Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,982 | Reviews: 724
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a dark brown color with a light tan head. Smells of a bit of smoke, roasted nuts, licorice. Tastes of coffee, chocolate,licorice, smoke, roasted malt and nuts, and a touch of hops, but not overwhelming. Overall, a nice combination of flavors. Perfect amount of carbonation and very drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to Lightindarkness for this one!
Poured from the bomber into a tulip during a tasting I had last week.
Pours a rich black with a tight tan head. Good retention. Lots of chocolate and some coffee in the nose, but also some citrus hop flavor. Interesting and good!
Tastes similar- delicious and full flavored. Could be mistaken for mouthfeel of an oatmeal or coffee stout. Good coffee and burnt malt flavor. Good biting finish as well. Lots of flavor in this one- not a thin porter whatsoever. I am almost unhappy I shared this beer!!

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

I used to think I generally preferred stouts to porters (not that one need choose)... but lately, I'm finding some of my favorite dark beers are porters. This joins that group.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised when leaning in for a whiff of this luxuriously thick, deep black brew I found it to be wafting up noticeable aromas of citrus and pine hops. I was, but I shouldn't have been.

And I guess I shouldn't have been any more surprised when I found a velvety, roasty but not burnt roasted brew, full of coffee flavors to meld generously into an oily hoppy delight. I was... but I shouldn't have been. Not quite an IDA... this definitely put the porter characteristics first, but it seemed bright despite its rich darkness.

Despite a silky texture, it did feel a little light on the palate, and neither quite rich/creamy enough or spritely enough to satisfy either direction. That's nitpicking, it still was great in the mouth.

I could drink this all winter, and it seems particularly well suited for the pseudo-colder winter months of SoCal... may I find this in my stocking every year!

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to JDV and pintsized for sharing.

A-Almost looks like a cola to me. Black with carbonation bubbles running up the side. Head didn't stick around.
S-Chocolate, molasses, slightly floral hoppiness, and a little bit minty
T-Nice roasted malt, chocolate, some licorice, floral hop increases as it warms. Very tasty.
M-Crisp in the mouth, medium to full body, maybe a little over carbonated
D-I would have hogged the whole bomber if they had let me. This review should also be considered an ISO for Alpha Klaus Porter.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Pours dark brown and opaque with a thick, lingering head

S- The bright smell of the hops comes through before the dark, caramelly malt aromas

T- Very malty with notes of brown sugar, cocoa and caramel. A surprising hop kick: a floral flavor followed by a bitterness to round out the beer.

M- Mildly carbonated and thick

D- A slow sipper, but definately drinkable (AND delicious)

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle courtesy of SixPackSunday poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark, dark brown out of the bottle that looks black in the glass. The head is a dense three-finger tan that dissipates fairly quickly to a thin coating along the top leaving decent lacing.

S: Smell is mainly burnt coffee and chocolate malts. There is also a definite sweetness as well with vanilla and maybe some oatmeal in the background.

T: Taste picks up where the aroma left off with sweet malts up front but with a burnt coffee kick and some oatmeal smoothness. I also got more chocolate in taste and a hint of hops in the finish with some coffee bitterness as well.

M: Mouthfeel is super smooth with solid carbonation and helps the flavors stick to your mouth.

D: This is one of the better porters I've had in a while and it is certainly drinkable. Highly recommended!

An excellent beer. Pours dark mahogany and opaque. Vanilla and sweet oak on the nose. Mouthfeel & Taste is perfect. Just enough body and full of flavor. This sample had been in the fridge for quite a long time which could of added some mellowness. Excellent overall and a beer I could drink all day long, even on a hot summer day!

4.5/5  rDev +9%

A : Pours a black with a nice two finger tan head. Decent lacing left on the glass

S : Toasted malts, dark chocolate, hints of vanilla and Christmas spices

T : Good strong roasted malt flavor at the beginning with dark chocolate flavors. A good hop bitterness comes on at the end that turns it to a bittersweet chocolate which works so well. It's got a nice complex flavor.

