Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Maroon wax = 2015 15% ABV
Reviews: 1,217 | Hads: 3,939

From notes

2014 Blue Wax Vintage

Appearance: It has a nice jet black color to it. It has a nice thick tan head that dies down moderately and leaves some lacing.

Smell: Wow, the aromas definitely give out hints of sweet roasted malts, milk chocolate, vanilla, rich molasses, dark fruit and faint leather.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has loads of roasted malts, decadent chocolate, some vanilla, rich molasses, faint coffee, dark fruit and hints of leather.

Mouthfeel: It has a low carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied by great flavors and aromas. It's extremely sweet and rich but flavorful and delicious at the same time. One of the best RIS I've ever had.

Three Floyds Brew Co.
Dark Lord

L= 4.5 Thin quick dispersing dark brown head. Flash! It's gone. It pours like you scraped the tar off of a black top highway road going to or coming from hell. Extremely viscous with one of the most incredible display of lacing I've ever seen.

S= 4.5 Dark roasted coffee beans, Caramelized caramel, heaven, fig, dark cherry....I could go on forever. The smell is almost indescribable. I feel the smell is above me at this point of my beer tasting journey.

T= 5.0 First sip, the beer touches your lips and it immediately disperses to your entire mouth. Your mouth is coated with this ...this thing. This beer has taken over my mouth and coated it with its fruitful seed. This beer made me its b^&%$ and I didn't even put up a fight. Sweet molasses, fig, caramelized caramel, figs, coffee, and a light tart dark cherry finish. Right at the middle of the tasting you get a tingle on your tongue from hops and a light alcohol burn. This is the best imperial stout I've ever had in my entire beer drinking life thus far.

F= 5.0 Very chewy, thick, extremely creamy, oily feel. The beer it's self seems to suck to your mouth like a magnet.

D= 5.0 this is a beer. This is the highest I've ever rated a beer and I do not give out high ratings often. I have yet to find a beer that actually compares to this. There is just so much going on in this beer that I can't possibly do it justice. I have been into micros for about 3 years now. I have tried approx. 350 beers ranging from hopping frog bourbon barrel, KBS, storm king to hopstoopid. This is the most complex beer I've ever had. I feel as if I had tried this beer any earlier in my beer career, I would not have liked it. I don't believe I would have understood it and I still don't believe I fully understand it now there is just that much going on. I can not wait to try this beer again after 6 months from maybe even a year to see how my palate has advanced. If god were to drink beer, this would be it. Special thanks to Sean for being a lazy a&* and Dan, It was an adventure and you should have went to jail, but you got it, you did it! Thanks guys

Review 100!

Package: 22oz. crowned brown bottle with red wax covering. Frazetta-like label depicts a horned, Norse warrior waving a halberd over a pile of skulls. Some Cyrillic on the side of the label gives the words for Beer, Dark, Warlord, Imperial, Russian and Strong. No ABV or date information listed, but 2004 is the first year for DL bottles. Some gibberish probably cribbed from someone who doesn’t know much about beer... ;^)

Cost: Secured via trade

Presentation: Tough decision. Chose a Riedel Hermitage glass because it was similar to the Port glass, but larger. 55º

Appearance: I’ll try to limit the superlatives, as better BA’s than I have covered them. Cloaks itself in tenebrous, true “absence-of-light” black cerements. Generates quite a decent, very dark head for such a viscous, alcoholic beer that resolves down to a skim. Coats the side of the glass like blackstrap molasses.

Smell: No surprises here. The glass funnels a concentrated cone of volatile alcohol, Indonesian coffee, Mexican vanilla, and cocoa beans from Madagascar and Venezuela straight to your brain. I begin to fear that consuming this might well cause brain damage!

Taste: I needn’t have worried! The strong cocoa, coffee, and alcohol elements are couched in that wonderfully malty matrix. As with Dreadnaught, 3 Floyds incorporates some faintly gentle sweetness to counterbalance the barrage of strong, bitter flavors. This sweetness is like a combination of Banyuls and artisanale balsamic vinegar reduced to something nearing the density of mercury. Joining these elements are a hoppy spiciness similar to what I’ve perceived in warm Dreadnaught, some astringent nuttiness, and eau-de-vie fruitiness. The finish is warm and lingering.

