Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Maroon wax = 2015 15% ABV
Reviews: 1,220 | Hads: 3,968
3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

Updated review from Dark Lord tasting of 10, 11, 12, Bourbon Barrel '12 and Brandy Vanilla '11

After trying 5 different versions of the beer in one sitting I came to the realization that this is one of the thickest, heaviest, sweetest, most cloying, rich beers I can possibly imagine. We were all hard pressed to finish our 3-4 oz pours of the regular Dark Lord vintages due to the overwhelming sweetness driven by dark fruit, burnt sugar, vanilla, anise, chocolate, etc. The booze is still negotiable, but my overall impression of this beer has changed since I first had it nearly 2 years ago.

Trying these alongside the barrel-aged versions really exposes the base beer as well, considering the Bourbon and Brandy Vanilla are two of the best stouts I've tasted all year.

Original review - 2-11-11: 4.47

22oz bottle poured into snifter glass - 2010 vintage - thanks to mikesgroove/dregs78 (not sure who this one's from)

Pours a ridiculously inky and thick black color with a tanned head. There's some retention with a brownish film, leaving a collar of lacing on the glass.

Lots of dark fruit in the nose with rich sweetness. Notes of anise, licorice, truffles and chocolate followed by a slight alcohol flair.

Sweet up front driven by an assortment of candied dark fruit and syrup with molasses. Anise, licorice, and raisin with some bittersweet tones and light hop bitterness. Dark chocolate and toffee with some notes of truffle oil. Warm boozyness and more dark fruit throughout the finish.

Full syrupy body, nice carbonation, very smooth and slick on the palate. Drinks insanely well for the alcohol content with a nice, unique full flavor however a little on the sweet side for me. This was a pretty unusual beer compared to most big, boozy stouts I've had, but definitely one I'd seek out again.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm always entertained when I pour a "mega stout" - you just don't expect that kind of viscosity in a libation. This brew pours with a chunkiness somewhere between motor oil and chocolate pudding and has a surprisingly thick, creamy cocoa colored head. The crown flattens out almost immediately but leaves a good bit of sticky lacing on the inside of the glass.

The nose is almost entertaining enough that you could skip the drink - there are notes of fig, vanilla, molasses, cherries, oak and smoke in the smell (and that's just the first whiff) It seems every time you put your nose in the glass there's another interesting discovery that adds to the complexity.

The flavor is equally complex with an interesting melange of dried fruits, coffee and cocoa and a poorly integrated alcohol note. No hops to speak of to add a contrasting note to the malts and esters.

Mouthfeel is, as expected, a tad on the heavy side. There's a moderate amount of carbonation to lighten up each sip but the finish is lacking either hop or roasted grain bitterness leaving only an alcohol burn and a bit of a syrupy, cloying finish.

Sadly this seems to be a case where the hype led me to expect more from the beer than it could actually deliver. It was interesting as a novelty but this isn't a brew that I'm likely to seek out again. I've had a few other 'big stouts' that I'd love to go back and revisit but this one isn't going to be on that list.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Sparky44 for this 2009 bottle.

Pours a maple syrupy thick jet black color with only a small ring of brown foam around the glass despite a semi-agressive pour. Where's the head?

Smells extremely sweet. Reminds me of malt extract. Molasses, prune and raisin with a moderate alcohol scent.

Wow, is this sweet. Sweetest tasting beer I've ever had. Sweet and bitter sums this one up. There is a pretty moderate hotness coming from the booze. Bitterness from the hops. Bittersweet chocolate, some coffee, prune, raisin and molasses. Extremely rich. Not as deep and complex as I had expected.

Super thick and syrupy. As full of a body as you can get. Small amount of soft carbonation on tongue. Pretty wet finish.

Definite sipper of a beer. Works well as a dessert drink. I'm thankful I'm sharing a bottle with my wife as I couldn't drink a whole one myself. Can't detect the 13% ABV in this one. Probably won't seek this out again. Didn't quite live up to the hype for me.

3.69/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2013 edition. Poured from an orange wax 22 ounce bottle into a snifter. Many thanks to the guys at Ale Arsenal for sharing.

A: Unsurprisingly black. Not much to say here.

S: Brown sugar and caramel.

T/M: Thick. Rich. Sweet. Really thick. Caramelized brown sugar. Hint of bitterness. This is a sugar bomb. Vaguely like DFH WWS. I honestly taste nothing but brown sugar and the barest hint of coffee.