M : Smooth, velvety with good carbonation that just tingles on the tongue

D : An excellent beer that I plan on finding more of. It's an easy one to drink.

4.07/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: Pours an indigo color with just the vaguest rusty brown highlights; a massive head adorns (too much head, frankly) and leaves chunks of lace

Smell: The aroma is somewhat boozy and I think I may be picking up a b it of acetone; once I get past that, I get dark chocolate, prune, cinnamon and loads of pine

Taste: Opens with a pruny chocolate flavor that moves in a piney direction almost immediately; cinnamon flavors joins to add some spice as well; after the swallow, the roasty malt flavors dominate but don't diminish the pine

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied but foamy and fizzy

Drinkability: I'll need to try a fresh bottle sometime as this is interesting but a bit flawed

Mou

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks go to kryptic for this.

Bomber served in a big wine glass at 59 F/ 15 C.

Deep dark brown color, massive two inch dark beige/ light tan head, impressive 3D parapets and buttresses of sticky lace (until swirling).

Rich smell of toasty nutty grain, warm spices, alpine herbs, pine, chocolate cake, black tea, and a bit of creamy vanilla. Cohesive and luscious.

Tastes rich, complex, and fairly dry. Very close to smell, same notes along with some cola and citric hop bitterness. Alpine herbs and pine add to the depth, but also provide freshness. Long dry finish: lingering toast, chocolate, and spice. Very tasty.

Crackling fizzy texture, quite carbonated. The crackling is audible. Plenty of swirling churns it smooth and lets it coat the tongue.

Quite drinkable. Dry and refreshing.

Great beer.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a tuplip glass and got a nice and big two-toned head. Nice and dark with some light coming throug the edges of the beer.

Smells of chocolate and citrus hops.

The first taste I get is the malt. Rich and roasty chocolate flavor. Once the hops kick in it move to a more dark/bittersweet chocolate flavor. Once swallowed I get a milk chocolate taste on the back of my pallate leaving a pleasant bitterness up front. Has an almost chocolate ice cream flavor when I exhale.

Medium velvety mouthfeel building as the beer moves through my mouth.

This beer reminds me of Mexican hot chocolate minus the cinnamon. I wish I was drinking it in December and not June. I find many porters way too thin and lacking flavor. This is one of the few that delivers!

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

I decided to break in my new Terrapin 22oz snifter with the Three Floyds Alpha Klaus. The beer pours black with a frothy tan head that leaves a nice cap on top of the body while providing ample amounts of lace. The aroma delivers an interesting mix of bittersweet chocolate and spicy citrusy hops. The taste hits you with the bittersweet chocolate up front, followed by a citrusy hop aroma and then finished with a residual milk chocolate sweetness. The body is between medium and full with a full amount of carbonation that only adds to the body. This is an interesting spin on the porter style. It is quite strong in the dark roasted malt character along with a significant hop presence. I would expect a sweeter and more chocolaty presence in a porter, but Three Floyds take on the style is certainly interesting and tasty.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Got a bottle of this one from a friend at the Wine Specialist. Pours a pitch black color with extremely hard to find brown highlights. Solid head that leaves fairly weak lacing. Nose is nice: huge roasted malt, coffee, and some light chocolate. Also very mild hops. Taste is as advertised. Huge roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, a strong piney hop flavor as well, that quickly transforms into a consistent bitter lemon (actually quite similar to the other Three Floyds brews I've had). Good body with solid carbonation. Overall, quite a tasty beer, although not as earth-shattering as I'd expected (I think BA got my hops for FFF up a little too high - I've been let down by everything except for the Alpha King). Quite good though, irrespective of my expectations.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

P- picked up a 750 ml bottle at DLD while i was out

A- huge dark chocolate notes with a big brown head on top that lasted pretty well and gives a decent amount of lacing as well

s- pretty strong combination of chocolate, roasted character, and a light spice from something that i cant quite identify yet from the interference from the malts..., hops are pretty balanced, not sweet but not really noticable either.

