2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Baller Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Baller StoutBaller Stout

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Three Floyd’s 15th Anniversary beer.
A blend of Dark Lord, Surly Darkness, De Struise Black Albert, and Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch.
(All beers brewed at 3 Floyds)

(Beer added by: AleWatcher on 11-12-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 561 | Reviews: 125 | Show All Ratings:
Stevedore

Wisconsin

3.91/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

22oz yellow-wax bottle, generously bought over by Doug tonight at our celebratory whale tasting. Poured into a Three Floyds teku glass today, 3/22/2014.

App- Dark opaque black body, with a beautiful tan head, one finger, with very good retention. When Doug opened this up, it was pretty much a gusher and made a mess. So, this is a well carbonated looking stout here.

Smell- Charred malts, roast malts, dark fruit, with that characteristic Black Albert charred dark fruit flavour with a touch of Belgian yeast. Very interesting, but at the same time, not the most pleasant nose that I can get from any imperial stout.

Flavour- Meh. After drinking this with Murda'd Out, the best I can say about this beer is that it's sweet with a nice roasted and charred malt character with a touch of Belgian yeast. If I had to pick the two most forward constituents, I'll go with Darkness and Black Albert. Because I don't have any of that Dark Lord soy sauce diabeetus sweetness here. Decent, but nothing that I'd call well-crafted as the components kind of clash.

Mouthfeel- Fuller bodied, good carbonation. Aftertaste of dirty water mixed with chocolate milk. I don't like that aftertaste very much.

Overall- A fine blend of stouts, definitely deserves its reputation of being a pretty lame stout next to its superior barrel-aged sibling, Murda'd Out Stout, but most good beers would also be lame next to Murda'd Out Stout. Not worth paying $30 for this. Still, it's certainly not a bad beer.

03-23-2014 06:04:56 | More by Stevedore
inlimbo77

Delaware

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz, 2011 anniversary release
DFH signature glass

A: Pitch black in color. Thin film of light tan head. Lacing bits. Some alcohol feet. Well carbonated still.

S: Dark chocolate. Dark cherry and fruit. Really malt forward. Doesn't smell boozy.

T: Bitter dark chocolate. Oxidized a touch. Dark fruit. Cherry. Sweet malt. Good flavors.

M: Full bodied. Thinner than expected.

12-05-2013 16:26:30 | More by inlimbo77
gueuzedreg

Colorado

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

650ml bottle into a CS snifter.

A- Non transparent deep chocolate/black. Medium lacing. Half-finger lacing. Retention is long-lasting.

S- I think this is the shining aspect of this brew. The smell is glorius. Perhaps the Mikkeller shinning through. Rich raisin, dark fruit, chocolate and then coffee in the background.

T- RIS dark fruit forward. I normally don't like this recipe, however this works great for me. I know that many have given more negative reviews on this beer, but I think this is a very drinkable brew. I am very happy to try it. Now, I can't wait to try the BA version of it! (the only beer that I have had of the three is DL) This beer has a lot of anise in it.

M- Has a thick mouthfeel for RIS. Chewy, delicious thick RIS. Love it. I really want to try Darkness now.

O- I was surprised with this beer; thinking that I was giving up too much to get it. I am very pleased with what I tasted for a non-BA RIS. Maybe top 5 for non-BA RIS.

11-22-2013 00:10:00 | More by gueuzedreg
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.01/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle from MeadMe, thank you so much for the opportunity!
Pours a solid black color with a huge tan head that persists forever. Aromas of dark fruit with a hint of lactic, roast, chocolate, molasses, brown sugar, caramel, and earth. The flavor is big and sweet with lots of brown sugar and caramel. Bits of dark chocolate, smoke, dark fruits, and earth. Thick viscous body with a low level of carbonation and a thick syrupy creamy mouthfeel. This is one big thick sweet and sticky stout. I enjoyed sipping on this for most of the night.

10-27-2013 23:44:39 | More by johnnnniee
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a FFF glass.

A: Have you ever stared at Dark Lord, Darkness, Brunch Weasel, or Black Albert? Enough said.

