Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,980 | Reviews: 724
4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A pretty light-hearted pour into my favorite Ommegang chalice. Dark & ruby-hued, I've seen it before. The tan head barely makes its presence known, & there is no lace to speak of. A little more viscous then I would of thought, but it's only my eyes. They lie all the time.

First off, the chocolate is very obvious. More straight up sugar then caramel, with a pleasant flowery bitterness rounding the scent out. A little simple, honestly enticing. I couldn't sense any alcohol.

Unsweetened chocolate, with a heavy measure of refined sugar, & a little butter to give it that greasy feel, it's almost like drinking fresh coco if you couldn't differentiate much between hot & cold. :P The bitterness is more assertive then hot coco, but because grandma never really made it with enough sugar(preferring to just drop the block of chocolate into the pot & get back to her novelas), it is strikingly similar. Coffee & nutty notes are subtle, but add slight complexity. Childhood memories begin to saturate my brain, but the alcohol isn't far behind.

Carbonation is strong, with the feel being greasy, but the body is moderately light & very fluid.

Someone send me a growler of this stuff next season. Too easy. :)

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. 03/19/08.

Pours a dark brownish black, with almost two fingers of light tan head. Aroma is quite hoppy for what I expect from a porter, with some chocolate, and a little spice.

Taste is interesting. When I first started drinking this, I thought the hops were overpowering. As I got toward the end, and as it warmed, the hops seemed to fade a some, but still a bit on the hoppy side. Didn't get much malty flavor in this. Not very balanced. Some slight roasted chocolate tastes as well, and some spices.

It's full bodied, low carbonation. Sticky mouthfeel afterward. Drinkability is alright, considering the heaviness.

The hoppiness turned me off a bit, and there isn't much spiciness for something that is labeled a winter beer.

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours black with a hint of ruby edges. Big lasting tan head. Smell is damn near perfect, and unmatched by pretty much any porter I've had. Very big roasty malt, slight coffee, some mild sweetness and mild noticeable hops in there as well. Very aromatic and fantastic nose. Nice roasty character. balanced mild sweetness and slightly drying and bittering hops. The hops are just bordering on too much for a porter, but never really get there. Moderate to mildly rich mouthfeel. Hoppy for the style but it works. Soft carbonation and a nice overall uniqueness makes this a must try.

Being a fan of Alpha King, I was looking forward to trying this beer. I poured this out of a bomber into a goblet glass and it was bitter dark brown with quite a head - two-and-half to three fingers worth, slowly gurgling down to a thin film on top.

The smell was roasty - definitely hoppy with some coffee and roasted flavors. The hops added a new dimension to this porter, but felt overpowering. I wonder if it needs mellowing out, or if it's meant to be had fresh. It's definitely sweet and bitter to dry. I'd drink it again, but during the season. It's a seasonal beer for sure, as it's name implies.

A - 1/2" beige head, excellent retention. Sheet of lace. Dark brown close to opaque.

S - Tangy citrus hop. Chocolate and sweet molasses. Cream.

T - Bitter grapefruit mingles with bitter roasted malt. Coffee. Nutty. Orange peel. Seems to have more hops than some IPA's.

M - Full-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel. Long, bitter,tangy finish.

D - Very good drinkability. Unique with athe hopload of an IPA and the roasty porter character.

A- Pours a little dark for a porter, pretty black, a small coffee colored head.

S- Smells way hopped up, like an ipa only with notes of roasted malt.

T- Three floyds definitely has a distinct taste in the hops. Fairly smooth, chocolatey, roasted malt, mint aftertaste. I could definitely see this one being a winner around xmas time.

M- Creamy, tad light on the head.

D- This one is a bit heavy for a porter but still highly drinkable. In my opinion three floyds often doesn't live up to the hype but I have to admit this one was excellent.

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

Poured a very deep black with some dark brown highlights and a very thin head that stayed around to the edges. Nose is hops with a little bit of coffee. Taste is roasted malts with a heavy hand of hops, some coffee. Mouthfeel is the highlight for me on this one--viscous with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Wasn't really a huge fan of this one...too much hop for me sullying up the big maltiness. There's a fine line between balanced and lopsided and I think this one leans too much on the hops.

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

A- Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Pours a root beer color with no head.

S- Dark malts, coffee, chalk. Not overly strong.

T- Hops on the front receding to coffee, and dark chalky malt. You get a strong alpha hop profile throughout. Not quite as malty as I would expect.

M- A bit too carbonated. And a bit too thin for a porter.

