Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Yellow wax = 2011 - 15% ABV
Red wax = 2012 - 15% ABV
Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax - 2014 - 15% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros

1.88/5  rDev -56.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1

My last review was deemed more of a rant than a review

(I don't know. I realize this might be sacrilege but this beer was gross. I had it on tap at the brewpub on the wednesday after darklord day and I have to say that I did not enjoy it. This was like fermented prune juice or something...I love stouts, porters and dark beer but this was without a doubt the most disappointing beer I have ever drank. Don't go out of your way for this.)

So I'll try to play be the rules this time:

Appearance: Solid Black and thick as hell (great looking stout)

Smell: Mixture of spoiled prune juice and nail polish remover

Taste: Something is wrong with this. Funky, spoiled and possibly poisonous are my best adjectives for this.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied stout

Drinkability: I finished it only out of obligation.

Let me add to my original review that I LOVE almost every FFF beer that I've tried and think their brewpub is one of the greatest in the midwest. Unfortunately, this beer is not my cup of tea.

1.95/5  rDev -54.4%

Awful 2013. Way too sweet for a Russian Imperial Stout. Big sugar hit followed by molasses and vanilla. The amount of work to obtain this beer does not justify the result. If it was easy to buy, this would be a drain pour. Better luck on the variants, or future bottlings. Sorry!

1.98/5  rDev -53.7%

2011 Dark Lord Imperial Stout picked up by my son at Dark Lord Day and shared with friends during a night of beer and boardgames.

It poured jet black with red highlight when the wine glass was held up to the light. A gentle pour yielded a subtle head of tight tan bubbles. The nose was full of molasses, toasty malts, raisins and alcohol. First sips yielded a strange vegetal taste . It is very sweet with hints of dirt, and vanilla—maybe soft fruits. As it warmed, alcohol became more dominant with warming sherry notes and a hint of coffee. Full and round mouth feel. I was prepared to like this more than I did. I am sure it would become more rounded with age.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.