1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Baller Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Baller StoutBaller Stout

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Three Floyd’s 15th Anniversary beer.
A blend of Dark Lord, Surly Darkness, De Struise Black Albert, and Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch.
(All beers brewed at 3 Floyds)

(Beer added by: AleWatcher on 11-12-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 559 | Reviews: 125 | Show All Ratings:
Casedogg43

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

What a collab and blend this is. Had it on tap at XV and a few bottles since the event.

Appearance is typical of a nice stout

Smell: chocolate, coffee and some fruits too. Intereting and someone captivating smell. Makes we look forward to opening another bottle to visit the aroma again.

Taste: I LOVE it. espresso, coffee, Chocolate and malt. Mix in some fruits mid way though with a hint of alcohol to swirl. It has a palate full! I am a big fan of the port wine taste that finishes.

Mouthfeel: Full to say the least. smooth and warming.

Overall: I really enjoy this beer. I picked up more at DLD and an trying my best to have 1 per month!
This is a complex stout, and I'm not sure I have it figured out yet. Matter of fact, no way do I. And I can't wait to give it another try!

What a BEER!!!

05-12-2012 14:11:23 | More by Casedogg43
phisigben

Kentucky

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Served at FFF XV

Super pitch black beer with a nice moca/dark tan colored head. The nose has huge coffee, chocolate, some smoke/roasted malt, and a hint of hops. Right off the bat there is a sweetness then some hops comes in to balance it out. There is a really nice roasted quality, along with coffee and chocolate. The one off putting thing is the Belgium yeast flavor, I personally am not a fan of Belgium yeast in a RIS so that knocks the score down a little. Good mouthfeel it is surprisingly on the thinner side than I expected but not in a bad way, good amount of carbonation. This was a very good beer, but not a great beer I had higher hopes for this but all in all this is worth seeking out.

12-29-2011 19:33:36 | More by phisigben
SpdKilz

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Enjoyed on tap at the Three Floyd’s Anniversary Party.

Appearance – Given in a nice plastic cup, heh. A dark, black colored beer with a decent brown fluffy head that dissipates slowly leaving chunky lacing.

Smell – Lots of sweet aromas, toasted and roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate. Not much coffee sadly, and a bit of alcohol. Just a hint of hops.

Taste – A nice hop kick up front which takes away some of the relative sweetness. A decent amount of char and roasted malts mixed with an unmistakable Dark Lord sweetness. As with the nose, not much coffee characteristics. Milk chocolate, a hint of dark fruits and licorice.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, a bit thick and creamy, nice carbonation.

Overall – A decent beer, though honestly it didn’t blow me away. Enjoyable, but one I will have to revisit in the near future.

12-08-2011 01:34:20 | More by SpdKilz
jmarsh123

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

On tap at the FFF Anny Party.

Pours very dark with a faint tan head that dissipates quickly. Tons of sticky brown lacing even down the plastic cup especially once it warms a bit. Not quite as much as DL, but still sludgy.

Aroma definitely has some assertive hops from the Darkness I'm guessing. Light coffee, chocolate and dark fruits are in the background as well. Slightly boozy.

Definitely a big hop kick up front. A little bit of sweetness comes through in the end and it finishes with a roast coffee flavor. Hops are still present throughout.

Silky, but not cloying like fresh DL. Lowish carbonation levels and medium-thick mouthfeel.

I've only had 3 of the beers in here, but for the most part there seems to be a good balance and it's actually pleasant fresh unlike normal DL. Not as good as Darkness though. I am very much looking forward to aging this one as I'm curious what complexities will come out once the hops fade. If it's anything like '08 DL or '10 Darkness when aged, it will age beautifully.

11-22-2011 14:25:59 | More by jmarsh123
fiver29

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at 3 Floyd’s Anniversary party. This beauty was poured nicely into what looked like I’d say a 10 oz or so plastic cup. Now that’s what I call baller. The beer itself was pitch oil black with a tan head. Aroma had espresso, dark chocolate, dark roasted malts, and a touch of molasses/brown sugar hops. This stuff is pretty thick. The mouthfeel seems real heavy on this one with light carbonation. Taste pretty much followed the nose. It seemed Dark Lord forward while melding in some notes from its other parts. I am curious if this was brewed all at once or blended. On one hand I could see this being brewed at once because it finishes so smooth. On the other hand it seemed like the parts that made up the whole were thrown in their and it was noticeable in the middle. Up front had all the other flavors I noticed in the nose. Overall I enjoyed this and think it will age in a year or 2 nicely.

