Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

2011 - Yellow Wax
2012 - Red Wax
2013 - Orange Wax
2014 - Blue Wax

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Lord Imperial Stout Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -59.1%

JReites, Nov 05, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -59.1%

michaeljstraub, May 09, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -56.8%

My last review was deemed more of a rant than a review

(I don't know. I realize this might be sacrilege but this beer was gross. I had it on tap at the brewpub on the wednesday after darklord day and I have to say that I did not enjoy it. This was like fermented prune juice or something...I love stouts, porters and dark beer but this was without a doubt the most disappointing beer I have ever drank. Don't go out of your way for this.)

So I'll try to play be the rules this time:

Appearance: Solid Black and thick as hell (great looking stout)

Smell: Mixture of spoiled prune juice and nail polish remover

Taste: Something is wrong with this. Funky, spoiled and possibly poisonous are my best adjectives for this.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied stout

Drinkability: I finished it only out of obligation.

Let me add to my original review that I LOVE almost every FFF beer that I've tried and think their brewpub is one of the greatest in the midwest. Unfortunately, this beer is not my cup of tea.

philberinghele, May 03, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -54.9%

2011 Dark Lord Imperial Stout picked up by my son at Dark Lord Day and shared with friends during a night of beer and boardgames.

It poured jet black with red highlight when the wine glass was held up to the light. A gentle pour yielded a subtle head of tight tan bubbles. The nose was full of molasses, toasty malts, raisins and alcohol. First sips yielded a strange vegetal taste . It is very sweet with hints of dirt, and vanilla—maybe soft fruits. As it warmed, alcohol became more dominant with warming sherry notes and a hint of coffee. Full and round mouth feel. I was prepared to like this more than I did. I am sure it would become more rounded with age.

ruppert2p, May 05, 2011

ArchEnemyBrew, Nov 15, 2011

Pillowburn, Feb 11, 2012

Kodi, Dec 05, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -52.6%

I had the 2008 at the 2009 DLD festival and have since had the 2009 (Thanks, Thomas, you know who you are). So many love this concoction and it truly has played an important part of establishing 3Floyds as a premier visionary brewer. However, I find Dark Lord undrinkable. In part (if you look at my beer thoughts) this is due to a dark roasted malt that gives me headaches, but overwhelmingly I just do not think of this or Utopias or similar extreme brews as particularly appealing to actually consume. And I accept this as heresy. Guilty as charged. That said:

A: Dark opaque black with a thick resilient head that is dark brown. I have never seen as dark a head. Ommegang's Chocolate Indulgence Stout is closest in the head color and retention. On tap, it persisted for the full hour it took me to drink it.
S: If I could, I would want a snuff box that smelled of Dark Lord. I would seek out the smell of dark lord, which has fig and date notes along with deep, dark malts and hints of the citrus hops that balances the beer. Missing entirely from the smell is the sweetness.
T: Such a disappointment: the sweetness is cloying and overwhelms everything, and this may be a serious component that changes with time and so will try again when the last 2009 bottle reaches 2 full years of cellaring. That and the headache.
M: Covers, oozes, fills, plasters the mouth. I imagine the (original) Blob movie as I try to smack my tongue and lips trying to free my mouth from its sticky covering.
D: Low. I may enjoy half an ounce of Dark Lord at the end of a long session. Any more is simply too much.

salvo, Jun 16, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -51.4%

This is the 2011 vintage, poured from the bottle a few months after its release

Appearance is not ominously black as you might expect from the beer's name, but more of a darkish caramel brown color. I'd believe it if you told me it was an imperial porter or imperial brown. A fairly thin head appears and then disappears.

Smells sweet and malty. Obviously not going to be real big on the roast or smoke.

Wow, the taste is pretty bad. I expected it to be over the top in sweetness, but I did not expect it to be downright awful. The problem here is not so much the sweetness (I like me some really sweet beers, including really sweet imperial stouts) as it is that the flavors just aren't good ones. A molasses bomb in the worst sense, I'm having trouble thinking of other specific descriptive terminology but this is pretty rough. You can tell there's coffee in it if you look for it, but the coffee is contributing an odd caramel kind of flavor and not the roasty coffee flavors found in other, better stouts with coffee added.

Mouthfeel? I'm not really sure. My mouth was in a state of shock over the bizarre flavors of this beer and didn't take a lot of note of how it "felt," but I guess it was pretty thick and chewy.

Overall, just a really terrible beer, by far the worst beer I've ever had that has an A rating on Beer Advocate.

3.9/10