Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Reviews: 729 | Hads: 2,048
3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

The pour starts with a "wow" - heaps and heaps of sticky mocha colored foam towering over the brew even with a relatively gentle pour. The foam eventually collapses leaving gobs of lacing on the glass.

The smell is all malt and roast - notes of molasses and coffee abound in the aroma.

The flavor is surprisingly toasted for a porter. There's a reasonable body of caramel and molasses underlying the brew but the predominant experience is bitterness - not of hops but of toasted grain. Flavors of coffee (expresso) dominate over any more subtle notes that may be present. There's a mild amount of hopping at the end but it doesn't compete with or compliment the bitter dark malt.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin for a malty brew with lots of carbonation leaving a clean palate after each sip. There's a strong bitter aftertaste of black coffee as a finish with no real hop dryness.

Good but not great. It's a bad sign when a beer reminds you of another beer and you wish you were drinking the other brew instead. In this case it's one of my favorite dry stouts: North Coast Black Hart which has similar roasted malt characteristics but a serious hop finish that leaves no doubt it's a *dry* stout. Too bad the Alpha Klaus wasn't equally interesting. Mind you, it's a good beer but not one I'd spend all year looking forward to...

3.54/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer reminds me a lot of Cigar City's Jose Marti porter. Just too hoppy. I do like the milk sugars and the roasted flavors, but the hop profile and added bitterness really takes away from the better qualities.

3.54/5  rDev -14.9%

Maybe I'm crazy, but Scotch Pine and cocoa powder don't really mix well to me.

Chocolate covered grapefruit for breakfast? Nah.
Christmas trees in my roasty-toasty brews? Nah.
Bitter-smelling citrus and Hershey's? Nah.

The aroma just doesn't work for me here. It's strong, unique, unexpected, powerful, crisp, and original. But so what? Chocolate and pine needles don't mix in my mind, and they certainly didn't mix well in my nose. I can give it points for those other attributes -- predominantly originality -- but not every combination works well. The dominant force is a heavily sappy pine aroma that fades to more of a citric nose as the beer warms further. A pure chocolate aroma develops along the same timeline.

After smelling it, the real surprise was that it managed to have a real solid, balanced flavor. The hops are nearly 100% aromatic. Slick hot fudge flavors dominate and find themselves laying in the toaster oven blackening to a nice roasted flavor. A little thin but not really to any sort of detriment -- and exceptionally drinkable. Hops show up as the roasted cocoa fades and dominate the aftertaste. Just really kind of an odd mix in the nose...but intriguing! Thnx to Tim for the sample!

3.56/5  rDev -14.4%

A porter poured into a pilsner glass; came out a rich, dark brownish-black, it was consistent throughout. A can smell the hops and some type of fruit. With the first sip, I can taste molasses, coffee, and brown sugar. There is a little bitterness though not to my liking.

Yet another Porter that I hope was gonna be better but still a nice porter overall.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

After hearing months of talk, all anxiously awaiting this particular brew, I waited breathlessly for Roger to bring me my 20 oz imperial pint (serverd in a traditional english pint glass). Maybe I need to drink more porters to compare, because this was just not quite as good as I was led to believe it was, although it is quite good. It's just not one of the all time greats.

This was a deep dark black hole of a beer, from which no light could escape. It had a 1/2 inch head of dense creamy tan foam that left slightly less lacing than I expected it to, based on the way it looked.

Smell was pleasant. Lots of sweet malt, with mild toffee and carmel notes.

Tasting this beer was a very very slight let down. I guess that based on all the comments I had been hearing, in my mind I had built this up to be the be-all and end-all of all porters. Now don't get me wrong. This is one darn fine porter. I'm just not sure it's worth getting as worked up over as some people I have seen do.

It's rich, smooth and delicious. Lots of mild sweet malt, small coffee flavor in the finish.

Overall, it's a very good beer.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Dark brown color, with a fair amount of carbonation. This is a hop bomb with dark roasted malts. Hops overpower everything else here, which seem (though tough to tell through the hop smoke screen) to be the usual coffee and chocolate notes you'd except from a deep roasted porter. Medium/thick body and medium carbonation.

