2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

2010 - Olive Green Wax
2011 - Yellow Wax
2012 - Red Wax
2013 - Orange Wax

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,822 | Reviews: 1,128 | Show All Ratings:
kojevergas

3.36/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2010 vintage bottle acquired from the very gracious Duff27. Green wax-ed over pressure cap bottle. 650ml brown glass bottle with interesting label art served into a Guinness goblet in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are sky high given the brewery and its current 96 rating. Reviewed as a Russian Imperial Stout because the label description identifies it as such.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger khaki-tan head which recedes inside 10 seconds.

Body colour is a solid opaque jet-black. No floating yeast particles are visible; it's quite clean.

Overall, I'm a bit underwhelmed.

Sm: Molasses, chocolate, wisps of dark fruit, dark malts, chocolate malt, and some acidic ash. Depleted cherry. A biteen burnt. Somewhat vinous. Crappucino.

It's pretty reticent for an imperial stout, but I'm intrigued. A pleasant if somewhat muted aroma of mild strength.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

T: Sweet, sure, with plenty of fruit - dark and sweet alike. Plum, cherry. Ash. Tobacco. Vague molasses. Nebulous vinous character. Black currants. I do get some char/ash. It's balanced, sure, but nowhere near as complex/subtle/intricate/nuanced as I expected given its rarity and high rating. It's certainly on the sweeter side.

Above average depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour.

More cynical reviewers might claim there's a soy sauce note.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nice body and thickness. A biteen overcarbonated. Nice presence on the palate. Lightly syrupy. Sticky. Has weight.

Not oily, astringent, gushed, hot, boozy, or harsh.

Dr: Certainly drinkable for the high ABV. Sure I'd buy it if I saw it in the store, but it isn't worth seeking out to be honest. I expected far better, but it's nice. I don't know that age has made any substantial difference/developments. It has many characteristics which evoke more of a port-wine or liqueur character. I know many claim it's too sweet, and I can see that argument, but I think it's fine as-is. I'm real disappointed. Thanks for the opportunity to try it, Duff27.

Low B-

12-24-2013 02:44:24 | More by kojevergas
Rope

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013

Appearance-
Dark, and in direct light a rich red. Thing tan head that dissipates quickly.

Smell-
Thick, syrupy, and roasted tones. A warm alcohol undertone towards the end.

Taste-
Sweet and thick (hey kinda like the nose), preserved fruits, and a long sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel-
Surprising for how thick it is, it actually has good carbonation. The sweetness coats everything, including low hanging mustache hair.

Overall-
If Stone went for bitterness with IPAs, Three Floyds went for sweetness with RTS.

12-10-2013 05:13:45 | More by Rope
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22oz bombers from both the 2012 and 2013 vintages. Will review 2013 which I felt was a better beer, with some comparison to the 2012 at the end of this review. Poured into snifters at Dustin's birthday tasting yesterday, 6/15/2013.

Aroma: Phew! Lots of stuff going on here. Mostly an overwhelming sweetness which screams diabetes. There is a lot of nice dark fruit sweetness making me think of figs, raisins and cherries with tons of sweet milk chocolate and a bit of coffee bitterness. Makes me want to dive into this beer.

Colour: Very dark brown, almost pure blackness. Pours like incredibly thick motor oil, with a delicious looking 1cm brown head that sticks around briefly until it completely disappears into nothingness. Not much lacing to be spoken of. Looks like a great dessert wine.

Flavour: Damn this is diabetes in a glass. There is a ton of stuff going on, but its mostly dominated by a sweet apple flavour, no tartness. In the background, the dark fruits are ever present, giving a nice blend of sweetness. Lots of bitter black chocolate, and I think there is a good bit of sweet milk chocolate in there too. Near the end there's a decent bit of coffee bitterness. Very complex beer, a bit too sweet and would benefit from perhaps 2 years of age.

Mouthfeel: Super thick body, almost goopy. Carbonation is OK, nothing special. Aftertaste is a nice dark chocolate bitterness mixed in with some sweet apple flavours. Incredibly smooth, and there is no booziness whatsoever on this 15% ABV.

