Baller Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Baller StoutBaller Stout

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Three Floyds’ 15th Anniversary beer. A blend of Dark Lord, Surly Darkness, De Struise Black Albert, and Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch.

(Beer added by: AleWatcher on 11-12-2011)

Lukafer, Nov 15, 2011

TheDudeRules, Nov 15, 2011

cetherid, Nov 15, 2011

rudylaw, Nov 15, 2011

msgraves, Nov 15, 2011

todisht, Nov 15, 2011

phishisphunk, Nov 15, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a Founders snifter at about 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

A - Pours fairly dark, nice tan head that dissipates into a little more than a thin lacing. Sticks to the sides a little bit. Looks pretty good overall. Actually sticks very well after it warms up.

S - Hops, dark malts and some light coffee. I think I got some hoppy aromas immediately, then found the mats/coffee as I went in for a good whiff. I am almost getting a little bit of alcohol coming through. I'm finding the Darkness/Albert/Brunch here more than any DL. Could definitely be more potent.

T - Slightly hop forward, with the dark fruits and coffee to follow. It ends with the coffee, which takes on a little bit of sweetness. I think I would best define the after-flavor as a hoppy coffee. Very interesting. There is an ever so slight amount of hotness to be found towards the end. I think the Darkness shows up first, then the Black Albert comes through in the middle. Dark Lord and Brunch show up in the back half and finish.

M - Medium, smooth, decently carbonated body. Feels fine to me, carries everything well. I think it falls a little short of truly being "silky".

O - I had some of this a couple times on-tap and was less impressed. It was, of course, served too cold and there was too much to try to instead wait for it to warm up properly. Certainly a better beer out of the bottle and I think things will really be nice in another 2 years. I think this will age more like Darkness than Dark Lord, which for me is a good thing. This literally falls right in the middle of my preferences of the non-blended versions. I'd really like to see the breakdown of this blend. A little bit of time in a PvW barrel would make this insanely good. I guess that's assumed though.

claaark13, Nov 15, 2011

MarkIntihar, Nov 14, 2011

monitorpop, Nov 14, 2011

surlytheduff, Nov 14, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -8%

Sample had the FFF Anniversary Party. Served in a plastic sampling cup.

A: Very dark black with a tan head. Splotchy lace is left down the cup.

S: Sweetness with toasted malts and some chocolate fill the nose. Nothing special.

T: Taste is much more complex than the nose. Roasted malts, dark chocolate. Slight bitter coffee grounds with some nice dark fruits (figs and dates mostly). There is a little booze on the backend with a touch of heat.

M: Heavy bodied with a viscous coating quality to it. Good carbonation.

O: Tasted like a blend of Darkness and Dark Lord. I haven't had Black Albert, but I can't imagine it added anything substantial to this. It tasted good, but it wasn't mind blowing.

Treebs, Nov 14, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

cosmonick, Nov 14, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Black beer, very viscous looking, with a nice brown head that left a lot of stick on the sides.

S - Very sweet smelling with some fruity yeast. I actually get more Black Albert with a bit of Dark Lord than any of the other beers (maybe 2010 Darkness-like aroma). Wish there was more Brunch Weasel.

T - A lot of milk chocolate, dark malts, and fruity yeast. It's quite sweet, without any super complex characteristics. A bit of black licorice as well, which is nice only because it breaks up a bit of the sweetness. Not great, but it's not a bad beer.

M - Not super thick, but still heavier side of medium. Smooth, decent carbonation.

O - Not a great beer, not a horrible beer. There's several of the beers added together I prefer alone. Fun collaboration, but results were merely whelming.

Note: If I had a suggestion for FFF in producing an anniversary beer like this I would have went BALLS OUT to turn up the quality a notch. First I would have hired a professional blender to figure out what ratio to put these together in, much like Firestone Walker does with theirs. Secondly, I might have considered aging the result on some bourbon (cause we all love -bals) or perhaps a special other spirit barrel so we can look forward to stages of cooling off and added complexity. But even without that, would have definitely done the blender, as I would have like certain other flavors to stand out and some to be complimentary.

AgentZero, Nov 14, 2011