Baller Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

pDev: 12%
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.80% ABV

Three Floyds’ 15th Anniversary beer. A blend of Dark Lord, Surly Darkness, De Struise Black Albert, and Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch.

(Beer added by: AleWatcher on 11-12-2011)

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a Founders snifter at about 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

A - Pours fairly dark, nice tan head that dissipates into a little more than a thin lacing. Sticks to the sides a little bit. Looks pretty good overall. Actually sticks very well after it warms up.

S - Hops, dark malts and some light coffee. I think I got some hoppy aromas immediately, then found the mats/coffee as I went in for a good whiff. I am almost getting a little bit of alcohol coming through. I'm finding the Darkness/Albert/Brunch here more than any DL. Could definitely be more potent.

T - Slightly hop forward, with the dark fruits and coffee to follow. It ends with the coffee, which takes on a little bit of sweetness. I think I would best define the after-flavor as a hoppy coffee. Very interesting. There is an ever so slight amount of hotness to be found towards the end. I think the Darkness shows up first, then the Black Albert comes through in the middle. Dark Lord and Brunch show up in the back half and finish.

M - Medium, smooth, decently carbonated body. Feels fine to me, carries everything well. I think it falls a little short of truly being "silky".

O - I had some of this a couple times on-tap and was less impressed. It was, of course, served too cold and there was too much to try to instead wait for it to warm up properly. Certainly a better beer out of the bottle and I think things will really be nice in another 2 years. I think this will age more like Darkness than Dark Lord, which for me is a good thing. This literally falls right in the middle of my preferences of the non-blended versions. I'd really like to see the breakdown of this blend. A little bit of time in a PvW barrel would make this insanely good. I guess that's assumed though.

Baller Stout from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub