1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

2010 - Olive Green Wax
2011 - Yellow Wax
2012 - Red Wax
2013 - Orange Wax

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 12-13-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,817 | Reviews: 1,127 | Show All Ratings:
jokemon

2.45/5  rDev -42.9%

This review is based off of the 2012 bottles across multiple samplings.

The beer pours a dark "black-hole" black into the glass. Very minimal carbonation with almost no head. However, you can notice some carbonation rising in the glass. Also, tilting the glass i notice that this beer is thick! and will coat the glass with a sugary film.

Smell is... of sugary molasses soy sauce. Not the best smelling beer around. Unfortunately the taste closely resembles the smell. It is extremely difficult to drink this beer as it does taste like soy sauce, raisins and sugar. This beer is extremely sweet! it makes it very hard to drink and I wish it was balanced more in flavor.

I heard this was a bad year for dark lord and there were potentially some contaminated batches. I'm not sure if I got one but I have to say I would not recommend this beer. Bourbon county stout, FW parabola are far better beers.

09-29-2012 22:52:17 | More by jokemon
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.85/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A 2010 Bottle opened and split on 9.8.12.

A - Pours a very dark brown with a small dark brown head that is gone quickly.

S - Booze, chocolate, sweet wet cardboard.

T - Sweet chocolate, booze, coffee.

D - Heavy body with a low carbonation and a sweet finish.

O - The smell worried me with some oxidization, but it tasted very nice.

09-25-2012 05:34:30 | More by HuskyinPDX
Steigede

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

2012 year. Poured very dark, beautiful tan head, very viscous almost syrupy. Tastes of plum, chocolate, coffee, soy sauce (I think this may have been due to the alcohol content?, dark fruits. VERY intense flavors. I do not think I could finish a bottle on my own if I really tried. Smelled amazing. Great experience. Could taste residual alcohol. I'm looking forward to tasting it after aging to see if these intense flavors mellow out.

09-24-2012 21:55:50 | More by Steigede
matttttYCE

Arizona

3.83/5  rDev -10.7%

Review #150! 2012 vintage from to stxSS07. Thanks again Matt! You're awesome.

Pour is pretty viscous, exceedingly black, light on the dark tan head that does form, quick for it to fade away, and the lace is basically non-existent.

Initially doesn't seem boozy at all, which I expected it to be, but it's certainly complex. Plenty of rich malty notes, charred malts to some extent, sweetness from the sugar, lots of dark fruit notes like figs plums raisins etc., black licorice, light molasses, hints of cola and soy sauce in the background. I expected more coffee. As it warms I do get some light coffee mixed with what I assume is the Mexican vanilla, but they're both light.

This is one damn big beer, that's for sure. Not just in alcohol content but in flavor and richnes/sweetness. I see what many people say when they refer to this as cloyingly sweet (but that's not stopping me from tackling this by myself). Anyways I'm getting tons of dark fruits, plums figs, port wine notes even, burnt brown sugar, currants, rich chocolate (almost bittersweet), molasses, cola, light coffee, and, like the nose again, some soy sauce.

Big, chewy body, viscous and oily consistency, mouth coating, carbonation is light, and the finish is very sweet, coats the throat, and leaves some more remnants of the taste sticking around for a bit.

Alright, maybe it was a bad idea trying to tackle this entire bottle myself, but go big or go home right? Anyways, I think my friend Paul (azdback) put it pretty well when describing this beer as "A must try but IMO not the holy grail." I found the combination of whatever they used in this that resulted in soy sauce notes that come out a bit more as it warms to be what didn't take this RIS to the upper tier of its class for me. Still complex, unique, and good in it's own right, just not holy grail quality, at least not this vintage currently. Perhaps it's much better with substantial age. Anyways, again a big thanks to Matt for this bottle! It has been something I've been wanting to try since I got into craft beer and heard about this beer. And I'm quite glad I did get to try it. Not so glad I didn't split this with another person though. Seriously, the mouthfeel is big and awesome but this is a tough one to tackle solo even for me.