T- smooth malt on the start with a building roasted character that takes on chocolate character as it moves along. near the end it turns into the bitter chocolate flavor with strong lingering character. the spices i dont see but the beer is still slightly different so i know im missing something

M- decent body, not strong, not light, medium carbonation

D- pretty damn good

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

A darker than cola brown with a head that doesn't die. It leaves some decent lacing as well.

Honestly this smells like a Snickers bar to me haha. I get chocolate, nuts, and caramel with some creamy roastiness. Also a hint of spicy hops.

It tastes really similar to the smell. A really great chocolate and roasty flavor with some nuttiness and a dry slightly hoppy finish.

Nice and creamy and smooth. Easy to down with not a hint of the 7.5% abv.

One of the best porters I've had to date. I've only had this one with some age on it but it is excellent.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Thanks bgramer for this large capped bottle, poured into a snifter.

It is quite dark, one shade below pitch black, with a minimal head that disappears in seconds.
Aroma is mostly coffee, with some roasted malts that are a bit understated, and citrusy hops. I also thought it is a bit thin on the palate, particularly considering the high ABV.
Taste is as expected, with less roasted malts than I like, and more hops than I expect for a porter.
Ok, but I was expecting more from Three Floyds. The hops do not really blend that well here.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a solid black with a creamy off white head that sticks around for a while before attaching itself to the sides of my glass. Aroma is chocolate, bitter roasted malts, throw in a slight alcohol aroma as well. Tastes of chocolates and coffees, reminds me more of a stout than a porter, but that line is so blurry these days. Smooth creamy mouthfeel with a hint of hops in the finish. Ample carbonation. Solid brew all around.

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

pours a murky black into a British pint. Enormous frothy head lasts and lasts, leaving a nice cap and thick, chunky lacing. Aroma is a beautiful bouquet of coffee, chocolate, caramel, and floral and piney hops. Chocolate and coffee on the tongue, with pine and earth from the hops, and some vanilla and roastyness. Bubbly carbonation takes away from the creamyness, but its still very drinkable for the ABV.

This was a wonderful surprise! A porter unlike any I've had so far. Chocolaty, yet hoppy; thick, but not syrupy. An overall fantastic brew. One that I'll be looking for again. Huge thanks to younger35 for the opportunity!

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a very dark brown (almost black) with a finger of creamy tan head. Retention is fantastic with a thin layer that just won't quit and leaves nice thick lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is Wow! Quite the robust aroma here with notes of chocolate, molasses, and coffee that are enveloped in a fresh smelling bouquet of floral hops and citrus.

That taste seems just a tad more subdued to me than the aroma is still wonderful. Chocolate, molasses, and caramel sweetness are well balanced out by roasted malts, zippy coffee notes, and some grassy feeling hops in the backend. The mouthfeel is mellow and creamy with an easygoing feel and a dry finish. I absolutely can not believe that this beer is almost 8%, it drinks that smoothly. Very nice!

Wow, this is definitley one of thee finest Porters I've had, American or not. I especially loved the use of the hops, which gave the aroma and taste a lively take on things that perfectly complimented some of the other tried and true flavors. Complex and hugely drinkable, this is definitely a winner in my book.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

A-Pours a deep rusty brown with a nice frothy tan head. Very nice lacing.

S-Smells of caramel and malt.

T-Tastes of coffee with a little bit of toffee and malt. A bit of hoppy bitterness in the finish.

M-Nice mouthfeel with medium carbonation and a little lingering bitterness.

D-Nicely drinkable and smooth. I will kindly have another please.

HV

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to dschuster03 for the trade.