Overall: I'm glad to have tried this beer. Very tasty, thick and complex imperial stout that does deserve the moniker "diabetes in a bottle". I actually liked it a lot, though some of the other people at this tasting did not like this version. Compared to the 2012, the 2013 is richer, much more complex but is significantly sweeter. That makes me think the optimal time to drink this beer is in 1.5-2 years. The 2012 brings the same kind of super thick mouthfeel, and while it is still very sweet, it is not as overwhelmingly sweet. However, I feel like the rest of the different flavours are also muted as well in the 2012 compared to the 2013. I'd have to say I'd rather have the 2013 if I had to choose, but I really liked the 2012 because it just wasn't so sweet. Give this one a try if you can, just don't think its the best Imperial Stout ever.

Re-review: Shawn generously opened up a 2012 vintage bottle before we opened up 2012 BVDL today, 12/8/2013. Poured into an unlabeled snifter.

Pours just like Dark Lord always has- opaque black, exceedingly minimal mocha head that doesn't retain all that well, even for an imperial stout. Not much lacing. It smells great- no green apples, though it does got a straight up sugary sweetness but you can get a lot of complexity in it- coffee, port wine, dark fruits, milk chocolates, cocoa- which is very good. Flavour-wise, its the same- dark chocolate and black coffee bitterness, dark fruits, milk chocolate, sugar and molasses contributing a lot to the sweetness of the beer. And the mouthfeel is very good as any Dark Lord can be. No heat in this, even as it warms up. Not that hard to drink. Overall, with a year and half on it, its done very well. Its still sweet, but very manageable and complex. Its a very good imperial stout, its also overhyped but in my opinion, its a very good and unique RIS that shouldn't be confused with the best but should still be appreciated.

12-09-2013 05:03:43 | More by Stevedore
mmapes

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -18.9%

Big thanks to Andrew for the trade. I never thought I'd get to try this one.

Pours dark but not completely black, a translucence while pouring. Not much head. The bottle is from 2012 and we're tasting it in 2013.

Smells boozy, hot. Molasses, prunes.

First taste: really thick and syrupy, very sweet. Tingle-bursts on first taste.

Second taste: big malt, slightly bitter, fairly long finish. Port wine.

A little sticky sweet for my tastes. There are better balanced Russian Imperials that I think I prefer.

11-24-2013 01:27:39 | More by mmapes
AndyAvalanche

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

22 oz. bomber (2011 yellow wax top) poured into a Duvel tulip style glass. Liquid comes out like a very dark roasted coffee color. You can see a few lightish brown highlights while pouring it, but as it pools into the glass the liquid is black and there are now highlights at all. Even if you hold the glass up to the light, it's as if it's an eclipse. Nice slightly darker than tan colored head with a lot of medium and small bubbles, make it look somewhat frothy. Lasts awhile and will eventually very slowly work it's way down to a ring around the edge of the glass. Not much glass retention and lacing with the head, but the liquid itself clings sort of like a syrup. Looks good overall.

Smell is really good, it's very sweet, even sweeter than I expected, but it's still amazing. It has quite a bit going on. It's got generous aromas of dark chocolate, caramel, toffee and subtle hints of a coffee. There's a nice hop presence, but more like they were soaked in some blend of almond/vanilla/molasses. Everything meshes really nicely together and it smells great.

I was on the fence a little bit about the flavor, but you know what, I'm going with perfect here. It's just a sweet Russian Imperial Stout, nothing wrong with that. Taste is truly excellent. Tastes again of dark chocolate, with some charred brown sugar, toffee, caramel, and toffee. To top it all off there's a nice kiss of dark roasted coffee mixed in to add a little bit of bitterness. Really a well blended, and great tasting beer. I've read many reviews and heard many complaints that it tastes like soy sauce, not to me, I thought it tasted great.

Mouthfeel is really good, flavor lingers for a looong time, it's certainly full bodied. With how sweet it is it's a little syrupy in the feel so the carbonation is down a little. Big and bold Russian Imperial Stout, I wouldn't have guessed 15%, so on some levels I guess they did a decent job hiding the alcohol. Drinkability is there, but don't be fooled, this one is a sipper. Nice warming effect after each sip, perfect for a cool night like tonight. Thanks for the trade CuriousMonk.

11-20-2013 04:22:50 | More by AndyAvalanche
alaimoa

Connecticut

3.1/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This is a review for a 5 year vertical on 11/15/13

Overall extreme disappointment in the 5 year DL Vertical with the only decent ones were 2010: ranked 4.5 overall and 2011 4.25 overall. The rest were all below average in my opinion with the actual event of doing a vertical making the entire rank at least average..