S: Smelled like Count Chocula cereal, very bright, no roast, lots of sugar... gotta love it!!

T: I got some Dark Lord in there for sure: Sure infused, Darkness was second in this symphony, but as for the other two... the jury is definitely out. No coffee... no roast... Straight up sugary stout.

M: Sweet, for sure, awesomely thick, but NOT a what to my mind. Great lacing, which was slippery... and wet. (insert Bon Jovi joke)

O: Great stuff. I finally decided to try this on solo in fall 2013. It was tough to walk past this in my cellar for so long. Glad it's finally killed.

10-09-2013 03:50:05 | More by Chaney
NewGlarusFan

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured into sifter,

A) Dark, black, used motor oil thickness, One finger head that is milk chocolate in color and leaves no lacing. No light can shine through.

S) Chocolate, dried fig, vanilla, oak, cherry, mocha

T) Chocolate milk, vanilla, coconut, earth, malt balls, very good

M) Thick very small amount of carbonation

O) after aging for two years the flavor complexion has improved and is very very good.

10-07-2013 13:52:14 | More by NewGlarusFan
facundoCNB

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

wow - this is probably the best looking stout i've poured at home. a thick black/dark brown pour, 2 fingers of brown color head, great retention, tons of lacing left behind.
smells of roasted grains, coffee beans, vanilla, cocoa, dirt, brown sugar.
the flavor is all over the place!!! starts off mellow cocoa, slight roasted, then JUMPS to DARK ROAST, bourbon, oak, soy sauce, molasses, and has subtle roasted bitterness (the alcohol makes itself known mid-palate. i really think this beer could have been better if they didn't throw dark lord in there.. it's only character that shows up in here is its worst one - that salty soy sauce flavor. yuck. but, aside from that - this beer is fantastic. i don't understand all the shit reviews, probably just people "tired of the hype". i can't complain - i got this in my very first trade 2 years ago.. traded this and some other excellent beers for off the shelf stuff to someone looking to clean out their cellar. i lucked out. is this beer worth seeking out? probably. i wouldn't trade anything ridiculous for it, but it's a fantastic beer and people should cut the bullshit and just enjoy it for what it is - a ridiculous blend of stouts.

the obvious mouthfeel - full body, low carbonation. thick, sticky, creamy, chalky.

09-25-2013 01:55:42 | More by facundoCNB
SpeedwayJim

3.09/5  rDev -27%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22oz waxed and capped bomber into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a frothy 2 finger mocha colored head with good retention. Beer is thick and pitch black. Lacing is layered with great stick and super thick legs. Awesome looking brew.

Hints of sweet soy sauce, dark fruit, hop bitterness, lactose, roasted malt and just a bit of chocolate and cocoa. Good complexity but its not the most pleasing.

Opens roast, creamy hop bitterness, sweet soy sauce and chocolate. More of the same in the middle but the alcohol kicks in pretty hard. Something just doesn't seem to work here. Sweet molasses diffuses in at the end, mercifully sweetening this one a bit. Bittersweet dark fruit and rotting rind at the end. Aftertaste of smoke, hazelnut shell and molasses. Not really for me.

Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Thick and oily in the mouth and goes down with some bubbles and a big dose of booze. Still a bit hot at the finish after all this time. Messy aftertaste. Decent.

I've heard that this beer is not the greatest but I had to try it for myself. Now I know the rumors are true. This takes all the bad qualities of Darkness (can be too roasty, too hoppy) and Dark Lord (too much soy sauce) and amplifies them into one big mess. A big pass for me.

08-30-2013 02:20:58 | More by SpeedwayJim
Smurf2055

Washington

3.76/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours jet black with two finger head.

Smell is big red fruit, some roast and a subtle chocolate.

Taste is smooth chocolate, very thick, some spice and some heat, good lacing.

I like this a lot better than straight Dark Lord, I think they did a good job with the blending.

08-08-2013 20:24:34 | More by Smurf2055
KickInTheChalice

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%

From notes. From notes. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip.