Pours a very deep black with a decent off white head. Nose is quite robust with coffee and roasted malt. Roasted malt dominates here, but coffee makes a small appearance. A good bitterness on the finish. Would like to see that mellow a bit with age. alcohol is relatively well hidden. mouthfeel is good, could be just a bit more viscous. Drinkability is quite good, especially since this guy is a little bit amped up at 7.5% Overall a fantastic porter, one I will surely trade for again, and put a little age on to see what happens. Should be good. Is already quite spectacular fresh. Good beer.

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Sat down last night with a couple of friends and a 22 oz bomber of Alpha Klaus. Poured into a large Medieval Times glass which resembled something halfway between a weizen glass and a tulip. Worked well enough. Appearance was at first a deep, impenetrable brownish black with a dense tan head that subsided rather quickly. Smell largely consisted of a floral hop bouquet that instantly lets you know you're about to quaff a FFF brew...even so, I was expecting a bit more from the nose given the dark and intriguing appearance. Taste followed smell in the hops department, but also revealed a roasty malt and subtle dark chocolate character that gave way to some alcoholic presence. Mouthfeel was smooth and lightly creamy, with enough carbonation to make it lively. I didn't have any trouble finishing the entire bomber by myself, and I'm a pretty small guy, but I don't think I would drink this on a regular basis. I can see this being nice on a cold Christmas eve near the fireplace, but as far as regular consumption is concerned, I'll take a Sinebrychoff, please.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Alpha Klaus pours a deep, dark, blackly brown with rosey highlights, and a slim but creamy tan lid that slips quickly to leave some nice lacing.

Sniffs deliver bitter-sweet chocolatey, black coffee, roastedness twirling with citric and piney hops, and cinnamony spice.

And . . . The flavor matches it step for step. It's full, soft, creamy, and smooth. It's dry, bitter, and roastedness comes in perfect amounts, and lingers in the finish.

This is a dynamite chocolatey-roasted, hopped up, spiced up, porter. Sure do love this stuff.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received this brew from the ever generous TheodorHerzle some time ago. I've been sitting on this one for awhile and I'm excited to try it. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- Pours a dark brownish red that allows the faintest amount of light to seep through about a quarter inch around the glass. A fluffy one finger medium tan head that recedes fairly quickly leaving a lily pad cap and thick collar with some randomly sticky lacing.
Smell- You could smell the hops in this bad boy upon opening. Some fairly vibrant citrus notes are present along with some piney hoppy goodness. Plenty of chocolate and cocoa give it that familiar Porter nose. Mixed with the hops it reminds me of chocolate covered mints.
Taste- Definitely some solid Porter familiarity here with the ever present hoppiness that you'd expect from FFF. Rich and chocolaty, it's fairly roasted and gritty with a dark roasted coffee aspect that seems to hang around forever. The real star of this brew is definitely the hops though. Piney and slightly citrus they add a rock solid hop bite that when added to the roasted malt, makes this thing very tasty. A lemony bitterness lingers for what may be days along with a light roasted nuttiness.
Mouthfeel- Medium body with a nice gritty feel and aggressive carbonation.
Drinkability- A very nice unique spin on a Porter that really takes the whole hopped up Porter to the next level. Dangerously drinkable for 7.5% ABV I'm really enjoying this thing immensely, maybe to immensely. I couldn't be any more pleased that a couple more bombers are sitting at my local brew store waiting for my consumption (I traded for this when I stilled live din the North West). Big thanks to Matt for another great beer!

3.06/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a 22 oz bottle

Poured a very dark brown, had minimal lacing and not alot of carbonation.

Smell was a very meaty, savory smell. Hard to explain but it was not at all sweet smelling.

Taste was more along the lines of a baltic porter. It had a savory meaty flavor, and almost a grape skin/grape koolaid flavor i tend to find in all baltic porters i try, and it is a flavor i cant seem to get past to say i like.

It was medium bodied and lacked adequate carbonation for me.

If you like baltic porters you will probably like this one, but i cannot drink them.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.