Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

2011 - Yellow Wax
2012 - Red Wax
2013 - Orange Wax
2014 - Blue Wax

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros
kscaldef

Oregon

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to AlexFields for this one. 2011 Vintage, consumed 16 July 2011

A: No head. Very dark brown, but not black.

S: Lots of coffee and chocolate. Hint of soy.

T: Chocolate, coffee, raisin, banana(?)

M: Minimal carbonation, smooth and thick

O: Definitely not a beer to chug back. A buddy and I split this and spent two hours sipping and hanging out. That's definitely the right setting for this beer. It deserves some time to be savored.

10-15-2011 21:42:31 | More by kscaldef
jjanega08

4.58/5  rDev +7%

2007 vintage
A= completely black with a sudden thick brown one finger head rising to the top as I looked away to put the bottle down. Great lacing and average retention. Comes back when I swirl.
S= thick molasses and chocolate dark malts. After it sat a while I got more coffee and toward the end of the drink with a swirl you get wiffs of straight alcohol.
T= very smooth and extremely sweet. Loads of dark chocolate is mostly present. Lots of molasses and coffee. As it warms the cxoffee smell comes through more and more.
M= huge coat. Doesn't leave your mouth in a hurry making it a great sipping beer. Lower carbonation. Chewy and thick. One of the most viscous beers I've ever had. Actually left my lips really sticky with the sips
D= great beer no doubt but the drinkability suffers. Great for sitting on a rainy day and sipping on. Really lives up to the hype. Awesome special occasion beer.

06-08-2009 00:05:03 | More by jjanega08
prototypic

2008 Release

Many, many thanks to JDV and lightindarkness for the bottles. Much appreciated, guys.

Dark Lord pours an onyx color. There's not an ounce of light cutting through. Very fitting. It's topped with a rather modest, dark mocha head. It rises to nearly a finger and dissipates quickly from there. Lacing was sticky, but was rather light. That's not all too surprising given the massive abv. Despite that small shortcoming, it's fantastic looking beer.

The nose is very deep and impressive. It's loaded with chocolate and sweet caramel malts. Dark fruit is noted early on. Plum and raisin are the most notable varieties. After nearly two years in the bottle, it comes as no surprise that the hops have diminished. However, there is some evidence of their presence in the form of a dank, earthy smell. Roasted coffee is a little subtle and secondary, but is present. Alcohol is noticeable, as it should be for such a big beer. But, it's not overbearing. Dark Lord smells excellent. It's very deep and complex, but isn't quite perfect. I was expecting a little more bad-ass, if you will.

The flavor is nothing short of excellent. I tried one of the bottles shortly after the release nearly two years ago. This is a little better, but I can't say that it's materially better. It is very malty and quite sweet. Chocolate and caramel malts are very prevalent throughout. Brown sugar is present, in addition to mild dark fruit flavors of raisin and plum. Secondary flavors of anise and molasses complement the other flavors and add quite a bit of depth and complexity. The hops have mostly faded. There are some remnants present. I'll gladly take that. Coffee is noted, but isn't too strong. I always appreciate a little coffee flavor in my beer, and this one's no exception. Alcohol is surprisingly tame for a double digit beast. It doesn't even feel warm or hot. It finishes sweet and malty.

Dark Lord has a very full, lush, viscous mouthfeel. It's perfect. It's the best feel I've ever encountered in a beer. Carbonation is light and only adds to its great feel. Wow. The mouthfeel is stunning. Drinkability is very high for such a big, badass stout. While it's strong, it goes down so easy and smooth. A bomber will do the trick, but it's damn drinkable.

Dark Lord has attained a status nothing short of legendary in the beer world. Does it deserve it? Yeah, I think it does. Considering its reputation and name, the bottle's contents really deliver. Everything about it is excellent. As I said before, I'm not convinced that it's materially better after two years in the bottle. But, there's no question that it holds up well over time. Dark Lord simply must be experienced by each and every BA. I highly suggest you seek out a bottle and experience it. I mean...you don't really want to anger the Dark Lord, do you?

01-30-2010 02:47:50 | More by prototypic
shbobdb

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

I was fortunate enough to score a bottle of this from BA Sephiroth. Ahhhh, thanks buddy. 2007 Vintage, drank on Tuesday, July 17th, 2007 (really more like Monday night).

