Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dark Lord Imperial StoutDark Lord Imperial Stout

Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Maroon wax = 2015 15% ABV
Reviews: 1,206 | Hads: 3,875
2.46/5  rDev -42.7%

2011 bottle shared with J Bird and SB. Pours dark and thick and looks pretty good at this point. Unfortunately, it goes downhill from there. The smell doesn't really bring anything of note to the table. Taste is obnoxiously sweet, no coffee flavors at all, no flavor of any kind, just a sugary sweetness. Mouthfeel is thick, not too sticky, but the sweetness is all I can think about. Overall I was not impressed with this version. I liked it on tap at the release party but it has only gotten worse from there. I'm not sure if this is legal but I poured out about half of my glass. The Cardinals just hit a walk-off home-run to take game 6. OMG, what a game! (659 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -42.2%

2009 Vintage...I have been waiting for a long time to try this beer. Pours a VERY THICK, motor-oil black with minimal-to-no head. Scent is VERY VERY sweet...with some off-putting soy sauce aromas. I also pick up some lovely chocolate and brandy aromas, along with molasses and dark malt. Slight vanilla. Taste is...WOW...disappointing to say the least. Overly sweet...a ton of sugar, burnt sugar and malt. Lots of toffee with candied dark fruits and more sweetness. Slight soy sauce flavor. Mouthfeel is very thick, like motor oil, and hardly any carbonation. Drinkability is fair...but can only have a small serving of this. Overall, this was not nearly as good as I was hoping for. It's not too often that I go against the hype, but this was just not a good beer IMO. The sweetness is overpowering and just makes for a bad experience. Will definitely not be trading for any more of this. (889 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Was really lucky to get a pour of this from esentman 2011 vintage. Poured like a great impy stout. Dark and viscous, but even a vigorous pour did not yield a head. The aroma was pleasant. Caramel sweet coffee and a pleasant roasty fullness. The flavor was a huge mess. Under attenuated and extrememy sickly sweet. Everything that was in the nose, plus some dark fruity flavors, was lost behind a curtain of sweetness. It was not the easiest beer to get down. Full mouthfeel that would be nice if not for the cloying sweetness. Thick and full bodied. I have heard better things about older vintages, but was really unimpressed with this one. Kind of disappointing. I really wanted to like this one. (697 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -41.7%

This review is based off of the 2012 bottles across multiple samplings.

The beer pours a dark "black-hole" black into the glass. Very minimal carbonation with almost no head. However, you can notice some carbonation rising in the glass. Also, tilting the glass i notice that this beer is thick! and will coat the glass with a sugary film.

Smell is... of sugary molasses soy sauce. Not the best smelling beer around. Unfortunately the taste closely resembles the smell. It is extremely difficult to drink this beer as it does taste like soy sauce, raisins and sugar. This beer is extremely sweet! it makes it very hard to drink and I wish it was balanced more in flavor.

I heard this was a bad year for dark lord and there were potentially some contaminated batches. I'm not sure if I got one but I have to say I would not recommend this beer. Bourbon county stout, FW parabola are far better beers. (901 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -41.7%

Shared this bottle with schwaeh - 2011 bottle Yellow Wax.

A: Poured a black as dark as the devils soul, one finger head that quickly desended into a thin frothy lacing, moderate carbonation.

S: There is alot going on in the smell on this one , Figs ,raisin.plums. burnt sugar,molasses,chocolate.

T: Holy sweet molasses cookies Batman, Plum pudding covered in chocolate,brown sugar, molasses, slight cherry , booze, pretty much everything and the kitchen sink with added sugar in this. I think I need to check my blood sugar now.

O: Maybe I just don't get this beer but I was rather dishearten by the end result, The beer is so sweet and I struggled to finish a single tulip of it, It attacks you tongue with so much sugar and molasses that it's really hard to enjoy it, I read the reviews and let the hype get the best of me and traded two solid beers for two of these, I doubt I'll be so eager to seek anymore out in the future. (933 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -41.5%

Dark Lord '12
Pours a cola brown. Black in glass with a short tan head.  Good retention and lacing.

