Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-06-2002

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Ratings: 2,012 | Reviews: 729
4.51/5  rDev +9.5%

SCORE!!! I found this marked down to $5 (from $9) because it is now out of season. "Silly fools," I say. "This is one of my top 3 porters and it should still be good even this late in the year."

Pours almost black into a Duvel tulip with a one-finger brown head that eventually settles into a milky froth that coats the surface.

Inhaling deeply through the nose reveals a rich, sweet aroma of malty sativa buds, foreshadowing the hoppy goodness I am about to enjoy.

Starts out tasting like a thick IPA, then quickly morphs into a slightly sweet malt and finishes with a Sumatra coffee aftertaste that lingers on.

Mouthfeel is of moderate thickness with a touch of creamy froth.

This is a very drinkable porter, despite its 7.5% ABV content. They should really make this year-round. Instead, I will continue to enjoy it during my December rituals during the Sunday afternoon football game - and occasionally score the occasional discounted bottle in late spring.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

This was my first Three Floyds purchase. Naturally, I had heard a lot of the brewery, so when I came across a case of this at the Beer Yard, I couldn't pass it up. At any rate...pours a beautiful dark opaque brown with rusty highlights around the edges. Super soft, light brown head that has a wonderful thickness to it. Looks like something I'd want to put on top of some chocolate cake. Smells immediately like I'm in a backwoods hop patch. And, unfortunately, I hate to be cliche, but it does smell like Christmas. Super, smooth creamy mouthfeel transports a huge delivery of roasty, chocolatey, caramel malt into the palate. Not too far behind is the surprising hop presence. Very hoppy for a porter. I even has a bit of that stringent porter character, which I'm not always a fan of, but its pulled off with perfection here. I'm assuming its the other flavors that balancecd it. The beer finishes with a nice dry touch and a lingering aftertaste of dry, dark cocoa powder. Man, this stuff is just amazing, its unlike any other porter I've had.

3.86/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured at celler temp into 2 snifters.

Dark black with an off-white head which turns quickly into a thin layer.

Coffee is the dominant aroma, with other warm roasted malts, a floral hop note, and a slight sourness.

This turns out to be a somewhat classic, light-bodied, coffee, smokey porter. Not quite as special as I was hoping, but still good. My wife, who knew what was coming next, immediately set it down figuring it wasn't worth the calories. My reaction wasn't nearly that strongly negative - but I like a porter.

Light, with high carbonation. A little mouth-coating, but minor.

Easy drinking, though not terribly interesting.

There are several other porters I'd much rather drink. Somewhat of a letdown.

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%

Included and recommended by Gratefulbeerhead.... Thanks Eric! I really enjoyed this one. Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Black appearance with dark tan head. Pours to 1/2 inch of head with good retention. The aroma is dominated by coffee and chocolate, and the taste is very similar, dominated by coffee and chocolate as well. Very good porter, sweet with a domination of malt on the tongue. Mouthfeel is perfect for a porter and the drinkability is exceptional for a porter.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

Appearance -- Pours a deep midnight black with a thick, creamy, two finger light-brown head. It looks pretty good. Can't wait to try it. Nice lacing.

Smell -- Initial smell is light hops followed by chocolate. The chocolate scent is more pronounced as the porter warms. The hops are distinct but I am not good with identifying all hop varieties. Reminds me in a way of how Alpha King smells, but not as strong.

Taste -- Burnt chocolate, coffee, and some bitterness. Reminds me of excellent porters like GL's Edmund Fitzgerald. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel -- A little more on the heavier side. Slightly chewy and creamy.

Drinkability -- This one is very quaffable. If it didn't cost $8 for a bomber I'd probably purchase more. I've got one more bottle I'll save for closer to Christmas. In many ways it reminds me of Edmund Fitzgerald. A nice offering from Three Floyds but due to the cost and similarity to Edmund Fitzgerald, I won’t be purchasing it again anytime soon.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured- a dark black with a thick tan head. good amount of lace
smell- aroma includes coffee, chocolate, roasted malts and hops
taste- . very interesting for a porter chocolate, coffee,roasted malts some toffee and big hop flavors also
mouthfeel- good body and carbonation.
drinkability- another great beer by fff's. goes down way to easy for a 7.5%.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Vintage: 2010

Serving Type: 22oz Bomber poured into a Tulip glass.

