Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Yellow wax = 2011 - 15% ABV
Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to bubba87 for bringing this super treat over to our last brewing day.

The beer looks amazing coming out of the bottle! It was poured into a Sam Adams tasting glass. The beer was as thick as motor oil. The beer poured with no head at all. It was super dark brown and completely opaque. As you rolled the beer around in the glass it left a dark film that lasted for about four seconds. It looked sweet and dangerous.

The smell is complex with roasty scents mixed with aromas of dark chocolate, figs, prunes, and a bit of a sherry-like alcohol smell. The taste is a mixture of dark chocolate, raisins, prunes, molasses, and coffee. The alcohol is well hidden for a beer of this strength.

The moutfeel is the fullest I've ever had... nice.

This is very drinkable for a beer of this magnitude. It is definitely a "sipper" - and quite a treat.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

2007 batch according to Nick. Cask conditioned pour at Night of the Living Ales. This is my 3rd sample. It pours a sinister black color with absolutely no light coming through. The very minimal head falls to nothing. This one looks like darkness. The aroma is very nice, with a forceful dark fruity fig, a mild alcohol and a sweet chocolate all in excellent balance. The flavor is strong in the fruity fig with a coffee bitter and very mild chocolate in the aftertaste. As it sits on my tongue, the fruit hits again followed by a nice pine hop. Balance is fantastic. Mouthfeel is thick and smooth with no carbonation. It has a light syrupy character, but it is mild enough that it works well. Overall, this beer is very nice. It blows the 2006 out of the water, hands down. I'm excited to see the bottled version in a few months.

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours like a deep walnut wood stain ... black, viscous, oily ... leaves a brown head with darker brown blotches here and there.

Smell is deep and dark fruit (a toasted plum), dark chocolate and roasty malt. It pulls you in.

Tastes like black. Dark, dark plum, coffee and creamy chocolate that lasts. Alcohol is tucked in well behind all that big malt flavor.

The most remarkable aspect of this beer is mouthfeel. Smooth? Ha! Way beyond smooth. Milky, silky and sexy. Lays on the tounge like a pillow. Truly exceptional.

A very drinkable impy stout. Not for the weak of palate though. Not for the weak of wallet. Very expensive. Still, you've gotta try this stuff.

Many thanks to Hustlemuscle for sharing his bottle.

One final note: If you see this, try it. That being said, I will not likely have this again because of the price. While it is a truly an exceptional beer, there are other, less expensive exceptional beers that I like as well.

2010 edition

A: Clean, deep, black. slight dark tan foam that quickly disappears.

S: Appealing dark roasty malts, brown sugar, low level dark fruits. Is there some faint citrusy hops way in the back?

T: A bunch of dark sweetness come together in the proper mix. The balance to th e sweet is there, but is it the alcohol or earthy hops? I don't understand how this brew balances, but it does. It syrupy but like a great port. Would like to try and save my last five bottles and put some age on them, I think this brew will only get better.

D: This brew is legendary so it's hard to be objective, and to boot these are local brewer heros to me. You've got to give this brew it's credit, it's over the top but it works, and all other Russians must be judged against this. 10,000 folks at Dark Lord Days can't be wrong.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Bow to the Dark Lord! Shared this with my garage drinking buddy as he heads off to Rotterdam for a one night gig. The pour produced head like a married woman. The color was black with a rusty tint. Molasses, and chocolate permeated my senses, as I sipped this truly wonderful concoction. I sensed a mocha, sweet flavor, but balanced nicely with the hops. It was tremendously smooth, making it dangerously easy to drink. I love this beer, and can't wait to drink more of it.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Local BA friend Mike shared a bottle of 2011 while we were home brewing.
Poured into snifter.

Aroma: Powdered hot cocoa, vanilla, and fruity esters (cherry) tantalize.

Appearance: Mocha brown 1/2 finger head disappears relatively quickly to a thin ring of foam around inside of the glass. Dark brown/black body w/ a tinge of cola brown around the edge.

Flavor: My favorite part. I'd been told that this one would be sweet, and that was definitely correct. Lip-smacking, sugary, carmelly, "chocolate-covered cherry" (as Mike correctly stated) goodness, with very subdued dark chocolate flavor and bitterness underlying. Alcohol becomes slightly more apparent as the beer warms, but the 15% is VERY well concealed.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation. Smooth, thick body. Alcohol is warming, but never hot or peppery at any point.