Baller Stout pours a molasses brown color with a cherry tint and a small tan cap.

The aroma ranges from sweet to bitter, with molasses, dark chocolate, vanilla, figs, raisins, cherries, and a bit of alcohol in the nose.

Each sip has a nice complexity to it as well. The dark chocolate, vanilla, and dark roasted malts all come through first with a sweet molasses presence. The flavor mellows out a little bit, allowing for some fruit notes to come through before mellowing out with a espresso bitterness. A little bit of alcohol coats each sip as well.

The effect of the blending has definitely given this a smooth mouthfeel. There is a slightly sweet and stick beginning, but the sweetness lets up before the sip progresses too far. The carbonation is creamy and smooth. The body ends up on the full side, but not as full as 13.8% would have me believe.

Given that I have had each of these beers previously, it was not a shock that I enjoyed the blend of all four. It does seem like blending them took out some of the defining characteristics of each beer, however, which is unfortunate. It simply cannot be as good with all of the idiosyncrasies blended out.

07-03-2013 06:32:30 | More by KickInTheChalice
PHBoiler

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

Deep, jet black color with a slight brown/almost purplish head. There is some roast, chocolate, and even some hops on the nose with a grassiness almost piney scent. Lots going on in the scent as well as the taste. You get a bit of the hops up front which was amazing given the age on the beer. There are deep roasty flavors of coffee, along with chocolate sweetness, and dark fruits. Limited smokiness which is nice. A definite special occasion beer but the booze is hidden well. It would stand up to a bold cigar. I wish I had more of this one. It was a pleasure.

07-01-2013 04:12:12 | More by PHBoiler
biggred1

Indiana

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dark, chestnut brown with a huge lumpy cocoa head that is firm with different sized bubbles slowly popping into craters on the firm surface. Sheets of sticky lace leaves circles all down the glass. Charred malt, Hershey's syrup, cocoa powder and rum in the nose. Really good flavors of semi-sweet chocolate and cocoa with a bit of roasty, smokey maltiness. Nice and complex, this is drinking well right now, the alcohol is still a little brash but under control. Big and silky smooth with enough carbonation to keep it a little more lively than most of it's ilk. A pretty awesome stout, better than a lot of DL vintages in my estimation. This beer will age well for a while I think, it is starting to hit it's sweet spot.

06-12-2013 01:28:02 | More by biggred1
sleuthdog

4.44/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into FFF teku

Pour: Huge intense black with a khaki two finger head that hung around for a while. After receding to a thick collar, there was a ton of lacing all over the glass. It did not pour out as thick as I was anticipating it would. Alcohol legs of course are visible.

Smell: Roasted goodness all over the place with a bakers chocolate note. Sweetness is evident here in the form of burnt sugar. Some oak and vanilla round out the aroma.

Taste: Well I can say I can tell it is in fact a blend of 4 beers because it does not seem to be integrated well. It is layer upon layer of complexity but yet not blended to hide the base beers into one. Sweetness, molasses is at the front then coffee, roast, chocolate. It ends in an overall bitter finish. Alcohol is evident in a mild burn but not distracting in any way and actually adds to the enjoyment for me.

Mouthfeel: Not the huge thick monster I was expecting but it is the far end of medium to full. Light carbonation and finishes sticky sweet.

Overall: I had high hopes for this beer and I did enjoy the hell out of it's complexity. It is not blended well, IMO but to me this ends up being ok. Not as crazy good as I was hoping but I am enjoying sipping on this one for sure!

06-10-2013 00:09:05 | More by sleuthdog
jaasen64

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle split 4 ways during our Murda'd Out tasting, poured into Lawson's tulip.

A- Pours a dark mahogany brown similar in appearance as Dark Lord except just a tad bit lighter. Very thin creamy mocha head that recedes fairly fast to a still top, minimal carbonation, very light spoty lacing that clings to the side of the glass.

S- Dark chocolate, cocoa, light astringent coffee, dark chocolate. Average aroma strength, fairly sweet smelling but not as sweet as Dark Lord and a little bit of each beer comes out in subtle but fairly balanced presence.