A: A very rich, dark brown with about 2 inches of light, sandy-color head. Lacing is ample.

S: The aroma of hops is present, but is quickly overpowered by coffee and roasted chocolate.

T: Hit with a tiny, bitter hop taste as it hits my tongue. A sweet, fruity roasted malt dominates.

M: Creamy with tiny bubbles introduce themselves to my tongue. A heavey, medium body Porter that finishes a little dry.

D: Very drinkable! Looking forward to Christmas 2011!! Kidding...let's enjoy some sunshine in 2011 first! A great way to start the weekend.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

First this is a damn good beer. Pours a dark opaque black color with a faint creamy head. The aroma is to kill for. I've never smelled such fresh piney resins in a bottled beer. It's as if this beer were served on draft at the brewery. It clearly has benefited from late hop additions and dry hopping. Fresh, fresh , fresh. Somewhat of a subtle touch of sweet molasses aroma. Taste is of warming alcohol and an overwhelming yet delightful dry dark chocolate presence. Lots of bittering hops which linger as an aftertaste which is pleasant nevertheless. Well balanced despite being hop heavy. Chocolate malts back it up adequately. A wonderful seasonal beer. Oh I love this time of the year!!!

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured into a goblet, appeared as dark cola and had a scant tan head (I could have poured it with more vigor). Smelled spicy, with pine, coffee/espresso/roasted malts and a hint of toffee. The bittering hops were fairly prominent in the taste. Started sweet (not cloying) then some good piney hops which gave way to chocolate/coffee and a finishing bitter. Medium body, medium-low carbonation. Just a tad sticky on the palate. A really nice porter - certainly a good, warming brew to enjoy on a winter's day.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

One of the greatest winter warmers in the market! A robust porter with a festive flavor. It is a malty beer with a west coast hop slam. A beautiful bitter dark chocolate mixed in with dark roasted coffee. A little hint of spices.

3.26/5  rDev -20.9%

The beer is black with a thick tan head. The head dies down to a bubbly layer of film. There is quite a bit of lacing on the glass.

The beer smells strongly of pine. Not really expected with a porter, but this is a Three Floyds beer and mega-hopped beers are their thing.

There is a lot of pine in the taste as well. Somewhere in there meek hints of dark chocolate and coffee attempt to make themselves known, but are crushed behind a wall of pine. This would be great if Three Floyds called this a black IPA, but they don't, they call it a porter, and I'm having trouble figuring out what is supposed to make this beer very porter-like.

Mouthfeel is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

The drinkability of this beer is pretty good, goes down easy.

Overall this is a pretty good beer, but it is certainly not worth $8.99 for a 22 oz bottle.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Date Drunk: 12/5/2010

22oz into pint glass

A: Dark brown color with some red floating around. The head stays on this on.
S: Smell of heavy hops is clear with some roasted malt and molasses.
T: A smokey, almost burnt flavor is initially felt. The aftertaste of smoke and dark chocolate is very enjoyable.
M: Very smooth with all of these different flavors in the beer.
O: A very enjoyable beer, but in order for me to purchase again, I would need a more complex hop flavor upfront. The hop smell made me think there would be a strong presence of hops, but I was wrong.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured with a small amount of head. Dark black coloring.

Smells of chocolate and a bit of a nutty flavor. Almond perhaps.

Great chocolate flavor. Lovely porter taste. So good I forgot to finish this review ;)

D: I wish this was a bit more affordable because I'd buy a bunch. Great drinkability!

4.49/5  rDev +9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoyed this brew. Heavy look, but not quite as heavy a taste (of course that depends on your definition of heavy), but extremely tasty and smooth. Very good holiday porter. Looks as smooth as it tastes. Unfortunately, with a bit of a cold, I cannot give any good smell descriptions as I basically have none. But I truly enjoyed this beer.

3.86/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours very dark but very thin for a porter. Smells almost of pine needles; maybe it's the whole "christmas" thing that has me thinking of pine needles.

I think there is a lot of unfounded hype around this one. It's good but like most FFF I've had, price per beer is just way too high for what you're getting. One 22oz vs a six-pack of Bell's Porter and I'll take the Bell's hands down.

Pretty drinkable although the 7.5% seems a bit low; this one really hit me.

Good to try, wouldn't be a regular beer I would seek out.