Nose is okay. Very sweet. Mild fruit but not necessarily dark fruit like most imperial stouts.

Flavor=wow. Not that good! Huge let down. How is this on the top 100? Where is the Intelligentsia coffee. So overly sweet. Tastes like sweet dark sugarcane. I think I just got diabetes.

Mouth is puckery sweet. Very Heavy and full bodied with low carbonation. It's like a mouth full of pennies made of sugar.

Overall I'm so disappointed by this. Had high hopes as a major stout lover. But this ended up being a drain pour. Pretty bad! (641 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -41.3%

2014 Blue Wax Dark Lord

Consumed 05/20/15 so this baby has been bottle aging in excess of a year.

The Dark Lord looks magnificent. Aggresively poured into a stemless wine tulip. Nice sticky mocha brown lacing. 5/5

The smell furthers the excitement. Very rich dark fruit aromas and molasses. No coffee detectable. 4.25/5

This is where this brew takes a disastrous turn. The sweetness is dominating and overpowering. No alcohol presence which strikes me as weird for a 15% er. It is a pleasant taste of fig, raisin, dark malt, when it hits the tongue but the follow through is overtly sweet... like sugary soda sweet. Off putting. Cloying is too mild a term. Disgustingly sweet. 1/5

I have a hard time with mouth feel because of the sweetness. Thick and oily. Quite perfect if the flavor wasn't so sugary. 5/5

Overall, I have to say this is a bad beer. Not enjoyable at price point. If you could imagine raisin juice, that's what this tastes like. Dark Lord Day seems like an awesome time, and I am a huge fan and supporter of 3F, but I feel like they're just clowning us with this brew. (1,092 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -40.6%

I just came back from vacation and had to post a review of this brew. I have been looking forward to it for the past 6 months, saved it for a great weekend, and wow was I disappointed.

Vintage 2011 (yellow wax)

Brew pours a beautiful color- midnight with some off-white foam. I was surprised how quickly the brew condensed down to just the beer though- bubbles were gone! I guess that 15% was clear from the beginning!

Aroma is a very nice- marshmallow fluff meets coffee and caramel, plus some oaky tones. Really nice smell on this brew.

Taste was awful. It was likely drinking a bottle of soy sauce. I thought maybe it was too cold, so we let it sit for a little while. Still tasted like soy. Then changed glasses, still tasted like soy. Finally, we had to pour it out. Also felt like it was not nearly as dense as expected, especially in flavor profile.

Maybe it was the youth of the beer (about a year), maybe it was just a bad bottle, or maybe this just isn't my brew. All I can say is there is NOTHING from Three Floyds that has gotten below a 4.5 overall rating from me so far, but Dark Lord did. (1,108 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -39.9%

2010 Bottle poured into a giant tulip

A - Pitch black pour with a thin tan head that quickly fades. Great lacing and looks like oil.

S - Boozy, dark chocolate candy bar, ground espresso, and some salty soy sauce. Smells hot, hoping its not just a booze bomb.

T - Dark chocolate, roasted malts, prune/raisins, some smokey/wood flavors up front. Alcohol present in the form of a port/sherry sweetness. Little to no hop presence, completely masked by the sweet sugary malt profile.

M - Very viscus, chewy and sticky. Little carbonation helps this one dance around the tongue slightly. Long, sticky sweet finish. Alcohol warms on the way down.

D - This is one hot beer. I am not really opposed to drinking high ABV beers (I knew what I was getting into), but the alcohol makes this one a slow sipper. (802 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -39.9%

I cracked a bomber of the 2009 vintage with some dear friends and made sure it was the first beer of the night in the name of palette cleanliness.

This poured a sludgy back into my tulip glass with a decent amount of lacing. It looks good as hell and it smells inviting, but a little bit ominously. The aroma emits so much different flavors you can tell this is either going to be amazing, or a big hot disharmonious mess.