2011 batch into a Duvel Tulip

A- Pours pitch black with a 2 finger mocha-colored that sticks around for a few minutes, frothy head. Tight bubbles, excellent lacing.

S- I can smell the FFF hop profile as soon as I crack the bottle. Big sweet tropical and citrus notes go hand in hand with a rich roasted malt/dark chocolate note. A little bit of sweetness detectable as well. Really nice.

T- Big coffee/chocolate notes up front. I get some smokey flavors in there as well paired with a sweetness. Big hop notes from the nose are absent until the finish where they show themselves to clean things up and dry out the mouth. A bit disappointing after the nose.

M- Medium bodied. Maybe a bit bigger than your average porter. Creamy mouth feel (from the sugar?) pairs with lively carbonation.

O- Really different when compared to a traditional "American Porter", but I like it. I just wish the big FFF hop profile promised in the nose translated into the taste.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a bomber into a nonic.

Pours a rich cola color with a decent head that leaves a nice lacing.

Aroma is hops up front with a decent malt backing. Malt aroma is dark roasted like a smokey stout.

Flavor is dry hopped porter. This is more like a stout than anything resembling a porter. The hops are assertive and up front. Crisp, but less than fresh they present well in this brew. The malt is a little lacking and could stand up more. The malt that is there is dark roasted and smokey, pretty damn good, but not great. The label mentions chocolate flavors of which I get none of. Sweet candy sugar hits on the finish, this is where the ABV comes from.

Mouthfeel is thin and decently carbonated.

Overall this is an alright porter that I think may be elevated with BA's because of the ABV.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

This is a really old bottle so I hope its not ruined.

A- Pours out looking somewhat clear with a burgundy highlight. The head is weak, but its there. It still manages to leave lots of uniform lacing. The beer in the glass is black with burgundy around the edges.

S- Pretty weak nose but whats there is pretty good. Grassy hops, lots of grain and some bitter sweet cocoa and coffee. There is also a lot of smoke and wood

T- A hoppy porter for sure. The grassy, leafy hops are backed up by a milky sweet malt bill. If you told me this was a milk stout I would certainly believe you.

M- Pretty thick for a porter. Its very very smooth with a slightly drying finish from the hops. Carbonation is quite low and it promotes a silky smooth feel.

22oz bomber poured into a Gulden Draak tulip glass

Appearance- Motor oil black with 2 fingers of mocha head that dissipates most of the way and leaves a reasonable amount of lacing.

Smell- Very piney in scent with a little bit of chocolate and coco thrown in.

Taste- Pine up front with a long finish of unsweetend chocolate.

Mouthfeel- A slick and smooth mouthfeel with just the smallest hint of carbonation.

Overall- Me not being a huge piney hops fan, I really wasnt blown away. I thought it just had 2 distinct flavors and was nothing crazy complex. In the end, I get the tie in with the piney hops and Christmas, and it makes for a decent seasonal brew.

3.61/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Black with a light tan head that fades quickly. Moderate lacing.

Smell: Hops, sublte roasted notes, pine resin.

Taste: roasted malt, some coffee notes, hops, a bit astringent.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation, crisp, dry finish.

Overall: A tasty black IPA. The doesn't taste like a porter to me.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks go out to SPLITGRIN for this one.

Pours from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Nearly opaque with chocolate highlights underneath. Small mocha head that doesnt last very long. Nice bit of lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroms is actually a bit hoppy. I havent smelled hops in a porter before, but I guess a Holiday porter is as good a time as any to throw in some hop aroma. Plenty of good chocolate and coffee aromas as well.

More hop flavor as well. The roasted grains seemed to take a bit of a backseat to the hop flavor. Sweet up front as well. Hop bitterness in the end. Sticky on the tongue.

Glad I got to try this. I could see myself having a couple of these once or twice a year. There was a little too much sweetness and that could get a bit cloying after 22oz. A nice solid beer that is certainly different than any other porter I have ever had. Originality points but point detractions for "style" purposes.