09-15-2012 09:55:09 | More by matttttYCE
kevanb

3.63/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2012 bottle, red wax. Review is from notes. Enjoyed on 9/8/2012

The beer pours a super thick and viscous texture, jet black in color with milder brown hues when struck by the light. A dark brown head makes a small appearance, thick tight bubbles, looks fantastic, but vanishes almost immediately, and at 15% it's not unreasonable, but I do wish it stuck around longer. A thin film hangs out on top of the beer and amasses around the rim of the glass. No lacing to speak of. The aroma is extremely sweet, with molasses, chocolate malts, licorice, anise and subtle tones of coffee, but the sweetness really takes over this aroma. The flavors are also very sweet, but there is more roast now than when it was served fresh. Molasses, licorice, lots of sweet chocolate, alcohol is present, there is some creaminess to this beer as well and the sweetness isn't a bad thing in that regard, roasted coffee does come out in the end, a big element that was missing fresh. Hints of charred chocolate and dark fruits are also beginning to show signs of life. The body is perfect, huge, rich, viscous and spot on for a massive RIS.

Verdict: It's a bold RIS and at 15% takes no prisoners. I ragged on this beer fresh in 2011 and again in 2012, but it's starting to come around and in 2 years, this will be great. 2009 is tasting extremely good right now and while it may be at it's peak, there is no doubt that this beer is well made and worth seeking out, but I'd have to recommend that you try it at various stages in it's life before making a snap judgement about it's merit.

09-10-2012 20:25:05 | More by kevanb
sukwonee

Washington

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2012 vintage
Poured into Lost Abbey Teku glass

A: Black thick motor oil like body with quarter finger head that remains

S: Brown sugar, some dark fruit (cherries, apple), caramel

T: For those that mentioned below that it tastes like soy sauce - I do get your point, but guys, this is an awesome beer. Maybe all the negative comments lowered my expectation of this haha. I find this beer to be very delicious and unique. Maybe a tad bit on the sweet side. Alcohol taste is barely there.

M: Perfect. Syrupy, chewy, rich, and surprisingly not hot at all.

O: Awesome beer. I think this beer age tremendously. I would love the chance try its variations.

09-01-2012 02:54:14 | More by sukwonee
claspada

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

Update: Sampled the 2006 version this past weekend (9/21/12) and it was exponentially better than the newer examples and it wasn't an age difference. The smaller batches of this were much better according to HimerMan who brought out this gem and I have no reason to challenge him; ramping up production of any beer will undoubtedly lower quality as with anything, food, beer or otherwise.

Pre-2007 Rating: 4.25 but I'm leaving the rating here to reflect newer examples as that is what most will find available.

Sampled the White Wax (2009) and the Yellow Wax (2011) back to back. I'll review the older vintage despite there being very little difference between the two.

Pours a deep dark viscous black color with a thin brown head that fades to leave some thin lacing on the glass.

Aromas begin with dark robust roasted malts, dark and milk chocolate and roasted coffee beans. As it warms I can get some of the dark fruit notes as well as the faintest note of hops.

The tastes follow the nose with some semi-sweet dark chocolate complemented by mild flavors of espresso and dark caramelized malts. The malt character is as hearty as you will find with a mild bitter hop presence. As it warms you get some of the dark fruits (prunes) and some emerging boozy alcohol. The flavors get increasingly sweet to the point of being a chore to finish.

The mouthfeel is extremely heavy bodied with light-to-medium carbonation. The finish is sticky and borders on being cloyingly sweet if not for the extreme roasted malts to add some dry character.

Overall, 5 years ago this may have been a revolutionary beer that may have deserved such high praise but in today's ever expanded craft beer world this is merely ordinary. Not that is is a bad beer but it's not one I particularly ever need to have again, especially with the limited bottle count and one day a year release in Indiana.

08-23-2012 20:08:39 | More by claspada
ControlledBurn

2.95/5  rDev -31.2%

2012 vintage shared by metempsychosis on 18 August 2012

Appearance:
Black as your ex-wife's heart with a very thin tan head

Smell:
Sugary, chocolatey, fruity

Taste:
Very cloying, hard to find much else to taste beyond the sweetness. Surprisingly not much alcohol taste to it for such a young big beer.

Mouthfeel:
Full body, but little carbonation, quite sticky feeling

Overall:
I wanted to like this beer, but its cloying taste was too much; I had to force myself to finish the 3oz glass I had. The sweetness overpowered everything in the brew and it was too one-dimensional because of it.

08-20-2012 19:52:59 | More by ControlledBurn
RblWthACoz

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%

It's with much reservation (yet, interest and excitement) that I finally crack open my 2009 Dark Lord. I have no recollection who sent this to me, but hey, whoever you are, thanks.

