2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

(Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,606 | Reviews: 692 | Show All Ratings:
Mitchster

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

All I have to say is that this better be one amazing brew, cause it cost me $8.19 for a 220z bomber about 2 miles down the road from the brewery.

This pours out to a dense very dark brown, forming a dark cocoa head with average retention and lacing. Carbonation is a little stronger than most 3F's (I find the mild carbonation of their brews appealing). Oh yum, the aroma is intense and wonderful...there is a ton of chocolate, toast, and deeply roasted grains, but it's wonderfully balanced by amazing resinous skunkweed hops. I'm thinking Chinook. The nose is awesome. The mouthfeel is slick, oily and mineral with a dense body, but has a touch too much carbonation for my preferences. Powdery and almost flittery. The taste makes me think Bear Republic Stout mixed 60:40 with Stone IPA...kinda like a tweaked Barney Flats. The huge amount of chocolate malt and black patent adds a sharp astringency to the finish. Bitterness is medium-strong and very woodsy. The aftertaste seems to linger forever with burnt grains, charcoal, and pine sap. The finish is very dry and as it warms, a touch of isopropyl alcohol enters the picture.

This isn't your Dad's porter, but it's quite the tasty little brew. It's hard to justify the price as other similarly stylized brews would go for $5.99/bomber or so. I found it more enjoyable after it warmed up and the carbonation mellowed. One of a kind, but I'd be hard pressed to buy it again considering the cost.

12-28-2005 00:10:35 | More by Mitchster
BigDaddyWil

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Much anticipated treat for Christmas day, courtesy of nisjer05.

Cool label, as the case with all Three Floyds beers!!!
Very dark brown color, almost black, but not quite. A decent one inch tan colored head that dissappated quickly. Not much lacing.

Great smell, a combination of coffee, chocolate, with piney floral accents.

Awesome taste, first it hits you with roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate. It ends with a perfect amount of piney hop bitterness. Very well balanced!!!

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and not too heavy.

Great drinkability, if I had more of this beer, I would have drank more. Not filling and very easy too drink. Overall a great brew from Three Floyds. I must find some more of this treat before the holiday season is over. A must try!!!

12-27-2005 00:24:01 | More by BigDaddyWil
DrJay

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

This beer is very dark brown with mahogany highlights and there was a bit of cascading from the pour. The light brown head showed good lacing and decent retention. Quite nice! There's some roasted character to the aroma, but pine and grapefruit from the hops covered most of this up. In fact, it smelled quite a lot like pine trees. The same happened in the flavour to a lesser extent, with malt becoming more evident as it warmed. Strong hop bitterness. There were hints of semi-sweet chocolate and coffee, along with herbal hops, throughout. The finish really lingered and had a lot of hop flavour and roasted bitterness. Medium bodied and quite dry, there was a bit of slickness and well-integrated carbonation. This is a big, hoppy interpretation of a porter and exactly what I expect from 3F. You can tell there's a solid porter malt base lurking underneath all the hops. Quite enjoyable. Thanks for the pick-up Viggo!

12-26-2005 20:19:07 | More by DrJay
GClarkage

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

12/24/05- Purchased via mail order with Archer Liquors in Chicago, ILL.

Presentation- 2005 release. 22oz bottle with a crazy ass tattoed carnie looking thing dumping hops into a pint glass. Kinda a scary way to celebrate Christmas Eve. Poured into two wine goblets.

Appearance- Pretty damn black in color, off white, light brown sugar colored head of about 3/4 inches. Pretty nice lacing left along the inside of the glass.

Smell- Damn, they weren't lying about the hops. Smelled quite bitter with a nice bucketload of some spices...maybe cinnimon?

Taste- Lots, in fact maybe the most dark chocolate flavor I have had in a porter before. Tastes like some funky ass coffee as well. Not really Starbucks like, but maybe some Mexican or Turkish coffee. Has a nice bite to it. Has a nice sugary tang as well in the flavor. Spices come through in every sip. Hops takeover as the prominent taste though, which is odd for a porter, at least ones that I have tried.

Mouthfeel- Pretty well carbonated, in fact way too much IMO for a porter.

Drinkability- Nice change of pace beer. I wouldn't recommend it as a traditional porter, but if someone love hops and love porters, this would be a nice fix for them. Probably a once a year beer for me. Definitely not a session brew.