D- Overall a well crafted beer but I have lost all the porter notes in this to an alpha taste that I cannot shake from my palate. I want more malt which isn't there. Better on the first few sips than the last of the beer.

4.19/5  rDev +1.5%

Celebrating my one year BA anniversary.

A_Pours a very deep dark brown and gushes up the sides of my mug. Half dark brown liquid half egg cream like foam. Staying power is somewhat exceptional. A domelike appendage sticks out from the rim of the glass, almost a half an inch.

S_Mocha rich chocoale, bitter pine hops, not that strong.

T_Bitter up front and in the behind with a nice sweet chocolate middle. The start is pure roasted malts, the end bitter piney hops. Very well balanced with a good hop character.

M_Rich and creamy, a bit heavier than a normal porter. It does have a creminess that is almost like a nitro-can or tap.

D_Outstanding, as usual from Three Floyds. I could drink a few of these on a cold blustery night.

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

I have the pleasure to taste this beer thanks to a trade with GrizzlyAdams (and Gcurlow for sending me a bottle that I used to tweak this review). Thanks!

Alpha Klaus is a dark brown with ruby highlights and two fingers of light brown head that is both fluffy and sticky.

Alpha Klaus has an aroma that is packed with juicy, bitter, hops. Behind the hops there is a bit of toffee and roasted flavors, but the hops are the star here.

The flavor leans heavily on hops once again, but the malt is a little bit stronger than in the aroma. The grapfruit from the hops mixes with a toffee flavor from the malt. The middle has a pine-resin hop presence that pairs up with a roasted flavor. Some chocolate floats around in there, along with a ton of bitter, citric hops. As the beer warms a coffee flavor developes in the background. The hops definitely dominate here, which is no surprise from Three Floyds.

The mouthfeel is good and creamy with a moderate amount of carbonation. The finish is a little bit oily from the hops. I definitely dig the feel.

Alpha Klaus Xmas porter is a good one. Sometimes I don't like porters that are over-hopped, but this one suits me just fine.

4.36/5  rDev +5.6%

22 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with sman262, thanks for giving me the opportunity to finally try this brew, poured into my Russian River pint glass tonight after a rough day

A-Dark black color with no light shining through, small 1/4 inch tan head that was very creamy, some retention, very impressive lacing

S-Floral hops, hints of oak, some different fruits, mostly roasted malt and a variety of nuttiness, faint coffee, lots of dark chocolate

T-Dry at first with some floral hoppiness, then a little sweet in the middle with hints of cream and coffee, as well as dark chocolate, finishes with a bitterness that I cannot really put my finger on, hint of raisins as it warmed, chocolate really came out then, tasted a lot like its aroma, went down easily

M-Sweet and bitter mouthfeel, small amount of carbonation, thick bodied for a porter, taste lingered nicely, dry on the back of the tongue

D-Could have drank a bomber and then some of this, took a while to drink but very smooth, ABV is not too high, alcohol is hidden, easy to drink

Have been wanting to try this since I initially got into craft beer, did not disappoint and was even better than I thought it would be, one of the better porters I have ever had, wish this was a year round release and available in my area but neither of those is a possibility, I would love to drink this again some time, highly recommended

3.21/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a very dark brown in color. There was at least a two inch head sitting atop this beer. Smell is subdued hops and some chocolate malt. Taste is much more of the malt with a little bitterness as well. There is a grassy and pine flavor of course coming from the hops. Pretty decent medium full on the mouthfeel.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: What you expect from a porter. Black beer with little head to speak of.

Smell: Coffee and chocolate with a hint of floral hops.

Taste: Nice roasted coffee and sweet chocolate up front which gives way to a sweet citrus hop flavor. The two end up mixing as you finish the sip and go together very nicely.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with little carbonation. The flavor left behind is sweet yet hoppy.

Drinkability: This may be the best porter I have tried. Very smooth and not too heavy. The nice addition of a hoppy characteristic at the back end really adds a nice touch to the roasted sweetness you expect from the style. The complexity is what puts it head and shoulders above others. Highly recommeded to see what a porter can be.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

22 oz. bomber into glass.

A: Dark, nice creamy head.

S: Roasted coffee, light smoked wood, light fruitiness.

T: Yummy smoothness, delicious chocolate/roasted coffee flavor complimented nicely by nosey citrus scent. Exceptionally good taste.

M: Good medium-full body, creaminess that goes really well with the flavor. Light carbonation.

D: Ladies and gentlemen, this is a damned fine porter. My only criticism is that it could be a little more bubbly, but are we gonna split hairs here? Am I wrong?