Hands down, this is the most viscous beer I have ever had. It's so thick that it alters how the carbonation operates, I think. Nose was all molasses. Flavor is extremely thick with malts, touches of molasses and chocolate (just a hint, ya know). Pronounced bitterness in a stout-ish kinda way. I really feel like this whole thing just rests on how thick the liquid is. If for nothing else (as if you really need a reason to try and get one of these), it's worth it just to experience how thick this is. I can almost chew on it. Almost. Lives up to the hype, though, I wouldn't have minded some more complexity on the flavor profile.

08-19-2012 08:09:37 | More by RblWthACoz
tut2528

3.48/5  rDev -18.9%

Big shout out to Woodjjacct for bringing this beast to the tasting!

A: pour is a deep black, very minimal head formation (but it does slightly occur).. Zero lacing. Swirling creating a thin tan-colored film.

S: alcohol soaked raisins and huge molasses dominate the aromas. I also pick up on strong tobacco, dark fruits (plums, raisins, figs), some pepper, a slight sour black berry, ABV hardly detectable. Its massively complex but not all that well balance.

T: wow, this is sooo damn sweet! So massively complex it’s hard to describe each aspect. Huge dark fruits dominate the palate (big raisins, plums, black berry, tart cherry), big sugar notes, brown sugar, strong creamy finish, again quite off balance.

M: taste buds freak out with every sip… leaves a sugary film along the front of the teeth that is quite enjoyable but at the same time overly cloying. Full-bodied, can definitely chew this one. ABV is completely hidden by the massive sweetness.

O: wasn’t so sure on what to expect of this brew. And I was shocked by how sweet this brew was. Drinks more like a Brandy than a beer. The huge amount of dark fruits and sugar make this one hard to comprehend. It rivals Southern Tier Crème Brulee as far as sweetness IMO.

08-11-2012 05:12:48 | More by tut2528
sleuthdog

3.33/5  rDev -22.4%

Epic tasting ending with Dark Lord 2012 vintage
Thanks to woodjjacct for sharing this one!

Appearance: Black as night with no head formation. Swirling does create a one finger head but it does dissapate quickly. Absolutly no light penetration at all even when held up to light. Your typical RIS in appearance.

Smell: Big time molasses notes with the dark fruits taking a center stage. Sweet very sweet with alcohol soaked figs. Some dark maybe blackberries evident and some tobacco notes. Leather is also noted at the tail end.

Taste: This is one enormous beer! Very, very sweet with alcohol soaked dark fruit jumping out at me. Molasses and brown sugar very evident and the sweetness lingers forever. I feel as though the beer has literally stuck to my teeth, gums, and tongue. A trip to the dentist tomorrow may be needed. The sweet sticky feel just does not leave at all. It is very chewy at the same time. No alcohol to speak of.

Mouthfeel: This is very creamy and no carbonation and so so palate covering that its hard to believe. It covers all of my mouth and lips to the point that it is cloying.

Overall: This was an enjoyable experience but wow what a sugar bomb! If you don't have a buddy or two to share with you may by in trouble IMO

08-11-2012 04:45:17 | More by sleuthdog
alexipa

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -39.4%

2012 as a part of an Imperial Stout tasting. This was the unanimous last place beer.

A: Black. Little head that dissipates to nothing quickly.

S: Smells of sweet booze, some dark fruit notes in there as well. This was my favorite part of the experience.

T: As soon as I tasted this, I thought turkey gravy. It tasted like turkey meat had been marinating in the bottle for months. Once I got past this horrible taste, there was some decent complexity hidden in there.

M: Pretty good carbonation, the right amount of heat, nice and smooth.

O: If I had an entire bottle to myself, I would have drain poured this. I'm glad I didn't actively seek this out and it was treated as an extra at the otherwise fantastic tasting.

08-10-2012 18:37:50 | More by alexipa
pmarlowe

District of Columbia

2.65/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

2011 vintage (yellow wax). Tulip glass. Thanks to seeswo for this.

A: Pours thin, very dark brown with a ring of tannish head. A few minutes in, the surface looks flat. No lacing.

S: Charred, roasted malt and vanilla, some cola and milk chocolate. Smells sweetish.

T: Super sweet, like drinking cola spiked with chocolate milk. Wow, this is way too sweet.

M: Full bodied and very light carbonation. So thick, like drinking straight up cream.