Mouthfeel: And I thought the Expedition Stout was thick! I think this is thicker than the Shell Helix they put into racing Ferraris (and almost as expensive). In the glass, this moves like the oil in those 70's wave machines, coating the glass in a tortoiseshell brown. The bitter, tannic flavors prevent this from becoming syrupy or cloying.

Drinkability: How do you measure this? I fear the Dark Lord too much to not give it full marks. Do I want another? Yes! Would I buy this by the case if I could? Yes! Could I drink myself senseless? Yes!

Backwash: I pledge my fealty to the Dark Lord! The first beer that truly lives up to the hype in every way. In the interests of giving this a fair review, I refrained from smoking the cigar for which this so desperately called. If ever there were a Montecristo ‘A’ beer, this is it! I often seem to criticize the cost of beer, etc.; but this is worth almost any price. It stands up to the best vintage Ports and Madeiras in the way it challenges the drinker with a great gustatory adventure.

NB: To extract the most out of this, I put the "sludge" in a chinoise and gently pressed out what I could into the second glass. It would be interesting to see what a "homogenized" version might be like.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

22 ounce bomber, 2009 vintage, poured into a large snifter.
I was able to attend this year's Dark Lord Day in Munster, IN, and picked up a few bottles. I had this on draft, too...but my review is based on one of the bottles I brought home.

Appearance is black...little to no head whatsoever...looks like a large shot of espresso after the crema has died down. Legs hang on the side of the glass...some serious alcohol in this one.

The smell is remarkable. Sweet molasses, figs, plum, dried fruit...definite alcohol lingering in the background. I'm getting some crusty wheat bread, cane sugar, vanilla, maple syrup. The smell reminds me of Fall...hot cider and spiced rum...bitter apples and pie...wet leaves on the ground. There are some cherry notes, maybe slight banana. Some clove in the nose...making me think of some sticky-sweet vegetable bread, like how zucchini bread smells.

The taste...oh, man...this is phenomenal. So much going on here. Chocolate, coffee, fennel (light), vanilla, caramel, cinnamon. Alcohol hits through the back of the back of the throat and into the nose...very warming. Birthday cake, figs, doughy bread. That sweet-after-the-salt taste in really good olives, maybe some light citrus notes in the background. Maple syrup, cream, baker's chocolate, oak, burnt wood, tobacco...actually, this would be a perfect match for a really good cigar. It carries a bitter tang on the back of the tongue...like after eating fresh raspberries.

Overall, this is a remarkable beer...one I would be happy to drink many times over. It was well worth the trip up to Three Floyds, and worth the wait in the huge line. It's warming, deeply complex, and absolutely delicious.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

With Dark Lork Day '08 only a few days in my rear view, it's high time I sampled the '07! Originally slated for Thanksgiving, it has been re-scheduled time and again. Finally, time to see if this beer backs up the hype...

Appearance - pours properly thick and black. A thin wisp of dark mocha lacing on the Belgian glass matching the thin layer on top of the beer. Didn't get a reverse cascading head, but it looks good still.

Aroma - the aroma is big. The malt is intense enough to have a soy-like quality. Dark roasted coffee and an undertone of abv heat. A little too much soy for me but the other smells are huge and mouth-watering.

Taste - sweet candyish dark malts envelop the palate. Abv is already stating its presence. Dark fruit in there. Massive roasted coffee and dark chocolate. The swallow allows a tickle of hop balancing, but not for long. A rush of fresh brewed coffee takes over the aftertaste, wow, what a powerful flavor so late into the tasting. Bittersweet chocolate follows the coffee for a delicious finish. The abv heat is there but you'd never guess it at 13%.

Mouthfeel - oh so thick, rich, and smooth. It wants to adhere to everything in and around the mouth.

Drinkability - worth the money and the hoopla...and the wait. Looking forward to this year's edition...

Photo of

2007 Vintage

Opaque, black as motor oil with a couple hundred thousand miles on it. Perhaps a hint of red/brown at edges when held up to light....maybe just the flames of hell? Poured thick, you have to shake the bottle a bit to get it out. A small ring of dark brown bubbles formed around the edge of the glass.

Scent that first struck me was molasses. This was followed by quite a bit of roast character. A large dark fruit presence hit next, port-like. Alcohol/bourbon seemed to round out the scent.