O: Overall a decent beer. Not the best. It's just WAY too sweet. Would not have again. Not recommended.

3.69/5  rDev -13.8%

I want to taste the beer named after God, because the beer named after Satan (well, the best one named after him) is pretty damned good.

This 2010 vintage was shared with another beer nerd in the middle of a parking lot, in blizzard, in a Wawaccino glass (sans wawaccino, and washed). I don't think many beer nerds can beat that for context. It's thick and murky and motor oil black. Tan head, finger thick. Smells like chocolate, malts, and something lactic that got burnt. Cream? Also boozy. It tastes rich and filthy, so so so sickly sweet. Really big, and I was feeling a buzz before the end of my half of the bottle. But at 15%, you have to expect that going in.

For what it is, its full body is highly drinkable. I could sip on this for a while. Even in a blizzard.

Just not one I have to drive in.

UPDATE: When not in a blizzard, this beer is not that impressive. Changed from an A+ to much much less, there's no coffee in the nose. It's just booze and soy sauce. Almost rubbing alcohol. Smacks you in the nose. And at the top of the palate. And the thickness isn't as great, it's almost runny. Dark Lord 2010 isn't worth slamming, but it might not be worth praising so highly, either.

3.68/5  rDev -14%

Got in a trade with czoch75 back in May and have been cellaring till now per FFF's recommendation. Poured from a 22oz bottle with a silver wax seal and cool graphics into a pint glass. I have to agree with other reviews that it pours like motor oil or thick syrup. It was pitch black even against a light. It had just a tiny hint of head and that was gone in a blink of an eye. The aroma was strong on alcohol and dark fruits at first. Got some strong smoke after a couple minutes but then that faded into the back. By the end, alcohol was the most dominant. The taste was also dominated by alcohol. Very reminiscent of cough medicine. There was some sweetness at the start of each drink but then the alcohol overpowered it. I've had several RIS lately and really liked several but this one is too much. For me, they need to scale back the alcohol taste and add back in some more traditional RIS flavors. For me, this one is overhyped and not worth recommending unless you can easily get it. Disappointed is best way to sum it up. (3, NA, ML, N)

3.68/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had most of the beers that are incredibly hyped and most of them live up to it, this one doesn't. It tastes like they threw a ton of ingredients into a brew kettle and forgot to ferment it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad beer, I've had much worse. As far as Imperial Stouts go though I've had much better and those were far more accessable. Lots of dark fruits, it almost tastes like a blend of a Quad and a RIS, leaning more toward the Quad. This is a 2012 bottle, the 3rd I've had, I also had some on tap at DLD when I picked this up. I have 4 more bottles, I'll probably drink one every 6 months, we'll see if and how it develops. If you've never had it it's worth trying. That being said I wouldn't suggest going out of your way or spending a lot to get it, chances are you have much better Stouts already waiting for you at your local bottle shop.

2010 vintage

A. Pours black with a brown/amber edge with a tan creamy head that dissipates to a thin film.

S. Dark fruit, soy sauce, vanilla - not a lot of the coffee and dark roasted flavors I usually associate with big stouts.

T. Dark fruit, soy sauce, lots of sweetness, cherry, vanilla. Complex and interesting, but a bit too sweet for me.

M. Thick, syrupy with little carbonation.

D. Pretty drinkable. Too sweet for me - sweeter than any of the other stouts we tried tonight.

3.67/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter. 2010 vintage.

Appearance - Standard stout appearance. Jet black. The small head is actually surprising, considering the ABV. The sugars are damn near visible as it streaks down the glass.

Smell - Wow. Intense aromas. Coffee, chocolate, booze. The booze actually smells great, despite that it's practically burning my nose. Fruity aromas as well. Not as roasty as I would expect.

Taste - Tingly alcohol throughout. Incredibly sweet. Coffee flavors and chocolate malts through the middle. Slightly bitter in the finish and an alcohol burn that lasts for a few moments. It's a pretty complex flavor, but it's immensely sweet.

Mouthfeel - Pretty well carbonated for a 15% stout. Pretty boozy, too, though. And the sweetness just makes it so hard to drink. Small quantities is the most I can muster with this thing.

Overall - Sure, it's good. But it's so insane that it's barely drinkable. I don't think I'd seek this out again. Either that or I'd need to split the bottle four ways.

2009 Vintage

Appearance- Dark, viscous liquid. Used motor oil color once in the glass. Small brown head that quickly settles to a thin film. Not much for lacing.