O: So sweet and thick, I can't finish more than a little. Ugh, truly gross. Drainpour.

08-09-2012 04:35:52 | More by pmarlowe
strengthdoc

Connecticut

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Deep black in color, light tan head and mild lacing. Nice aroma of chocolate, mild alcohol, and lightly roasted malt. Wonderful silky mouthfeel with a nice alcohol warmth. Nice taste of milk chocolate and alcohol with a mildly sweet finish. This is an excellent beer.

08-04-2012 22:03:44 | More by strengthdoc
inlimbo77

Delaware

3.85/5  rDev -10.3%

22oz bottle. 2012 vintage.
Unmarked snifter

A: Pours a really deep dark black with subtle reddish edges. It really wasn't as thick as I remember from earlier batches I have had. Seems like the carbonation is low. Didn't get any head on this one aside from the tan ring on the edges of the glass. Leaves some lacing bits of tan. Some dark sheeting when you swirl it.

S: I really was taken aback by the nose on this one. I was expecting more coffee and chocolate hints. But what I got was lots of port wine like notes. Dark fruit. Someone mentioned sweet soy sauce and I get that thought. I also smell the booze.

T: Wow, surprised how sweet this is. I get a lot of that port wine like character. Not the coffee or the roast, and low bitterness. Strange. I get more dark fruit: prune and plum. The alcohol is there but hidden which was really surprising. There is some heat on the back end, but for 15% it wasn't anywhere near what I thought it was going to be.

M: Full bodied. Sweet syrupy.

O: B

08-03-2012 13:30:55 | More by inlimbo77
claaark13

Indiana

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A long day left me jones'n for a thick RIS. Since Thomas sent this over as an extra in a super-box (thank you!), I decided to give the 2012 DL one last shot before 2013. Poured at cellar temp into a Hill Farmstead tulip.

A - Pours pretty dark, light tan and short head that quickly becomes lacing. Looks thick, but the lacing doesn't stick well at all to the glass. The rest is pretty good. The weak legs is all that's holding this back.

S - Sweet soy sauce. Some roast seems to be there, but it is covered in sugar. Notes of sweetened condensed milk and coffee. At some points it makes me think of this 50/50 condensed milk and espresso I once tried.

T - Sweet dark fruits, molasses, coffee. Lots of sugar. Sweet coffee and dark malts become so dominating. It doesn't seem too complex once the middle starts. The sweetness starts to subside in the finish and non-sugared coffee shows itself. I don't get any booze, which is impressive.

M - Very thick; not the thickest, but very thick.

O - It is better than most shelf-RIS in my opinion. In a world of Hill Farmstead, Surly and Cigar City, and Bruery, I have a tough time with DL. An immense amount of sweetness really covers the flavors. Any transition between flavors tastes like sugar. This bottle is miles beyond what I tried at DLD though, so it has improved. FFF should just throw all of their DL in barrels and be done with it.

08-03-2012 01:12:54 | More by claaark13
codysjb

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

Three Floyds Dark Lord
Cracked my 2010 bottle on 07/31/12… thanks to tutes3 for this, it was free from a beer contest in Feb of 2011.
A: Motor oil jet back with a very small amount of brown foam. Virtually no head.
S: I smelled it from the bottle a soon as I opened it, my friend next to me smelled it when he was standing a few feet away. Coffee, Caramel and chocolate amazing.
T: coffee first turning into a classic RIS with good carbonation finishing on some slight alcohol burn and ending in toffee flavoring. WOW.
M:Lots of carbonation and coffee here
O: Amazing, certainly one of the best beers I’ve had except for BCBCS

08-01-2012 16:26:00 | More by codysjb
Dennoman

3.08/5  rDev -28.2%

2011 vintage (yellow wax), poured into a snifter.

A: Ruby red into mahogany brown, nowhere near as black as I like my big stouts to be. More reminiscent of a strong porter, has an awkward Coca Cola quality to it. Tan brown head, all in all it looks quite average.

S: Even at room temperature, I didn't get heaps off the smell. Minor coffee, caramel and dark fruits, but mostly booze and sugar. Slight irony notes, sickly sweetness and verging on unpleasant.

T: Caramel and dark fruits, no bitterness and no alcohol. Alcohol rushes in on the aftertaste, leading to a very dry finish that leaves almost nothing on the palate.

M: Sticky, oily and dry.

