Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Maroon wax = 2015 15% ABV
Reviews: 1,219 | Hads: 3,962

Appearance – This one is interesting even before you pour it. Hold a flashlight up to the cool-looking artisan bottle and you will see mounds of sediment. It looks like there’s more sediment in there than beer.

Watch it again as you pour it from the bottle. It really does ooze instead of flow. I have to go back through my other reviews and delete any reference to “motor oil” after seeing this stuff come out of the bottle.

This 13.00% ABV monster actually brought along a great head. The head is so darkly browned it’s almost black itself. This truly is the “Dark Lord.”

Smell – I can’t even think of any way to describe this without sounding like I’m exaggerating. The malts are burnt, there are about eight different scents of coffee and espresso styles in there, and the fruits are enormous. Every dark fruit I’ve ever had is in this nose. The alcohol is there but in a really good sort of way. Think Kettle One.

Taste – The flavors are like a crowd of people at a pub each one calling for the bartender’s attention. I can hear some screaming, “Coffee, espresso,” and others calling out for, “Dark, heavily roasted and burnt malts.” The “fruit table” in the back room is really getting rowdy.

If I had to focus on one “group” of flavors it would have to be the fruits. They are giant, hybrid fruits that have genetically mutated into unnatural monsters. The cherries and apricots are like giant boulders avalanching down a mountainside. The dates are bigger than a Boeing 747. All of these giant fruits are covered in a chocolate mudslide of historic proportions (think, cheesy 1970s “The Blob” movies).

Mouthfeel – This really does cause one to pause and reassess one’s definition of a “full-bodied” beer. Do I have to go back and change all the other “big beers” I’ve had to “medium?” It’s almost as if they made a thick stout then reduced it down in a saucepan.

This redefines smooth. It just oozes along your teeth and gums. It’s like a really good, sexy, juicy French kiss. Think, “Making out with Pamela Anderson after she just ate a box of Belgian chocolates.” If this beer had a finger sticking out the side of the bottle I’d put a wedding ring on it.

Drinkability – I don’t think it would be accurate to say that it, “masks” the alcohol, because there’s no question when drinking this that it’s got a high ABV. The alcohol is just so good, like really good, high-quality vodka. You know it’s booze, but it goes down like water.

I can sincerely say, without sounding too over-the-top, that this is smoother than water. It is just that good. This is so far above any other Stout that I’ve had it’s a shame that I can’t give it anything higher than all 5’s.

Comments – The most unbelievable part of this story is that the bottle wasn’t even mine. Skyhand was incredible enough to split it with me. Now THAT has to be the ultimate BA sharing experience. I’d push my mama down a flight of stairs if she tried to take a sip of my Dark Lord.

Update – Yes, skyhand was kind enough to share with me a 2005 just after release. It gave us an opportunity to evaluate this amazing beer at a young age.

At this stage, the bitterness was much stronger and the flavors a little less blended together. I think for 2005 they also changed the filtering process because this bottle lacked sediment of any kind.

Overall, is it still a perfect 5.0? Yes, indeedee, it certainly is. This is the pinnacle of the ADS style and stands apart from the crowd like Tiger Woods at a child’s Putt-Putt golf park.

What can be added about this one? Sampled at the Blind Tiger thanks to Mike/eyedrinkale. Pours coal Black with a creamy darkest of tans head. Creamy, rich and milkshake like in mouthfeel. Loads of flavor bursting onto the palate. Coffee, chocolate, raisins, figs, burnt fruits. Complex, bold, flavorful...simply world class....wonderfully dark, thick and sludgy. Wish I could get my hands on more of this stuff!

i was going to wait on a promotion to try this, but ah well, theres always Abacus! I know there are the critics, but this was the best stout I've ever had. Review of the 2010 version, brought to you (me) by bringthebail, and 2011 version, brought to you (me again) by Barwfin. 2010 has HUGE bourbon and coffee notes, 2011 not so huge notes. 2010 big bourbon and malt flavors, plus tons of coffee and a bit of chocolate. 2011 was almost more drinkable, yet not quite as good version but, more coffee in the 2010 and I swear there was banana in the 2011. Both were fabulous, smooth, lightly carbonated, and just downright awesome in mouthfeel. Best beer I've ever had. Lives up to the hype for sure. 2010 was different than 2011, neither was better, just different. No trace of the alcohol content in either version. Both were awesome in there own way. 2010 was more pronounced in flavors. My favorite beer at this point in my life.