Taste was more sweet than bitter, guess a year of age allowed the hops to calm down. Probably try one fresh this year to see the difference. Dark chocolate and coffee. Molasses again. Lots of dark fruits. Just a hint of soy, especially as it got close to room temperature. Alcohol taste was surprisingly subdued. Relatively mild herbal bittering at the finish.

Mouthfeel was fantastic. Thick, velvety smooth body. Minimal carbonation. Quite sweet. Alcohol starts to warm you up quickly.

An exceptional stout. Complex, great flavor, and an incredible mouthfeel, which is not a beer characteristic I had ever noticed as much as I did with this beer other than carbonation level. This beer may be hyped, but it doesn't disappoint.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Much thanks to my friends that put on the stout tasting last night, I was fortunate to try many of the best imperial stouts there are. We were also provided rating forms because after a while, the palate and the memory get a bit fuzzy.

This was poured from a bottle into a flute. It pours like motor oil and is black and opaque when held to the light. Almost no head forms and it is short lived with a minimal lattice lacing.

The aroma was quite assertive and included notes of minimal bourbon, baker's chocolate and dark malt. There is also slight hints of tobacco and a currant-like sweetness.

The taste was very complex. It was quite toasty with nice components of oak and bourbon. I also got the hint of dark cherries here. The chocolate was not quite a prominent, nor was the coffee. You have to love malts!

The mouthfeel revealed a fairly mild carbonation which blended nicely with the taste. It made this a rich tasting but smooth beverage. It finished with a unique stickiness that seemed to cling to my lips. It is thick with a full body.

Overall, I thought this was the best stout of the night. It was extremely drinkable and I am looking forward to Dark Lord Days. It is actually dangerous to me because of the alcohol content and how good it tastes.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

This is my first review so I figured go big or go home!!! This beer was shared with my two brother in laws. One is a novice and likes his bud light. The other traveled in from Seattle for the 4th holiday and is constantly looking for the holy grail of beers. So here goes...

A - The beer poured a jet black with a hint of brown undertones spewing out after the pour. Almost like the dark lord himself rising from the ground.

S - I would best describe it as a coffee smell with a hint of chocolate and dark fruit flavors. Very enjoyable!

T - This is where this beer excels. You can really taste the espresso and chocolate with a dark fruits flavor without the hard hitting alcohol taste

M - This is a very thick and creamy beer with a coating left to your mouth.

D - I could definitely drink one by myself and will the next time around, but this is a beer worth sharing. My brother in laws thoroughly enjoyed the beer. I imagine I will store two of these and plan on a Christmas Eve celebration once the kids go down. Sit by the fireplace and enjoy a bottle to myself. I can't get this taste out of my head. So long Dark Lord until we meet again...

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a thick and inky opaque black color that stains the glass, topped with a very thin brown head. The head recedes quickly but continues to give off a strong aroma of fruity esters and vinous sweetness. The complexity of the aroma foreshadows the flavorful body which is thick, viscous, and flat. The drink is very similar to port and is packed with fruity esters including fig, prune, and black cherries and these mellow fruit flavors change from beginning to end with well timed transitions. There is also a strong and undeniable vinous character to the brew with light hints of smooth coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and delicate vanilla dancing on the background of the palate. The finish grows sweeter and warms through it graceful fade. Lingering complexity haunts you and lingering warmth eases your soul.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Such a dark brown it almost looks pure black. Head is chocolate colored. It pours like used motor oil and resembles it as well.

S: Raisins, molasses, slight boozieness, roasted malts.

T: From front to back, this beer touches on every part of the palate. A roastiness of the malts that matches the smell. There is a sweetness to this beer, raisins, dates or plums, as if they were mixed into a cake that was baked in a wood fire just a shade too long. Hop characteristic is nothing compared to the malts and what it brings out. That would be expected considering the style.

M: Again that viscosity is there, which is nice and allows the beer to almost cling to your tongue.

D: Easily one of the best beers you can get your hands on.

As a side note, the Vanilla Bean Dark Lord might be some of the most fantastic stuff on the face of the planet.

2007 vintage

Served into a snifter on 12/10/2011

Simply put, incredible.

A- Pours out of the bottle as a thick, black liquid that is honestly reminiscent of motor oil, as cliche as it does sound. The faint beginnings of a head disappear immediately. This is truly pitch black, when held up to light nothing gets through, not even on the sides. Huge legs throughout drinking which stain the glass brown. After drinking this my snifter was caked in streaks of brown. Never have seen anything like it before besides classic Dark Lord.