O: The hype completely killed this beer for me. I went into it with the thought: "with all the fuss, it had better be amazing" and it was a disappointing, unbalanced and sickly sweet mess. Any notes other than sugar were few and far between, leading to one of the most disappointing beer tastings I've ever undertaken. The sad demise of a would-be champion.

Reading all the reviews that praise this beer into the heavens, I wonder if either they or I were drinking something completely different from the same bottle.

07-17-2012 13:25:42 | More by Dennoman
mgp2675

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

2012 Vintage, trying this bad boy nice and fresh.

A- Pours a dark brown color, but is completely black while it sits...definitely doesn't look as thick as I had been expecting until you see how it literally coats the glass when you give it a swirl. It had a mocha colored head on it but that didn't last very long.

S- Very sweet upfront, tons of booze too. This thing smells like it's going to wreck your throat at first, but there are definitely some traditional aromas in there: bitter chocolate, dark fruit, hint of coffee, some smoke at the end of it.

T- Honestly the initial sip was amazing for a non-barrel aged RIS. The first thing I thought of was how incredibly smooth it was for having such a boozy aroma. After that however, things changed a bit. To me a good stout gets better as it warms up, this just got sweeter. By the time this was at cellar temp I felt like I was drinking liquid candy. Some of the flavors I got: chocolate, caramel, smoke. Just so damn sweet it's ridiculous.

M- The best part of this beer by far, because it was nice and thick like I had heard and like I had hoped for.

O- When a beer has been around for as long as this one and has been tried and reviewed by as many people as it has, you have so much to expect. At first, this blew me away and completely silenced any criticism I would've had toward it, but sadly it got worse for me as it warmed up. I wanted to compare this to Marshal Zhukov's, because that is to date the best non-barrel aged RIS I've ever had. But Dark Lord to me was a much sweeter version of a traditional RIS. It had the coffee notes and the smokiness that many of them have, but nothing stood out besides how damn sweet it was. I'm actually amazed this was a fresh bottle, I thought it was a 2004 for a minute and we got it messed up cause of the wax color. But it was a 2012, and it was just way too sweet.

Worth trying for a stout lover, but it's not up there with the best of them in my book.

07-17-2012 04:57:13 | More by mgp2675
timjr2500

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

First things first. This beer is not to be trusted, it will lead you to believe that you are more than just a mere mortal. In fact it may even have you believing you are some type of Lord of darkness yourself, but do not be deceived.

It pours like some kind of dark, mischievous syrup that springs forth from the dungeons of hell. It slides down the glass like its being drug back into the far reaches of the hell from which it came.

At just under room temperature it smells of sweet coffee and that traditional alcohol that all the best imperials have. But something really stands out in the nose beyond what other traditional stouts possess and it comes back to that sweet smell. It isn't overly steeped with coffee or smoke, it ironically leans towards the dainty side.

Any doubts you may have about the flavor, due to the unfair sweetness, are quickly diminished as the Lord oozes across your tongue. The perfect blend of molasses, slight coffee, and only the most purely demonic ingredients. SO pure in fact that they transform the beer into something more. So much more that you forget you're drinking a beverage designed to crush you like the mere mortal that you are. One bomber of this and you'll be speaking in tongues and selling your soul for another.

Pair this beer with red meat, human flesh, or .. whichever you prefer.

07-17-2012 00:00:52 | More by timjr2500
VncentLIFE

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%

An extra from heatwave33! an extra, yes an extra.

They werent kidding when they said black. This thing pours black as the heart of the devil from the first ounce to the last. No carbonation, but at 15%, I dont mind. Very ominous.

The smell syrupy sweet, with a hint of roasted malt and coffee. Sweet and dark chocolate notes as well. Sweet plum/raisin/prune laden booze (think raisin rum at Christmas).

Very complex (most compex that I think I've had). The first noticeable thing is how syrupy and sweet it is. Like the smell would say, its laden with dark fruit. Prunes and very sweet raisins are everywhere. Light smokiness as well. Slight alcohol burn comes in late. It finishes exceptionally sweet and smooth, with that syrupy feeling really lingering around.

The mouthfeel vaguely reminds me of the scene from Super Troopers, "Relax the throat. And dont forget to cup the balls." Maybe an exaggeration, but you get the idea. Very thick mouthfeel, very syrupy. I got the same feeling from Better Half on tap, but it works here. Theres just enough coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt to accent the sweetness (barely). Anymore sweet or less roasty, and we'd have a problem.