The first taste reveals, indeed, a brew with a panoply of flavor. There is a wide variety of disparate elements that your tongue struggles to suss out - dark fruit, molasses, figs, your requisite malts, and wow, there are too many flavors to possibly figure out which direction this beer is going. Beers like this can be great when the different elements sing together, but this is not integrated very well at all. The only pervasive and unifying theme is sweetness, and dare I say, soy saucey kind of taste.

It was a struggle to make it through this glass, and I am a huge fan of dark, sludgy adventurous stouts. This was a big disappointment, and even if the wild array of flavors here was integrated well, I can't imagine it would be an above average stout for its class. (1,202 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -39.4%

Had the 2010 at a south sound tasting. Reminded me more of barley wine then a RIS, almost sockeningly sweet with little roast character. I honestly don't know what the hype is all about-Abyss blows this beer away on all fronts. Medium caramel color leaves long legs in the glass, smells of dark fruits and tastes is dark fruits, dates, figs etc. Really sweet, if the body were any thicker this would be not very drinkable at all. I get more notes of vanilla and toffee, but mostly fruit. Again there is no roast character at all to this "RIS" and I am glad I didn't trade something good for it. (594 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -38%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tulip. 2010 vintage with the green wax. Pitch black with just a bit of head.

The aroma is chocolatey and a little soy saucy. This is almost a good aroma, there are good aromas in the aroma, but the soy sauce kind of ruins it.

The taste is sweet. The coffee is very subtle in the flavor. The aftertaste is particularly disappointing.

The body is thick and chewy. The carbonation is a little subtle.

This is a little disappointing to be honest, but it isn't super terrible. I would say it's mostly just disappointing because the market is saturated with delicious stouts. (587 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -37.8%

I can spot a few bubbles, but no head appears. How can a (white) waxed bottle offer no head on the pour? It pours thin, but the color is viscous motor oil. Other than being darker than most, it's fairly ordinary-looking. Under ordinary conditions, I'd rate a headless stout below par, but waxed, demonic marketing gets the best of us.

The nose is a dark fruit basket...almost like somebody smashed blackberries to make a new wine. Lacking hop presence and foam, it's cobbler without ice cream. Dark licorice makes it smell like candy. There's some dark cherries, raisins, dates (which I also associate with figs), and plums. It smells like a dark, fruity Twizzler.

The taste has a slight malty balance to the utter sweetness I smelled. Still, it's missing a creaminess or bitterness that would really make this a better beverage. If you count licorice as a fruit (and I'm not declaring it is), the only thing exempting this from candy status is an alcohol burn. I was nicer on the smell because fruity candies smell good, but this is not what I want from an RIS. Oddly enough, it's so sweetly puckering that it's almost like a sour. I know FFF is a great brewery and (maybe) this is ordinarily a great beer, but I prefer the taste of a grocery store stout compared to what currently sits in my snifter.

Though there's indisputably substance to this liquid, a relative flatness confirms my suspicions about the absence of froth--insufficient carbonation. It's so very dark, but with a diluted fruit, alcoholic warmth. I'll go with unimpressed on the feel but, with all the hoopla, rarity, marketing and, more objectively, the ratings on this site, I'm actually disappointed.

I want to try Dark Lord again (perhaps another vintage), but I'd be a fool to go whole-heartedly after it. An exclusive beer from such a great brewery that I don't even like--how does this happen? I'll finish it only because of these non-taste factors. I'll point out, however, that I actually drain-poured a small portion to eliminate glass contamination possibilities. Rarely do I drain-pour even a portion of ordinary brews, much less a brew like this. (2,133 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -37.3%

22oz 2010 vintage (olive green wax) split three ways. I don't care for this beer. If that offends you, I'd skip the rest of the review.

Given all the talk of how "thick" this beer is, it pours at a nice weight - rather unlike motor oil in this one respect. Black, almost no head, no bubbles at all. What is there is thin and sticks to the edge.

Color of this is faintly lighter at the edge.