12-25-2005 05:32:09 | More by GClarkage
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very dark in color-basically black though not quite thru and thru like some beers. Great tan head on top. Extremely hoppy and floral aroma. Very perfume like. It actually reminds me of Victory's Storm King which I have recently found to be very, very hoppy. Fantastic flavor-great blend of hops and roasted malt. Its balanced enough that the high hop levels meld into the roasted malts. Hops do tend to dominate overall. Nice mouthfeel-full bodied and not too dry or sweet in the finish. An extremely drinkable beer. I actually read a recent review in a newspaper column about Xmas beers and the writer stated he didnt remember 3 Floyds beers tasting this good when he lived right near the brewery. I sort of have to agree-in that it has taken them a few years to come around to my liking. For a while they were really nothing special but have really come into their own. Well done I say!!

12-25-2005 04:40:51 | More by lackenhauser
scruffwhor

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance- A great creamy brown head. Color was black all the way, no light could penetrate its dark soul.

Smell- Immeadiate hops mixed chocolate and coffee.

Taste- An excellent bitter cappuchino flavor. Starts with hops and ends with hops bitterness.

Mouthfeel- A chewy, creamy palate leaving your taste buds realing with hops and chocolate.

Drinkability- Not to overbearing if your having this AS desert. Definetly a meal in bottle.

12-25-2005 00:51:01 | More by scruffwhor
cracker

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

First this is a damn good beer. Pours a dark opaque black color with a faint creamy head. The aroma is to kill for. I've never smelled such fresh piney resins in a bottled beer. It's as if this beer were served on draft at the brewery. It clearly has benefited from late hop additions and dry hopping. Fresh, fresh , fresh. Somewhat of a subtle touch of sweet molasses aroma. Taste is of warming alcohol and an overwhelming yet delightful dry dark chocolate presence. Lots of bittering hops which linger as an aftertaste which is pleasant nevertheless. Well balanced despite being hop heavy. Chocolate malts back it up adequately. A wonderful seasonal beer. Oh I love this time of the year!!!

12-24-2005 21:44:05 | More by cracker
beveragecaptain

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

22 ounce bottle. Three Floyd's Alpha Klaus pours out a nearly, but not quite, black color with a creamy head. The aroma is very roasty, nutty, and hoppy. Incredibly, the hops go very well with the roastiness. The flavor is sweet at first with caramel and chocolate. Roasted flavors come in at the middle. The finish is bitter, with citrus hops. This beer is probably more hoppy than any porter I've had. Furthermore, the hop flavor melds with the roasty flavors to create a delicious whole. Mouthfeel is medium. A beer this tasty is almost drinkable by default. Great beer. I'm falling in love with this brewery, even as I despise it for the price of it's beer ($9 for this bomber).

12-17-2005 02:50:53 | More by beveragecaptain
ClearDog

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance -- Pours a deep midnight black with a thick, creamy, two finger light-brown head. It looks pretty good. Can't wait to try it. Nice lacing.

Smell -- Initial smell is light hops followed by chocolate. The chocolate scent is more pronounced as the porter warms. The hops are distinct but I am not good with identifying all hop varieties. Reminds me in a way of how Alpha King smells, but not as strong.

Taste -- Burnt chocolate, coffee, and some bitterness. Reminds me of excellent porters like GL's Edmund Fitzgerald. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel -- A little more on the heavier side. Slightly chewy and creamy.

Drinkability -- This one is very quaffable. If it didn't cost $8 for a bomber I'd probably purchase more. I've got one more bottle I'll save for closer to Christmas. In many ways it reminds me of Edmund Fitzgerald. A nice offering from Three Floyds but due to the cost and similarity to Edmund Fitzgerald, I won’t be purchasing it again anytime soon.

12-17-2005 00:56:08 | More by ClearDog
whartontallboy

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Pours out a rich cola-brown with a finger and a half of dense tan foam that fades slowly and leaves a decent amount of lace.

Smell is rather intense, and it's hard to unpack at first. The initial wave in your nose is pure West Coast hoppiness, almost like you're sniffing a pale ale. A seriously bitter pine/spruce hop nose kicks in, but underneath there's a solid roasted maltiness with some coffee and chocolate.

Flavor is more of the unusual same: a big, IPA-ish wave of evergreen hop flavors that then mellows out into a slightly bitter, balanced chocolate and coffee flavor. The lingering aftertaste is an interesting blend of bitterness, both from the coffee and hop flavors and sweet chocolate/roasty tastes. Quite unique. Some little spices slip in as well, notably cinnamon, but I also get a little tiny licorice flavor. Mouthfeel is creamy and pleasant.