Overall, I can see why its rated so highly. Its in its own little category of high gravity RISs, plus the hype helps the flavor a bit. It adds to the excitement of first trying it. If your'e not excited at an opportunity to try Dark Lord for the first time, then youre not a beer geek. I can also see how Barrel Aging this puppy would make it better. Add some bourbon/brandy and some vanilla, and DAMN.

07-11-2012 19:46:13 | More by VncentLIFE
BeerLover99

4.48/5  rDev +4.4%

A: onyx body, light tan head, solid lacing

S: big nose of dark chocolate, roasted coffee,
molasses, vanilla/licorice

T: roasted coffee, licorice, vanilla, dark chocolate,
boozy molasses, bitter/chewy finish

M: heavy/creamy body, smooth/chewy mouth

O: POW! Insane nose and flavor. One of my
favorite styles and been seeking this bottle
for years. Highly recommend and would get again.

OUTSTANDING, MUST TRY!

(2010)

07-08-2012 21:37:36 | More by BeerLover99
WillCarrera

2.33/5  rDev -45.7%

8 oz pour, had this on-tap at DLD 2012, finally got around to reviewing this from notes.

A- Pours pitch black, very thick looking, produces no head at all, just an ominous pool of black.

S- Incredibly sweet aroma, molasses and caramel/toffee, some dark fruit and some booze, the aroma is nice but the sweetness is already concerning.

T- Jesus. Sweetness is unbelievable and highly cloying. All I'm getting is a mouth full of sugar. There are flavors beneath it, I'm getting molasses, caramel, fruit, some roast, coffee and booze, but in order to find them you have to first penetrate beneath this incredibly powerful sugar. The first thing I said after drinking it was "does it need to be this sweet?"

M- Full-bodied, massively thick, sticky, chewy feel, these are great attributes on their own, but in this beer the thickness and lingering sugar actually become pretty unpleasant in combination.

O- A huge disappointment, I had heard great things about this beer and was really looking forward to it, but what an under-attenuated, cloying nightmare this turned out to be. I struggled through an 8-oz pour. People actually like this beer?

07-01-2012 23:20:26 | More by WillCarrera
Onenote81

3.68/5  rDev -14.2%

Vintage 2010. Poured into a snifter. Pours gluggingly a deep black. Sits heavy in the glass, and from it proceeds a thick mocha frothy head. The aroma is reminiscent of a stepping into the dwellings of a chocolatier. Big sweet chocolate notes, licorice, ethanol burn on the end.

The body is warm, viscous, and palate-coating. Has held up well after 2 years of utter darkness. Subtle carbonation play on the tongue. Starts out with a sweet kiss of milk chocolate. The sweetness melds well with the mildly bitter character, but then the soy sauce-like flavor kicks in. Alcohol is noticeable, and adds a nice touch of warmness on the back end. This is good, though, this beer seems lacking somehow. Glad I had it, and glad I aged it, but I'd like a fresh one to compare it to, no doubt.

06-28-2012 19:24:10 | More by Onenote81
Dope

2.78/5  rDev -35.2%

2011 version, almost exactly a year old.

A: Pours black with a small milk chocolate colored head. Leaves almost no lacing.

S: Smells strongly of molasses, coffee and... soy sauce? That's interesting. Hard to get anything past that once you hit the soy sauce.

T: Loaded with molasses and coffee up front. Start to get a little chocolate and then the soy sauce kicks in with a vengeance. Very sweet on the back end with tons of molasses and that lingering soy sauce flavor. Overpowering sweet. Doesn't really even have any stout-like quality. It's like an iced english barleywine that someone poured soy sauce into.

M: Thick, heavy, cloying.

O: This beer is depressing. I have been wanting to try this for a long time and it's just a mess of pure soy sauce. It actually makes me cringe when I sip it once the soy sauce kicks in. The other flavors aren't too bad, you can tell this had the makings of a great beer. I'm not sure if the soy sauce is an off flavor or if it's part of the molasses or what. Can't be a bad bottle since other people mention it now that I read the reviews. I've had worse, but not much worse. Undrinkable due to the soy sauce and the overpowering cloying sweetness. This is coming from a guy who just gave Creme Brulee a rave review a few weeks ago.

06-21-2012 03:08:38 | More by Dope