2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

2010 - Olive Green Wax
2011 - Yellow Wax
2012 - Red Wax
2013 - Orange Wax

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,829 | Reviews: 1,128 | Show All Ratings:
rye726

'08

Nothing short of one of the best beers in the world. Pours a thick, oilish black with a creamy espresso head. Not the best retention, but exquisite color and dense viscosity more than makes up for it.

The nose has dark malts, fudge, coffee, molasses, anise, caramel, dark pitted fruits and dank hops.

The taste is the perfect blend of sweet, bitter and roasted flavors. Vast complexity yet superb balance.

Possibly the thickest beer I have ever had. So much going on, but nothing out of place. The epitome of artisinal brewing.

11-25-2008 02:30:29 | More by rye726
BMoney575

Sampled on 1-16-09
2008 Vintage
Reviewed from notes.

A: Super oily and black, with a thin head that coates the glass with a thin, yellow layer.

S: Surprisingly old, tons of oak, smoke, anise, and molasses. Thick and crazy complex, probably the best smelling beer ever.

T: Wow. This beer is only 9 months old but tastes like it's been aging for years. Oak all over the place, followed by a sweet, almost fruity quality. Hugely malty and yeasty, big in every way. Different than any other RIS I've had.

M: Low carbonation, thick and syrupy, coats the glass and the palate.

D: Insanely good for such an extreme beer, the flavors are just so addicting.

My first and only 5.0 rated beer.

01-18-2009 21:38:39 | More by BMoney575
razorsdescent

Ive been eager to review/drink this highly touted brew for years now. For christmas my GF presented me with a bottle.

I finally got around to trying it and i was most certainly impressed.

A- It poured thick and dark black with a great chocolate head that looked thick and creamy.

S- Cherries covered in dark belgian chocolate rich and deep aromas abound.

T- Big malty chocolate cake with hints of toffee, coffee clove and dark fruits. a very slight hint of soy sauce but in a pleasing way.

M- Thick and creamy with a flavor that coats the mouth. it really is a dessert in a bottle.

D- If it was possible to give it a 6 out of 5 on this on drinkability i would. there are many stouts out there but none quite like this. i would drink this until the morning light and then just keep on.

Believe the hype on this one it really is an extraordinary beer. if you cant find the dark lord i would however recommend chokolat stout from southern tier as i believe it to be almost as good.

02-13-2009 22:38:23 | More by razorsdescent
Beerkovich

2009 vintage (white wax)

My 40th bottle of Dark Lord in the last 4 years...it's about time I review this beer!

Appearance: Dump it vigorously into a cabernet glass and sit back and admire...wait a second...the bottle description wasn't lying--the incendiary head suddenly materializes out of empty space like a backdraft. Close-ups of this would make for a nice series on the Discovery channel. Markedly less head retention than the '08, as the mocha froth ultimately dissipates to an obsidian reflection of myself. Scary stuff. Looks like India ink, fading to burnt umber when you tip the glass in the light, and glowing red at the edges. Rock it back and forth and watch the wake of tiny red bubbles vanish into the black abyss.

Nose: Beguiling, mysterious, intriguing, beckoning, impossible, singular, addictive...smells like?...?.?..Dark Lord I guess. I like to swirl and smell this beer about 12 times before each sip, because it's a way of trying to understand the staggering complexity of this beer without losing any of it to your belly. It's very dense, and difficult to pull out specific aromas...cool coffee and juicy Floydian hops when it's cold--not unlike the new '09 Behemoth barley wine. As it warms to cellar temperature, you start to get more of the ripe dark fruit--cherry, plum, currant, whatever you want to call it--dipped in chocolate and molasses of course.

Flavor: Not unlike the aroma--tight and complex. This beer reminds me of a slowly braised meat, where a handful of awesome ingredients are slowly cooked together for hours until the end result is so integrated and the whole is entirely greater than the sum of its parts. In past DL vintages, you literally tasted a blast of hops, or coffee, or a metallic tinge, sticky caramel, or blatant cherries....here it's more of a nuanced enigma. And I don't mean this in a bad way. Choco-but-not-too-choco-latey-covered cherry-ish molassified espresso beanery port-like black tea roasted barley balsamic reduction??? Only thing lacking compared to previous vintages is a slight 'char' on the finish...but I don't even care.

