1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Baller Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Baller StoutBaller Stout

pDev: 12%
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Three Floyds’ 15th Anniversary beer. A blend of Dark Lord, Surly Darkness, De Struise Black Albert, and Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch.

(Beer added by: AleWatcher on 11-12-2011)
Reviews by sleuthdog:
4.44/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into FFF teku

Pour: Huge intense black with a khaki two finger head that hung around for a while. After receding to a thick collar, there was a ton of lacing all over the glass. It did not pour out as thick as I was anticipating it would. Alcohol legs of course are visible.

Smell: Roasted goodness all over the place with a bakers chocolate note. Sweetness is evident here in the form of burnt sugar. Some oak and vanilla round out the aroma.

Taste: Well I can say I can tell it is in fact a blend of 4 beers because it does not seem to be integrated well. It is layer upon layer of complexity but yet not blended to hide the base beers into one. Sweetness, molasses is at the front then coffee, roast, chocolate. It ends in an overall bitter finish. Alcohol is evident in a mild burn but not distracting in any way and actually adds to the enjoyment for me.

Mouthfeel: Not the huge thick monster I was expecting but it is the far end of medium to full. Light carbonation and finishes sticky sweet.

Overall: I had high hopes for this beer and I did enjoy the hell out of it's complexity. It is not blended well, IMO but to me this ends up being ok. Not as crazy good as I was hoping but I am enjoying sipping on this one for sure!

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks to Chris for bringing this one to our tasting - it was something I never thought I'd try. Pours a dark, dark brown color with a fading, tan-colored head that doesn't stick around too long before it recedes to nothing but a thin skin cap.

As I first bring my nose to the glass, I'm getting a weird aroma that was hard for be to pinpoint at first, but upon further sniffing, I've come to the conclusion that it was: beef jerky. That's right, I get some serious beef jerky-like aroma off the top of the nose from this thing. Slightly smokey and robust with maybe a touch of spice. Big roasted malts full out the edges, along with some light cocoa beans. Some woody-oak and vanilla aromas don't come through much until the beer warms up a bit, but then they really start to break through. Light sweetness is detectable, but it's slightly overshadowed by the somewhat harsh roast.

The taste hits bit with some sharp coffee and cocoa - dense and seemingly packed with concentrated flavor. The front end is mildly sweet, but it transforms quickly into a more bitter and roasted flavor as the malts grow from quiet to loud within seconds. No beef jerky on the palate, per se, but I swear I'm still getting it in the aroma. Out comes a light heat, almost like a chili pepper spice, although I really don't "taste" chilies - my tongue is just picking up the tingling sensation as though they are there.

The alcohol is a bit subdued at first but gets much, much stronger over the course of this beer. Sweetness comes in noticeably but tame enough to be enjoyable; molasses, light syrup, and some dark fruits are the main contributors. The aftertaste is dominated by an ashy, charred flavor - perhaps this is where my nose was picking up the beef jerky from? Medium-thick body, slick and a touch oily on the palate coming in on the lower end of the carbonation scale.

Certainly glad I got to try this one, although I don't feel it was all it was cracked up to be. Definitely some uniqueness to it, regarding the smokiness and the serious beef jerky notes my nose was picking up. Is it just me who was getting that? Either way, tasty beer, but probably not worth what it took to get it. Thanks again to Chris, though - I'm glad to say I had the chance to experience this one.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Waxed bomber poured into a Hill Farmstead tulip.

Pours a super oily dark black with a small dark brown head along with some light lacing. Nose is slightly sweet, raisins, and chocolate.

Taste is much better than any of of the four beers on their own. Rich and creamy, chocolate and raisns, light roasty flavors as well. Overall quite tasty.

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, dannyfrost!

Black as can be and very thick and viscous, with a moderately sized brown head that leaves spots and smears of stick to the glass.

The aroma is a rich combination of dark, roasted malts, dark plum, chocolate, and a very earthy hop character. Complete and appropriate.

The flavor is similar with chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malt, earthy hops, and a bit of alcohol bite on the finish combining for a big, rich, full, though simple flavor.

Full mouthfeel with low to moderate carbonation. Nice.

A very fine big stout, but disappointing because of the pedigree involved to create this big beer. This beer is expensive, and by all accounts, not worth the hefty price tag. I'd probably prefer any of the base beers to this blend, unfortunately. I'm glad I got to try it, but won't seek out another bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%