Smell- The best thing about this beer. Rich malty, chocolate, fruit that has been marinated in dark rum, and port. A lot of good things are going on.

Taste- Far too sweet to be really enjoyable. The malt is overpowered by fruity sweetness that really harms the flavor. Coffee flavor is non-existent. A little burntness is evident. Cloying sweet aftertaste. I could see this gaining a soy sauce flavor with more age.

Mouthfeel- Thick full body with low carbonation. Silky smooth texture.

Drinkability- Not that high. An 8oz. pour of this would be more than enough. Surprisingly it is the flavor itself that limits drinkability rather than the 13% ABV.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A very dark thick pour with a finger of tan head. Smells very balsamic vinegar like, lots if oak, chocolate, molasses, licorice, roasted grains.
A very sugary sweetness, soy sauce, molasses, oak. Waaaay sweet flavor with a weird salty vinegar like flavor.
Full body, low carbonation, sweet dry finish.
Overall I am not impressed. I've had way better stouts from FFF, and way better local off the shelf stuff.

3.66/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2012, red wax. I feel my raTing was generous. This takes the cake for me personally for most over rated beer I have had. Taste was incredibly disappointing considering this is a once a year, hyped up line up to buy beer.

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

2008 bottle.

Pitch black pour leaves a yellowish film on the glass. Swirls of foam with little bits of bubbles sit atop.

Aroma is of burnt grain, booze, sugar, raisins and other dark fruits.

Dark Lord is a very, very sweet beer. There's some great flavor in there, but it's just entirely too sweet for me to consider it world-class. Loads of dark fruit and coffee notes are a positive, but there's entirely too much burnt sugar and booze to push the sweetness over the top.

Very thick, viscous drinker. Need to rinse your glass, and mouth, at least twice after having Dark Lord. I love the texture, but this beer is just much too sweet to be very drinkable.

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2012 bottle, red wax. Review is from notes. Enjoyed on 9/8/2012

The beer pours a super thick and viscous texture, jet black in color with milder brown hues when struck by the light. A dark brown head makes a small appearance, thick tight bubbles, looks fantastic, but vanishes almost immediately, and at 15% it's not unreasonable, but I do wish it stuck around longer. A thin film hangs out on top of the beer and amasses around the rim of the glass. No lacing to speak of. The aroma is extremely sweet, with molasses, chocolate malts, licorice, anise and subtle tones of coffee, but the sweetness really takes over this aroma. The flavors are also very sweet, but there is more roast now than when it was served fresh. Molasses, licorice, lots of sweet chocolate, alcohol is present, there is some creaminess to this beer as well and the sweetness isn't a bad thing in that regard, roasted coffee does come out in the end, a big element that was missing fresh. Hints of charred chocolate and dark fruits are also beginning to show signs of life. The body is perfect, huge, rich, viscous and spot on for a massive RIS.

Verdict: It's a bold RIS and at 15% takes no prisoners. I ragged on this beer fresh in 2011 and again in 2012, but it's starting to come around and in 2 years, this will be great. 2009 is tasting extremely good right now and while it may be at it's peak, there is no doubt that this beer is well made and worth seeking out, but I'd have to recommend that you try it at various stages in it's life before making a snap judgement about it's merit.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours pitch black with no head. Gurgles into the bottom of my snifter.

On the nose is cherries an dark fruits. Dark roast malts, bitter chocolate and hints of char and alcohol. I see why people are saying soy sauce. I definitely pick that up on the nose as well.

Taste is cherries, sweet molasses, sweet and dark malts. Dark fruits, sugar, char, a hint of vanilla. Very very sweet. Sweet to the point that its almost not drinkable. Wow. And again, definite soy sauce on the after taste. Very interesting. The more I drink and smell the more soy sauce begins to come out.

Mouthfeel is huge and chewy. One of the thickest stouts I've ever tried. Massive, massive, massive.

This beer isn't worth the hype at all. It's decent at best. Very very sweet but the soy sauce flavor and smell really ruined it for me. I think going to DLD really ups the ratings for a lot of people with the experience involved but oh well. Try it if you can.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

For Raul's 500th, he finally did it: 2013 Dark Lord.

A bit syrupy and fairly sweet, Raul is thinking more like Dark Grandma than Dark Lord. But nah, it's not THAT sweet.

A bit choclatley, a bit, um, sweet... Yeah. It's not a bad beer, it's just that no one in their right mind should chase it, or stand in line for it for that matter.