Mouthfeel: Better than ever! The quick-fading head made me think they went back to '07 sludge-like texture....but NO! The carbonation is there, in perfect amount. The beer is just as heavy as its reputation now demands, but somehow it's smoother than ever...no sticky brown film on the glass, no mud at the bottom of the bottle, and no lump in your throat after the sip. It has shedded some excess fat. It's lean and trim, but still boasts the muscularity, power, and complexity it always had. Unreal.

Drinkability: You can drink a full bottle of this [slowly] before bed with some good music or a good movie, or you can split it with three friends on the back porch. But since this beer is meant to be sipped, savored, and pondered over, it is not 'drinkable' in the case-race sense. I do think it is perfectly drinkable in terms of its unique velvety texture and its impressive balance of complex flavors, always leaving you wanting another sip, and sad when it's all gone. Can't wait to try this one in a few months, or in 2014.

04-28-2009 05:45:16 | More by Beerkovich
raninator84

A finer Imperial Stout? I know not!

2009 Bottle poured into a thick walled Chalice. Oh how the Czars would envy me.
Pours a deep black profuse sludge as if the Dark Lord himself has awakened from a slumber of centuries past. Already I can smell the scent of deep roasted malts, coffee, smoked embers, and nutmeg. The lacing clinging to the walls of my glass, but sliding ever so smoothly into the depths of midnight, where light ceases and something a bit abnormal begins. The first sip; smooth, chewy and thick. Perhaps this Lord of Darkness plays well with others? A robust hit of roasted chocolate careens my palate confused as to what it wishes to unleash next. A rush of sweet molasses and plum forces its boldness upon my senses. As the ferocity of the sip hits my palate a hint of nutmeg and cherries sneaks in through the back with hops infused in the grain. A strong but short burst of burnt and smoked woodiness ends atop the alcohol, clearly there can be no more. But the taste lingers and finally rests into a roasted smoked chocolate embrace. It's enough to want to follow the Dark Lord into the underbelly, into the darkside, into the grave. And after sampling the elixir of this Demigod, I must pledge my loyalty to he who is the master of the blackest of nights, the overseer of the underworld of sludge, and the purveyor of all that is "not normal". To the Dark Lord.

04-28-2009 06:48:52 | More by raninator84
jim102864

Connecticut

I have never rated a beer so highly. The hype that surrounds it is dead on, my friends. It is New Years Eve, 2009 and I am sipping from a 2008 DL whilest enjoying a roaring fire in my living room in snowy New England. It doesnt get any better than this. The brew: pours thick, oily and dark into my stemmed Leffe Goblet. Having a weak sniffer, I need a big nose (no pun intended) to know i've got something special and I'm so not dissapointed. Dark fruit, raisens, prunes, currents, heavy dark chocolate and molasses all explode from the glass. Deep, dark chocolate, and maybe a hint of coffee with dark molasses sugar. As goes the nose, so goes the taste. Massive and complex, the dark fruit and chocolate bursts all over the pallate and the tongue is coated like heavy maple syrup, only balanced and sweet. This legendary brew boasts complexity like a super computer, yet is so smooth and pleasant to drink. No hop bitterness nor should any be expected, but the alcohol slowly navagates its way past your tongue and down, down, down in a warming yet very evident way. Very viscous and chewy, the mouthfeel is so very warm and inviting. Everything about this brew is warming. I am so fortunate to enjoy something this special in such a special setting. Believe what you've read, and get your hands on DL someday. Cheers everyone and Happy New Year!

12-31-2009 22:07:55 | More by jim102864
revolt914

Colorado

I don't need to go into detail about this beer... it truly does live up to it's hype... I was at a beer tasting today and got a bottle of the 2010 Dark Lord and opened it up and drank a bit and my god... I really haven't tasted anything this amazing. I don't know if this is my favorite beer style or if it's just Three Floyds for being extreme geniuses with beer and flavor. This beer might not be the best thing you've ever had but damn... it truly is the best thing I've tasted to date and I was overly amped to try this and it didn't disappoint and totally lived up to my expectations.

GET THIS BEER AND AT LEAST TRY IT!

10-09-2010 08:24:20 | More by revolt914
oglmcdgl

A 08 bottle into a duvel tulip. Had an 08 on with a year on it with some friends. This one is around 2.5 years old.