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

dark brown/pitch black. creamy brown head/lacing. head diminishes, but lacing persists. light shows clarity and no sediment or particles. aromas of dark chocolate, coffee, raisins, molassess, and a liquer-like alcohol. american hop presence is prominent yet vague-spuce? taste is chocolaty sweet malts with a significant underlying hop bitterness and roastiness cleaning it out. full-bodied, somewhat viscous, with a nice lingering, smooth, bitter and roasty finish. nice creamy carbonation. this is a complex sipper with warming qualities. drinks bigger than it is.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle, via jaustin72403

A: Pours a deep brown, nearly black, under a fingers worth of tan head. Pretty good retention and nice lace.

S: Smells of a light coffee, slight wood, a little bit of fruit and citrus hop. Good aroma.

T: Very nice fruity sweetness and citrus up front, followed by a mild coffee and ending in a light roasted malt and moderate roasted bitters. Citrus, mostly grapefruit, hop qualities hang around throughout. A speck of chocolate to found as well. Very good tasting porter.

M/D: Full bodied, slightly creamy, carbonation is light. Drinkability is really good on this one. Makes me think of an IPA with roasted malt. My first FFFs brew, very impressed.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

22oz. bomber into half pint glass. Again, thanks to Deuane for hooking me up with my first Three Floyds brew!

A - Extremely dark brown body with a light brown head that diminished into a thin, whispy veil. Very ornate lacing around the glass.

S - Lots of dark chocolate and dark fruits in the nose. Picking up on plum, prune and raisin, as well as some light earthy hops in the background.

T - Sweet dark fruits up front, which segues into a pleasant bitter dark chocolate taste and finishes slightly bitter. Decent amount of hops for a porter.

M - Full body with a velvety, creamy texture that rolls down the throat quite smoothly. Nice and slick on the palate. Minimal prickle on the tongue. Finishes quite bitter for a porter.

D - Very smooth. Not a lot of alcohol in the taste. Nice creamy porter with an obvious hop presence.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Big thanks to brandoman63 for hooking me up with a bottle!

Pours a near black, thin cocoa head rising up. Medium carbonation.

Tons of different scents picked up in the nose. Rich, bittersweet chocolate. Dark stuff. Caramel, light coffee, and sugar present. Fresh floral hops are present behind all of this.

Flavor carries through on the smell and then some. Bitter chocolate flavors, sugared malts. A bigger hop presence than the smell also. At times its up front and sometimes it follows the chocolate and other flavors this one has. The thing I enjoy about the hops is that they provide a spicy backbone to the beer. Somehow this makes it feel like a serious holiday porter. Excellent balance even though there's so much going on.

Mouthfeel is pretty creamy but stinted slightly by the bitter, spicy hop presence. It works extremely well in the flavor but takes away from mouthfeel a little. For some reason coffee is one of the main flavors that sticks with me, though it isn't a big player in smell or taste. Hop burps of the floral variety and again spicy and a little bitter/dry finish.

Drinkability is great. If there was a way to keep the hop presence that contributes greatly in taste and round out the mouthfeel this would be an unbelievable beer. Regardless, it's one that I wish was more available and I could enjoy a bomber of any time. Another unique brew from FFF, yummy!

Very drinkable beer

4.51/5  rDev +9.2%

Got this as my first bomber of Alpha Klaus ever and one that I've been waiting to finally drink. Want to thank my girlfriend for the opportunity of trying this one since it was a christmas gift from her.

A- looks like the typical porter with a dark, chocolate brown head that is completely opaque and is rather clear, not foggy. Actually has a bit of a sheen to it. A nice small head that stays throughout and floats barely on the top of the bottle; kinda like a bit of foam on the top of a coffee. The head is actually made up of a bunch of small bubbles that sit right on top. I really like the color of this one. Nice and thick head that poured in my friend's pint glass since we split the bomber. looks like thick cream sitting on top of dark coffee

S- wow well people did not lie when they said there is hops coming off of this one. Especially kind of intense hops for a porter where hops are usually not represented. There is also a bit of hints of spices and chocolate that comes up with the hops Also there is a smell of a drak chocolate.

T - the main taste of this one that first hits me is hops that just attack the tongue. This is the typical FFF citrus hops that seem to characterize their brew. Odd to see such a hop presence in a porter. Then after the hops fades away it fades away into your more typical porter aspects. There is a nice chocolate presence and actually a bit of a grainy sugar sweet presence that goes to offset the dark chocolate presence. After awhile the hops actually seem to come back to me as well and I think they may actually become a bit stronger and blend in with the chocolate aspect of the beer. There is also a nice milky aspect to the beer, makes it rather creamy and actually imparts that cream taste in the mouth. Afterwards there is a light hops presence that sticks around in the mouth.

