Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

2011 - Yellow Wax
2012 - Red Wax
2013 - Orange Wax
2014 - Blue Wax

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros

lovelyallen, Oct 26, 2012

sdpaul, May 08, 2013

barkingelectron, Jan 30, 2012
1.2/5  rDev -72%

2009 bottle acquired via trade

A - Motoroil like thickness that clinged to glass when swirled, small head

Smell - like burnt peat moss, totally turned me off

Mouthfeel - undercarbonated and way too thick and viscous

Taste - I'll take someone's else descritiption because it right on "like chewing on brownie batter", more like burnt brownie batter

Overall - Terrible and I don't understand the hype but to each there own. I could hardly get this beer down.

dwaz, May 15, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -70.8%

2008 vintage bomber at cellar temperature, poured into a snifter. Massive thanks to Mauerhan for hooking me up with one of the "big boys" in only my second trade.

Pours dark as hell, but with hardly any head and even less lacing. A thin skim of tan disappears quickly, leaving a ring of isolated bubbles. No lacing at all, but it leaves "legs" like a big cabernet.

Massive prune, dark fruit and raisin aromas. Incredibly boozy. Exceedingly sweet. Hints of tobacco and sherry fight to make themselves known, but the fruity/boozy combo dominates. No burnt or chocolatey malt?

OK, obviously I'm in the minority here, but this stuff tastes terrible. Not "disappointing". Not "meh". Not "somewhat lacking". Terrible. The overwhelming raisin/prune/alcohol combo is joined by additional sweetness- toffee, molasses, chocolate-covered cherries. Lots and lots and lots of sweetness. To a much smaller degree, I get some smoke/leather/tobacco, which together create an effect that's very reminiscent of soy sauce when paired up with all that tangy/sweet stuff. No significant dark/burnt flavors, pretty much nothing that screams "badass imperial stout", or even "mediocre imperial stout". Joins Creme Brulee in an elite group of beers that have made me contemplate the morality of a drain pour.

On the positive side, man, what an incredibly thick and chewy body. It's coating and clingy like few other beers I've tried. Almost zero carbonation, though, which only serves to accentuate all that sweetness.. If there were some roasted flavors lingering, I could somewhat overlook the flatness, but all that lingers is sweet/tangy raisin and plentiful alcohol. Well, that and the temporary urge to swear off beer for a while.

Overall impression: Not a beer I'd seek out again. I realize that rarity/hype/degree of difficulty in obtaining can obscure objectivity to some extent, but I'm astounded that this has an A+ rating with almost 600 reviews. A complete mess, IMO.

PDXHops, Oct 21, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -70.8%

Howlader, Jul 27, 2014
1.45/5  rDev -66.1%

2009 vintage into a glass. I've gotten so many bottles of this (big thanks to busch03, Hexxed, badbeer, and tprokop7 for making that happen), but I keep giving or trading them away. Finally got a chance to try one for myself. Split with my girlfriend, who loves sugary sweet RISes.

First rating: D- (2.1)

---

Second bottle (2009) opened to split with a buddy. He loved it, but it was even more abysmal than I remembered. Scores have been downgraded.

A: Pours a pitch motor oil black in the glass. No edge penetration or browning. The head is a limpid half-finger of dark brown bubbles, with maybe 30 seconds of retention before vanishing completely. No lacing down the glass. The second pour out of the bottle was even more viscous, and left tons of oily-looking residue down the glass when I swirled it. The final pour (don't scroll down, you'll spoil the surprise!) produced some sludgy sediment that scared the hell out of me. Is this beer half solid?

S: Dark fruit is heavy on this one -- lots of plums, some dates and a small berry character that I couldn't identify. Molasses was very heavy, and so were brown sugar, roasted malt, and chocolate. Couldn't smell any coffee. Could use some contrast... this was over the top sweet.

T: It's like someone poured syrup into my mouth. Lots of plum and date on the initial taste. Mid-taste is mostly brown sugar, molasses, and chocolate. Roasted malt, burnt raisin, burnt caramel, and again plum on the finish, with a boozy burn that reminded me of a cheap, syrupy wine. I could detect coffee bitterness underneath, but the flavor was Sweetness turned up to 11. In small quantities I might give this a 3.5 to 4, but even splitting a bomber 3 ways was too much.

M: One of the thickest, most full-bodied brews I've ever had. I swirled it in my mouth and it seemed to sludge up my teeth. But the carbonation was TOO low, even for an RIS -- just a hair above flat. Detracted from the flavor and allowed the beer to become too syrupy and mouth-coating. Also, there's a boozy burn as I mentioned above. There's no subtlety or craft to this beer at all. It's like being sledgehammered with malt and booze. Christ.

D: And the coating, by the end of the bottle, was just disgusting. My girlfriend and I split the first glass, and she was done about 20% of the way in. I gave 1/3 of the second glass to my buddy, who echoed the "too sweet" comments I had bouncing around in my head. I finally drizzled some on vanilla ice cream and tried to consume it that way, but I couldn't handle the sugar. Wound up pouring out the last 20% of the bottle. Could not finish. Undrinkable by definition.

I hate to be "the guy" that pours out Dark Lord, but what a cloying, syrupy, sickly sweet mess this beer was. I just could not bring myself to go any further into the bottle. I really can't give this anything above an F considering that it's so expensive and I had to drainpour TWO bottles (in other words, the "possibly bad bottle" excuse doesn't apply). What a trainwreck.

Arbitrator, Aug 04, 2009

cyde, Jul 26, 2014

ScrimshawFan, Nov 19, 2011

Marcados, Feb 25, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -65%

Pours black in the glass with a frothy khaki head that has good retention looks mildly viscous leaving spotty lacing

sweet,coffee chocolate

EXTREMELY sweet kinda of a mess cant really find coffee,chocolate,or anything here

Mouth feel like a melted milk shake

Overall this beer wa god awful extremely over hyped and I just don't understand it. IMO the trade value here is for a bud lights platinum

rtaps, Jun 07, 2012

HugeBulge, Oct 17, 2013

Scelous, May 21, 2014

JReites, Nov 05, 2013

michaeljstraub, May 09, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -56.8%

My last review was deemed more of a rant than a review

(I don't know. I realize this might be sacrilege but this beer was gross. I had it on tap at the brewpub on the wednesday after darklord day and I have to say that I did not enjoy it. This was like fermented prune juice or something...I love stouts, porters and dark beer but this was without a doubt the most disappointing beer I have ever drank. Don't go out of your way for this.)

So I'll try to play be the rules this time:

Appearance: Solid Black and thick as hell (great looking stout)

Smell: Mixture of spoiled prune juice and nail polish remover

Taste: Something is wrong with this. Funky, spoiled and possibly poisonous are my best adjectives for this.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied stout

Drinkability: I finished it only out of obligation.

Let me add to my original review that I LOVE almost every FFF beer that I've tried and think their brewpub is one of the greatest in the midwest. Unfortunately, this beer is not my cup of tea.

philberinghele, May 03, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -54.9%

2011 Dark Lord Imperial Stout picked up by my son at Dark Lord Day and shared with friends during a night of beer and boardgames.

It poured jet black with red highlight when the wine glass was held up to the light. A gentle pour yielded a subtle head of tight tan bubbles. The nose was full of molasses, toasty malts, raisins and alcohol. First sips yielded a strange vegetal taste . It is very sweet with hints of dirt, and vanilla—maybe soft fruits. As it warmed, alcohol became more dominant with warming sherry notes and a hint of coffee. Full and round mouth feel. I was prepared to like this more than I did. I am sure it would become more rounded with age.

ruppert2p, May 05, 2011