Overall: I didn't buy this one last year because I thought it was too much for a single bottle. Wow. I was wrong. A completely unique porter that really uses aggressive hopping without being over-the-top and losing all of its porter characteristics. Outstanding.

12-15-2005 03:59:07 | More by whartontallboy
maggotbrain

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

The beer is black with a thick tan head. The head dies down to a bubbly layer of film. There is quite a bit of lacing on the glass.

The beer smells strongly of pine. Not really expected with a porter, but this is a Three Floyds beer and mega-hopped beers are their thing.

There is a lot of pine in the taste as well. Somewhere in there meek hints of dark chocolate and coffee attempt to make themselves known, but are crushed behind a wall of pine. This would be great if Three Floyds called this a black IPA, but they don't, they call it a porter, and I'm having trouble figuring out what is supposed to make this beer very porter-like.

Mouthfeel is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

The drinkability of this beer is pretty good, goes down easy.

Overall this is a pretty good beer, but it is certainly not worth $8.99 for a 22 oz bottle.

12-15-2005 03:08:45 | More by maggotbrain
Phatz

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

This beer pours a dark red/Black; meaning it is opaque and looks black but does contain some red highlights. It has a nice 2-3 finger head and significant lacing.

Smell: From the moment I cracked open the bottle before I even got to start pouring it I got a FULL nose of a bold sweet, malty beer. Nice. After pouring it, I got subtle hints of hops and pine, chocolate and barely a bit of espresso hiding in the back of the aroma.

Taste: I lift the glass of this beautiful, nice smelling beer to my mouth for a sip and SMACK!!! ‘Holy green hoppy pine batman’, that was unexpected. ewe. Wow, what an intense overwhelming flavor of eating tree. I think there is some sweet caramel under there but I don't know if I can make it through the forest to find it on every sip; I just can’t get past the pine. If dragon breath was made of pine, the aftertaste would be a pine/fire breath across my tongue. If you like pine, go for it. This beer is for you. For me it is simply a flavor I don't care for. I was sitting beside my artificial Christmas tree and I thought it turned real and jumped into my glass. It was mostly the aftertaste that made me pucker so drastically.
I did pull out some Danish Havarti, cheese after a bit and things did begin to improve. As the beer reached room temperature and the bottle neared the end, I did find myself wincing less, and maybe even enjoying it. With a nibble of cheese after each sip, the aftertaste no longer bothered me so much. I thought about moving my rating up to 3.5 pushing 4; but that is the beer cheese combo not the beer alone. So I'll stand by my rating with the note that the cheese salvaged it and made it a good experience.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is initially light and thin; crisp and a bit bitey. A little swishing brought out the malty creamy feel, but I had to look for it.

Drinkability: This beer started off being even hard to stomach because of the extreme flavors. As my palate warmed up to it, the pine mellowed into a less extreme taste of coffee and became increasingly drinkable. The 'Loudness' of this beer makes it one to work on; not one that goes down very easily.

My review does seem to be a different experience than many other people had; but that is just my opinion.

---
I originally gave this beer a 2.5 for the taste. I am leaving my original review because it was my honest impression with that experience. This time round I found it to be a bit less cloying than I did last time so I increased the taste to a 3.0 rating for this experience. I stand by the opinion that if you like the pine flavor you’ll like this, if you don’t, beware.
---

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

12-14-2005 01:48:04 | More by Phatz
cokes

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Darkest cherry with a short, ashen brown collar.
Fragrant of burnt coffee, burnt spruce, burnt pine, burnt grapefruit, and vanilla bean (unburnt). There is also a mellow, almost illusory cognac impression deep down in.
Begins with a thickened molasses and chicory maltiness that grows to encompass prune and black raisins and bakers chocolate. It ventures even farther, as rasping cigar smoke and oily espresso shatter forth, then subside to a caramel glaze and oaky vanilla (a la bourbon) sweetness. The next shattering moment is delivered by the hops. All wintergreen menthol, spruce tips, grapefruit rinds, and pine rosin. It's oily, and it is forceful, and it is bitter as hell, but equal on the hop associated flavors. At the close there are lingering burning leaves, a dusting of coffee grounds, a tweak of sugary, red grape vinousness, and more sugared evergreen branches.
Generally medium bodied, teetering possibly thinner, but well situated within the porter domain, with its steady sense of diffuse fleece.
Price not withstanding, this is endlessly gulpable. A fattened hophead porter. If I could get this in sixpacks for the price of the bomber, I'd drink it all season....but that seems to be the case with all of FFF's specialties.