Beers poor, Event with the suspense and side by side Amazing.

--2008: Stickiest legs of all, aggressive bitter coffee with the flavor of burnt charred chicken, burnt molssaes and burnt brown sugar

--2009: too sweet and tart with a granny smith like twange to it. Motor oil appearance with a brown ringlet of film. smelled like burned coffee and nutty. Very sweet yet very bitter aftertaste

--2010: Favorite of the bunch. Best aroma, flaor, feel with nice complexity. Smell was a nice mix of sweet, roasty and figgy with charred chocolate. complex flavor of coffee, bitter choc and sweet fig in the back. Coffee lingers nicely. Dry feel at the end.

--2011: Second best in the tasting with dominating coffee notes. burnt coffee smell, less sticky than the 2008 but very thick in feel. Flavor was upfront sweet coffee leading to a brown sugar figginess

--2012: it wasn't disgusting but not great. slightly thinner than 2008/9 and like eating a bitter sweet chocolate bar with a ver dry aftertaste despite the sweetness

--2013: Worst of all with a horrendous smell and taste of rubbing alcohol as it warmed. Appearance had an orangy swirl, best carb, and most legs. least aggressive aroma but swet. Thinner than ofhers and comparable to a porter. Flavor and smell were resembling rubbing alcohol as it warmed"

11-18-2013 18:09:00 | More by alaimoa
nrs207

3.65/5  rDev -14.9%

A - Pours fairly dark, but definitely not the darkest imperial stout out there. Small tan head.

S - Pretty bad. I get a weird olive and soy sauce mixture dominating it.

T - Luckily, the taste is much improved. I get a lot more dark fruits and a bit of roast. Way toned down on the soy sauce that killed my nose.

M - Possibly the best part about this beer. The 15% is nowhere to be found. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

O - It's a strange beer. I've never hated the smell on a beer so much and liked the taste as much as I did. I wouldn't seek this out though. Not worth the price or the trade value in my opinion.

11-14-2013 15:59:05 | More by nrs207
maxcoinage

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2012 Vintage (Red Wax) split with friends, poured into stemmed glass - a thick pour that didn't leave too much head. Color was pitch black.

Aroma - dark chocolate, coffee, caramel

The taste is rather sweet - molasses, vanilla, toffee, roasted malt, coffee,

Mouthfeel - lower carb, heavy thick body that coats the mouth

Overall - Very glad I got the opportunity to finally try this, enjoyed it . thanks to Mike for sharing. I think I'd rather take a Founders RIS or Bells Expedition though

11-09-2013 19:59:35 | More by maxcoinage
ausch30

3.66/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had most of the beers that are incredibly hyped and most of them live up to it, this one doesn't. It tastes like they threw a ton of ingredients into a brew kettle and forgot to ferment it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad beer, I've had much worse. As far as Imperial Stouts go though I've had much better and those were far more accessable. Lots of dark fruits, it almost tastes like a blend of a Quad and a RIS, leaning more toward the Quad. This is a 2012 bottle, the 3rd I've had, I also had some on tap at DLD when I picked this up. I have 4 more bottles, I'll probably drink one every 6 months, we'll see if and how it develops. If you've never had it it's worth trying. That being said I wouldn't suggest going out of your way or spending a lot to get it, chances are you have much better Stouts already waiting for you at your local bottle shop.

11-01-2013 02:26:57 | More by ausch30
bishopdc0

Maine

3.71/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Shared this bottle with my brother. A 2011

Popped the bottle with an t violation.

After reading reviews I was skeptical.

The nose is full of berry, leather and a hints of roast very nice and complex

The taste is all over the place it starts with a berry flavor raisins and plums.the taste quickly goes roasted but the sweetness remains. Make no doubts this is a cloying beer. I wanted it to be better than it is but frankly it's not. The beer seems unfinished, not fully fermented, as a homebrew if I miss pitched yeast I would be able to get a beer like this.

We both agree d if this beer had coffee, bourbon or had been more attenuated it would be world class

10-20-2013 18:58:40 | More by bishopdc0
gcamparone

Rhode Island

3.91/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a 3F tulip glass. Acquired from Surge1311, thanks buddy! 2011 vintage

A- Pours a deep brown, nearly black, opaque body with a slowly rising light chocolate colored head that reduces slowly to a ring of foam, leaving some rings of lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Very interesting aromas on the nose.. a strong maltyness reminiscent of a mixture of molasses, soy sauce, milk chocolate, and toffee. There's a biscuity, bready aroma too.