It is a little young, I agree. However, a buddy of mine was visiting and fine beer is meaningless if you can't share it with a friend. And what could be finer than a Dark Lord? Drank from the fancy-shmancy Sam Adams glass (hell yeah).

The beer pours motor-oil black with a thick, beautiful coffee-and-cream head. The head is, however, incredibly short-lived. After the head dies down, the beer looks slick like motor oil. That makes sense, it look like motor oil probably because it should!

The nose is heavily alcoholic. Coffee and chocolate ("mocha" if you wanna be a douche-bag about it) is also present along with a strong play-dough smell that I associate with homebrews that are still a touch too young.

The taste follows the smell, but with a very rich malty backbone added on. Hersey's this ain't, it rivals the finest Belgian chocolates, mixed with delightful coffee, a touch of toffee, and some play-dough. It reminds me of the Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout, but more "beer-y" if you know what I mean. I know I am drinking a beer with this guy.

The mouthfeel is slick. This monster takes a looong while to drink, so the carbonation is long gone by the time you get around to reviewing the beer. Instead, you are left with a very full, very slick feel in the mouth. Since the taste is so pleasant, having my mouth coated with this bad-boy is a pleasure.

The drinkability, well, this guy is intense. But I like it. I've drank it (well, 11oz of it) for over an hour now and I am not yet bored. Really very good stuff. Perfect for hanging out with a friend and talking about the good ol' days. Like scotch, but beer, if that makes sense.

I dig it. I understand why people like it so much.

07-17-2007 05:49:16 | More by shbobdb
CRJMellor

Arkansas

Review Number 400.

Pours a molasses thick deep brown/black with burgundy highlights. Pencil thin ring of deep tan head and spotty lace on the goblet.
Aroma of cocoa, coffee, and malts, licorice, some grapefruit, grapes, many other things that I can't even begin to explain.
Flavors of molasses, port, dark fruits, citrus and earthy hop notes. Chocolate permeates as does liquor.
Mouthfeel is very sweet malt with citrus, port like sweet tones. Bitring is light but there. Alcoholic pop just enough to know that you are drinking something very special.
Drinkability is enormously high. Have to find this on draught next year. Wow, I'm really speechless on this one, simply great beer. Can't imagine a better beer.

05-04-2004 23:20:20 | More by CRJMellor
frank4sail

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Friggin' rich dark black motor oil of a look. Thick persistant milk cocoa colored head. Very rich lookin'. Sweet bitter chocolate and expresso pungent nose. Thick coffee, mocha, rich malt and a hoppy green flavored finish. The thickest fullest mouth I have ever had in a beer. Very good and very overwhelming. Rediculas!

05-28-2004 01:21:38 | More by frank4sail
thickerfreakness

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is my second to last bottle from DLD 2008. Traded three and drank one at a tasting. I shared this one with my best friend who loves coffee and thus loved this beer haha. Well worth it to share with my friend because I could never finish this one alone.

Pours a pitch black with a thick mocha head and nice lacing.

Smells of tons of coffee, roasted and burnt malts, chocolate, and a little bit of hops.

Chocolatey smooth, coffee richness. Burnt, roasted malts. Just a huge flavorful beer that for me is the definition of the style.

Absolutely the thickest, most rich mouthfeel I have had.

13% ABV is huge but its well hidden and this is just an amazing beer. I just don't think I could ever finish one of these by myself but I don't think thats a bad thing because its a fun beer to share.

06-29-2008 03:23:05 | More by thickerfreakness
abraxel

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

A 2011 bottle, received in the Telephone Game BIF courtesy of oline73.

A - Very dark brown, not quite black. Not that much head, but an impressive amount for the ABV.

S - Lots of malty sweet, tasty dark fruits, with a decent amount of booze.

T - Really tasty. Very sweet, lots of fruity, dark maltiness, molasses. Not much booziness at all. It reminds me a lot of Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, actually. In a very good way.

M - Smooth, somewhat thick. I think the alcohol thins it a bit, but not even a twinge of alcohol burn. Altogether, good.

Overall, I'm impressed. This lived up to my expectations, definitely. I'm happy I still have half my glass!

10-05-2011 02:12:10 | More by abraxel
sukwonee

Washington

2012 vintage
Poured into Lost Abbey Teku glass

A: Black thick motor oil like body with quarter finger head that remains

S: Brown sugar, some dark fruit (cherries, apple), caramel

T: For those that mentioned below that it tastes like soy sauce - I do get your point, but guys, this is an awesome beer. Maybe all the negative comments lowered my expectation of this haha. I find this beer to be very delicious and unique. Maybe a tad bit on the sweet side. Alcohol taste is barely there.