Just above average.

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a goblet.
2010 vintage

A: Opaque black color with a peripheral ring of beige bubbles. No lacing remains on the glass.

S: Toasted brown sugar, slightly spirituous bourbon, syrupy dark chocolate, tannic vinous fruit, and savory teriyaki sauce.

T: Begins very sweet, with rustic treacle, whiskey reduction, and aggressive carbonic acidity. The middle sees a decline from some of the excessive early sweetness as roasted malt stands out more on its own. Other layers emerge, including bitter chocolate, vanilla, copper, dried plums, and cola. Acidity finally clears out during the earthy and woody finish that is also joined by licorice as the beer warms. Alcohol casts a boozy shadow throughout the flavor profile, and lingers on the palate.

M: Thick viscosity, heavy and acidic on the palate, with low carbonation.

D/O: This popular imperial stout displays a host of appropriate features, yet none stand out as really being superior or defining in a positive way. Despite the hype that surrounds it this beer is relegated to second tier status, with the largest offense committed by the abundant acidity that is tasted and felt. It suggests a particularly naughty version of Dr. Pepper--a sort-of highball prepared with bourbon and a dash of Hershey's syrup. Considering the amount of effort (and perhaps cash) required to land this beer, it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%

White wax 2009 bottle. Thanks to Heater for the trade - first time trying Dark Lord! Served in a snifter.

A - Pours like a black hole. Light does not escape. Dark, slick oil, minimal rich crema, hot chocolate head, tight lace.

S - Dark bitter chocolate. Raisins, port, fruit cake. Slight soy?

T - Sweeet, like sugar cupcake icing. Sweet tobacco, like an unlit Swisher Sweet. Molasses, but don't taste any coffee.

M - thick and viscous - coats mouth, yet slick too and frothes on tongue.

O - Hmmm....been waiting waiting waiting to try this beer, patiently cellaring since I traded with Heater in the Spring. Over worked my expectations; not as blown away as I was hoping to be. Sickly sweet. Lot to drink by oneself. Not sure if '09 is 15%, doesn't say on bottle but does not feel like 15%. Glad I tried it.

3.6/5  rDev -15.9%

Ok. Here we go... been waiting to try this for a long long time. Poured into my most trusted large, bold red wine glass.

Vintage 2011

A- Pours a dark black color with very no head. Small groups of bubbles in the center of my glass. Some dark brown almost ruby hues on the edges. Attractive, but not the best looking imperial stout out there.

S- A very boozy aggressiveness on the front followed by brown sugar, molasses, black licorice, dark fruits, sweet port, lots of smokey, roasty, aroma. Then that alcohol burn comes back and fades away into Belgian candy. Smells young, but I expected that...

T- Super sweet on the tongue. Brown sugar, maple syrup, fine port, vanilla, boozey, more sugar. Its definitely a complex stout but way too sweet.

M- Appropriate for the style, though ive heard that it was more thick than this one is. Appears to be flat in the glass but has good carbonation on the tongue.

O- A great imperial stout and i would say that it wasnt as good as the hype, however its not fair to judge a fresh beer that is supposed to be aged. Above average but not mind blowing, very glad i got to try this fresh and have more in the cellar to age. I am also looking forward to trying different vintages of this beer.

3.59/5  rDev -16.1%

A - Pours fairly dark, but definitely not the darkest imperial stout out there. Small tan head.

S - Pretty bad. I get a weird olive and soy sauce mixture dominating it.

T - Luckily, the taste is much improved. I get a lot more dark fruits and a bit of roast. Way toned down on the soy sauce that killed my nose.

M - Possibly the best part about this beer. The 15% is nowhere to be found. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

O - It's a strange beer. I've never hated the smell on a beer so much and liked the taste as much as I did. I wouldn't seek this out though. Not worth the price or the trade value in my opinion.

2010 - Green Wax into snifter

**TO NOTE** my boy Robert (rfraga77) is the MAN for leaving this bad boy behind for me during his trip from Indiana to SF. Awesome Beercation! Don't hate me for not giving this "A" status...

A - Pitch Black with a better than expect 1' finger head from an agressive pour. Agressive swirs bring it back up better than one would expect also at the ABV - No lacing to speak of however.

S - Sweet Chocolate, soysauce, dark fruits, Port wine and alcohol fumes...almost as powerful as one would expect at 15% ABV. The roastiness becomes apparent but you really have to look for it. Belgain Quad characteristic comes out in the nose as well but you know this is a stout first and foremost.