T- Woah, way too sweet. I've never tasted a stout this sweet before.. it's like someone mixed simple syrup with an imperial stout, what's up with that? It almost tastes like the sugar fermentation process was stopped short. Getting past the syrupy, almost artificial sweet flavor, I get a little chocolate, coffee, dark fruits on the follow through. The finish is very roasty and charred which is pleasant. You also can't taste the 15% alcohol which is also very nice, but I just can't get past the EXTREME sweetness of this beer.

M- Heavy, sticky, syrupy body. Almost no carbonation.

Am I impressed with Dark Lord? Not the in the least bit. Honestly I have no clue how it gets the ratings it gets on Beeradvocate.

Is Dark Lord a huge, heavy bodied, flavor-packed, monster of a stout? I'll give it that. Just not in the best way possible.

10-19-2013 02:00:23 | More by gcamparone
WiscoBrewsco

Wisconsin

4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

Appearance - The darkest beer I have ever seen. So black it was verging on purple. Crawled out of the bottle like syrup with little head that was dark brown in color. Alcohol legs for days that never ended

Smell - A slightly subdued aroma hiding the beast within. Big malt notes with dark chocolate and molasses come through with a hint of cherry and coffee

Taste - The most complex stout (and beer for that matter) I have ever tasted. Really hard to pin down all the flavors going on here. A big wave of sweet molasses and dark fruit hits the mouth and then is followed by chocolate and coffee and cherries which give way back to the molasses with a solid malt presence and more chocolate and coffee. This is excess personified.

Mouthfeel - This is the thickest stout I have ever had, bar none. In fact it took my understanding of "thick" to a new level. This one was like drinking a velvet milkshake and set a new bar for what thick really means. The best mouthfeel I have ever experienced.

Overall - This is hands down the best stout I have ever had. I was completely blown away by this and it is my new favorite beer to date. Some people complain that it is too sweet but with a little age on it that is far from true. Everything in the flavor and mouthfeel of this beer are perfection. Believe the hype as this beer is the real deal. All bow before the Dark Lord

09-22-2013 08:52:59 | More by WiscoBrewsco
TheBronze

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is a review for the 2010 bottle (olive green wax).

A - Pours very dark and viscous with minimal head forming. Small charred brown bubbles.

S - A very unique aroma that puts you on notice. Singed molasses, red wine, dark fruits, roast.

T - Taste follows the nose at first with big molasses, dark fruits, a vinous character, and a moderate roasty backbone. A huge complex stout. Secondary waves of chocolate. Hints of coffee muddled together with the competing flavors that continue to roll across your tongue and pop. The multiple big, bold flavors complement instead of conflict. If this used to be overly sweet when it was fresh, it has settled down now. The one complaint here is that the rich taste can get to be overwhelming as you get towards the end of the glass.

M - Very full bodied. Coats the mouth nicely. Medium carbonation which is just right for this.

O - A unique treat to drink across a sea of relative sameness with big time stouts. Very memorable. It can become a bit overpowering as you get towards the end of your glass, so a 7-8oz pour should be enough. Definitely a bottle to share. I have had multiple years of Dark Lord recently. I found ’12 and ’11 to be a bit too sweet when fresh, but I still do enjoy the beer and its nuances whether it is young or old. But whatever the case, this vintage is just outstanding right now. It’s time to crack it open and enjoy.

09-18-2013 01:13:46 | More by TheBronze
GonzoHomebrewer

3.96/5  rDev -7.7%

2008 bottle shared amongst friends

A- looks exactly as expected, incredibly intimidating, thick with a viscosity I don't think I will ever see again in another beer, big reverse cascading frothy mocha head, best part of this beer

S- Smells decent, dark fruit, molasses, some heavy roasted malt in the background

T- The taste is unbelievably disjointed compared to the nose; sometimes it tasted like someone made a concentrated dark malt syrup, then you'd occassionally get some waves of various odd flavors like soy, umami, plum, black currants, but then you'd get hit with the malt syrup taste again. When i say malt syrup, its not a complement because the malt taste WAS that generic.

M- yes, there was protein particle chunks in mine, but it was still the most viscous imperial stout I have ever had, closest I've come to needing to "chew" a beer,

O- Glad to have tried, but underwhelming, especially for a vintage thats highly regarded at the moment. Best attributes were easily the mouthfeel and appearance.