Out of the bottle the aroma is all soy sauce. I may have used that as a descriptor in previous reviews where there was a hint of the condiment, but I have to say that is not the case here. Here, it is the predominant aroma. Once in the glass it is straight rubbing alcohol and burnt malt.

Taste is hot with burnt notes. There is a true "burnt" flavor that is not malt, I would say pumpernickel toast. This is missing anything else initially but I let it sit for a good while and dark fruit comes to the front and saves this from being rated below average.

Mouthfeel is fine except for the excessive booze. Perhaps a touch under-carbonated.

If there was a more full flavor profile I could see drinking more but this bottle at this time* more seems like a waste to me. In my mind, nothing saves this from mediocrity. It was split three ways, I had around 7oz and that was plenty. Was had side-by-side with MS Berserker and it wasn't close. I know - it's too loud, I'm too old; good, more for you; damn kids and their satanic artwork; yada yada yada over the best part, no I mentioned the bisque.

*This review was written in Summer 2011, just getting around to publishing. Not written from tasting notes.

I did greatly enjoy a BBA Dark Lord - that review can be found here: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/30184/?ba=CooperEllis

(194th) (1,743 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -37.3%

First, many thanks to Mentor for this bottle in BIF20.

For such a hyped beer this sure was a let down. I could see all the interest and I have read the reviews, I've drooling for the past year, but this beer didn't meet up.

I served this beer at about 65F in a snifter and finished it in about an hour.

It is thick black with a real chocolate foam of a head that settles to lay on top of the beer mostly around the glass. The thin of the beer is brown and I knew I was in for a roasted malt treat.

The first smell was a bit choking as the CO2 was still escaping, but it concetrated to a roasted malty sugar and alcohol smell, the hops are present but muted, overall I really like the smell and when I am not sipping at the beer the snifter is under my nose.

Well . . . pow first sip is roasted bitterness with hop undertones that are nothing but bittering, no big flavors, it coats the mouth and the after taste is vinous and a little sherry like but more bitter. There is no creamyness and through just a few sips in this is really starting to taste really middle of the road and two dimensional, alcohol and heavily roasted malt. At the end of the bottle, the taste is really grating thin on my palate, it is not getting better, each sip is not savored and I can't wait to be done the beer. I have had better RIS's before.

Yeah this is a thick beer, but it really could use some smoothing out.

This is best to share with a friend after 22oz I don't think I could of taken another sip. (1,507 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -37.3%

Have you ever had one of those goals where its not entirely impossible to reach but yet you just cant imagine actually trying to reach it?

Here is my intro and story that leads to my review of the "Mythical Mighty Dark Lord himself".

As soon as I got into craft beer I knew that someday I wanted to try the top beers. I was such a noob that I was looking at liquor stores for this beer and wondering why the hell I could not get it. That is when I decided to use the search function(DOPE!!!)and I felt like a fool. I could never imagine going all the way cross country to get a beer(well I could maybe)but it was just out of reach cause I have a family.

Believe it or not(no bullshit), I actually had two dreams where I went to Dark Lord Day and purchased some and was filled with excitement to only wake up and realize its not true. I never have before dreamed about beer. Well by some miracle my wife said she would not mind cause her brother lives close by and she wanted to see him. Well I went to DLD and my fantasy was fulfilled!!!!

I drank my bottle the next day after DLD and shared it with my bro-in-law who is also a BA and craft drinker.
___
Poured this into his "hopleaf" pint glass. 2009 DL

This pours a very thick black color with no head at all(wtf?)except for a mere ring left around the edges. Nothing impressing, especially since I expect one from this style.

This had a big smell of alcohol heat. I had to work hard at it to surpass the big heave alcohol smell, I got some hints of molasses, burnt charred malts, dark black coffee.

Upon first sip it was very heavy on the booze and was quite hard to get anything else besides the high alcohol taste. Besides alcohol I got some charred roasted malts, slight molasses and very acrid throughout the beer. I was definitely expecting something else. Especially from what the label says.