12-12-2005 08:14:08 | More by cokes
Golden2wenty1

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Picked up a bomber at Riley's here in Madison. At 8.99 a bottle, my biggest beer splurge to date.

Pours crude oil black with a couple fingers of capuccino froth. Nose is vibrant and clean, with notes of menthol/piney hops, tabacco, espresso beans and dark chocolate cocoa. Taste is a tale of two beers, reminded me a lot of Founders Black Rye, with the juxtaposition of big floral hoppiness and chocolately roasted malts. Mouthfeel was rich and creamy. This is an impressive American porter, I don't know if I can put it above the Edmund Fitzgerald though, certainly not on value. At half the price it's a steal, at $9/bottle it's a one time indulgence.

12-11-2005 22:50:20 | More by Golden2wenty1
carln26

Missouri

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

It poured form the bottle a dark brown to black with some ruby highlights, and a dense, tan head that stuck around for ages, and left a clumpy lace on the side of the glass. The nose is an explosion of grapefruit hop along with espresso and chocolate, just a hint of toffee on the finish. The taste? WOW. This is a porter. More grapefruit and orange right up front. The espresso and chocolate are a bit muted in the flavor. There is a touch of dark roasted malt on the finish. Man is this beer a hop bomb. Thick, wonderfully rich mouth feel. Great drinkability, no real heat from the alcohol. Merry Christmas 3 Floyds!

12-11-2005 21:30:00 | More by carln26
stewart124

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

22oz bottle aged a year
Right when I opened this I could smell the hops!
Pours a very dark reddish brown with a foamy thick tan head. Lingering head.
Smells of strong high octane hops and an underlying malt presence. Everything is maksed by the hops though.
The first thing that comes to mind for taste is the body. Very smooth and rich. Hoppy and delicious. Malts hit the palate more towards the end of the hop bite. Dark tasty malts in the aftertaste that stay with you. There is a spice to this beer but mainly I taste hops and roasted malts. Complex beer and it is a great one. Merry Christmas Alpha Klaus!

12-10-2005 04:23:31 | More by stewart124
cubedbee

Maryland

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

22 oz bomber, no date, but I know it's 2005. Poured into an imperial pint, dark opaque black with a slight reddish hue, 3 fingers of light brown head, good retention, nice lacing. Smell is very very hoppy for a porter, somewhat piney, some nice dark chocolate and roasted coffee lingering. Taste is more of the same, a wonderful rich chocolate, roasted malt, espresso, all overlaid with a strong hop taste. Mouthfeel is full and rich and creamy. Very very nice porter, I love the hops, great seasonal.

12-10-2005 00:29:33 | More by cubedbee
dirtylou

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

22oz bomber, Sams-suburban chicago, a whopping $8.99 bomber

popped to celebrate bears and giants W's

appearance: wicked awesome bottle, as usual from FFF. Pours a silky dark, almost black, color. creamy chocolate brown head forms with nice lacing...some ruby highlighting

smell: dark and robust chocolate, characteristic of fresh hopppiness always found in 3F brews. roasty and creamy, some light toffee, coffee bean, cocoa poweder

taste: silky smooth and delicious, fresh and clean hoppiness, milk chocolatey. full flavored, some dark fruitage, raisin, toffee. Quite hoppy for a porter, very enjoyable

mouthfeel: silky smooth, quite nice

drinkability: very very drinkable

12-04-2005 22:17:54 | More by dirtylou
Maestro

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Enjoyed this gem with dessert on Thanksgiving. The beer poured a dark brown with hints of red. The head was tan and well-represented, leaving a nice head on the glass. The smell was full of chocolate and Pacific Northwest Hops. Taste was reminiscent of many good porters I have sampled in the past. The alcohol was high but very unnoticeable. I could have drank more of this beer. Find a bomber and enjoy!

12-04-2005 21:42:26 | More by Maestro
TurdFurgison

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Had this from a 3 Floyds bomber. Looked dark and thick, had the trademark 3 Floyds smell (maybe they use the same hops in many of their beers?). Really good taste too.

I don't try too many porters, I guess I never got into them all that much. But this one was good. I'll have it again in the future, especially if I can find it in smaller bottles.