M: Perfect. Syrupy, chewy, rich, and surprisingly not hot at all.

O: Awesome beer. I think this beer age tremendously. I would love the chance try its variations.

09-01-2012 02:54:14 | More by sukwonee
Mauerhan

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

a rich thick dark pour into my snifter, almost thick enough to be a syrup. a small amount of rich brown head is produced, falls quickly. but not surprising for a 13 abv.

smell is rich. i get chocolate roasted malts, some coffee hints and a lot of fruits, mainly cherries. a boozy song is sung behind everything but its not overpowering. very nice on the smell. cant wait to try it.

taste is awesome. the first time ive had a beer like this. very complex. rich flavors of chocolate, robust malts, and a great presence of the cherries. if smooth had a flavor it would be this.

great mouthfeel. creamy with a small amount of dryness from the alcohol.

im not sure how many of these i could put back in a night but it is a very drinkable beer.

11-02-2008 20:10:08 | More by Mauerhan
Deuane

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A 2007 vintage bottle enjoyed almost at a full year old.

A-motor oil, the very darkest of black with dark caramel head that leaves mucho lacing.

S-Big roast with vanilla, caramel, alchohol. Twinges the nares a bit if you inhale too hard!

T-A cornucopia of all the good things in a RIS.
This brew has them all! Cocoa, nuttiness, dark fruits, robust coffee, licorice, soy sauce, etc.. This is one complex MF'er!

M-Big, bold, robust and full of body...like you thought this would be thin! Ha...more like 10-W40!

D-With all of it's BIGNESS it is extremely smooth, and that is the genius of this beer. The ending alcohol burn lets you know what you are dealing with! This one fresh is a bit much...but with almost a year under it's belt well, this Dark Lord is all grown up!

03-30-2008 09:46:46 | More by Deuane
doc10house

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a bottle into a plastic sampling cup at Parti-Pak Liquor in south Indianapolis.

A - Nothing that hasn't been said a hundred times. Dark. Dark, dark, dark. Like the Dark Lord himself. Like what a blindfolded blind man whose eyes have been removed from his head sees at midnight. Like motor oil, yes. As it swirls in the cup, leaves a sludgy residue on the sides reminiscent of a Castrol commercial. That residue doesn't run back into the cup, but almost oozes. Barely any head at all, and that's the reason I didn't give it a 5 here.

S - Amazing. Indescribable. Even having read umpteen reviews, and all the hyperbole, I was impressed. Waves of espresso, dark chocolate, and fruit, most notably raisins. A morning table of warm raisin bread and a cafe mocha comes to mind, giving way to notes of cola; oversyruped, undercarbonated cola. I could have smelled it all day, except I needed to get to...

T - I'm typically more a strong Belgian guy than a stout guy, but this was wonderful. More dark fruits, lots of coffee (but not over-roasted or burnt like an Old Rasputin), and chocolate. Creamy aftertaste, and a bit of warmth, but no discernible "alcohol burn" at all. Almost sweet at the finish. Lingers on the palate, but that's the TASTE, not the alcohol. The alcohol is hidden marvelously for the strength of this beer.

M - Creamy, thick. Can almost chew this beer. I personally think that's a great thing; your mileage may vary. Leaves a residue in the mouth much like that in the cup, but given the taste, that's more than welcome. I'd have to say the mouthfeel is what makes this beer so unique, as it's the most pleasant aspect and the one that sets this brew apart from anything else I'd ever tried.

D - This is one to have on a special occasion, or with some great friends who also appreciate what it is, like a rare bottle of wine. I couldn't swill this every Sunday while watching the NFL, or even sip it slowly every evening. It's just too big for that. Not too strong, or alcoholic, or even necessarily too expensive, just...big. It's akin to a rich, multilayered dessert in that regard.

Lucky to have been in the right place at the right time for this one. Will absolutely be in Munster, IN next summer on DLD.

09-20-2009 00:55:14 | More by doc10house
HopasaurusRex

New Hampshire

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

2008 vintage - black wax.

Poured into my Stone IRS goblet. A memorable beer for a special occasion . . .

Dark as a starless sky in wintry New England. No cirrus clouds of foam. Just enveloping darkness. None more black.