Overall: This one was much sweeter than I'd anticipated, but at no point was it cloying. Quite the opposite--it was so dangerously good that I kept wanting to drink more. Those who don't like sweeter imperial stouts might not like this one, but it's still worth a try. I don't know what their grain bill is, or what kind of yeast they use, but am very intrigued by how they achieve this amazing flavor. Still 5 months left in the year, but I'm gonna be hard-pressed to find a better one than this! Thanks Mike!

2010 Vintage. All this talk about DLD made me open one
Pours a deep black color, with little in the glass you can see a bright red glow to the edges where light shines through, but the full glass is pitch black. A dainty brown head is generous at first but goes away quick with some small bubbles around the edges.
The aromas are nice, caramely and hot, smells like fermented milky ways.
Taste is rich and boozy, very complex with chocolate, caramel, sugar wafer, coffee, leather, and hazelnut. Lots of dark fruit undertones, almost prunish
Taste lingers with a sticky sweet mouthfeel, finishes for 30 seconds +
A delightful beer overall, quite hyped, but worthy of attention. Not as sweet as everyone makes it out to be, very satisfying.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

22 ounce bottle, 2010 vintage (olive green wax). Big thanks to TrebleStauter for this brew, I've been holding onto this for a while now and figured I'd finally try it. Served in a snifter, the beer pours black with a half inch brown head that didn't stay around for too long. Small amount of lacing left on the glass. Very sweet and rich aroma, it smells like dark fruit, chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, vanilla and some molasses. Taste is pretty much just like the aroma, it's very sweet. It tastes like roasted malt, dark fruit (cherries), milk and dark chocolate, vanilla, coffee, molasses and a bit of charred/burnt malt. Mouthfeel/body is full, it's viscous and coating with low carbonation. It's very smooth and extremely easy to drink. The alcohol is pretty well hidden, it certainly doesn't seem like it's 15% ABV. I think this is a very good brew, I'm glad I was able to try it. If you like sweet stouts/RIS's, then this one is a good choice. Definitely recommended!

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

2010 vintage. Thanks to piclee and mikeyv35 for both getting me a bottle of this. Drowning my sorrows after Boston just won the Stanley Cup here in my town.

Appearance. Pours a viscous looking black with a thin, deep brown head that doesn't last long.

Smell. Coffee liquer and molasses. Some caramel and milk chocolate with a hint of plums and cherries.

Taste. Sweet milk chocolate and molasses. Roasty coffee builds to strength in the finish. Alcohol is there, but not offensive in any way. Very full and delicious.

Mouthfeel. Really full, almost thick but didn't find it syrupy. Smoooth, low carbonation. Just a little nice warmth.

Overall. Hard to believe the abv. Very little booze taste considering. Nice and strong but smooth and drinkable. Great at 1 year old and will probably be even better with another couple years on it.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

2010 Dark Lord, here we go..

Pours with a thick, reversing cascading head, just like the bottle says. No shit.

It smells like a burnt-chocolate, burnt-fruits, "overboard" type of stout that you know you wanna take it easy on. Again, the bottle description gives away what you'll smell.

The taste is...what I thought Dark Lord should taste like. As someone who was very unimpressed with the '09, the '10 is a whole new ballgame. The dried fruits, chocolate, coffee and soy flavor come together in a very strict order, its amazing what 3Floyds has done to this beer and I tip my hat to them.

Mouthfeel is a rich, decadent beer that, with a year on it will be a top 5 beer. Even after only a month old, the alcohol is hardly noticable.

Drinkability? If I only had more. This changed my mind on DL, after the drain pour of the '09. It is worth seeking out.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

1 day after fest - release, fresh bottle.

A: dark as night, thin brown mocha head, doesn't last too long.

S: smells like sweet, delicious fruit, plum,dates, apple?

T: Oh man, I love the taste, TASTES like a mingle of delicious fruits, not tart only sweet. Someone said if it tastes a bit like apple that means it is infected, I sure hope not, but I do taste a bit of sweet apple, right from the orchard.

M: mouthfeel is thick, smooth and just right - on - wonderful !

O: I must rate this, fresh - day after release, very high because of the taste and smell. You WILL love this if you love big, sweet, tasty Russian Imperial Stouts.

Cheers to all - ENJOY this great brew !