MF - Rather creamy and smooth on the mouth without only a light amount of carbonation that seems to come in later. I love the milky aspect of the beer that goes with the taste of the beer alot. Afterwards, the light hops presence leaves a slight tingly feeling in the mouth and makes you wnat to have another drink.

D - overall a great porter from FFF and an interesting interpretation of the style that makes me want to keep having a sip after a sip to experience all of the interesting taste within this one. there are just so many different flavors in the porter that I keep wanting to discover. I love how this is like a mix of a hop bomb and a sweet porter too; gotta love the FFF boldness. Also, the creamy milky aspect makes it really easy to sip down and enjoy. I will pick this up every holiday season and enjoy it whenever it comes out. Also I have to say this is much better than the barrel aged Klaus since you can actually taste the hop profile that makes this such an interesting brew.

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

22 oz bomber. I've waited a while for this one.

pours nearly black, the head foamy and brown, the lacing pretty decent. Nose is full of piney hoppy bitterness, some citrus as well, but chocolate is also quite evident along with a muted char. Smells great, though I'm not really getting the coffee I expected.

I'll admit it - I'm underwhelmed by the taste. Probably hyped this one up too much in my mind. Very enjoyable though I had hoped for something that seemed a little more...I dunno, spicy? There's heavily roasted and charred malts, chocolate again, more coffee than I noted earlier, and of course lots of hops. I love that side of the beer. It seems pretty balanced despite all those hops, which are more citrusy and less pine than I noted in the aroma.

Finish is lightly drying, carbonation light, body medium-high. Nothing detracts from the drinkability, and I find myself taking big mouthfuls to let the full flavors wash over my palate, but I've got no real desire to have another tonite.
An excellent beer. I just think I still prefer Top Sail.

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%

Dark black, even for a porter. It was topped with a nice off white head comprised of nice small bubbles.

The aroma is outstanding, filled with a bunch of chocolate and roasted malt and some coffee. The chocolate is very creamy smelling and inviting.

This is one tasty beer. It starts off with a nice chocolaty burst with a touch of bitterness and fades into roasted malt with a slight lingering bitterness.

Nice body on this, not to heavy but thick enough to get the job done. Great for the style.

Good beer all around. Would make a great everyday drinking beer except it's not available year round.

4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured very black into my Stone RIS stem. Blacker than any porter I've had to date. Super nice, fresh-looking head filled with glistening popping bubbles, off-white in color.
Wonderful aroma of piney hops, french roast coffee grinds with a mild whiff of smoke.
Cocoa on the first wave of taste, with a supple body of hops and delicious malt with a nice hoppy finish. As with most beers from 3F, no skimp on hop flavor. Absolutely delicious and very thankful to land a few bottles this year.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Pours deep dark brown, almost black, with a off-white head that holds a decent cap throughout the glass. Aroma is a great mix of big hops and big roast malt character. Flavor is very much the same, with the hops coming up front, followed closely by a big roast malt flavor, with lots of coffee like notes. Body is medium.

3.62/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks go out to SPLITGRIN for this one.

Pours from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Nearly opaque with chocolate highlights underneath. Small mocha head that doesnt last very long. Nice bit of lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroms is actually a bit hoppy. I havent smelled hops in a porter before, but I guess a Holiday porter is as good a time as any to throw in some hop aroma. Plenty of good chocolate and coffee aromas as well.

More hop flavor as well. The roasted grains seemed to take a bit of a backseat to the hop flavor. Sweet up front as well. Hop bitterness in the end. Sticky on the tongue.

Glad I got to try this. I could see myself having a couple of these once or twice a year. There was a little too much sweetness and that could get a bit cloying after 22oz. A nice solid beer that is certainly different than any other porter I have ever had. Originality points but point detractions for "style" purposes.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Pours dark brown with some garnet notes. Decent head that fadesa little quickly. Still, its a pretty beer. Smells a bit sugary but this is balanced by nice roasty and chocolate notes. The taste is beautifully balanced between candi sugar, citrusy hops, and chocolate. Their is a very slightly metallic finish, but that is not too unusual in a porter and it doesn't distract from the brew. Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly sweet without being sticky. Delicious- its the candi sugar that adds a sweet note that makes this beer. Also,its a nice change of pace from all the winter warmers around.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.