Mouthfeel is very thick and heavy with an alcohol like burn taste. Low carbonation.

I shared this with my bro-in-law and could not imagine having a whole bottle. Definitely not a beer one should drink without getting into the style.

This along with Abyss, Darkness, KTG, Sexual Chocolate, is one of the major RIS I have wanted to try since I first got into the style. I have had "The Abyss" and "Dark Lord".

Overall as excited as I was to finally try this beer and wishing it was just as good as I was hoping it to be, it was not. This beer is all hype and definitely not what the label on the bottle says. I'am going to take the remainder of my bottles and age them for a long time.

I will update this an a year and compare.

For a picture reference visit my flickr account

***UPDATE***
Cracked one open on 2-27-2010(a little shy of 1 year)and man this beer was even worse then when I had it over 10months ago. It was so cloyingly sweet and just a mess of a beer. Age definitely did not do this beer any good. Just goes to show what hype gets you into. (2,973 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -37.1%

2010 Dark Lord, Green wax. Thanks for the trade Erik. Insert really dark, thick stout cliche here for apperance. The aroma is odd, very sweet. No roasted character just sugar. The taste is more of the same. Just sickeningly sweet. No real depth of flavor or complexity. Molasses, raisins. Not really an RIS imo. The mouthfeel was good, above average for the style. The drinkability was poor because it's incredible thick with noticeable alcohol and kool aid sweetness.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why this beer has such a following and such a high rating. It's a mess. I'd rather drink soda than this. Not a good offering from a fantastic brewery HUGE disappointment. (680 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

2011 vintage (yellow wax). Tulip glass. Thanks to seeswo for this.

A: Pours thin, very dark brown with a ring of tannish head. A few minutes in, the surface looks flat. No lacing.

S: Charred, roasted malt and vanilla, some cola and milk chocolate. Smells sweetish.

T: Super sweet, like drinking cola spiked with chocolate milk. Wow, this is way too sweet.

M: Full bodied and very light carbonation. So thick, like drinking straight up cream.

O: So sweet and thick, I can't finish more than a little. Ugh, truly gross. Drainpour. (533 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had high expectations for this beer. 2012 version, which I aged for two years. This beer is a thick, cloying, disaster of a beer. Soy sauce and molasses dominate the taste of this 15% monster. This beer nears drain pouring status, the simple fact that it is a single day release beer made me finish my glass. It looked great when poured, from then on....it sucked! really just a big let down. There was one person that liked it, good for him...have another glass.

Bottom Line: I would not buy it if it was shelf turding! (523 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -36.6%

2012 as a part of an Imperial Stout tasting. This was the unanimous last place beer.

A: Black. Little head that dissipates to nothing quickly.

S: Smells of sweet booze, some dark fruit notes in there as well. This was my favorite part of the experience.

T: As soon as I tasted this, I thought turkey gravy. It tasted like turkey meat had been marinating in the bottle for months. Once I got past this horrible taste, there was some decent complexity hidden in there.

M: Pretty good carbonation, the right amount of heat, nice and smooth.

O: If I had an entire bottle to myself, I would have drain poured this. I'm glad I didn't actively seek this out and it was treated as an extra at the otherwise fantastic tasting. (722 characters)

2010 vintage

A: pours black with a finger of dark tan head that recedes into a thin ring with no lacing.

S: soy and molasses up front with a lot of sweetness. There is a touch of smokiness along with a strong alcohol and toffee aroma with some sweet chocolate.

T: roasted malts with a lot of sweetness at first. There is a strong toffee flavor along with some sweet chocolate that follow. Molasses and soy as well. Decent alcohol burn on the finish.

M: thick body with low carbonation, this beer would be nice and creamy if not for the alcohol burn.

O: an alright beer, but still too sweet and boozy after over a year of age for my tastes. Soy, molasses, and toffee dominate the aroma and flavor of this beer, which I'm not a fan of at all. Definitely not worth the hype. I'd consider buying it again to age for even longer if it were cheaper and more easily obtainable, but as is have no desire to ever seek one out again. (928 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -35.9%

2009 vintage bottle. 3rd time having it.