Edit: Everybody seems to say "Alcohol" taste, but I swear it was bourbon. It doesn't say bourbon aged, but it's in there.

Had the 2012 dark lord red wax bottle. It was the first time I'd had a Russian imperial stout, and I wish I could have it more often than 4 per year. I agree with a lot I reviews on this beer. It does have a motor oil consistency going down. It is dark as night with a light head and carbonation. Tastes like cofffee , chocolate, and the alcohol content is very well hidden. I live 40 minute from the brewery and am currently moving to California. I will definitely be flying back next year for my 4 beer allotment.

2010 bottle consumed June 2015. Not sure how this one is fresh, but with 5 years in the bottle, this beer was chocolate goodness in a bottle. Unbelievable how much it held up over time.

Another one of those beers from Three Floyd's "It's not normal", well when I heard about this 13% Imperial Russian Stout I thought to myself that's not normal. Well, here we are about to break through the layer of red triple dipped wax to break the seal of the beastly brew. The bottle depicts in comic book fashion a demon possessed viking crushing skulls and what not, but either way I'm guessing he's the Dark Lord. Let's see what he has to offer my senses. Appearance on this one goes as follows, in the pour this maybe the thickest textured brew I have ever poured the addition of molasses may have something to do with that. Color spectrum yep it's dark simply engulfs all visible light waves leaves behind a resilient line of thin moccha tan head that with my first sip starts to leave trickles of lace. Aromatics contained in this nectar are deep thunderous colliding waves dark chocolate, wine like fruit notes arising from the trenches of this beer, along with an espresso barrel aged like finish hop presence is evident and as it warms this is even more so for 13%abv it's not burning any nose hairs, which is a good thing. If nothing else about this beer grabs ahold of you, the flavor is sure to. Massive unparalleled possibly brings another style about redefining the Imperial Stout category for me, brings huge staggering amount of slightly burnt dark roasted malts to the palate the molasses is evident with alcohol infused fruit namingly tart cherry notes screaming out while blending perfectly in this orgy of flavor. A definite strong coffe presence is welcoming and eye opening at the same time, just burped up a load of hops bringing about another wonderful aspect of this beer. Three Floyd's have done it again the Dreadnaught stands as my favorite Imperial IPA this may just take the throne as my all time favorite Imperial Stout. Mouthfeel is chewy yes a beer can be chewy, don't believe me try this one it says it all. Once again the molasses takes the reigns adding to this full bodied beers complexity on the palate tame carbonation wouldn't want it any other way, after pouring in the final yeast sediment from the bottle the texture becomes thicker which is hard to believe. Drinkability couldn't believe that a beer this massive could be so tasty and drinkable in a 22 ounce portion, I don't know what has me completely sold on this beer but it's amazing. Complex as all hell with a huge mouthfeel, aromatics are mesmorizing, and the taste is orchestrated to perfection. Believe the hype this brew will humble you to the Dark Lord the true master of this style, the 3F's have pushed the envelope and succeeded once again I smell a victory.