Aromas waft and swirl around the lip of the glass. Dark chocolate brownie batter stirred vigorously in a bowl. Burnt molasses from the refinery down the road. Dry roasted espresso beans.

Layers and layers of flavor. Deep, dark, roasty Sumatra coffee touched with cream. Port-filled chocolate truffles. Dried fruit cocktail. Heady burn from the alcohol in the finish.

Ah, but the mouthfeel is where this beer really distinguishes itself. It coats the tongue and slides slowly down the throat. Thick, rich, and viscous from start to finish. A beer meant to be sipped and savored.

Take two and save one in the cellar for a special occasion.

10-27-2009 13:59:06 | More by HopasaurusRex
Hojaminbag

Colorado

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2007 Edition.

This was yet another bottle shared with me by Deuane and SierraGS. The hospitality of Deuane and Carolyn knows no bounds. Thanks!

The body is black and thick looking. There is only a little bit of brown foam, but when swirled the liquid coats the glass like wine.

The aroma is packed with a good bit of sweetness, all kinds of coffee and a good bit of chocolate.

Oh man, this is really good. I'd say coffee takes the forefront, with a little bit of roast flavor to back it up. Then comes chocolate: first comes flavors of milk chocolate and then some notes of dark and bitter chocolate. Four years of age and there is still just a hint of hops that are hovering around in the background. Some dark fruits nudge forward, with cherries and dates. I expected this thing to be a sweet mess too, but the sweetness is in control and quite good, coming in the form of molasses and a bit of caramel flavor. I pick up a little bit of vanilla also. This beer is incredibly smooth and well-integrated.

The mouthfeel is huge. Smooth and heavy, almost like a light syrup. It works really well for the massive flavor profile that it delivers to your tongue.

Packed with flavor, not too boozy, and very smooth. Dark Lord is the real deal. I never bothered to try Dark Lord before because I honestly didn't think I would like it. Big stouts that are just a mess of alcohol, heat or cloying sweetness are not my thing; for example, I wasn't a fan of Black Tuesday and didn't like Chocolate Rain. So I went into trying Dark Lord more curiously than excitedly. The next occasion that I crack one of these will come sooner. With that said, I think 4 years of age on one of these was excellent, and I'm not sure that I would drink it with less.

05-05-2011 19:01:08 | More by Hojaminbag
schroederm

In a tulip:

Head is so dark! Two fingers in the tulip. It's only fault is
retention, which is understandable given the ABV. Dark dark brown, murky with particulates. Unbelievable aroma. Chocolate covered cherry smell is uncanny, with a touch of vanilla and alcohol (specifically bourbon). Hint of allspice as well. Taste has a cherry chocolate entrance with mocha finish and a strong coffee aftertaste that lingers for a good amount of time. Extremely well balanced. This is the thickest beer I've ever tried. Remarkably creamy. Infalliable carbonation. High alcohol, bitter, and flavor in general make this beer laborious on the palate, reducing drinkability substantially. Don't get me wrong though, I would drink a case of this if I could.

Overall: I'm reluctant to give 5's... ever. This beer moved me.

03-21-2009 15:26:43 | More by schroederm
DrJay

2005 release.
Black with faint chestnut highlights (I really had to work at it to spot the colour difference). The dark brown head was fairly dense, with plenty of fine bubbles, and produced some spotty lace. Decent retention too. Very malty and roasty aroma, backed up by some sharp chocolate and (relatively) mild hops. The flavour starts out with a dry roastiness and rich, chocolate sweetness that is balanced nicely by solid bitterness. Some sour cherry notes kick in part way through, followed by licorice and a slight acidity (seemingly due to the quantity of dark malts). This was a thick beer - and it looked viscous even during the pour. Excellent on the palate, very creamy, carbonation was a little on the low side, and it finished with a light warmth. Big and flavourful, I found that the Dark Lord was quite drinkable for a beer of its size. Thanks for the trade, autumnaldave!

05-03-2006 02:44:11 | More by DrJay
armock

Poured from a bottle of 2008

A - Poured a pitch black color with a brown head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is wonderful of roasted malt that give off chocolate coffee and dark fruit scents

T - The taste lived up to the hype for me like the smell chocolate and dark fruit flavors made this one a very good beer

M - Outstanding nice full body that was creamy smooth with light carbonation to it

D - Just about as drinkable as you can get for a high abv RIS the taste and smooth mouthfeel made this beer a joy to drink worth hunting down to try

02-25-2009 20:03:15 | More by armock
elNopalero

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

White wax, 2009

Tried this at a bottle share. I had about 2 ounces of it, which was more than enough for me to confirm that this is truly deserving of being called diabetes in a bottle.