11-20-2011 05:53:24 | More by fiver29
Nachojon

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%

Had on tap at FFF XV. One of two beers I managed to take notes on before my day got out of hand.

A- It was poured into a plastic cup. Shared a couple pours before grabbing one all to myself. Black beer, thick brown head that held on for dear life to that plastic.

S- Chocolate, coffee, and hops. This thing smelled pretty good.

T- Great flavor profile, the blend of beers made it a flavor monster, so much going on, all of it good. Starts with surprising hops before the chocolate, coffee malts and then a bit of alcohol near the end. Delicious.

M- A lot lighter than expected. But I liked how smooth it was, a little more carbonation than I thought. Crisp.

O- With all the hype this beer was bound to disappoint. But it didn't. It is really a great beer and considering the risk they took in making it I was happy camper drinking it on tap and taking home my bottles.

11-17-2011 02:24:28 | More by Nachojon
Treebs

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

Sample had the FFF Anniversary Party. Served in a plastic sampling cup.

A: Very dark black with a tan head. Splotchy lace is left down the cup.

S: Sweetness with toasted malts and some chocolate fill the nose. Nothing special.

T: Taste is much more complex than the nose. Roasted malts, dark chocolate. Slight bitter coffee grounds with some nice dark fruits (figs and dates mostly). There is a little booze on the backend with a touch of heat.

M: Heavy bodied with a viscous coating quality to it. Good carbonation.

O: Tasted like a blend of Darkness and Dark Lord. I haven't had Black Albert, but I can't imagine it added anything substantial to this. It tasted good, but it wasn't mind blowing.

11-14-2011 18:05:08 | More by Treebs
AgentZero

3.55/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Black beer, very viscous looking, with a nice brown head that left a lot of stick on the sides.

S - Very sweet smelling with some fruity yeast. I actually get more Black Albert with a bit of Dark Lord than any of the other beers (maybe 2010 Darkness-like aroma). Wish there was more Brunch Weasel.

T - A lot of milk chocolate, dark malts, and fruity yeast. It's quite sweet, without any super complex characteristics. A bit of black licorice as well, which is nice only because it breaks up a bit of the sweetness. Not great, but it's not a bad beer.

M - Not super thick, but still heavier side of medium. Smooth, decent carbonation.

O - Not a great beer, not a horrible beer. There's several of the beers added together I prefer alone. Fun collaboration, but results were merely whelming.

Note: If I had a suggestion for FFF in producing an anniversary beer like this I would have went BALLS OUT to turn up the quality a notch. First I would have hired a professional blender to figure out what ratio to put these together in, much like Firestone Walker does with theirs. Secondly, I might have considered aging the result on some bourbon (cause we all love -bals) or perhaps a special other spirit barrel so we can look forward to stages of cooling off and added complexity. But even without that, would have definitely done the blender, as I would have like certain other flavors to stand out and some to be complimentary.

11-14-2011 17:23:11 | More by AgentZero
Donerik

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

I got a full sized glass of this at 3F anniversary. Sampled from my eligant plastic cup over about an hour.

A: Perfect, black with a nice head. It's amazing what force carbonation does to a stout. It looked right. A nice thick black beer with a brown hed that melts into a brown cap, then a brown ring. So thick it coats the glass.

S: Rich, Malty, Goodness. I'd say the scent was richer than roasty. the beer is sweet although not cloying and that comes through in the aroma

T: Good, not a let down my any stretch, it combined what I liked about each beer that went into it without being too cloying, or too hoppy, or having too much coffee. I think this will be a 5.0 with some age. I have 3 bottles so we'll see.

M: Silky, sticky, but not cloying. Some RIS (darklord) are absolutly thick, some RIS are too thin. This was just right.

