I am a huge fan of this brew. I want to see how I compare to before. It pours an incredibly dark brown to black color with a small head that falls to a moderate broken head over top. The nose is divine. Brilliant hop aroma, along with a big chocolate and moderate coffee, but not bitter. Very well blended flavors on this beer as well. The hop is mostly aroma and flavor. Not a lot of bittering. I get a blast of chocolate and a nice hop flavor, but not bitter. Very very good. The feel is a light thick to heavy moderate with a light to moderate carbonation. This beer is awesome. Everything works so well together. I'll alwyas grab this beer when it comes out. So good.

kmpitz2, Jun 26, 2005