T - Follows nose - lots of dark fruits with the chocolate. It's a sweet stout as many before have mentioned but not nearly so as I was led to believe from other reviews. Port characteristics there mid-palate. The sweetness actually works well with this beer. It's definatley still hot and now I'm getting that Soy-sauce others have detected. Not in a bad, or a good way. Feeling the burning in my stomach and back of the throat. Funny, I enjoyed this stout better more chilled than I did inbetween cellar and room temp, which is where I usually more enjoy my stouts.

M - Not thin but thin for 15% ABV Stout. A sipper for sure. Lacking in this dept as I would have liked a creamier or more silky body / mouthfeel. Carbonation is spot on though. Good.

O - Good big boozy stout with a lot of hype behind it. This beer still needs another 2 years I'd imagine. Great Novelty stout and I'm very appreciative I finally was able to try it but worth the hype? Not for me. Kind of a hot mess of a stout. To each their own.

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle from a Sat., 12/20/2014 Better Beer Authority Bottle Share (thanks, Richard H..), 2014 vintage (blue wax), poured into a *** 2014 "Holiday Extravaganza" snifter glass, drank over 15 minutes

Vintage 2011 - yellow wax

A: Pours dark mahogany brown. Little mocha head falls quickly leaving a simple, oily surface. Excellent clarity, actually surprisingly thin appearing with light passing through a full pour, a bit disappointing. No lacing. Surprised there was no head given the description on the bottle bragging about the head quality/quantity.

S: Green apples, bacon (oddly, but cool), caramel, woods, vanilla, anise, licorice. Dark molasses and sweet malts. This smells really interesting and actually keeps me intrigued as the beer warms.

T: Sweet, cloyingly so, with burnt sugar. Caramels. Sweet malts. Smallest hint of alcohol - which makes it fairly well hidden given the ABV. Toasted rye crisps with honey. The beer takes on some Tawny Porto tones on the finish. Nice.

M: Much thinner than anticipated or adverted on the side of the bottle. Low to no carb. Slick and coated finishing feeling. Resonating.

O: Really a good beer. Hype proof? Far from it. This is the first time I've had DL, and there's been discussion about it being: a) not as good as previous years; b) really much better after it has a year or two on it. I can say this for the beer, it carries a high degree of baggage, and it is difficult for me to be satisfied with a beer that carries sooo much clout and then deviates from it's own description of the beer. I likely won't seek particularly aggressively next year; especially given the exclusive nature of the beer.

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

My 100th review and a very merry christmas for me and certainly a merry christmas to you! Happy Holidays for all those not celebrating Christmas.

2009 Vintage Dark Lord recieved in a trade. So much hype and so much anticipation...here we go!!!

A-deep jet black in color pouring a thinner, bubbly 1 1/2 inches of head that is a dark tan in color, almost a coffee colored head, that dissipates quickly but deepens in color as it does. it leaves almost no lacing on the glass and the head is not exactly what I had hoped.

S-brings a huge nose, molasses and dark chocolate up front but light, tons of sugary fruity sweetness in the back. this smells so sweet.

T-huge flavor in this, molasses and dark chocolate are again faint but try to add some imperial stout quality. the sweetness is insanely high, boozy in back, lots of sugar, caramel, and dark fruits.

M-the mouthfeel is unbelievable, it could be the thickest beer I have had to date. it is extremely thick and chewy, delightfully smooth and creamy, and a perfect balance of carbonation

D-this is way too sweet, a little one dimensional. huge body and nice feel but just so sweet. age helps but still too sweet (did a verticle of 07-10 on 5/22/10, all were too sweet and quite one dimensional, 09 was the worst in everyone's opinion, I like 08 the best but again just candy for grown ups).

09 vintage.

Big thanks to scheid for this bottle.

Poured into stone og glass.

The pour has little head which would be expected. But the beer is surprisingly not that thick or dark as I was expecting.

The aroma is super sweet malt, a bit to sweet for me. Smells if it sits for a while longer it would develop a "nice" soy sauce flavor...

The taste is over powered by the sweetness, some coffee and dark malts come through but not much out side the sweetness.

I am glad I only had a taster of this because I probably wouldn't have finished anything larger.

I know this vintage was a bad year, so I will need to try others and try them. But for now I am very unimpressed with this super hyped brew.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.