A- at first the pour is thinner and clearer then I remember and then it starts the motor oil I remember. A finger or so of dark brown creamy head from a hard pour that settles to a solid ring and a few wisps on top. A good swirl brings the cream right back. The body of this monster is nothing less then pitch black, absolutely and completely. It coats the glass like syrup and slowly sheets off.

S- layer on top of layer of chocolate fudge, cocoa powder, dark roasted coffee, brown sugar. Dark fruits and berries deep in there. A touch of warm booze and molasses Simply astounding complexity.

T- unbaked brownie batter licked off the spoon and wash it down with a glass of half espresso and half hersheys chocolate syrup. That's what we've got on our hands here, and I love it. Over ripe dark berries, with a bit of raisins and dates. Molasses and brown sugar. So roasty and sweet at the same time that it completely works. This is a shocking amount of flavor. Just the faintest bit of heat in the way back that I really enjoy, almost reminds me of a chocolate cordial at times. Long slow roasty finish but a clean one, never over baring.

M- thick doesn't begin to tell the story. Absolutely the creamiest chewiest beer I've ever had but its not to much on the palate. Just the smallest bit of creamy carb starts to build and lifts the liquid into a foam that hits every part of your mouth and coats it for a second then slowly recedes leaving only the faintest memory of the motor oil that was once there.

D- for a beer of this stature and depth to be drinkable would be one thing but for it to be one that is a ease to drink is another. I feel like this vintage is the best I've had of the last three years by a long shot. I've never had a beer like this. Of all the monster stouts out there this one takes the cake. Simply the best.

11-24-2010 03:06:07 | More by oglmcdgl
funkybuddha

I'm not one for reviewing, so all of my reviews will be of beers that I really enjoy. After all, I was taught at an early age that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. I know this doesn't make for interesting critiques but as a brewer I don't believe in criticizing someone's hard work, especially in a public forum where they can't defend themselves!

That being said, this is one of my all time favorites. I've done a few verticals of this one and feel that a year or two on this one, just takes an already perfect beer to another level. How this is 15% is beyond me. While I can feel if after a glass or three, you can't tell while sipping it. The mouthfeel is what I love the most about this brew. Heavenly. You feel like this one can be poured out and cut with a steak knife. Just pure thick, chewy greatness.

This beer gets an ungodly amount of hype that I feel is worth every word.

05-12-2011 22:09:21 | More by funkybuddha
FARGO619

A-Amazing bright jet black color. Little head retention. Like a strong coffee and light mocha head.

S- A lot going here. Love the aroma on this beer. Chocolate, hints of vanilla, subtle cherry.

T- Amazing flavor, very complex. Hits every flavor that you could ever want in a imperial stout. Very heavy in dark chocolate and strong coffee. Great taste...love it.

M- Awesome soft mouthfeel on this one. Went down smooth and the flavor is just amazing.

Not one to look out for as a need to have beer, but one I am sure to want to try again.

Serving type: bottle/22oz.

06-24-2011 14:13:13 | More by FARGO619
1Adam12

Indiana

i was going to wait on a promotion to try this, but ah well, theres always Abacus! I know there are the critics, but this was the best stout I've ever had. Review of the 2010 version, brought to you (me) by bringthebail, and 2011 version, brought to you (me again) by Barwfin. 2010 has HUGE bourbon and coffee notes, 2011 not so huge notes. 2010 big bourbon and malt flavors, plus tons of coffee and a bit of chocolate. 2011 was almost more drinkable, yet not quite as good version but, more coffee in the 2010 and I swear there was banana in the 2011. Both were fabulous, smooth, lightly carbonated, and just downright awesome in mouthfeel. Best beer I've ever had. Lives up to the hype for sure. 2010 was different than 2011, neither was better, just different. No trace of the alcohol content in either version. Both were awesome in there own way. 2010 was more pronounced in flavors. My favorite beer at this point in my life.

Edit: Everybody seems to say "Alcohol" taste, but I swear it was bourbon. It doesn't say bourbon aged, but it's in there.

06-30-2011 21:56:46 | More by 1Adam12
funkyaudio

2011 vintage.
Had on tap the day after DLD 2011

Aromas of leather, tobacco, port, honey and dark fruits. Sweet, super rich and decadent. Palate is dominated by dark fruits and a port like sweetness but with just enough tar and roast to balance. Viscous and oily body. Alcohol only hits you in the chest, overall for 15% this is incredibly smooth. A fantastic RIS, didn’t disappoint

08-04-2011 14:00:57 | More by funkyaudio
jcartamdg

Pours a thick pitch black appearance with a two finger mocha head, looks amazing! Aroma of chocolate, coffee, sweet fruits and alcohol. Reminds me more of a port than a beer but it's a good thing that I love ports. Taste follows the nose yet sweeter, I am amazed by the complexity of this beer as it warms it gets even more complex.