This beer pours a black so dark that I think it actually makes the room a little darker. It pours as thick as motor oil. The head is very dark brown. The head is very thick and creamy looking. It fades very slowly. I have been looking at it for about 5 minutes, and it still has almost the same amount of head as when I first filled the glass. It leaves laces so thick, I can not see through them. This beer smells strongly of alcohol. After the wave of alcohol, coffee aroma is present. It also smells strongly of roasted malts. Hints of chocolate are also present. As for hops, there is a slight aroma, but it is almost totally masked by stronger aromas. The first sip of this beer makes all the work, and expense I went to trying to get it all worth while. It tastes very strongly of coffee and chocolate. It is quite bitter, but very well balanced. It is very malty. The alcohol tates is a little harder to make out, but it warms my throat as it goes down. This beer is very thick and creamy. It is a very full bodied beer. It sits heavy on the palate, leaving a coffeelike aftertaste. Due to the rather high alcohol content, and the very aggressive flavor, this beer might not be the best session beer for some. I personally think I could drink it all night, or at least untill the alcohol got to me. I think this beer is amazing. I wish it was not so hard to come by. I would like to thank both goodbyeohio, and mentor for supplying me with this great beer. In a few months I will drink my other bottle and compare it. I just hope I can wait that long.

Thanks a million to mynie for this trade
Tasted on 5/11 with three friends and neighbors
Well I finally found my perfect 5. This beer was incredible, and I thought it lived up to all the hype surrounding it. I have been reading that the 07 has too much sediment and you don't get a full beer, but my bottle was perfectly fine. This stuff is so viscous it is nuts. I wanted to really savor the bottle, but everyone wanted another sip right away so the glass only lasted about 15 minutes. Amazing. My roommate and I giggled like little girls the whole time we were drinking.

Awesome beer

So here it is, I finally get to buckle down and try me some Dark Lord! I cannot believe that it has been nearly 1000 reviews and I have yet to try this one. I was able to get a bottle just a few days after DLD, thanks to a most generous trader, so this is the 2008 edition I will be reviewing. The black wax, was nearly impenetrable, but if you use a sharp enough opener will come off rather quickly. Served at 55 degrees, into an oversized wine glass, I was expecting perfection.

Appearance - The pour was thick, like sludge coming out of the bottle, gurgling as it hit the mouth of the bottle and smashing down into the glass. This was the thickest, darkest of blacks imaginable, it was like a black hole to which no light can escape. Very nice to behold. A smallish, maybe an inch high of rich, dark chocolate colored foam came over the top, giving a nice cascading look to it. Very interesting actually as it appeared to rise up out of nowhere as the liquid itself was so dark and thick that no carbonation could be seen. Some of the stickiest side glass lace I have ever seen, with just web upon web all over the place. This was a monster indeed.

Smell - Hard to put into words how good this smelled. It was a thick aroma, and very sweet. Lots of molasses coming though right away, but very dark, evil smelling. Coffee all over this as well, which surprised me as I did not think there would be as much. Touches of chocolate, but just barely, maybe some dark fruit, but hardly, this was immense in every way. Notes of bourbon come through after it warms, and I find myself sitting in the chair just swirling it around the glass, really just breathing it all in. This was fantastic.

Taste - The flavor followed suit beautifully. Rich coffee flavored molasses just washed over the tongue, well sticks to it is a more apt word, but we will get to that later. Amazingly complex it is hard to really imagine what this one tastes like unless you are actually having it. Nice notes of dark chocolate come through along with a touch of wood flavors. Warming it up brings out lots of oak, and a great hint of vanilla. This is one amazing beer, it is hard to believe that I waited this long to try this one. The finish was just as good as the start and went a little like this: As soon as the last dropped falls from the tongue you get a quick little bite of hops, small, but enough to give the start a bitter touch, this falls off and is replaced by a thick taste of coffee and bourbon, which themselves back off and leave your mouth begging for that flavor, but instead deliver a touch of vanilla, and then the warming starts from the inside. Truly remarkable.

Mouthfeel - This is where I want to comment the most on, but with the fewest words necessary. This was the thickest, smoothest, chewiest, most filling beer I have ever had. It gives a whole new meaning to the term full bodied. This was like a milk shake it was soo big. I was blown away from the first sips that it was a s thick as it was. Unimaginable smooth, as I was enjoying every sip a bit more then the one before it. Truly breathtaking.

Drinkability - For what it is, and for 13%v it was extraordinary. It was soo smooth, and sure you could pick up a little of the alcohol in it, but damn, maybe if it was like 8%, this was ridiculous. So much punch packed into such a delicious package, amazing really..