S- The trademark Dark Lord aroma of chocolate covered dark fruit mixed with coffee tones and hints of sweet malt. Very intense given the age on this bottle, yet blending together much more harmoniously than newer vintages.

T- Wow has time been great to this. A perfect blend of chocolate covered cherries and plums contrasted against coffee and roasted malts. Molasses, raisins, and hints of licorice all play in the background. Everything has blended together perfectly to create a layered, intense experience.

The bottle had a solid 2-2.5" of sludge on the bottom. We poured the bottom half into a large glass, swirled it around to distribute the sludge evenly and then served it into our snifters as a second pour. With the sludge incorporated it still retains it's great flavor profile but at the end of the sip there is some intense bitterness kicking in, along the lines of hops or really dark chocolate.

M- If you think '10-'11 Dark Lords are thick, try a pre-2009, it will blow your mind. Started off with the consistency of a heavy cough syrup, a thick body with low carb that coated the inside of your mouth completely. Minutes after taking a sip you could still taste coffee/chocolate on your tongue. Once we added the sludge in, the consistency turned into that very close to a milkshake. Gritty, beyond thick, chunky, simply awesome.

O- I have now had 2007-2011 Dark Lords. While I loved all of them ,this was in a world of its own. Much more thicker and darker than new vintages. Age has blended the flavors together perfectly, creating an intense monster. This vintage is no where past its prime in my mind, and I wish I had more to drink. Drinking this was an experience I will not soon forget...easily one of the best beers I have ever had. I think I enjoyed this one even more than Vanilla Bean aged Dark Lord.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

2010 Dark Lord, sampled from a chalice on my college graduation day. Many thanks to Joe for sharing this with me.

This beer is obviously a whale for me, and what a beer it was. I don't know exactly what I was expecting, probably not this, but I think it's better than anything I could have expected.

Pours a thick, viscous brown-black that coats the side of the glass. Develops some nice light brown head that retains well, and laces nicely. Deep and dark like a beer named Dark Lord should be.

Smell is very interesting. At first it was a bit weak, but it really opened up nicely. Some notes of coffee and chocolate, but it kind of smelled more like a BSDA than a stout. Incredible, the plums and other dark fruit (even light fruit like apples) dance in and out of the nose. Very complex. A bit of cinnamon or some spiciness too.

Flavor profile is very complex--different things with every sip. Covers the coffee, chocolate, alcohol, plums, apples, pears, cherries, and cinnamon areas, among others. What is so nice about the taste is how balanced all the aspects are. A little hot I guess, but not really considering the ABV. Tremendous complexity, tremendous balance. This is a fine beer that I wish I had a bunch of to age. Had this side-by-side with KBS, and the KBS was just not as enjoyable. That's saying something.

Exceptional feel, velvety smooth, chewy, pillowy. Tremendous drink considering the ABV, one of the best beers I've had for sure.

Well, here goes.

2007 bottle obtained at Dark Lord day by Janice (not a BA), sold to shivtim and shared by him with me and and a couple of other people. Pours black with a head that vanishes quickly, and a little disappointingly. laces like black olive oil and lacing actually has little granules of something (yeast? ground up coffee?) in it. Smells like brandy, soy sauce, cherries, some yeast, hot chocolate. Quite complex and more fruity than anything else. Taste is just what i look for in a RIS. A complex mish-mash of flavors. Molten chocolate covered cherries, other dark berries, truffles, brandy, bourbon, vanilla. Finish has an alcohol warming and a slight coffee roastiness that's quite well blended. Excellent. Mouthfeel is thick, as advertised. I could drink this all the time but i can't for many many reasons. Yeah, its a freaking great beer, no joke.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

My last bottle of 2010 Dark Lord. Time to review. A 5-oz. pour into a stemless oversized wine glass.

A - Black with a hint of brown, no light passes thru whatsoever. Head is little more than a dark beige ring, and that isn't lasting long either.

S - Rich roasted coffee and semisweet chocolate, some dates and raisins, and carmelized brown sugar. A welcoming bouquet, for sure.

T - Very similar to the nose, but the extraordinary balance of these flavors makes Dark Lord's reputation. The dark fruits are in perfect harmony with the coffee and chocolate. Just a hint of vanilla and caramel, and strong notes of pinot noir wine in the syrupy finish.