O: Greater than the sum of it's parts. I like all of the beers but they take some love to love them. Darkness is a bit too hoppy when it's young that mellows into an extraordinary beer, Darklord is supremely thick, I love about 4 oz of it...comes in 22 oz bottles...BGB is a classic mikkeller beer, a touch off, hard to quantify. This beer beats them all, one of a kind.

11-14-2011 14:11:16 | More by Donerik
HosP

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Had several glasses of this on tap at the anniversary party.

Pours jet black just as you would imagine this beer to look. Dark khaki head that leaves a nice coat of residual lace on the glass. Wasn't as much to the nose as I would have imagined. Some chocolate and coffee notes throughout. A little bit of hop aroma mixed in the background.

The taste made up for the lack of nose though. Taste was on the sweeter side up front. Had roasted coffee, chocolate flavors mostly throughout. Like the nose, some bitterness at the end. Very slight bitter chocolate flavor to end the beer. Throughout the beer background had some dark fruit flavors. Full body with a little more carbonation than would have liked. Not to thick, maybe a little thinner than dark lord.

Very easy to drink beer, one the easiest I've had. Very smooth with the flavors blending very well. Did this live up to the hype? I think it does! I haven't drank as many high rated beers as others, but easily one of the best beers I've had.

11-14-2011 04:09:25 | More by HosP
tjshippen

Wisconsin

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%

A Dark black with very thin layer of a dark tan head

S Rich coffee and chocolate smell with a hint of aromatic hops

T three stages of taste starting with a darkness style hoppiness directly followed by a bold rich fruit and coffee finishing with an oaky aged finish

M looks heavier than it sits in ones mouth very liquidy and thin

O Great beer extremely well balanced high abv beer. Must try if you can get your hands on it

11-14-2011 00:38:38 | More by tjshippen
ChiHophead13

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Had both on tap at the brewpub and from a bomber bottle while in line for the FFF XV anniversary party.

A - jet black with a thin mocha head. A lot of thick lacing and solid retention which you would expect from the collaborating inputs.

S - huge rich notes of chocolate, caramel and bread. Coffee on the nose quickly gives way to more prominent and lingering tones of black licorice and peaty/mossy hops.

T - explosion of bitter chocolate, dark fruit, and espresso on the tongue. A little boozy but not unbalanced, just big. Dark cherry and oak give it balance and sweeten up the presence of the alcohol.

M - surprisingly thin, I was anticipating this beer to be very viscous given the Darkness and Dark Lord inputs. I wanted it to be a little richer.

0 - overall it's hard to criticize this beer. I'm not sure the sum of its parts is noticeably better than DL, Darkness, or Beer Geek Brunch are on their own but this is an exceptional RIS. I can't wait to open another bottle next Thanksgiving.

11-13-2011 22:26:48 | More by ChiHophead13
beerhan

4.78/5  rDev +13%

Had on tap at FFF XV party.

A-super thick and syrupy. Black as night with a dark brown head

S-smells very chocolatey with hints of caramel and espresso. There are also hints of dark fruit probably from the dark lord.

T-the taste of this bad boy blows all of the base beers away. This behemoth is one of the tastiest things I have ever had. It has the thickness of dark lord with the coffee abd dark fruits, mostly plum and raisin shining through. A little smokiness from darkness with a strong espresso taste from the brunch weasel. I do not know how but somehow this combo was phenomenal.

M-mild carb ok nation, super smooth, alcohol is hardly noticeable.

O-great beer that I was very skeptical of but it delivered. Seek it out as I have never such a strong beer quite as smooth abd still delicious as this.

11-13-2011 18:16:35 | More by beerhan
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap 3 times in pub at Anniversary party... Served in a small 6oz glass I believe it was.

A- Black, but not thick and motor oil looking. Great lacing, but a small cm head. Looks a little bubbly.

S- Fruity and full of berries! Floral hops mix with the roast on the middle of the nose rounded out with a bit of coffee. Surprising the aroma is actually a bit faint.