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Had this as part of the Central New England BA meetup #1.

A: No head for this, it's a headless pile of dark ooze. It's thicker than the thickest thing I can remember. Super catastrophically pitch black, its a technical term.

N: Tons of malts and raisin. Some roast and chocolate follow. I think theres a bit of black patent malt as well. The heaviness doesn't seem to want to come out of the glass as the aroma itself weighs a ton. When I swirl it a little aroma comes out and it seems to glob together like T-1000 after he gets frozen and melted. Some sweetness and bourbon, as well as a little vanilla and oak.

T: Wow, super thick and sweet! Lots of sweet malts, caramel, and brown sugar. Tons of raisin to go with it. Then the bourbon just takes over. Lots of oak and bourbon, as well as some fruity flavors from the bourbon. More molasses, some heat and boozy flavors, thick and creamy. It's actually kinda hot with booze. More raisin in case I didn't mention that yet.

M: Thicker than liquid metal, no carbonation at all.

F: Sticks all over the mouth and weighs it down so much that my tongue almost wants to fall off. The tons of raisin, brown sugar, malts, bourbon, and oak really just take over and never go away. It's also still really sweet all the time. A little too sweet if you ask me. A little more chocolate and roast follow late as well.

Again an amazing stout and 3F nails it on the head. Th eonly complaint is that it is a little too sweet. The taste and heaviness is awesome otherwise. This reminds me a lot of Black Tuesday with a little less booze, a little less sweetness (surprisingly, not sure how I even managed the BT), and less bourbon.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2010 Green Wax. Was incredibly lucky to enjoy a bottle of this in Philadelphia, and now that I know someone who has about 40 bottles, hopefully I'll enjoy more in the future.

A: As the bottle says, this beer has the appearance of motor oil. 2 finger head in the first glass I poured it in, less than 1 finger in the second.

S: Mild alcohol, dark fruits, sweet coffee and chocolate.

T: Sugary as hell! Very sweet, not quite what I expected. Dark fruits slap you in the face - plums and currants blended together for a 'raison-esque' taste. Much lighter than I expected, but this is more than likely because this beer is roughly three years old.

F: Medium thickness, mild carbonation. A near perfect blend. Hopefully I'll have newer and older dark lord to compare this too. Light alcohol taste - not nearly the bite that the 09 BCBS had that I tasted after I enjoyed this. Nearly perfect.

O: Amazing stout. Although I haven't had newer Dark Lords, I can truly say that this one definitely had to have grown with age. I spent way too much on the bottle, but that's what you get when you're buying a '10 from a stranger. I look forward to trying more of this beauty. Definitely worth the try, but not the best stout that I've ever had. 3/4 friends I shared this with agreed that 09 BCBS was better.

08 Vintage.

Jett black pour, like motor oil or black syrup. Small brown lace forms for just a minute, then vanishes. Small oil pach lace remains in it's wake. Nose is full of sweet molasses, raisin, licorice, black currant fruits, mixed with charred malts and chocolate undertones. Very sweet aromas. Thick lush full on body. Huge roasted and charred malts lead in but not acrid in any way. Coffee, chocolate and burnt fruits follow thru mid palate. Small amount of bitterness on the end, with a spicy alcohol kick. This warms all the way down. Finish is long and complex, leaving a melange of coffee, roast, hops,dried fruits, and ethanol spice. A world class sipper for sure.

22oz bomber 2008 black wax vintage

A: poured a jet black that looked like thick oil for the car that had a finger of brown head and great sticky lacing on the glass.

S: a load of ingredients in the nose that consist of roasted malts, chocolate, brown sugar, coffee, and toffee. There are also hints of dark fruits like plums and raisins with licorice in the mixture as well. Very complex aromas to this 15% abv RIS beast.

T: nice roasted malts and chocolate coffee flavors up front with plums, raisins, licorice, brown sugar and anis accents. The alcohol is hidden very well in the mixture of ingredients.

M: full bodied beast with a good amount of carbonation that had a chewy feel on the palate and a sweet and roasty finish.

D: very good beer that lived up to the hype and drank pretty damn great even though it had double digit alchohol content. Tried the 08 and 09 vintages abd have to say that the 08 with a year on it drank excellent. Will definitely try to grab a 2010 version.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

2007 bottle, I've been waiting a while for this one...