T- Dark chocolate, cocoa, very light fairly astringent espresso, a little bit more bitter then the constituents. Finishes with cocoa powder and astringent coffee. Decent but not as good as any of its counterparts.

M- Medium bodied, fairly drinkable for abv, low carbonation but good for style.

O- This was a decent stout but I think I liked each of the counterparts slightly better. I'm not sure if this will get much better with age. If you like each one of the counterparts this is definitely worth trying, but not worth spending much seeking out.

05-25-2013 01:49:25 | More by jaasen64
mjohnson17

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This bottle is about 18 months old at this point (I believe). Poured into BCBS snifter. I will preface this by saying that I've only had one of the base beers, Darklord, so I'm making some assumptions here.

A: pours jet black with a really nice knaki head of about a finger. Nice larger bubbles floating on top. Can also see some carbonation rise up along the side of the glass, nice uniform bubbles along the rim, big bubbles in the middle. Looks like it has some nice alcohol legs.

S: roast, dark chocolate, sweetness like a burnt brown sugar smell.

T: The is A LOT going on with this beer. It's not a smoothly blended brew but rather the taste of all 4 base beers (Darklord, Darkness, Black Albert, & Beer Geek Brunch) comes through at different times. First it's the sweetness of DL, then a coffee roast of Beer Geek Brunch, then some black licorice (Black Albert?) then roast, charred malt, and a hint of hops (Darkness?). Then afterward it's swallowed the pallet picks up the sweetness again then finally finishes with a dry, roasty lingering

M: Sweet then dry and bold, then roasty, then sweet again then finally finishing on dry. This beer is crazy complex.

O: I really dug this beer. I wish I had all base beers prior to be able to identify which nuances I was picking up, but irregardless you can definitely tell there's a lot going on in this beer as the taste and mouthfeel change multiple times throughout the sip. I can see why some people hate as it's a hard beer to pin down with everything going on but I respect it's complexity and the way it's able to work with all the different stout flavors.

03-30-2013 02:42:18 | More by mjohnson17
herman77

4.41/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Black with a light brown head. Decent lacing and head retention

S: Lots of milk chocolate right off the bat with a little bit of roast. Some menthol or almost fresh citrus smell to it too (on further review, I think it's the booziness). A bit of dark fruits lurking in the background.

T: Starts off a bit sweet, roasty and then some alcohol comes rushing in. After that, a big wave of chocolate and roast comes in. Lots of dark milk chocolate. Finishes with a complex sweetness with dark fruits, coffee and roast. A lot more balanced than I thought it would be since this is a blend of 4 epic beers.

M: Fuller body. Moderate carbonation. A bit creamy.

O: Good drinkability. ABV is really well hidden. I think the age really helped this, can't say for sure since I've never had it fresh, but it seems like the hops have faded a lot and all the beers have really melded together into one. I've only had Darkness, so I can't pick out anything out of this. Glad I got a bottle of this to try.

03-07-2013 01:33:42 | More by herman77
tectactoe

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks to Chris for bringing this one to our tasting - it was something I never thought I'd try. Pours a dark, dark brown color with a fading, tan-colored head that doesn't stick around too long before it recedes to nothing but a thin skin cap.

As I first bring my nose to the glass, I'm getting a weird aroma that was hard for be to pinpoint at first, but upon further sniffing, I've come to the conclusion that it was: beef jerky. That's right, I get some serious beef jerky-like aroma off the top of the nose from this thing. Slightly smokey and robust with maybe a touch of spice. Big roasted malts full out the edges, along with some light cocoa beans. Some woody-oak and vanilla aromas don't come through much until the beer warms up a bit, but then they really start to break through. Light sweetness is detectable, but it's slightly overshadowed by the somewhat harsh roast.