M - Thick, thick, and thick. Low carbonation, drinks almost like a milkshake, but with a boozy warmth that spreads with each sip. No alcohol burn here.

D - I'd hoped to take a little time and savor this, but the sips kept coming due to this beer's ridiculous drinkability. The 13% ABV doesn't slow you down a whit, because it's masked incredibly well.

Hype: justified.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Had this during one our recent tastings thanks to ThirdLap.
The 08 is among the best beers I have ever had, and without a doubt the hype is worth this exquisite sample of brewmastership.

It looks like someone melted the wax from the top of the bottle and allowed it to flow like lava into the rest of the bottle. Beautiful ebony body with just the right amount of weight.

Smells like malt and caramel with a fig soaked for weeks in bourbon.

The taste of this is no less impressive than the rest of the beer. Gorgous oak aged bourbon with an edge of caramel.

The most impressive aspect of DL is the amazing mouthfeel. No kidding this feels like drinking a glass of double heavy cream. I expect it to taste like whipped cream but instead I am overjoyed with the flavor of the Dark Lord.

I could drink a bottle ot this myself, though it wouldn't be a good idea. It is without a doubt not overhyped...! If you have not tried Dark Lord 07 you MUST do what you have to to get a sample.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

A big thanks to Avalon68 for providing this in trade. Great trader!! My first "big" trade on BA..

'08 Bottle consumed on 5/2/09.... This was the winner of our blind taste test and also the one that I chose for first place.
A finger + of dark tan head forms then does fade rather quickly. While there is no lacing, there is almost a thin film left on the glass from the thickness of the beer. If you didn't change your motor's oil for 2 years then finally drained it, this is what would come out.

Sweet, chocolate, dates and other dark fruits dominate the aroma.

This was/is the most complex tasting of those beers that were in our tasting. There is so much going on here, you can sit with this and have fun for hours.

I thought chocolate truffles, dates, molasses, chocolate covered cherries. The more you sit and enjoy the more you find. Slightly smokey. Some nice hop bitterness add balance while remaining well hidden. The more you enjoy the more it drinks like a hot fudge milk shake. (those are my favorite!)

Really syrup like and full bodied, but smooth as silk.

Drinkable? Are you kidding? Is there a sessionable Russian Imperial Stout?

Immediate entry into my top 2 or 3 beers. Just fabulous.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. 2011 vintage (yellow wax). Drank New Years 11-12. Huge thanks to Phelps in the Tickers BIF!

A: Pitch black. Just a wisp of a head that doesn't stay at all. Very little lacing. But I really didn't expect none from this. Still beautiful.

S: Big nice blend of bourbon, dark fruits, dark chocolate, roasted dark coffee, butterscotch, vanilla, hints of tobacco. Amazing and complex.

T: Dark chocolate upfront. Pretty sweet. Dark fruits, vanilla, butterscotch, roasted malts, and slight coffee. Touch of alcohol in the finish, but for 15% it isn't much. One of the best, if not #1, RIS's I've tasted.

M: Thick and full bodied. Super creamy and smooth. Very light carbonation, verging on none.

O: Amazing beer! Can only imagine one aged a few years. Might just have to trade for one. One of the best beers I've had.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

poured into a fluted tasting glass Deep black like used motor oil with a medium brown head perfectly velvetty with a aura that seems to surround it's presence. a thin brown coating on the glass that is even resilient to water rinsing.

Smell is rich in brown sugar, port wine, Maple syrup with a slight alcohol burn in the back of the nose, Dark vine fruits and a bitter chocolate.

Rich bitter chocolate with a smooth syrupy body that marries all of the complex flavors together. Dark vine fruits, and brown cane sugary sweetness. I don't even have good words to describe.

Mouthfeel is incredibly viscous and refuses to leave your mouth. This seems to be the consistency of used motor oil. Drinks incredibly slow and it sips for a long time but I could literally drink this all the time besides to be refreshed. The dark lord has forced me into submission and has enslaved me to his will.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

this beer pours a very dark black color with a thin brown head that recedes to nothing over the course of the session. The aroma is exactly what i'm looking for in an imperial stout, the roasted coffee and caramel aroma carries over nicely into the taste, a little sweetness in the front and bitterness at the end. the full body and good co2 make this a wonderful sipping imperial, couldn't ask for better in this category.

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

Saved this from a trade, One year later,( '07 Vintage) it is time to indulge in this masterpeice.