09-05-2011 03:16:21 | More by jcartamdg
Bowman2001

Thick, viscous pour. Nearly no head. Smells boozy, sweet (vanilla, chocolate). I don't get as much roast and coffee in the smell as with other stouts. That's fine with me. The taste is fantastic. So much to process. Sweetness that seems to suggest chocolate, vanilla, molasses. Unlike many stouts, the roast is hidden. For that, I think this beer stands out a bit to me. Some licorice in there too. Yum. The booze will get you if you drink too fast but it certainly does not overtake the beer. It is well hidden, which is impressive for 15%. I love this beer and Dark Lord Day.

10-02-2011 23:20:25 | More by Bowman2001
Stockfan42

2010 Green Waxed Bottle.

Pours a deep dark brown color that is almost black with a thin laced brown head.

Smell is heavy in coffee, chocolate and cherrys with some hints of other dark fruits and a slight roastyness. A little heat escapes the nose, but not too much.

Taste is very sweet. Coffee and chocolate dominate in a molasses like sweetness with hints of cherry, raisins and figs. A slight bitterness lingers in the back.

Mouthfeel is pretty much perfect. Chewy with a velvet like body and it goes down very smooth. Incredibly drinkable and not too much heat either.

Overall this has got to be one of the best beers I've ever had. Taste is great, smell is great, mouthfeel is probably the best for any stout I've ever had. I highly recommend this to RIS lovers and beer lovers alike.

10-21-2011 21:35:45 | More by Stockfan42
Mindabyss

2011 Poured into snifter

A: Pitch black, 1 finger mocha head. Pours just like oil. Decent carbonation. Just What an Imperial stout should be.

S:Very, Very sweet chocolate right away almost like chocolate covered cherries. Great roasted coffee, alcohol tingles nostrils a lil. A small hint of fig.

T:Chocolate, vanilla and cherry hit first thing. Coffee notes are absolutely perfect. The alcohol is not nearly as present as I thought it would be at 15 abv.

O:Perfect!!!! Just what I look for in an Imperial Stout. Chocolatey, coffee, goodness!

12-08-2011 03:13:09 | More by Mindabyss
sbricker

First review, favorite beer. Doing a bit different a review since I'm not the best at tossing over used, under accurate tasting adjectives at every category of the beer. My brain just doesn't work this way.

Did a vertical tasting.

2008 - The best of the bunch, this version had the best balance of mouthfeel and flavor. Thick, but in that good way. I remember this version fresh being soy saucy. That is gone and perfect balance for an RIS is left.

2009 - This was great but not as perfect as the 08. Slightly thinner in both flavor and feel. This version was better fresh. It came out perfect, with the coffee part nailed to perfection. I wish I drank all my 09's in 09. That was the perfect beer for me then and what I still think of as the best Dark Lord I've had to date.

2010 - This is drinking close to the 08 with the exception of roastyness. It's aslo thinner but the sweet is just right in this one. I remember this being a little hot fresh. That's all gone now. Age has done it well, but it doesn't seem to need more.

2011 - This is a new version of Dark Lord. The coffee is more forward than years past and different. It's more iced coffee than espresso. The beer is also much thinner than before. Fun fresher for the new coffee, but I kind of want this beer to age back into more of the thicker, sweeter, more balanced Dark Lord I know and love. still amazing.

Hope this is an okay review for my first stab at one.

12-10-2011 14:26:21 | More by sbricker
thydarkprevails

2012 vintage poured into a Duvel tulip at 46 degrees. Pours a midnight oil black. 2 inch beige head quickly shrinks to nothing. Lacing is minimal. Aroma is dark fruit, plum, raisin, molasses, mild pine, maple syrup, toffee, and caramal. Taste is very sweet. Candi sugar, dates, raisins, molasses, toasted malts, raw earth in the back of your mouth, dark baking syrup, faint grass, and roasted barley. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. There is hardly any evidence of alcohol, which is amazing for a 15%abv. Awesome beer. So complex and amazing. I cannot wait till i try this over the next few years in my cellar.