Pours like castor oil, by far the most viscous beer I've ever seen in my life, and in spite of having an almost nonexistent brown head, it leaves film and lacing all over the walls of the glass.

The aroma is awesome-- balanced and complexed as hell. Mixed dark malts, molasses, black patent, coffee (and GOOD coffee), vanilla, and a little chocolate. Pretty much everything I liked in the Oak-Aged Dark Lord, minus the bourbon and oak. The smell is rich and hangs around forever. And maybe I'm nuts, but I can't smell alcohol at all.

Opens up with subdued malty sweetness, with strong coffee flavors appearing mid-to-late-palate. Shit, I really need to get me some Intelligentsia coffee. Like now. Molasses background is present but not overwhelming. Dark chocolate shows up late-palate, and blends with the coffee and black patent malt into an awesome mocha flavor that lingers for at least a year. I keep looking for the 13%ABV that's supposed to be in here, but I can't even make shit up about it-- I just can't taste it. After more drinking, I can feel the warmth in my chest, so I know Nick Floyd didn't lowball me, this beer is just THAT balanced-- totally contrary to everything I've heard about previous years.

This beer kicks ass.

Mouthfeel is heavy and oily. Actually, that's a huge understatement-- the mouthfeel is like a barrel of crude, which is fitting since this stuff is e-baying for about the same price.

I guess I have to rate drinkability, but that seems a little unfair-- you can't even buy this stuff, let alone drink it. That said, you can't really drink more than a glass or two of it either. Lack of obvious alcohol helps it out a little bit, though.

But man oh man, will that be a good glass.

NOTE: People have been pissing and moaning a lot about the large amount of sludge in the bottle. I'd say that there's about 2oz. of sediment in a 22oz. bottle (at least there was in this one); not a ton, but it's worth decanting.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

First off, age. This. Beer. Multiple bottles 2009-2014, rating 2012 because it was most recent.

A - Staining motor oil, no head, but a slight halo of khaki bubbles. Makes me think of the motherland.

S - Chocolate, sugar, ash, cherries, umami.

T - Sugar bomb, even with age. Sweet beer, as it should be at 15% abv. Milk chocolate heavy, chocolate spread on toast, cordial cherries, savory and earthy. Very well hidden alcohol.

M - Thick, low carbonation, heavy, syrup that clings to your tongue, but the throat completely clear. Doesn't build, just slides. Heavy aftertaste of hot cocoa, and a nice warming sensation. Perfect for the style.'

O - Top-tier RIS, worthy of hype? No, simply because it is probably the single most-hyped beer in the world right now, outside of Heady Topper or Pliny, and in my opinion, I'd drink Dark Lord over either of those; then again, I am a stout guy.

If you drink this with less than 2 years of age, you're doing it wrong. Even 2 years doesn't do it justice; 4-5 is ideal.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

2006 Vintage with gold dipped wax neck. Received in an in-person trade from AlohaC while on my Honeymoon in Hawaii. Opened to celebrate a job offer in the brewing industry!

Appearance: Very, very black. Ruby and copper shines through but only at the edges when held to the light. Mocha colored head fell away quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Wow. There's an amazing aroma of chocolate, cherries, prunes and molasses. It's a lot like a tawny port.

Taste: Many of the same elements that came through in the aroma come through in the taste. The first thing I noticed was a port-like sweetness followed by prunes, molasses, and chocolate. There's a definite alcohol warming upon swallowing that continues for some time afterwards.

Mouthfeel: Very viscous; full-bodied and smooth. Low carbonation.

Drinkability: I love a good RIS and this one definitely fits the bill. I've been saving it for a special occasion and I'm glad this was waiting. I can't imagine drinking it on a regular basis as it's so much like a port but for today, it's perfect. I hope I can get another soon.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

My 100th review needed to be special... so why not open a Dark Lord! 2010 vintage. 22oz bottled poured into a Brooklyn snifter

A: Dark brown pour that sits in the glass as still as the night. Initially leaves a bit of hazelnut colored head, but this quickly disappears into a thin ring. No lacing to speak of, but has an oily presence on the glass

S: Holy roasty-chocolately goodness. Definitely some alcohol present, but I can easily get past it with all of the other smells. As mentioned, starts with a beautiful combination of roasted and chocolate malts. Milk chocolate and dark fruit. Reminds me a little of Raisinets