Appearance: This beer pours like motor oil with little to no head. As I swirl the glass I see enourmous tar-like legs streaming back downward into the abyss that it came from. No light can be seem through this totally black liquid.

Smell: The aromas are complex and intoxicating. Lots of chocolate notes seem to be the backbone of this brewha. I'm also getting some roasted coffee bean, perhaps some mesquite wood, and even hint of black cherries.

Taste: Wow! Explosive alcohol and semi-sweet chocolate hits you immediately. I'm also getting some vanilla quaffs with black licorice. Not alot of coffee is noticable, but I am detecting a little bit of raisiny dark fruits. Tons of roastiness. This leaves a sticky alcoholic, chocolate, and cooking spice of some sort all throughout my mouth. A truely delightful and complex treat indeed!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thick, sticky and yet silk-like as well. It leaves a film in my mouth that I seem to taste over and over again. Even at one year later there is a decent amount of carbonation left.

Drinkability: This is a remarkable beer, thou I believe it is hyped up just a notch more than it needs be. Im definitely glad I got to try this and would recommend that you get your hands on this.

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

Big thanks to rysberg01 for sending this as part of my Beer Powerball winnings.

Pours a deep, rich dark black with a thin brown head. Dark and menacing, fairly thick and syrupy. Not much retention or lacing but this beer has that lovely wine trail thing going on.

Rich and strong aroma starts wafting up as soon as the bottle is uncapped. Sweet and roasty with plenty of dried fruit, spice, French roast coffee, and cocoa. Alcohol wraps everything together but is not overwhelming.

Whoa - this has one hell of an intense flavor. Dark fruit, rum raisin, caramel, dark chocolate, and coffee. Alcohol hits at the end after swallowing, adding warmth. Amazing, complex, not at all cloying, and ridiculously smooth.

Full bodied, silky smooth, and velvety. The drinkability is just staggering considering the intensity of flavor and level of alcohol. I expected it to be too big, but the balance and smoothness made it difficult to put down. The alcohol does build up after a while, taking a notch off the overall drinkability.

This beer is great and lived up to the hype for me.

2010 Dark Lord served out of a 22oz bottle

A- Thick, dirty motor oil (like 5000 miles over), lacing turns the glass brown, medium head retention, dense

S- Dark dried fruit, raisins, backbone of alcohol, molasses, muscavato sugar, dark rum

T- Thick, chocolate, cherry, oily, vanilla, hops enough to balance on the back end, warming, domineering

M- Thick, heavy, medium high carbonation, warming, sticks to your toungue

D- For as thick and high alcohol this is, it is drinkable, very smooth

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

Dark creamy brown, thin head which leaves little lace after fading quickly above a tar black body.

Rich roasted malts, coffee, molasses, dark fruits.

Roasted malts, rich and creamy molasses, toffee and caramel, some alcohol notes, coffee detectable towards the finish, sweet dark cherry and plumb flavors.

Creamy, low carbonation, smooth and full bodied.

Absolutely incredible, a brilliant full bodied RIS that leaves nothing else to be desired. A stunning and inspiring beer I could drink over and over again.

4.87/5  rDev +13.8%

After buying our bottles at DLD '10, we sat down at a table inside the brewery and enjoyed our sample of DL.

Very dark, as expected with little to no head....as expected. The smell was intoxicating. Huge caramel, coffee, molasses/brown sugar smell. Taste was even better, again sweet caramel flavor, but the coffee came up more than it was in smell. Drinks a bit hot, but at 15% how could it not. This should age very well. Mouthfeel is thick! Overall, an amazing beer, and such a treat to taste. I'm thinking a bottle of this split amongst 5 or 6 people would be great after a good meal.

On tap via DLD 2009
Sweet heavens this thing is dark! It coats the inside of the glass very heavily. I new that I was in for a treat once my nose hit the glass. Smells strongly of molasses, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, alcohol, some dark fruit, and espresso. Up front tastes: Sweet soy, molasses, espresso. Leaves a lingering coffee, woody, semi-sweet chocolate aftertaste. This thing feels amazing on the tongue. Every thick, but smooth. Extremely drinkable for 13%. First taste of this was a punch in the face. Totally wasn't expecting what I got, but it turned out to be amazing. At first the flavors seemed puzzling, but fit very nicely together. This is not a beer for people who aren't into RIS's. All hail the Dark Lord!

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.