05-07-2012 14:37:18 | More by thydarkprevails
menkros

Had the 2012 dark lord red wax bottle. It was the first time I'd had a Russian imperial stout, and I wish I could have it more often than 4 per year. I agree with a lot I reviews on this beer. It does have a motor oil consistency going down. It is dark as night with a light head and carbonation. Tastes like cofffee , chocolate, and the alcohol content is very well hidden. I live 40 minute from the brewery and am currently moving to California. I will definitely be flying back next year for my 4 beer allotment.

06-04-2012 03:56:34 | More by menkros
CraftEyeDoc

A group of friends and I enjoyed a Dark Lord vertical, 2005, 2007, 2010 and 2012 on 1/13/13. I have had the 2012 multiple times from Dark Lord Day and this beer has definitely changed in just a years time but age does some serious delicious things to this beer. Each bottle was poured into taster glass and sips of each were taking going down the line. The sweetness assoc with DL was more apparent as you moved from 2005 to the 2012.

Some my think that 2005 is too long to let this beer age but I don't think so. All the sweetness was all gone. The beer had very subtle but complex flavors. Def large hints of oak and slightly more acidic. Often I would come back to this and taste something new hence why I said the very subtle nature of this 7.5 year old DL. Then moving to the 2007 and 2010... What can I say but these beers were an amazing example of a RIS. The last time I had the 2012 was in Nov and in 2 months this beer has changed for the better. Slightly more mellowed sweetness and the other flavors shine a lot more.

Overall: One heck of an evening and was so glad to be apart of this opportunity. After tasting this broad spectrum of DL I would say the def spot for this beer is 2-4 years of aging. The sweetness dies out some and takes a back burner and lets the complexity of tastes shine even more.

01-16-2013 13:34:47 | More by CraftEyeDoc
warrenout330

4.99/5  rDev +16.3%

Props to patchmaster, that man is the true meaning of a BA.... thanks bud

A- pours a black night .... 10-30w oil from a red wax bottle ... very small khaki colored head... minimal lacing to the glass

S- sweet dark fruits, molasses is heavy dominant ... super sweet. I get some Smokey sweet teriyaki jerky....faint chocolate notes take a seat in the back

T- a complex slurry of molasses, smoke, dark fruits... I get a crazy smoked soy sauce flavor on the tongue... after it sits the chocolate and coffee show them selves

M- this is the kicker to me.... its almost like a illusion ... the molasses plays a huge part in this beer... the mouth feel's full of body and fullness.. but its also comes off as light and silky... almost flawless

O- very impressed, lives up to its name like no other... this will be awesome with about 2-3 yrs of age.... I'll will make it to d day for the rest of my life now

02-03-2013 03:47:56 | More by warrenout330
OldFrothingSlosh

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Presentation: 22oz. grim-graphic label bomber. Dipped in red wax.

Appearance: Upon pouring this vile-looking liquid into my goblet (where's a good skull when you need one, to properly enjoy a beer like this?), I honestly thought it was trying to suck the light into it. Dark-as-night inky blackness in color, there is a wafer-thin layer of tan-colored head that tries to avoid being consumed by the evil upon which it is perched. Rings of this lace try to escape by clinging to the glass.

Smell: Ambrosia for the olfactories. A complex myriad of aromas. Freshly roasted coffee. Baking chocolate. Toffee. 151 rum-soaked dark fruits. Bonfire smoke.

Taste: Quite simply one of the best beers I have tasted and more than likely ever will. Elephant-like in size, it hits your palate full-force, wrecking havoc with a chco-coffee blast. Nothing gets past this once you've tasted it. Cameo appearances by more dark fruit, some bitter hops, toffee, and charred wood. Finishes with a long-lasting (and smile-inducing) bitterness that makes you crave another hit of this liquid addiction.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: As big a beer as you'll ever find. This is simply gargantuan in mouthfeel. Super-thick, super-creamy. Words fail to describe just how incredibly thick this beer is. Drinkability is also top-notch. There is no way I would have known this was a hefty 13% ABV. It's woven into the tapestry of flavor with the skill of an artist.

Notes: I am deeply indebted to CreteMixer for this bottle. Just an epic tasting and one that I'll remember and cherish for quite a long time.