T: Initial sharp tinge from the alcohol, but then all the characters from the nose take over. Huge notes of chocolate and roasted malt. Rounded out by dark fruit, subtle hint of vanilla and even some oak/port qualities

M: A tale of two beers here - starts with a warm alcohol burn and a kick from the carbonation, then pulls a 180 and is thick, creamy and silky smooth. Coats the tongue and leaves a warm feeling in the throat

D: What can I say, this beer is incredible. Full of flavor and the alcohol doesn't really get in the way. This is what a RIS should be. Glad I could try this fresh, but I can tell it will be even better with some age. So glad I have another bottle stored away in the cellar

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

2009 Bottle. Finishing off a great week of vacation and following the sampling of many tasty DFH brews with this whale. Pours a black color with a caramel colored head. Has an aroma of dark fruit, vanilla, and coffee, with hints of chocolate. I know its easy to get caught up in the hype with this brew. But as one that has sampled several top IS's, this beer lives up to its hype and high regard. Starts sweet with the dark fruit. Then creamy with a pinch of carbonation in the middle. The coffee is very subdued but gives it that spice right after the creaminess subsides. Then the gentle bitters carry you to the finish. The finish is excellent. The velvety chocolate lingers on the tongue while residue from the dark fruit is still present. Notes of vanilla on the finish as well. The creaminess of this brew is what really makes it so special. Many IS's are this complex but others tend to be more syrupy than creamy. Damn fine beer. Will age the other 2009 another year.

Drank out of a bottle 2010 edition
Pours a black color with a thin head
Smells of sweet malts and prunes I think
Taste like sweet dark fruits slight roasted
The mouth feel is thinner than years past but still is reasonable
It goes down smooth would not want to drink a bottle per person but you could if you wanted to

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

I couldn't possibly state it better than Mr. Floyd, "If you like big stouts, you'll love it. If you like M****r L**e, you're going to hate it." This is one of the biggest of the big stouts. The super-heavy roast of the malt, the typical hop profile you'd expect from any brew baring the name "Three Floyds", and the numerous adjuncts make this both super-complex and single-minded simultaneously. While world-class any day of the week, when aged for a year or more this one will surely astound your senses. If you can find a trade (or better yet make it to Muenster, IN for Dark Lord Day), trading anything excluding a Westy would be a good deal.

Green wax, 2010 vintage.

Pours dead black, small brown head. Smells of roast, caramel, molasses, chocolate, slight coffee, exceptionally rich and not hot for 15%. The beer tastes huge, with flavors of all type pounding your tongue. Rich and smooth, it has a great blend of slight booze, chocolate, molasses, rich malts, and other goodness you would want in an RIS. Way too drinkable, I knocked out most of the bottle myself and then fell asleep.

4.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bomber into tulip glass.

Year is 2014

A- motor oil black with very little lace that turns into lace rather quickly.

S- chocolate and rich coffee. Some soy sauce but its very mild and i really only get that when i smell the actual bottle.

T- tons of coffee upfront. Real, good coffee. Not that fake coffee roastness that you get from some stouts. Then a rick dark chocolate sets in and coats the palate. On the back end there is a mild salty soy sauce flavor but it really works well with this beer. Excellent taste.

M- creamy thick and velvety. Its coats the mouth and goes down smooth like a milkshake.

O- i've had a 2013 dark lord sitting in my cellar for a while now but i didn't want to drink it without drinking a fresh one to compare it to. But this veer is amazing. The flavors bled so well and the coffee makes the beer roasty and the dark chocolate makes it sweet. The muld salty taste reminds me of those chocolate bars that are such and such percent caocao with sea salt. Fantastic. Can't wait to try this beer aged a little bit.

4.66/5  rDev +8.9%

Big thanks for pepsican for the bottle! 2008 black wax bottle for my 300th review!

Pours pitch black with a large frothy tan head, great retention with lots of lacing, wasn't expecting that much head so it was quite a surprise.

Smell has a strong roasted malt aspect, picking up notes of dark fruit, good chocolate presence, coffee isn't as strong but it is there.

Wow, my first impression is how thick this stuff is, very viscous and creamy, the taste is at first very malty and chocolaty, later a slight bitterness comes along with hints of coffee and dark fruit, slightly warming but definitely doesn't get in the way with the alcohol being so well hidden.

I ended up liking this more than I thought I would, I can definitely see why it's so highly rated.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.