3.62/5  rDev -13%

A - Super dark brown with reddish highlights. Tan head that fall to a ring.
S - Roasted malt, smokey, coffee.
T - Smokey, roasty with some fruit and hops.
M/F - A bit thin on body. Nice carbonation though.
D - Interesting and intensely smokey. Light thin body is a fault in my opinion.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Been wanting to try this for a while now. Finally got around to buying it.

A: Dark brown with a tan head

S: Chocolate, malt, smells sweet

T: On the first few sips of this beer, It was almost a drain pour. Not sure why it was so bad on the first part of the pour but the second half of the bottle is what I'm reviewing now. - Coffee, malt, chocolate, slightly sweet.

M: - Mild mouthfeel

D: Decent but not as impressive as other offerings.

Not sure if I had a bad bottle or what was going on with this one. Just a strange session experience. In any event. Not the best porter - but not the worst.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Kickin' fresh Christmas Porter brewed with Mexican sugar among other things. What's with FFF and different sugars?

Bomber poured into a Lion stout mug. Thanks Dan!

Beautiful looking beer, dark brown and clear with a chocolaty, thick and creamy head that formed in cascades. Great lacing and retention as well. Smells of roasted malts, chocolate and general sweetness. No hops in the aroma whatsoever.

Tastes sweet and chocolaty but the bitterness quickly takes over. Finishes quite bitter and slightly roasty. I understand this is Alpha King's cousin and all but the bitterness, frankly, is clashing. The aftertaste is rather empty too. However, the biggest culprit is the rather thin body that makes the beer taste rather empty.

Overall a good porter but unbalanced for no good reason. Not in the same league as Edmund Fitzgerald or Cutthroat.

4.5, 4, 3.5, 2, 4

3.64/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a solid black, with a huge, long lasting head. Cascades of bubbles fall down the head into the beer, and leave behind huge amounts of lace, and a cragy head.

Aroma is hoppy, with hints of roasted malts and chocolate.

Flavor is filled with roasted malts, coffee, and a bit of chocolate. Dry, slightly hoppy finish. Very well balanced and crafted. Mouthfeel is full and smooth... I'd swear that this came out of a cask if I didn't know any better. Drinkability is good, as this one hides its relatively high 7.5% very well. Drinks like a 4.5% beer.

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

I am a big fan of American Porter and have tasted many examples. This is a good one, though not among the best I've had, and not really what I would hope for at the price point ($8.50 for a 22oz bomber).

A- A very dark beer with a thick tan head that dissipates to a ring around the edge of the beer and leaves a trailing lace around the glass as it empties. Somewhat darker than what might be expected of the style, but appealing nonetheless.

S- Smell is quite good, though a little sharper than expected. Hints of flowery hops replace the enticingly rich coffee notes of many other examples of this style.

T- Here, as in the smell, astringently bitter hop notes replace the smoother, more comforting tastes of coffee and chocolate. An interesting taste, though not entirely distinct from the much less expensive Sierra Nevada Porter. Not in the same league as Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald or Bert Grant's Perfect Porter. Additionally, by it's name, one might expect some "holiday" type spices, but if they are present, they are not evident as in other holiday offerings.

M- A bit thin, crisp and dry compared to the better porters I've had. Not bad in the realm of beer as a whole, but not necessarily what I look for in a good porter.

D- Not as smooth a beer as I look for a porter to be. More of a "challenge" than the easy-drinking porters I've most enjoyed. And at 7.5%, possibly a little dangerous to relax with for an entire evening, without worrying about over-imbibing.

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Served at a family beer tasting out of a bomber into tasting glasses.

A - Looks like a christmas party (well, the bottle does). Beer is a dark amber-brown. Looks like a think coffee. Plenty of head.

S - Somewhat earthy sweetness mixed with that 3 floyds hop/citrus accent. Almost smell some carrots.

T - Smoky molasses with caramel. It's spicy at the end with some chocolate. None of the flavors strike too hard.

M - Nice amount of carbonation for a porter. Not as thin of a body as the appearance would suggest.