The taste hits bit with some sharp coffee and cocoa - dense and seemingly packed with concentrated flavor. The front end is mildly sweet, but it transforms quickly into a more bitter and roasted flavor as the malts grow from quiet to loud within seconds. No beef jerky on the palate, per se, but I swear I'm still getting it in the aroma. Out comes a light heat, almost like a chili pepper spice, although I really don't "taste" chilies - my tongue is just picking up the tingling sensation as though they are there.

The alcohol is a bit subdued at first but gets much, much stronger over the course of this beer. Sweetness comes in noticeably but tame enough to be enjoyable; molasses, light syrup, and some dark fruits are the main contributors. The aftertaste is dominated by an ashy, charred flavor - perhaps this is where my nose was picking up the beef jerky from? Medium-thick body, slick and a touch oily on the palate coming in on the lower end of the carbonation scale.

Certainly glad I got to try this one, although I don't feel it was all it was cracked up to be. Definitely some uniqueness to it, regarding the smokiness and the serious beef jerky notes my nose was picking up. Is it just me who was getting that? Either way, tasty beer, but probably not worth what it took to get it. Thanks again to Chris, though - I'm glad to say I had the chance to experience this one.

02-25-2013 17:46:47 | More by tectactoe
portia99

4.01/5  rDev -5.2%

22oz waxed bottle poured into a CBS snifter.

A - Pours with a slightly thin appearance and sits in the glass with a very deep and dark brown color. A finger of frothy mocha colored head sits on top with very good staying power. Lots of webby lacing left as the head slowly fades to the surface.

S - Roasty black coffee, thick with dark fruit, booze, mild molasses

T - Lots of chocolate up front, alcohol, estery, bitter hops, cocoa, roasted malts, touch of licorice, sugary sweetness.

M - Thick and syrupy in body with a medium carbonation level. A bit sticky and sweet overall.

O - Without really thinking about it, I pretty much get a little bit from each of the components in the blend - syrupy sweetness from Dark Lord, firm hoppy bitterness from Darkness, rich coffee from the Beer Geek, and a sort of non-descriptness from the Black Albert (which has never really impressed me). Not sure of the percentages of each beer, but they seem to come thru in approximately equal intensity. A rather interesting beer, although I wouldn't call it outstanding. The flavor components fight each other a bit and keep it from establishing its own character.

02-24-2013 18:38:47 | More by portia99
jsulko

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured into a snifter glass

Bottle was purchased at the brewpud at the one year mark. I have had it since then.

Beer pours a very dark black with a thick chocolate colored head that faded somewhat quickly.

Smell is sweet with slight coffee and chocolate smells. Roastyness also in there.

Taste is coffee with a chocolate sweetness hidden in there. Slight alcohol presence in the finish. Hoppy bitterness also comes peaking through a bit on the back end.

A powerhouse stout that has appeared to age well. Would be interesting to try all the base beers but this one has come up a winnter for me.

02-11-2013 04:11:02 | More by jsulko
mhksuccess

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pour from a 22oz bottle into a snifter glass
very dark little head but not totally nothing i would say just light head
i love the label on the bottle
smell is boozy and sweet
taste i get chocolate, coffee, malty, cocoa
very smooth for such high abv
i little bit sweet probably due to the dark lord
heard other say it is hoppy from the darkness but i did not get this at all
overall an excellent brew i would definitely drink again

02-03-2013 18:54:53 | More by mhksuccess
vic21234

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber poured into a snifter. Decided to crack this one open from my cellar for my birthday tomorrow. Hopefully it's worth it.

A- Pours pitch black as expected. A solid 1.5 fingers worth of a khaki colored head forms, slowly fading to a nice froth along the top and sides of the glass.

S- Aromas of coffee and chocolate are most notable for me. I also get an overall sweetness in the smell also.

T- Quite a bit going on with the taste. Initially the chocolate and sweet malts come through. I get some notes of coffee/ espresso coupled in also. The backend of the taste leaves a surprising hop presence. Some alcohol is apparent in there as well but not overwhelming.

M- Heavy, well, carbonated, smooth with some surprising hops. Alcohol is apparent but drinks nice for nearly 14% ABV.