T/M- Full of chocolate and coffee/espresso upfront. The raisins and dark fruits come through on the finish. Has some heat on the finish as well, but it is incredibly smooth- dark chocolate cherry cordials. Bitter as fuck from the roast and earthy hops, yet sweet enough from the chocolate and fruits to really balance. Moderate, not quite full body with creamy feel and tingly carbonation.

O- Not completely hype, I thought this was pretty wonderful. $30 is steep for any beer, but I don't regret purchasing it. I am a little concerned on what time will do to this because it is so coffee forward and the body is not as heavy as I thought... Really wish I could give a 4.25 here as I think 4 is too low but 4.5 may be an overstatement?

11-13-2011 15:14:05 | More by TheGordianKnot
Jparkanzky

3.35/5  rDev -20.8%

On tap in the brew pub.

Picked up my and my wife's allotment (also drank a BA Owd Engwish in the brew-pub.... WOW that's good.... got a bottle of that too, and can't wait to open it)

It's rather thin.... not very boozy which is good. It certainly has nice mocha/chocolate notes once it warms up a bit.

It's fairly carbonated with a touch of hops to it.

Overall, despite not being able to try each piece of the puzzle, I'd venture to say it's not as good as the sum of it's parts.

11-13-2011 04:36:39 | More by Jparkanzky
TrueRates

Kentucky

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

Very dark looking imperial stout with a mocha like head. Aromas of coffee, chocolate, slight licorice, and burnt malt. Full bodied flavor with a brilliant hop character to the beer. Extremely well balanced. Hides it's alcohol well. I think I like this more than Dark Lord. Just overall a balanced imperial stout.

11-13-2011 02:42:24 | More by TrueRates
Adamostella

Washington

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The silkiness of darkness mated with the oomph of Dark lord.

Jet black, very little head. Like looking into the abyss (no pun indentded)

It is like a metamorphosis with every sip.

Hoppy, yet wearing a velvet glove. This was a real treat.

As they say "too many chefs" however this libation is the exception to the rule, if you can get your hands on it!

11-12-2011 21:48:05 | More by Adamostella
aasher

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

This one arrived a jet black in color with a one finger beige head. The nose is roasted malts, a lot of coffee bitterness, sweet chocolates, milk chocolate, and more malt. The flavor is very coffee forward, very. It's medium in body and features a lot of roasted malt, as it should, a good amount of coffee, hoppy bitterness, and more roast. It's not overly complex bit it's complex enough. The Mikkeller shines through. The Weasel is all over this one. It's very drinkable because the coffee is so prevalent, and I love coffee. You'd never guess that this beer is 13.8%. Overall this is a nice beer and very drinkable, but rating it above an A- is tough.

11-12-2011 20:49:38 | More by aasher
AleWatcher

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

Collab between FFF, Surly, mikeller, and De Struisse....

On tap in the brewpub.

Dark brown color, some dark reddish tan hues in the edges and pegs. Small half finger head. Nice thick lacing and good retention

Smells of chocolate, caramel, some light fruity notes (thanks to darkness?).
Taste is about the same-- sweet and roasty malts hit up front. Decent coffee bite to boot. A slightly strange finish holds a lingering dryness.
Feel is quite a bit thinner than I expected-- pretty medium in terms of body. A bit too much carbonation.
Overall-- not bad... But didn't live up to the expectation. The booziness is well-hidden-- that is, until it warms up. A bit of alcohol comes through towards the end of the glass.

11-12-2011 20:00:57 | More by AleWatcher
Stevedore

Wisconsin

3.91/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

22oz yellow-wax bottle, generously bought over by Doug tonight at our celebratory whale tasting. Poured into a Three Floyds teku glass today, 3/22/2014.

App- Dark opaque black body, with a beautiful tan head, one finger, with very good retention. When Doug opened this up, it was pretty much a gusher and made a mess. So, this is a well carbonated looking stout here.

Smell- Charred malts, roast malts, dark fruit, with that characteristic Black Albert charred dark fruit flavour with a touch of Belgian yeast. Very interesting, but at the same time, not the most pleasant nose that I can get from any imperial stout.