09-15-2013 03:17:17 | More by GonzoHomebrewer
eric5bellies

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2011 vintage drank with Anthony, Andrew and Joel

A - Pours a deep ebony colour with light visible, the head dies very quickly.

S - Tobacco , raisin, prunes , fig, dark chocolate.

T - Very sweet, with dark fruits and mollassis. no roast at all. The finish is boozy.

M - Moderate carbonation and surprisingly thin for a 15% stout, would describe as medium body.

O - Disappointed with this beer. I just don't get how overpowering sweetness translates into a world class beer. The ageing potential is there, and I would put down for 10 years or so before drinking

09-12-2013 12:11:58 | More by eric5bellies
dowen17

Alabama

3.63/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours pitch black with no head. Gurgles into the bottom of my snifter.

On the nose is cherries an dark fruits. Dark roast malts, bitter chocolate and hints of char and alcohol. I see why people are saying soy sauce. I definitely pick that up on the nose as well.

Taste is cherries, sweet molasses, sweet and dark malts. Dark fruits, sugar, char, a hint of vanilla. Very very sweet. Sweet to the point that its almost not drinkable. Wow. And again, definite soy sauce on the after taste. Very interesting. The more I drink and smell the more soy sauce begins to come out.

Mouthfeel is huge and chewy. One of the thickest stouts I've ever tried. Massive, massive, massive.

This beer isn't worth the hype at all. It's decent at best. Very very sweet but the soy sauce flavor and smell really ruined it for me. I think going to DLD really ups the ratings for a lot of people with the experience involved but oh well. Try it if you can.

09-08-2013 18:16:49 | More by dowen17
facundoCNB

3.66/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A very dark thick pour with a finger of tan head. Smells very balsamic vinegar like, lots if oak, chocolate, molasses, licorice, roasted grains.
A very sugary sweetness, soy sauce, molasses, oak. Waaaay sweet flavor with a weird salty vinegar like flavor.
Full body, low carbonation, sweet dry finish.
Overall I am not impressed. I've had way better stouts from FFF, and way better local off the shelf stuff.

08-31-2013 00:45:30 | More by facundoCNB
mhksuccess

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

my review is for a bottle of 2011 vintage
pour very dark little to no head
smell is pretty heavy coffee
taste is not as much more of a smooth sweet but not overly sweet
i can see why a lot of people say soy sauce because i get a hint of that on the back end but not over powering
coffee taste is faint compare to the smell more of a sweet taste to it
it is a strong smooth nice stout but would say doesnt live up to the hype

08-26-2013 15:37:31 | More by mhksuccess
DRBiser

Maryland

4.49/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2011/Yellow wax

Attractive, rich, heavy dark black color with minimal light brown head

Nose is heavy and sweet, with caramel, molasses, and chocolate shining through

Extremely unique stout, if nothing else. I'm not one for overly sweet and this beer gets a bit close to being too much, but yeah, it’s still quite delicious. It has that sweet chocolately/creamy/caramely liqueur-like booziness to it that I’ve not experienced in any beer before. I also think it has an incredible mouthfeel (but I also haven’t had too many aged stouts so perhaps time was on its side?)

Because of the complexity and monster body the thing has, I gave it a 4.5, but I wasn’t super impressed with the overall flavor. The sweetness is a little odd to me – and at the end of the day it’s all about balance and I just feel like a certain aspect of the flavor was a little much. But again, that’s being hyper-critical as this beer is massive/unique, and I’d love to try another bottle.

08-20-2013 23:16:36 | More by DRBiser
RhyminBelmont

4.59/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Practically zero head after the pour. A rich dark brown like bittersweet chocolate. Impossibly impermeable to light. Clings stickily to the side of the glass with a swirl.

S- Smells like roasted malt, warm liquor, espresso grounds, chocolate mousse. Sweet, but not so much so as the fresh batch at DLD.

T- Tobacco, dark chocolate, dark fruit, black coffee, chocolate mousse. And more and more. Still pretty damn sweet, so I'm definitely holding onto my remaining allotment for a minute.

Sticky thick and amazing on the tongue. Like a thicker plead the fifth. Wishing real hard right now for a barrel aged variant.

Definitely a hype monster. Also a unique enormous delicious beer. DLD is blast, so this beer wins points for sentimentality. I agree with the conjecture that there are comparable beers available on shelf, but it's fun to get on board with the whole experience of the festival in Munster. Yayayyyyyyyyy.