Pours nearly still. Thick and viscous. Very dark in appearance. The low carbonation helps the mouthfeel and flavor but leaves the presentation very one dimensional for something that isn't even barrel aged.

Smells sweet and boozy. Big roasted malt flavor surrounds that sweetness. The original soy sauce flavor/aroma seemed to have mellowed out in the more recent bottles I've had as opposed to the bottle I had last year.

Taste is very sweet. Not as boozy as you'd think. This is a sugary cloying liquid. Like eating thinned out molasses or unfermented high gravity wort.

This beer usually ruins my stomach with all the sugar and booze. Definitely an extreme beer that I appreciate but it's not really for me. (755 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -35.9%

We opened a 2006 and 2007. My review is focused on 2007.

This pours thick like oil and completely black. There's a nice tan head but that disappears quickly leaving a thin ring around the glass.

This is a BIG beer - incredibly complex with a lot going on. I smell vanilla, roasted malts, chocolate, caramel, coffee, licorice, dark fruits like raisins, etc.

Very low carbonation but very thick and sweet with a medium to full body. It's smoothness and strong flavor really hides the alcohol but is flawed because of that overt sweetness.

This beer is good and worth getting to put aside. It needs aging time.

--- (617 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -35.7%

2007 silver wax. pours a viscous brown shade of black with no head. this brew stains the inside of the snifter! aromas of chocolate, dark fruit/prunes/black raisins, vanilla, scorch, heavily roasted grains and molasses... smells an awful lot like a baltic porter should! very dark tasting... lots of grain, ash, licorice, tar, prunes and a touch of umami. just dreadfully sweet. tastes a whole lot like an imperial baltic porter?! beyond full bodied. thick, chewy and coats the tongue... (high score given because it resembles a baltic... my favorite style!)...8/4/6/2/13/3.3

2008 black wax. viscous blackish pour with some orange highlights in the thin brown head. smells kinda like sam adams triple bock only it doesn't make me want to vomit... maple wood smoke, soy, bacon, maple syrup, chocolate and all around sludge. really sweet on the palate to the point my teeth hurt. flavors of vanilla, chocolate, salt, booze and lots of cloying residual/sugars/molasses. hot finish. heavy body with a cloying thick mouth feel... 8/4/5/2/12=3.1

orange 2005 bottle via footy sampled in 2009 at bill and wendy's. viscous (i'm seeing a trend) burgundy black with no head. the nose has some baltic qualities... licorice, molasses and malt powder followed by chocolate, roast and a heap of floral alcohol. the palate is chokingly thick, rich and still way too sweet. ashiness is noted along with the aroma characteristics. cloying and hard to drink....7/4/5/2/12/3.0

gold 2006 sampled next to 2005 in 2009 at bill and wendy's. pours evil with cold maple syrup consistency (even thicker than the 05). it smells and tastes like a rotting grain silo... thick and gross. 5/4/4/2/12/2.7 (1,677 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -35.2%

2010 verision re-review. I had this at dld day but i was pretty hammered. I figured the Lost finale was a good time to break out a new one.

I drank this from the bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours a jet oil black, hardly any brown with a only a little light tan head. Disappointing a little.

The aroma and taste are super awesome and sweet. The malts show off tons of vanilla, but its so fine its not overly sweet it just shows off so perfectly. Light roasty coffee on the finish with a slight alcohol burn. Hides the 15% extremly well. Super easy to drink.

The 2010 is clearly superior to the 2009. Its really awesome, super easy to drink. New ratings are the 2010.

2009 white
I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours motor oil black with hardly any head at all. No carbonation very dark color.

The aroma is very strong of vanilla, coffee and cherries.

The taste is complex with a start of cherries, moves onto vanilla, and coffee.

The taste lingers for several seconds and for its abv its very drinkable.

2009 was 4.0, 4.5, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0. (1,072 characters)

Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.