Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,982 | Reviews: 724

3.01/5  rDev -27.1%

A - a good bit of orange around the edges. Creamy off-white head.

S - roasted malts with minor dark chocolate in the mix. Hops are also present.

T - certain hop flavor throughout. Mild roasted malts, chocolate and nearly caramel.

M - mild coating, but thin. Tiny bit of tingle on sides of tongue.

D - maybe one, but most likely not.

3.03/5  rDev -26.6%

Reviewed on 8/21/09. Bottle. Pours black with a thick light tan head. Aroma of sweet roasted malt, very sweet. Flavor of sweet malt, chocolate malt, some lactose notes. Pretty bland and boring really; I'm quite underwhelmed. Too sweet and not complex at all. Meh.

3.06/5  rDev -25.9%

A: Pours pretty dark, almost black, light brown head that hung around for a couple of minutes before leaving a little lacing on the glass.

S: A little bit of malt and carmelized sugar, but mostly just overpowering citrus... grapefruit for sure. Amarillo hops?

T: Dark malts and coffee but mostly citrus. Too much for me, I really don't care for it because it overpowers the subtlety of the malts.

M: I do like the mouthfeel, it's nice and creamy and some good carbonation.

D: Pretty low on the drinkability. I had most of the bomber but just couldn't finish it. It would be interesting to have this beer with a slightly more normal hop schedule to it.

Overall, it's a little disappointing for me, I always stop by the brewery on my way to Michigan and I've had just about everything they offer. This is the first by them I didn't really dig.

3.06/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a 22 oz bottle

Poured a very dark brown, had minimal lacing and not alot of carbonation.

Smell was a very meaty, savory smell. Hard to explain but it was not at all sweet smelling.

Taste was more along the lines of a baltic porter. It had a savory meaty flavor, and almost a grape skin/grape koolaid flavor i tend to find in all baltic porters i try, and it is a flavor i cant seem to get past to say i like.

It was medium bodied and lacked adequate carbonation for me.

If you like baltic porters you will probably like this one, but i cannot drink them.

3.11/5  rDev -24.7%

Dark brown, almost black, creamy coffee-hued topper is gone within minutes.

Mainly chocolate. Light traces of caramel and coffee.

Sweet up front, and all the flavor that the aroma had promised me, are here. I like the strong hop flavor, and there's a little roasted bitterness here too. I'd like to know if there's any brown malt in here, just for the sake of knowing. Bit of a maple syrupy flavor as the beer warms up.

On the thin side body-wise. Medium carbonation. Smooth.

I like it. Pretty good beer, I would probably get a couple more, and cellar them, if I see them anywhere. I would drink one every now and again, but nothing too regular. Just to see how they cellar. Cheers!

3.11/5  rDev -24.7%

(From Notes)
22oz bomber, split among two people.

Smell, very sweet coffee, semi-tart smell also present.

Taste, this one has a very interesting flavor, even for 3F. That semi-tart flavor hits a big chord, followed by a very, very strong fruity flavor, I was puzzled deeply drinking this beer. The usual coffee and chocolate flavors that you would find in most examples of the style must have gotten lost on their way to the brew kettle.

Overall, a very interesting beer to say the least. If you gave this beer to someone without telling them what it was, its a 10-1 shot they would say its a porter. I dug this beer only for it being unique, I wouldn't buy it again anytime soon and could never finish a whole bomber on my own.

3.14/5  rDev -24%

Friend brought back a growler, we broke this open 2 days later.

A- poured with a huge head that settled nicely with lots of lacing. Very dark, just a touch of translucence.

S- Very much a pine scent to it, a bit antiseptic. Nose really downgraded my hopes for this beer.

T- Tastes like a christmas tree, add in a touch of toasted brown sugar and some dark chocolate, but nothing really works it's way through the pine.

M- medium bodied with a hoppy pine aftertaste.

D- I was somewhat disappointed, this wasn't a bad beer, but it seemed to be a bit one-dimensional and the pine overpowered everything else.

3.15/5  rDev -23.7%

A shared bottle with father-in-law and brother-in-law, thanks George for finding this one!

Poured into three tall glasses with a tan head that lingered quite a while. A beautiful black opaque color.

Smells of roasty malty goodness. Not the typical scents of a porter - very little chocolate or coffee.

When the liquid hit my tongue I immediately knew why the smell was different. It tasted like a black ipa. The roasted malts were hidden behind the hops.

Dry finish like an ipa, not a porter.

I know why they call this a 'cousin' the ipa, because that's what it is. Good, not great. A Black IPA not a porter. I would not need to drink again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.