The only base I've had from this beer on its own is Dark Lord. I get alot of the sweetness that DL portrays. I am also aware that Darkness is rather hoppy and I get that in this one too. A nice beer from FFF.

01-28-2013 01:26:34 | More by vic21234
Rifugium

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I got this bottle as a birthday present from MsRif last year, and I decided to share it at Stone Soup.

Dark brown-black pour, with a thick tan collar for a head; some retention and lacing. Aroma of dark malts, chocolate, coffee, slightly roasty...probably closer to Dark Lord than anything. The taste was surprisingly nice and unique, lacking the heat and sweetness of DL and lacking the roasty bitterness of BGB and BA. I think the blend really hit a good balance here. Dark malts, dark chocolate, some dark fruit essence, roasty coffee notes. This was the only time I've had this beer, but if this wasn't the sweet spot, then I don't want to know what was (or will be). Smooth mouthfeel, full body, lower carbonation, and extremely well-hidden alcohol. It's a shame I won't ever have this again, but it was nice while it lasted. Thanks, biddy!

01-26-2013 22:57:22 | More by Rifugium
siradmiralnelson

Iowa

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Cracked this open to celebrate 2013. 22oz bomber poured into Globe glass.

A. Pours 2 finger dark tan colored head. Thick head. Thick lacing. Good retention. Color is jet black.

S. Quite a bit of big stout aromas going on. Hops, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, molasses. I have had Darkness, Beer Geek Brunch, and Black Albert. Not sure that I can pick each one's aroma out individually, or that I can get the Dark Lord. Has some belgian yeast and mustiness that works pretty well. Not much alcohol heat present at all.

T. Pretty smooth. Was expecting some heat, but there isnt much. Roasted malt, molasses, milk chocolate, a bit of hop bitterness is still evident. Get some earthy oak flavors, that are somewhat muted. Actually find it to be pretty well balanced between the 4 beers. I do pick up the Belgian qualities of the Black Albert, and Beer Geek. Pretty smooth and ABV is well hidden.

M. Not as thick as I would have like. Medium/Full is how I would describe it. Medium carbonation. Finishes with a bit of sweetness.

O. The question I had going into this beer was whether the sum of the 4 beers would be greater than any one beer by itself. I am not sure that they are. I think I would prefer Darkness and Beer Geek Brunch over Baller Stout. It might be an improvement over Black Albert. I would have to disagree with the word on the street that this beer is a hot mess, maybe it was when first released but on 1/1/13 pretty damn good.

01-01-2013 22:16:09 | More by siradmiralnelson
writerLJBerg

Oregon

3.13/5  rDev -26%

Back log rating, reviewed from notes.

22oz bottle courtesy of LoPo87. Thanks!

A: Pitch black with a thin lacing and great legs.

N: Pepper, chocolate, burnt brown sugar, black licorice, and smoke.

T: Hops, chocolate, definite bitterness. SMoke, plenty of overly roasted coffee.

M: Not as thick and oily as I'd expect; rather it maintains a pretty thin feel. Very alcoholic, though, and it is a distraction.

O: This isn't awful, but neither is it remarkable or great. Not complex, nor drinkable, and as such, it's deserving of a pass.

12-31-2012 22:04:58 | More by writerLJBerg
xnicknj

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

22oz bottle poured into taster - thanks rob

Pours an inky blackness, think and viscous with barely any head or lacing.

An intense assortment of scents in the nose with hoppy bitterness, sweet chocolate, roasted coffee beans and dark malts. Boozy warmth, dark fruit and vanilla.

Having tasted all of the base beers numerous times, this is a borderline insane combination of flavors. Robust and earthy with a hoppy snap up front, followed by waves of chocolate, coffee, vanilla and dark fruit. Touches of candied raisins supported by a thick, heavy dark malt backbone. Roasty and warm with an upfront boozy finish.

Fullest of full bodied, decent carbonation, sticky and heavy on the tongue. I, as many others did, wanted to really enjoy this but it's almost just too much. The $30 price point really doesn't help either.

12-26-2012 13:48:58 | More by xnicknj