Overall I have to be honest here. I have in the past commented on how things get too hyped up and there are just as good if not better stouts out there to try. I will now eat my words. This was seriously insane in how good it was. I don't really know where it could have been possibly improved on. I would gladly stand in line for 1 hours in the cold for this one. It really is that good. I am very glad I finally got to try and review this one, it made my whole night. Simply put this is the stout to beat. It really does live up to the hype.

I have never rated a beer so highly. The hype that surrounds it is dead on, my friends. It is New Years Eve, 2009 and I am sipping from a 2008 DL whilest enjoying a roaring fire in my living room in snowy New England. It doesnt get any better than this. The brew: pours thick, oily and dark into my stemmed Leffe Goblet. Having a weak sniffer, I need a big nose (no pun intended) to know i've got something special and I'm so not dissapointed. Dark fruit, raisens, prunes, currents, heavy dark chocolate and molasses all explode from the glass. Deep, dark chocolate, and maybe a hint of coffee with dark molasses sugar. As goes the nose, so goes the taste. Massive and complex, the dark fruit and chocolate bursts all over the pallate and the tongue is coated like heavy maple syrup, only balanced and sweet. This legendary brew boasts complexity like a super computer, yet is so smooth and pleasant to drink. No hop bitterness nor should any be expected, but the alcohol slowly navagates its way past your tongue and down, down, down in a warming yet very evident way. Very viscous and chewy, the mouthfeel is so very warm and inviting. Everything about this brew is warming. I am so fortunate to enjoy something this special in such a special setting. Believe what you've read, and get your hands on DL someday. Cheers everyone and Happy New Year!

A group of friends and I enjoyed a Dark Lord vertical, 2005, 2007, 2010 and 2012 on 1/13/13. I have had the 2012 multiple times from Dark Lord Day and this beer has definitely changed in just a years time but age does some serious delicious things to this beer. Each bottle was poured into taster glass and sips of each were taking going down the line. The sweetness assoc with DL was more apparent as you moved from 2005 to the 2012.

Some my think that 2005 is too long to let this beer age but I don't think so. All the sweetness was all gone. The beer had very subtle but complex flavors. Def large hints of oak and slightly more acidic. Often I would come back to this and taste something new hence why I said the very subtle nature of this 7.5 year old DL. Then moving to the 2007 and 2010... What can I say but these beers were an amazing example of a RIS. The last time I had the 2012 was in Nov and in 2 months this beer has changed for the better. Slightly more mellowed sweetness and the other flavors shine a lot more.

Overall: One heck of an evening and was so glad to be apart of this opportunity. After tasting this broad spectrum of DL I would say the def spot for this beer is 2-4 years of aging. The sweetness dies out some and takes a back burner and lets the complexity of tastes shine even more.

2010 Dark Lord - Three Floyds
Russian Imperial Stout
15% ABV

APPEARANCE: Poured a devilish black oil slick color. My snifter produced little to no head, the teku pour produced a small khaki colored head that settled into a nice halo that has stuck around. Spotted lacing, that is slow dancing down the glass.

AROMA: Instantly hit with black licorice and molasses. Reminiscent of Bourbon County Brand Stout on the bouquet. Smells of rich dark chocolates and deep dark fruits, currants, plums and ripe plump raisins. Faint aroma of coffee beans hiding under the layers. Smells sweet and boozy at the same time, such an inviting aroma.

TASTE: I just made a deal with the devil, sold my soul for a bottle of beer! Amazing, chocolate covered cherries, floating on a bed of sweet malts. Intense flourishes of burnt caramelized fruits with a toasted nuttiness. The chocolate and sweetness gives way to nice warming alcohol heat that finishes with a nice port wine like flavors. If I had this in a blind taste, I would bet the house this was a barrel aged beer. I'm a huge fan of vanilla and this delivers an immense slap to the taste buds of Madagascar vanilla beans. Delicious!