12-04-2005 14:19:29 | More by TurdFurgison
jlh8643

Indiana

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Served in an imperial pint glass at the brew pub. Very dark with slight ruby tinge around the edges and a tight tan head that sits on top leaving good lace down the glass. The aroma gives you a ton of pine with hints of cocoa and chocolate and dark roasted malt. The pine hops lead initially but the dark malts take over with the malty sweetness and taste of molasses coming from the mexican sugar. The beer finishes somewhat dry with hops again bringing up the rear. Another great beer for the holidays from 3F's

12-03-2005 16:06:45 | More by jlh8643
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours an opaque dark brown, red visible on the sides, big tan head forms, nice sticky lace. Smell is coffee/chocolate, roast, then big pine and grapefruit hope blasts. Taste is chocolate, coffee and caramel, with a super resinous piney finish. Mouthfeel is medium to full with low carbonation. True 3F interpretation, my only complaint is that by the end of the glass the hops have killed taste buds enough to weaken the roasty flavour, but other than that spectacular.

12-01-2005 20:55:37 | More by Viggo
SurgeonGeneral

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Serving temp: 45F Serving Glass: Mug

Aroma: Piney, earthy smell is pretty assertive at first, with bits of subdued toasty malts & sweetness coming through near the end. The pine smell is obviously the dominant aroma in this one, but not overdone, and more reminiscent of a fresh cut tree in your house rather than fresh growth right in your face.

Appearance: Deep, deep opaque brown. Almost black. An aggressive pour results in an average sized head that hangs on to a thin film after a few minutes, dark tan in color. Great lacing.

Taste: The hops are still very present in the taste, contributing that same earthy pine smell, but is more balanced here than in the aroma. A good amount of sweetness makes itself known almost immediately, and finishes out with a bitterness that fades ti the original pine. Very cool.

Mouthfeel: Modest carbonation & full body make this a very creamy smooth beer. Finish is rather dry and begs you to take another sip.

Drinkability: This would be a great porter for any occasion, but it is especially well suited for the Christmas season with it's unique piney characteristic. I was expecting something a little more adventuresome form FFFs, but this still doesn't dissapoint. I'll be curious to see how a few hold up over the next couple holiday seasons.

11-28-2005 03:55:51 | More by SurgeonGeneral
jakester

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I got this bomber at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a goblet.

Pours an almost opaque ruby/garnet with brown tints and a two finger head of tan foam. Head eventually falls to islands and a ring, with fantastic lacing throughout the drink.

Aroma is a very complex combination of cocoa, coffee, vanilla, really spicy pine sap, dark fruits like prunes or dates, and big dark bread notes.

Flavor is this huge chocolatey pine needles, on the sweet side, with a fairly big hop bitterness to back it up. Fruits like gin soaked raisins and dates come through. Aftertaste is sweet chocolate, pine sap, and a slightly drying roastiness. Delicious beer!

Mouthfeel is really smooth and creamy, with soft carbonation.There is a nice bite on the tongue from bitterness, and the lips stick together from lingering sweetness. Finish is sweet, very slightly astringent from roasted malts, and slightly warm from alcohol.

This is an absolutely delicious beer, and as a holiday beer, it's perfect. Deep dark chocolate, spicy pine hops, luxurious mouthfeel, and a nice alcohol kick to boot. I need more!

11-24-2005 16:30:19 | More by jakester
froggyfrog

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

2005 Klaus big bottle served in a large crystal snifter.

Nice color. Quite dark with ruby-red undertones. Little to no head achieved on the pour, however this beer exhibits a nice sticky, chunky lacing when swirled.

Chocolate and enticing malt aromas drift up from the glass. Other olfactory components include spicy hops, mild molasses and a hint of alcohol.

This beer measures up to it's malty aromatics with a good solid mouthfeel. It is full without being thick. The taste is enjoyable. A nice and smooth maltiness at the front with plenty of hop character to balance it out. This beer is super smooth while showcasing moderate flavors throughout before reaching a dry finish.

Chocolate, molasses, spicy hops like a mixture of sage and ground thyme and a smokiness fill out the taste.

This beer is incredibly drinkable for the style. It has lots of flavor without being overwhelming and it doesn't sit too heavily on the stomach. While its price-point and ABV deny it session beer status, it certainly drinks like one.

11-23-2005 07:26:39 | More by froggyfrog