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle to a nonic. Just purchased the last 2 at Kimbark Liquors in Hyde Park.

A: Very dark. I got very little, if any, light coming through. Had a large, substantial, and fluffy brownish head. Almost caramel-colored. It looks beautiful.

S: Roasted malts. dark chocolate. plus those iconic FFF hops. Hop aroma is distinctly reminiscent of alpha king. overall impression of the smell is piney plus roasted coffee with a chocolate tinge that just screams Christmas time to me. A porter underneath alpha king, perfect for winter.

T: Subtle coffee and dark chocolate notes. Prominent but not overbearing hops (a citrus mix that turns into pine for me). The aroma is better balanced, but I still enjoy the taste a lot.

M: Mouth feel is lighter than you would expect from looking at it. Makes it more drinkable, though I wouldn't mind this being a sipper.

D: Much more drinkable than I expected. Goes down almost too easily. The hops keep it refreshing.

Currently one of my favorite beers (I had a couple last year too). Try it with your christmas ham.

4.11/5  rDev -0.2%

From a 22oz bottle into a Dogfish Head oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Nearly pitch black. Only a faintest red hue when held to the light. A finger’s worth of bubbly, frothy mocha brown head sits atop the beer after a moderately vigorous pour. There is very little apparent carbonation in this beer. The head retains very well all throughout the drink. A rich, thick lacing sticks to the walls of the glass. 4.75/5

Smell: A very interesting blend of roasty chocolates and bouncy alpha hops. Coffee and spices are latent in the mix. A wonderfully paradoxical medley of scents. 4.25/5

Taste: Follows through on the nose with a balanced blend of lighter roasted malts, a hint of Christmas spice, and a hoppy kick. Spices and hops kick it off, with roasted chocolates and coffee taking the middle. A hoppy aftertaste draws me back for another sip. Quite hoppy for a porter – the hops are predominant in this one. Almost like a black pale ale. 4.25/5

Mouthfeel: On the lighter end. Very low carbonation. Bitter presence but nothing particularly strong; instead, a lusher, drawing kind of bitter. Not really sticky. 4.5/5

Overall: Easy drinking, even for a porter. Solid flavor and a bit of bitterness brings one back for more sips. Low carbonation and do-able ABV makes this one quite quaffable. 4.25/5

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 22 oz. into a snifter.

A: Dark, like pitch. Very little head but does leave some lacing as it goes down.

S: Burnt grains, coffee and some spice. The hops really do come through quite nicely, mostly a bitter smell, like rubber. It's actually a good thing.

M: The carbonation on this one is a bit high but is somewhat creamy on the finish. Dries out a bit as it lingers. Pretty darn good on the palate.

T: Molasses, coffee, burnt malt and hops shine through. Having trouble picking up the spice at first but there's an allspice quality to this one as it warms. Very understated which I prefer for a holiday brew.

O: Very drinkable for the style, although I wouldn't suggest more than one. I believe these beers are meant to be shared anyway. Another solid offering from a fantastic brewery. Next up, Fireside Chat!

Reviewed on 12/24/2011

4/5 Pours out black as night with a two_finger, tan head with great retention.

4/5 Smell is a mix of subdued citrus and pine hope, some dark malts, and mollasses, which all combine nicely Really nice semll.

4/5 Taste is almost a little hop-forward with pine yet is blended well with the dark malts, dark sugars and fruit. Really a nicely balanced beer with a slight hop-forward taste.

4/5 Mouthefeel is medium to thick and more on the thicker side. Really a nice beer. Just when I wanted to try this a generous BA had it in a box at my house without even asking