MOUTHFEEL: For a hard pour that produced almost no head I was expecting a almost lazy flat beer. I was wrong. Prickly hidden carbonation that expands into a wonderful creaminess with each sip. Nice burn from the high ABV with a dry lingering finish that leaves the flavors hanging around for an eternity in my mouth.

OVERALL: As far as a Russian Imperial Stout goes, this gargantuan beer is the best I've had to date. The layers upon layers on both nose and pallet seem to be ever evolving. The sweetness is forefront without being cloying, the alcohol is present without being overbearing. All around an amazing beer for the style and amazing beer in general. The Dark Lord has risen!

RATING: 5/5 Zombie Heads!

What the hell can I say about this magnificent creation that has not already been said? This was to be my 6000th beer, but I decided to take it to Papago and as we often bring special beers to sample, this was my choice.

The beer as it slowly oozes out of the 22-ounce brown bottle pours as thick as molasses in January in Maine, it literally makes a glugging sound as it excavates itself from its container. Onyx in color, the head a deep chocolate brown that is creamy as whipped chocolate icing and portly in size, the lace a coat of brown to obscure the glass. Nose is rich bittersweet chocolate, burnt coffee, sweet malt, a treat for both the olfactory and ocular senses, a beer you must sniff to understand its complexity, start is thick and chewy, ambrosial and the top as full as any beer I have ever tasted. Finish is pleasing in its acidity; hops are powerful in their spiciness, the alcohol quite noticeable and the rich sweet chocolate and burnt coffee flavors continue to the parched desert dry aftertaste a quite noticeable tummy warming sensation. “Just one fantastic beer”, but a word of warning not meant for the weak of palate or people not into strong over the top beers, so if you fall into these categories and you have a “Dark Lord” sitting around, send it to me immediately if not sooner. lol

OK....I've been holding onto a couple of these until the flurries of praise subsided. I just extracted the cap from the wax. Prior to this I had a bottle of Old Rasputin. It's one of my house faves and I thought I'd use it as a base.

It pours into the glass with an oily slickness that coats the sides of the glass. Little foam happens. It's sitting in the glass at 56 degrees F. (love the thermometer) The smell is of English walnuts, very complex Port and some Indian spices I can't place but remember after the meal. It might be fennel. I'm not much of a nose guy but this one sticks it into my nostrils. This is amazing!

The taste is JW Lees meets Thomas Hardy. I don't know how they do this but it seems that they must throw massive amounts of original material into the mash. Whoa!...I just poured the last 2 inches of the bottle into the glass. It looks like hot fudge. It is thick and gritty. I can''t imagine sharing this with anyone who isn't seriously experienced in huge beer. This is sensory overload.

This is memorable and even though I paid $18.00 a bottle for it I consider it highly drinkable. Too bad it's gone for now. I hope they do it again. My only other 5 is Hair of the Dog Adam. This is one of the best beers I've ever had.

I'm speaking to you from the future...It's 2005 now and I just opened a new edition of the Dark Lord...orange wax...Damn...this is good!!! I get smell meat and I'm no vegan...This is nose ass beer. The taste is knock down good. The pour was 30 wt. The head was slight and two toned with streaks of white which mysteriously disappeared. No more reviewing for now...time for drinking...All's well...Thank you Floyds.

Perfect this year 2015! Well worth the wait (considering I didn't wait). Anticipating to try next years. Rich and strong with coffee and less sugar this time. Nailed it!

2012 vintage poured into a Duvel tulip at 46 degrees. Pours a midnight oil black. 2 inch beige head quickly shrinks to nothing. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is dark fruit, plum, raisin, molasses, mild pine, maple syrup, toffee, and caramal. Taste is very sweet. Candi sugar, dates, raisins, molasses, toasted malts, raw earth in the back of your mouth, dark baking syrup, faint grass, and roasted barley. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. There is hardly any evidence of alcohol, which is amazing for a 15%abv. Awesome beer. So complex and amazing. I cannot wait till i try this over the next few years in my cellar.

Appearance: Dark black/brown, but that is to be expected. Head is large, sticky, tan and well laced.

Smell: Dark, chocolate, very bitter and sharp smelling, excellent.