07-28-2004 04:38:02 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
Boilermaker88

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Well, tonight I finally succumbed to the Dark Side, er, I mean Dark Lord. I finally took off the red wax seal and popped the cap off a 22oz bottle of Three Floyds Dark Lord, 2004 vintage. Rewarded with a soft "phfftt", I gently poured about 80% into a large snifter before getting, quite literally, chunks of beery sediment.

Appearance: holy crap, I've never seen a beer this damn thick! It oozed out with all the consistency of light crude. Inky, impenetrably black. A dense, compact espresso colored head perched on top briefly before shrivelling down to a tiny ring. Lace? No. BEER clung to the walls. Unbelievable.

Smell: very sweet aromas of dark fruits and a solid jab to the nose from the alcohol. Dense coffee notes, blackened and charred marshmallows, prunes, and port wine. Smell is simply amazing.

On the first pull, Dark Lord invades every nook, cranny and fold of the mouth, slathering everything with the thickest, fullest brew I've had pass my lips. Initially sweet with raisins, plums and dates. Not for long, though. An onslaught of espresso beans, dark bitter chocolate, and ages-old, run-through-the-filter-five-times coffee. Then comes the right cross of alcohol that's just mind-bending. Don't get me wrong; I love it. Finishes with a blast of herbal hops. The taste of bitter herbs and scorched malts lasts long after each sip is gone. Un-effin'-believable!

Well, I'm down to my last couple sips of the sludge that's grudgingly leaving the glass. I wish I had a giraffe's tongue to get every speck of beer outta the glass. Hell, I might put this glass back on the shelf dirty just so I can smell it tomorrow. Dark Lord is seductively smooth and lush and so complex. The epitomy of imperial stouts. Huge thanks to jables for sending this bottle my way January, 2004.

05-27-2005 05:59:00 | More by Boilermaker88
Wasatch

Utah

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Thanks goes out to hero27 for this brew.

22oz. Bomber
Silver Top
2007 Vintage

Poured into my Corsendonk Christmas Ale tulip a thick clean/clear black color, some carbonation, nice little fizzy dark tannish head, only some tiny islands left over. The nose is of slightly roasted sweet malts, hops, toffee, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, and some caramel. The taste is very nice indeed, consisting of very sweet thick/oily slightly roasted malts, slight hops, licorice, toffee, slight coffee, vanilla, and caramel. The alcohol is present at first sip then the sweetness comes into play, leaves a nice warm feeling in the throat. Full body, a pretty complex RIS. Very drinkable, I really like this brew, I say it lives up to the hype for sure, highly recommended. Not too much difference in the vintages. Thanks again Eric.

Thanks goes out to CRJMellor for this brew.

22oz. Bomber
Gold Top
2006 Vintage

Poured into a chalice a thick clean/clear black color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy dark tannish head, only some tiny islands left over. The nose is of slightly roasted sweet malts, hops, toffee, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, and some caramel. The taste is very nice indeed, consisting of very sweet slightly roasted malts, slight hops, licorice, toffee, slight coffee, and caramel. The alcohol is present at first sip then the sweetness comes into play, leaves a nice warm feeling in the throat. Medium body, a pretty complex RIS. Very drinkable, I really like this brew, I say it lives up to the hype for sure, highly recommended. Thanks again Craig.

04-21-2007 00:32:53 | More by Wasatch
Bierguy5

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

2006 version, 22 oz. bomber. Big thanks to BA mcallister for sharing this one with me, and not waiting until my birthday to do so!

Pitch black in color. Nothing else. Seriously, this is a black hole of a beer, no edges, shades or hues of anything else, just black. Period. Great looking dark tan head. What a looker! Great contrast between the beer and the head. Head retention was ok, especially considering the size. A few spots of lace.

What a nose. Aromas practically leaping out of the snifter. Dark chocolate, fudge, espresso, dark fruits, black cherries, currants, mocha, the list seems to go on and on. I can't imagine a beer having a better nose than this. Alcohol is also present in the nose, particularly after it warms up a bit.

Taste starts out with a big chocolate, fudge flavor. Lots of dark fruit follow, then some espresso. The espresso or coffee flavor seems to linger on the palate the longest. Some warming alcohol present.

The impressive thing to me is that this drinks almost like a milkshake. So full, thick and creamy. Low carbonation. I thought that this really lives up to what everyone says. Such a thick, rich stout. Hard to imagine many beers being better.

07-20-2007 13:22:45 | More by Bierguy5