4.26/5  rDev +3.4%

Into dogfish snifter. Black, various sized bubbles compose a nice 3/4" khaki head. Head drops to a fog and a solid ring. Super malty nose, all rich caramel and chocolate. Almost an interesting note of wood, like ceder or something. Quite a bit of carbonation, fizzles and brings back the head with a swirl. Smell is clean and clear, maybe a little meaty, some licorice too. Flavor is really great. Hops don't show themselves in aroma or flavor, obviously an aged bottle, considering FFF haven't been distributed in Ohio for a long time, no idea where dude got these or how long they've been in his cooler. Flavor is an amazingly complex blend, rich round chocolate, no lingering bitterness but definitely not too sweet. Sweet creamy coffee, light easy drinking iced tea, such a smooth light flavor without being bland or one note. Glad I got a second bottle of this. Drinks super easy. Feel is good too, only the slightest bit mouth-coating, not sticky at all, mostly helps the flavor linger. These kinds of finds are always great. As the beer warms flavor starts showing some fruit, raspberry I think. It's interesting to me that drinking and tasting this beer is definitely linked to my situation right now. I'm enjoying this beer, while watching the new K-OS video, I'm reminded that I really enjoy his music. It takes me back to a drive down to Yellow Springs where I first purchased Palo Santo Merron and stole ramps from a state park. Those ramps were delicious.

3.86/5  rDev -6.3%

A very good beer just a little more hops than I expected from a porter. One that carrys a well hidden kick while being drank, color looked right for a porter but both flavor and mouthfeel seemed off from what I expect. Maybe the flaw is in the reviewer but not one of the FFF I'll buy again.

3.19/5  rDev -22.6%

Received as an extra from Hayesez - thanks. Poured from a bombed into a pint glass.

A- Dark blackish brown with hint of ruby on the outer edge of the brown/tan head. Head dissipates quickly leaving some nice lacing.

N- Chocolate and coffee, mixed with with bright bitterness along with citrus and floral hops.

T- Big coffee flavor up-front. Almost stout-esque. FInish of citrus and flavor hops. Some nice chocolate malt tones.

M- Heavy.

D- Could not drink very many of these, given its heaviness. Also seems a little flat. Could use some more carbonation to improve the drinkability.

4.41/5  rDev +7%

Serving temp: 45F Serving Glass: Mug

Aroma: Piney, earthy smell is pretty assertive at first, with bits of subdued toasty malts & sweetness coming through near the end. The pine smell is obviously the dominant aroma in this one, but not overdone, and more reminiscent of a fresh cut tree in your house rather than fresh growth right in your face.

Appearance: Deep, deep opaque brown. Almost black. An aggressive pour results in an average sized head that hangs on to a thin film after a few minutes, dark tan in color. Great lacing.

Taste: The hops are still very present in the taste, contributing that same earthy pine smell, but is more balanced here than in the aroma. A good amount of sweetness makes itself known almost immediately, and finishes out with a bitterness that fades ti the original pine. Very cool.

Mouthfeel: Modest carbonation & full body make this a very creamy smooth beer. Finish is rather dry and begs you to take another sip.

Drinkability: This would be a great porter for any occasion, but it is especially well suited for the Christmas season with it's unique piney characteristic. I was expecting something a little more adventuresome form FFFs, but this still doesn't dissapoint. I'll be curious to see how a few hold up over the next couple holiday seasons.

4.21/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours with a huge head which requires a very long settling time. Smell is malt with a hint of espresso. The taste coffee, caramel and malt. Also I get some raisin like flavors as well as nice hoppiness. The alcohol is well balanced. There is also a slight tart note as the flavor fades. The mouth feel is very dry and for lack of a better word foamy.
Overall a nice porter with a hop kick.

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

I am a big fan of American Porter and have tasted many examples. This is a good one, though not among the best I've had, and not really what I would hope for at the price point ($8.50 for a 22oz bomber).

A- A very dark beer with a thick tan head that dissipates to a ring around the edge of the beer and leaves a trailing lace around the glass as it empties. Somewhat darker than what might be expected of the style, but appealing nonetheless.

S- Smell is quite good, though a little sharper than expected. Hints of flowery hops replace the enticingly rich coffee notes of many other examples of this style.

T- Here, as in the smell, astringently bitter hop notes replace the smoother, more comforting tastes of coffee and chocolate. An interesting taste, though not entirely distinct from the much less expensive Sierra Nevada Porter. Not in the same league as Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald or Bert Grant's Perfect Porter. Additionally, by it's name, one might expect some "holiday" type spices, but if they are present, they are not evident as in other holiday offerings.

M- A bit thin, crisp and dry compared to the better porters I've had. Not bad in the realm of beer as a whole, but not necessarily what I look for in a good porter.

D- Not as smooth a beer as I look for a porter to be. More of a "challenge" than the easy-drinking porters I've most enjoyed. And at 7.5%, possibly a little dangerous to relax with for an entire evening, without worrying about over-imbibing.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.