Flavour- Meh. After drinking this with Murda'd Out, the best I can say about this beer is that it's sweet with a nice roasted and charred malt character with a touch of Belgian yeast. If I had to pick the two most forward constituents, I'll go with Darkness and Black Albert. Because I don't have any of that Dark Lord soy sauce diabeetus sweetness here. Decent, but nothing that I'd call well-crafted as the components kind of clash.

Mouthfeel- Fuller bodied, good carbonation. Aftertaste of dirty water mixed with chocolate milk. I don't like that aftertaste very much.

Overall- A fine blend of stouts, definitely deserves its reputation of being a pretty lame stout next to its superior barrel-aged sibling, Murda'd Out Stout, but most good beers would also be lame next to Murda'd Out Stout. Not worth paying $30 for this. Still, it's certainly not a bad beer.

03-23-2014 06:04:56 | More by Stevedore
inlimbo77

Delaware

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz, 2011 anniversary release
DFH signature glass

A: Pitch black in color. Thin film of light tan head. Lacing bits. Some alcohol feet. Well carbonated still.

S: Dark chocolate. Dark cherry and fruit. Really malt forward. Doesn't smell boozy.

T: Bitter dark chocolate. Oxidized a touch. Dark fruit. Cherry. Sweet malt. Good flavors.

M: Full bodied. Thinner than expected.

12-05-2013 16:26:30 | More by inlimbo77
gueuzedreg

Colorado

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

650ml bottle into a CS snifter.

A- Non transparent deep chocolate/black. Medium lacing. Half-finger lacing. Retention is long-lasting.

S- I think this is the shining aspect of this brew. The smell is glorius. Perhaps the Mikkeller shinning through. Rich raisin, dark fruit, chocolate and then coffee in the background.

T- RIS dark fruit forward. I normally don't like this recipe, however this works great for me. I know that many have given more negative reviews on this beer, but I think this is a very drinkable brew. I am very happy to try it. Now, I can't wait to try the BA version of it! (the only beer that I have had of the three is DL) This beer has a lot of anise in it.

M- Has a thick mouthfeel for RIS. Chewy, delicious thick RIS. Love it. I really want to try Darkness now.

O- I was surprised with this beer; thinking that I was giving up too much to get it. I am very pleased with what I tasted for a non-BA RIS. Maybe top 5 for non-BA RIS.

11-22-2013 00:10:00 | More by gueuzedreg
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.01/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle from MeadMe, thank you so much for the opportunity!
Pours a solid black color with a huge tan head that persists forever. Aromas of dark fruit with a hint of lactic, roast, chocolate, molasses, brown sugar, caramel, and earth. The flavor is big and sweet with lots of brown sugar and caramel. Bits of dark chocolate, smoke, dark fruits, and earth. Thick viscous body with a low level of carbonation and a thick syrupy creamy mouthfeel. This is one big thick sweet and sticky stout. I enjoyed sipping on this for most of the night.

10-27-2013 23:44:39 | More by johnnnniee
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a FFF glass.

A: Have you ever stared at Dark Lord, Darkness, Brunch Weasel, or Black Albert? Enough said.

S: Smelled like Count Chocula cereal, very bright, no roast, lots of sugar... gotta love it!!

T: I got some Dark Lord in there for sure: Sure infused, Darkness was second in this symphony, but as for the other two... the jury is definitely out. No coffee... no roast... Straight up sugary stout.

M: Sweet, for sure, awesomely thick, but NOT a what to my mind. Great lacing, which was slippery... and wet. (insert Bon Jovi joke)

O: Great stuff. I finally decided to try this on solo in fall 2013. It was tough to walk past this in my cellar for so long. Glad it's finally killed.

10-09-2013 03:50:05 | More by Chaney
NewGlarusFan

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured into sifter,

A) Dark, black, used motor oil thickness, One finger head that is milk chocolate in color and leaves no lacing. No light can shine through.

S) Chocolate, dried fig, vanilla, oak, cherry, mocha

T) Chocolate milk, vanilla, coconut, earth, malt balls, very good

M) Thick very small amount of carbonation

O) after aging for two years the flavor complexion has improved and is very very good.

10-07-2013 13:52:14 | More by NewGlarusFan