Taste: Sharp at first, but not raw. Bitter dark chocolate, strong coffee assaults the mouth, bolstered by a strong vinous/alcohol aspect. Leaves you exhausted and contemplative after every sip. Fantastic, what a Imperial Stout should taste like.

Mouthfeel: Thick and full, oily, mouth coating.

Drinkability: It's hard to find a fault in this beer, worth the hype, worth saving for my 1000th beer reviewed. A huge thanks to OldFrothingSlosh for hooking me up with one of the best beers anywhere.

2008 bottle. Stood in line for 3-1/2 hours for it.

Pours a black that light can not penetrate. It is a black hole sucking up light around it, it's so black. This is real motor oil looking. Pours out the same way oil looks when you pour it into your engine. Creamy chestnut brown head faded very quickly into a thin ring along the edge. There's no lacing but you can tell by the smell that the molasses is gonna stick to everything!

There's a great smell of molasses and dark chocolate, plum, cinnamon, a hint of cherry and there is absolutely no coffee at all. You can also smell the 13% and it does smell amazingly delicious with all that sweetness coming up with it. This is the big boy of sippers.

This beer is not for the faint of heart. you have to really be a serious Russian Imperial Stout lover to drink this beer. It's as if someone angel had added steroids to a regular RIS recipe. Yes I said angel. This beer is how WE SHOULD ALL KNOW god exists and he wants us to be happy.

Huge sweet molasses, caramel, dark bitter sweet chocolate up front, plum?/prune?, honey somewhere in the middle along with more chocolate (like frosting) and bourbon soaked cherry in the middle-end with a huge bite of sticky-gooey molasses in the very back of this bad ass MFer! Wow. And Wow again. So F'N good.

This beer is surprising smooth for such a big hitter. It's not completely full bodied but it's very close. I think it's a good thing because being just shy of full bodied may be why this is drinkable. It does feel like it has some thickness to it that can't easily be split up even in your mouth. It's what I imagined the feel (not taste) of motor oil would be.

This beer is way to drinkable. And that's both a problem and a good thing. It's a problem because this beer isn't available on your corner at your local store. So you savor each and every bottle and each and every sip, to the last drop. It's limited production is what makes this beer amazing. See if I could buy this beer regularly, I'd want to drink it every day. I'd also want a steak and a huge piece of chocolate cake to help me get my fix.

This beer is way too damn good! It's like crack but in beer form. You just can't get enough. And as soon as it's gone, You want more, and more, and more.

Can't wait for this one to mature in my cellar. Man I'm already thinking of how to plan my next trip to DLD. This beer is top notch! Thank you Three Floyds! mmm mmm good!

2011 vintage.
Had on tap the day after DLD 2011

Aromas of leather, tobacco, port, honey and dark fruits. Sweet, super rich and decadent. Palate is dominated by dark fruits and a port like sweetness but with just enough tar and roast to balance. Viscous and oily body. Alcohol only hits you in the chest, overall for 15% this is incredibly smooth. A fantastic RIS, didn’t disappoint

Sampled on 1-16-09
2008 Vintage
Reviewed from notes.

A: Super oily and black, with a thin head that coates the glass with a thin, yellow layer.

S: Surprisingly old, tons of oak, smoke, anise, and molasses. Thick and crazy complex, probably the best smelling beer ever.

T: Wow. This beer is only 9 months old but tastes like it's been aging for years. Oak all over the place, followed by a sweet, almost fruity quality. Hugely malty and yeasty, big in every way. Different than any other RIS I've had.

M: Low carbonation, thick and syrupy, coats the glass and the palate.

D: Insanely good for such an extreme beer, the flavors are just so addicting.

My first and only 5.0 rated beer.

I sold my eternal soul for this bottle. Actually, I just traded a bottle of Pizza Port, but I *would* have sold my soul, damn it. And it would have been worth it.

Lots of beers are black. This is darker. No hints of ruby around the edges when you hold it up to the light. In fact, it actually seems to absorb light. The room gets a little darker when you pour this, even as your eyes light up. I'm surprised there's a head at all to this monster, even if it is just a thin rim. But it lasts.