O - Not too special, but certainly an enjoyable porter. Lots of spice with a pleasant aftertaste.

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a very dark brown color with a medium off-white head. Scent is very hoppy...wasn't expecting that. Very hoppy with some roasted malt aroma with a hint of Christmas spice. Taste is not as hoppy as the nose implies. Roasted malt flavors with a bit of chocolate. Some piney hop flavors and just a bit of spice. Mouthfeel is medium bodied...not as thick as I was hoping. Drinkability is fairly high. Overall, this does not taste like a typical American Porter to me. Drinks more like a black IPA.

3.66/5  rDev -12%

So, this one took a while for me to get from the bottle into the glass. It poured a nearly opaque black, with a tan head that I could not avoid, and took time to disperse.

The smell had some vaque molasses or brown sugar, but very mild.

The taste had roasted malts, some coffee, and the characteristic hops, with a slight aftertaste, but not unpleasant.

The mouthfeel consisted of strong, carbonation, but not too much. I could also feel what I saw in the glass. You could see how it clung to the sides of the glass, as if it had some viscosity to it.

I am not a porter guy, or stout for that matter, so I could not drink this all the time, but I am glad I tried this, because it was full of flavor, some of which I am still trying to peg.

3.66/5  rDev -12%

A- Thin tan head that fades fast. Maybe a hint of red in the head. It is very black.
S- Coffee. Really nothing else besides a little sweet.
T- Has a sweeter taste and really couldn't pin point anything to much for the actual taste but in the aftertaste it was pretty strong coffee and seemed a bit smokey also.
M-Medium body maybe a bit thin. Light/medium carbonation.
D- It is to coffee for me not all bad though. I not big fan of porters or stouts (do prefer stouts) and I do try to keep opinion out when I am doing my review besides in drinkability.

3.67/5  rDev -11.8%

Taking on this one solo. 22 oz. bottle on December 30th, 2011, poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Nothing much to see here. Flat, matte brown with a light khaki head. Not much retention, just some bubbles linger on top. Typical lacing.

S - At first, it's mostly milk chocolate bar and a touch of cinnamon. Closer to room temp, milk chocolate combines with lots of mexican sugar, light fruit, syrup, and slight coffee bean.

T - A bit of a contrast, plentiful dark chocolate and espresso flavors. Definite hop bitterness, citrus, and pine cut through near the backend of the drink.

M - Medium body, fair carbonation, good smoothness. Medium length finish and bitter finish.

D - That mexican sugar is really noticeable and fits well with the blend. I do wish there was a bit less espresso and more of that milk chocolate in the drink. Preferences aside, it's a good brew that is exactly what I'd expect from FFF during the holidays.

3.67/5  rDev -11.8%

This is an interesting brew. Pours a nice head, creamy and chocolatey. Dark chocolate looking almost opaque black. Very full mouthfeel. Smells of dark chocolate and tons of hops. Very odd to have these hops in this brew. Leaves good lacing and is a nice refreshing beer.

3.67/5  rDev -11.8%

Bomber poured into Duvel tulip.

AK pours the darkest brown color, if not all-out black. Generous amount of head is also present: 1.5 inches, dark cream colored. Nice aroma on this one: roasty malts dominate. Taste offers more of the roasty malts, with a bit of earthy hops on the back end. Mouthfeel is on the thin side of medium.

Glad that I tried it, but I will stick more to RIS offerings, especially for the price.

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer is dark mahogany with just a tiny bit of light getting through. Carbonation is low and the head is tan and quite thin. The nose offers some mild toasted malt and chocolate notes with a hint of cedar.

Flavors are definitely on the mark. Rich, creamy toasted malt with a bit of a sharp hop bite starting at mid-palate that doesn't really serve this particular style all that well. Mouthfeel is quite creamy for a porter. You get flavors of coffee, bakers chocolate, and a slight bit of orange rind from the hops. A terrific beer that, in my opinion, is a bit too hopped for this style. It's very subtle, but the flavors tend to be just a bit too bitter on the finish. Still worth trying if you can find it.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.