This pours a thick, crude-oil black in color. There’s a cocoa-colored creamy cap on this beaut.
The aroma is more than I could comprehend. Lots of sugary rum, a thick molasses, some dried fruit and a dark chocolate-coffee note. Big taste. It’s thick and heavy, but despite the strength I don’t get a sense of it’s ABV as I sip because the overpowering sweetness dominates. Lots more molasses, sugary sweetness, and a rummy character dominate over the chocolate-coffee roast.

Intense.

12-29-2013 07:20:48 | More by elNopalero
HardTarget

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle Inspection: 2006 Vintage. Gold wax takes some work to get through. 13% abv. lets you know this one doesn’t play.

Aroma: Dark, almost bourbon barrel notes with hints of charred wood. Deep roasted barley and booze. I’m reminded of Triple Bock, but without any soy sauce, just deep, dark, heavy, and alcoholic.

Appearance: BLACK with swirls of smoky head.

Flavor: Rich roasted malt, burnt coffee, dark fermented fruit, plum, grape, with a sweetness like maple syrup in the back end.

Mouthfeel: Very dry finish after a thick coating of the tongue. The medium body seems strangely light given the taste and appearance; I guess the alcohol thins it out a bit.

Overall Impression: Quite the experience. Worth the hype? Hard to say, but very enjoyable.

Thanks to chadspivey for his very generous sharing of the experience.

12-18-2007 07:13:05 | More by HardTarget
WPRebelFan

Mississippi

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

My first review, thanks for sharing Phil!

2008 bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Definitely one of, if not the thickest beer, I have ever poured out of a bottle. It even appeared to come out in lumps at some points. Blacker than black in color with a dark tan head that is no more than a quarter of an inch thick, which disappears quickly. Lacing is almost non existent.

Smell: Strong chocolate, coffee, dark fruits, malts, all of which smelled roasted.

Taste: Malts and hint of dark fruits come first along with a dash of anise and molasses. The dark chocolate and roasted coffee flavors follow in a very strong fashion. The slightest bit of alcohol finishes off the experience.

Mouthfeel: This was the most weird part of the beer for me. The beer was thick and very filling of course but it seemed to expand dramatically in the mouth. Not necessarily a bad quality but not that good either.

Drinkability: Unbelievably drinkable! Finished in no time at all.

03-07-2009 04:12:39 | More by WPRebelFan
VncentLIFE

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

An extra from heatwave33! an extra, yes an extra.

They werent kidding when they said black. This thing pours black as the heart of the devil from the first ounce to the last. No carbonation, but at 15%, I dont mind. Very ominous.

The smell syrupy sweet, with a hint of roasted malt and coffee. Sweet and dark chocolate notes as well. Sweet plum/raisin/prune laden booze (think raisin rum at Christmas).

Very complex (most compex that I think I've had). The first noticeable thing is how syrupy and sweet it is. Like the smell would say, its laden with dark fruit. Prunes and very sweet raisins are everywhere. Light smokiness as well. Slight alcohol burn comes in late. It finishes exceptionally sweet and smooth, with that syrupy feeling really lingering around.

The mouthfeel vaguely reminds me of the scene from Super Troopers, "Relax the throat. And dont forget to cup the balls." Maybe an exaggeration, but you get the idea. Very thick mouthfeel, very syrupy. I got the same feeling from Better Half on tap, but it works here. Theres just enough coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt to accent the sweetness (barely). Anymore sweet or less roasty, and we'd have a problem.

Overall, I can see why its rated so highly. Its in its own little category of high gravity RISs, plus the hype helps the flavor a bit. It adds to the excitement of first trying it. If your'e not excited at an opportunity to try Dark Lord for the first time, then youre not a beer geek. I can also see how Barrel Aging this puppy would make it better. Add some bourbon/brandy and some vanilla, and DAMN.

07-11-2012 19:46:13 | More by VncentLIFE
goindownsouth

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to BA mikesgroove for hooking me up with this one. Dude is one alright guy...

Deep, rich, and dark black in appearance, a huge head of creamy dark brown goodness stood firmly atop, but still laced well.