Big malt aroma with huge alcohol spiciness and heat. Ridiculously roasty. Plums and currants dance gingerly amidst their more assertive aroma neighbors.

The mouthfeel is like syrup. I've had plenty of Imperial Stouts, and some of them were pretty thick. But this is amazing. A true joy to swirl around the tongue. Viscous, chewy, and delightful.

Delicious roasty malt flavors dominate, with more hints of black cherry and a strong, but not at all out-of-place, alcohol presence. Bittersweet chocolate and molasses.

Just for kicks, I poured the last inch of the bottle in to my glass, though I had been amply warned that it would be undrinkable. These dregs left trails down the glass of a sort I'd never seen before. I'm not sure one trip through the dishwasher is going to get that out.

An amazing beer. Utterly disproportionate, over-the-top, ginormous and massive. But a joy to drink nevertheless. A true one-of-a-kind.

I don't need to go into detail about this beer... it truly does live up to it's hype... I was at a beer tasting today and got a bottle of the 2010 Dark Lord and opened it up and drank a bit and my god... I really haven't tasted anything this amazing. I don't know if this is my favorite beer style or if it's just Three Floyds for being extreme geniuses with beer and flavor. This beer might not be the best thing you've ever had but damn... it truly is the best thing I've tasted to date and I was overly amped to try this and it didn't disappoint and totally lived up to my expectations.

Poured from the bottle into a wide mouthed twenty ounce goblet.

Appearance: This beer poured blacker than black. Did I mention the beer was black with no opaqueness to light. The head was about two fingers with reverse cascading. The head was colored a lightly creamed coffee coloration. Webs of lacing remained on the glass. This is one sexy beer.

Smell: The beer truly is a melange of smells. Chocolate and heavily roasted to a crisp coffee via for dominance. The eddies of fruity goodness play throughout the beer. Cherries dipped in rum and chocolate. play with currants and dates and other assorted berries. I know I missed alot on the intial drinking and will try again latter.

Taste: The Dark Lord is really really bad! The taste lives up to the smell. Loads of chared to a crisp coffee and chocolate lead the charge. There is a harsh but not unpleasant spiceyness to the beer. There is a massive amount of fruity goodness floating in the beer. Dam this is the shit!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is incredible. Chewy doesnt even beging to describe the thickness of the mouthfeel. This coats your mouth to the point where almost nothing else could get through. Drinkability is really dam near perfect. There is enough sweetness and bitterness to keep your attention. This beer is everything I have heard it was and then some. I have at last met my Overlord.

Ive been eager to review/drink this highly touted brew for years now. For christmas my GF presented me with a bottle.

I finally got around to trying it and i was most certainly impressed.

A- It poured thick and dark black with a great chocolate head that looked thick and creamy.

S- Cherries covered in dark belgian chocolate rich and deep aromas abound.

T- Big malty chocolate cake with hints of toffee, coffee clove and dark fruits. a very slight hint of soy sauce but in a pleasing way.

M- Thick and creamy with a flavor that coats the mouth. it really is a dessert in a bottle.

D- If it was possible to give it a 6 out of 5 on this on drinkability i would. there are many stouts out there but none quite like this. i would drink this until the morning light and then just keep on.

Believe the hype on this one it really is an extraordinary beer. if you cant find the dark lord i would however recommend chokolat stout from southern tier as i believe it to be almost as good.

Thick, viscous pour. Nearly no head. Smells boozy, sweet (vanilla, chocolate). I don't get as much roast and coffee in the smell as with other stouts. That's fine with me. The taste is fantastic. So much to process. Sweetness that seems to suggest chocolate, vanilla, molasses. Unlike many stouts, the roast is hidden. For that, I think this beer stands out a bit to me. Some licorice in there too. Yum. The booze will get you if you drink too fast but it certainly does not overtake the beer. It is well hidden, which is impressive for 15%. I love this beer and Dark Lord Day.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.