08-19-2013 03:23:38 | More by RhyminBelmont
TheRemyLeabeau

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

Phenomenal. Look, I get it where some of the hate comes in. I mean its now become such a cliche of itself in how hard it os to get this beer and you have to ask yourself is it that much better than other shelf (or easier to acquire) Stouts that its worth the trouble? If you look at it from the aspect of how awesome DLD is with all the generosity of stranger who bring their own bottles and that magical chance to win a golden ticket and land the godly Vanilla BADL then yes its worth it. Especially for me considering I just loves sweets and the fact that 2013 is basically an imperial stout sugar bomb is what makes it a 4.9/5 in my book. I have had 2010-2013 and 2013 is definitely my favorite because of the abundance of sweetness. I really don't like when the taste of soy sauce dominates the palate (namely the 2010 vintage) and while this beer holds up well aging I still say just drink it fresh. The other reviews nail it so no reason to say much else.

Side Note: if you are looking for a comparable shelf beer I strongly suggest Ten Fidy. I think it is by far the most similar shelf RIS and its a damned tasty beer also.

08-15-2013 09:35:03 | More by TheRemyLeabeau
fishmich

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

2013 bottle poured into a snifter. finally got to try this and didnt know exactly what to expect going in because of all the varying comments i see about this beer. after i drank it i could see why it is so polarizing. i dont even really know how to rate it because honestly this beer confused me. i can say its not really my style of a stout but it is still something i would look to get my hands on again.

the beer looks great when being poured, dark and thick with a thin head that dissipates pretty quick. the main smell i get from this beer is grapes, very sweet grapes. it really reminded me of mixed fruit or grape jelly. the taste for me was pretty much the same. if thats what they are going for when they made this beer then they nailed it. what this beer certainly does very well is cover the alcohol, i could hardly get any alcohol in the smell or taste.

overall id say this beer was quite good even though its not really my style. definitely one of kind as far as beers ive had but not really sure it meets the hype. there are much easier to find stouts that i prefer over this one but i will say that i hope to get a bottle or two of my own down the road just to have on hand when the mood hits or its time to share some. if im rating this beer based on my own preference it would be rated a little lower but im trying to give credit where its due.

07-31-2013 14:21:13 | More by fishmich
eduardolinhalis

Switzerland

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

600ml bottle served in a snifter glass.

I've bought this one at one of my last visits to California, in 2010. This is the 2010 Edition which can be recognized by the green wax on the bottle neck.

A: Pours a black color forming a small and bubbled tan head. Low retention and only few lacings left in the glass

S: Strong roasted malts, dark chocolate, dark fruits and wood. Excellent! Licorice and vanilla to compose. A bit boozy in the end

T: Sweet and roasted upfront. Notes of dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, oak, licorice, vanilla and dark fruits. Cherry notes. Complex. Maybe a bit too sweet and too booze in the end

M: Heavy, creamy and molasses body. Low carbonation. Smooth with a bittersweet and roasted and woody aftertaste

O: Great drinkability. A masterpiece. Worth the three years that I've wait to drink it

07-24-2013 03:22:37 | More by eduardolinhalis
Smurf2055

Washington

3.34/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2011 vintage (reviewed 2012) thanks to beersis. Pours a lighter black (if possible) with almost no head.

Smell is sweet raisins and boozy. Dark red fruit. This smells way closer to an English Barley Wine than a RIS. Almost sickeningly sweet.

Taste is also very sweet and boozy. It has some roastiness and faint chocolate, but mostly the deep red fruit from the smell. Lots of alcohol heat for sure. It is very complex, I will admit that much.

Very waxy mouthfeel, full bodied. Heavy, and you can tell the abv is there, but still reasonably drinkable. A sipper.

Not what I was expecting, and not even close to one of my favorite RIS. First FFF I have been genuinely disappointed in. I now understand why this is described as a "sweet boozy mess".

07-21-2013 00:06:40 | More by Smurf2055
MacQ32

South Carolina

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2010 version!

A - pours near black minimal chocolate head and lacing. Not enough head to judge retention

S - tons of dark fruit and roasty medicine/soy type aromas

T - big sweetness and roasty flavors. Dark fruit/cherry medicine/alcohol burn flavors with some cherry. BIG flavor!

M - Full bodied with minimal carbonation, incredibly smooth