Aromas were sweet of dried dark fruit some burnt raisins (as my wife pointed out), spice, lots of great coffee and cocoa notes.

Smooth, luxurious and sumptuous on the palate. No more can be said.

Highly intense flavor with a symphony of dark stone fruit, caramel, high-quality chocolate, coffee, and of course the hops. Amazingly, this is not at all cloying.

I was floored with just how drinkable this brew was. I expected it to be far too big to really get into. I was wrong. Balanced (as much so as it could be) yet very pronounced, this is classic. Not my style of Bier, not my preferred ABV, but a stellar brew nonetheless.

Zum wohl.

10-30-2008 12:51:57 | More by goindownsouth
Ahappyhiker2

4.54/5  rDev +6.1%

2008 vintage, black wax. I've had Dark Lord fresh before, but never aged.

A- Black, thick, the yeast at the end of the pour is so thick it's crazy. There is small head on the beer that dissipates quickly.

S- Very, very sweet. I definitely picked up some molasses, and lots of chocolate. There is a slight hint of coffee, along with plums and raisins. Dark fruit comes out a lot just because of the bitterness and sweetness. The aroma is pretty boozy as well.

T- First sip is incredible. Unbelievably smooth, all of the booziness in the aroma is gone. Definitely has a dark chocolate/dark coffee kind of bitterness to it, in fact chocolate was the most distinct flavor for me. The aftertaste lingers for a while with lots of burnt chocolate notes. It gets sweeter as it warms up but surprisingly it's not as sweet as the 2012 vintage was last year.

M- Really thick, but what else would you expect? Honestly I think Dark Lord has the perfect mouthfeel for a stout. Chewy, but still has enough carbonation after 5 years of being in the bottle.

O- This was a real treat. I've heard before that 2008 is the best vintage, and just judging by having it fresh last year, I'd have to agree. It isn't overly sweet, it's crazy smooth, and all of the flavors I'd want in a stout are present. I wouldn't go after years 2009-2012 just from what I've heard, but this vintage is absolutely worth seeking out. Finally I found a non-barrel aged RIS that I enjoyed more than Marshal Zhukov's.

05-05-2013 16:52:37 | More by Ahappyhiker2
ricke

Sweden

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

2008 vintage.

A: Pitch black with a small brown head. The liquid is really viscous.

S: Huge aromas of roasted malts and dark chocolate. Some dark bread, soy sauce and licorice and molasses. A rich and powerful smell.

T: This one really fills the whole mouth with flavors. Every sip is like getting hit by a tidal wave. Roasted malts all around, sweet dark chocolate, more sweet toffee, coffee and caramel. Every now and then, a slightly burnt flavor develops. Woody notes. The taste is predominantly sweet. The finish is quite bitter with big notes of well integrated alcohol, salt, hints of licorice and soy sauce, and perhaps some hop notes.

M: Mouthfeel is off the chart on this one. Ridiculously big body, viscous like old engine oil and smooth beyond belief.

D: So, what to say about this one, the dark lord, one of the white whales? Well, it's just a great beer. Fantastic mouthfeel, rich and powerful taste, and very complex. However, it's a little on the sweet side, so it's not perfect. But I actually think it manages to live up to it's reputation.

07-20-2009 13:10:27 | More by ricke
Janderson91

Alabama

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks to LusciousJackson for this bottle. The first of many beers shared with a buddy to celebrate my birthday. Yellow wax - 2011 vintage. Enjoyed on 07/18/11.

A - Poured into a small goblet. As you would expect, very thick pitch black like motor oil with a small small head of brown bubbles forming. The head recedes quickly and leaves no lacing. Has great legs though.

S - Sweet molasses, chocolate, very light coffee, cherries, raisins, plums, alcohol, some brown sugar. Smell is complex and fantastic.

T - Follows the nose. This is one of the sweetest stouts I've had, which is a complaint for a lot of people. Being as young as this beer is, the alcohol is still pretty evident on the palate which really helps cut the sweetness of the beer and makes it incredibly drinkable. I love this beer.

M - Mouthfeel was perfect. Coats the tongue with just a hint of carbonation.

O - Overall, what a great beer. It's sweetness is perfectly balanced by the alcohol. I couldn't put it down before I wanted another sip. Great job, Three Floyds.

07-19-2011 14:05:29 | More by Janderson91